Weight Loss Support - question about pedometers...

View Full Version : question about pedometers...

LondonGirl88
01-22-2012, 01:45 PM
I have just bought a pedometer and it tells me the calories burnt, estimated I know. But I'm confused about what to do with the calories burnt, would I add them on top of my BMR calc? Or does that mean my calories burnt including my BMR amount (it also asked for weight and height).
I don't know what to do with these calories though because I never added walking calories to my limit before I had the pedometer, so why dtart now?
I'm going to new york for the weekend and I am aiming for loads more steps to cancel out the eating, but I'm not even sure where to start with the numbers given to me! Sorry for the longness!

DietVet
01-22-2012, 01:59 PM
I'd think that you definitely want to keep your 'walking around' calories separate from your eating calories. Use the pedometer to motivate and challenge yourself instead. We don't really burn that many extra calories walking around (esp not net calories) so it would be really, really easy to overestimate the calorie burn you're getting (and very very difficult for steps to cancel eating!).

When you have figured out your BMR, have you calculated it as sedentary or lightly active? If lightly active, your BMR is already accounting for your walking around calories.

ETA: Many people don't, but I habitually eat back some of my exercise calories from intensive exercise. I would really NOT do that for NEAT/walking around calories though.