Weight Loss Support - Who here has given up their most favorite food?

Beach Patrol
01-12-2012, 12:40 PM
I was just wondering how many of you have given up your most favorite food - for good. How do you do it? How do you not eat what you love the most?

sontaikle
01-12-2012, 12:43 PM
I didn't. My most favorite food is pizza and I eat it at least once a week!

I also love French fries...I don't eat those often though, only when I have a particularly strong desire for them.

I don't believe in deprivation. If I want something bad enough I'm going I find a way to make it work.

Lambiechop
01-12-2012, 12:49 PM
I've had bread maybe 3 times in the past 4 months. I love bread. It sucks that I can't really have it but when I do it inevitably triggers a binge :(

carter
01-12-2012, 12:51 PM
In principle, I haven't given anything up absolutely. In practice, though, there are some foods I adore that I haven't eaten since I started my plan well over two years ago, or that I eat extremely rarely (perhaps once a year).

I have handled this by thinking "not today," or "not this time." There are very few eating opportunities that are so special as to never come up in my life again. So when something I adore is available to me, and I want to resist it, I try to think "well, not this time. Maybe next time." Even if "next time" won't happen for months or a year, it's still going to happen. It's not that much of a sacrifice, on the scale of things, to pass this one time.

I know some people have trouble with this approach, but it works brilliantly for me. It helps me avoid "woe is me" thinking. And, to be honest, it helps me keep perspective. I mean, I can't legitimately call it "deprivation" to have to pass, this one time, on some delicious food indulgence. On the scale of things, it's not such a terrible problem to have to face.

Salley
01-12-2012, 12:57 PM
I've done the same as Carter, with a slight difference. I'll tell myself, "Not right now, but if I *really* want it, I'll get it later." And there were a few times I went out that night, or the next day, or the next week and actually gotten the tempting food and indulged, just to prove I could. Somehow, this has helped me accept all the responsibility for eating or not eating, and feel in control. It has made it that much easier to acknowledge that I don't want the tempting food, and am not being denied it either. It also makes the food that much more enjoyable on the rare occasions I do indulge. :)

stimkovs
01-12-2012, 12:58 PM
i eat everything- but i control it.

my issue is i don't have a "most favourite food". i just LOVE food.

food in general.

many things

many high calorie things.

but usually, there is something that i want particularly bad. i usually wait until i have an occasion to have it, like, for about 3 weeks i REALLY wanted pizza, but i wanted a slice of pizza from a particular place, that isn't really near my house, but in the entertainment district here. so on NYE i had 2 slices after the bar.

do i regret it? no. absolutely not. did i binge on it? no. do i have an insationable desire for pizza? no i'm perfectly satisfied. i had some, it was delicious and the next itme i really want it again, i will wait for the opportunity to arise. then i eat very on plan the next several days to offset.

now about 2 weeks ago, i decided i haven't had pho in a long time, and i love pho. (unfortunately a small bowl is about 600 calories and loaded with sodium, i also love egg rolls and spring rolls).

solution? i decided it was my next cheat meal.

double solution? my mother is visiting from out of town tomorrow night, she is a very petite woman who doesn't eat much- so for dinner we will get 1 bowl of medium pho, spring rolls, and egg rolls, take it hope and split it so nobody over eats. perfect solution.

monday night i was cranky? i had an ice cream cone. still lost weight

i think the key is to do it in moderation.

i really want a 100 g of pasta? sure, i won't make it with meat sauce and alfredo, i might make pasta with shrimp and tomato sauce to save some calories.

it's all about moderation. also, if you want something, eat it- it will prevent deprivation, further binges, and feeling sorry for yourself (depression as well).

makes you a much happier person in my oppinion too.

baker23
01-12-2012, 12:59 PM
I haven't =D....My favorite foods are Ice cream and Hamburgers. I eat both at least once a week(usually more on the Ice cream) Just allow room in my daily calories for it.

Avoiding foods makes me feel to restricted, and makes it harder for me to commit to losing weight.

One thing I did give up(not by choice) was chinese food. I had surgery a few years back, and because of what it was for, I can't eat greesy/oily foods. Chinese food is to much even if I love it. Used to live off the stuff living in NYC =D

ShanIAm
01-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Oh boy, I have a lot of favorites. Most of which I have not given up but still occasionally eat when I am feeling deprived or when I know I can keep it under control. But I definitely gave up eating fast food. Even when I am traveling on the road I'll make it a point to find a grocery store that has healthy pre-made options. I'm never in such a rush that a drive thru window is going to solve time restraint issues.

