General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #1  

Default Wheat Belly?

Anyone had any success with completely eliminating whole wheat from their diet? I read Wheat Belly about a week ago and was really inspired. I've been off of wheat a couple days and it's not too difficult so far. I am going to incorporate "ancient grains" into my diet as I agree with the book that the genetic makeup of the current wheat strands isn't the way that we were supposed to eat wheat. I found einkorn wheat pasta at the local health food store. I think this might be a healthy balance. I just wondered if anyone lost weight by getting rid of whole wheat from their diet?
Joannavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yup, I hardly eat any grain at all. I'm not sure it's made much difference as far as weight goes, but for gas and belly bloating? ooo I feel much better.

I've not read that book but I've waded through the blood type diet, a couple of ancestry type books, low carb books and that one by Elizabeth Hasselbeck (sp) I've learned enough that I think more folks should give it a try. We have varying degrees of sensitivity to so many things ... why not grain.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #3  

I eliminated grains from my diet a while ago. At first I avoided gluten to see if it would help me feel better. It did, but I don't seem to have any physical reason to avoid it. My husband was recently diagnosed with gluten intolerance, so we just don't have any in the house. I use almond flour, and a few other alternative flours and we really don't miss it. Its amazing how well you can eat without bread! I have blood sugar issues and eating NO grains at all has done great things for my control of it.

We have lost a few pounds, nothing that I could say was a great improvement over eating grains. But we FEEL better. We have more energy. And that is significant.

We follow somewhat closely to a Paleo diet, and Paleo man did not eat grains. Many argue that the healthiest diet for us is meat, veggies and fruits. Judging from how I feel eating this way, I would have to concur.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #4  

Hi Ellen, I've become a believer in the need to eliminate whole wheat from my diet. I've also given up processed foods. It's really not difficult to do. There are amazing recipes out there with almond and coconut flour. After reading this book, I quit grains and I've lost 5 lbs in 7 days. Amazing! I was exercising for 6 months and trying to eat right and I lost 5 lbs this way. I now see a lot of it had to do with my diet where I was consuming a lot of whole grains and various rices. I also feel really good and don't get those cravings for carbs that I used too. I can go longer periods of time without eating.

I am also enjoying learning about new ways to cook and new ingredients. I would have never thought of the benefits of coconut oil. Love it!!
Joannavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #5  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I gave up gluten a year ago. It didn't make me lose weight but my stomach is much less bloated and feels better. It does make it easier to say "no" to a lot of food in public. I simply can't eat very many things without intense stomach pain so I don't even want to touch them.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 01-18-2012 at 03:07 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #6  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

I've cut all grains from my diet as well. Occasionally I still eat white rice, but I know that there are no negative consequences for me with that occasional consumption. Since making the change to a paleo lifestyle I've not only lost weight, but I've lost body fat and inches at a much faster rate than I did pre-paleo. Add in the increased energy, decreased cravings, and disappearance of various ailments/problems and I'm fully committed to continuing to eat paleo.

There are fantastic recipes for "paleo" breads/baked goods but I would caution you against doing straight across replacement of those items. For example, if you were eating a sandwich every day for lunch, I wouldn't make "paleo" bread and continue eating a sandwich every day for lunch. They're nice to have for occasional treats, but still not necessarily the optimal fuel for your body on a daily basis.
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #7  

Height: 5'0"

I read Wheat Belly, too. Along with a bunch of primal/paleo books. Decided it made sense to eliminate grains (I have also temporarily eliminated dairy). Since the new year (when I started), I've lost 7 pounds. Might not sound like much, but that means I went from 117 to 110, so I didn't exactly have a lot to lose in the first place.

I definitely feel better. More energy, much less bloat, much less gas, and my tummy seems a *bit* flatter. (Though not as flat as I'd like lol)
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote