Weight Loss Support - Where the F are you supposed to buy belts?

Rapunzel
01-10-2012, 09:26 PM
I've lost 20 pounds. Yay!
I need a new belt. Double yay! It's like a landmark!
My husband and I went to FIVE different stores today looking for a belt for me, and failed. Target, Sears, JC Penny's, Shopko, and Fred Meyer's. None of them had belts that fit me. Talk about a slap in the face! I'm pretty sure the belt I've been using must've been bought in the men's department or something, and I'm going to have to cut or drill new holes in it soon (which I know is a good thing, but I'm still bitter). I'm 5'1" and 187 pounds. That's not so extreme that I shouldn't be able to find a stupid belt!

I talked to my twin about this and she agrees....women's fashion is all about fashion anymore, rather than any sense of function. Women wear belts to show them off and accent their clothing. I guess we aren't supposed to wear them to hold our pants up? We also had a whole conversation about the stigma of overweight men versus overweight women, but that's for another time I think.

My husband couldn't believe it.....why is there only an inch added in between sizes? And WHY are they sized as small, medium, large, etc... when ours (mens) are sized like their pants, so you already know if it'll fit or not? (my husband wears, a size 34 pants, so he has a size 32-36 belt. easy.)

He just cannot understand women's clothing sizes and the constant need for me to try everything on instead of just buying it off the rack because the size claims to be this or that. Welcome to my world, buddy.

What are some of YOUR clothing frustrations? I could go on and on! Pants, bras, tops, skirts.........

CherryQuinn
01-10-2012, 09:35 PM
everything. my torso is long, my legs are long, im wide with a flat butt and a big chest. clothes aren't made for me, im a mutant lol ive had the same belt for ..9 yrs going on 10 and its quite useless as well. but i can't find one in my size . skirts are uber pain. they show the model with the skirt and im like ok that will cover all my girl bits, get the skirt, nope doesnt cover my girl bits :( my bf doesnt think this is a problem tho lol

makingthechanges
01-10-2012, 09:40 PM
About a year ago I tried on a pair of jeans and they fit so I bought them, and another pair by the same designer, same style, different color, without trying on the black pair. The black pair was too tight- not just a little, but I seriously could not wear them comfortably.

I've had the same thing happen with bras.

PS I bought my last belt at Marshall's- I had to do some picking to find one bigger around than my thigh, but I did find a good one for only $12.

shishkeberry
01-10-2012, 09:45 PM
I have problems with jeans. I cannot find jeans that are the right length. They're always too long and then I end up walking on them and they get all torn up and frayed. Ugh. I hate being short and fat.

CherryQuinn
01-10-2012, 09:47 PM
I have problems with jeans. I cannot find jeans that are the right length. They're always too long and then I end up walking on them and they get all torn up and frayed. Ugh. I hate being short and fat.

im tall and fat lol all my pants end up as capris

Crazy Newfie Jen
01-10-2012, 10:08 PM
im tall and fat lol all my pants end up as capris

Haha I know that feeling! I find it super hard to buy tall plus pants!

loose seal
01-10-2012, 10:09 PM

I have this problem too. Kohl's sells Lee jeans in petite and I find that these seem to fit me the best. I'm persimmon shaped . . . or kumquat or something, just not pear shaped so I need jeans to fit me in the waist and the legs are usually looser. If I buy them to fit in the leg there's no way they'd fit in the waist. I buy the boot cut, 'rests at natural waist' fit (they sit below my bellybutton but not way far down on my lower hips) and the length is almost perfect. . . I just have to turn them up the depth of the hem, which is about an inch.

SLIMplicity
01-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Hi, I would try a store that sells to plus size women. Here in Ontario we have "Addition Elle" and penningtons. Not sure if you have those stores near where you live.
I found a good belt at Addition elle.
Oh and I totally agree about woman clothes..the sizing sucks..I don't even know what a true size 14 or 16 is anymore.. I think they should just make labelling illegal for all girls and womens clothing..that way we can just try it all on..we are going to anyway..and it would help with self-image issues.. none of this "GOTTA be a size 0-4_ whatever..:dizzy:

CherryQuinn
01-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Haha I know that feeling! I find it super hard to buy tall plus pants!

especially in st johns lol

shcirerf
01-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Women's clothing sizes are insane.

For jeans, I sometimes hit the mens dept. and buy by waist and length. Amazingly, a lot of them look great. Wal-Marts, mens, el cheapo Faded Glory jeans rock. You can buy them by waist and length and they actually snug up to your butt and look great! Plus they are as tough as iron. I have several pairs. And they come in a variety of shades of blue and solid black.

For belts, maybe try a western/cowboy/farm supply store. They can be a bit more forgiving and cowboys like embellished belts. I know, my whole family is cowboys.

The Fort Western Wear, is a great place to shop online for stuff, reasonable prices too. A cowboy store, but lots of options. For women, Cinch and Cruel Girl jeans are great. Have lots of them. Also there customer service is great. Been ordering there for a long time. IMHO there sizing in Cruel Girl and Cinch actually runs a little more true. I can wear a 9/10 or 11/12 depending on style. I see women here my height and weight who say they are 2 or 4 or 6. Not in cowgirl jeans.

For short girls, you can always hem your pants. For tall girls, ask about special orders.

Don't even get me started on finding a proper bra! *faints dead away* I actually went and got measured in a bra store, with supposed experts. Told me I was a 34c. ROFLMAO! In a 34c I'd look like I worked in the red light district! I'm a 36DD in most, but depends. Just gotta try them on.