I also gave up drinking whole milk (I'd drink it by the gallon, literally) and regular soda.

To be honest, the thought of eating a Big Mac (my all time favorite) makes me want to gag!

Munchy
01-12-2012, 01:13 PM
One thing I did give up(not by choice) was chinese food. I had surgery a few years back, and because of what it was for, I can't eat greesy/oily foods. Chinese food is to much even if I love it. Used to live off the stuff living in NYC =D

I eat the steamed chicken and broccoli (plain/no salt/no sugar, found on the "diet section") and either make my own sauce or drizzle it with a teeny bit of the brown sauce they provide with it. Simple solution to still eat Chinese. I sometimes throw out the rice and eat just the meat/veg.

I didn't give up anything. I always grew up eating moderately healthy foods, so I just keep eating them. I've watched my weight from the time I was seven, but definitely had difficulty with weight gain during my pregnancy due to Ben and Jerry's coffee heath bar crunch! I could always take or leave ice cream, but my daughter couldn't in utero!

The one thing I do love is buffalo chicken, so sometimes I make low carb/high fiber wraps with chicken, a combination of frank's and sriracha, spinach, tomato, and an oz of good quality blue cheese. It gives me the flavor I'm looking for and fits into my diet.

Rana
01-12-2012, 01:30 PM
The only thing I've really given up that I loved was soda (pop). I don't drink soda anymore and I used to drink it all -- even moved to diet soda when I wanted to keep the calories off.

But the reality is that soda isn't good for you and I gave it up. I drink sparkling water now. I don't drink juices either, just once in a while (maybe once or twice a year) because of the high sugar content.

I'm still eating other foods that are "junky" but I am eating them in better ways (making them at home) or in smaller quantities.

Beach Patrol
01-12-2012, 01:32 PM
I agree with most of you that "deprivation" is not the way to go! - at least, not for me. I have incorporated all my favorite foods into my weight loss because I find that depriving myself of my fav foods just leads to an inevitable binge.

But I know some folks here HAVE given up their most favorite foods. I'm interested in how they did it. How do they say NO to the most loved tastiest yummies on their menu??

aware210
01-12-2012, 03:39 PM
I will never give up my most favorite foods for good. I just don't eat them everyday! Or every week, or even every month, but once in a while, if the opportunity arises, I will eat some!

Rana
01-12-2012, 04:07 PM
I just said no to soda. I mean, every time I said no to it, I became stronger. And when the craving was so strong, I would have the sparkling water, ice cold, because it tasted the same (in my head!) like an ice cold coke.

And the more you say no, the easier it becomes to say no. It's no longer an option. If you always say no, then you never have to wonder about saying yes. If someone offers you a soda, you say, "No thanks, can I have water, instead?" It becomes a habit. You don't have to think about it. The answer is always no.

Beach Patrol
01-12-2012, 04:10 PM
I just said no to soda. I mean, every time I said no to it, I became stronger. And when the craving was so strong, I would have the sparkling water, ice cold, because it tasted the same (in my head!) like an ice cold coke.

And the more you say no, the easier it becomes to say no. It's no longer an option. If you always say no, then you never have to wonder about saying yes. If someone offers you a soda, you say, "No thanks, can I have water, instead?" It becomes a habit. You don't have to think about it. The answer is always no.

I did that with soda as well. (regular soda... I switched to diet soda, and even now I only have one per day... sometimes two, but mostly just one.)

Bijoux00
01-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Chips is about the only thing I've really given up. Started by just not having them in the house because I couldn't control myself. Now I don't usually even think about them-I actually have a big bag left from Xmas in the house and I haven't even opened them!!

