Ideal Protein Diet - Stupid Question

View Full Version : Stupid Question

mompattie
01-19-2012, 08:50 PM
I have 2 very stupid questions:

1) meal protein - how many ounces now I understand this has recently changed? Is it after cooking or before cooking? meat and fish ounces different?

2) meal veggies - 4 cups raw or cooked?

Stupid I know, but thanks anyways!

wuv2bloved
01-19-2012, 08:57 PM
RAW RAW and RAW again...its 8oz raw and 4 cups Raw

mompattie
01-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks Wuv!!! Sorry to be such a brat!

wuv2bloved
01-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Thanks Wuv!!! Sorry to be such a brat!

LOL....not being a brat....a few weeks ago I told New Englander to GROWL it out RAWWWWW.....so every time she thinks about it she growls it out....lol

SomedayBubblySomeday
01-19-2012, 09:05 PM
If you have a food scale, this site helps a lot:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2816/2

I was using the USDA site, but it suddenly changed and I couldn't figure out how to use it anymore!

mompattie
01-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks! That looks like a great site!

Way to go Lisa on your skinnier butt today! Sweat pants next stop: L :-)))

Beanie Mommy
01-19-2012, 09:23 PM
I understand that we measure everything raw (growl, if I forget, right?), but how about eating it. Obviously the meat needs to be cooked, but...

About the veggies - is there any guidance how much of the 4 daily cups should be cooked and how much raw? Does it matter?

When I saw the thread called "stupid question" I figured I'd ask one I've been wondering about...

wuv2bloved
01-19-2012, 10:39 PM
its doesn't matter how much you have cooked or raw just so you have 4 cups a day is all that matters

Linden
01-20-2012, 03:34 AM

I was using the USDA site, but it suddenly changed and I couldn't figure out how to use it anymore!

It got updated. But here's a site that's even easier to use than the one above and does everything USDA does for you. Love it. And it's free. If you decide to use it and have a question, just let me know. Chronometer.com. I used USDA for almost 5 years, did everything by hand. What a difference!

MustangMolly
01-20-2012, 09:32 AM
RAW RAW and RAW again...its 8oz raw and 4 cups Raw

:joker: As I read "RAW RAW RAW" I couldn't help but think that sounded like a cheer, :cheer2::cheer2::cheer3: which to me is fitting because Wuv is one of our best cheerleaders!

Ishbel
01-20-2012, 10:09 AM
I have 2 very stupid questions:

1) meal protein - how many ounces now I understand this has recently changed? Is it after cooking or before cooking? meat and fish ounces different?

2) meal veggies - 4 cups raw or cooked?

Stupid I know, but thanks anyways!

Ok,

So I actually emailed the Saskatchewan Area IP Rep...she told me veggies are RAW, meat is COOKED.

Just an FYI as I know you're from Saskatchewan (or at least a Rider Fan lol). :)

Chuckles1330
01-20-2012, 10:35 AM
This is funny - my IP coach said meat is RAW, veggies cooked, and as much lettuce as I can stand... :)

Ishbel
01-20-2012, 10:52 AM
I think it's a good question and the different answers mean we all have to find our right spot and the right decision for us (it's quite obvious that there are conflicting reports).

I've always weighed it cooked (as that was what I was told - the SK area rep has direct access to the senior scientist in Canada) and my weight loss is similar to wuv who weighs it raw....make the right decision for you. :)

SomedayBubblySomeday
01-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Chronometer.com

Hi Linden,

I went there, but the domain name is for sale. Is it spelled another way, maybe?

EmilySebetka
01-20-2012, 11:37 AM
I learned this the hard way: 16oz of raw hamburger turns into 8oz when its cooked. So from that experience, I think we're supposed to weigh our meat raw. That is my personal experience and what most of the experienced people on here have said.

Linden
01-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Hi Linden,

I went there, but the domain name is for sale. Is it spelled another way, maybe?

Try breaking it up: Cron-o-meter.com. Or Google Cron o meter download. :)

New Englander
01-20-2012, 12:01 PM
LOL....not being a brat....a few weeks ago I told New Englander to GROWL it out RAWWWWW.....so every time she thinks about it she growls it out....lol
LOL!!! I do!!! AND that was the best advice I've been given!!! I went RAW on measuring the veggies which made a HUGE Difference!!! I went from losing 2 to 2.4 pounds / week to 4.5 and 3 for the past two weeks!!! WOO HOO!!!

