Weight Loss Support - It's that time of year. THEY are back.

Vex
01-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Someone tried to sell me girl scout cookies this morning. Apparently they don't take orders anymore and sell them on the spot.

I said no. :D

-

mammasita
01-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Oh man, I wasn't as strong as you. I ordered 2 boxes :(

The good thing though, is that I'm not a sweets fanatic. I can pass them up.

You did good!

Vex
01-20-2012, 12:59 PM
That's ok, I'm sure some thin mints or samoas will end up in my house before it's all through.

The goal will be just not to eat the ENTIRE box at one time.

-

aliasihaya
01-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Lol. I didn't realize it was that time of year again. The funny thing is that over the years my interest in girl scout cookies has waned. They're ok, but not something that I crave anymore which I'm very happy about. I have more of an issue saying no to the cute little girls selling the cookies outside my grocery stores. I hate saying no to kids. But say no I will. Have to stand firm this year.

lm3898
01-20-2012, 01:34 PM
OH man, these are my downfall - PLUS everyone in the office buys them from other co-workers kids so we have them for MONTHS!

Eliana
01-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Why do they sell these in January? Seems counter-productive to me.

I said yes. :) I love my best friend's little girl...you should have seen her face. You'd have caved too!

mandalinn82
01-20-2012, 01:45 PM
If you can't say no to the kiddos, but don't want to eat them, try buying a box of a flavor you don't like (there has to be at least ONE flavor that won't trigger you to eat them all), then give them to a neighbor, a food bank, etc. I think one of my most valuable weight loss tools has been my grandpa, who has a sweet tooth a mile wide and doctor's orders to gain weight (he's 92). If I get food like that in my house, off it goes to grandpa's. I got a 2 lb box of chocolate truffles for Christmas - straight off to his house. He's happy, I'm happy, and I sometimes will eat ONE or TWO while I go to visit, but never end up eating the whole box.

If your favorite kind is Thin Mints, and your goal is not to eat them, don't buy the Thin Mints!

mizzie
01-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Lol, I find this thread very funny. I'm a Girl Scout leader and yes, cookie sale time is very hard on the diet. It's also very hard on the leaders, trust me. Especially with the new direct sale way of doing it.

Sales in our area don't start until next month, so I have a few more weeks before I have to worry about it. BUT, you think it's bad when you have a box or two in your cupboard calling to you? Try having 30 cases (not boxes, cases!) in your living room staring at you in the face day in and day out. That's 360 boxes of Girl Scout cookies. In every flavor they have. :stress: And the stress of having to make sure they all get sold or the troop has to pay for them doesn't help!!!

I actually figured it out last year and I had something like 700,000 calories worth of cookies in my living room! :dizzy:

runningfromfat
01-20-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm so glad that there aren't any girl scouts here... I have zero resistance to those evil cookies! :lol: Last year I was in the states for a bit during their selling season and ended up buying two boxes... they disappeared way too quickly! :o Sometimes there are advantages to living abroad. ;)

samoas are my kryptonite!

kuchick
01-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Luckily (or not) 9 years ago I got a stomach virus after eating thin mints - I can't stand the sight of them anymore. So buy some and hang out with some sick kids? I'm still addicted to samoas though, but get Kelloggs antioxidant bars in coconut flavor as a substitute. I live in the country, so I don't get random door-to-door sales. :)

aliasihaya
01-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Lol, I find this thread very funny. I'm a Girl Scout leader and yes, cookie sale time is very hard on the diet. It's also very hard on the leaders, trust me. Especially with the new direct sale way of doing it.

Sales in our area don't start until next month, so I have a few more weeks before I have to worry about it. BUT, you think it's bad when you have a box or two in your cupboard calling to you? Try having 30 cases (not boxes, cases!) in your living room staring at you in the face day in and day out. That's 360 boxes of Girl Scout cookies. In every flavor they have. :stress: And the stress of having to make sure they all get sold or the troop has to pay for them doesn't help!!!