Beach Patrol
01-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Chips is about the only thing I've really given up. Started by just not having them in the house because I couldn't control myself. Now I don't usually even think about them-I actually have a big bag left from Xmas in the house and I haven't even opened them!!
Good for you! ...I just threw out 3 bags of unopened chips a few days ago... from the summer of 2010! - that's how much I don't eat chips anymore! :o :D

SouthLake
01-12-2012, 04:37 PM
I've completley given up mashed and baked potatoes. For years they were my favorite foods, one of those "I could never give up..." But, I found some substitutes for them that I really enjoy that are a lot healthier for me (I have trouble with starches) and now I don't miss them. I have never said I can't have them...and I might have them once every 18 months or so (generally at a really good steak house). But, as a general rule, as long as I have a substitute for them, I really don't mind or miss them. They used to be OMG I LOVE THEM good, and now they're just kind of meh. I think that if you truly decide to "give up" a food, it has to be because you have found something that you can learn to enjoy just as much. Replacing is much easier than eliminating.

baker23
01-12-2012, 06:09 PM
"I eat the steamed chicken and broccoli (plain/no salt/no sugar, found on the "diet section") and either make my own sauce or drizzle it with a teeny bit of the brown sauce they provide with it. Simple solution to still eat Chinese. I sometimes throw out the rice and eat just the meat/veg."

Thats a GREAT suggestion. I didn't even know they had a diet menu 0.o I'm going to hit one of the places this weekend...GAHH you have no idea how excited I am now =D

Vex
01-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Nope, haven't given up anything. There are things I have not eaten that I may have in the past, but I wouldn't necessarily say never again to them.

I find anyway that many of my favorite things have a lighter version that might just be as good.

For example, instead of having take out pizza, I have a lean cuisine one. Yeah it's not deep dish loaded with cheese take out, but still pretty dang good.

makingthechanges
01-12-2012, 09:06 PM
I'd have said before that fast food was my favorite, and I have given it up. But I've come to realize it wasn't that I loved the food so much, I loved the instant gratification, the act of eating it... it's hard to explain but it doesn't have the hold over me it used to have.

I still love burgers & fries and will once in a great while eat them in small portions when out at a real restaurant if I really really crave it- but I don't think I'll ever have Burger King or McD's, anything like that again.

I've learned that a lot of my previous food choices weren't so much about food as they were about mindless eating, doing something I told myself was a reward. The rewards from staying on track are so satisfying that those other urges are not really there, so I can't say I'm really resisting them. For daily life, I like all the foods I'm eating so I don't really feel deprived.

PrincessSophia
01-12-2012, 09:11 PM
nothing. I just try to control what I eat. Even soda, I can drink some once in a while.

leftoverqueen
01-12-2012, 09:26 PM
I agree with a lot of you, if I gave up too many of my favorite foods I'd go crazy and fall off the wagon for sure! I picked one thing to give up forever and it's mac n' cheese.. I used to eat it 3-4 times per week. I will never go back there!

Glory87
01-12-2012, 09:30 PM
What a fascinating question. I gave up a lot of foods I would have said were my favorite foods, but I turned out not to miss them much at all.

Foods I definitely gave up: cream-based sauces, stuff like Bloomin' onions/chili cheese fries (restaurant appetizer calorie bombs), fast food fries/burgers, packaged baked goods (like Thin Mints or Oreos or honey buns), venti full fat lattes with whip from Starbucks

Foods I severely limit/restrict/reserve for special occasions - ice cream, baked goods, cereal (hard for me to stop eating), chips/tortilla chips, pretzels, fried foods like calamari (looove but only indulge as occasional treats), donuts (probably less than a dozen in 7 years), scones (same), muffins (same), restaurant desserts, birthday cake (has to be a REAL special occasion not a work baby shower for some chick on another floor I don't even know)

Foods I moderately limit - cheese, dark chocolate, wine, peanut butter

I was never much of a soda drinker (gives me the hiccups) so I didn't have to give up soda. I had a lot of bad habits and that wasn't one of them.

The toughest part about giving up foods is that it can make my life difficult with other people. I'm the annoying coworker that doesn't want to go to a burger place, the annoying wife that doesn't want to order pizza on a Friday night. Otherwise, it's not so bad. I had my whole life to eat whatever I wanted to eat and I found that food did not make me happy. Being a slender, energetic, healthy size 6 - that makes me happy.

friaya
01-12-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm like 1/8 italian And OMG I love Pastas!!!! Pizza, lasagna...you name it..I LOVE IT. There was a time when I used to eat a piza every 2 days. T.T I's been a month since I ate a pizza. Soda another one I used to drink 1 even 2 daily :s

Huzzahforska
01-12-2012, 11:17 PM
I haven't given anything up, really. I eat less of the things I know are terrible for me to be eating, like pizza. I only eat it once a month or so now instead of once a week.. and my fiance and I order a small and I only eat a couple of pieces tops. I actually learned on this forum that when I feel like over-indulging that I just need to remind myself that it's not the last time I'm ever going to get to eat *this* particular food and that I can wait until the next time it's available to enjoy it again. That little tidbit has really helped me since I work in a candy store.
I still struggle with a few foods, and as I'm getting more serious about my weight loss I'm noticing that I'm enjoying a lot of my guilty pleasures a lot less.

ringmaster
01-12-2012, 11:45 PM
does making a substitute count? It's hard to give up somethings, like pizza, but it's easier to to not eat it so often if I can have a low calorie healthy substitute.

I can't really think of any particular food that I have given up 100%. Maybe burgers and meat, when I was a kid I used to love burgers from restaurants and fast food places but then I stopped eating red meat, but it wasn't for weight loss reasons. I'll still easily eat fries though!

shcirerf
01-12-2012, 11:57 PM
I have not given up anything. Some things, I've found healthier versions for, some things I still eat, rarely, but still work them in to my plan.

knoxie
01-13-2012, 02:42 AM
I gave up soda completely because I could happily drink 3 or 4 cans a day and hated the taste of diet versions. I thought I'd go crazy without it but I don't miss it at all, except when I eat a food that I would usually have eaten with a soda (like pizza or fries) so I don't eat those right now either!

As for my favourite food, chocolate, I couldn't and wouldn't want to give it up completely. I don't eat it every day or every other day but at least once a week. I think I'd feel deprived and want it more if I thought I couldn't have any.

Lori Bell
01-13-2012, 07:17 AM
I gave up several beverages, wine, beer, whisky, rum, regular pop. I gave them all up because they all have a ton of calories and wine, (my favorite) has a butt load of sugar. I also gave up fast food. I haven't had any in almost 4 years and have maintained a 190 pound weight loss in the process. In the past, I was like some of you guys and thought there was no way in h*ll I would give up my favorites...(like booze ice cream and pizza) Every time I'd eat even a little of that stuff it would trigger cravings and I'd suffer unbearably until I'd eat my fix to the max. So, needless to say, every time I'd lose weight, I'd start picking at trigger foods and before you know it I'd put all the weight back on quickly and usually double.

This time, even with the..."deprivation"...I've kept a massive amount of weight off for 2.5 years. That is a record for me, heck, that might be a record for 95% of all overweight people in the world.

I think maybe Glory and I are a little a like when I say, I rather be a healthy size 6 than eat/drink crap just because I don't want to feel deprived. I ate/ drank what I wanted for years, I've had my fill. I keep going because I like a healthy trim body WAYYYY better that the quick fix of a Number 1 or a glass of wine (which would turn into a bottle or 2 for me). ;)

Italiannie
01-13-2012, 07:45 AM
I practice Intermittent Fasting, so I haven't given up anything, but I do "pass" on things all the time, as my wants and needs have changed. I'm a foodie, so I've never really eaten too many junk foods anyway - just overindulged. My favorites - breads and pasta, I do eat far less of them, but give them up? Never!

My level of being satisfied has changed completely. I think this should happen with any good plan.

stimkovs
01-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Foods I definitely gave up: , packaged baked goods (like Thin Mints or Oreos or honey buns). want to know somehting funnny?? i live off thin mints/ mint pattys. they come pre-packaged and i can have exactly one (ex: pearson's mint patty, calorie bomb it at a measely 30 cals and keep on going). it's my one candy treat at work.

Foods I severely limit/restrict/reserve for special occasions - birthday cake
- can't say no to a birthday cake, even if it's for a chick on another floor that ive never seen in my life. hasn't killed the diet yet ahah.

Foods I moderately limit - cheese, dark chocolate, peanut butter - all 3 of these are now my staples.

