Ideal Protein Diet - About to Give Up

View Full Version : About to Give Up

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 09:55 AM
:?:

I weighed myself this a.m. because I was so anxious to see my results this week, official WI not til tomorrow, and I found that I gained a lb:?:

Last week was TOM so I expected not to lose, this week I was 100% OP, did not cheat once, drank all my water, took my pills, ate the veggies, did everything right and when I expected to lose 3-4 lbs I gain instead?

I don't understand. I thought the low carb way was going to work for me. I have lost 1.8 lbs in 3 weeks. Everytime my body reaches this weight it stays there. Why? Feeling so discouraged I cried this morning. Since my 20's I've struggled with this, never reaching my goal. I just want to be comfortable in my own skin.:(

Please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. Or am I just destined to be this size forever!

SomedayBubblySomeday
01-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Don't give up yet! There could be many reasons...first, are you sure your scale is accurate? Secondly, have you had your thyroid function checked? Lots of people have said that they plateau for a couple of weeks at a time. I know it is hard to not see the results you want when you are working so hard, but please keep going a little bit longer. Talk to your coach tomorrow and see what they say. Can you talk to your doctor? I'm so sorry you are feeling discouraged. Keep your chin up and push the giving up thoughts out of your mind at least until you can have a meeting with your coach.

galpal445
01-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Ah, don't give up. If you work this plan, it really does work. If you are doing the IP plan using IP products then my comments will be valid for you otherwise I don't have an answer for you.

Are you keeping a food diary? I find that when I do that I can sometimes pinpoint something that I may be doing that is hindering my weight loss. But you have to be honest or it won't work. A little bite of this or a little sip of something all count towards your daily intake. Maybe something you are using actually has sugar in it that you didn't know about.

Plus our bodies just sometimes don't cooperate when we ask them to release the extra weight. We need to keep focused and continue on-plan with no cheating at all and eventually the body releases the weight.

Don't give up. It could still be you are retaining water for some reason.

abuck
01-13-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm sorry you're frustrated. You mention that this week was a 100% OP week. Did you have small cheats the last few weeks that might attribute to the smaller losses?

The scale is not the ONLY sign of success on this diet. Are your clothes fitting better? I also think that how I feel eating on this diet is more important than the actual pounds. Are you feeling better eating IP than your previous diet?

I think that since this has been a plateau point in the past it might be expected to slow down now. Wouldn't you like to know what would happen if you pressed on at this weight instead of quitting? Especially since you've been fighting with this for so long?

I say you can do this. You have been OP for a significant amount of time. You have the tools and the routine that will make you get to your goal. Try to focus on something rather than just the pounds. Keep your chin up! Good luck! :p

Momto2cs
01-13-2012, 10:09 AM
It looks like overall you have lost 14 pounds in 6 weeks...and over Christmas!

This would be great progress for any diet. I think you should stick to it for another month and see where you end up.

Make sure you are writing down everything you are eating and ask for advice from your coach or on this forum. There are many sources of support out there!

Good luck!

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Don't give up yet! There could be many reasons...first, are you sure your scale is accurate? Secondly, have you had your thyroid function checked? Lots of people have said that they plateau for a couple of weeks at a time. I know it is hard to not see the results you want when you are working so hard, but please keep going a little bit longer. Talk to your coach tomorrow and see what they say. Can you talk to your doctor? I'm so sorry you are feeling discouraged. Keep your chin up and push the giving up thoughts out of your mind at least until you can have a meeting with your coach.

thank you, I checked my thyroid a few years ago and the doctor said it was good. My scale is very accurate, almost identical to my coach's. Funny this is the first week I felt so hungry (hungrier than I've felt for a while), I also felt so lethargic. I wonder if I'm not eating enough? I also try to keep a tally of how many calories I'm eating, I estimate around 800-900, most days, I hardly ever reach a 1000 calories a day. It's so hard to keep motivated when I don't see results. My carb count is anywhere from 25-35 a day, including my veggies (I try to consider that too)

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Ah, don't give up. If you work this plan, it really does work. If you are doing the IP plan using IP products then my comments will be valid for you otherwise I don't have an answer for you.

Are you keeping a food diary? I find that when I do that I can sometimes pinpoint something that I may be doing that is hindering my weight loss. But you have to be honest or it won't work. A little bite of this or a little sip of something all count towards your daily intake. Maybe something you are using actually has sugar in it that you didn't know about.

Plus our bodies just sometimes don't cooperate when we ask them to release the extra weight. We need to keep focused and continue on-plan with no cheating at all and eventually the body releases the weight.

Don't give up. It could still be you are retaining water for some reason.

Yes I keep a food diary. I have not cheated and I'm using the IP products. I drink 10-12 cups of water a day. I was hungry lots this week and felt tired. Wonder if maybe I'm not eating enough? I'm going myself one more week on this, it's not worth it to me if I'm going to feel like crap and still not lose weight:?:

galpal445
01-13-2012, 10:21 AM
I noticed you posted on Tuesday that you have a hard boiled egg & cucumber every day as a snack between breakfast & lunch. But that you don't count them as part of your protein intake for the day.

You might want to rethink that choice.

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm sorry you're frustrated. You mention that this week was a 100% OP week. Did you have small cheats the last few weeks that might attribute to the smaller losses?

The scale is not the ONLY sign of success on this diet. Are your clothes fitting better? I also think that how I feel eating on this diet is more important than the actual pounds. Are you feeling better eating IP than your previous diet?

I think that since this has been a plateau point in the past it might be expected to slow down now. Wouldn't you like to know what would happen if you pressed on at this weight instead of quitting? Especially since you've been fighting with this for so long?

I say you can do this. You have been OP for a significant amount of time. You have the tools and the routine that will make you get to your goal. Try to focus on something rather than just the pounds. Keep your chin up! Good luck! :p

Funny you should say that, the previous weeks, especially during Xmas I cheated both xmas day and xmas eve, went back on plan for 5 days before my WI and lost 1.8. Since then have not cheated at all. Not even small cheats. But like I said I felt hungrier this week and very tired. Went to bed hungry a few nights (if I'm in Ketosis should I be this hungry) and I also had headaches (some thing I didn't even experience during the first few weeks)

and yes I'm going to give it another week, maybe I will be surprised next week and drop 10 lbs? lol

Pamelama
01-13-2012, 10:24 AM

This would be great progress for any diet. I think you should stick to it for another month and see where you end up.

Make sure you are writing down everything you are eating and ask for advice from your coach or on this forum. There are many sources of support out there!

Good luck!

Agree! 14 pounds in 6 weeks is excellent! How are your clothes fitting? Lots of water write everything down! You're doing great! :)

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 10:24 AM
I noticed you posted on Tuesday that you have a hard boiled egg & cucumber every day as a snack between breakfast & lunch. But that you don't count them as part of your protein intake for the day.

You might want to rethink that choice.

this week I had the hard boiled egg but counted it as my protein, I had less protein for dinner as a result (4-5 oz only). One day I didn't even have my restrictive, I had a shake instead because I didn't feel like the bars.

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 10:25 AM

Good luck!

yes but 7.8 of that was the first week, in fact I've lost 1.8 lbs in 4 weeks on this program. But I will stick with it for another week and see what happens.

NavyMommy
01-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Can you write out what an average day looks like for you (including oil, seasonings, teas, ect.)? There might be something that's keeping you from losing that you're not even aware of.

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 10:59 AM
sure, here goes:

bfast: IP Shake & green tea (half a teaspoon of splenda)
snacks: boiled egg and half an english cucumber
lunch: IP shake & 2 cups of salad (dressing is my own I make, EVOO, vinegar and spices), 2 tsps.
snack p.m.: IP Bar
dinner: 5-8 oz of meat, 2 cups of veggies (this week I had xtra lean hamburger twice), one day I had a whole egg and 2 whites for dinner with my salad and veggies), yesterday I had rotisserie chicken and 2 cups of veggies)

I do not have any packet at night although I am hungry some nights. This week I had half a vanilla pudding because I was hungry on night.

Also I vary it, I may have 3 oz of meat and my salad with lunch and have my IP packet at night around 7:30 (I try not to eat pass 8 p.m.)

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Agree! 14 pounds in 6 weeks is excellent! How are your clothes fitting? Lots of water write everything down! You're doing great! :)

I drink 10-12 cups of water a day, religiously!!
and my clothes are much looser and do feel good on me, that's the one thing keeping me going now.

NavyMommy
01-13-2012, 11:12 AM
The clothes being looser is great!! That's motivation right there. One question, with your 2 cups of salad for lunch are you eating 2 cups of veggies plus the lettuce or 2 cups including the lettuce? The lettuce is free and doesn't count for a veggie (unless it's spinach) so if you're just eating 2 cups of salad all together you may need more veggies.

Also, I know you addressed it further up but the way I read when you wrote is a boiled egg + 5-8oz meat. You might try cutting the egg out and making sure you're getting 8oz (measured raw) meat every night.

Have you talked to your coach? Who knows, maybe tonight the woosh fairy will visit and you'll be down by the morning. If this is a weight your body is comfortable at it might just take it a little longer to move the scale, but it will move! HTH!

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks Navy but I feel if I eat any less on this diet I will faint. I already feel lethargic on the little I"m eating now.
The days I eat the boiled egg I eat less meat (4-5 oz).
I haven't talked to my coach yet, will address it tomorrow. And I'm hoping you're right and the woosh fairy will make me lose tomorrow lol. I doubt it though.
And when I say 2 cups of salad I mean romaine and more cucumbers, red peppers on my salad. I also have with my bar in the p.m. mixed veggies. I don't have the C problem so I know I"m getting enough fibre. I'm also taking a fibre supplement every day my coach recommended.

sigh......

galpal445
01-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Do you exercise? If you are exercising a lot then you really DO need to eat more. And the exercise can hinder your weight loss.

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 11:39 AM
I don't exercise which is hard for me because I use to go to the gym 3-4 times a week. I have since stopped that because I know, even when I did WW, when I exercise I don't lose.

The most exercise I get is some resistance training I do 3 times a week, just pushups, situps, stretches, just to keep things toned. No cardio. No weights.

Determinedat47
01-13-2012, 11:52 AM
:?:

I weighed myself this a.m. because I was so anxious to see my results this week, official WI not til tomorrow, and I found that I gained a lb:?:

Last week was TOM so I expected not to lose, this week I was 100% OP, did not cheat once, drank all my water, took my pills, ate the veggies, did everything right and when I expected to lose 3-4 lbs I gain instead?

I don't understand. I thought the low carb way was going to work for me. I have lost 1.8 lbs in 3 weeks. Everytime my body reaches this weight it stays there. Why? Feeling so discouraged I cried this morning. Since my 20's I've struggled with this, never reaching my goal. I just want to be comfortable in my own skin.:(

Please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. Or am I just destined to be this size forever!

Paleeease! I assure you, a hard boiled egg is not going to cause a gain. If your body is at a weight that it has "lived" at for long periods of time, you will hit a bump in the road and plateau for awhile. Stay the course and I promise you the Whoosh fairy will visit you soon. Reallyreallyreally.

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Paleeease! I assure you, a hard boiled egg is not going to cause a gain. If your body is at a weight that it has "lived" at for long periods of time, you will hit a bump in the road and plateau for awhile. Stay the course and I promise you the Whoosh fairy will visit you soon. Reallyreallyreally.

I thought so, that egg is something that keeps me from starving and I do not think it's causing me to not lose.