I actually figured it out last year and I had something like 700,000 calories worth of cookies in my living room! :dizzy:

WOW! That truly requires will power. One of the common threads on weight loss sites is to get rid of everything in your house that would be too tempting. But what do you do when it's part of your job to have those things in your house? :-)

andrew80k
01-20-2012, 02:29 PM
My daughters are both girl scouts and my wife is the "The Cookie Mom" for one of the troops. I bought 2 cases, one from each girl. Thin mints and Peanut Butter sandwiches are irresistible. Fortunately, I don't have willpower issues and can eat or pass, and they freeze extremely well. This year they have a program to send cookies to the Troops overseas if you don't want them, but don't want to say no to the kiddies. We've had a bunch do that too.

I'm also the guy that sells them to all my co-workers. :D Nobody passed this year.

mandalinn82
01-20-2012, 02:30 PM
One of the common threads on weight loss sites is to get rid of everything in your house that would be too tempting. But what do you do when it's part of your job to have those things in your house? :-)

The same thing you do when that food is part of your job (say, you work in food service and free food is everywhere, or you work in an office with a constant basket of high calorie treats at the ready when you hit that afternoon slump)...you make a decision not to eat it. I always found it useful to classify things as "not mine"...like "these cookies are for selling, they are Not Mine".

baker23
01-20-2012, 02:33 PM
The coconunt chocolate ones are calling my name. And i'm pretty sure when I see a box being sold i'll cave...=D

I make enough pastries and desserts at work to not make me worry about binging on an entire box =D

bargoo
01-20-2012, 03:19 PM
THIN mints ......AHHHHHH

98DaysOfSummer
01-20-2012, 04:21 PM
You can also buy a box and "donate" it. I'm not even sure how that works, essentially they give all the "donated" boxes to someone else. We talked about it our cookie meeting.

princessgina00
01-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Oh, man. I haven't had Girl Scouts' cookies in years and this thread just makes me want some Thin Mints and Samoas. I even went to the Girl Scouts' website to find my nearest booth and it's 13.6 miles away! WTH! This news may be good for my waistline, but I am not happy about it. :(

getinspired
01-20-2012, 04:55 PM
My family bought 14 boxes I think.
Thankfully, I don't live at home, or else that would be WAY too tempting.

Riddy
01-21-2012, 12:47 AM
I ordered 2 boxes from my friend's daughter. 1 box of thin mints that will live in the freezer (and I can eat just 2 of them at a time), and 1 box of samoas that I'll open up at work, eat just 1, and share the rest.

sontaikle
01-21-2012, 07:40 AM
My mom went and ordered some. She asked me if I wanted my usual Tagalongs, and I said no :joker:

I was never one to go overboard, even when she did buy the Tagalongs I had one or two at the most before someone else in the house got to the box. I would just forget they were there :)

duckyyellowfeet
01-21-2012, 12:52 PM
If the smiley girls faces get to you, you can just make a donation straight to their troop. Realistically, the troops make almost no money per box (60 cents, I think?) so just a straight donation does do more good.

I like girl scout cookies, sold boxes and boxes for years but I also get frustrated that I'm pay a ridiculous amount for cookies when most of the money doesn't directly benefit the girls selling.

757MISTY
01-21-2012, 08:17 PM
I LOVE LOVE girl scout cookies! Someone has been passing out the form at work, I haven't ordered any yet but I'm thinking about it (ya know for the kids and the husband) ;)

Crawlil
01-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Ahhhh. I have stayed clear thus far. I have to make a sign lol

LOSINITWITHGRACE
01-21-2012, 08:36 PM
I said NO also!!
cheers for us!

LandonsBaby
01-22-2012, 12:30 AM
I can't have gluten so I guess I'll never have another girl scout cookie (if they come out with one that's gluten free I hope I never know).

damiilya
01-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Thanks god there are no such girl scouts that sell cookies here in Netherlands, haha. Because I would of bought cookies for sure!

JellyBelly1908
01-23-2012, 12:29 AM
I haven't had any girl scout cookies in over 2 years.

I am ashamed to say that upon reading this thread, I immediately googled the closest booth and will be purchasing 1 box of Trefoils and 1 box of Tagalongs. :(

I PROMISE I won't binge!!! And I've been doing great on my diet/exercise...

