Ideal Protein Diet - Horse Lovers Unite

View Full Version : Horse Lovers Unite

ShanCo
01-14-2012, 08:46 AM
I am new to IP, it's my second week. I'm doing this for so many reasons, my new son, my husband, me, but one of the main reasons is my passion or horseback riding. I grew up showing, sold my horses when I went off to college, life happened and now its been 15 years and I'm ready to get back into it and so excited...the only problem is I can't possibly ask a poor horse to lug me around right now! So, my first personal goal is that I have to be able to mount from the ground to be able to ride...I have done this before at about 230 and didn't feel so guilty for the horse. I would love to connect with other equestrians on this journey :) I have seen a few on here, specifically even from the Pacific Northwest!

seaurchin
01-14-2012, 11:51 AM
I just had a conversation with my husband a couple of weeks ago about getting back into riding. Though I only took lessons for a brief period in my life, I enjoyed every minute of it! I wish you the best in your move forward in achieving your goal.

sekc14
01-14-2012, 03:13 PM
...So, my first personal goal is that I have to be able to mount from the ground to be able to ride...I have done this before at about 230 and didn't feel so guilty for the horse. I would love to connect with other equestrians on this journey :) I have seen a few on here, specifically even from the Pacific Northwest!
ShanCo, we have the same goal, to mount from the ground. But, I ride now and even rode even when I was 268 lbs. I mostly walked and trotted on easy trail rides. At the very least, get back involved with ground training a horse. So much to do with horses even if you're not riding. My physical goal is to mount from the ground (I will have to be at least 50 lbs lighter to do that I think) and to begin riding cross country and jumping again. I'm going to take lessons in the spring! Also, going to play tennis again. I'm so ready for the new, lighter body I can barely stand it!!! I may have to go saddle my horse to see how close I come to mounting from the ground. He may not stand still for it since he's only known me to use a step!

Good to meet you!

Paint Lady
01-14-2012, 09:47 PM
I've owned horses most of my life. Is there a reputable rescue near you that you can volunteer? What area of Washington are you in? I have some horse friends in the state. They may be able to point you in the right direction if you are interested and in the right area. The way the horse market is right now, you might find your next show horse at one of those rescues. Sad situation really.

I don't have horses right now, but my neighbors do. I can still get my horse fix by walking over to the fence line and calling for them. They love to visit me and get their scritches.

ShanCo
01-15-2012, 08:32 AM
So glad to meet other equestrians! :) Paint - my husband and I actually fulfilled my dream last year, we bought a house on 5 acres and have a 4 stall barn. Currently we are boarding 3 horses so I get my horse fix that way...just keeping an open stall for my horse when I get him...good motivation! :)

Ryuu
01-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Love this!
I have two appaloosa geldings. I feel that I am too heavy to ride and my goal is to get to 200 before I ride. I have been training one of them all summer and he is ready to try out a rider in the saddle. Poor hubby has that fun job for now.
I never had horses, me being a former city gal, until we bought 15 acres out in the sticks and built a home. My first horse was a very tall leopard appaloosa, very well broke, whom I taught myself to ride on. She ended up with some leg problems that I didnt have enough experience to take care of and I gave her away.
Then times turned tough for many and I was given the two geldings who I have now, they are uncle and nephew. The uncle, buddy, is green broke and we just managed to get him to walk in a straight line this summer. I've been working with the nephew, cowboy, on the ground work. He is fine with a saddle but as soon as you get an adult in it and no one on the lead line he takes off and bucks. Thinking of trying sand bags and slowly adding more weight and see how that goes. Any suggestions is appreciated.

MustangMolly
01-16-2012, 09:57 AM
I, too, am a rider and I know that my horse is going to appreciate my weight loss as much I will! At 5'2" it is a stretch for me to mount my 15.3 horse, and while I can do it right now I can't wait to see how much easier it will be when I am hoisting 80 fewer pounds up there with me! That's my boy, Nemo, he is a TN Walking Horse.

sekc14
01-17-2012, 09:33 PM
I, too, am a rider and I know that my horse is going to appreciate my weight loss as much I will! At 5'2" it is a stretch for me to mount my 15.3 horse, and while I can do it right now I can't wait to see how much easier it will be when I am hoisting 80 fewer pounds up there with me! That's my boy, Nemo, he is a TN Walking Horse.
He's gorgeous!! What a great horse! I'm so impressed that you can mount from the ground. He's the same height as my horse and we're about the same weight but, I can't do it. I'm going to try again this weekend.

Lmflora
01-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Hello fellow horse lovers!!!
I too have had horses all my life, right now I have two old quarter horses (chubby 32, Tina 27) and I have a mare snazzy(9 yrs) with arthritis in the knees but I hope to breed her soon, she is a shining spark, peppy San bred mare, I would love a baby out of her--the only horse I can ride is my 16 year old quarter gelding, Gunner, he is a burned out NRHA reining horse, but he is an awesom ranch horse. I use to show too, many years ago. I did a lot of horse packing, but now I am content chasing cows on my brothers ranch.

I want to lose this weight in part because I can barely get on a horse anymore. Poor gunner! Boy he is gonna love it next summer! When I am thin again.

Let's all lighten up so our faithful steeds will be more comfortable!,

Cheers

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wl4GcRq/weight.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wl4GcRq/)

MustangMolly
01-18-2012, 08:51 AM
He's gorgeous!! What a great horse! I'm so impressed that you can mount from the ground. He's the same height as my horse and we're about the same weight but, I can't do it. I'm going to try again this weekend.

Hi Sekc and thanks. I have to admit somtimes I have my husband hold the stirrup on the opposite side to keep from rolling my saddle or pulling my horse off balance. I've always had horses that were quite tall so I'm sure that has helped me to be able to continue to mount from the ground. Good luck to you, I know you can do it! I can't tell from the picture, is your horse a roan or a palomino? Or neither, LOL!

Hello fellow horse lovers!!!
I too have had horses all my life, right now I have two old quarter horses (chubby 32, Tina 27) and I have a mare snazzy(9 yrs) with arthritis in the knees but I hope to breed her soon, she is a shining spark, peppy San bred mare, I would love a baby out of her--the only horse I can ride is my 16 year old quarter gelding, Gunner, he is a burned out NRHA reining horse, but he is an awesom ranch horse. I use to show too, many years ago. I did a lot of horse packing, but now I am content chasing cows on my brothers ranch.

I want to lose this weight in part because I can barely get on a horse anymore. Poor gunner! Boy he is gonna love it next summer! When I am thin again.

Let's all lighten up so our faithful steeds will be more comfortable!,

Cheers

WOW 32 years old, that is something! Do you ever miss showing? We used to show but are now content trail riding. Every once in awhile I get the "show bug" but then remember just how subjective showing/judging walking horses is and I am happy on the trail.

Happy Trails to you both!

Lmflora
01-18-2012, 09:07 AM
No, I don't really miss showing. However a few years ago I entered a ladies ranch horse competition and had a blast. I don't have time, maybe in a couple of years things may lighten up. Where I live there is not many options for us mature women to show. Mostly oriented toward youth. We do have a growing cutting community, but I don't have a horse, and cannot afford to buy a cutting horse. Thus I would like to raise one and hopefully be able to work cows.

My old horse is quite dear to me, I have had him for 30 of those years. Longer then my husband...it will shake me to the core when his time comes.

Cheers

ShanCo
01-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Wow! So fun to enjoy horse talk with everyone! I miss showing so much, my hope is that I can start again once I can get myself zipped into a pair of equitation chaps...LOL!

MustangMolly, gorgeous boy!

LmFlora...ShiningSpark AND Peppy San Badger...definitely worth breeding, I'd love to see that baby! :)

I'm on the lookout right now for my new horse, winter is the time to get a deal, but I have a test rider to take with me right now ;)

MustangMolly
01-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Wow! So fun to enjoy horse talk with everyone! I miss showing so much, my hope is that I can start again once I can get myself zipped into a pair of equitation chaps...LOL!

MustangMolly, gorgeous boy!

LmFlora...ShiningSpark AND Peppy San Badger...definitely worth breeding, I'd love to see that baby! :)

I'm on the lookout right now for my new horse, winter is the time to get a deal, but I have a test rider to take with me right now ;)

Thanks Shan, what kind of horses do you ride? I am so glad you started this thread, I too enjoy talking with other horse lovers.

