30-Somethings - Breakfast ideas

View Full Version : Breakfast ideas

adaem
01-21-2012, 11:54 PM
I need breakfast ideas. I am a creature of habit and will eat the same thing every morning for weeks and that's fine with me. Right now I have one fried egg fried in olive oil, 2 pieces of lean chicken lunch meat, 1 slice provalone cheese on 2 slices of bread with a bit of mayo.

I want something healthier that will help me lose weight. I have restarted my exercising and now want to start workin on my eating. I like having a heartier breakfast but am ok with suggestions for breakfast and midmorning snack. I can not eat oatmeal. I have tried and I can not handle the texture. Like the taste but the texture makes me gag.

danzingurl77
01-22-2012, 12:07 AM
I have the exact same thing every morning for breakfast. 4 egg whites, spinach, mushrooms, and peppers made into an omelette, a piece of fruit (usually a small apple), and a coffee. Keeps me full and focused ;-)

5aday
01-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Have you tried steal cut oatmeal? It is more chewy then slimy. I can not eat instant or rolled oats but I love steal cut or sometimes called Irish oatmeal.

Crawlil
01-22-2012, 11:32 AM
I love oatmeal I got something new it's a white and green box, active something, the cranberry almond flavor is great it was on sale for $1.49 too can't neat that for 6 breakfasts. 8 usually have one slice of multi grain bread w/ organic real butter and a cup of milk. Vert satisfying. I also love breakfast burritos two eggs, veggies and 2% cheese in a wheat tortilla. Some days I do yogurt w/ granola.

guynna
01-22-2012, 11:37 AM
I eat: egg-white omelette with onion/shrooms/tomatoes, whole grain toast (no butter) and sometimes turkey bacon (25 cal / slice). Lots of protein, some crunch, some satisfying fat, some veggie. (I like the smell of oatmeal and will fix it for my hubby, but I don't like it either.)

roxybabay
01-23-2012, 12:14 PM
When I was on ww's my go to breakfast was whole wheat toast,laughing cow cheese,sliced tomatoes n turkey bacon...so good! I would also eat special k waffles with s/f jelly n a spray of ICBINB. F/F refried beans with some salsa and cheese sprinkles wrapped in a low carb tortilla is good too. Hope some of these ideas help :)

PrairieGirl
01-23-2012, 11:28 PM
I do not have time like these ladies!

I have a smoothie with 1/2 C organic plain greek yogurt, 1 C unsweetened almond milk, and 1/2 C frozen fruit (whatever kind, often strawberries), it's under 200cal and keeps me satisfied from 6:30am til noon. Best part is it takes less than 2 minutes to prepare and I can eat it on my walk to work.

Munchy
01-27-2012, 02:18 PM
I do not have time like these ladies!

I have a smoothie with 1/2 C organic plain greek yogurt, 1 C unsweetened almond milk, and 1/2 C frozen fruit (whatever kind, often strawberries), it's under 200cal and keeps me satisfied from 6:30am til noon. Best part is it takes less than 2 minutes to prepare and I can eat it on my walk to work.

Lol, I have perfected the 5 minute breakfast sandwich, I swear! I do have to eat it while driving my daughter to school... :)

During the work week I usually have an egg white with a big handful of torn baby spinach in some kind of bread (Ole Wellness tortilla (http://www.olemexicanfoods.com/OLEmenuTortillas.htm), flatout fold-it (http://www.flatoutbread.com/products/hungry-girl-foldit/hungry-girl-foldit-100-whole-wheat-with-flax/), flatout bread (http://www.flatoutbread.com/products/flatout-wraps/flatout-light/), bagel thin (http://www.thomas100calorie.com/Our-Products/Bagels/Bagel-Thins/Thomas-100-Whole-Wheat-Bagel-Thins-Bagels/Default.aspx), English muffin (http://www.thomas100calorie.com/Our-Products/English-Muffins/Hearty-Muffins/Thomas-Light-Multi-Grain-English-Muffins/Default.aspx) or sandwich thin (http://www.arnoldbread.com/Thins/ListProducts.aspx)) and cheese (usually 1/2oz neufchatel or goat cheese, a slice of marbled 2% cheese, or some blue or gorgonzola).

I've varied my sandwich by adding a little sliced deli turkey, Trader joe's turkey bacon, turkey sausage (http://www.alisacooks.com/2009/05/14/quick-lean-and-flavor-packed-turkey-breakfast-sausage/), chile sauce, sofrito, kale, etc - the sky's the limit :dizzy:

Voila, breakfast on the go!

gonnabfitmom
01-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Today I made a breakfast buritto. Egg whites scrambled with mushrooms, tomato, red pepper. I mixed in some lite laughing cow cheese for creaminess (25 cals a wedge. I used 2). I put the mixture into an Ole Wellness tortilla (68 cals) topped with hot sauce and salsa. SOOOO GOOD. If you have a little time in the mornings, i'd definitely suggest it.

clevergirl
01-29-2012, 01:30 PM
I struggle for time as well. I have a gala apple cut in half and cored with chunky peanut butter in the hollow of the apple. It's a nice 275 calorie breakfast. And it's super quick. It usually keeps me satisfied until lunch.

ErinT
01-30-2012, 05:28 PM
I make myself a little sausage McMuffin on weekend mornings! I toast a whole wheat english muffin, cook an egg white, and I use one of the pre-cooked Jimmy Dean turkey sausages. Top it off with a tiny bit of low fat cheese and some all fruit spread. It's good!

lovemydoggiesx2
01-30-2012, 05:35 PM
My favorite is a fat free turkey burger, I cut it up and cook with spinach and 3 egg whites and top with a little ketchup...its like 130 calories. Or I do a smoothie. 100ml skim milk mixed with 100 ml frozen fruit (I like raspberrys or a banana) and a pot of fat free 60 calorie fiber yogurt....blend it up and it tastes like a milkshake for 140 calories!!

alitorry
01-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Something different that I haven't seen listed yet is scrambled egg beaters, low fat cheese in a corn tortilla with salsa. very yummy!

moviegrl1737
02-08-2012, 10:03 PM
I do what I call a pizza scramble, it's easy to make the night before and just heat up in the morning.
1/3 cup canned diced tomatoes
Diced peppers and mushrooms sautéed in spray
1/2 cup egg beaters
7 slices turkey pepperoni quartered
1/4cup shredded fat free mozzarella or one slice vegan provolone

Munchy
02-09-2012, 11:26 AM
This morning I made a BBQ chicken wrap with 2.5oz leftover cooked chicken, an ole wellness wrap, some BBQ sauce, a big handful of spinach, jalapenos, and some gorgonzola. I would have added more veggies, but it had to be a quick work morning breakfast and I went for whatever didn't need to be chopped.

I pan-seared the folded wrap with a little olive oil spray on both sides, and ate it in the car. It was delicious!

cookiedough34
02-09-2012, 11:50 AM
i just have plain boring cereal :(

gospelgyal
02-13-2012, 02:30 PM
I absolutely love scrambled eggs, but when I did the nutritional value and saw that one egg is over 200mg of cholesterol, I just could not believe it. I find that is high, so sadly I have not had eggs since. :( Makes me shudder at the 2 or 3 eggs I used to make...

Munchy
02-14-2012, 01:27 PM
I absolutely love scrambled eggs, but when I did the nutritional value and saw that one egg is over 200mg of cholesterol, I just could not believe it. I find that is high, so sadly I have not had eggs since. :( Makes me shudder at the 2 or 3 eggs I used to make...

You can always try one whole egg scrambled with two egg whites :)

mammasita
02-20-2012, 07:56 AM
I stick with egg beaters egg whites, all of the cholesterol is in the yolk.

I just had a breakfast burrito with egg whites, shredded cheese, trader joe guac, salsa and butternut squash (yum) on a trader joe habanero lime tortilla.