124chicksinger
01-23-2012, 12:59 AM
You couldn't forcefeed me that crap. Expensive crap. AND, the girls don't get much profit per box either. Shame on the company that doesn't give them much of a break and shame on GS corporate headquarters for not passing more of the $ to each individual troupe. I will get stuck ordering a box or 2 from someone at work selling them for the cause--and I will promptly either place the box at the coffee station for people to "enjoy" or send them over to our military troops--which is what I did last year with the 5 boxes I bought.

Lunalore
01-23-2012, 01:38 AM
Oh man, I freaking LOVE Girl Scout cookies. I can eat 2 boxes of them in one sitting, easy. Luckily now I don't live near one of the grocery stores where they sell in front of anymore, so I shouldn't encounter them. Phew!

If I do happen to come across some Girl Scouts selling them, my plan is just to give them $5 and say it's a donation, or that I'm buying a box for the next lucky person to walk by. I absolutely cannot have those cookies in my house right now!

mizzie
01-23-2012, 10:42 AM
This year they have a program to send cookies to the Troops overseas if you don't want them

You can also buy a box and "donate" it.

Yes! If you want to support Girl Scouts (or just can't say no to the cute little girls, but don't want the cookies in your house) you can pay for a box and tell the girl to donate it. They can send it overseas to the troops or take them to a nursing home, hospital, Veterans home, etc. It's a wonderful option!

Last year there was a man who had already bought all he wanted, but thought my daughter was really sweet. So he asked her what her favorite cookie was and bought a box for her! Another great option that REALLY excites the Girl Scout.

WOW! That truly requires will power. One of the common threads on weight loss sites is to get rid of everything in your house that would be too tempting. But what do you do when it's part of your job to have those things in your house? :-)

It's hard at first, but it does get easier in a way. By the end, you just don't want anything to do with Girl Scout cookies anymore. lol It also helps that I have an "I can eat what I want so long as I have the calories for it" take on dieting. So I can have one or two cookies if they will fit into my day.

And I also adopt the "not mine" concept that someone else mentioned.

Realistically, the troops make almost no money per box (60 cents, I think?) so just a straight donation does do more good. ....most of the money doesn't directly benefit the girls selling.

A straight cash donation is also a great option and yes that way the troop will get 100% of the money. But please don't have the idea that most of the money doesn't go to benefit the Girl Scouts. Last year the cookies in this area were $3.50 a box. It's true that $.50 went directly to the troop, $1 went to the bakers (and really, you can't expect them to do it for free, that's really quite cheap) and the last $2 went to the Girl Scout organization. But that money goes to benefit girls also! If you don't have a daughter in Scouts, you might not realize how much the councils do for the girls. There are a lot of gatherings that are free or very cheap (parties, lock-ins, swimming, etc), plus there is a program to help girls who wouldn't be able to afford the uniforms, etc.

And really, the individual troops don't need tons and tons of money. Last year my troop made over $650 and we didn't even sell very aggressively. That's enough to fund the meetings for the year plus a few special things. And troops that really get out there and sell do even better. I know there are troops where the troop, not the parents, buys all the uniforms, books and badges, they don't have dues and they can take special trips and such just off of what they make during cookie sale.

Sorry to derail the thread, but it's a common misconception that the girls don't actually benefit from cookie sale and that's just not true.

NEMom
01-23-2012, 01:35 PM
I said NO this year. I love them and will eat a whole package in no time.
I told everyone living in my house to keep them AWAY. No girl scout cookies will darken my door.

Sunshine73
01-23-2012, 02:07 PM
*drools*

I was doing VERY well in saying no until I went to a family birthday party yesterday. Faster than a ninja that order form came out and before I knew it hubs and I were caving in. We ended up ordering four boxes. :o

redautumn
01-23-2012, 02:34 PM
My daughter is a Girl Scout and has sold a lot of cookies. There is a place on the cookie order sheet where you can donate a box to a solider overseas. I have had some people do that. My dh and me have ordered some but they will got straight into the freezer. Maybe I can break open a box of thin mints this summer (preferably to share with a few people). Those are my favorite!

ennay
01-24-2012, 01:02 PM
OK, I can't be the only one....One of the cookies they were selling had the word "LEAD" stamped on the cookie.

