Carb Counters - Leptin Prescription accountability

geoblewis
01-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Lately I've been dipping into the carbs on occasion. When I do that, I tend to overeat and cravings go through the roof! I feel really lethargic and unmotivated to workout, and the weight starts creeping back on. I've also had a couple injuries from poor form (losing focus and getting sloppy), and the injuries have resulted in some inflammation. I've gained 11 lbs in the last two weeks, up and down within that range (like 7 lbs overnight gains from water retention). I need to do something about this and get back on track!

One thing I want to do is clean up my diet, again. I found a Dr. Kruse online who talks about leptin resistance (http://jackkruse.com/my-leptin-prescription/). Since his "cure" is all about the low carb, I thought I'd start a post in this forum to come to daily and record what I've eaten. I need accountability to help me stay on track.

My dietary goals for the next week:

Keep daily calories under 1570 - that's 500 calories below RMR.
Start my day with 50 - 70 gm protein.
Keep total daily net carbs under 25 gm. (Daily carbs minus fiber).
No between-meal snacking.
Only three meals a day.
No eating after 6:30 pm.
Stay faithful to my vitamin supplement regimen.My fitness goals for the next week:

Only weight training and Pilates, and only in the afternoon/evenings.
Proper warm-up and cool-down sequences, especially for hip flexors and shoulders.Other goals that contribute to my success:

Accountability (coming here and other support forums)
Sleep hygiene (8 hours of sleep on a regular schedule)
Staying on schedule
Keeping my environment tidyThis sounds like such a boring life! But I have goals and there's still plenty of room for spontanity and fun. I don't need to find it in food.

I forgot to add this...starting weight for this little personal challenge: 305 lbs.
And I'm staying on this challenge/program for the next 12 weeks.

geoblewis
01-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Mixed bag of achievements today.

Breakfast: Chard, spinach, chicken breast and scrambled eggs cooked in coconut oil. I did well, not needing to eat till 1:30 pm.

Lunch: Lean beef top sirloin and cabbage cooked in coconut oil. I enjoyed this meal, but felt hungry again within a couple hours.

Snack: raw almonds. How I dealt with the afternoon munchies. Always the most ravenous time of the day for me.

Dinner: 3 slices medium pizza and a glass of root beer. My boys ordered pizza and I caved to it!

Total calories: 2199
Total protein: 170 gm
Total fat: 115 gm
Total carbs: 128 gm
Total fiber: 18 gm

I took my vitamins. No exercise (It's my day off). Had a great night's sleep last night (8 hours).

Tomorrow, the goal is to work on cutting carbs even more. And need to work harder on limiting calories. I should count out my almonds and eat them from a small bowl, not handfuls straight from the bag. And the pizza delivery was unusual for us. Don't normally do that. More non-starchy vegetables. Less protein at breakfast.

geoblewis
01-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Only got 5.5 hours of sleep last night. Got to bed late, then winds blew open my front door and I didn't find out about it till 4 a.m. Then I just lay in bed worrying if the Boogey Man came in and when he was going to attack me! Stress not good for sleep!

Weight: 300.5 lbs.

Breakfast: Chard, top sirloin beef and an egg, all cooked in coconut oil, then a slice of Julian Bakery Amazing Sourdough Bread and an ounce of cheddar cheese. And I still felt noshy, so I had an Applegate Farm beef hot dog. Totally went too high on protein, but I didn't feel hunger again till 1:00 pm.

Lunch: Primal Fuel Dark Chocolate meal replacement shake, plus added psyllium husk. (Really need to add fiber.)

Dinner: Chicken breast, cheddar cheese, sourdough bread, mayonnaise, sweet potato, butter, raw almonds, 70% dark chocolate

Total calories: 2225
Total protein: 159 gm
Total fat: 200 gm
Total carbs: 118 gm
Total fiber: 35 gm

Happy to see a weight loss, but still eating too many calories. Now shooting for protein at around 110 gm. Definitely less than how much I ate today. I did manage to quit eating by 6:30, and I increased my fiber substantially. I think I'm controlling my hunger a little bit better, but not much.

Went to Pilates class in the morning. Felt great! Took all my vitamins.

geoblewis
01-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Only got 8 hours of sleep last night, but oddly, I'm feeling quite sleepy a couple hours after I woke up. I've got a soy sensitivity that affects me like this, but I don't know what I could have eaten that did this to me. It's food I've eaten in the past from which I didn't get a reaction.

Woke up after a disturbing dream about where my life is headed, or not headed at all. Grrrr! Has me in a funk already!

Weight: 299.5 lbs.

Breakfast: Chicken breast and salsa cooked with coconut oil, over a slice of Julian Bakery Amazing Sourdough Bread.

Lunch: Half-n-half in my coffee, lamb curry with sweet potatoes and peas

Dinner: The curry was so good I had to have it for dinner! Plus quesedillas with corn tortillas and cheese, and a couple oranges for dessert

Total calories: 2007
Total protein: 185 gm
Total fat: 79 gm
Total carbs: 134 gm
Total fiber: 26 gm

So, calories definitely down since yesterday (yeah!). Hope tomorrow I'll be able to achieve that! Protein up, fat way down, carbs up, fiber down...still have more tweaking to do on the diet. Done eating by 7 pm.

An hour of weight training. Felt so good! Forgot to take my vitamins. I'll take some before bed.

geoblewis
01-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Not sure what to do today. I have a wine and cheese event to attend tonight. I want to participate, but plan to only eat very tiny bits of cheese, just to taste. And a glass of wine. I estimate having about 300 calories of wine and cheese total.

Additionally, having problems losing more weight. Just weighed in at 300 lbs this morning. I want to cut more calories, but once I start eating, the struggle to limit calories returns. Still, I committed to trying this leptin reset thing, so I have to stick to my rules. Initially I was going to fast for the day till the wine and cheese.

So it's later in the day now. I fussed over so much stuff to do this morning that I barely had time to eat something before going to Pilates.

Breakfast: Applegate Farms Great Organic Beef Hot-dogs, and coffee with half and half

Lunch: Julian Bakery Amazing Sourdough bread, red sockey salmon mixed with a little mayonnaise, raw almonds (took all my vitamins at lunch), Primal Fuel Dark Chocolate meal replacement shake, plus added psyllium husk

Dinner: Cauliflower with olive oil, chicken breast, cheese and wine

Total calories: 1945
Total protein: 141 gm
Total fat: 252 gm
Total carbs: 95 gm
Total fiber: 52 gm

Calories down a little more. Protein down a little. Carbs down and fiber way up! Oooops, fat too high! Well, it's what I get for adding so much exercise the last couple weeks. Done eating by 5:30 pm, but the wine and cheese are a bit later in the evening. Hope to get a full 8 hours of sleep tonight. Only slept 6.5 hours last night.

geoblewis
01-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Only got 5.5 hours of sleep last night. I think the wine I had disrupted my sleep cycle. Plus I was stressing over some work and family issues.

Scale said 297.5 this morning. I'm not sure why. I actually ate more cheese than I had anticipated I would last night, about 300 calories more. I was only in deficit (including exercise) by 152 calories. Personally, I think there's very little weight loss effect in exercise, or at least the amount of exercise that I do. It just builds more muscle on me and makes me hungrier! But I have been leaning out while remaining at the same weight.

I have increased my fiber appreciably and I've been taking magnesium and I'm still not having much BM. Like every third day. Very slow colon!?

Breakfast: hard cooked eggs and half-n-half in my coffee. Not as much protein as required by leptin scrip, but I just wasn't hungry.

Lunch: And I made up for it at lunch...lamb and lamb curry leftovers, sauteed spinach, popcorn with olive oil.

Dinner: half-n-half in another cup of coffee

Total calories: 1870
Total protein: 160 gm
Total fat: 102 gm
Total carbs: 70 gm
Total fiber: 15 gm

Well, I like the lower calories since I started, but I still didn't seem to be able to cut back on protein. Fats way down since yesterday! And look how low the carbs are! But not enough fiber.

No exercise today. Lack of sleep really messes with me and I don't exercise or get anything else done. Early to bed tonight!

geoblewis
01-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Great night's sleep and I'm feeling a little more energy this morning. (7.5 hours) Weighed in a 296.5 lbs. (3.5 lbs till my lowest pre-holidaze weight)

Dressed for Pilates, kitchen dishes done, ready to start the day!

Breakfast: Can of Crowne Prince pole-caught yellowfin tuna packed in water (not processed with soybean oil), a little olive oil and Julian Bakery Amazing Sourdough Bread (I know it's not Paleo but it is higher in protein and most of the carbs in it are fiber. And I kinda need that right now!) Sauteed spinach too.

Kinda tired of eggs right now.

Lunch: chicken breast, brown rice medley, lamb curry (this is where I started going "off the reservation" on eating today)

Dinner: Appetizer medley and chocolate birthday cake with ice cream. And a margarita!

Total calories: 2948
Total protein: 166 gm
Total fat: 118 gm
Total carbs: 258 gm
Total fiber: 23 gm

geoblewis
01-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Definitely not enough sleep last night, but I added an hour nap earlier in the day yesterday for a total of 7 hours. I think I'll take a little nap this afternoon.

So happy the scale is sweet to me today. 295 lbs. (2 lbs till my lowest pre-holidaze weight) I think I'll weigh in once more tomorrow morning and then put the scale away for the next 10 weeks while I'm really working out harder. Don't want to get disappointed by DOMS all the time.

But today is definitely a non-exercise day. I need a break!

Breakfast: Applegate hot dog, then cream in my Starbucks coffee and a bacon-gouda sandwich. Soy in it making me sleepy. And too many carbs!

Lunch: Very early lunch/snack of chard tart. I got hungry, I think because I had too many carbs in the morning. Kept wanting carbs throughout the day after that.

Dinner: Really got hungry early for dinner and made poor choices. More chard tart, turkey meatballs, dark chocolate, raw almonds. Wait, those choices don't sound poor. Except that I've overeaten fats! But protein intake looks great!

I had dinner rather early, hoped to quit eating then as well, but it's one of those insatiable appetite days, fed by the start of my intermittent period. Ate another 532 calories!!! Didn't really want to admit to it, but here it is.

Total calories: 3046
Total protein: 158 gm
Total fat: 396 gm
Total carbs: 227 gm
Total fiber: 17 gm

One really good accomplishment...sometimes I feel exhausted on the first day of my period. But this evening, I felt a burst of motivation fueling me and I was able to clean my whole bedroom. Trash tossed, papers filed, everything dusted and vacuumed, clean clothes put away, laundry started, sheets changed. Tomorrow I'll be free to finish the laundry and get all that put away and get some real work done on projects!

geoblewis
01-29-2012, 01:48 PM
It was really nice to wake up to a clean bedroom. REALLY nice. But I guess it leads to an imbalance in the universe, because while my bedroom is now clean, my sons have wrought their evil boy scum on the rest of the house. Going to use me tremendous cramps and pissy menstrual mood to get them to clean the house. Must be used as a force for good!

So, as expected, up two pounds since yesterday...297. Stupid premenstrual carb cravings! And I'm exhausted too, just a couple hours after waking up. I'm going to be worthless for another day. Maybe I'll be too tired to eat!

As it turns out, not too tired to eat, but definitely too tired to cook properly. So that got my calories down since yesterday, and kept protein down lower and carbs closer to desired levels.

Breakfast: skipped it till later in the day.

Lunch: actually when I had breakfast...applewood smoked bacon and an egg, plus Julian sourdough bread

Mid afternoon snack: because I didn't have breakfast, I went sorta nuts...hot dogs and kimchi, cheese, almonds, some leftover chard tart

Dinner: snacking on dark chocolate and a few low-fat pita chips. Now I want an orange.

Total calories: 2391
Total protein: 100 gm
Total fat: 306 gm (yikes! I gotta lay off the hot dogs!)
Total carbs: 152 gm
Total fiber: 23 gm

I want to start skipping meals until I'm really hungry. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

geoblewis
01-30-2012, 06:24 PM
House seems to be entirely in order, the laundry is all done, my bedroom is still clean, I'm getting work done...then why do I feel so awful! Like something bad is going to happen? That's called ADD Inattentive! I get such anxiety from accomplishment!

This morning I made a big pot of cabbage soup. I have to say, it is pretty darn delicious! I put a whole head of cabbage in it, an onion, garlic, and a few cups of tomato sauce I made at the end of the season last year that included peppers and carrots. Also added celery, kale and parsley. Cooked it all in some vegetable and chicken broth. Finished it with lemon juice. And after two big bowls full, I am quite farty! But still feeling hungry, so I cooked some chicken thighs. And I'm still feeling hungry! I don't understand. Plenty of volume from vegetables, plenty of protein, plenty of water...and still the gnawing feeling. I'm just going to wait it out for a couple hours and hopefully the food will hit my bloodstream soon and I'll start feeling more settled.

Breakfast: egg and egg whites with spinach and a little feta cheese, wrapped in a whole grain tortilla

Lunch: cabbage soup and chicken thighs. I was able to hold off eating again till dinner

Dinner: Subway turkey salad with avocado, Julian bread with cheddar, a few walnuts and an orange

Total calories: 2169
Total protein: 152 gm
Total fat: 124 gm (MUCH better than yesterday!)
Total carbs: 126 gm
Total fiber: 35 gm

I think I'm going to weigh less tomorrow because I'm feeling so cold tonight!

geoblewis
01-31-2012, 01:28 PM
I made waffles for my boys this morning. I ate one. Not a good idea! Made me sleepy. It didn't help that I only slept 5.5 hours last night. Woke up at 4:30 and could not get back to sleep. And now I'm kinda blitzed on the carbs but have to work. More coffee please!

Breakfast: Yeasted whole wheat waffle, scrambled egg and egg whites cooked in ghee, Applegate Farms Canadian bacon, an orange.

emmveepee
02-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Haven't heard from you in a couple days.

geoblewis
02-02-2012, 05:14 PM
:rofl:MVP! I really didn't think anybody else was following along. And I fell into an almond frangipane croissant which domino'd into a series of carb-related crimes. I couldn't bring myself to admit it. I didn't go over my RMR calories for two days, but I still gained weight.

So...getting back on the wagon. Actually, I'm going to stay as close to this Leptin Prescription thing as I can over the weekend, but am leaving room for a little indulgence. My birthday is Sunday and I'm going to do a bit of celebrating with my friends all weekend. Then on Monday, I'm going to be back here with a report.

Thank you, MVP. I appreciate the accountability.

thistoo
02-02-2012, 07:15 PM
I'm reading too. I keep thinking I should do a daily posting of my Whole 30 experience much like you're doing, but then I get lazy.

emmveepee
02-03-2012, 04:26 PM
:rofl:MVP! I really didn't think anybody else was following along. And I fell into an almond frangipane croissant which domino'd into a series of carb-related crimes. I couldn't bring myself to admit it. I didn't go over my RMR calories for two days, but I still gained weight.

So...getting back on the wagon. Actually, I'm going to stay as close to this Leptin Prescription thing as I can over the weekend, but am leaving room for a little indulgence. My birthday is Sunday and I'm going to do a bit of celebrating with my friends all weekend. Then on Monday, I'm going to be back here with a report.

Thank you, MVP. I appreciate the accountability.

Nothing wrong with birthday cake, as long as you come back. Keep in mind, the first 2 weeks are the hardest!

I keep some atkins snack bars close by in case I feel like cheating - guilt free!

geoblewis
02-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Been sick since Friday, so not much birthday celebrating going on. Plans to celebrate with girlfriends have been commuted to later this week when I'm feeling better.

So, the food plan over the weekend kinda went out the window. Just concentrated on drinking water/tea and ate a lot of vegetable soup. I'm actually feeling bloaty because of the salt in the soup. It was home made, but the chef was not thinking clearly!

I am back on the right track today! Thanks for checking in with me and making me accountable! I've been kinda fooling myself, letting too many carbs slide in recently. Thinking it wasn't going to really matter. I am so...undisciplined!

This morning, I weighed in at 297 lbs.

Breakfast: bison steak and eggs, cooked in a little organic, grass-fed ghee.
Lunch: tuna salad on endive (with mayonnaise, celery and olives)
Dinner: baked sweet potatoes with brie and prosciutto (Oh! That was lovely!) and Greek yogurt with lemon and pear marmalade (sugar-free)

And then I had the munchies after dinner. Just felt empty, so I had some cheddar cheese and mayonnaise on Julian Bakery Amazing Sourdough bread.

Now I feel satiated. Wish I could have stopped short on the carbs at around 50 gm. So hard!

Protein - 130 gm
Carbs - 112 gm

Just going to track protein and carbs now. That's what this leptin resistance thing is about, afterall.

geoblewis
02-07-2012, 10:10 PM
I kinda overate yesterday, but have totally made up for it today! Didn't really feel hungry this morning so I didn't have breakfast right away. I know that the leptin prescription says to eat within half an hour of rising, but I just wasn't feeling it till around noon.

Breakfast: at noon...scrambled egg and whites, bacon, and a little gouda cheese, cooked in ghee.

Dinner: half a rotisserie chicken and a big bowl of spring mix greens with olive oil and seasoned rice vinegar dressing.

And I think I'm done eating today! Wow! If I get hungry later, I'll record it, but for now, as of 6:10 pm, this is it.

Protein: 82 gm
Carbs: 36 gm

I got noshy...ground beef with whole wheat pasta and chopped tomatoes with home made pesto. And some parmesan cheese. And then some dark chocolate!

Total Protein: 137 gm
Total Carb: 85 gm

geoblewis
02-09-2012, 02:37 AM
Relapse of the stomach flu I had late last week. Didn't feel like eating in the morning because I felt nauseous, but by later in the day, I was really hungry. Tried to eat some scrambled eggs with chicken cooked in ghee but it churned around for awhile. Then later, I thought I'd try some whole wheat couscous (an old comfort food favorite). I added chard and spinach to it, plus some olive oil. I know, I know, not part of the prescription, but my tummy seemed to settle down. And I ate all of it!!!! I hate it when I do that!

Had half-n-half in my coffee too.

Protein: 106 gm
Carbs: 191 gm

Fortunately, I was done eating early, like around 4:30. I good to go for bed tonight!

geoblewis
02-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Feeling a little better this morning, but still not clear headed enough to exercise. I'm still wheezy and coughing.

I ate a BIG breakfast. A couple eggs, half of a rotisserie chicken, all cooked in ghee. A slice of my high-protein low-carb fiberous bread. And butter! Cream in my coffee too. 766 calories! And I had to do the numbers to tell myself to stop eating, because I still felt empty. But about an hour after breakfast, that feeling went away because the food hit my bloodstream.

(I'm getting a new glucometer this week. Obviously I still don't have control over my blood sugar.)

It's now three hours after breakfast. My head tells me I want to eat, but my appetite isn't there yet. I'm not hungry. So, staying out of the kitchen is important right now.

Lunch, 4.5 hours after breakfast. Big bowl of salad greens (endive, mesclun greens mix, arugula) with a can of light tuna, sliced olives and fresh garlic. Dressed with olive oil and seasoned rice vinegar. MMmmmm!!! A lunch of just over 500 calories. And 20 minutes after eating, I still want to eat. Just going to ride it out till dinner.

Just finished dinner. It was tasty! Spaghetti squash with a little brie and some home made pesto. But I wanted something more, as lovely as that was, so I ate two Applegate hot dogs. I still feel like scrounging around. All afternoon I was jonesing for a big Starbuck's oatmeal cookie, but managed to avoid that.

Protein: 139 gm
Carbs: 56 gm

Hmmm, that's pretty cool! I will try to keep from eating anything else. It's just after 5:30. If I can make it to 9, I'll be fine!

7:55 pm - I ate another hot dog, celery with peanut butter, a piece of dry Jack cheese, and a big mug of cinnamon tea. And I still want to eat more! I don't know what to do at times like these.

Protein: 161 gm
Carb: 66 gm

I did really well with the carbs. Will push harder to get even lower. Maybe I'm having too many vegetables too? The spaghetti squash alone was 32 gm of carbs. This hunger must be from the carb redux.

geoblewis
02-10-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm feeling kinda low this morning. I got on the scale. My calories in and calories out this week are about the same as last week, and the week before, and the week before that. But I'm up six pounds this morning!

I don't know what to do with this sort of thing at this point in my life. I make really healthy food choices. I don't go out very much and when I do I choose very carefully, I don't eat packaged/processed foods, I don't drink much alcohol, I don't OD on fruit and juice. No sodas. Plenty of water. Five to eight servings of vegetables a day. Lean grass-fed meat, pastured poultry and wild-caught fish. Eating like this helps me feel really good. I've not felt this good for a very long time.

I exercise, at least five days a week. Pilates, weight training, a little cardio. I'm getting stronger. I can do things now that I couldn't achieve even 20 years ago. I move my body differently too. I love how strong I feel. But all this fat floating over my muscles covers up what I've achieved.

So, am I really super leptin resistant? PLUS borderline type 2 diabetic, PCOS, low thyroid (but not low enough for meds). I have food sensitivities. I'm peri-menopausal. I am HUNGRY! I really struggle with cutting calories. Beyond exercise, I have a sedentary lifestyle (desk job). Just how much do those factors negate the work I already do?

Well, I guess not really negate, but they just make what I want to achieve, a much leaner body, that much more ellusive and unattainable. Yes, I've lost 60 lbs. And I now have rock-hard abs, etc.

So, I'm a few weeks into this leptin prescription that I haven't been able to stick to very well. I guess I'm going to switch to Atkins and really strip the carbs down. I wasn't trying that hard to keep carb intake consistently under 100 gm/day. (And there were days that popped up way over that!) I've done Atkins before. I just reread the guidelines for the induction phase. I hope getting tighter with the carbs is really the key.

One good thing, a good measurement...my upper body has dropped nearly a size in the last few weeks. So I weigh about the same but I'm down a size. That's fat lost and muscle built. And I realize, this six pounds is very likely water retention. I've been sick, I'm still coughing. I've been doing a lot more lunges and squats lately and I can feel my thighs retaining water from DOMS. I'm one of those intermittent whoosers. I can go weeks and weeks completely OP and watch my weight bounce in a 10-pound range and then suddenly drop five pounds, only to have that cycle start all over again. That cycle can go from six weeks to six months. The last time I dropped the five pounds was two months ago. Emotionally, I'm so ready for the next drop!!!

geoblewis
02-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Breakfast: chopped tomatoes and scrambled eggs cooked in olive oil and a slice of my Julian sourdough bread. Plus half and half in my coffee.

(The plan now is to limit net carbs under 20 gm. per day. Not sure about how many calories. I read on one Atkins-related site to eat 8-10x my weight in calories, which is 2400 - 3000 calories. No way! But the official Atkins site says to stay under 1800 calories. I've been averaging 2200 calories, which is why I'm not losing weight. I'm going to shoot for 2000 calories through the weekend.)

OMG! I had the best lunch! But I'm still hungry. I went out to a local Thai restaurant known for their very fresh ingredients and no soy policy. I had the Larb Gai (a chicken salad). Mmmmm!!! I want more!

I had lunch at noon, spent the afternoon shopping at Lowes with my girlfriend, came home to spend time with my son and get some work done. By 4 pm, I was hungry again. And I felt pretty edgy. Dinner just ended up being strung out snacking for two hours. Bison steak, dandelion greens, celery with peanut butter, scrambled egg whites with Monterey Jack cheese. Parts of me feel full, but parts of me are still feeling edgy and hungry. I don't understand this, but I've been plagued with this issue for many, many years.

As of 6:23 pm, here's the numbers...
Protein: 143 gm
Net carbs: 29 gm
Calories: 1800

I may be drinking cinnamon tea for the rest of the evening.

geoblewis
02-11-2012, 02:39 PM
302 lbs this morning. *sigh*

Swimming, swimming, just keep swimming...

Breakfast: bison steak and eggs, cooked in a little rendered bacon fat, cream in my coffee

(I'm moving all my carbs to dinner. I like my biggest meal to be in the evening. When I don't eat more in the evening, I just want to snack till bedtime. The carbs don't mean a thing to me in the morning and at lunch. I don't crave them at all at those times.)

Lunch: At 1:15 pm, just not feeling like eating yet. Had a coffee with half and half about an hour ago. I expect I'll get the hungries around 2.

Dinner: Actually didn't eat until 3, so maybe with the extra effort to cut out the carbs earlier in the day, the leptin prescription is starting to work. I made some braised chicken thighs with kale, cooked in a little rendered bacon fat and chicken broth. I ate a lot. It was so darn tasty!!! Then, a couple hours later, I was hungry again. Really?! REALLY?! I would have loved to stop at just over 1300 calories, but no. Took my son to In-n-Out and I stuck to my low-carb guns and only had the protein-style burger. Then came home and managed to hold off an hour before I wanted to eat AGAIN! I went for the celery and just a little peanut butter. And then two small biscotti. And I swear, 9 pm hit and my body was done eating. So strange!

Calories: 1895
Protein: 173 gm
Net Carbs: 40 gm

Will be working on getting those carbs back down again tomorrow.

geoblewis
02-12-2012, 01:07 PM
I just had to weight myself a few times this morning. Yep, 296! Wow! That's six pounds in 24 hours. If I can gain that much in a day, why not be able to lose it too?

However, not getting overly celebratory yet. Swimming, swimming, just keep swimming...

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs scramble, a little cream in my coffee.

Lunch: Lamb shishkebab! And fatoush salad, but no croutons. Baba ganoush too...mmm, I love Arabic food!

Dinner: Had dinner around 5. Started with a romaine lettuce salad, then broccoli raab, the roasted chicken wings. Took two hours to eat. Still hungry, so I'm going for a slice of colby jack cheese, and then I'm done!

Calories: 2356
Protein: 223 gm (yipes!)
Net Carbs: 12 gm (holy crap! Didn't know I could go that low!)

So now I'm insanely curious how I'm going to do on the scale in the morning. Because calories is calories, and 2356 is just over my RMR. Theoretically, I should weigh the same. We shall see.

Last minute entry...stressed from still being hungry and caved to an ounce of naked baked pita chips. Too mad at myself to face those carbs. AND I'M STILL HUNGRY!!! Going to bed.

theCandEs
02-12-2012, 06:32 PM
I had thought about doing this. I was doing okay on a ketosis based diet, but now I'm sick and things aren't going too well. Need to get back to it.

geoblewis
02-12-2012, 07:53 PM
You're welcome to join in here, if you like. Really, anyone. As much as my life is "all about me!!!!", I welcome the company!

I used to do a strict Atkins a few years ago, but I went through a period of high stress and had a tough time sticking to it when I was emotionally eating my way through a divorce. I've been keeping carbs well under 200 gm a day for a couple years (with an occasionally indulgent day every week) to manage my diabetes, but it still wasn't enough to lose a substantion amount of weight at any sort of pace I was happy with. I'm glad that I'm finally in a place where I can concentrate more on my effort.