- it's wierd how one persons restrict list is on anothers TO EAT list huh?

just shows how individual our bodies are!

aliasihaya
01-13-2012, 08:32 AM
I'm so all over this thread. I LOVE PASTA! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. Now that I'm diabetic and really working hard to keep a low carb diet, pasta is gone in the short term. And my cravings are massive this week. I really want it so bad. And I don't really want to give it up forever. So I've told myself that if I can make it through the next week, all low carb, then I can go out for a pasta dinner. The only thing that worries me is that will it put me in a tail spin to getting out of control again? I'm not sure. It will be a true test. But I really don't want to deprive myself forever of the things that I love. I just want to learn to eat them moderately within my new lifestyle. I'm not quite there yet. :-)

caryesings
01-13-2012, 08:50 AM
I finally gave up candy as of April 2005. I ate up to a pound a day. It was ****. I know there are people who say after x days or weeks they no longer want a particular food. Not me. It was 4 years before I felt I had finally conquered the candy cravings and only THEN started attempting to lose weight.

I truly think that was the secret to my success, seperating breaking up with a food from "dieting". At times I was literally pacing the floors to keep myself from going out for candy. But at least I wasn't hungry as I denied myself nothing else in any amount. So despite giving up that much sugar, I did not lose a single pound. BUT I would not have been able to lose weight 4 years later if the candy monkey had still been on my back.

Satellites
01-13-2012, 09:13 AM
the only food i've given up completely... double cheeseburgers at macdonalds. i just can't justify them :(

however, my other kryptonite foods (chocolate, ice cream, delicious breads and cheeses) i haven't given up. i just eat them a lot less now. i haven't eaten chocolate in a while.. i've gone to pick it up, then looked at the calorie content and waged an internal war with myself before thinking "considering how much i am stressing over this right now, it's not even worth eating because i won't enjoy it" and put it down. i guess i just wait for a time i can really congratulate myself or just say no, i deserve it, instead of eating it whenever. like over christmas, i ate some.. because it's christmas! (i also ate cheesecake! delicious). and my birthday is coming up and i will have some. but otherwise, no.
bread i just eat in moderation, because i love it and refuse to give it up. i love grain breads though so i'm happy to eat them. cheese, i make sure i eat a weighed amount of and not very often, although i like cheeses from the parmesan family (like pecorino) so they tend to be less fatty anyway because they aren't made with the same stuff as creamy cheeses.

also, i hate normal soft drinks so i've only ever had diet soft drink, but i have cut down on the amount i drink (just a glass or two a day)

carter
01-13-2012, 09:21 AM
In reading all of these posts, I am starting to feel like there is more a difference in philosophy or terminology than a difference in actual practice.

Some people say "I have given up _____ completely." But, even those people sometimes slip up, or make a considered choice, to indulge in one of those forbidden items every once in a while. So while they are thinking of it in terms of "giving up _____", in practice they have (say) 99% given it up.

Other people say, "I haven't given up anything completely, but I now eat _____ only extremely rarely." I am one of those people. I won't say anything is forbidden to me, but as a practical matter there are some things that I eat vanishingly rarely. There are some things I have not eaten a single time since I started my plan more than two years ago! So even though I won't say "I've given up ______", as a practical matter I really have given up _______. I've given it up to the exact same degree as someone who does put it those terms.

The difference is in how we mentally approach those foods, or how we verbalize our mental approach. It is not a difference in actual practice of how frequently or not we eat them.

Rana
01-13-2012, 10:12 AM
I just remembered that I gave up a couple of other things too that I never thought I would:

- Pasta!
- Alcohol!

I gave up pasta because it's too many carbs for my PCOS/IR body. I never thought I would, it was an easy meal to make for me after work, but now, I only eat it when I go to a very specific Italian restaurant that I loved that tastes just like the pasta in Italy. I rarely go there, so maybe I eat there 2 or 3 times a year.

And as for alcohol, I discovered that drinking wine (my fav) only made me lose weight even SLOWER than what I normally lose, so I gave it up (because a friend would give it up when she was dieting).

I thought I would miss it, but I don't.

Now, I drink about once a year.

PixieChix
01-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Sugar is my nemesis. I seem to lack whatever gene enables people to be moderate in their intake of it. When I try to explain it to people, I say that my craving for sugar is like a very small fire. But if I eat any of it, it's like adding a bunch of lighter fluid to the fire: the cravings flame out of control. So, for me, it's best not to eat it at all. I find that after about three days, the cravings die away. Unfortunately, after a few weeks or months, they sometimes attack with vengeance. I get tired of fighting the cravings, so I give in and the cycle starts again. It's exhausting. It's such a part of my life that my husband will ask me, "Are you on or off the sugar wagon?" But I know that I feel 100% better when I am off it and don't usually miss it.

I've learned that a lot of my previous food choices weren't so much about food as they were about mindless eating, doing something I told myself was a reward.

You know, it's interesting how often I tell myself that I will reward or "treat" myself to something yummy when I'm stressed or something bad has happened. The other day, after a painful mammogram, I told myself I would treat myself to a Starbuck's hot chocolate. But when I thought about it, I decided it's weird to call something a "treat" that is full of fat and sugar. That's not "treating" my body. I've got to find new ways of rewarding myself besides indulging in foods that are mostly bad for me. It's a mental paradigm shift.

Sunshine73
01-13-2012, 11:01 AM
I haven't given up my favorite foods 100% because that would imply that I never slip up and I do, on occasion, slip up. However, can say that I have all but eliminated:

Pasta
Soda
Potatoes

The soda was tricky because it was my "treat" - the problem was I treated myself everyday. :dizzy: Now I have unsweetened iced tea.

Pasta and potatoes had to slip to the side as well since I've discovered low carb seems to be the only way that my body can shed the pounds. Not gonna lie - these are my favorites and they were wicked hard to give up. Wicked hard. There were times that my inner three year old wanted to throw a literal temper tantrum because my inner adult kept telling her no potatoes and no pasta.

I think in the last year I have had potatoes maybe twice (up from a few times a week) and pasta - well, I don't think I've had pasta in the last year. So I guess I did give that one up 100%.

For me the trick was finding other foods that gave me some of the same texture/taste sensation while still staying on plan. Smashed cauliflower is a nice substitute for mashed potatoes and spaghetti squash is an amazing sub for pasta.

Munchy
01-13-2012, 11:45 AM
For pasta, I'm not nuts about it, but I just like the idea of a big bowl covered with sauce. I like to weigh out and cook my 2oz of whole wheat pasta, and separately saute sliced onions, peppers, a lot of mushrooms and a huge handful of baby spinach, then mix that into sauce with the pasta. It's filling, and works with my meal plan. In the summer I like to do ribbons of zucchini and squash mixed with my pasta.

If I'm really craving pizza, I use flatout (http://www.flatoutbread.com/products/flatout-wraps/flatout-light/), crisp it on the grill or in the oven, cover it with my toppings (always a lot of veggies), and use a measured amount of reduced fat cheese. I have an entire pizza for under 300 calories, sometimes under 200. My personal favorite is buffalo chicken pizza: 2T blue cheese dressing (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/04/low-fat-creamy-blue-cheese-dressing.html) mixed with frank's red hot and sriracha spread onto the flatout, some chicken, mushrooms, spinach, 1-2T blue cheese, baked then topped with fresh oregano. My mom loves when I make her a breakfast version with egg whites, veggies, chopped up homemade turkey breakfast sausage or turkey bacon, and an oz of cheese. I always top it with scallions - it makes a substantial breakfast for around 200 calories.

willbeayummymummy
01-13-2012, 11:46 AM
I have given up cheese, I good eat cheese until it comes out of my ears!! missing it alot but it will be worth it all in the end.x

Tai
01-13-2012, 12:33 PM
I gave up fast food and haven't had any in almost five years. I'm not the type who could be happy eating it in moderation.

It also really helped that I could eat way more in terms of volume if I made different choices.

I've never really thought of it as deprivation; really more of a trade off.

gagalu
01-13-2012, 02:28 PM
i gave up french fries and pizza after i initially started my weight loss plan. i've now slowly incorporated those things back into my diet as i've developed the proper mindset for eating them. i haven't binged in a very long time!

Enriquesgirl2
01-13-2012, 02:53 PM
I gave up drinking cold turkey. I think that was one of the reasons I gained so much weight. I have been sober since the day after New Years. Not a lot of time but a start, That is what I guess I have to do change my life style

kait628
01-13-2012, 04:05 PM
I've had to avoid or eat rarely a few of my favorites because if I go near them, it will lead to a binge. So, no or very little pasta, ice cream and bread for me until I can control myself around them :(

Snoofie
01-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Not only did I not give up my favourite food -- I didn't give up anything. If I want it, I have it. The key for me is knowing my limits and controlling my portions.

linJber
01-13-2012, 05:34 PM
There is only one thing that I really love that I have not had in the (exactly one year to the day today) time since I started "dieting."