ShanCo
01-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Molly - I started on Arabians when I was a kid and realized quickly that I don't move as fast sideways as they do...LOL! Then moved to Appaloosa's, my favorite boy was a quarter horse bred Appy, he is the one that I will never forget and compare every other horse to! I am on a search to find his long-lost twin! ;) How about you?

MustangMolly
01-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Molly - I started on Arabians when I was a kid and realized quickly that I don't move as fast sideways as they do...LOL! Then moved to Appaloosa's, my favorite boy was a quarter horse bred Appy, he is the one that I will never forget and compare every other horse to! I am on a search to find his long-lost twin! ;) How about you?

I have a TN Walking Horse. As a kid I didn't know there was anything but quarter horses, now I have a TN Walking horse. I really love the smooth ride and the sensation of going fast without moving up and down in the saddle. MY hubby rides a racking horse and he can really move on..about 25 MPH and still be in that smooth 4-beat gait.

ShanCo
01-18-2012, 06:15 PM
I have a TN Walking Horse. As a kid I didn't know there was anything but quarter horses, now I have a TN Walking horse. I really love the smooth ride and the sensation of going fast without moving up and down in the saddle. MY hubby rides a racking horse and he can really move on..about 25 MPH and still be in that smooth 4-beat gait.

I rode a TN Walker once, it was really fun! Quarter Horses are the norm around here for sure, everyone makes fun of me with my Appy love, but I just can't help it! LOL 25 MPH...wow!!!

rubyh
01-19-2012, 10:06 AM
I currently have 4 horses - 18 yr old arab gelding, 17 yr old paint mare, 12 yr old 1/2 arab mare and 3 yr old 1/2 arab filly. Unfortunately, with this many horses, I hardly have time to ride. I spend most of my time cleaning stalls, feeding,bathing horses, etc. Fixing to start riding again. I had a busy year last year and only rode sporadically. Hoping for more ride time this year. I really miss it, and its great exercise. Not to mention, very relaxing!

wyo1963
01-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Well what fun! A bunch of horse lovers! I grew u on a ranch and have ridden, shown and rodeoed most of my life. I was a highschool rodeo queen, County Rodeo queen and State rodeo queen. I couldn't put my big toe in my chaps now! I might be exagerating a little on the last one. I ponyed race colts for two seasons in the last two years. Talk about get your legs and butt in shape! Well, I moved away from the track, and didn't have that great excersise this summer. I am on the do it yourself IP diet. Started on the 11th and I have lost 11 #. I am excited about it. Just like getting a fat horse in shape slow and easy to start!

ShanCo
01-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Well what fun! A bunch of horse lovers! I grew u on a ranch and have ridden, shown and rodeoed most of my life. I was a highschool rodeo queen, County Rodeo queen and State rodeo queen. I couldn't put my big toe in my chaps now! I might be exagerating a little on the last one. I ponyed race colts for two seasons in the last two years. Talk about get your legs and butt in shape! Well, I moved away from the track, and didn't have that great excersise this summer. I am on the do it yourself IP diet. Started on the 11th and I have lost 11 #. I am excited about it. Just like getting a fat horse in shape slow and easy to start!

LOL! Love it! I always wanted to do the rodeo stuff, but was too much of a wimp to go that fast, so I stuck with Western Pleasure...was Grand Champion at the fair back in my day...ditto about the chaps...ha ha!!!

Lmflora
01-21-2012, 04:50 PM

Hello fellow Wyoming ranch lady- I too grew up on a wyo ranch, and have moved back to the ranch. I never rodeoed- more into QH youth/English/reining/working cow horse/horse packing/ranch horse competitions/--- in that order, I've done a little of everything- depending on the horse- where are you locate in Wyoming ?

Cheers

tiggergirl9
01-21-2012, 05:07 PM
I too grew up riding horses.

I am now down to my one 17 year old Arabian gelding who unfortunately is just 14.2 and very small boned so I haven't ridden him in about 6 years due to my weight.