So I'm going to be here, daily, for the next six weeks. Or longer, as needed.

geoblewis
02-13-2012, 01:27 PM
296 lbs. Today I'm going to start working at cutting calories again. And getting back on a regular sleep cycle.

Breakfast: ground bison and egg scramble, cream in my coffee.

Lunch: big greens salad with olive oil an lemon juice, 2 Rocky roasted pepper chicken sausages. (Wasn't too hungry when I started eating, around 1, then got caught up with work and didn't finish lunch till 3. That was an anomaly! But now, 30 min later, I'm feeling noshy.)

Dinner: tuna salad with celery and mayonnaise, roasted asparagus, and I was craving my Julian bread so badly, so I toasted it with a slice of jack cheese.

Calories: 2076
Protein: 154 gm (a little too high still)
Net carbs: 22 gm (not bad!)

theCandEs
02-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Well, my problems with the leptin prescription are #1. I just can't seem to eat within 30 min of waking. Between making breakfast and lunch for my kids and getting them off to school, I just can't seem to do it. I know that's a cop-out. I should try to plan better, and I should put my oldest to work on his own breakfast and lunch. ;) And, #2, I just can't eat that much for breakfast! I think I'd be sick.

Anyway, today (several hours after waking), I did have venison sausage (my husband is a hunter), cheese, and eggs (we also have our own chickens). I had cream in my coffee, too.
Lunch, broccoli cheese soup (low carb - I modified an existing recipe).

geoblewis
02-13-2012, 02:44 PM
I struggle with #1 as well, for very similar reasons. And frankly, I'm not hungry in the mornings. It's why I was doing so well with IF for a few months. But then I hit a wall. I couldn't cut calories below 2200 any more. My trainer thinks it's because I have increased my weight training workouts, but I'm not convinced of that. She may be right. I don't know.

But once I start eating in the morning, I have no problem eating that much! I'm a tall, muscular woman and have always had a big appetite.

I get my eggs from a local CSA that raises pastured hens on a soy-free feed. So tasty! Venison sausage...I'm so jealous! Since switching to a Paleo diet, and due to food sensitivities, I've been making my own bulk sausage. But I wish I could get my hands on some venison because I like it. I need to date a hunter!

theCandEs
02-13-2012, 02:51 PM
LOL I guess being married to a hunter does have it's perks! I wasn't too thrilled a few years ago when he said he wanted to raise chickens. I'm a "city girl." But then, when I started eating Paleo-ish, it worked out really well. I have blood sugar issues, also, so I had to go low carb. I really believe in it. I've just been stuck since last June at the same weight. I guess that's not terrible, but I really did want to get to my goal weight. My mom looks so good. She did low-carb, too, and now she is at goal. I just want to get there, too.

geoblewis
02-14-2012, 04:57 PM
295 lbs this morning. Feeling cautiously pleased about this. I had dropped to 293 lbs one day a few weeks ago, for maybe 20 minutes. When I blow past that and hit 290, then I'll start feeling more excited about this.

I wonder about initial phases of weight loss. When I started with this committed effort five years ago, the initial weight dropped really quickly. Like 12 lbs the first week. But here I am, five years later and nearly 60 lbs downs, and I'm wondering how much of this is that initial water weight and how much is actual fat. But then, now I know better, I guess. With any fat burning, there's water that comes off too.

I had a giant breakfast this morning! Oh my lord! Don't know what I was thinking! Half pound of ground beef with an egg scrambled in, on Julian toast with a slice of cheese. And cream in my coffee.

Lunch was later in the day after I had a coffee and cream at 1. Tuna with mayonnaise on a bed of mixed salad greens.

Dinner of baked chicken wings and a slice of veggie pizza. I know! But it's pizza!

Calories: 1913
Protein: 143 gm
Net carbs: 32 gm

geoblewis
02-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Self-sabotage last night. I ate more pizza and wings than I recorded, plus a small glass of root beer. This morning I weighed in a 297 again. Plus, I woke up ravenously hungry. Grrrrr!

I am not getting enough of what I need to have a bm. Feeling a bit constipated this morning. I have been taking some probiotics and magnesium, but nothing is working. Have not had a bm since...Sunday?

So, game on again! I think today I'm going to really drop the carbs down to Atkins induction levels. 20 gm net. The question remains, how to get in more fiber and not raise carb levels too high. For breakfast I'm going to have a serving of the Primal Fuel meal replacement shakes with a little added psyllium, and then some chicken for added protein. And drink even more water.

Best laid plans...what I actually had for breakfast was chicken sausage and eggs, a piece of Julian bread with a slice of Jack cheese and coffee with cream.

Lunch out with my son (forgot we had a "date"): skirt steak and salad with cilantro vinaigrette and guacamole with chips. Drank iced tea with it, then had coffee with cream later.

I'm already at 41 net carbs and 110 gm protein. I hate days after a meal of pizza! Takes me a little time to get it all under control again.
I'm frustrated and freaking a little bit because I just bought a new glucometer. Haven't tested in some time. I didn't have a lot of carbs at lunch, but an hour after eating, bg was 154. So now this is going to be a game...beat the glucometer! I'm going to be testing and tracking everything! How will I get the laundry done?

Decided I won't eat anything tonight. Actually, I feel like fasting for at least 24 hours. It's the best remedy to break me of the desire for carb. Calories are at 1830 and I don't want to go over that.

geoblewis
02-16-2012, 12:02 PM
295 lbs. :carrot: Seems odd to be celebrating that number, but I am SO determined to leave it in the dust, as of tomorrow morning!

