The Maintenance Library - Keeping Weightloss Off For Good ...

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Interesting article about Maintainers ~ from the National Weight Control Registry: since 1993, they have been studying 10,000 persons who have lost 30+ lbs and kept it off. They share their best tips here ...

http://fitbie.msn.com/lose-weight/tips/proven-strategies-keep-weight-good

bargoo
01-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Rosebud, thanks for the tip.

runningfromfat
01-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Wow, thank you for that!!! That answers a lot of questions that I've seen asked here and things that I've thought about too. Some of the interesting points:

-The maintenance rate for those with WLS and those who lose through diet & exercise were the same

- The average member ate about 1400 calories/day (BUT ~25% of their members were still actively trying to lose weight). I really wish that had that number for maintainers!!

- Those who weighed themselves the most often were more likely to maintain.

- The amount of effort needed to maintain the loss decreased over time. :carrot:

Granted, all their members had to have maintain their loss for a year so I wonder if that already gets rid of a huge chunk of the population who are most likely to gain back their loss within a years time?

I'll hit a year of maintaining a 30lb loss at the end of Feb so I'll definitely join once that rolls around! Obviously I've lost quite a bit in the meantime, though. ;)

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Your welcome gals ... ya know, I could join there too! I have kept off over 70 lbs for over 5 years now ... :D

Oh, I just realized that I'm from Canada; dunno if that would matter ???

runningfromfat
01-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Your welcome gals ... ya know, I could join there too! I have kept off over 70 lbs for over 5 years now ... :D

Oh, I just realized that I'm from Canada; dunno if that would matter ???

I think you can! I live in Brazil and noticed that you can put in international addresses! :D

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-23-2012, 04:56 PM
OH, good ... I'll check that out. Thanks! :D

LighterLeigh
01-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Thanks very much for this info. I learned a lot. What a great resource. I am in the UK and will join, if they let me, once I've maintained a year. Leigh