Getting back on the horse is a huge motivator for my weight loss, but even now I take my boy for walks, yes him on a lead me walking around the neighborhood, he's such a funny fellow lol.

He was an early weaner due to a serious elbow injury at just a few months old so he grew up bottle fed for a bit and having people in the stall with him 24-7 so he loves humans and likes them best on the ground petting him he's still a little bemused when I would get on him, he was like okay mom but this is a little weird lol.

He's in perfect health and his elbow healed perfectly like nothing ever happened so if I can get this weight off I look forward to swinging back up on him and riding around the neighborhood (yes we live in a rather expensive but still pretty rural neighborhood where several people on my street hide multiple horses behind their fancy houses and ride around the neighborhood, I love it). Glad to see so many horse people working on their weight, makes me feel less of an oddball :)

MustangMolly
01-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Hi Triggergirl, welcome to the horselovers section of IP! LOL It reallys is a big motivator for me knowing how much better off my horse will be as I lose more weight. He takes good care of me so it's the least I can do for him!

sekc14
01-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Bump!

ShanCo
01-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Bump!

Thanks for the Bump :dizzy: I have my 3rd weigh in tomorrow, feeling good about it, although I do know my loss will slow down. I just want to get to 240 by Spring so I can ride! My neighbor has a couple extra horses that she offered up to me until I find my new man...I know I can do it!

wyo1963
01-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Hello fellow Wyoming ranch lady- I too grew up on a wyo ranch, and have moved back to the ranch. I never rodeoed- more into QH youth/English/reining/working cow horse/horse packing/ranch horse competitions/--- in that order, I've done a little of everything- depending on the horse- where are you locate in Wyoming ?

Cheers

Gillette- now. Raised and lived in Sheridan- miss it!!! You?

wyo1963
01-24-2012, 09:10 AM
LOL! Love it! I always wanted to do the rodeo stuff, but was too much of a wimp to go that fast, so I stuck with Western Pleasure...was Grand Champion at the fair back in my day...ditto about the chaps...ha ha!!!

Loved doing WP. Can't beat that rockin chair ride! Maybe we can be Champions again in the wt loss category? I was a noodle back in the day! I am just looking forward to putting the "spare tire" back on the truck!!!!! I cheated yesterday, had a very small piece of cheese, it was litterly yelling at me when I opened the fridge to fix dinner. Goofy how I felt bad for eating it! Like I am going to go to **** or something.? Back on track though. Well, need to get on my gazelle and do my 20 minutes. I think that has helped me alot. Loosened up my joints and gives me air! Have a blessed day and "Tally Ho" towards wt. loss!:carrot:

wyo1963
01-24-2012, 09:20 AM
I too grew up riding horses.

I am now down to my one 17 year old Arabian gelding who unfortunately is just 14.2 and very small boned so I haven't ridden him in about 6 years due to my weight.

Getting back on the horse is a huge motivator for my weight loss, but even now I take my boy for walks, yes him on a lead me walking around the neighborhood, he's such a funny fellow lol.

He was an early weaner due to a serious elbow injury at just a few months old so he grew up bottle fed for a bit and having people in the stall with him 24-7 so he loves humans and likes them best on the ground petting him he's still a little bemused when I would get on him, he was like okay mom but this is a little weird lol.

He's in perfect health and his elbow healed perfectly like nothing ever happened so if I can get this weight off I look forward to swinging back up on him and riding around the neighborhood (yes we live in a rather expensive but still pretty rural neighborhood where several people on my street hide multiple horses behind their fancy houses and ride around the neighborhood, I love it). Glad to see so many horse people working on their weight, makes me feel less of an oddball :)

Cool- riding in the "hood". Lovely way to get exercise. You could do the queen wave to the neighbors. haha Sounds like you have a beautiful place to take walks to get out and get fresh air. I am sure some of the folks on here don't have that. I have the great out doors too, Wyoming! Right now I am horseless, I moved in with my fiance' and don't want to stall out my horse across town. But when he retires we will be moving to AZ, where I will promptly get chickens and another horse or 2. Yippee!!:carrot: Well, I am off to jump on the Gazelle( exercise machine) just for a shorty work out. Have a wonderful day and give your horse a kiss from WYO1963 for me!

