Exercise! - rowing machine

View Full Version : rowing machine

valalltogether
01-19-2012, 01:37 PM
do any of you guys use this? i read about it recently in a fitness magazine, and lo and behold; my gym has one.

i've only used it twice for about 10 minutes at a time but it hurts my back. :\ i finally got around to looking up the proper form and i'm going to try and be more conscious of it when i use it next.

the first time i used it, my ab muscles hurt a little but it was a good hurt. i could see this as being fun because i like having my whole body in motion like that. and there is a nice breeze, haha.

rainydays
01-19-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm jealous--never used one but always wanted to! My school's gym doesn't have one. Have fun!

SFuhrmann
01-20-2012, 05:30 PM
I absolutely love the rowing machine. I lost 30+ pounds two years ago and have kept them off just by being consistent about rowing and paying some (but not maniacal) attention to whhat I eat. First fitness activity I ever found that worked that way and as you can tell I'm now a true believer.

BUT - like anything else technique is critical. The Concept2 website has a couple of great videos that will guide you, and check Concept2 and UCanRow2 for workouts to get you started and keep you going.

RoseRR
01-22-2012, 02:10 PM
I have an elliptical machine at home and two sets of dumbells but want to join the gym just to be able to use the rowing machine I heard is really good..

philana
01-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Oh, it's the most dreadful thing in the entire gym. Haha. That and the treadmill. I refuse both of them. But it's probably because I have really crappy motorskills and it just confuses me and feels so clumsy.

Great workout for sure, if you like it then that's awesome. You get your heart pumping in no time and it uses your arms and legs.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-22-2012, 03:08 PM
I would say try it for sure ... it is the only machine I now own. As someone with physical challenges, it was the one thing that I could do. Sometimes, I just do the arm motion part and found that helped too.

I always advise people to try out machines at the gym BEFORE buying them, so you don't waste money like I did. Oh and yes, form is important for your back.

I also had trouble with the treadmill; too fast for me even on the lowest setting, and don't go off stride or down ya go ... ;) So, I gave mine away to good will along with all my other machinery -- except my rowing machine, as I luv it the best ... :D