Succeeded in not eating after lunch yesterday. This morning I'm feeling fine and don't really care for food yet. I'm going to make this a fasting day, so it's definitely going to be a very exceptionally low carb day.

I got a new glucometer yesterday. It has a USB on it. Started testing myself again after six years. This morning's number was rather shocking. Thought I had been doing so well with diet and exercise alone, and that playing it loose with the carbs was okay because I'd lost nearly 60 lbs. Apparently I was WRONG!

So, I am going to get even stricter with this low-carb thing now. Plus, I'm very curious about how just fats and protein affect my blood sugar levels. There's some noise out there that fats also get bg up. I am keen to find out exactly what sorts of things affect me. I'm going to be testing everything and keep track of all of it.

As for today's fast, I'm leaning towards not eating till tomorrow morning. That'll make it a 40-hour fast. I've done plenty of 24-hour fasts, and succeeded with one 36-hour fast. I feel ambitious today. Ask me how that's working for me around 3 pm!

Well, I made it to 4:30. I made an early dinner for my son and then I totally caved and ate a few bites of some leftover mac and cheese (of all things!). So I thought if I was going to lose all composure, I'd better make it the right choices after that. I roasted some skinless chicken thighs and asparagus, then I had a piece of my Julian bread. And then my son and I settled in to watch some TV and I had a could handfuls of that Pirate Booty.

I'm actually kinda proud of myself for not going crazy. Went over on the carbs, but calories were fabulous!

Calories: 1217
Protein: 103 gm
Net carbs: 66 gm

geoblewis
02-17-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm a bit confused as to which way to go at this point regarding how to eat. I started testing my blood sugar again yesterday, after several years of believing I was maintainging just fine with diet and exercise. But the last two years, weight loss has been really very difficult. In a couple weeks I'm supposed to go see my doctor to have my numbers checked. Last time, my A1c was at 6.1%. Since then (over two years ago), I've lost an additional 25 lbs, I eat better and I exercise more.

But it's evident from my blood sugar testing yesterday, and more today, that my blood sugar levels are no where they are supposed to be. Not over 180, but still too high. Even my fasting number is that high. Not a good sign.

I'm reading a lot of different stuff right now about managing type 2 with diet and exercise. There are different views on the diet front. One team is all about low carb high fat (ketogenic diet, like this leptin prescription diet, only less carbs). Another group says higer carbs combined with high fiber and low fat. Another group says low carbs, high fiber, low fat. I think none of these people have ever had diabetes and have had to lose a lot of weight at the same time!

For now, I think I'm going to keep posting here, sticking with the leptin prescription. I'll tweak it some.

Breakfast was low on the protein. Eggs with onion and spinach, cooked in ghee. Lower in calories than other days.

I skipped lunch altogether, but I kept testing my blood sugar throughout the day. It dipped to 120 after 4 pm.

Dinner: ground beef, broccoli and coconut soup, a piece of Monterey Jack Cheese. Had to muscle past the desire to eat more, but I had reached the limit of carbs that I was going to allow myself. If I want to eat something after this, it can only be protein or fat.

Calories: 1632 (yes!)
Protein: 95
Net carbs: 25 (yes!)

geoblewis
02-19-2012, 01:54 AM
I spent the whole day out. I didn't track anything today...probably a good thing because tonight I went out with my friends and I had a lot to drink (a lot for me, three mixed drinks and a glass of wine). As far as eating carbs, I ate very, very few. Mostly in the form of a spinach salad at dinner.

I wonder what my blood sugar reading is going to be in the morning...

geoblewis
02-19-2012, 10:18 AM
My blood sugar was down about 20 pts this morning! That is good! So a glass of wine in the evening is a good thing.

I'm off to San Francisco for a conference for a couple days. I'll try to check in, but no guaranty that I will. Bringing my laptop. If the presentations get boring...

theCandEs
02-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Hey, Georgia!
Sorry I disappeared for a few days. I've been sick. I thought it was strep, but the test was negative. Ugh. Felt so awful, though. I'm better now.

I did low carb originally because I have blood sugar issues. I still have blood sugar issues, but I control it with diet. If I eat a load of carbs, then I feel horribly ill. I'm not sure if it's psychological or not, but it keeps me from getting away from my diet.

I've lost 1 pound. I'm not really that enthused, but I'll take it. It's better than nothing.

See you when you get back!

geoblewis
02-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Glad you feel better CandEs. I was out for a few days as well, at a conference. Tried to stick to the plan. I brought food with me so I only ate out in the evenings. I thought if I stuck to room service that I wouldn't be tempted...was I wrong! Came home with a five-pound gain after just two meals that included more than my usual carbs (that I didn't track at all). Plus, my period started, so I feel like a bloated wreck at the moment.

Back to the plan in the morning!

theCandEs
02-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Yeah, my pound came back, too. I had a small piece of king cake last night at the Ash Wednesday service. It was leftover from Tues. My boys wanted some, so I had a piece, too. Ugh! Why do I do that? Anyway, I'm hoping the pound goes back where it came from.

geoblewis
02-27-2012, 05:13 PM
King Cake! Oh, I used to get that for my birthday when we lived in Louisiana. And then when we moved overseas, I taught my cook how to make it...so glad it's out of my reach these days!