I am like most of the rest of you. I have severely cut back on carbs. For example - I have not ordered a pizza in the past year, and I used to eat pizza at least once a week. But my dad is in a nursing home and loves it when we all visit at the same time and bring pizza, so when we do that, I'll have some. Pasta, bread, potatoes, and rice fall into a similar category. I used to eat them several times a week. (My normal diet was very carb heavy.) Now I almost never fix them for myself but will have them if someone else is serving them. Same with candy and junk food like chips and pretzels.

In the past year I haven't had fast food at all - no McDonalds, BK, Taco Bell, Wendy's, KFC, Arby's, stuff like that. Not really difficult because I didn't eat much fast food anyway. There is one thing I have wondered and fantasized about, but resisted 100%, and it is my favorite breakfast bagel from a local convenience store. A full size bagel with a sausage patty, peppers, hot cheese, and eggs. It's at our "Country Fair" stores (Citgo gas stations) and is called the "Southwest Breakfast Bagel." Just typing this makes me want one! What has stopped me is not the fact that it's probably 1000 calories (no big deal in the whole scheme of things, really) but the fact that it would probably make me physically ill to eat one now. A whole one, anyway. And I'm sure I wouldn't stop at a couple bites, even knowing what it would do to my digestion. They are SOOOO good! LOL.

I am eternally grateful for a couple diet-related things: 1 - that I got heavy because I love to eat in general and not because I eat for comfort and / or psychological reasons. And 2 - I'm not a picky eater so everything is good to eat in my opinion. I'm just eating different things than before. As I type this, I'm eating some homemade veggie beef soup. A year ago I'd also be eating half a loaf (or more) of crusty bread with it.

I also employ the "maybe next time" technique. It works most of the time! LOL. Very interesting thread.

Lin

gardenerjoy
01-13-2012, 07:41 PM
I gave up donuts, although I didn't set out to. I set out to curtail trans fats and donuts got caught up in the mix. The thing about donuts, though, was I continued to have cravings for them for months on end. When the cravings finally went away, I decided never again on donuts because who wants to go through that twice?

I also gave up potato chips. Also, not quite intentionally. They disappeared as I changed my behaviors and, eventually, I realized that I no longer wanted one serving of chips. One chip doesn't even taste good -- way too salty. I still want, sometimes, an obscene amount of chips but I don't do that any more. So chips are about quantity for me and I don't do quantity any more. (Pretty much the alcoholic's lament of one is too many and a thousand is never enough). My only exception is house-made chips at bars and restaurants -- I find I can eat two or three of those and be happy to leave the rest.

berryblondeboys
01-13-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm a baker and I've given up most carbs - especially breads and simple sugar carbs... Yep a break bake and cake decorator and cookie maker who doesn't eat those things any more... And I really miss a nice slice of homemade bread still hot from the oven! But my blood sugars and cravings can't take it. So I gave them up.

ennay
01-14-2012, 12:54 AM
For the most part I see people talk about giving up foods...but were they really your FAVORITE?

I've for the most part tried to give up foods that AREN'T my favorite. No need to choke down something I dont like no matter how "healthy" it might be, because I havent noticed it reduces my appetite for the stuff I like at all.

But more, because I really dont dislike many healthy food, I try to really like the higher calorie foods that I eat. So, no I dont eat birthday cake...I think buttercream frosting is vile and I only ever ate it because it was there and I was supposed to like it. Most donuts...meh. Plain potato chips...meh. Take or leave. Cheap ice cream, lowfat ice cream, sugar free anything. Why bother.

But I did have a divine cheeseburger and real fries last week (not fast food crap, real potatoes cooked in GASP animal fat. )

Beach Patrol
01-14-2012, 06:29 AM
Wow, you know, I didn't realize it until just now, but I pretty much have given up chocolate candy. No more Snickers. No Kit-Kats, no Twix bars, etc.

When I get in the mood for chocolate, I want REAL chocolate. I have a co-worker who is from Germany & quite often travels back & forth. He always brings me a nice piece of German chocolate. I used to devour something like that in a matter of minutes. Now I can make one piece last for dayssssss.

