Exercise! - 90 minutes on Elliptical, HRM says 1175 cals burned

Jpye
01-15-2012, 09:41 PM
I posted this in the support forum but then realized their is an exercise forum, so maybe you all can be of more assistance! :)

I bought a new Polar heart rate monitor that costed about $100 yesterday, and I used it for the first time tonight on the Elliptical. For 90 minutes on the elliptical, it told me that I burned 1175 calories. I assume a heart rate monitor would be accurate (and I am new to the elliptical), so does this sound correct???

luckymommy
01-15-2012, 10:02 PM
It does sound right but that doesn't mean that it is right. ;) This is why I never count the calories I burn working out. There's also the issue that if you weren't working out, you'd still be burning x amount of calories at rest so yes, you're burning calories on the machine but those are not the net calories burned. I hope that makes sense. ;)

peanutt
01-15-2012, 10:03 PM
If you were working out at a high enough intensity, I could see that being accurate.

Be sure to go in and update your user settings on the HRM if you haven't already. Your readings will vary depending on what you enter for your gender/height/weight.

Loseit
01-16-2012, 01:16 PM
It does sound right if u were doing it at high intensity most of the time!!