Ishbel
01-20-2012, 12:43 PM
I learned this the hard way: 16oz of raw hamburger turns into 8oz when its cooked. So from that experience, I think we're supposed to weigh our meat raw. That is my personal experience and what most of the experienced people on here have said.

Interesting experience and would depend on how you cooked it. Can't say that I've had a similar experience. Although, I have noticed that I don't eat red meat anymore. During this diet I've discovered I cannot digest red meat. In fact I haven't had any in months.

However, as an 'experienced' IPer (I can safely say that I'm sure)...I've been eating my 8 oz of chicken weighed when cooked. Again, we should be making our own decision, my coach and coach's coach have told me that I should be weighing my meat at 8 oz cooked. If your coach has told you it should be raw, follow your coach's lead. Far be it from me to tell any of you what to do, what I try to do on here is offer up my own 'experience'. But! If you are questioning your coach realize that there will be conflicting reports on 3FC as well.

From my weight loss to date and the fact that I'm going on 9 months on the diet (which makes me what I believe to be 'experienced') I believe I'm doing what's right for me and I will definately be staying doing what I'm doing.

mompattie
01-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Interesting experience and would depend on how you cooked it. Can't say that I've had a similar experience. Although, I have noticed that I don't eat red meat anymore. During this diet I've discovered I cannot digest red meat. In fact I haven't had any in months.

However, as an 'experienced' IPer (I can safely say that I'm sure)...I've been eating my 8 oz of chicken weighed when cooked. Again, we should be making our own decision, my coach and coach's coach have told me that I should be weighing my meat at 8 oz cooked. If your coach has told you it should be raw, follow your coach's lead. Far be it from me to tell any of you what to do, what I try to do on here is offer up my own 'experience'. But! If you are questioning your coach realize that there will be conflicting reports on 3FC as well.

From my weight loss to date I believe I'm doing what's right for me and I will definately be staying doing what I'm doing.

Thanks!!! I weigh meat cooked and veggies raw I figure I want to make sure I'm getting enough protein since I'm doing alternatives and a lot of the pkts are 15 g protein. Yeah when I found another Rider fan! I live northeast of Saskatoon - whereabouts are you? Your loss numbers are awesome girl!!!! Totally inspiring!!!

NavyMommy
01-20-2012, 09:00 PM

So I just went there and checked it out. How accurate has it been for you? I was having 1c sliced cucumbers and 1c chopped peppers for lunch today. With the cucumbers it was right on the weight, but by the time I got enough peppers in there it really looked like 2c worth. I ate them all anyways, but was wondering what you would go with?

TFBeller
01-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Hi Linden,

I tried also, same thing.

galpal445
01-21-2012, 08:58 AM
This is the web version:
http://cronometer.com/

This is the downloadable version:
http://cronometer.com/download/

The website says the web version has a larger database of foods than is capable with the download version...which makes sense.

Linden
01-21-2012, 12:39 PM
So I just went there and checked it out. How accurate has it been for you? I was having 1c sliced cucumbers and 1c chopped peppers for lunch today. With the cucumbers it was right on the weight, but by the time I got enough peppers in there it really looked like 2c worth. I ate them all anyways, but was wondering what you would go with?

It is extremely accurate. I've used USDA for almost 5 years and when I compared cronometer to what I tracked the first day, they were the same within 5 calories. HOWEVER, I measure everything I can in grams of fluid ounces and I use the USDA (from cronometer) to tell me how many grams there are in a cup. I don't see how one could go wrong. ;) It really is the biggest labor savor I've had in years.

If an enterprising group of people got together and divided up the IP products and entered them (using uniform names, e.g., IP Chocolate Pudding, IP Chocolate RTD, etc.) then you'd only have to have one person enter each one once. After that you could them using the search function. Same with supplements. Wish you luck.

galpal445
01-22-2012, 12:31 PM
I started entering the products yesterday on the webite as Ideal Protein name-of-product for the items that I have the boxes to get the information off of. I have not classified them as they don't really fit under the current classifications. Is there something I have to do so they are made public or do they automatically become public when I input them?