Weight Loss Support - Your face after a huge weight loss.

itsjustmagic
01-17-2012, 03:04 AM
I apologize for posting so many threads. I just have so many questions. It's actually kind of exciting! Anyway, has anyone else wondered what their face would look like after losing 100+ pounds, or even less? I have 100+ to lose and after looking at literally every 100+ weight loss picture on here, I can't help but notice the major changes in their face! I've noticed that people look completely different, sometimes older, sometimes younger. I'm going to take a bunch of pictures of myself tomorrow using photo booth, (body pictures too) so I will have something to compare my weight loss to, like everyone else has. :) I can't help but wonder if I'll recognize myself in the mirror once i've reached my goal!

knoxie
01-17-2012, 03:52 AM
The before/after photos are really amazing aren't they? My face is the first place my weight loss shows up (and my dress size is the last place :mad:).

lin43
01-17-2012, 06:00 AM
My face is always the first way that people recognize I've lost weight. They always say, "I can tell in your face." Unfortunately, this is not necessarily a good thing as I've gotten older. In fact, even when I've lost down to what would be considered a healthy weight for me (as I've done now), my face has a tendency to look gaunt and older. I get "you're too skinny" comments from my family. I'm currently 135, and my original goal weight was 145 because I didn't want my face to look gaunt. However, I've kept slowly losing as I've tried to figure out my maintenance calories. Now, I'm eating 2100-2200 per day so that I do not lose more because I don't want to lose more in my face.

When you're younger, you can get away with it, and usually, losing in one's face makes a positive difference in one's appearance.

Lovely
01-17-2012, 06:30 AM
My friend joked that the first 30 pounds I lost all came off my face! :lol:

I compared the body pictures, but the most noticeable starting change was definitely how much thinner my face looked when I dropped from 330 pounds to 299. It was pretty shocking, but a pleasant surprise.

sontaikle
01-17-2012, 06:37 AM
I didn't think I looked all that different, but when I look at old pictures of me it's really easy to see that my face looks different, if only slightly. So many people who haven't seen me in a while don't recognize me at all!

MARLA26
01-17-2012, 06:58 AM
Your face will probably change a lot as you lose the weight. But it will be a gradual change.
Your neck and shoulders will also get a lot thinner.
:)

Just by being on this site and sticking to a weight loss plan - you are heading toward a wonderful life.

pattyhues
01-17-2012, 07:33 AM
you wil look much happier and self-esteem as you will achieve your goal and will be proud of yourself!
when I've lost my first 24 lbs people around were telling me that I look happier and awesome!!! my doctor said that my face is shining and my acne was gone!

stimkovs
01-17-2012, 07:41 AM
if you look at my 90 lbs lost pics from the NSV's - I actually ONLY noticed this last night while posting the pics (although i get "HOLY **** YOUR FACE HAS CHANGED SO MUCH" ) comments all the time, but really- it has!!

everybodies face changes a lot, face SHAPES also change, i went from a round face to an oval, my nose has dropped, I HAVE A NECK!!

InsideMe
01-17-2012, 07:49 AM
I an now starting to lose off of my face! So much so that my parents noticed it last night while we were skyping (webcam) they are in another country. And I noticed it in pictures recently, that double chin is almost gone! YEAHHHH!!! :)

runningfromfat
01-17-2012, 08:24 AM
I lost from my face first also. I've never carried a lot of weight there in the first place and it was pretty much the first place to go. Now if my stomach would just catch up with the rest of my body. ;)

Heather
01-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Just take a look at my siggie and you can see what happened to my face!! I couldn't believe how ROUND it was at my high weight!

Now I'm in between the weights pictured below and my face is... in the middle.

On the down side, my faced did look a little older as the lines showed up when there wasn't fat to hide them...that said, I'd rather have that problem...

Vex
01-17-2012, 09:30 AM
My husband lost well over 100 lbs and at the very end of his loss his face looked very gaunt, although now about a year later it doesn't and he hasn't gained anything back.

