Weight Loss Support - Weekend eaters/social butterflies... come here!!!

GotothegymOKAY
01-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Hey everyone!

Just trying to get ideas of how you handle weekends/going out with friends/going out for drinks.

Do you give yourself a break on the weekends? Do you exercise during the day to make you feel better? Do you end up going way off plan?

I've lost a lot of weight and am almost at my goal, but this is the one thing I still struggle with!

damiilya
01-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Well, every one day of the weekend I have to work. So fortunately I don't have much time to eat XD But right now I don't really give myself breaks on the weekend (day when I don't have to work), because I've just started with my weight-loss and if now I will start with giving myself a break, I'll really slow down the process. Hehe, but when I'll lose 6 lbs more, I'll start giving myself a break on some weekends, but only if it gets really difficult for me following the 'diet'. If it doesn't, I'll just continue.
And I do exercise to make myself feel better, first of all because after exercise I feel energized and slimmer and second, I know I burned more calories than sitting around and doing nothing.

supergir111
01-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Hmm this is something which has taken me a very long time to tackle. What I do is make lunch light. The main difference between my weekday and weekend eating is lunch.

At work I eat a little, on weekends I eat significantly more so I try to mimick my work day lunches by eating lighter.
I eat a small amount of what I fancy (pasta, burger etc) and a lot of veggies and salad.
I consiously try to drink more water (I love sparkling)
If i'm drinking I stick to gin or vodka and diet mixers, I alternate between alcoholic and soft drinks.

During the week I don't really snack as I have no time but weekends I have a tendancy to so I make sure to stock my fridge with fruit and yoghurt (my 2 hunger killers)

I try to be more active. even if it is just long walks and vigorous housework, dancing around...lol
I'm still working on it though.

danzingurl77
01-21-2012, 04:24 PM
I calorie cycle, so one weekend day is my high-calorie day-- but I can't just give myself a free pass even one day a week. I used to, until I plugged in the numbers and realized that my one free day could not only cancel out my deficit over the week, but some weeks I'd end up OVER my maintenance calories. (yeah, you'd die if you saw how much I could mindlessly eat in an hour- let alone a full day)

So, I still get to enjoy my weekends. But I've had to turn away from the enjoyment = food mentality and realize that I can still have a great night out with my friends, even when I order the salmon instead of the Alfredo. It's about a break from work and seeing people I love and enjoy, not how many cookies I get to eat.

Maybe I'm a little over-the-top, but once I let myself slide a little, I have a hard time controlling my all-or-nothing mentality.

sontaikle
01-21-2012, 04:51 PM
I don't drink (I never did), but I do go out a lot on the weekends. I'm never "off" from my calorie count, but I do sometimes choose foods that aren't the best. As long as I stay within my calories though, I'm fine.

It's actually pretty easy to eat nutritiously when going out. When I was losing weigh I just worried about the calories in foods, but I find that now I want healthier things such as more veggies :) a lot of restaurants have these options and I can look up the nutritional information online. I've been able to stick to eating a lot of protein that way even when going out with my friends.

ange82much
01-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Do you give yourself a break on the weekends? Do you exercise during the day to make you feel better? Do you end up going way off plan?

Yes, all those! I try to eat a healthy snack before i go out (if there's going to be meal involved) so that i'm not starving and making bad choices a few hours later. And i try to alternate alcohol with soda water for drinks and be conscious of not guzzling too fast lol.

On the other hand i'd say that if you've already lost weight successfully, then whatever you're doing is working - you should be telling us what your secrets are!!.............