Weight Loss Support - Does it ever freak you out to see how easy it is to hit like 4000 calories?

GotothegymOKAY
01-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Just something I was thinking about today. I've been working out and eating great every day this week, but today I just did what I wanted and ate something "bad" for practically every meal. When I curiously went back and added it all up, it was over 4000 calories. It took nothing to get there. Doesn't that suck? LOL. Oh well, back on track tomorrow!

ASaladandaDream
01-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Yes it does! For example, I've never had a punchkey (I think that's how you spell that...), you know the jelly donuts they sell on Fat Tuesday? One day I found out just one of them was 2000 calories !! (or something like that) I decided I never would try one, because if I did like them O_O I can totally see myself having two or 3! SO MANY CALORIES >_<

baker23
01-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Its funny that one meal at a restaurant can amount to something between 1500-2000 calories. And that dosen't include any apps you may get or dessert let alone soda xD

And I agree about the donut thing. I could easily eat 2 and down it with a hot chocolate *drools*

novangel
01-18-2012, 09:51 PM
What stinks for me is all the junk laying around at work! I am successful most days at avoiding it but then there's times I work through lunch and I am literally starving...so I down a pastry or two. :/

leftoverqueen
01-18-2012, 10:09 PM
And to think I used to order a halfdozen donuts at Dunks and eat all 6 of them at once.. that's not even close to one of my worst examples!

sontaikle
01-18-2012, 10:22 PM
I guess I'm lucky since I just can't stomach a lot of what is considered bad. That, and I just don't like most sweets. I never did.

It freaks people out that I hate donuts, apparently.

Alwaysbeenbig
01-18-2012, 11:15 PM
OMG YES!!!!! I am kinda amazed when I go off track and I actually record everything and I'm sitting there looking at the number going "Wow! I must have added it up wrong" but nope. There it is, in black and white.

Satellites
01-19-2012, 12:34 AM

i hate donuts too! and, like you, people can't understand that haha.

Kahokkuri
01-19-2012, 12:42 AM
What freaks me out are all the calories in good foods–almonds add up so freaking quickly!

Of course, I'm also amazed by the 200 calories in my rice ball, or the 350 in the crappy egg sandwich I sometimes pick up at the convenience store.

xMissTinax
01-19-2012, 12:43 AM
It really is scary. I have an app on my phone that gives you the nutritional information for each and every menu item for popular fast food places and restaurants. I don't eat out anymore but if I absolutely have to, I check that first and find something that will fit in with my daily caloric allowances.

One night, a couple months ago, the power went out and my friend wanted to go pick something up. I went with her with the firm intention of getting something grilled and as low in calories as I could find. After we ordered, I pulled up the app on my phone and looked at what I would've typically ordered in the past. When I added it up, it was already like 1,000 calories without a drink, side item, or extra stuff added onto it. I was horrified. In the past, I had no trouble putting away two of those things in a single sitting.

knoxie
01-19-2012, 02:09 AM
It's crazy but I guess that's how I got to where I am today. Like I used to think well I only eat 3 meals a day as if you'd have to eat 10 meals a day to get overweight but then when you realise how many calories is in each of those 3 meals it makes a little more sense. Sites and apps that monitor and calculate the calories in meals are a godsend!

RRB2
01-19-2012, 02:15 AM
Yes, it's scary! I know that I used to avoid thinking about the nutritional value of the food I'm eating. Because who in their right mind will eat a 2000 cal meal knowing that this is the calorie intake for a whole day? I think of it as "temporary insanity". I see no other explanation :D
NOw when we occasionally order take out (We limit it to once a month) - we order no fries or onion rings, yes, even for the kids - and no one complains.

lin43
01-19-2012, 07:57 AM
I am with you 100%!! On Christmas, I knew I would indulge and I planned for that by saving up calories. However, even though I indulged, I definitely did not pig out like I normally would. I watched my portions and cut back a bit here and there. Nevertheless, I still managed to consume nearly 4000 calories between Breakfast, Lunch, and dinner. I cannot imagine what my calorie count was before I started counting (probably 6000 or more).

