General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

Default What Does "Per Serving" Really Mean?

I have been looking online for a good low calorie turkey chili recipe. The nutrition information has calories "per serving" but they do not say what a serving is. Is a serving 1 cup, 3/4 cups, 2/3 cups?????????????

I'm so confused and getting frustrated with this "per serving".

Can anyone please explain what per serving really means?

For someone who loves to eat, 'per serving' could mean 1/2 gallon of chili and I know that's not what that means.

Last edited by LAgreeneyes; 01-19-2012 at 04:27 PM.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Usually when you make a recipe, you are given the amount of servings it is. It should say somewhere that it makes x amount of servings. You'd have to do that math from there to figure out how much is in a serving

It'd be nice if they just told you, but unfortunately it doesn't always work that way

Last edited by sontaikle; 01-19-2012 at 11:40 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I usually just throw in a lb of lean turkey breast, onion, garlic, beans, chopped tomatoes, frozen corn, cumin, and good quality chili powder (I like penzeys). I finish it at the table with bowls of chopped scallions, cilantro, 2% Mexican cheese blend, Plain nonfat Greek yogurt, sriracha and cayenne.

This WW 1-point chili recipe is so good and is chock full of veggies. I always add in a full lb of turkey and two cans of beans. It makes about 12 (1-cup) servings.

This white chicken chili recipe is a little different and more soupy, but has been a crowd pleaser so many times for me.

This turkey pumpkin chili recipe is so easy because it's crockpot and the pumpkin makes it really creamy.

Cooking Light has an entire section on different types of top-rated chili.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #4  
Munchberry

S/C/G: 295/215/168

Height: 5' 10"

I hate that too. It is deceptive. I usually just go try to find a recipe that gives me straightforward info. If I am in love with a recipe and the calories are not provided, then I do the math. There is a website called Nutrition Data (I don't think I can provide the link here) that I have found to be an awesome source for reliable calorie data.
Hungry4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I just redo it when I type the recipe into my Fitday. The first time I make a new recipe I measure it ALL. Then I know it makes X cups.

Then when I type it into my Fitday so I can save it, I just put it made X cups than going with what the recipe said. "Serves 4 or 6" or whatever.

Because a cup I can actually measure!

Then if I eat 1 cup or 2 cups of it -- it is what it is.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-19-2012 at 04:17 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
I usually just throw in a lb of lean turkey breast, onion, garlic, beans, chopped tomatoes, frozen corn, cumin, and good quality chili powder (I like penzeys). I finish it at the table with bowls of chopped scallions, cilantro, 2% Mexican cheese blend, Plain nonfat Greek yogurt, sriracha and cayenne.

This WW 1-point chili recipe is so good and is chock full of veggies. I always add in a full lb of turkey and two cans of beans. It makes about 12 (1-cup) servings.

This white chicken chili recipe is a little different and more soupy, but has been a crowd pleaser so many times for me.

This turkey pumpkin chili recipe is so easy because it's crockpot and the pumpkin makes it really creamy.

Cooking Light has an entire section on different types of top-rated chili.
Thank you for the links.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote