Exercise! - Injured Chicks Exercise Support Group?

PixieChix
01-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Hey everyone. I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there in this forum who has difficulty with exercise due to an injury. Maybe we could band together and support each other in whatever exercise we're able to do.

I have back and neck injuries from a car accident. I am only now, after five years, able to lift about half the weights I was lifting before the accident. And cardio is even more challenging because most forms of cardio hurt my back if I'm not careful. So, I walk slowly and am slowly trying to add minutes on a recumbent bike.

Sometimes it feels like three steps forward, two-and-a-half back, but I'm not giving up.

What about you? What's your story? :cool:

ddc
01-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Hi PixieChix. I'm 46 and have degenerative disc disease in my neck (with finger numbness in my left hand) and probably in my lower spine too (just not diagnosed yet).
For about a year, I have only done the exercises given to me by my physical therapist, and a few light dumbbell exercises. I decided this year that I need to be more active, so I've started doing a Leslie Sansone walking dvd for my cardio. I have been feeling better lately, so that's a good thing!!

PixieChix
01-12-2012, 02:30 PM
ddc, it's fantastic that you have been walking. I do a lot of physical therapy (PT) exercises, too. Sometimes it seems like all I do is PT. But, it does help keep my abs strong if nothing else! I'm trying to add some walking to my routine, too; I just have to be careful not to walk too fast.

SamanthaJubilee
02-20-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm so glad I searched. Yes, I think we need a support group too!

I am 33 with DDD in my lower back (L4, L5 & S1) with radiculopathy.
I hurt every day! I know someone who also has this (she isn't overweight) who runs half marathons. She is an inspiration...if I keep up the hard work then maybe one day I can do one too. I want to do a 5k, but my work schedule and kid schedule prevent that from happening. (6 kids - blended family). Right now I'm still rebuilding my core with the exercises I learned at physical therapy. I weighed 202 at my wedding in May...now I'm back up above 230.

230 seems to be my "go to" number when I gain.

I want to lose this weight, be healthy and KEEP IT OFF!!!

PixieChix
02-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Welcome! Yes, physical therapy exercises are our friends, right? ;) It's PT, PT and more PT.

SamanthaJubilee
02-21-2012, 12:12 PM
I will have to admit that I don't do it often enough, but I am trying. I guess it's like the saying goes...I'm making laps around those sitting on the couch.

PixieChix
02-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Oooh. I like that. I've never heard that before. I compare myself to the tortoise and the hare. (I am, of course, the tortoise.) But the tortoise does eventually cross the finish line, thank you very much. ;)