My husband and I often dine out at fine dining establishments (so no nutritional info is available). I estimate that, even if I watch my portions closely (e.g., just one roll from the bread basket, split dessert, etc.), I still end up eating approx 1500 calories or so.

It is scary to think about how easy it is to consume a massive amount of calories.

JudgeDread
01-19-2012, 08:41 AM
It is crazy. The hardest part is to start replacing those foods with something more nutritious and still delish! Not easy to replace a cheesecake!

For starters, at home...reinvent your kitchen...only put healthy food and snacks at your fingertips. And always, always measure! A serving size is often much tinier than you think!

4star
01-19-2012, 09:20 AM
It really does freak you out a bit when you realize almost everything that is quick to eat is loaded with calories. There's definitely a perk to cooking for yourself. There are only a few places I can order food out and not go over my calorie allotment, so much added fat and sugar and it doesn't even taste that great. :dizzy:

Beach Patrol
01-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Yeah, it adds up FAST! I remember when I first started tracking my caloric intake (without trying to keep it under a certain amount) I was shocked... literally SHOCKED at how much I was eating. I had previously guesstimated that I was eating around 1500-1700 per day. NOPE! Far from it!!! I was normally ingesting around 3200-3500 per day!!! No wonder I got up to 192 lb... :o

kateleestar
01-19-2012, 10:00 AM
I guess I'm lucky since I just can't stomach a lot of what is considered bad. That, and I just don't like most sweets. I never did.

Ah, good.. I'm not alone!

I didn't get fat eating sweets, I got fat eating fries, lol.. or fried mushrooms, or too much of a good thing. :)

lm3898
01-19-2012, 11:35 AM
BUFFALO WINGS!! Only recently did I find out that one good sized order is something crazy like 2000 cals! It's like 200 cal PER WING - I can easily eat an order of wings and not be stuffed...like wow, just wow - I was shocked...I always love to get wings when I go to the bar to watch a football game...not so much now...

caryesings
01-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Yes. I remember having a nutritionist think I could have a medical issue when reviewing my food logs against my weight. She didn't think I could maintain 265 lbs by eating @2200 cals a day even counting "fudge factor". It wasn't until I tracked for myself over a longer period than typical 3-5 day amount that was being analyzed. I found I actually often ate less than 2000/day but when I didn't eat like that, I could easily consume 4-6000 cals in 24 hours, thus erasing any deficit I had going.

Mimzzy
01-19-2012, 02:09 PM
It's horrible when you know your eating bad and you think to yourself "Oh.... this cookie could only be 250 calories" and then you look at the packaging in curiosity to see a looming number like 480. Then you add up the 2 you had earlier today and the one in your hand. That is the "D*MN IT" moment lol

Eliana
01-19-2012, 02:37 PM
What freaks me out are all the calories in good foods–almonds add up so freaking quickly!

Of course, I'm also amazed by the 200 calories in my rice ball, or the 350 in the crappy egg sandwich I sometimes pick up at the convenience store.

Almonds! Yes, why do the healthy foods have to add up too? :dizzy:

Just something I was thinking about today. I've been working out and eating great every day this week, but today I just did what I wanted and ate something "bad" for practically every meal. When I curiously went back and added it all up, it was over 4000 calories. It took nothing to get there. Doesn't that suck? LOL. Oh well, back on track tomorrow!

I'm impressed you had the nerve to add all that up today. I have head-in-the-sand-syndrome.

My worst ever meal was Long John's Silvers Fish 2000 calories. That's two pieces of fish, fries, two hushpuppies and the ridiculously oversized drink (Mt. Dew), and estimated 3.5 ounces of crumblies because I always asked for extra.