I've heard this from others as well that the "gaunt" look is temporary.

-

RRB2
01-17-2012, 09:55 AM
I think it depends on your facial structure.
I have a round "baby face" and even when I was 150 lbs (as opposed to 208 now) I still had a round face with puffy cheeks (but no dbl chin).
Pro: I barely have any wrinkles and the ones I have are superficial at 36 years old.
Con: I always look chubby, even when I'm not :)

berryblondeboys
01-17-2012, 10:03 AM
On my blog, I have taken photos of every 20 pounds of my head only, well, not rerqlly, every 20 pounds I've done a full body shot, but for the sidebar of the blog, I posted just the headshots. You can see its the same person, but slowly shrinking.

I actually got to my initial goal of 80 pounds last year (went from 255 to 175 in one year) but then I gained over the holidays and I'm not quite back to 80 pounds lost again.... When I do get there (2 morer pounds) I'll have my husband or teenage son take the 80 pounds lost photo. (which is 100 down from my all time high). Everyone says I look 20 years younger.... Which means I just have looked about 60 before!

Seashell84
01-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Looking at pictures of myself when I was thin, even just 20 lbs more made a huge difference in how my face looks. I have chipmunk cheeks, always have, and my face is one of the first places I gain weight.

LittleBrownBike
01-17-2012, 01:06 PM
The funny thing is, I've been fat for a long time but I don't feel fat... I think thats why I don't really worry so much about trying to lose weight because my self-image is a lot thinner than the reality? If that makes sense... but I hate the way my face and neck look, I have had three different doctors insist doing thyroid ultrasounds because my neck is too thick and they insist that my thyroid must be enlarged... but nope.. I'm just fat... oh dear... but my double chin has been my major issue... I think I can handle the belly and the chubby legs but I cannot handle the double chin... I really hope my face is the first to show weight loss, lol

EagleRiverDee
01-17-2012, 02:51 PM
I actually know what I'll look like because at one time I was skinny. I was 100 lbs heavier at my high than I was in a skinny photo I have. I take that picture out sometimes and look at it. I want that back. I'm working to get there. I want to be healthy again.

mizzie
01-17-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm one of those weird people who don't really gain in their face, so there isn't much difference between my face at 220 and at 153 (my lowest last year). It's really kind of awful now, because I have that "fat girl with a tiny head" look going on. It makes me look even fatter!

tavvy
01-17-2012, 04:56 PM
I have a much rounder face than I did when I was about 40 lbs lighter...no idea what my skinny face might look like but my lighter face was beautiful...though I like my fave now it is quite puffy in the cheeks and chin

guacamole
01-17-2012, 08:20 PM
I don't think my new skinny face will look like my old skinny face. I am fearful that my face will look deflated, saggy, wrinkly, and older. Like, my fat is puffing my skin taut now, so I don't have wrinkles - but once the fat is gone, my skin will just collapse on itself!

Melokoton
01-17-2012, 08:22 PM
I can't wait to have a neck again, lol. I'm 32 and I have such a turkey waddle, 3 of them! Unfortunately the first place I gain weight in is my face, luckily its the first place I lose it. Just tired of having my face look bloated, it's one of the things I'm most self-conscious of.

baker23
01-17-2012, 08:33 PM
My face looks the same, I just think my features and the shape are more defined. You'll still be able to tell its you :) There are a few peoples pics I've seen who've lost an extreme amount of weight, and they actually do look totally different. But the others, I can still see the same person, just skinnier

itsjustmagic
01-18-2012, 03:18 AM
This makes me so excited to lose weight. I keep thinking, wow i'm really going to find out what I really look like, underneath all this fat, negativity, unhappiness! I'm so excited. :) You are all so inspiring and you're a bunch of little hotties now. :P hehe