KarinF
01-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Hi all,
I am a Mule rider now! I was riding my Appy mare but she passed on due to colic. I had 3 mules in the pasture so I decided to start riding them instead of getting another horse. I am happy with the switch!

Nice to meet you all! I am new to the forum and new to the IP diet. I was on Atkins diet for over 5 years and did great on it. I went off it a couple years back for some stupid reason and am finding it hard to get started on induction again. I decided to try the IP because it had some structure. Will see where it takes me. I need to get back into riding shape for spring. I too want to be able to mount from the ground and not pull my mule over LOL. It doesn't help that he is 16 hands.

MustangMolly
01-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Hi all,
I am a Mule rider now! I was riding my Appy mare but she passed on due to colic. I had 3 mules in the pasture so I decided to start riding them instead of getting another horse. I am happy with the switch!

Nice to meet you all! I am new to the forum and new to the IP diet. I was on Atkins diet for over 5 years and did great on it. I went off it a couple years back for some stupid reason and am finding it hard to get started on induction again. I decided to try the IP because it had some structure. Will see where it takes me. I need to get back into riding shape for spring. I too want to be able to mount from the ground and not pull my mule over LOL. It doesn't help that he is 16 hands.

Nice looking mule, and he is a big boy! I have often wanted to get a gaited mule, to me it would be the best of both worlds...smooth ride and surefooted. Welcome to IP, you will find lots of helpful information here at 3FC.

ShanCo
01-26-2012, 08:34 AM
Loved doing WP. Can't beat that rockin chair ride! Maybe we can be Champions again in the wt loss category? I was a noodle back in the day! I am just looking forward to putting the "spare tire" back on the truck!!!!! I cheated yesterday, had a very small piece of cheese, it was litterly yelling at me when I opened the fridge to fix dinner. Goofy how I felt bad for eating it! Like I am going to go to **** or something.? Back on track though. Well, need to get on my gazelle and do my 20 minutes. I think that has helped me alot. Loosened up my joints and gives me air! Have a blessed day and "Tally Ho" towards wt. loss!:carrot:

Yep, so smooth, love the rocking chair :) So funny you cheated with cheese! 2 days ago I was craving so bad to bite into a big hunk of cheese, I told my husband I didn't even really feel like I needed to eat it, I just wanted to bite into it....weird, I know! LOL!

KarinF
01-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Such a beautiful day today! Too bad I am in training for work or I would take the day off and go play with the mules.

I feel a little better this morning. The scale finally moved a bit. I was stuck on the same weight for 4 days and was getting frustrated.

It is funny that ShanCo and MustangMolly are craving cheese. I am craving apples and cheese together! " I will not cave to my crave"

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Stay strong and happy trails!

KarinF
01-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Nice looking mule, and he is a big boy! I have often wanted to get a gaited mule, to me it would be the best of both worlds...smooth ride and surefooted. Welcome to IP, you will find lots of helpful information here at 3FC.

Thank you MustangMolly! His name is Turd-Le. That is the name he came with and we never changed it. We got him when he was 2 years old and he is now 18. He was a rescue mule. I have 2 others that were born on our farm. Amos and Ruby. They are full brother, sister. These two are not gaited but are very smooth to ride. I used to have a Tenn Walking mule. She was very smooth. I had to sell her to a friend because I was killing her with kindness. I foundered her. It is hard to work and keep track on weight on the animals, let alone ourselves, when you work and dont ride often. I see her a couple times a year and am happy she is at a good home now.

Thanks for the welcome and I am loving the 3FC!

wyo1963
01-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Thank you MustangMolly! His name is Turd-Le. That is the name he came with and we never changed it. We got him when he was 2 years old and he is now 18. He was a rescue mule. I have 2 others that were born on our farm. Amos and Ruby. They are full brother, sister. These two are not gaited but are very smooth to ride. I used to have a Tenn Walking mule. She was very smooth. I had to sell her to a friend because I was killing her with kindness. I foundered her. It is hard to work and keep track on weight on the animals, let alone ourselves, when you work and dont ride often. I see her a couple times a year and am happy she is at a good home now.

OMG- Turd! He's so stinkin' cute! lol ha ha I have never ridden a mule, I think I would like it. I watched some mules at a cutting I was at one time. They are so cute. Had some great training on them! My friend in Montana has a donkey named "49" that she has has since whe was 4 years old! My friend is 37 years old! Of course, like me, she takes care of her horses and "49" like they are royalty. Vit/min/stall/grass field/trim bi monthly/ mash in the winter/excersie/ blankets etc... Wow if we were only as good to ourselves!!!! That seems to be a downfall of mine. I have started to get a message once a week to help with the cellulite. Hate that stuff. Excersing has helped a bunch, but this will help too! Well just rambling.. have a blessed OP day!!!:D

MustangMolly
01-27-2012, 10:16 AM

:LOL: Turd-Le, I love it! I'm guessing it says alot about his personality when he was born.

ShanCo
01-27-2012, 04:26 PM

LOL! Turd-Le....awesome!

MustangMolly
01-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Good morning fellow horse lovers. We are having unusally warm temps here in TN for this time of year and it really makes me want saddle up Nemo and ride! I haven't tried getting on him since losing 25 pounds, I am so anxious to see how much of a difference that makes and can only imagine how much easier it will be when I reach my goal! Have a great IP week everyone.

wyo1963
01-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Good morning fellow horse lovers. We are having unusally warm temps here in TN for this time of year and it really makes me want saddle up Nemo and ride! I haven't tried getting on him since losing 25 pounds, I am so anxious to see how much of a difference that makes and can only imagine how much easier it will be when I reach my goal! Have a great IP week everyone.

Wierd nice here too! In the 40's all week. Not a usual for Wyoming! Nemo will be excited to have you ride him, especially since your down 25! Congrat's on that! I am stalled a bit; TOM. Bla. Things will pick right back up, I am sure. Have a great evening, enjoy your warmth!

ShanCo
01-30-2012, 10:25 PM

Excited to hear how your ride went! Weather here has been unusually warm too, it was mid 50's today...wish I had a horse right now! If the weather stays this way, I'll be bumming a ride at my neighbors this weekend for sure! :)

tiggergirl9
01-30-2012, 11:05 PM
PS I am doing calorie counting and not IP but I wanted to butt into the horse discussion :)

MustangMolly
01-31-2012, 08:06 AM
Excited to hear how your ride went! Weather here has been unusually warm too, it was mid 50's today...wish I had a horse right now! If the weather stays this way, I'll be bumming a ride at my neighbors this weekend for sure! :)

Hi Shan, I didn't actually plan on riding, just wishing I could. By the time I get home in the evenings this time of year and get my "chores" done I just don't take the time to ride.

PS I am doing calorie counting and not IP but I wanted to butt into the horse discussion :)

Hi Tigger, welcome to the horse lovers. Please do jump in. Do you currently have horses? If so, what breed? Are you a trail rider or do you show or both?

MustangMolly
04-10-2012, 11:30 AM
It's been awhile since the horse lovers have chatted. I wanted to share my first ride experience after losing 35 pounds. It was so much easier getting up on my big boy. At 5'2" it can be a challenge getting on a 15.3 horse. I can't wait to see how much easier it will be when I lose another 35 pounds! Hope everyone is doing well and getting in some riding. Saddle up!!!

PEIslandGirl
04-10-2012, 08:22 PM
It's been awhile since the horse lovers have chatted. I wanted to share my first ride experience after losing 35 pounds. It was so much easier getting up on my big boy. At 5'2" it can be a challenge getting on a 15.3 horse. I can't wait to see how much easier it will be when I lose another 35 pounds! Hope everyone is doing well and getting in some riding. Saddle up!!!

We had snow 2 days ago but it is almost gone. I am hoping to ride on the weekend if it is dry enough. I think my horse will appreciate the lighter rider this year. By the way I have a 11yr old roan appaloosa mare named Ginger - I don't show just western trail riding.

sekc14
04-10-2012, 10:21 PM

:bravo: :carrot::carrot:
From this point every 10 lbs will be a new riding experience!! I'm so happy for you!!

futureskinnygirl
04-12-2012, 04:35 PM
I got excited when I saw this thread. I too have a horse. I have shown performance horses since I was 11. Hunt seat, western pleasure, showmanship, and halter. I qualified for nationals in 1993 (many moons ago) -:) My original mare from the time I was 11 passed away in 2004 at the age of 30. I have a tatoo of her on my ankle and my show saddle name plate has her name on it. I have lost 80 pounds and boy do I feel better in the saddle! I'm sure my horse appreciates it too! Excited to get to know you all!

Kam

lowrider04
04-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Wow I just found this thread...so happy! I have had horses my entire life too. I had to give them up about 5 yrs ago because of my Fibromyalgia. I showed western pleasure, trail,some reining. After I retired from showing my daughter took over and I was the leader of our local 4-H for 7yrs than we joined the US Pony Club where I became DC here in MD. I loved every miniute of it. I did how ever after selling our herd, decided my life was boring so I bought a Harley Davidson which I still ride to this day. No barn work and mucking stalls! I just wax her up once a year! I still have all of my kids that were in both clubs on my facebook page..I still love them all! My love of horses will never be lost. I search Dream Horse classified daily!! Ha!

KarinF
04-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Hi All!

I am feeling great too! I have been out riding a a few times and it feels great! I am down 35 lbs since January and love it. Got a few ACTHA Rides in my near future so am happy to have shed the pounds :-)

Do any of you do the ACTHA Rides??

Karin

KarinF
04-24-2012, 09:43 AM
WOW the horsey folks must all be out riding!! Not much going on for conversation.

When I go riding with the ladies, we always sit and relax and have a drink when the animals are all groomed and the tack put away. Well the last couple week-ends I haven't lost any weight and I have actually put on a couple pounds!!

I like Mike's Hard Lemon-Aid Light. I had one the first day after riding and one the second day. I gained a pound a drink! My food didn't change at all. I didn't think that one Mike's Light would impact me that much. Same thing happened this last week-end too!

I am also wondering if maybe the extra exercise is making me hold on to the weight more. Maybe I need to add more food or packets in on riding days. I really haven't lost much weight at all this month. I thought spring would come and my weight would melt off and I would be at my goal quicker but in fact I am gaining and not sure why????

Any thoughts??

KarinF
04-27-2012, 11:26 AM
BUMP Are the horse folks still here?

MustangMolly
04-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Speaking for myself.... I'm still here! I have a charity ride this weekend, it will be so good to be on my horse again.

KarinF
04-27-2012, 01:16 PM
I am doing a charity ride this week-end too!! It is an ACTHA ride. Some of the money raised goes to horse charities :-)

Tripmama
04-29-2012, 02:37 AM
Close to a riding weight. I have a 11 y.o. Gelding..Too Tall. He is the best.

GemIAm
04-29-2012, 09:57 PM
So happy to see the horsey thread! I am also a short gal who rides a tall horse (Secret, my bay draft-cross mare is 15.3). We also have Sheba, my 12 year old daughter's 4H mare, who is a saddlebred cross, and today I picked up a care lease horse - "My Own Horse"... a little 14.1 arab for Natasha to work with/learn from as well. My hubby is so used to our big girls that I unloaded My Own & he said "Where is the rest of him?"

SO happy to be losing weight for my own sake - & for Secret's. The first time I mounted after losing 25 lbs I used the same effort I used to need and nearly launched myself over her back!

GemIAm
05-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Bump!

MustangMolly
07-09-2012, 11:46 AM
How are all my horse riding/loving peeps doing? We are finally getting a bit of a cool of here in TN so maybe I can ride this weekend.

hyrysk
07-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Got to ride for a couple of hours yesterday. Sometimes I think my horse enjoys me bing on IP more than I do.:D

ChaloJ
07-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Hi all! I'm not the horsy one in my family. My oldest 2 daughters love and care for our horse and pony, but they just left the country for a month. Gulp! They've been working with my 8y to train her in their care, but I'll be overseeing her. So maybe I might need to pick your brains or something! Tell me I can do this!!!!!!

paulimapi
07-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Aw hi :D I love horses! I have one and I love him. Riding is my therapy, to be honest, it works amazingly.

des692781
07-09-2012, 02:38 PM
I rode my first horse at the age of 5 where I became fascinated with them. My dad bought my first pony not long after. I barrel-raced throughout high school. Then I got my first job and my parents sold my horse :( Now I'm 31 years old and 2 kids later I'm ready to start riding again my youngest is 6 months old so I'm loosing the baby weight slowly but surely.