Not sure what the calorie count is but it was 8PP.

FitMomEB
02-20-2012, 08:07 AM
I love a protein smoothie for a quick breakfast.

I use water or almond milk (about 8 oz) then add 1 portion of fruit (usually 1/2 banana or 1 cup berries) and then add 2 scoops of plain whey protein and 1 heaping teaspoon of ground flaxseeds or chia seeds. Sometimes I also add a teaspoon of almond butter :T

I pour it all in one of those reusable cups they sell at Starbucks for Frappuccinos and the like, and get in the car. I sip it at red lights and sometimes while running errands :)

When I don't have to leave the house in a hurry I usually go for 1 whole egg mixed with 2-3 whites and stir in some veggies. My faves: chopped up rucola and cherry tomatoes, or fresh salsa (chopped tomatoes, chopped red onion, lime juice, cilantro) Yum :T

Anagard011
02-20-2012, 06:46 PM
I usually have 1 cup muesli with 1/2 cup 1% milk, or 1 cup triple berry crunch kashi cereal and 1/2 cup silk milk.

Thistleberry
02-21-2012, 05:35 PM
I don't like eating first thing in the morning and since I sleep as late as is possible I don't have enough time to eat breakfast before I get to work. I've been in the habit of making pancakes the night before. I use 1/2 cup buckwheat pancake mix, 2/3 cup egg whites, 1 scoop protein powder, some cinnamon, and whatever interesting thing I feel like adding. This gives me two meals and all I have to do is pop 'em in the microwave for a few seconds to warm them.

They're easy to make and thus far I haven't gotten tired of them. Made them with walnuts last week, bananas this week. They keep me full all morning and they aren't calorically devestating.

Other mornings I enjoy some greek yogurt with honey and almonds. Sometimes I'll just make a peanut butter (natural) sandwich on whole wheat bread. I've also been playing around with muffin recipes and I've found a pumpkin one I like but I'm still tweaking it. I want to look into making frittatas but haven't had time to experiment yet.

On the weekends I'll sometimes do an egg (made with an egg pan so no butter or spray or anything) with two slices of bacon, some chopped onion and green pepper, and cheddar on an english muffin with different spices.

AngelCOH
03-04-2012, 06:31 AM
I love porridge on weekdays! I see a significant difference in what I eat for the rest of the day. I have far fewer snacks :) I also try to add cinnamon to regulate blood sugar.

Weekends I treat myself to a toasted onion bagel and very light cream cheese.

BusyB
03-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Sounds like everyone is having a varied version of the same breakfast. I do a similar thing, make a breakfast "scramble". This is for 2 people, but I make a little bit of turkey bacon for my husband and for me I use a sprinkle of cubed fat free ham. I take 4 eggs and crack using only the egg whites (can't handle the idea of paying 4x as much for the egg beaters), a 1/4 a green pepper, 1/4 red pepper, diced onion (whatever kind I have in the house) and I scramble that. Sometimes I will put a little hashbrowns in, not much and sometimes I put a sprinkle of cheese.

I'm not an oatmeal fan, it's hard coming up with things that are under 200 calories that both my husband and I like.

On days when we're running late, I will just have cereal and he will take a breakfast bar. He likes the idea of being able to eat in the car as we both drive about a half hour each way to work, in different directions.

dody
03-17-2012, 04:03 PM
I have 1 skinny bun with 1 tsp 1/2tea of whipped peanut butter 1 cup skim milk blended with 1/2 banana and ice. It is nice for a change.

samanthat
03-17-2012, 04:22 PM
My favorite, quickie running out the door to work breakfast:

1/3 cup of egg beaters - mixed with veggies (bell pepper, mushrooms and tomatoes are a fave). Pop it in the microwave for 1 minute 15 seconds. Get the morningstar faux sausage patties - pop one in the microwave for a minute (I love them). I get a piece of the nature's own double fiber bread and use a little ICBINB and I am ready to go. Its a full breakfast and VERY low points on WW. Its my favorite.