My body has never been lighter than this, maybe 5 lbs but I've never been in the 130's. I really hope you're right. I am giving this one more week. If I stay the same next week I might have to consider another program?

Thank you.

NavyMommy
01-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Let us know what your coach says tomorrow!! It does sound like your body is just comfortable at the moment, and might take a little longer to break through. GL!!

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Thank you, I've been trying really really hard. The hardest I"ve tried on any diet. Never wanted to waste my money on this so I am serious about losing the weight.

will post tomorrow what the coach suggested. Maybe she will say cut out the restrictives for a week:( that would suck or maybe add a packet more at night. Not sure.

Thanks for all your advice everyone. Will keep on plugging.

purple sky
01-13-2012, 12:22 PM
I do not have any packet at night although I am hungry some nights. This week I had half a vanilla pudding because I was hungry on night.

Hi there, I am new to this so I don't know if I can be of help but the one thing my coach insisted on was the nighttime snack. I don't remember why but I just remember that was important so I force that one even if I feel full all evening. Lately, I have been doing drinks for my evening snack because they are easier to get down on a full stomach.

Also, hang in there. It's my understanding that those of us who are not quite tall can lose weight at a much slower pace.

Also, I understand what you mean about the hunger. During the day I am too hungry and too full at dinner. I am beginning to think I am one of those people designed for 5 small meals a day.

wuv2bloved
01-13-2012, 12:23 PM
sure, here goes:

lunch: IP shake & 2 cups of salad (dressing is my own I make, EVOO, vinegar and spices), 2 tsps.
You are not getting in enough veggies here, even though you are eating half a cucumber at your snack
dinner: 5-8 oz of meat, 2 cups of veggies (this week I had xtra lean hamburger twice), one day I had a whole egg and 2 whites for dinner with my salad and veggies),The days you are eating 1egg and 2 whites is NOT enough protein, you should be having at least 2-3 whole eggs if this is what you choose as your protein for your dinner portion. yesterday I had rotisserie chicken and 2 cups of veggies)

try switching your bar for breakfast and for your snack in between lunch and breakfast just have a cucumber and have your 3rd packet at night after dinner
Also I vary it, I may have 3 oz of meat and my salad with lunch and have my IP packet at night around 7:30 (I try not to eat pass 8 p.m.)I always eat my snack later than 8pm, sometimes its is as late at 11pm at night. If I get hungry between meals I will snack on veggies but that is very rarely. I agree with everyone else don't give up, you can get over this hump, your clothes are loser and remember THAT NUMBER on the scale IS ONLY A NUMBER!!!!...its about HOW YOU FEEL!!!!

Determinedat47
01-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Thank you, I've been trying really really hard. The hardest I"ve tried on any diet. Never wanted to waste my money on this so I am serious about losing the weight.

will post tomorrow what the coach suggested. Maybe she will say cut out the restrictives for a week:( that would suck or maybe add a packet more at night. Not sure.

I am a Family Nurse Practitioner and have seen this same phenomenon many times. If you bag it, and go to another plan, you are really setting yourself up for failure.

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 12:28 PM
I always eat my snack later than 8pm, sometimes its is as late at 11pm at night. If I get hungry between meals I will snack on veggies but that is very rarely. I agree with everyone else don't give up, you can get over this hump, your clothes are loser and remember THAT NUMBER on the scale IS ONLY A NUMBER!!!!...its about HOW YOU FEEL!!!!

thanks Wuv, I was thinking about you this morning, I remember you lost 1 lb and then gained 1 last week but this week lost 4. I really hope my body is just adjusting and it will show next week. When I look in the mirrow I see the weight loss, so I know something is working.

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 12:30 PM
I am a Family Nurse Practitioner and have seen this same phenomenon many times. If you bag it, and go to another plan, you are really setting yourself up for failure.

so your recommendation is to keep going for how long? This is my fourth week and I've lost 1.8 lbs in those 4 weeks while eating 8-900 calories a day. This is the least amt of food I've EVER eaten on any program.

jd447
01-13-2012, 12:58 PM
sure, here goes:

dinner: 5-8 oz of meat, 2 cups of veggies (this week I had xtra lean hamburger twice), one day I had a whole egg and 2 whites for dinner with my salad and veggies), yesterday I had rotisserie chicken and 2 cups of veggies)

Also I vary it, I may have 3 oz of meat and my salad with lunch and have my IP packet at night around 7:30 (I try not to eat pass 8 p.m.)

I think you have gotten lots of good advice here. Don't give up! I just wanted to add that someone on these boards mentioned once that they were having trouble losing and traced it back to rotisserie chicken. The store they were buying it from was injecting it with some pretty hi carb/fat solution. It might be worth a try if you cut that. I know that sometimes it seems my body has some strange reactions to different prepared foods.
Good luck! :hug:

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 01:06 PM
hmmmm really? I eat rotisserie maybe once a week or every other week, I like the Costco ones the best and I peel every piece of skin off too.

I'm confused now lol. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually having a bit of rotisserie for lunch now with my salad

purple sky
01-13-2012, 01:11 PM
I think you have gotten lots of good advice here. Don't give up! I just wanted to add that someone on these boards mentioned once that they were having trouble losing and traced it back to rotisserie chicken. The store they were buying it from was injecting it with some pretty hi carb/fat solution. It might be worth a try if you cut that. I know that sometimes it seems my body has some strange reactions to different prepared foods.
Good luck! :hug:

Oh, the plumping.

grassfedbeef
01-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Stick with it. I will tell you that I limit myself to 1 or 2 restricted foods a week. I think that has really helped me. Because I like chocolate, I usually have a chocolate premade drink as my nighttime snack and then helps with my need to have chocolate. Also, I feel like my weight loss might be slowing down so I am trying to cut down my protein a little. I have always made sure I have every bit of my 8 ounces and I am trying to cut it down to 6-7 right now and see if that helps.

Good luck!

Determinedat47
01-13-2012, 01:18 PM
hmmmm really? I eat rotisserie maybe once a week or every other week, I like the Costco ones the best and I peel every piece of skin off too.

I'm confused now lol. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually having a bit of rotisserie for lunch now with my salad

Continue with the phase one sheet EXACTLY as it reads and your plateau will pass soon. If you are following it exactly, not excersising, getting in your water with no cheats, you will start picking up bigger losses very soon. It is physiology- your body cannot hold onto the weight forever with that low of caloric intake. I would prepare my own meat 90% of the time if possible. Another quick time saving option is the turkey lunch meats that have the nutrition info on the package- of course you want no carbs and no fructose or glucose listed in the ingredients. Hang in there.

Paint Lady
01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Another thing you mentioned that might be the culprit is the red bell peppers. They are higher in carbs than the green ones. IF you are eating those everyday... Also, cucumber doesn't have much nutritional value. You may need to add a better variety of vegetables, cut out the rotiss chicken, and switch your meals and snacks around a little bit. Don't give up without trying some different things first. If you give up without being willing to do a little extra work, no diet will ever get you past that stall weight.

Paint Lady
01-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks Navy but I feel if I eat any less on this diet I will faint. I already feel lethargic on the little I"m eating now.
The days I eat the boiled egg I eat less meat (4-5 oz).
I haven't talked to my coach yet, will address it tomorrow. And I'm hoping you're right and the woosh fairy will make me lose tomorrow lol. I doubt it though.
And when I say 2 cups of salad I mean romaine and more cucumbers, red peppers on my salad. I also have with my bar in the p.m. mixed veggies. I don't have the C problem so I know I"m getting enough fibre. I'm also taking a fibre supplement every day my coach recommended.

sigh......

Just want a little clarification here: Do you have veggies 4 times a day? You say you have 1/2 a cuke for a snack, then 2 cups cukes and red peppers for lunch with salad, then mixed veggies with your bar which you have listed as a snack, then 2 cups with your dinner? Is that correct or did you mean something else? Just trying to figure out what you are eating.

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Another thing you mentioned that might be the culprit is the red bell peppers. They are higher in carbs than the green ones. IF you are eating those everyday... Also, cucumber doesn't have much nutritional value. You may need to add a better variety of vegetables, cut out the rotiss chicken, and switch your meals and snacks around a little bit. Don't give up without trying some different things first. If you give up without being willing to do a little extra work, no diet will ever get you past that stall weight.

I only have bell peppers twice a week. I will cut out the chicken and switch around my snacks this coming week. Thanks for the suggestions.

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Stick with it. I will tell you that I limit myself to 1 or 2 restricted foods a week. I think that has really helped me. Because I like chocolate, I usually have a chocolate premade drink as my nighttime snack and then helps with my need to have chocolate. Also, I feel like my weight loss might be slowing down so I am trying to cut down my protein a little. I have always made sure I have every bit of my 8 ounces and I am trying to cut it down to 6-7 right now and see if that helps.

Good luck!

OMG if I eat less than 800 calories a day I might as well drop dead:dizzy:

I might try cutting back on the restrictives this week, will see what my coach suggest

sekc14
01-13-2012, 02:07 PM

You can't quit, what would you do then? We must solve this mystery!

Here's what I did when my weight loss stalled 2 weeks ago and things have improved!
1. Quit eating beef -- switched to eggs, fish, shrimp, etc. -- a healthier choice than beef anyway. Also, fish tends to satiate me more than beef.
2. Quit using skim milk in my coffee -- it has lactose which is a sugar
3. Quit bars, I sometimes ate more than one in a day. I couldn't control myself with the caramel nut so, I just don't get started.
4. Quit using so much WF syrups, limit it and I'm going to cut-out altogether when supply is gone.
5. Also, slowed down on exercise.
6. If I feel I must eat extra, I have an IP pudding rather than eating extra food protein as I used to do.

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Just want a little clarification here: Do you have veggies 4 times a day? You say you have 1/2 a cuke for a snack, then 2 cups cukes and red peppers for lunch with salad, then mixed veggies with your bar which you have listed as a snack, then 2 cups with your dinner? Is that correct or did you mean something else? Just trying to figure out what you are eating.

half a cuke for my snacks
2 cups of romaine with peppers/cukes/celery (perhaps a cup of veggies with my 2 cups of romaine in my salad)
then my bar in the p.m with another cup of mixed veggies, kholarabi and cauliflower or whatever I buy that week.
then supper I have 2 cups of steamed veggies, mixed with brocoli/cauliflower or sometimes asparagus and my meat.
I only have salad for lunch with romaine.

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 02:12 PM
You can't quit now! You must solve this mystery! Here's what I did when my weight loss stalled. Quit eating beef -- switched to eggs, fish, shrimp, etc. -- a healthier choice than beef anyway. Also, fish tends to satiate me more than beef. I quit using skim milk in my coffee. I decided, you know, I'd rather have wine and chocolate than a little bit of milk in my coffee every day and I can't have that until maintenance so, no more skim milk and the coffee still tastes good. Quit buying the bars, I sometimes ate more than one in a day. I couldn't control myself with the caramel nut so, I just don't get started. Also, slowed down on exercise.

I know, I don't want to quit at all!! but very hard to keep motivated when I don't see results.

This week I had xtra lean ground beef twice for supper, cooked with cabbabe and mushrooms and some spices. I don't really like shrimp. Got sick in Vegas last year on shrimp and scared I'm allergic to it. But I eat fish maybe once a week, Basa instead of Salmon. I don't use any milk as I don't drink coffee. Only green tea once a day, sometimes twice. Maybe I"ll try not having the bars this week. :?:

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 02:14 PM
I have a question for guys, could I be drinking too much water perhaps?? lol

I drink 10-12 cups, sometimes 14

LadyDi2010
01-13-2012, 02:19 PM
i stalled for 3 weeks, and my coach and i figured out that when i am at work (I'm a ICU nurse) i burn tons more calories and need to bump up to 4 packets on those day. On my 3rd week of no weight loss i bawled in my coaches office because i felt awful, REALLY awful and i could totally cope with awful if i was loosing weight but when i didn't, tears!