I actually just got on their website to look that up and they're being sneaky. :mad: One, their fish is listed differently than it used to be and "sounds" healthy. It's listed one piece at a time for 260 calories each. Plus, their "basket" portion of fries is MORE than their "platter" size! :tantrum:

LittleBrownBike
01-19-2012, 02:42 PM
I never really paid attention to calories before... I don't have a huge sweet tooth, don't really like cake or donuts or stuff like that etc... One in a rare while I would have a chocolate chip muffin, like once a month or so... a month or so ago I went to get the muffin and they had just added calorie signs next to them.. I was SHOCKED... I think it was 650 calories - for a MUFFIN??? I was like wow, theres no way... I didn't get it that day and I haven't gotten one since...

My sweet tooth weakness is cadbury chocolate bars... I would literally eat a bar of chocolate for breakfast and wash it down with a coke... a few weeks ago I flipped the bar over and saw that 1 bar was 550 calories... It really gave me a kind of new awareness...

LittleBrownBike
01-19-2012, 02:44 PM
My worst ever meal was Long John's Silvers Fish 2000 calories. That's two pieces of fish, fries, two hushpuppies and the ridiculously oversized drink (Mt. Dew), and estimated 3.5 ounces of crumblies because I always asked for extra.

OMG chicken planks!! LOL.. I have this absurd craving for LJS chicken planks every once in a while... I think its a particularly bad TOM kind of thing... I literally only have it maybe once a year.. twice MAYBE but probably not... Its so gross, theres no way its real chicken lol and its just dripping in grease... but for some reason..... lol... My hubby is hilarious... if I'm having a really bad day and nothing will satisfy me hes like "do I have to take you to LJS?" lol.....

Steph7409
01-19-2012, 09:16 PM
I like to bake, and I love cookies. I did a bunch of baking at the holidays and figured out the calorie count for several of my favorite recipes. One, a double chocolate cookie, came out at 200 per cookie - and I know I used to eat 6 or more in one sitting (and still have actual meals as well). It really is astonishing how quickly the calories accumulate.

jeminijad
01-19-2012, 09:55 PM
The wings thing... yeah. Even if it was only 100 cal/wing, I can eat a dozen. Dipped in blue cheese. Plus some fries, plus two beers or a big coke. Christ.

My big problem was pizza. Local pizzerias don't provide caloric info, but the ratio of cheese to crust is close to Sbarro, and there is 730 calories in one slice of their pepperoni. And I was eating 3 slices. That is AN ENTIRE DAY'S CALORIES wolfed down in 10 minutes, topped off with Coke.

I'm just shocked I didn't top out at much more than 215, honestly.

dstalksalot
01-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Calories counting has really opened my mind to what propper portion sizes should be and how much I should be eating per day. I was completely unaware and ignorant before. I hope that this knowledge stays with me forever. I don't want my head in the sand again.

What suprised me this week was the Marie Calendars turkey pot pies. I actually used to have these often, but have settled for a rare rare TOM once a year treat. The salt is crazy insane and the calories for the smallest 10 oz single serving is over 600 calories. I used to eat the 16 oz size. Ouch! When I worked at the restaurant those in house serving sizes were closer to 30 ounces.

ParadiseFalls
01-30-2012, 02:11 AM
I hate this so much. I can't even count how many times I've sat with a calculator checking and rechecking my suggested calorie intake because it seems like such a cruel joke that I'd have to eat practically nothing to lose the amount in a week that I gain so easily when I'm not paying attention.:tantrum:

Eliana
01-30-2012, 08:34 AM
I hate this so much. I can't even count how many times I've sat with a calculator checking and rechecking my suggested calorie intake because it seems like such a cruel joke that I'd have to eat practically nothing to lose the amount in a week that I gain so easily when I'm not paying attention.:tantrum:

Actually, you can eat quite a lot with restricted calories. :) Sometimes I look at a 200 calorie cookie when I'm hungry and think ok, I can have that cookie or I can have a whole container of yogurt AND an apple for the same calories. Or I can have one fried chicken breast or I can have a grilled chicken breast with a large serving of steamed vegetables and a small sweet potato. If you switch to the healthier versions of some of these atrocities, you can eat more food and feel so much better.

sontaikle
01-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Actually, you can eat quite a lot with restricted calories. :) Sometimes I look at a 200 calorie cookie when I'm hungry and think ok, I can have that cookie or I can have a whole container of yogurt AND an apple for the same calories. Or I can have one fried chicken breast or I can have a grilled chicken breast with a large serving of steamed vegetables and a small sweet potato. If you switch to the healthier versions of some of these atrocities, you can eat more food and feel so much better.

