Old 01-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197.5/143.2/145

Height: 5' 8"

Default Ketosis Question

I'm in my first week, and am in Ketosis. I know from past low-carb experience, my breath becomes way unacceptable. I've used breath strips and spray, but. am wondering if there's any other advice out there. Thanks in advance!
MaMaZu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Now just about to start my 4th month on IP I've found my breath seems not so horrible, although I always keep the sugar free mints close by just in case. I love being in ketosis - I love the extra energy!
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 268/258.5/150

Height: 5'7"

I've seen several people talk about ketosis. How do you know you're in ketosis?
segosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 254/246.3/150

Height: 5'7"

One of the more noticeable ketosis symptoms is the onset of bad breath. Remember how ketosis causes a build-up of acetone in the blood? Well, your body will try to get rid of excess amounts of acetone through the lungs.

As you exhale, you're left with an odd, "fruity" smell, that can resemble the smell of alcohol.

Other symptoms of ketosis that are seen quite regularly are:
•Fatigue, feeling sleepy and/or having trouble getting to sleep
•Nausea, abdominal pain
•Muscle aches and pains
•Excessive thirst
•Headache and dizziness
tammycorkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/225/140

Height: 5'3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMaZu View Post
I'm in my first week, and am in Ketosis. I know from past low-carb experience, my breath becomes way unacceptable. I've used breath strips and spray, but. am wondering if there's any other advice out there. Thanks in advance!

You could get some cloves, and carry some with you, just pop one in and chew on it a little.
rissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197.5/143.2/145

Height: 5' 8"

Thanks guys, I just remember years ago on Atkins my breath was unbearable for those around me, so just checking to see if anyone had any new ideas. Hoping that IP may have a less drastic effect.
MaMaZu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #7  
INACTIVE

You can also go to the diabetic section or pharmacy at stores like Walmart and get a package of Ketostix. There is a little color chart inside the box that tells you if you are expelling trace amounts, small, moderate or severe. I go anywhere from trace to moderate--call your dr. if you hit the severe zone.
SomedayBubblySomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammycorkum View Post
One of the more noticeable ketosis symptoms is the onset of bad breath. Remember how ketosis causes a build-up of acetone in the blood? Well, your body will try to get rid of excess amounts of acetone through the lungs.

As you exhale, you're left with an odd, "fruity" smell, that can resemble the smell of alcohol.

Other symptoms of ketosis that are seen quite regularly are:
•Fatigue, feeling sleepy and/or having trouble getting to sleep
•Nausea, abdominal pain
•Muscle aches and pains
•Excessive thirst
•Headache and dizziness
This is kind of funny because I would call my breath when I realized I was in ketosis as a "fruity" smell. Also I feel great, tons more energy. This list reads more like how I felt going through withdrawal before ketosis.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 174/172/125

Height: 5'3"

I am in my second week and for those of you that have been on IP for a while, I have a question..........It looks like some posts show that in the later weeks that they are loosing 1-3 lbs a week. Are they really sticking with it or cheating a little? I was under the assumption that it should be more like 3-7lbs if you stick to it by the book. Thanks!!
2sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #10  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sweetpeas View Post
I am in my second week and for those of you that have been on IP for a while, I have a question..........It looks like some posts show that in the later weeks that they are loosing 1-3 lbs a week. Are they really sticking with it or cheating a little? I was under the assumption that it should be more like 3-7lbs if you stick to it by the book. Thanks!!
It is said to be an average of 3-5lbs a week but it doesn't say over how long of a period of time. I have stuck to the program now 36 weeks not cheating my average is 3.30 per week. I have had some weeks where I have loss a pound and there has been 2 weeks where I gained a pound each. Your body does crazy thinks and you never know what its going to do weight wise day to day. I just let the program work its magic. I am ok with losing one pound every now and then, I fell amazing and I am looking much better than what I did before. As long as I am happy and losing at any rate, I am OK with that.
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #11  
Started IP 1/25/12

S/C/G: 221/ticker/180

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
This is kind of funny because I would call my breath when I realized I was in ketosis as a "fruity" smell. Also I feel great, tons more energy. This list reads more like how I felt going through withdrawal before ketosis.
LOL I wish my ketosis breath was even semi-fruity. It smells like something alright but it ain't fruit.
geminezmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 157

Height: 5'4"

Drink lots of water, keep sugar free mints handy and keep in mind that it's the smell of you getting thinner!
Harmothoe is offline   Reply With Quote