The funny thing is, I've been fat for a long time but I don't feel fat... I think thats why I don't really worry so much about trying to lose weight because my self-image is a lot thinner than the reality? If that makes sense... but I hate the way my face and neck look, I have had three different doctors insist doing thyroid ultrasounds because my neck is too thick and they insist that my thyroid must be enlarged... but nope.. I'm just fat... oh dear... but my double chin has been my major issue... I think I can handle the belly and the chubby legs but I cannot handle the double chin... I really hope my face is the first to show weight loss, lol

Actually, I understand exactly how you feel! I've always been on with myself and how I look. I've never considered myself fat or unattractive or anything. I don't know if I was just in denial or that stereotype of fat vs thin just never bothered me. Lately, the health issues i'm having and the fact that I can't do all the things i once loved, it's really opened my eyes. It's not ok to be 300 pounds. It's not ok to stop doing all the things you love. It's NOT ok to be 20 years old and have health problems. These few things bring me back to reality and it'll be those things that help me actually get off my lazy *** and do something about it. :)

LittleBrownBike
01-18-2012, 06:21 AM
Actually, I understand exactly how you feel! I've always been on with myself and how I look. I've never considered myself fat or unattractive or anything. I don't know if I was just in denial or that stereotype of fat vs thin just never bothered me. Lately, the health issues i'm having and the fact that I can't do all the things i once loved, it's really opened my eyes. It's not ok to be 300 pounds. It's not ok to stop doing all the things you love. It's NOT ok to be 20 years old and have health problems. These few things bring me back to reality and it'll be those things that help me actually get off my lazy *** and do something about it. :)

Exactly... I'm at my highest now which is 205 lbs... but I'm very curvy and proportionate so I've always gotten compliments about my figure and even when I went from 190 to 205 people kept telling me I looked like I was losing weight which I thought was really funny.... I think also one of the factors for me now is I want to start dressing better and none of the clothes I like fit etc... plus I'm tired ALL the time... blah... well, its time to make a change!!!

sontaikle
01-18-2012, 06:31 AM
Exactly... I'm at my highest now which is 205 lbs... but I'm very curvy and proportionate so I've always gotten compliments about my figure and even when I went from 190 to 205 people kept telling me I looked like I was losing weight which I thought was really funny.... I think also one of the factors for me now is I want to start dressing better and none of the clothes I like fit etc... plus I'm tired ALL the time... blah... well, its time to make a change!!!

Me too! I had a pretty damn nice figure at 200ish pounds and I knew how to flatter it! I never felt fat and I walked the streets like I was a million bucks ;)

I got compliments on my clothes ALL the time, even from skinny girls who wanted to know where I got my clothes from (and I would tell them I got it from a plus size store, I didn't care :joker:)

I can't really pinpoint one thing that got me in the right mindset to lose weight. I just started cutting my portions one day and it worked. I do have to say though...diabetes runs on both sides of my family (thanks parents), that was a HUGE motivator for me.

LittleBrownBike
01-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Me too! I had a pretty damn nice figure at 200ish pounds and I knew how to flatter it! I never felt fat and I walked the streets like I was a million bucks ;)

I was just looking at your pictures, to me you look beautiful in both, obviously a lot thinner now, but in your starting picture you are beautiful and happy looking!

Arctic Mama
01-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Yes, my face has changed immensely. I look younger, closer to my true age, and the shape on my jawline, chin, and cheekbones has all changed significantly. I still look like my family, but more like a sister to myself than just a shrunk version of my fat self, if that makes any sense. Enough of my facial geometry has changed that I couldn't have imagined it before losing the weight. And I don't look like I did in high school, before I got fat, either. As I aged some features changed a bit, but it was hidden under extra flesh and thus i couldn't see what actually happened.

Either way I look awesome and you will, too, but expect some dramatic shifts if you're losing more than 10-15% of your bodyweight.

berryblondeboys
01-18-2012, 01:57 PM
My face got lost in fat when I was overweight, it's the first place you see weight gain and weight loss. I just found pictures of me before weightloss and was in shock at how round my face was (just posted them on my blog today). Funny how when I looked at myself in the mirror then, that I didn't focus on the loss of my bone structure, I just looked into my eyes I guess. Eyes don't change, but everything else sure did!