Since then, i eat when I'm hungry at work, either extra veggies or a 4th packet and haven't had a too much of a problem since. I feel better and I am am now almost at goal.

Please don't give up, your frustrated and angry. Never make a decision when you are either of those. Think it through. :)
:hugs:

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 02:29 PM
i stalled for 3 weeks, and my coach and i figured out that when i am at work (I'm a ICU nurse) i burn tons more calories and need to bump up to 4 packets on those day. On my 3rd week of no weight loss i bawled in my coaches office because i felt awful, REALLY awful and i could totally cope with awful if i was loosing weight but when i didn't, tears!

Since then, i eat when I'm hungry at work, either extra veggies or a 4th packet and haven't had a too much of a problem since. I feel better and I am am now almost at goal.

Please don't give up, your frustrated and angry. Never make a decision when you are either of those. Think it through. :)
:hugs:

well I cried this morning, after all this hard work I was totally devastated. My poor boyfriend did not know what to say either.
I found this week I was extremely hungry and fatigued. I wondered if I wasn't eating enough because I went to bed hungry alot. Guess I will wait and see what the coach says tomorrow. I have an office job though so don't really burn alot of calories during the day.

LadyDi2010
01-13-2012, 02:44 PM
well I cried this morning, after all this hard work I was totally devastated. My poor boyfriend did not know what to say either.
I found this week I was extremely hungry and fatigued. I wondered if I wasn't eating enough because I went to bed hungry alot. Guess I will wait and see what the coach says tomorrow. I have an office job though so don't really burn alot of calories during the day.

haha Men, they can't handle tears! My husband was just silent, and gave me a hug but my coach is a man... and he was stumbling over words at first to reassure me. which made me laugh and then we got down to the problem. Its okay to cry :) tomorrow see what your body fat % is, maybe your water weight is still up from hormones but your % body fat is down. You got this ;) we will figure out whats up and what changes need to be made.

Determinedat47
01-13-2012, 02:49 PM
half a cuke for my snacks
2 cups of romaine with peppers/cukes/celery (perhaps a cup of veggies with my 2 cups of romaine in my salad)
then my bar in the p.m with another cup of mixed veggies, kholarabi and cauliflower or whatever I buy that week.
then supper I have 2 cups of steamed veggies, mixed with brocoli/cauliflower or sometimes asparagus and my meat.
I only have salad for lunch with romaine.

On phase 1 I ate beef probably 5 out of 7 days a week, ate red bell peppers as often and still had great losses. I did not however, eat any restricted packets, or any packets above 9 grams of carbs. And I had and continue to have my snack between 8 & 9 PM every night. I find the weeks that I drink the most water- a gallon a day, I have the best losses.

Determinedat47
01-13-2012, 02:50 PM

Also, when you are extremely hungry, you should have an egg. You should not let yourself get extremely hungry.

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 02:57 PM
haha Men, they can't handle tears! My husband was just silent, and gave me a hug but my coach is a man... and he was stumbling over words at first to reassure me. which made me laugh and then we got down to the problem. Its okay to cry :) tomorrow see what your body fat % is, maybe your water weight is still up from hormones but your % body fat is down. You got this ;) we will figure out whats up and what changes need to be made.

haha that's funny, as long as they're supportive in the end is all that matters, he's a good guy my boyfriend:)

my coach does not do the body fat thing, she only weighs and measures once a month:?:

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Also, when you are extremely hungry, you should have an egg. You should not let yourself get extremely hungry.

was thinking that I should but didn't want to risk not losing
I will see if my coach wants me to up my protein or just have another packet this week
thank you

sekc14
01-13-2012, 02:59 PM

I was hungry when I was stalled. I think I was getting kicked out of ketosis because of the extra skim milk, WF syrups, and tenderloin beef I was having. Someone posted on 3FC that certain spices have carbs or it could be your artificial sweetener. Sleep helps weight loss, get lots of sleep! Also, google "how much water to drink". I read an article that gave amounts based on your body weight. It also said not to drink too much at one time as it will overload your kidneys. Drink small amounts of water throughout the day as it is cleanses your kidneys, liver, etc of ketones and the impurities produced from using up fat reserves.

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 03:02 PM
I was hungry when I was stalled. I think I was getting kicked out of ketosis because of the extra skim milk, WF syrups, and tenderloin beef I was having. Someone posted on 3FC that certain spices have carbs or it could be your artificial sweetener. Sleep helps weight loss, get lots of sleep! Also, google "how much water to drink". I read an article that gave amounts based on your body weight. It also said not to drink too much at one time as it will overload your kidneys. Drink small amounts of water throughout the day as it is cleanses your kidneys, liver, etc of ketones and the impurities produced from using up fat reserves.

OMG is it really that complicated?:D
sigh
I don't use milk or WF syrups (I hate those), I've gone the last 7 weeks without dessert after dinner, meaning I would rather not have anything sweet than eat the WF syrups lol.
I check my spices and they do not have carbs in them. I also try to space out my water througout the day.....

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:this is how I feel

BACKDROPsilhouette
01-13-2012, 03:08 PM
I don't think you should worry about the calories, because this isn't a calorie counting diet. Maybe you are feeling lethargic because you were kicked out of ketosis by something? Just stick with it, and as I was told by others, keep a positive mentality. If you don't believe in yourself and have a defeatist attitude, or just don't think it's going to work for you, it's not going to happen. But you mentioned that your clothes were looser, so I say keep going and don't pay attention to the scale. The scale does not tell you what percentage of your body is fat or lean muscle. It's fat loss you want, not weight loss.

BACKDROPsilhouette
01-13-2012, 03:09 PM
And I hope too much water isn't an issue, because I drink 3 liters most days.

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't think you should worry about the calories, because this isn't a calorie counting diet. Maybe you are feeling lethargic because you were kicked out of ketosis by something? Just stick with it, and as I was told by others, keep a positive mentality. If you don't believe in yourself and have a defeatist attitude, or just don't think it's going to work for you, it's not going to happen. But you mentioned that your clothes were looser, so I say keep going and don't pay attention to the scale. The scale does not tell you what percentage of your body is fat or lean muscle. It's fat loss you want, not weight loss.

not sure what kicked me out of ketosis if it's that. Funny I felt like I was in Ketosis all week last week and did not lose so not sure I can go by that:mad:

Linden
01-13-2012, 03:50 PM
I have a question for guys, could I be drinking too much water perhaps?? lol

I drink 10-12 cups, sometimes 14

Water's good. But I'd stick with, at your weight AND on the IP program, at around 100 ounces. Basically you always need 1/2 ounce for every pound of body weight. That varies if you're exercising/sweating (and of course you aren't :)) or live in a high humidity tropical zone, like Hawai'i, which you obviously aren't, etc. Also, you can only absorb about 24 ounces of water at one time so try to space out what you're drinking -- although more in the early morning, when you get up and are somewhat dehydrated, is better than any other time. But I don't mean much more than 24 ounces. Hope this helps. And good for you for drinking lot of water. That will really pay off in better hydrated skin, among other things.

Edit: I hope you're due for measuring tomorrow. AND I hope, and think you might be pleasantly, gratefully surprised at the number of inches you've lost because you HAVE stuck to the program. If tomorrow isn't a normal measure day, ASK FOR IT.

Linden
01-13-2012, 03:59 PM

3 litres may even be a little light. Could you look at the post I sent to Trinique?

Determinedat47
01-13-2012, 04:42 PM

3 liters is not a problem unless you are elderly and have congestive heart failure. Drink it all in one gulp or throughout the day, it matters not.

Paint Lady
01-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Okay, so breakfast is a shake, then you have 1/2 cucumber and a boiled egg for a snack, then you have a shake and 2 cups of veggies with salad, then you have a bar and 1 cup of veggies, then for supper 5-8 oz meat with 2 cups veggies. So, you are having a restricted which is higher in carbs and you are having an egg which is giving you more fat and you are having 2 extra cups of veggies per day than allowed on protocol.

People will say that a restricted shouldn't hurt your losses, an egg won't hurt your losses, a cucumber won't hurt your losses and an extra cup of veggies won't hurt your losses. That doesn't mean you can have all of those extra things everyday. No wonder you aren't losing like you should. Please look at your protocol sheet. You need to follow that very closely. Yes, sometimes you will be hungry. But, you aren't exercising and have a desk job. You should be able to get by with what is on the protocol. The first week is the only week you are allowed to have an extra packet to help you stave off hunger to get into ketosis. You are eating too much on a daily basis. It's hard to accept because you are still hungry, I do realize that. But, that's probably because you aren't in ketosis anymore. Vegetables do have carbs. You are allowed 4 cups a day and also get carbs in the packets and especially in the restricted packets.

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Water's good. But I'd stick with, at your weight AND on the IP program, at around 100 ounces. Basically you always need 1/2 ounce for every pound of body weight. That varies if you're exercising/sweating (and of course you aren't :)) or live in a high humidity tropical zone, like Hawai'i, which you obviously aren't, etc. Also, you can only absorb about 24 ounces of water at one time so try to space out what you're drinking -- although more in the early morning, when you get up and are somewhat dehydrated, is better than any other time. But I don't mean much more than 24 ounces. Hope this helps. And good for you for drinking lot of water. That will really pay off in better hydrated skin, among other things.

Edit: I hope you're due for measuring tomorrow. AND I hope, and think you might be pleasantly, gratefully surprised at the number of inches you've lost because you HAVE stuck to the program. If tomorrow isn't a normal measure day, ASK FOR IT.

thanks Linden, I was thinking I will ask her to measure me, she only measures once a month, I'm usually OK with that as you see more of a difference than measuring weekly.

maybe my scale is completely wrong and when I go WI tomorrow I would of lost 4 lbs:Dwishful thinking

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Okay, so breakfast is a shake, then you have 1/2 cucumber and a boiled egg for a snack, then you have a shake and 2 cups of veggies with salad, then you have a bar and 1 cup of veggies, then for supper 5-8 oz meat with 2 cups veggies. So, you are having a restricted which is higher in carbs and you are having an egg which is giving you more fat and you are having 2 extra cups of veggies per day than allowed on protocol.

People will say that a restricted shouldn't hurt your losses, an egg won't hurt your losses, a cucumber won't hurt your losses and an extra cup of veggies won't hurt your losses. That doesn't mean you can have all of those extra things everyday. No wonder you aren't losing like you should. Please look at your protocol sheet. You need to follow that very closely. Yes, sometimes you will be hungry. But, you aren't exercising and have a desk job. You should be able to get by with what is on the protocol. The first week is the only week you are allowed to have an extra packet to help you stave off hunger to get into ketosis. You are eating too much on a daily basis. It's hard to accept because you are still hungry, I do realize that. But, that's probably because you aren't in ketosis anymore. Vegetables do have carbs. You are allowed 4 cups a day and also get carbs in the packets and especially in the restricted packets.

nope, when I have a cup of veggies in the p.m I only have one cup in the evening, I also stay away from the higher carb veggies such as brussel sprouts.
if I"m eating too much on this diet then there is no way I'm going to give it another month because this diet is NOT for me if that's the case. I consume no more than 8-900 calories a day, no more than 25-35 grams of carbs a day (and I count my veggies too) and if I'm eating that little and not losing weight then IP is not for me. It's that simple. Thanks for your suggestions but I am not over eating I can guarantee you that.
Not only that aren't the restrictives allowed in the first phase now?
So you suggest I eat less, which will make me hungrier thus more prone to cheating and I will lose weight?

Perhaps IP is not for everyone.
I will see what my coach has to say this week and get back to you guys.

BACKDROPsilhouette
01-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Linden, I looked at that post and what I drink is closer to 4.5 liters. I thought the bottle I was drinking from was only 1 liter, but it's 1.5 so there's that. It's a lot more than I'm used to drinking anyway xD

Determinedat47; Well I'm nowhere near elderly so I'm sure I'll be fine. Maybe my bladder feels like it's going to burst sometimes, but it's okay. Drinking a lot of water makes me feel great.

Trinique; Good luck with your measuring and I hope you start to see results closer to the ones you would like!

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Linden, I looked at that post and what I drink is closer to 4.5 liters. I thought the bottle I was drinking from was only 1 liter, but it's 1.5 so there's that. It's a lot more than I'm used to drinking anyway xD

Determinedat47; Well I'm nowhere near elderly so I'm sure I'll be fine. Maybe my bladder feels like it's going to burst sometimes, but it's okay. Drinking a lot of water makes me feel great.

Trinique; Good luck with your measuring and I hope you start to see results closer to the ones you would like!

thank you, like I said, I'm giving it one more week, if I don't lose next week I won't be back to waste my money. Good luck to you too

Junetwin11
01-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Don't give up. :)

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 06:21 PM
I don't want to June, I went in this with full intentions of sticking with it, especially since the holidays are over now, I was even more determined.

we'll see how it goes after my WI tomorrow and after I talk to my coach.

Paint Lady
01-13-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm sorry if I am not undertanding you. I am just going by what you say. Everytime someone has a suggestion based on what you have written that you eat, You then say but if I do "A", then I don't do "B". I'm sorry if I don't have a full grasp of what you are eating. Perhaps it is best for you to speak with your coach so that they can review your food journal and get the whole picture as to what you are eating everyday. If you truly are following the plan as it is written, then you may just be a slow loser. Those do exist!

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm sorry if I am not undertanding you. I am just going by what you say. Everytime someone has a suggestion based on what you have written that you eat, You then say but if I do "A", then I don't do "B". I'm sorry if I don't have a full grasp of what you are eating. Perhaps it is best for you to speak with your coach so that they can review your food journal and get the whole picture as to what you are eating everyday. If you truly are following the plan as it is written, then you may just be a slow loser. Those do exist!

thanks I understand, communicating is hard on here at times, not enough time to type every thing I want to.
anyhow I've always been a slow loser so that's not new to me, but I thought the low carb way would shake things up for me, not sure now.
have a great weekend everyone and thanks so much for your suggestions.:hug:

Paint Lady
01-13-2012, 06:45 PM
Hey, no worries here. You know what you have to consider: Low carb has been working for you. Look at how far you've come in this short time. I truly think if you mix up some of your meals, you will start losing again. You are not the only one who has stalled and even the fastest losers have gained some weeks without cheating either. One more thing: And it probably isn't what is messing with you, but you need to think about it.... A whole egg has 6 carbs and 4 protein. This diet is high protein, low carb. Is an egg high protein, low carb? If you must eat a boiled egg, just eat the whites of 2 eggs instead of an entire one. And, eating the veggies with your restricted puts you at potentially eating 30 carbs in one sitting, depending on the vegetable. (I got the number 30 by adding carbs from the peanut butter chocolate bar and carbs of 1 cup of okra, that's what I had in bag form here, lol!) You really don't want to make a habit of that. Best of luck to you! I'm sure your coach will have some ideas for you to try too!

sekc14
01-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Hey, no worries here. You know what you have to consider: Low carb has been working for you. Look at how far you've come in this short time. I truly think if you mix up some of your meals, you will start losing again. You are not the only one who has stalled and even the fastest losers have gained some weeks without cheating either. One more thing: And it probably isn't what is messing with you, but you need to think about it.... A whole egg has 6 carbs and 4 protein. This diet is high protein, low carb. Is an egg high protein, low carb? If you must eat a boiled egg, just eat the whites of 2 eggs instead of an entire one. And, eating the veggies with your restricted puts you at potentially eating 30 carbs in one sitting, depending on the vegetable. (I got the number 30 by adding carbs from the peanut butter chocolate bar and carbs of 1 cup of okra, that's what I had in bag form here, lol!) You really don't want to make a habit of that. Best of luck to you! I'm sure your coach will have some ideas for you to try too!
Thanks, Paintlady, I learned a lot from reading all your posts on this. Didn't know eggs had so many carbs. But, the yolk of an egg has every vitamin and mineral you require with the exception of Vitamin C. I have chickens that I feed organic with extra omega 3. They taste so much better than store bought, even the organic store bought. I have 2 eggs on salad for dinner some times. But, I'm going to check the carb count I'm getting from all my foods. Also, I'm no longer using restricted IP.

Paint Lady
01-13-2012, 07:27 PM
I have chickens too, RIR's, your basic generic layer, lol! I wanted to branch out and get some different ones this spring. I find my eggs taste a lot better than store bought as well, but wouldn't even know how to find out their nutritional value. What I gave for the eggs came from IP information pack that I got when I started phase 3. Your basic large egg has 6 carbs, 4 protein, 4 fat and 70 calories. 2 egg whites of large eggs have 1.5 carbs, 9 protein, 0 fat and 45 calories. Do you see why they are a better choice for this diet? Look how much protein vs. carbs and zero fat.

sekc14
01-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Any time you want nutritional value of a food, you can google it. I'm glad I looked it up because the values IP gave were incorrect.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/111/2
The nutritional data is listed toward the bottom. The egg yolk is packed with everything a chicken needs to start life so, it's packed with nutrients. The egg white doesn't have much except protein.
1 large whole egg
calories 71
total fat 5
TTl Carbs 0
Protein 6g

1 large egg white
calories 16
total fat 0
TTl Carbs 0
Protein 4g

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Ok what kind of eggs are you using Paint Lady? lol
My cartoon says one egg is 70 cals, 1 gram of carb, 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of fat.
I also ran that by my coach (eating an extra egg a day) and she said it was fine. Then again, I was losing those weeks, now that I"ve stalled she might say not to.

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 08:18 PM
also I must point out that I"ve had head and stomach pains on this diet, I HAVE to take a supplement if I want to have a BM and on top of it I often feel hungry.

hmmmm if I have to go through this plus spend 100 dollars each week and NOT lose weight there is another reason for me to do something else.

I was thinking of SB or Atkins

sorry I'm just a bit cynical at the moment

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Any time you want nutritional value of a food, you can google it. I'm glad I looked it up because the values IP gave were incorrect.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/111/2
The nutritional data is listed toward the bottom. The egg yolk is packed with everything a chicken needs to start life so, it's packed with nutrients. The egg white doesn't have much except protein.
1 large whole egg
calories 71
total fat 5
TTl Carbs 0
Protein 6g

1 large egg white
calories 16
total fat 0
TTl Carbs 0
Protein 4g

that sight shows a large egg has zero carbs:D

sekc14
01-13-2012, 08:39 PM
If you look in the breakdown listed on the bottom half of the page, you'll see that calories from carbs is 1.6. It also says the analysis was done by the USDA. The discrepancy is that below a certain amount they round down. The information you found chose to round up. It's one of those 0 pts. WW thangs were you can eat 0s all day long but it adds up to something if you eat in large enough quantity. Same with some of the artificial sweeteners. That's why WF products are not truly 0s

sekc14
01-13-2012, 09:11 PM
I often feel hungry. hmmmm if I have to go through this plus spend 100 dollars each week and NOT lose weight there is another reason for me to do something else. I was thinking of SB or Atkins

I think we should do a survey to find out how many on IP feel hunger during the day and to what degree? I must admit I have hunger pain at times. But, I also was starting to believe, even before IP, that hunger pangs many times are psychological for me. I think some people have pain associated with hunger and others don't. Plus, if I'm feeling hunger pain and there's a great enough distraction, the hunger pangs go away.

Atkins diet is basically the same concept as IP but you get a lot of unhealthy fats in the foods that you eat. Although, some of the "unhealthy" fats have been found to repair kidney damage from diabetes. So, who knows? Many people are successful on Atkins. I tried it twice but couldn't do it.

In August I was so desparate to lose weight that I went on a fruit and veggy fast. I lost 6 lbs in 7 days but, I couldn't stay on it. I went vegetarian and began gaining the weight back. I realize now that I was eating too much fruit and that was preventing me from losing. I am soooooo glad I found IP. I don't care if I have hunger pangs, I'll have them anyway. Somehow though, without the carbs, I have a little more will power against the wrong foods. I've questioned to what degree I should consume carbs when I go into maintenance. I'm out-of-control when carbs are in my life. I couldn't even contain myself with caramel nut bars. So, I may have just discovered that I need a whole new way of dealing with food, that is, not eating refined carbs at all and limiting the low glycemic carbs.

DanafromAustin
01-13-2012, 10:54 PM
WOW my head is swimming with all of the post on this tread of try this, but not that and so on and so on. It sounds like you are doing everything right, but it also sounds like you could use another IP packet per day, or at least spread out your IP packets more so you don't get so hungry. I always eat my snack right before bedtime so I don't wake up starving in the morning. If your body goes into starvation mode then it will hold on to weight. However on this diet it can only hold on so long before it has to give. It's just about impossible not to loose on this plan. There just isn't enough calories to maintain.

Truthfully it just sounds like you are having a good old fashioned plateau because you mentioned that you have never weighed less then what you are now. It happened to my daughter too trying to get past a number on the scale that she had been at for awhile before the numbers on the scale started increasing (which brought her to IP). She plateaued for at least three weeks, but the coach told her to hang on and sure enough the following week the scale started to move again.

BTW we eat Costco BBQ here a lot too with all of the skin removed. I don't think that is your problem. ;)

Mom3LoveBugs
01-13-2012, 11:37 PM
it sounds like you have already given up and have your head else where to me....

Paint Lady
01-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Lol, I wonder how many IPers went through phase 3 and received the same info I did. Also stating that 2 egg whites have 1.5 carbs.

Oh well, I don't think it really matters anyway at this point. I think you have decided to do something else and it won't matter what any of us say here. Best of luck to you! I hope you do eventually meet your goal!

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 11:54 PM
WOW my head is swimming with all of the post on this tread of try this, but not that and so on and so on. It sounds like you are doing everything right, but it also sounds like you could use another IP packet per day, or at least spread out your IP packets more so you don't get so hungry. I always eat my snack right before bedtime so I don't wake up starving in the morning. If your body goes into starvation mode then it will hold on to weight. However on this diet it can only hold on so long before it has to give. It's just about impossible not to loose on this plan. There just isn't enough calories to maintain.

Truthfully it just sounds like you are having a good old fashioned plateau because you mentioned that you have never weighed less then what you are now. It happened to my daughter too trying to get past a number on the scale that she had been at for awhile before the numbers on the scale started increasing (which brought her to IP). She plateaued for at least three weeks, but the coach told her to hang on and sure enough the following week the scale started to move again.

BTW we eat Costco BBQ here a lot too with all of the skin removed. I don't think that is your problem. ;)

thanks Dana, very sound advice, I really appreciate it. LIke I said I will give it another week and go from there. I don't want to waste my money but I also don't want to give up easily either.