I'm very proud of that NSV!! :D

sontaikle
01-14-2012, 06:36 AM
Wow, you know, I didn't realize it until just now, but I pretty much have given up chocolate candy. No more Snickers. No Kit-Kats, no Twix bars, etc.

When I get in the mood for chocolate, I want REAL chocolate. I have a co-worker who is from Germany & quite often travels back & forth. He always brings me a nice piece of German chocolate. I used to devour something like that in a matter of minutes. Now I can make one piece last for dayssssss.

I'm very proud of that NSV!! :D

ooo this is me. I only eat the good stuff now. Why waste the calories on crap? :D

gonnabfitmom
01-14-2012, 08:45 AM
I've given up several of my most loved foods. Cheeseburgers, pizza, fries, big, soft chocolate chip cookies, most sweets. I've tried to find substitues for my faves so that I don't feel *so* deprived. For instance, instead of cheeseburgers I do veggie burgers and dress them up so that I can't tell the difference, instead of my fave papa johns pizza I make my own with a whole wheat crust and tons of veggies. If I want something sweet I have a little sherbet or a small fat free ice cream cone or frozen yogurt. Or maybe I try to work it into my cals for the day. The last two days I've had a chocolate chip muffin for snack and at 220 calories it didn't ruin my day.

But mostly, I have just said 'no'. I had my whole life to eat whatever my little heart desired--and where did it get me? A complete doughball. It's high time I start telling myself 'no'. The more I eat the foods the more I want them. It's too hard just to have a 'little' of something and not want more. I know if I eat a *few* chips I will want the whole bag. If I eat just two cookies, I will want the whole pan. It just doesn't work. The only thing I haven't been able to give up completely are reeses pb cups. They are my ultimate favorite food. But I'm working on it.

Gabe
01-14-2012, 09:41 AM
I haven't given up anything that I'd call a favorite, but then I never really had an absolute favorite. Some things that I like a lot, I haven't given up. I love Cheetos, for instance. Well, cheese puffs; not the crunchy kind, and generic are better. I've had small amounts of them pretty consistently from the start. Same with fresh-baked bread and all manner of cheese.

Other things I haven't had since I've started, even though they're not forbidden to me. Stuffed-crust pizza, Big Apple Bagels, Fifth Avenue bars--those are things that I really love, but that I haven't found to be worth the calories. If you'd asked me months ago, I'd've told you that I couldn't live without them; turns not, that's not the case.

I calorie count, so I can have whatever I want, as long as it fits in with my limit. The thing is, I have to live with the consequences, and I've found that those foods simply aren't worth it.

d130
01-14-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm another one who hasn't given up any favourites - I'd sooner die then give up my Chinese food! :D

I just have to eat smaller portions of them, or sometimes change what I order so I can still indulge but not have quite as much damage calorie-wise.

The only foods I try to avoid are sour cream & onion Pringlers & Doritos - I love them too much. I've always known I had a soft spot for them, so I can't keep them in the house because they disappear and this past Christmas proved me right. I managed to eat an entire tube of Pringles in less then 24 hours; I've eaten one in one sitting before, but I hadn't had Pringles since changing my eating habits and it looks like they're still off limits to me. :)

berryblondeboys
01-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Other things I haven't had since I've started, even though they're not forbidden to me. Stuffed-crust pizza, Big Apple Bagels, Fifth Avenue bars--those are things that I really love, but that I haven't found to be worth the calories. If you'd asked me months ago, I'd've told you that I couldn't live without them; turns not, that's not the case.

I calorie count, so I can have whatever I want, as long as it fits in with my limit. The thing is, I have to live with the consequences, and I've found that those foods simply aren't worth it.

This is what I do with most things, I just have to be careful about simple carbs because of blood sugar issues if I eat high carb. But yesterday is a good example of what you are talking about. I had a good breakfast and then started running errands and was running a round through lunch. By 2:45 I was starving, but, I still had more and I was really craving a bacon cheeseburger and fries (for some reason, potatoes don't elevate my blood sugar levels). I have an app on my phone that count calories, so I knew if I ate that meal (medium size without the bread on the sandwich) that t it would eat up my remaining calories for the day. I had to make a choice. And that is what I did, te the buger and fries for a late lunch/early dinners and just ate a super small green salad for dinner for negligible calories (no dressing, just a bit of balsamic vinegar).