MikeP
01-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Yes I really agree with that, but most of them looks younger. I think those who looks old are losing weight because of stress.

sontaikle
02-03-2012, 11:44 AM
My husband lost well over 100 lbs and at the very end of his loss his face looked very gaunt, although now about a year later it doesn't and he hasn't gained anything back.

-

That's reassuring :) I've been wondering if I'm not eating enough or if I'm just really tired. Hopefully I stop looking gaunt soon.

Well I'm upping the food intake anyway. I think I'm losing too much too quickly right now anyway

Arctic Mama
02-03-2012, 12:55 PM
The gaunt look has to do with the type of fat deposits we tend to lose first when calorie restricting, which is the structural, subcutaneous fat. Those temporary stores get depleted and we end up looking a bit gaunt, but as our diets reach maintenance and we essentially 'refeed' for a few months those deposits get back in good shape and fill out a bit again. That is some of the maintenance, five pound bounce many people see :)

saltatoria
02-03-2012, 01:50 PM
When I look at pictures of myself in high school, I always think, "Oh my god I'm so skinny!" I was 160 pounds back then, so I wasn't thin by any means, but it was odd to see my cheekbones, collarbones, neck, shoulders and so on sticking out so prominently. I looked like any other slightly-overweight teenager, but to the 300-pound me, I look TINY.

Eurus
02-03-2012, 03:11 PM
I've mostly lost my weight in my face and shoulder/neck area. Its great. And it makes it a whole lot easier to look in the mirror.
But I do wish I would lose a bit more thigh and butt soon.

ValRock
02-03-2012, 03:34 PM
People have told me I look older... but in a good way. Let me see if I can find good pics. I used to be frustrated about how young I looked, so I'm glad!

1. from HS (about 10 years ago).
2. from about 7 years ago.
3. A couple months ago after about 18 months on maintenance.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/Valarocque/1ab5c6ea.jpghttp://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/Valarocque/47b4d807b3127cce9b71c28bce430000001-1-1.jpghttp://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/Valarocque/0bc976eb-1.jpg

rachaelm
02-03-2012, 04:10 PM
I dreamed last night that I was telling a coworker I'd lost 130 pounds.

Sadly, I can't even subconsciously imagine what I will look like then, because in my dream, I looked the same as I do right now.

I did have a coworker tell me today that they can really tell I've lost weight "in my face"

Nadya
02-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Four years ago I went from weighing ~160 to ~130 and the difference was amazing. I can't wait to see that change again, I loved my face thin like that. Another girl told me that I looked better unhealthy (she didn't use this term but same thing) but I wholeheartedly disagree.

TooManyDimples
02-03-2012, 06:35 PM
What's crazy is when you don't even realize how much it's changed until you look back at pictures. My avatar picture is from when I was around 206 and I made a little picture collage from 275 down and I looked like a completely different person back then. I'm pretty darn happy with how my face looks now so I'm hoping the rest of my body will keep catching up. =)

Butterfly1987
02-03-2012, 07:47 PM
I've lost 4 stone and am 4lbs from my goal and I have been getting a lot of comments of how gaunt my face looks.. I really hate it and it's making me very self concious as I have high cheekbones anyway :-(

Veronica133
03-01-2012, 04:07 PM

-

I believe that the gaunt look is temporary as well.

Natasha22
03-01-2012, 08:36 PM
It's really amazing how much a person's face changes after weight loss. At least with some people, you can't even recognize them anymore. I usually feel like the change is for the better, a slimmer face is closer to what we perceive as an "ideal face shape" which is oval. People with round faces do appear younger than they actually are, but there's a difference between having a round face and just being chubby.

itsjustmagic
03-02-2012, 08:04 PM
"I just took progress pics for another post and I found an old face shot just for your thread... "

You look a lot younger in your second picture. :) I love your haircut too, I tried a style like that and it just didn't look good with my pudgy face, lol.