Trinique125
01-13-2012, 11:55 PM
it sounds like you have already given up and have your head else where to me....

not true, still want to do this but don't want to waste my money either. I'm willing to give it another week maybe even two.

Mom3LoveBugs
01-14-2012, 12:10 AM
not true, still want to do this but don't want to waste my money either. I'm willing to give it another week maybe even two.

from what I have read and witnessed around here the average weight loss is around 2-3 lbs a week so you are right on par with that. you also need to keep in mind that you are starting out a smaller weight then a lot of people and therefore, your losses will reflect that.

kiki4me
01-14-2012, 12:49 AM
Don't give up - just take it one day at a time and know you are doing it for good health...

DanafromAustin
01-14-2012, 12:59 AM
thanks Dana, very sound advice, I really appreciate it. LIke I said I will give it another week and go from there. I don't want to waste my money but I also don't want to give up easily either.
Good luck tomorrow Trinique. I have a feeling you are about to turn the corner once I looked at your actual weigh in numbers.

124chicksinger
01-14-2012, 05:01 AM
...sounds from the WORDS in your posts that you are hungry, hungry, hungry, consistently and repetitively, and that your weight stalled on so little food - 800/900 calories daily - could be that you are starving yourself, and, you don't weigh so much to begin with so have less to lose (I understand you are 5 ft. tall and want to be thinner).

No offense meant to anyone else on this plan--but how many calories does one consume at 300 pounds? If it is 800/900 daily, I don't know how you can stick with it, unless you're losing mass amounts of weight weekly which keeps you motivated to stick with it no matter what (hunger, feeling unwell, hair loss).

Not only would I speak with my consultant/coach, I'd take the plan to my doctor for a looksee to make sure I wasn't screwing up my metabolism altogether. For your size and your complaints, it makes sense to get your doctor's opinion. While I can understand your motivation that being hungry and/or "miserable" (my word, not yours) for the short run while getting quick, speedy, faster than fast results in getting the weight off....you're obviously having issues with sticking to it and your unrelenting hunger is telling you something.

Go see your doctor.

P.S. A red pepper is a culprit? Maybe chocolate cake can be a weight loss sabatour, but not a red pepper.

I think at your size/weight, IP is not the diet for you. My opinion. Sorry if it is unpopular on this thread. It is a drastic program designed for maximum weight loss. It doesn't seem that you particularly "fit" that need.

sekc14
01-14-2012, 08:04 AM
. I think at your size/weight, IP is not the diet for you. My opinion. Sorry if it is unpopular on this thread. It is a drastic program designed for maximum weight loss. It doesn't seem that you particularly "fit" that need.

I agree with you, 124Chick. If someone has only a few pounds to lose and chooses to go this route, then more power but, it's probably overkill (my opinion). My IP location has lots of "skinny" customers with just a few pounds to lose. I talked with one who had met her goal in 5-6 weeks losing 21 lbs! I'm like, "are you kidding?!" You'd take this route when you're not even overweight? (referring to weight chart meaning of overweight) But, word is getting around NoVA that IP is quick weight loss and people here are hurry, hurry, results driven. I must admit, I fit right in with the "in a hurry and wanting results quick" crowd! However, I've given consideration to whether I want to transition off IP at a reasonable weight like, 155 and then take a slower approach that includes lots of exercise and balanced carb meals.
For now, I'm extremely happy with IP and my weight loss, because I was frustrated losing weight slowly. I lost 34 lbs prior to joining IP but, that took 2 years and failure after failure, up and down on the scale. Ugh!

Trinique125
01-14-2012, 09:59 AM
I chose this route because I've NEVER done low carb before and it was a controlled way of losing weight for me which I like. I did WW for almost 10 long yearsssssss and only reached 140 ONCE, a very long time ago when I first started, I was originally 180 or so.

WW was not working for me to get rid of the last 20 lbs so I wanted to try something different. I admit it's not what I consider a healthy approach to losing weight, I was very skeptical at first, my boyfriends sister lost a huge amt of amt in a very short space of time so I thougth I would try it.

Funny thing is though, when she quit IP without phasing off she gained that weight back sooooooo fast it was astonishing. I still cannot believe how fast she went from being slim to becoming obese again.

I'm not one for quick weight loss, in fact if I lose a lb a week I''m very happy with that because I know if it comes off slowly it will be harder to gain it back. I intend to phase off properly too and learn the healthy way to keep this weight off forever.

Trinique125
01-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Good luck tomorrow Trinique. I have a feeling you are about to turn the corner once I looked at your actual weigh in numbers.

thanks Dana, will post my WI when I get back, going soon but not anxious to go:p

Trinique125
01-14-2012, 10:02 AM
from what I have read and witnessed around here the average weight loss is around 2-3 lbs a week so you are right on par with that. you also need to keep in mind that you are starting out a smaller weight then a lot of people and therefore, your losses will reflect that.

I totally get that. I understand it will take me longer to lose, but even a lb or two every couple of weeks isn't much to ask for:?:

I lost almost 8 my first week which gives me that average.

Trinique125
01-14-2012, 10:05 AM
I agree with you, 124Chick. If someone has only a few pounds to lose and chooses to go this route, then more power but, it's probably overkill (my opinion). My IP location has lots of "skinny" customers with just a few pounds to lose. I talked with one who had met her goal in 5-6 weeks losing 21 lbs! I'm like, "are you kidding?!" You'd take this route when you're not even overweight? (referring to weight chart meaning of overweight) But, word is getting around NoVA that IP is quick weight loss and people here are hurry, hurry, results driven. I must admit, I fit right in with the "in a hurry and wanting results quick" crowd! However, I've given consideration to whether I want to transition off IP at a reasonable weight like, 155 and then take a slower approach that includes lots of exercise and balanced carb meals.
For now, I'm extremely happy with IP and my weight loss, because I was frustrated losing weight slowly. I lost 34 lbs prior to joining IP but, that took 2 years and failure after failure, up and down on the scale. Ugh!

I can't speak for others but I took this route because others weren't working for me to get rid of the last 20 lbs that I want so desperately to shed. Call them vanity lbs if you wish but they make me misererable almost daily, I wanted to change that feeling. I want when I go to a sunny location I'm not embarassed to wear sleeveless or put on a bathing suit without a cover up. I want to feel comfortable in my own skin which I'm sure many can relate to here.

DanafromAustin
01-14-2012, 10:19 AM
...sounds from the WORDS in your posts that you are hungry, hungry, hungry, consistently and repetitively, and that your weight stalled on so little food - 800/900 calories daily - could be that you are starving yourself, and, you don't weigh so much to begin with so have less to lose (I understand you are 5 ft. tall and want to be thinner).

No offense meant to anyone else on this plan--but how many calories does one consume at 300 pounds? If it is 800/900 daily, I don't know how you can stick with it, unless you're losing mass amounts of weight weekly which keeps you motivated to stick with it no matter what (hunger, feeling unwell, hair loss).

Not only would I speak with my consultant/coach, I'd take the plan to my doctor for a looksee to make sure I wasn't screwing up my metabolism altogether. For your size and your complaints, it makes sense to get your doctor's opinion. While I can understand your motivation that being hungry and/or "miserable" (my word, not yours) for the short run while getting quick, speedy, faster than fast results in getting the weight off....you're obviously having issues with sticking to it and your unrelenting hunger is telling you something.

Go see your doctor.

P.S. A red pepper is a culprit? Maybe chocolate cake can be a weight loss sabatour, but not a red pepper.

I think at your size/weight, IP is not the diet for you. My opinion. Sorry if it is unpopular on this thread. It is a drastic program designed for maximum weight loss. It doesn't seem that you particularly "fit" that need.

Sorry, but I need to disagree with you. I will use my daughter as an example. At under 5 feet tall she weighed before starting IP a 130 pounds. Her goal was to get down to 100 pounds which according to her doctor and weight charts was her ideal weight as she is very small framed. She has now been on IP for 3 1/2 months and has lost 25 pounds. She also hit a stall in her weight for over 3 weeks when she hit 110 pounds as she had been that weight for awhile before gaining weight. The scale finally started to move again for her and she is now within 5 pounds of her goal. She still lives at home (early 20's) so I can tell she feels great, only hungry just before meal time, and has energy to spare. And the best part (from a mom's standpoint) is watching her eat healthy meals again as in lots of vegetables along with her protein. She lived away at college for awhile and I know the kind of junk she was eating there. In addition her BMI before starting was 33 and now is in the 18 percent. A very healthy number for someone her age.

My daughter along with myself has tried lots of diets (WW, Atkins, South Beach, low glycemic, etc.) and this has been the only diet that she has successfully lost weight on. In fact before starting IP I was about to suggest to her to go to our family doctor to see if there was some type of metabolic issue going on with her as no diet, no matter how much she followed it, would allow her to loose more than 4 or 5 pounds. She is now beyond thrilled to have found a healthy way of eating to get down to a healthy weight for her.

BTW I started out at 265, and once I hit ketosis the hunger did go away. I haven't been hungry except right before it's time to eat a meal (I spread my protein meals out about every 4 hours). And it was my doctor who recommend this plan to me. She herself lost weight on it and recommends it to her patients who need to loose.

Bailey6
01-14-2012, 10:58 AM
I've been following this thread since yesterday. I feel I need to defend those that are like me that want to lose the extra 10-20 lbs that seem impossible at times to lose. I took this approach because I want to lose weight for my honeymoon and my sisters' wedding in May. I've been going to the gym and have been trying to eat a healthy diet months prior to starting IP. I would do good for a few days and then fall off the wagon. I leave next week so I wanted to do this for quick results also. I feel this plan works for me because it's so strict. I want to get down to my high school weight, so I know I'm not going under a weight my body can't handle. Plus, I have a twin sister who is also the weight I am trying to get down to and she maintains it very well. I have also done the whole WW diet and didn't really work for me. IP does.

I believe if you phase off the right way and continue to stay active and eat healthy, you should be able to keep the weight off. My best friend did this diet a year ago and did great. But once she got back to real life she gained it all back. BUT, she was eating whatever she wanted and whenever she wanted!! My mom also did the IP diet and also had great results and still does! She makes sure to get her big balanced meal in every morning and has even lost weight once she phased off. I've never seen her this happy with her weight. :)

Trinique125
01-14-2012, 01:06 PM
so I'm back from my WI and the scale showed I lost 1.4 lbs. My coach was surprised I lost this little and has put me on booth camp for the week to shake things up (no restrictives or restrictive veggies this week) or she suggested I do phase II which allows 8 more oz of meat at lunch!
I opted to stay away from the restrictives.
I'll give it another shot, wish me luck folks and thanks again for all the suggestions. This thread went beyond what I expected.
OH and I lost 2 inches.

purple sky
01-14-2012, 01:36 PM
thanks Dana, will post my WI when I get back, going soon but not anxious to go:p

Before I saw the last post I was about to say, this is a good sign. Don't ask me why.

One thing I have done since coming on here is spending a lot of time looking at the weight loss patterns and numbers for people close in height to me with a comparable amt of weight to lose. What I saw was that it was consistently slower than others with much less weight loss per weigh in. It gave me a ballpark for how long I might be on this. I am on this with DH who has quite a bit more weight to lose and is just dropping pounds by the second (slight exageration) We eat the same things for dinner. I am often hungry. He is not.

This diet was originally created for athletes to get back in tip top shape for the season. I don't think they had large amts of weight or inches to lose.

I just think everyone is different. I am someone who used to be low 100's for a long time. I was not underweight or unhealthy. It was just what I was able to do in my 20's. But, those days are long gone. This is the first diet where I have had some faith I could maybe get down below my previous low (mine is 131) but already my shirts are looser. Something resembling a shape is returning and I am just so thankful for that. Waist...I really miss ya.

I don't know how far I will go or how long I will stay on it. But, this does seem to be a lifestyle choice rather than just getting into smaller clothes this summer. I want to be healthier and have more energy and just feel like me. If I get to my current goal, I will go futher, maybe.

Congratulations Trinique125, you did it. You passed your plateau. That was no small feat.

The suggestions in here were amazing. The ladies (and gents too) on this site really know what they are talking about. This is the first diet ever that I had seen so much success and support and knowledge and RESULTS!!!. I looked around at others. Some required a shake that made me gag. Some required points which I just don't do. Math...bleh. Life is supposed to be fun. Eating is fun. And the recipe suggestions I have seen have really helped.

This is an awesome thread for when/if this happens to anyone else and it will. We are only human.

Linden
01-14-2012, 02:24 PM
I've been following this thread since yesterday. I feel I need to defend those that are like me that want to lose the extra 10-20 lbs that seem impossible at times to lose.

I don't think you have to defend anything at all. First of all, this is your choice and no singularly peculiar, busy body moralist -- who apparently knows next to nothing about the program, if not less -- shouldn't set a standard for you. Secondly, if you were sitting in Paris, and decided to do the program through Dr Chanh's office there, you would probably be the norm. :D I wish you the very best and think you've made a wise decision.

Trinique, I'm a little curious. IP boot camp used to be 4 packets a day plus all the vegetables, salads, oil, supplements, water, etc. Is that how your coach is defining it? And I also think you made a wise choice. The kind of research Bailey did might reassure you, too. Go take a look at the weight losses in the Valentine challenge and see what other's your weight are losing, minus those on their first week. And if you're really curious, go back and look at the 8 weeks of the New Years' Challenge. VERY revealing. Cheers to both of you. :hug:

sekc14
01-14-2012, 02:41 PM
I apologize if my comments about being on it for 20 lbs weight loss were offensive. I want to point out that I said, more power to anyone who wants to try IP diet at whatever size. Body image is a very personal thing and far be it for me to decide. More importantly, for all we know the conventional wisdom on proper nutrition that has been propagated by government, may just be incorrect as proposed by Tran. If we look at the obesity rate in the USA, it indicates that something is very wrong with our concept of nutrition. Don't get me started on a rampage against the food industry, lol. Some people are mad at oil companies, some are mad at Wall St and banks, my pet peeve is Monsanto and the food industry holding hands with the USDA and Congress. Even the ridiculous pizza classification as a vegetable recently so that the food industry could continue to sell the crap to obese school children. Did I say don't get me started?

To sum it up most everyone on IP Diet feels better, has had more success than any other diet they've tried, and they're happy! How can you beat that? I heard the other day that Dolly Pardon said she maintains a high protein, low carb, low fat diet to maintain her tiny physique. I believe that in order to maintain, I'll be doing the same.

Also, please note that in the video about IP, Tran explains that losing weight slowly does not imply that it will be gained back slowly nor losing fast implies gaining fast. IP is not a cure for obesity. Naturally if you return to former eating patterns after you phase off, you will regain the weight. *I think* the correlation between slow weight loss and maintainability is the length of time the improved eating and exercising became more ingrained pattern.

DanafromAustin
01-14-2012, 02:54 PM
I don't think you have to defend anything at all. First of all, this is your choice and no singularly peculiar, busy body moralist -- who apparently knows next to nothing about the program, if not less -- shouldn't set a standard for you. Secondly, if you were sitting in Paris, and decided to do the program through Dr Chanh's office there, you would probably be the norm. :D I wish you the very best and think you've made a wise decision.

Trinique, I'm a little curious. IP boot camp used to be 4 packets a day plus all the vegetables, salads, oil, supplements, water, etc. Is that how your coach is defining it? And I also think you made a wise choice. The kind of research Bailey did might reassure you, too. Go take a look at the weight losses in the Valentine challenge and see what other's your weight are losing, minus those on their first week. And if you're really curious, go back and look at the 8 weeks of the New Years' Challenge. VERY revealing. Cheers to both of you. :hug:

I agree, I have lost a lot more weight than my daughter, but then again she "only" needs to loose 30 pounds while I want to loose 130 pounds. I average about 3.25 per week. My daughter looses 1 to 2 pounds per week. As we all know the closer to goal the slower the weight loss can be.

Trinique, congrats on your weight loss. It looks like you have pushed past your plateau.

Trinique125
01-14-2012, 03:09 PM

I was told it was only 3 packets a day, when I suggested a fourth package she did not reply, she just said to try the 3 this week and see what happens. That's really really low carb though so I'll see how the week goes.

Trinique125
01-14-2012, 03:12 PM
I agree, I have lost a lot more weight than my daughter, but then again she "only" needs to loose 30 pounds while I want to loose 130 pounds. I average about 3.25 per week. My daughter looses 1 to 2 pounds per week. As we all know the closer to goal the slower the weight loss can be.

Trinique, congrats on your weight loss. It looks like you have pushed past your plateau.

thanks Dana, guess I just have to accept the fact that this might be a slow process for me

Bailey6
01-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Linden- Thank you!! I really appreciate that. We are all here for the same reason, to get positive support while we reach and maintain our goal! :)

Tinique- GOOD LUCK to you!! :)

Linden
01-14-2012, 03:20 PM
I was told it was only 3 packets a day, when I suggested a fourth package she did not reply, she just said to try the 3 this week and see what happens. That's really really low carb though so I'll see how the week goes.

I'm so sorry. I didn't explain boot camp very clearly. It's 4-5 packets and no solid protein a day, like meat or fish. Just making sure you get at least 90 grams of protein. And you don't do it for more the 4 or 5 days. With good green vegetables and lots of Romaine and cider vinegar, if you're using it, you should get about 25 grams of carbs. That's plenty for boot camp. I try to stay at 30 or under every day.

Linden
01-14-2012, 03:38 PM
More importantly, for all we know the conventional wisdom on proper nutrition that has been propagated by government, may just be incorrect as proposed by Tran. If we look at the obesity rate in the USA, it indicates that something is very wrong with our concept of nutrition. Don't get me started on a rampage against the food industry, lol. Some people are mad at oil companies, some are mad at Wall St and banks, my pet peeve is Monsanto and the food industry holding hands with the USDA and Congress. Even the ridiculous pizza classification as a vegetable recently so that the food industry could continue to sell the crap to obese school children. Did I say don't get me started?

Oh, boy, we are SO in the same camp. And might I add to that the professional nutritionists one pays to tell them to eat carbs and gain weight? You might like some of the things Dr. Michael Eades has to say about USDA, et alia, if you haven't run into him before.

I think it's nice that you also mentioned the myth of fast off/fast back on. This program is FOUR phases that lead ultimately to a healthy lifestyle. It is NOT a diet. OK, and my rant is over.

DanafromAustin
01-14-2012, 04:07 PM
A great book I would recommend to anyone who is interested in why low carb way of eating is best is Why We Are Fat: And What to Do About It by Gary Taubes.

Taubes is a science writer and I don't think I have ever read a book with so many case studies in it. He doesn't start the book saying low carb is best, but he does make a strong case as the book goes along. The nice thing is that he isn't trying to sell anything, other than his book, lol. If you are into nutrition at all then it's a must read.

Trinique125
01-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Dana, I meant to ask you, did your daughter eat restrictives when going from 130 to 110?

Lakewood
01-15-2012, 12:16 PM
A great book I would recommend to anyone who is interested in why low carb way of eating is best is Why We Are Fat: And What to Do About It by Gary Taubes.

Taubes is a science writer and I don't think I have ever read a book with so many case studies in it. He doesn't start the book saying low carb is best, but he does make a strong case as the book goes along. The nice thing is that he isn't trying to sell anything, other than his book, lol. If you are into nutrition at all then it's a must read.

That book was amazing! I highly recommend it for all on IP - it's a fast read and packed with info.

Lakewood
01-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Even the ridiculous pizza classification as a vegetable recently so that the food industry could continue to sell the crap to obese school children. Did I say don't get me started?

First, I must state I take issue with the government's nutrition guidelines. If I ate that way, I would be as big as a house! However, I must clarify the statement "Even the ridiculous pizza classification as a vegetable..."

Congress did not declare pizza as a vegetable. In the appropriations bill the fight was over the tomato paste/sauce. Specifically how much constituted a serving of vegetables. It was being given 'extra credit' counting an 1/8 of a cup with as much nutritional value as a full cup of vegetables.

For the full story see the artivle here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/did-congress-declare-pizza-as-a-vegetable-not-exactly/2011/11/20/gIQABXgmhN_blog.html

Trinique125
01-15-2012, 01:14 PM
either way, I still love pizza and can't wait to eat it again lol

DanafromAustin
01-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Dana, I meant to ask you, did your daughter eat restrictives when going from 130 to 110?

Yes, both her and I have been eating a bar for breakfast since the first day. I think we are addicted to the bars, lol. Could she have lost faster by not eating the bars? Who knows, but she is happy as long as the scale is going down.

That book was amazing! I highly recommend it for all on IP - it's a fast read and packed with info.

I've now read it twice I found it so interesting. I picked it up for the second time when I started IP. The only difference in the book is the writer doesn't buy into the low fat theory based on research. I agree with him, but I'm going along with the low fat because that's what IP calls for. Great book though.

Me too! It's already been decided that will be my first free day food.

PeggyG
01-15-2012, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Dana. Just downloaded this for my Kindle and iPad.

Momto2cs
01-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Gary taubes first book good calories bad calories is even better.

It is not phasing off that makes this diet effective, but accepting that you are in phase 4, maintenance, forever! You can never go back to eating whatever you like, whenever you want. Otherwise you will end up right back where you were!

I did ip last year at this time and lost 25 pounds, going from 175-150. I am 5'8" and very active. I kept the 25 pounds off all year.

I am back as I gained 5 pounds over Christmas and have a goal of 140-145 (145, but with some wiggle room).

I think that ip can work for anyone. My losses are slower, as my body fat is under 20%, but I still have energy to work out and I enjoy the ease of the food!

My dh is looking to lose 50 and has joined me on ip this time...you can almost see his pounds melting away. Grrrr

Glad to see you broke the plateau. It does sometimes seem insane not to lose when we are barely eating!

New Englander
01-15-2012, 03:24 PM
I got a laugh at those saying this plan isn't for those who want to lose small numbers...are you serious??? This plan was originally designed for athletes who only had a small number to lose!!! Anyone who has fat to lose 5 lbs to 555 lbs can use this plan!

But, thanks for the laugh!!!

New Englander
01-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Interesting thread you started... and fun to read!!! :) If there is another coach at your facility I would make an appointment with that person just to get another "professional" opinion...and yes...I really don't mean "professional"...we all know how different coaches throughout the US and Canada interpret the IP protocol so you may be a different recommendation which could be helpful...just a thought! AND...Keep going!!!

And yes..I too cannot wait to have pizza from my favorite local place!!! Two - three more months!!! WOO HOO!!! That's my true goal!!! LOL

patns
01-15-2012, 03:39 PM
It is not phasing off that makes this diet effective, but accepting that you are in phase 4, maintenance, forever! You can never go back to eating whatever you like, whenever you want. Otherwise you will end up right back where you were!

