Old 01-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 234.5/158/165

Question "Sticking" Weight

Good morning, all!

I just had a quick question - did any of you have a particular weight that you seem to be stuck at? I've been losing pretty regularly since beginning the program in August, but it has slowed wwwaaaayyyy down when I hit the 180s... (50 pounds lost!) I went from 3-4 pounds per week to 1-2.5 pounds. I know I should be grateful for those pounds, but I don't know if it is considered a plateau when you're actually losing?

My consultant said that sometimes you have a harder time losing once you reach a weight that your body was used to for a while... have you heard that? I'm not sure about it, as my body hasn't been this size since before I had my daughter... ten years ago!

Anyway, any thoughts/advice would be sooo appreciated...
rachels77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #2  
Maintenance Member

S/C/G: 211/191/175

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachels77 View Post
Good morning, all!

I just had a quick question - did any of you have a particular weight that you seem to be stuck at? I've been losing pretty regularly since beginning the program in August, but it has slowed wwwaaaayyyy down when I hit the 180s... (50 pounds lost!) I went from 3-4 pounds per week to 1-2.5 pounds. I know I should be grateful for those pounds, but I don't know if it is considered a plateau when you're actually losing?

My consultant said that sometimes you have a harder time losing once you reach a weight that your body was used to for a while... have you heard that? I'm not sure about it, as my body hasn't been this size since before I had my daughter... ten years ago!

Anyway, any thoughts/advice would be sooo appreciated...
Idk...but the more weight one starts out with tend to lose larger numbers in the beginning. Once you get closer to a weight your body is comfortable at, it does slow down. Could be a plateau...but usually with those, there is a period of no loss. Certainly no cause for concern, as you are still losing It has taken me 6 months to lose 50lbs...whereas there are others that obviously lose much faster. We are all different Be sooo proud of what you have accomplished...and be patient. Those that lose at a slower rate tend to keep it off...is what I am told!
Tamikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/120/110

Your body is getting use to this new way of life. I came to the conclusion that my body must be now going through the adjustment period but after that period it just falls off. So be patient.

Good luck.
pattyhues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #4  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

hey! your body is adjusting.

i started at 269, and i have had issues with any number ending with an 8. i get stuck there for 2 or so months, and then i DROP faster then hot cakes to the next number ending with an 8.

it's wierd what tricks are bodies are up to right?
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #5  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Yeah.. 1-2.5lbs a week is definitely NOT a plateau! It's just that you're getting closer to your ideal weight and your body can't reach as large of a calorie deficit. Also, as we get closer to our ideal weights our bodies are more and more reluctant to give up the extra weight.

FWIW, I lose on a scale of more like 2lbs/month (sometimes up to 4/bs, sometimes none at all) so your weight loss sounds absolutely speed to me!

Oh... and I was both 175lbs and 185lbs for quite a while before this journey and never had that issue. It did take a bit of time to reach 175lbs BUT that has more to do with my cycle (I hit 175lbs before TOM and then I often have to wait until after I ovulate to loose again). After reaching 175lbs I barely even saw it because I dropped a few other pounds in quick succession. Our bodies don't lose in a nice, neat linear pattern because there are just too many factors going on in our bodies that contribute to the number that we see on the scale. The weights I did get stuck at for longer periods of time (190lbs, 169lbs) were not weights that I had ever been for any significant amount of time before this journey and both made sense (the first I started weight lifting then and the second I took a mini-maintenance break for the holidays and I think I was retaining water for awhile afterwards too).
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #6  
My goal = health

Yes, I have the same thing happening. I always get stuck on 213, 207, 201 for weeks at a time (I just noticed that these numbers are 6 lbs apart).
Last 3 times I became pregnant at 213; 207; 207, respectively.
I was researching "cell memory", but in the end just gave up and decided to do my best.
I go for weeks at a time without a loss and then wooosh! 3-4 lbs gone overnight and then I stay at this weight for 2-4 weeks.
RRB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 234.5/158/165

Thanks, guys. Running - I appreciate your insight on the non-linear weight loss... such a neat way to put it!

It helps so much that I know I'm not alone - I hope to keep going and not get discouraged with the numbers head game... you know?

I guess it doesn't help with my TOM being all messed up since losing weight... yikes.
rachels77 is offline   Reply With Quote