I am back on track and working the plan. Very motivated to really shed some excess fat. I was trying to do too many things at once and lost my way. KISS Geo! Just going to stick to the daily exercise (because I like how I feel), cutting carbs really low and managing calories wisely. Don't want to even try to control my bloodsugar right now. If I can't control it with these measures, then when I add stress to the mix it won't be helping at all!

Breakfast: Coffee with coconut milk, an egg and two strips of bacon

Lunch: Roast chicken and Palak Paneer

Afternoon snack: Roasted zucchini, artichokes and peppers

Dinner: A little more chicken, romaine and cucumber salad with olive oil dressing, and a cup of coconut rice (wish I hadn't done that, but it smelled so good!)

Snack before bed: handful of macadamia nuts

Calories: 1879
Protein: 79 gm (Yes! Much better!)
Net Carbs: 69 gm

geoblewis
02-28-2012, 11:15 AM
My blood sugar is still over 140 in the mornings. :( That does not make me happy! Today I plan to really slash back the carbs again. No more starchy carbs that I've caved to because they smell so good!

Breakfast: Chicken and scrambled eggs cooked in coconut oil, plus some coconut milk in my coffee

(I'm not eating veggies at breakfast because I'm saving them for later, but I started taking a spirulina and a "green" pytonutrient supplement to help me get all my veggie nutrients.)

Lunch: grilled wild Coho salmon, mixed greens sauteed in coconut oil

Afternoon snack: Vivani 70% cocoa dark chocolate with orange, macadamia nuts

(I'm so happy right now! Blood glucose came in at 110 a couple hours after lunch!)

Dinner: My son wanted spaghetti...aaaauuuuugggghhhh! I did manage to just stick to the 2 oz portion of whole wheat spaghetti, and made a sauce with ground turkey and organic and very low carb spaghetti sauce. Had a salad too.

Net carbs: 76 gm
Protein: 136 gm
Calories: 1913

geoblewis
02-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Happy to report morning blood sugar down to 126 this morning! 26 points to go!

Breakfast: chicken breast and mixed greens sauteed in coconut oil and bacon fat. Despite the single gram of carbohydrates in this breakfast, but blood sugar popped back up to 149. Goes to show that fats and proteins have an effect on blood sugar too for my body. I'm really going to work harder to cut those as well.

For the rest of today, I am fasting. See you tomorrow!

Oh, the best laid plans...

I got hungry!!!! But I'm glad to have fasted for as long as I did because I got my blood sugar down to 104 around 6:30 this evening before having dinner. And I managed to keep total calories for the day under 1300! I'm really pleased with myself!

Dinner: turkey burger patty, sweet potato, celery with almond butter, romaine lettuce with olive oil dressing, and a little homemade potato salad with mayo.

Net carbs: 51 gm
Protein: 61 gm (perfect!)
Calories: 1251

geoblewis
03-01-2012, 04:35 PM
This morning my blood sugar was at 126 again. Sticking with the lowering trend. I will keep at this until I get the readings I want.

Breakfast of Applegate Farms bacon, eggs, Julian Bakery Sourdough bread and a little bacon grease drizzled on it, plus some coconut milk in my coffee. My blood sugar was back in the 140s two hours later, but two hours after that, it's down to 82! Someone suggested I try a ketogenic ratio of my macronutrients to help control the blood sugar. That's 1:4:1 carb/fat/protein. I almost got it there. It's going to be a little work to tweak that mix.

I'm done eating for the day. Had a late lunch (around 3) and my son had a bag of corn tortilla chips on the sofa and my hand accidently fell into the bag and forced several chips into my mouth, one salty delicious crunch after another...

I also had some palak paneer (Indian spinach dish) and some coconut cream in a cup of coffee. And a little leftover ground turkey in pasta sauce (but no pasta). At 5 pm, my blood sugar is 181. Waaaaay to high! I could have stopped with just the palak paneer and coffee with cream, like I had planned. So, I'm done for tonight.

I have to say, with blood sugar making such a wide swing, I don't really feel right. Woozy.

Net carbs: 48 gm
Protein: 64 gm
Calories: 1645

See, I totally didn't overeat on calories, not even the carbs, but the timing of the carb-fest did me in. I feel too woozy to go to Pilates!

geoblewis
03-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Well, I can't have everything. But my weight is down to a new low of 292.5.
My blood glucose was up at 143 again this morning. I had a big glass of water, took a shower, tidied up about around the house and then started to feel a little wonky. Thought to myself, "Hmm, must be time for breakfast because it feels like my blood sugar has dropped." Nope, it had gone up to 168.

Had a good breakfast of bacon, Julian sourdough toast, an egg, plus coconut cream in my coffee. I won't be able to test blood glucose for a few hours because I have a double tap on Pilates classes today, advanced mat class and a movement breakdown class. I love my Friday mornings!

Lunch: went out with a friend to my favorite local restaurant for Greek salad and grilled salmon. And two cocktails! Two hours past lunch and my blood glucose was 139. Wish it was lower, but happy it's not as high as I thought it was going to be. Hope to be done eating for the day after that meal.

Net carbs: 37 gm
Alcohol: 28 gm
Protein: 64 gm
Calories: 1365

geoblewis
03-03-2012, 12:19 PM
I think I'm done tracking on this thread. I am leaving tomorrow for the week and won't be able to check in much. I'll just keep on top of my choices. I'm not sure this leptin prescription was undertaken properly, but I'm still on a slow downward trend. Albeit bumpy! I'm not more concerned with my blood sugar levels. I know from experience that if I start to track/measure too many things, I get really obsessed with it and can't actually get things done in my life. Better to walk away from the tracking than living the plan.