Glad to see you broke the plateau. It does sometimes seem insane not to lose when we are barely eating!

That is so right about phase 4 being forever. I am reading the maintainers thread to plan ahead for when I get to that stage and the people posting there are very successfully forging ahead. But they are still very carefully planning and monitoring what they eat. They never let their guard down.

On the other note I think a lot of the causes of plateaus is when people cut back on the small amount allowed. That is why the daily restricted is in the plan and the importance of getting in the full allottment of veggies.

Pat

patns
01-15-2012, 03:42 PM
I got a laugh at those saying this plan isn't for those who want to lose small numbers...are you serious??? This plan was originally designed for athletes who only had a small number to lose!!! Anyone who has fat to lose 5 lbs to 555 lbs can use this plan!

But, thanks for the laugh!!!

That is so true!! All of us are only working on one pound at a time, so we are all fighting the next pound no matter how many more are after that one.

Pat

Trinique125
01-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Yes, both her and I have been eating a bar for breakfast since the first day. I think we are addicted to the bars, lol. Could she have lost faster by not eating the bars? Who knows, but she is happy as long as the scale is going down.

I've now read it twice I found it so interesting. I picked it up for the second time when I started IP. The only difference in the book is the writer doesn't buy into the low fat theory based on research. I agree with him, but I'm going along with the low fat because that's what IP calls for. Great book though.

Me too! It's already been decided that will be my first free day food.

I'm really going to miss those bars this week:DI've had one every day since I started, did not try any of the other restrictives because I liked them so much, except for the soup which I hated.

PIzza is my favourite meal of all time, I will never give it up long term, in fact I told my boyfriend if I were dying my last meal would be pizza :D

New Englander
01-15-2012, 04:22 PM
I'm really going to miss those bars this week:DI've had one every day since I started, did not try any of the other restrictives because I liked them so much, except for the soup which I hated.

PIzza is my favourite meal of all time, I will never give it up long term, in fact I told my boyfriend if I were dying my last meal would be pizza :D
A family friend was dying (unexpected and quickly) at the young age of 55... :( It was very sad...but not to make this a sad story because this is about pizza when your dying. :) We actually brought him a pizza from his favorite place growing up...(he had since moved to a neighboring state)...he ate it in the hospital, and even though he was unable to communicate verbally we knew he was happy with the pizza!!! ;)

Trinique125
01-15-2012, 04:24 PM
Interesting thread you started... and fun to read!!! :) If there is another coach at your facility I would make an appointment with that person just to get another "professional" opinion...and yes...I really don't mean "professional"...we all know how different coaches throughout the US and Canada interpret the IP protocol so you may be a different recommendation which could be helpful...just a thought! AND...Keep going!!!

And yes..I too cannot wait to have pizza from my favorite local place!!! Two - three more months!!! WOO HOO!!! That's my true goal!!! LOL

unfortunately I don't know of any other coaches in my area but I decided to give this another week or two, I will stay away from the restrictives this week and see if that helps. My coach is quite nice but she operates out of a hair dresser's office:?:, no doctors there, only hair dressers and she has a little corner room in the back where she runs her business

Survalia
01-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Trini, just got to say that you are sounding so much more positive now, and I am glad. It is just awesome the way so many people chimed in to offer their suggestions and support to you. I have said it before, and I will say it again, you are all awesome!

P.S. Gotta share a NSV -- as of this morning my BMI is in the NORMAL range. :carrot::carrot: (Yes, yes, only by a hair, and only according to the website that Linden recommended, where you plug in your age as well as your height and weight, but I am taking it!)

PeggyG
01-15-2012, 05:27 PM
I got that one at the same time. Thanks

Trinique125
01-15-2012, 05:37 PM
A family friend was dying (unexpected and quickly) at the young age of 55... :( It was very sad...but not to make this a sad story because this is about pizza when your dying. :) We actually brought him a pizza from his favorite place growing up...(he had since moved to a neighboring state)...he ate it in the hospital, and even though he was unable to communicate verbally we knew he was happy with the pizza!!! ;)

wow, that's sad but I think I can understand his elation:)

there really is no substitute for pizza:D

Trinique125
01-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Trini, just got to say that you are sounding so much more positive now, and I am glad. It is just awesome the way so many people chimed in to offer their suggestions and support to you. I have said it before, and I will say it again, you are all awesome!

P.S. Gotta share a NSV -- as of this morning my BMI is in the NORMAL range. :carrot::carrot: (Yes, yes, only by a hair, and only according to the website that Linden recommended, where you plug in your age as well as your height and weight, but I am taking it!)

Thanks I do feel better. Lots of good info on here. Second day not using restrictives and I have to say my energy is normal now. Perhaps I'm in ketosis once again as I don't feel lethargic or abnormally hungry.

I have decided to give it another 2 weeks, if the scale doesn't move I might phase off slowly and decide after what to do next. But if I'm going to only lose 3.2 lbs in a month like I've done and spend 400 to do it, it's just not worth it to me. I can do that on WW and eat "normal" while doing it.

Momto2cs
01-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks I do feel better. Lots of good info on here. Second day not using restrictives and I have to say my energy is normal now. Perhaps I'm in ketosis once again as I don't feel lethargic or abnormally hungry.

I have decided to give it another 2 weeks, if the scale doesn't move I might phase off slowly and decide after what to do next. But if I'm going to only lose 3.2 lbs in a month like I've done and spend 400 to do it, it's just not worth it to me. I can do that on WW and eat "normal" while doing it.

If you are in fort mcmurray there are other coaches in town. Look up back on track with barb...

sekc14
01-15-2012, 11:36 PM
I got a laugh at those saying this plan isn't for those who want to lose small numbers...are you serious??? ...But, thanks for the laugh!!!
I wanted to let this one go because I don't want to start a war but, feel it's important to point out that there are health risks to a ketogenic diet. It seems everyone would know this from reading on the internet about ketosis.

The risks: kidney damage, liver damage, developing kidney stones, osteoporosis from calcium leeching from the bones, and more. If you don't believe me, PLEASE google it. If you can't find medical articles with scientific evidence of those dangers, please ask and I will post a list of ones I've read.

I have chosen to take those risks because I was severely obese (no longer severely just obese at this point, thanks to IP diet) :carrot: I view taking this drastic weight loss approach as equivalent to a cancer patient choosing chemotherapy. All along I've contemplated how long I want to assume the risk of being in ketosis for the very great reward of losing fat. One of my biggest obstacles to conventional dieting is the overwhelming desire I have for high glycemic foods. When I'm in ketosis the problem of resisting is a non-issue. However, my personal choice, which this thread has helped me to form the answer to, is to only remain on IP until I've reached a weight that is comfortable for me, 160 lbs then transition off and continue my weight loss journey on a balanced diet with exercise. I'm not judging anyone for their decision to be on this diet for any length of time but, I think it's important not to gloss over the potential dangers of the diet. To clarify, the scientific evidence suggests that these are POTENTIAL problems. I feel it's important for people to make their own decisions about their own bodies and hopefully they will be informed decisions that include weighting the health risks. In my opinion, for a small amount of weight to lose like 21 lbs on a 5'9" body, it wouldn't be worth taking any risks. As a 5'4" 234 lbs female who struggled to lose the weight unsuccessfully for more than a decade, it was worth the risk.

If I've offended anyone with my opinions, I apologize. However, I felt that if people couldn't understand why several of us view IP diet as a drastic approach then, maybe they aren't aware of the potential risks of ketogenic diets. This was only meant to inform, not to judge.

omgzitsmiranda
01-16-2012, 12:01 AM
I wanted to let this one go because I don't want to start a war but, feel it's important to point out that there are health risks to a ketogenic diet. It seems everyone would know this from reading on the internet about ketosis.

The risks: kidney damage, liver damage, developing kidney stones, osteoporosis from calcium leeching from the bones, and more. If you don't believe me, PLEASE google it. If you can't find medical articles with scientific evidence of those dangers, please ask and I will post a list of ones I've read.

I have chosen to take those risks because I was severely obese (no longer severely just obese at this point, thanks to IP diet) :carrot: I view taking this drastic weight loss approach as equivalent to a cancer patient choosing chemotherapy. All along I've contemplated how long I want to assume the risk of being in ketosis for the very great reward of losing fat. One of my biggest obstacles to conventional dieting is the overwhelming desire I have for high glycemic foods. When I'm in ketosis the problem of resisting is a non-issue. However, my personal choice, which this thread has helped me to form the answer to, is to only remain on IP until I've reached a weight that is comfortable for me, 160 lbs then transition off and continue my weight loss journey on a balanced diet with exercise. I'm not judging anyone for their decision to be on this diet for any length of time but, I think it's important not to gloss over the potential dangers of the diet. To clarify, the scientific evidence suggests that these are POTENTIAL problems. I feel it's important for people to make their own decisions about their own bodies and hopefully they will be informed decisions that include weighting the health risks. In my opinion, for a small amount of weight to lose like 21 lbs on a 5'9" body, it wouldn't be worth taking any risks. As a 5'4" 234 lbs female who struggled to lose the weight unsuccessfully for more than a decade, it was worth the risk.

If I've offended anyone with my opinions, I apologize. However, I felt that if people couldn't understand why several of us view IP diet as a drastic approach then, maybe they aren't aware of the potential risks of ketogenic diets. This was only meant to inform, not to judge.

I totally agree with what you've said. This "diet" is not for EVERYONE; there are RISKS with everything you do, eat, say or whatever you do in YOUR life ya know? To each their own ;) Congrats on your success!

patns
01-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Many of us who seem to have only a small amount to lose may in fact not be as appears at first glace. I have been severly overweight all my life, at my highest 205 pounds at 5'1". It took me 10 years to get the first 40 pounds off. I have always immediately regained when I try to maintain after a loss on a balanced plan.
I will likely need a knee replacement in the next decade, I am now in my early 60s. My doctor wanted to send me to a specialist. I asked him to wait until I got more weight off but don't have another 10 years to spend losing and regaining.
My doctor just sent me for blood tests. He said everything is excellent across the board. I will still need the surgery in the future but at a normal weight my recovery should be much easier.

If someone is obese wouldn't your logic mean that you are putting yourself at greater risk because you will be doing this longer?

Pat

sekc14
01-16-2012, 12:52 AM
....If someone is obese wouldn't your logic mean that you are putting yourself at greater risk because you will be doing this longer?
It would stand to reason longer exposure would equate to more potential and/or more damage possible. One article I read said that ketosis could start a condition --implying that the condition doesn't automatically stop when the ketosis diet stops?! Somehow I don't think I'm clearly getting my point across. Which is I am choosing a drastic approach because I've judged that my circumstances are drastic. Would I choose gastric bipass? No. Do I think this is as drastic as GB? No, I think it's far healthier. Would I choose chemotherapy if I had cancer? Depends. An OB gyn told me I needed a hysterectomy. Did I choose to do it? No, and without a second opinion. But, when I got a second opinion the other OB Gyn in the same practice said he didn't think it was necessary. Medical opinions differ. People's opinions differ. It's up to the individual to make their own health choices and risks. My opinions should and decisions should have NO BEARING on someone else's decisions. Like I said, if someone chooses to use this diet at any weight, size, age, etc. go for it! I did! I'm very happy with my choice to do it and most everyone else is extremely happy they've found something that works for them.

BTW, there was a Native Alaskan tribe that lived their entire lives in ketosis for generations because there were very little fruit and veggies in the snow. Bodies do adapt. It seems bodies suffer from the high glycemic diets too. IMO, my body suffered more from carbs than lack of them. But, I also haven't done a bone density check nor have I had time to find out if kidney stones are forming but, that could happen without this diet. Right?

DanafromAustin
01-16-2012, 12:52 AM
unfortunately I don't know of any other coaches in my area but I decided to give this another week or two, I will stay away from the restrictives this week and see if that helps. My coach is quite nice but she operates out of a hair dresser's office:?:, no doctors there, only hair dressers and she has a little corner room in the back where she runs her business

This is the kind of stuff that scares me.

!

His earlier book is also great, but I find this book an easier read because it lays it all out for the average reader. Either way both very informative.

I do respect your opinion, but I do have to totally disagree with you. I've read a lot on the subject of ketosis and this is the best description I know of as to why ketosis is not a dangerous state for a human being to be in:

" The medical community and the media confuse ketosis with ketoacidosis, a variant of ketosis that occurs in untreated diabetics and can be fatal. ''Doctors are scared of ketosis,'' says Richard Veech, an N.I.H. researcher who studied medicine at Harvard and then got his doctorate at Oxford University with the Nobel Laureate Hans Krebs. ''They're always worried about diabetic ketoacidosis. But ketosis is a normal physiologic state. I would argue it is the normal state of man. It's not normal to have McDonald's and a delicatessen around every corner. It's normal to starve.''

Simply put, ketosis is evolution's answer to the thrifty gene.
We may have evolved to efficiently store fat for times of famine, says Veech, but we also evolved ketosis to efficiently live off that fat when necessary. Rather than being poison, which is how the press often refers to ketones, they make the body run more efficiently and provide a backup fuel source for the brain. Veech calls ketones ''magic'' and has shown that both the heart and brain run 25 percent more efficiently on ketones than on blood sugar. ..."

Ketosis expert Dr. Richar Veech

124chicksinger
01-16-2012, 02:10 AM
All I know is, when someone is weighing (hahahaha punny) sticking to a severely restrictive diet--because the weight loss is stalled...they are hungrier than a bear...they have a small amount of weight to lose...not to mention the program isn't cheep......I have to question if it just isn't the right program for that person. That's all I was writing in a prior post.

Does this diet work on the notion that the more you weigh the more food you get to consume? If so, then it might even be easier for someone who weighs 300 lbs to stick with since there is more food available. Or, does everyone on it get 700/800 calories daily?
Also, I didn't imply that losing just a few pounds were "vanity" pounds because I truly believe when you are disappointed with your weight, you need to do something about it to make you happy with yourself. I don't even question the program that someone chooses.....except when they are expressing severe hunger and lack of results. Then, maybe it is time to look to something else.

Everyone has an argument for what diet works best and why. What works best for you is what works best for you. When it isn't working---the diet has failed you and its time to look to alternatives. When you reach your goal, you have to move to a different strategy for keeping the weight off. I'm at the point in my life where I finally get that--I need to eat differently forever. I'm happy with this realization.

Anyhow, it looks like you broke your plateau and you're moving forward and you're happier with the program now. I wish you (and everyone else for that matter) success and continued success.

Linden
01-16-2012, 02:31 AM
Ketosis expert Dr. Richar Veech

This is my go to source for authenticating the program and I also very much like the information regarding the practical application of ketosis that Dr Michael Eades gives in his blog and elsewhere.

mamacitaof2
01-16-2012, 08:07 AM
I think it's up to each individual and their coach/doctor to decide what's the best approach for them. I've been the person that needs to only lose 20lbs. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to and I tried many different diets, including diet and exercise alone. Unfortunately, I was discouraged and gave up, which is why I am much further from my goal. Each person is different and each person needs to find what works best for their body. Ultimately, we need to be supportive of each other, regardless of the amount we are loosing. I don't believe the earlier comment was mean to be offensive or disrespective. Lets continue to stay positive and supportive of each other!

Trinique125
01-16-2012, 09:35 AM
you know the one thing I absolutely HATE about this program is how constipated I become. When I was on WW I had regular bowel movements WITHOUT the use of pills/supplements. Now it's the opposite. I will not "go" unless I drink or take something. And yes I drink the water, eat the veggies etc. My boyfriend's sister who lost 70 lbs on this program said sometimes a week would go by and she would not "go". That scares me. So I drink a herbal laxative tea every couple of days. I wonder though how healthy is it really to be in ketosis for more than a couple of weeks if normal bodily functions are affected so severely?

Constipation can lead to serious health risks too such as Hemroids, Anal Fissures, Vericose Veins, IBS etc, not to mention the lethargy and "brain fog" you experience.

NavyMommy
01-16-2012, 09:51 AM
you know the one thing I absolutely HATE about this program is how constipated I become. When I was on WW I had regular bowel movements WITHOUT the use of pills/supplements. Now it's the opposite. I will not "go" unless I drink or take something. And yes I drink the water, eat the veggies etc. My boyfriend's sister who lost 70 lbs on this program said sometimes a week would go by and she would not "go". That scares me. So I drink a herbal laxative tea every couple of days. I wonder though how healthy is it really to be in ketosis for more than a couple of weeks if normal bodily functions are affected so severely?

Constipation can lead to serious health risks too such as Hemroids, Anal Fissures, Vericose Veins, IBS etc, not to mention the lethargy and "brain fog" you experience.

I don't think that it's necessarily the ketosis that causes constipation, but the make up of foods. There is not much fiber in this diet, and if you combine that with the fact that we are using most of what we ingest (which leads to less waste) and the small amount of fat on the diet and you can have these problems. Personally I don't have a big problem with that, maybe every now and then, so it varies from person to person.

sekc14
01-16-2012, 10:22 AM
I don't think that it's necessarily the ketosis that causes constipation,...
Everyone should google, "side effects of ketogenic diet" there is plenty of research by Johns Hopkins and a list of side effects. Nausea, vomiting, constipation, loss of bone mineral, etc. are just a few. Just read the information diseminated directly from the scientific medical research groups that have performed the studies and is at your disposal through the net. Why limit your reading and information to someone else's interpretation only? You are capable of going straight to the source, take advantage of it.

New Englander
01-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Everyone should google, "side effects of ketogenic diet" there is plenty of research by Johns Hopkins and a list of side effects. Nausea, vomiting, constipation, loss of bone mineral, etc. are just a few. Just read the information diseminated directly from the scientific medical research groups that have performed the studies and is at your disposal through the net. Why limit your reading and information to someone else's interpretation only? You are capable of going straight to the source, take advantage of it.
Googling items and researching online will produce millions of answers to our questions...I don't agree with that approach and I can attest all the specialist I see for various issues always tell me NOT to google health issues and to speak directly with them... I think this dialogue (i.e. thread) is beneficial for us to communicate with one another and share ideas...nothing is in black and white and WE are all smart enough to know NOT to take medical advice from one another... just sayin'

Not reading this thread anymore! It's seems to be getting too much...and not supportive!

DanafromAustin
01-16-2012, 10:50 AM

Constipation is from the increase in protein, not ketosis. Also because of the limited calories in the diet there isn't as much waste. There are many healthy natural products out there besides laxatives that one can take if need be to keep your liver, kidneys and digestive track humming along just fine.

sekc14
01-16-2012, 12:23 PM
The Hopkins ketogenic diet studies were done for children who are on the diet for seisure control, especially when seisure meds don't work. The studies show that 1 in 20 children on ketogenic diet result in kidney stones which is 10X the rate in the normal population of children.

The IP literature I received from my office says constipation is sometimes a problem. The food diary includes a place to record constipation. Also, they take blood pressure every time as ketosis can cause raised blood pressure. We may not be eating much but, burning the fat creates metabolic waste too. IP sells something specifically for constipation and according to my office, we're not supposed to use other products.

Survalia
01-16-2012, 12:32 PM
i am not taking sides one way or the other, but I just have to wonder how many coaches discuss any possible risks/side effects (other than constipation) with their clients??? Mine sure did not. She also did not EVER take my blood pressure. If the diet is potentially dangerous, shouldn't this be a REQUIREMENT? I agree that there is a lot of conflicting information out there, and it should NOT be up to the client to "read the information on the internet" and decide what is the truth. :mad:

DanafromAustin
01-16-2012, 12:44 PM
This tread has really started to morph into something other than it's original intent. I think the bottom line is we all have to do with what we are comfortable with. I firmly believe that ketosis is safe long term, and thankfully my medical doctor agrees. It was her who first recommended this diet to me as she does to any of her overweight patients (she has no stake in IP as my clinic is at another M.D.s office). Bottom line, we do what we feel comfortable with. I feel that we are following a way of eating that our bodies were designed to handle (low carb, higher protein). I wish for all of us to find what we are ultimately looking for in health even though our journeys might be different.

purple sky
01-16-2012, 02:29 PM
i am not taking sides one way or the other, but I just have to wonder how many coaches discuss any possible risks/side effects (other than constipation) with their clients??? Mine sure did not. She also did not EVER take my blood pressure. If the diet is potentially dangerous, shouldn't this be a REQUIREMENT? I agree that there is a lot of conflicting information out there, and it should NOT be up to the client to "read the information on the internet" and decide what is the truth. :mad:

My office gave me a packet and it lists a lot of potential side effects. I did not want to read it. Also, my coach spent a lot of time going into a lot of the possible side effects. She went through the program and had them all including hair loss.

It was also explained to me that the constipation could be due to not taking in a lot of fiber like I used to. I had more trouble with the constipation when I was eating cooked/roasted veggies. I had less issues when I ate more salad and raw veggies.

Regarding the general discussion in this thread:
Everything has side effects. My weight and my lifestyle were definitely not placing me on a healthy track. I went into this diet not thinking it was healthy and s/w concerned about possible effects. Logically it did not make sense to me to eat such an unbalanced diet. And I don't like a lot of artificial ingredients. But, I had to make a decision and ultimately I decided that for a few months I could and probably should do this to make some changes I was simply unable to do myself.

I had to think about where I would be in 6 months after starting this diet and where I was 6 months ago which is where I would be 6 months from now without it (probably worse because of some newer health issues). I know myself. I would try some sort of healthy diet option and in a month be back to my normal eating. I do this every year, at least once. In the first few days of starting this diet, "I Got IT" It started to make sense. This is the way many were suggesting to eat for a long time. Our plate should reflect lean protein and a large amt of veggies. I wasn't doing that. Just couldn't. I have probably eaten more veggies in my 2 plus weeks on this diet than I had eaten in 2011.

So, it's a balancing act. If I start to notice ill effects, I may not continue. I don't want to get sick but already there are so many improved symtoms that have nothing to do with inches or pounds and I am so thankful to feel just a little more like me. Sorry I went on and on. Very interesting thread. Interesting topics.

Trinique125
01-16-2012, 10:49 PM
Not having restrictives this week is killing me so far. I've had a headache all day, can't seem to shake it, took pills already.

Will eating less really help me in the long run. I have to wonder. Just don't like how I feel today.

Regarding side effects of the diet, my coach never explained any of this to me except that I might become more fertile lol.
She has not recommended the IP pills for constipation but rather told me about some things I can take from the health food store. I really like that about her. She is not **** bent on selling IP products but knows we can find alternatives that are cheaper.

Momto2cs
01-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Wuv has experimented on restricteds no restricteds and saw no difference in loss.

If your restricted choice makes you happier, feel better and thus you are more likely to stick op then go back to eating your restricteds! Even if it made a small difference and it took a little longer to get to goal, at least you would be more satisfied.