Oh gosh this so much. It's one of the reasons I was able to sustain myself on 1200-1400 calories. It sounds like very little but it can be a lot of food if you eat the right things!

1800 calories of veggies, protein, etc. is a LOT and I feel satisfied each day :)

MedChick87
01-30-2012, 12:31 PM
I definitely know the feeling! My biggest reason I got up to over 230 lbs was fast food. There were some days where I'd eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And I didn't get the "lower calorie" options. I'd get the full on combos with large fries or hash browns. With each of those meals being 800-1000 calories (or more!), it's no surprise I gained so much weight. It's just ridiculous how many calories they can shove into fast food.

Munchy
01-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Oh gosh this so much. It's one of the reasons I was able to sustain myself on 1200-1400 calories. It sounds like very little but it can be a lot of food if you eat the right things!

1800 calories of veggies, protein, etc. is a LOT and I feel satisfied each day :)

Agreed. I think it's hard to reach 4000 calories, but then again, I make most of my own meals and always have because I love to cook AND I really like using and showcasing vegetables. I decide what I'm going to cook based on the vegetables I have on-hand. I have cauliflower, for example, so I'm making curry tonight. I may add a little chicken, but the star of the dish is the cauliflower.

EagleRiverDee
01-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Oh gosh yes. All the foods I love are high calorie and bad for me. I have to be super careful, and really what I have to do is almost like a drug addict and simply stay away from my trigger foods. I have found I basically have to swear off cheese for a month at a go, because if I don't I won't stay away from it. Alcohol and sweets are other high calorie foods I frequently swear off for a month or more at a time, no cheating allowed. Otherwise I find I just cheat more and more. Cheese is probably my biggest weakness. Oh, and coffee. I don't know why but I gain weight if I'm drinking coffee, even if it's just black. It messes up my metabolism somehow- and I love coffee. It's actually the hardest of them all to give up.

KittyKatFan
01-30-2012, 09:29 PM
When I read these online stories about the unhealthiest restaurants/foods/drinks, I just feel awful because I have eaten so many of the foods that make up those lists.

For example, PF Chang's. Their lo mein dish is like what, 2000 calories? And I would usually split the lo mein, PLUS the Mongolian beef and sweet & sour pork with my dad. That must have been 3000 calories right there.

And don't even get me started on the Cheesecake Factory. Their dishes are always on those lists, and there are several times when I have eaten the dishes that have the highest calories.

The worst is the milkshakes at the various fast food places. I can down a milkshake with no problem. And now I'm finding out that they were 1400 calories at some restaurants??? I thought maybe 500 calories max. Was I wrong.

I have been pretty good about keeping my eating to a reasonable amount, but I did go on vacation and overeat, and over Thanksgiving I overate. I tried to put those days out of my mind, but now I can't help but think that I must have been consuming 5000 calories a day.:(

Magalo
01-31-2012, 12:26 PM
After a while of strictly following my diet I find it HARD to eat enough! It's the opposite. After being so used of eating little, I find it hard to reach 1800 cals. I end my day without counting during the day, it ends to be 1300 cals and I'm feeling uber full. When everything in the house is low-fat, the bread is 55 cals a slice, the fridge is full of delicious fruits and you only drink water, tea and black coffee, it's just hard to reach a normal amount.

csugirl93
01-31-2012, 04:33 PM
I have to write everything i eat down the moment i eat it with the calories or i get out of control and eat everything! after i started my "diet" i decided to add up all the calories i would normally eat and it scared me!