MustangMolly
07-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Hi all! I'm not the horsy one in my family. My oldest 2 daughters love and care for our horse and pony, but they just left the country for a month. Gulp! They've been working with my 8y to train her in their care, but I'll be overseeing her. So maybe I might need to pick your brains or something! Tell me I can do this!!!!!!

Well of course you can!

ShanCo
12-24-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm back....decided to quit in June (not phase off, just quit) my head and addiction to food got the best of me. I told myself I was going to just diet on my own...yeah that lasted for about 2 days and now here I am right back where I was in January. This time I'm in it to win it and 100% OP forever! Down 14 pounds in the first 2 weeks and keeping my eye on the prize! I'm hoping to be down to 220 by summer and find another horse then :) Any of you girls still around? How's it going?

MustangMolly
12-26-2012, 08:32 AM
I'm back....decided to quit in June (not phase off, just quit) my head and addiction to food got the best of me. I told myself I was going to just diet on my own...yeah that lasted for about 2 days and now here I am right back where I was in January. This time I'm in it to win it and 100% OP forever! Down 14 pounds in the first 2 weeks and keeping my eye on the prize! I'm hoping to be down to 220 by summer and find another horse then :) Any of you girls still around? How's it going?

Hi Shan, nice to see you back on here. I fell off the wagon this summer too. Thought I could handle making good choices and get back on the program after summer and all of our camping and riding trips. Well that didn't work so well, I gained back 20 of the pounds I lost but am back at now. WE can do this, just have to do it the right way. :hug:

breezie68
12-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Hi Everyone :)
I missed this thread!

I've been riding hunters and foxhunting since a very young age. I live in the perfect area for horses--- right outside of Middleburg VA.
I used to do the A shows in my childrens hunters years, but when I turned 18, I found a passion for buying off the track throughbreds and retraining them.
I currently own a horse I got from the track, and retrained and showed for years, however I have him full leased out to a Jr rider who's riding him on the circuit.
She's going to college soon, so I'm sure I will get him back, and I will just enjoy riding him- he's getting older (will be 16 this year), so I'm looking forward to his golden years :)

I used to work in the horse industry, and was in the best shape of my life... hoping to get back there :)

ShanCo
12-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Hi Shan, nice to see you back on here. I fell off the wagon this summer too. Thought I could handle making good choices and get back on the program after summer and all of our camping and riding trips. Well that didn't work so well, I gained back 20 of the pounds I lost but am back at now. WE can do this, just have to do it the right way. :hug:

I know we can! this is it...I'm tired of dieting ALL THE TIME! This time it is a lifestyle change for good! :)

Hi Everyone :)
I missed this thread!

I've been riding hunters and foxhunting since a very young age. I live in the perfect area for horses--- right outside of Middleburg VA.
I used to do the A shows in my childrens hunters years, but when I turned 18, I found a passion for buying off the track throughbreds and retraining them.
I currently own a horse I got from the track, and retrained and showed for years, however I have him full leased out to a Jr rider who's riding him on the circuit.
She's going to college soon, so I'm sure I will get him back, and I will just enjoy riding him- he's getting older (will be 16 this year), so I'm looking forward to his golden years :)

I used to work in the horse industry, and was in the best shape of my life... hoping to get back there :)

Oh...you are a brave one! ;) I prefer my slow and steady western pleasure horses...I would LOVE to start doing local fun shows again once I get down (can't afford the glitz they wear in the "real" show rings these days, geesh!).
Glad to have some horse gals around to chat with!

DJ72
12-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Hi there! I am starting IP on Jan 2...One more NewYears Party! Hee hee
I have two horses. One is 19 and the other is 17. I just bought them 2 years ago...waited all my life for them. Took lessons and showed as a child but had to give it up. It is very difficult mounting a 15.3 hand horse when you are 40 lbs overweight. And poor horse. I will get on the plan and stick to the plan...and THAT is my plan! Nice to meet you all!