I can't be the only one who read this as lead. as in Pb. As in the toxic heavy metal that used to be in paint and still shows up in toys and food from China.

Ohhhhhh LEADership. Marketing fail :D

mizzie
01-24-2012, 04:56 PM
OK, I can't be the only one....One of the cookies they were selling had the word "LEAD" stamped on the cookie.

I can't be the only one who read this as lead. as in Pb. As in the toxic heavy metal that used to be in paint and still shows up in toys and food from China.

Ohhhhhh LEADership. Marketing fail :D

LOL, yeah. That would be the Shout Outs (at least that's what they are called in this area, some of the names change from place to place). They have "inspirational" words on them like believe, learn, change, etc. I guess I read it as lead (like leadership), but I can see how you didn't. That's funny.

duckyyellowfeet
01-24-2012, 09:15 PM
A straight cash donation is also a great option and yes that way the troop will get 100% of the money. But please don't have the idea that most of the money doesn't go to benefit the Girl Scouts. Last year the cookies in this area were $3.50 a box. It's true that $.50 went directly to the troop, $1 went to the bakers (and really, you can't expect them to do it for free, that's really quite cheap) and the last $2 went to the Girl Scout organization. But that money goes to benefit girls also! If you don't have a daughter in Scouts, you might not realize how much the councils do for the girls. There are a lot of gatherings that are free or very cheap (parties, lock-ins, swimming, etc), plus there is a program to help girls who wouldn't be able to afford the uniforms, etc.

Oh, i know the numbers. I was a girl scout for 10 years. I know that the organization needs their share too. Our council was just....not so good. So I'm in the mind-set of "donations to troop can do the most good"

mizzie
01-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Oh, i know the numbers. I was a girl scout for 10 years. I know that the organization needs their share too. Our council was just....not so good. So I'm in the mind-set of "donations to troop can do the most good"

Ah, I see. That's a shame that your council wasn't as good about passing it down to the girls. Maybe I should count myself luck that ours actually plans a lot of free gatherings. Almost too many, truth be told, seems like I'm always going to some GS event or another. :p

Petite Powerhouse
01-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Girl Scout season is awkward for me. Last year a little girl came to my door selling cookies and I said, "No, thank you." She stood there looking so forlorn, and her mom was standing at the end of my driveway. I didn't know what else to say. I said, " Thanks, though," again, and then closed the door.

This year my boyfriend answered the door to several little girls. He said, "No, thank you. We don't eat much junk... er... we don't eat that kind of thing...." One of the little girls said, "It's OK" very kindly. Then he added, "Thanks, though"—lamely, just like I did. I was laughing the whole time from the kitchen. He felt bad for calling the cookies "junk," but I know how he felt. Caught off guard, neither one of us knew quite what to say to cute little girls selling cookies.

I won't buy them to give to anyone, and neither will he, because we aren't comfortable giving other people food we consider to be unhealthy. And I won't buy them and just throw them away because I think we waste enough in this country. So... I end up disappointing cute little girls.

Italiannie
01-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Well, I love them and I bought several boxes. Last year I did the same and really didn't eat that many.

I have 3 Teenage/young men in my house and my hubby, so I open the box, take one or two, set the box on the counter and they disappear - within seconds. Of course, the boxes vanish quickly from the pantry, too, and when they're gone, they're gone.

Petite Powerhouse
01-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Personally, when I was a Girl Scout, I hated this time of year. My father was the boss at work, and so he refused to sell cookies because he was afraid everyone would buy them because he employed them all. And I have never been a salesperson. Going door to door was the worst thing I could imagine as a child. Girl Scouts, band fundraisers.... I never sold much at all because I absolutely hated walking through the cold and snow, knocking on strangers' doors. That's part of the reason I feel bad about turning little girls away at my door.