Exercise! - Capoeira

View Full Version : Capoeira

josey
01-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Not sure how many have heard of this, so here is a link to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeria and here is a link to a video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8zNigU0ChU

I really wanted to do that for the longest time but as you can see those guys are incredibly fit and it is not exactly a sport for overweight and unfit people. Well, and that is what I used to be my whole life.

Now, they are offering classes where I live for total beginners (keep your fingers crossed!) and I am at (well, close) to my goal weight, so I signed up! :yikes:

The first class is on Saturday and I am a little nervous.

I will check back on Monday or so and let you know how it went. Well, if I survive it, that is. :dizzy:

Anyways, I figured I start a thread and see if somebody else is crazy enough to try out Capoeira. :-) Anybody doing it or used to do it?

JennaR
01-12-2012, 02:43 PM
I've never heard of it! But, after checking out the links your provided it looks really awesome!

I wish I was as brave as you! I'm totally intimidated by the gym and all the really fit people who go! I'm always self-conscious that I wont be able to perform to the same ability as the others even if it is a beginners class or whatever!! I'm working on this and contemplating signing up for a beginner yoga class to get me over my fear!!

Hope you have fun!! Looks like it'll be a blast! :)

HMM3
01-13-2012, 03:11 AM
Good luck .... I have heard of it and know some very fit looking celebrity bodies do it .... go for it .... let us know how you get on ...

Julia75
01-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Don't worry about not being fit enough I'm sure you'll be fine! Those people in the video have probably been doing it for a long time, so they've been able to develop the proper body type for this. I think you'll be surprised to by the variety of fitness levels at your class, I know I was when I started doing a martial art. Just have fun and don't sweat it.

DesertTabby
01-14-2012, 01:42 AM
Tell us how the first lesson goes!

I've always wanted to do things like capoiera or parkour, but was too shy to get into it cause of how unfit I am. So tell us how the first lesson is!

josey
01-14-2012, 06:00 PM
I am back from the first class. Phew it was quite the workout. Legs are still burning. It was good though. I will make sure I practice a bunch until next Saturday.

regcal966
01-14-2012, 08:45 PM
I have always wanted to do capoiera! I'm not there yet, maybe soon :) Glad you had a great class!

DesertTabby
01-15-2012, 01:50 AM
Hey Josey, glad you had fun! How do you feel compared to all the other beginners?

I just wanted to drop in to also say that you've inspired me. Cause of you I have joined my local martial arts class that I've always made doe-eyes at whenever I drove past. Next Monday will be my first self-defense/TKD class, with the promise of continuing onto MMA when I get better!

josey
01-15-2012, 08:48 AM
I was doing ok i think. There was one girl that was a bit heavier (200 maybe?) she was huffing and puffing but liked it too. I think if you can tough it out and survivie killer sore muscles i would say go for it. The exercises were not impossible to do.
I would say go for it.

One thing i have never experienced is that the soreness set in during the night. Usually i dont even feel sore the next day but the one after. I am already in pain :yikes: And it is definitely a full body workout. I can tell!!

Deserttabby - go for it!!!

josey
01-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Did I mention I am ridiculously sore? OMG!! I have been sore lots of times in my life but I think what is different this time is that my WHOLE body is sore. Apart from my head, hands and feet everything just hurts! And hurts bad!
I can barely move.
But you know what? I LOVED IT! I am so going to the next class on Saturday and even if it kills me.

josey
01-24-2012, 10:18 AM
I had my second class on Saturday and it was great! Not sore this time. Last week it took me almost all week to shake the soreness. Uhoh! This week I was smarter. Went home and hopped on the bike for a few minutes to cool down a bit more. Had a hot shower and worked out the day after. That helped!
I also ordered the Capoeira Workout DVD, I hope I get it today. That will help practicing between the classes I think!