Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 246/0/145

Height: 5"3

Default 29 and Unhappily Fat!

Okay, so I'm 29 and weigh 246 lbs, I have this gym membership but I just can't motivate myself to go. I really think I'm struggling with depression. All I ever want to do is sleep. I've been thinking about seeing a doctor but I'm so embarrassed to talk to someone about it or even asking a doctor for Prozac. What should I do?
Luisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

I would see a doctor. They won't be as judgmental as you think they will. If they are, they aren't the doctor for you. Do you have a regular doctor that you feel comfortable with?
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #3  

No I don't.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 251/235/sgw 220/lgw 150

Height: 5'5"

Maybe the gym isn't the best place to start. How about grabbing a music player and taking a long walk?

I think you should start with changing your eating and drinking habits at home. This can have a huge effect on your mood. Start slow/small and work in bigger changes like an exercise regimen once you're feeling more energetic.

Drink more water. It helps with weight loss and fatigue. You should be drinking half your weight in ounces every day. Switch out junk for healthier snacks. Eat more whole grains, fruits, veggies.

You should definitely see a doctor if that's an option, a therapist is even better. Half the battle is mental so you have to have a healthy attitude to get the weight off and keep it off. A lot of insurance companies now also offer free phone consultations with stress experts and life coaches that can help you with any plans you've created and follow-up with you to help you manage your stress, moods, weight loss plans, etc. Maybe look into that as well.
stronger4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

Maybe ask some friends in your area who they would recommend as general physician. You don't have to tell them what is going on, but hopefully someone could point you in the right direction. I know it is hard to tell anyone what is going on, but once you do, you will feel better.
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #6  

Thank you! I tried talking to my boyfriend of seven years about this and he suddenly becomes mute. I was never like this, but now there are days that I don't leave my house for this reason.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #7  
super geek

S/C/G: 185/151/138

Height: 5'9

Being depressed is really hard, and there are days when you feel like you can't function and it's an effort to get out of bed. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.

I also recommend you see a doctor. I promise you they're not going to judge you or think anything of you because you want to talk about depression. Getting the help you need is a big step depression is more common than you think, and if you talk to loved ones about it, you might find that they've been through it (or are going through it) too.
rocket pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/155/130

Height: 5'6

Why don't you begin slowly and gently, how about 45 minutes a day, 3/4 times a week? Easing yourself into a routine is a good way to begin your lifestyle change- anything too drastic is just setting yourself up for failure. I agree with strongerforme, start incorporating healthy eating habits at home as well, and you will find your mood might take a turn for the better by cutting out processed junk. Just remember, you are doing this for yourself, no one is watching or putting any pressure on you, you can do this at your own pace
Spain2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

I totally understand where you're at. It's also so hard to get motivated when you're depressed. If you can afford it I'd suggest a therapist and/or psychiatrist. Just skip right to the professionals in this area. A regular doctor can do it, but they just don't have as much of an experience base to make a determination as to the right medication. There are soooo many these days. My psychiatrist is constantly learning from her other patient's experiences as well as has a focused knowledge of psychiatric drugs. I also think you'll feel more comfortable going to a person who deals with this all of the time. Sometimes I don't really like talking to my PCP about the psychiatric medications that I'm on.

The other thing to think about is that there are a lot of psychiatric drugs that cause weight gain. I know, it's not fair. Sometimes you get depressed by weight gain but the drugs that can help cause weight gain. Circular problem. But there are some that don't. And even a few that assist in weight loss in some people (not me unfortunately). A psychiatrist will be more cognizant of that issue.

About the gym issue, gyms can totally be intimidating. I used to feel like I needed to be fit in order to go to a gym. How weird is that? It's only been recently that I don't care as much anymore, but I still go really early when there are less people around. But if you can't get motivated to go to gym, then spend time doing anything for movement. Walking, cleaning, going up and down stairs if you have them in your house. I personally think that a gym is a place you go to once you've started moving. It's hard to go there as a starting point.

I completely understand about the depression and the motivation problems. Been there, still there a lot of times. But keep pressing forward.

Good Luck!
aliasihaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

Depression sucks and it sucks the life right out of you.

Find a doctor, therapist, psychiatrist with whom you feel comfortable and let them know what's going on with you. Maybe you need medication (so many people - including myself - do) or maybe you need some tools and therapy. Either way, there's no shame in seeking help. If you're not sure where to go talk to some friends or family members and get some recommendations from them.

In the mean time try your level best to fight your way through the "muck". If you don't feel comfortable going to the gym do something smaller. When you want to curl up in a ball and sleep, make yourself do something first. Walk around your house. Do some exercise videos. I do a fitness trainer game on the Wii - it's a great workout that I can do in the privacy of my own home. The important thing is to get up and do it - even if it's something small - because that little positive movement will help with your depression.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Please, please don't feel embarrassed! It is not something to be ashamed of- it's common and treatable. Find a doctor or therapist who you feel comfortable with and go from there (the first time I went on antidepressants, I just went to my PCP- it's the easiest place to start, and s/he can is a great resource to refer you to other doctors if needed). Also, exercise works wonders for depression- it's always easier said than done, and sometimes it might feel impossible to leave the house at all, but even doing a little light exercise could make a world of difference.

djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

I'm sorry I can't help you with depression, I'm not a psychiatrist nor do I play one on TV. But one thing that might help is to just get started making small changes. Go for a walk, drink a little more water and a little less sugar, try to eat some veggies instead of stuff you shouldn't. Eat a little less. It might help you just to know that you've made a start. Good luck. Think about you as you want to be and work on making that happen.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #13  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

You should not feel shame for struggling with depression. It is a very common illness.

There is a depression subforum here at 3FC. Check it out and read some of the threads. You might find that it offers you help and/or solace.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #14  
hope | amal | أَمَل

S/C/G: 216/Ticker/145

Height: 5'4" (1.63m)

Depression is very common and you shouldn't feel any shame for struggling with that. But you do definitely need to take control of the situation!

I have a severe anxiety disorder.. I also don't have a regular family doctor I go to. Instead I just go to the clinic where they help me with my medications.. my meds have changed my life, honestly. But it took me a long time on various other medications to find what worked for me.

Not that everyone needs medication of course.. but for some people, it definitely works, and it can be a process.

The sooner you start by talking to a doctor, the sooner you can work on a road to recovery (be that therapy / counseling, medication, or what have you). I highly recommend talking to someone!
Adalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 161/147/130

Height: 5'5.5"

There could be something else going on besides depression. I'm reading a book called 8 Weeks to Vibrant Health and I am amazed at how poor diets play such a big role in a variety of health problems you would not immediately suspect but most people and doctors label as depression. It might be worth getting a full blood test work up. Something to think about. You're lucky you live in a part of the US where it's warm outside this time of year. Sometimes just sitting in the sunshine can do wonders too. You might find that you are low in Vitamin D and that is why you feel lethargic.

Good luck to you.
kidjng is offline   Reply With Quote