Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #1  
the aly bagel

Height: 5'8"

Default Confused

I just started a new program 2 weeks ago. It consists of HIIT, 12 minutes, body weight training and cardio. After I finish a session I'm wiped out. I've been consistent in doing it 5 days a week.

A couple days ago I took my measurements and lost an inch to half an inch everywhere. My weight went up to 193 but went down to 192. I've also been trying to eat more healthy and have been having lots of fruit and eggs and only had one 'cheat meal' each week, but have stayed at a calorie deficit of 500-900 each day. I also drink 8-9 glasses of water a day, more on the days I work out.

Today I weight myself, my weight is still 192. I took my measurements and they have now all gone up an inch???

I thought measurements were more accurate then the scale. I am just trying to understand why they could have gone up. I am scared it's because of fat, but I have picked over everything and cannot find what I did wrong. Considering my deficit, I should be losing 1-2lbs a week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by schubunny; 01-21-2012 at 10:12 AM.
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #2  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

How many calories are in your "cheat meal"? When I do that it can totally wipe out ALL of my hard work for the week.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #3  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Lori is right that the answer probably lies in your calories, BUT

*when you start a new exercise regimen, your muscles will hold onto water*

It's a cruel joke of the universe but it is how most bodies react to new exercise. Just keep at it for another two weeks or so and then re-evaluate.

ETA: source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/40...rcise-program/

Last edited by DietVet; 01-21-2012 at 12:09 PM.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #4  
the aly bagel

I never go over 1800, I watch my calories religiously since I've been doing this for about 2 years. That's not the issue.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #5  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Personally, I don't find that measurements are more accurate than the scale. It's quite hard to measure yourself accurately.

In both cases, scale and measurement, you have to wait a time scale of several weeks to a month or two to see the real effects emerge from the ordinary noise (noise that comes either from weight fluctuations, or from errors in manual measurement).

And in both cases, starting or changing your exercise routine can temporarily cause the numbers to increase, as your muscles heal and retain water for a bit.

Bottom line, there is no way around the fact that weight loss and body reshaping is a slow process and takes patience. Two weeks is simply not enough time to see measurable, meaningful changes. Keep at your plan and your new routine for a few more weeks. Chances are, if you stick to it, you will start to see clear, incontrovertible results.

Last edited by carter; 01-23-2012 at 12:05 PM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #6  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Is TOM coming or are you ovulating? I ALWAYS gain inches during that time. Also, how salty was that meal? Because that's another big culprit for inches gain... Additionally, if you're measuring inches the day or so after serious weigh lifting you're going to be retaining water while your muscles repair and it can certainly make you appear bigger even if you're not!!!

Best thing is to measure inches less often (or measure more often and realize there's a lot of day-to-day fluctations depending on hormones, bloating, water retention etc).
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

If you are darn sure that you are at a deficit, I mean weighing/measuring everything, then it's only a matter of time.

If you are guesstimating a lot of foods, or using poor measuring techniques like 'eyeing' things or just using half cup measurements, then your deficit probably isn't quite what you think it is.

Changing your workouts do have that affect, but 2 weeks should be about the time frame.

Salt makes a difference (only in water retention, not health).

If you are confident you are doing everything accurately, then stick to your guns and you will see a difference.
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 198.6 / 192.4 / under 150

Height: 5'5"

I wouldn't worry about it. Most likely it's water weight (and inches) either from too much salt or from starting a new workout. That happens a lot, perfectly normal.

It's also very possible to make a mistake while measuring. If you measure in a slightly different spot, at a different time of day, pull the tape a little tighter, etc that can all skew your measurements. Especially considering that the time span between your last 2 measurements is only a few days. There is almost no chance that you went up or down significantly in that time. The key is trends over time, not really one measurement or weigh in to the next.

I would wait a week to weigh in and a couple weeks to measure again. If you are careful with your calories, you will see movement in the right direction.
mizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by schubunny View Post
I never go over 1800, I watch my calories religiously since I've been doing this for about 2 years. That's not the issue.
I would go see a doctor and/or nutritionist then. Something does not seem right. If you never go over 1800 calories in a day, (and only going up to that amount once a week for your cheat meal), and you have only lost 8 pounds since October 9th, (in over 3 months), something is totally not jiving. That's an average of .53 pounds per week. Like you said, you should be losing 1-2 pounds a week theoretically. Weird.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #10  
the aly bagel

Oh, don't go by my ticker! I stopped for 6 months in that period and a bunch of other things. As per my post it's been about 2 weeks and a half since I re-started exercising, and I'm on a whole new HIIT regime, 5 days a week. But while others are losing 10lbs, I'm losing nothing and my inches are not changing other.

I'm feeling so unmotivated I almost gave up today, not to mention my scale gained me 5lbs probably because I upped my calories yesterday hoping it would help -not make it worse.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #11  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

You did not gain 5 pounds because you upped your calories yesterday. I ALWAYS gain weight the first 3-4 weeks of exercising, and then I stay the same for about 2 weeks, and then it all magically vanishes. That's just how my body works and it is VERY annoying so I understand where you are coming from.

If it makes you feel any better, I have lost 20 pounds (and when you are 5'6 and only weighed 160 to being with, that's a huge number)... and I am JUST started to see a difference in my measurements and clothes. It took 20 pounds for that and almost 6 months. But now its coming off way faster so I am not giving up.

Honestly, 2 weeks isn't a long time for a new program. Like others have mentioned, your muscles are most likely holding water, which will of course increase the inches and the numbers on the scale. Stick with it! Make sure your NET calories do not go below 1200!!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #12  
the aly bagel

I am praying it's water retention/muscle buildup. I hope you are all right!!

I know that when I lost my first 40lbs, I was doing mostly cardio and very little weights. Now with this new regime, it is a ton of body-weight training mixed with cardio, and my muscles tend to be a bit sore almost every day. I know in doing this, I feel a lot more exhausted after a session, then I ever did at the gym.

I really hope I get a woosh soon, because I really love what I'm doing and don't want to have to go back to the gym. Yes, I'm getting healthy, but my main goal is to lose that final 30-40lbs so I can finally see myself thin (I've been overweight since I was a child)!
Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #13  
poundsbegone

S/C/G: 199/162/150

Height: Just because you put a pretty shirt over your muffin top, that dose not make it a cupcake!

We're in the same boat! I've been at it for 7 weeks now with little to no results.
MsThickMiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #14  
the aly bagel

I just wanted to let everyone know I got my whoosh today!! YAY!!!! Down 7lbs. I made sure by taking measurements and lost an inch on my hips, half an inch on my tummy and half an inch on my arms.

I have a feeling that I will be getting whoosh's on this type of exercise regime, rather than just doing cardio. But I can live with that as long as I know

I'm even MORE excited because of losing on my arms, as I've been doing a lot of push ups, and I noticed they were no longer flabby anymore!
Old 01-30-2012, 01:14 AM   #15  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

That's awesome. Congrats!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote