South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 151.5/149.9/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Water Weight? Ack!!

So last night I went out for dinner and drinks with a friend. Food was totally OP; we split a Greek salad and a plate of dips (tzaziki, eggplant dip, spinach and feta, red pepper dip), which I ate with veggies (since I couldn't be sure the WW pita was on plan). I also drank 2 glasses of wine, which hit me hard; maybe it's the not really drinking for 2+ weeks, or maybe it's the lack of carbs, but I feel pretty damned awful this morning.

More importantly, I stepped on the scale... and I am up a solid 2.5lbs from yesterday. Is this normal? Can I attribute it to the wine? I feel so bummed; in a single night, I erased more than half of the progress I've made so far--and I didn't even think I was being that bad!
swandive81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Probably just salt - take it with a grain of salt! (LOL) Seriously, you'll learn your weight fluctuates a lot based on what you eat. I'm a daily weigher, which helps me, because when the scale is high, I know it could've been 2 lbs lower a day before or after. Some don't like to weigh but once a week (or even a month), but what if they had a "high weight day"? (oh, and TOM and for me ovulation makes the scale go up as well!)

Just drink lots of water, eat on plan, I betcha it'll go down in a day or two!!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Absolutely possible. I sometimes put on 3 to 4 after that kind of food. It comes on overnight but takes a couple of days to leave. Lots of water helps.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

definitely. i put on water weight really quickly and easily. 3-4 lbs. after a night out is typical -- especially a night that includes wine.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8"

Absolutely. A couple of drinks can add 3 lbs. of water for me. And, the food was likely very salty too. I'm also a daily weigher, so these 2 lb. gains don't phase me because I know they are just temporary.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #6  

I've never been a daily weigher, but I was curious this morning to see what the damage was. I guess I was mentally prepared for it, but it was still disheartening. Unfortunately, I have a busy weekend planned--meals out Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I've already looked at menus and planned my meals, but I have a feeling salt is going to mess with me. Probably should reconsider my weekly weigh-in on Mondays, right after the weekend...

Anyway, thanks for all the encouragement!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #7  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Swan - this way of eating is totally doable. You are doing all the right things. Maybe cut to one glass of wine? And drink TONS of water and veggies during the day when you know you are going out Stick with it.
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: maintaining

I am not much of a drinker but do find that eating out, even if I stay OP, always makes the scale jump. I assume, like the others, it is mostly the salt in the food. Usually the weight comes off in a few days.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

My current weekly weigh-in is Mondays, which is awful after the weekend... but I've found that it helps me to stay more on track on the weekends and what to expect when I don't. I see it as more of a learning process rather than a way of discouraging myself. I find myself stepping on the scale quite often, just out of curiosity to see the fluctuations. I usually weigh about 3-4 lbs more right before bed than I did when I woke up in the morning. I can see the difference when I've had a high salt day versus a high fat day.

This WOE is about learning how different foods affect YOU individually. It seems as though I can tolerate higher amounts of fat/sugar without seeing much fluctuation in my weight. But add in more than one serving of grains in a day and up goes the scale. Which is unfortunate because most days I'd rather eat a sandwich than a bowl of ice cream! Just don't take those numbers too seriously. It's the good feeling, the lost inches, and the overall trend in long run that will show you how much you've accomplished
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #10  

So I weighed this AM, and I was down 2 of the 2.5 lbs from the previous morning... and that was with a big dinner out (no grains for the day, and no alcohol). I seriously drank my weight in water yesterday, no joke. I think I may have to become a daily weigher, it's just so fascinating to have such a clear picture of how every food choice you make affects your body.

I have plans with friends tonight at a local bar; I think I may stick with clear spirits (vodka sodas) as opposed to wine, since that seems to have less of an impact. It's also easy to switch back and forth between V+S and just plain seltzer, so even if I keep it to a drink or two, I'll have a beverage in hand.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #11  
My goal = health

It's the feta cheese! Every time I have some, I feel like I gained 10 lbs by the next morning (only slightly exaggerating).
And I weight daily for this reason alone - to get to know my body better and how it reacts to certain foods, workouts and environment.
RRB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #12  

RRB2- Funny you should say that. I've definitely mentioned this on another thread (sorry for being repetitious!), but I live in a mostly Greek neighborhood... feta is practically a food group unto itself! And I've been eating a TON of Greek; I find that, of all cuisines, it's the easiest to stay OP when eating in a restaurant. Maybe I'll try to scale back...