Anyway, I hear ya on buying clothes. It bites!

shanhat81
01-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Surprisingly, Talbots has good belts.

Beach Patrol
01-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Target, Sears, JC Penny's, Shopko, and Fred Meyer's. None of them had belts that fit me.

Huh. I just bought about 7 belts a few weeks ago- from Sears & Stein Mart, & they all fit wonderfully. Good luck in your belt hunt! - I know how hard it can be to find something that fits when you are in mid-weight-loss mode!

Aclai4067
01-11-2012, 09:55 AM
My latest clothing rant is jeans. Jeans in departments stores are too short. Lane Bryant jeans are big in the thigh if they fit in the waist or small in the waist if they fit in the thigh. Torrid is opposite, if the waist fits, the upper thigh/lower butt is too small (and I do not have a proportionally big butt, at all!). If the thighs/butt fit, the waist has an extra 2 inches.

Apparently a big girl having big thighs AND a big waist is just unheard of!

LisaJean
01-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Yeah, belts are very much a non-functional item these days. Sometimes I have to wear two--one for looks (outside the shirt) and one to actually hold my pants up!

Anyway, for a good functional belt to wear with jeans or whatever, I went to Nordstrom online. I found a nice leather one for about $20, and they have sizing charts for each item. Plus, Nordstrom allows FREE returns if you get the wrong size. Or do what I do when I'm not sure--buy two sizes at the same time and send one back.

Rapunzel
01-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Thank you for the suggestions ladies! Some of the stores you've suggested I haven't even heard of, and I know they aren't in the town I just visited (1.5 hours away), but they will probably be in Salt Lake City (2.5 hours) and I'll be making a trip there next month! I've been to Torrid before but haven't seen most of the other stores....or maybe I have and I just didn't know because I wasn't paying attention!

osaunt
01-11-2012, 12:35 PM
If you're looking for a functional belt, you might what to check out the isabelt or invisibelt on Amazon. They are not pretty, but they really work:) They are made of clear plastic, with a flat clasp and they're intended for using under a shirt. I think they're a little expensive for what they are, but I have used this belt through multiple size changes and it allows me to wear a pair of pants/jeans much longer then I would be able to otherwise, so it think it's worth it.

InsideMe
01-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Ok I'm a theif. Shhhh don't tell anyone....but I found my favourite belt at Winners! I was buying a pair of jeans I loved but I didn't like the belt. I loved a belt on another pair of jeans but didn't like the jeans....ummmm so I swapped the belts! But with the lack of belts in the area I did what I had to do!! I still bought the jeans!

d130
01-11-2012, 03:28 PM
My belts come from the men's department. :D I've never had good luck finding functional belts in the women's section, so my latest one is a Fossil belt that I got at Nordstrom or Macy's a few years ago. I'm going to have to find a smaller one at some point, but this one is still in good shape, and just needs a few more holes punched into it.

Jeans - don't get me started. I finally found the perfect brand at Pacsun and they've started discontinuing them. Grrr - I'm a shortie, so it's such a pain to find a pair that has a 30" inseam. I don't mind getting work pants hemmed, but jeans annoy me for some reason.

Munchy
01-11-2012, 04:01 PM
My belts come from the men's department. :D I've never had good luck finding functional belts in the women's section, so my latest one is a Fossil belt that I got at Nordstrom or Macy's a few years ago. I'm going to have to find a smaller one at some point, but this one is still in good shape, and just needs a few more holes punched into it.

Jeans - don't get me started. I finally found the perfect brand at Pacsun and they've started discontinuing them. Grrr - I'm a shortie, so it's such a pain to find a pair that has a 30" inseam. I don't mind getting work pants hemmed, but jeans annoy me for some reason.

The Express Editor in denim is the perfect jean - comes in short and is flattering on just about everyone!

d130
01-11-2012, 04:08 PM
The Express Editor in denim is the perfect jean - comes in short and is flattering on just about everyone!

Ooh, might have to have a look on Ebay for some of those then - thanks for that! :D

ItsMyTurn
01-11-2012, 05:47 PM
When I was in plus sizing -my body is the reason Torrid does big waist and little going down. I have NO HIP, like none... little butt... and try to buy pants that fit when I was like that?? If they fit the waist at most stores, then they were like a parachute on the rest of me - I was grateful Torrid had some stuff that was business-appropriate and not all denim :) Also... I always seemed to have good luck at Macy's clearance sales.
Now... fortunately I am able to do junior's sized pants (designed for girls before hips, or... those who never got any, lol). Much easier to get things to fit.

P.S. for belts that were stylish and functional - I always got mine at Torrid, Lane Bryant, and JC Penny (totally shocked you hit there and missed). Other stores had my size, but they didn't serve to be very functional, or were super skinny in make so was worried they would cut into me when I sat... again... big mid-riff girl here, :lol:

retiredone
01-11-2012, 08:00 PM
I want to know why the larger the sweater/coat, etc. the longer the sleeves? No one should have longer arms because they weigh more this year than last.

Aclai4067
01-11-2012, 08:52 PM
I want to know why the larger the sweater/coat, etc. the longer the sleeves? No one should have longer arms because they weigh more this year than last.

I find that when i have this issue, it's not the actual sleeves that they made long, but rather they made the shoulders really wide, and the seam where the sleeve starts is half-way down my bicep.

stimkovs
01-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Women's clothing sizes are insane.

Don't even get me started on finding a proper bra! *faints dead away* I actually went and got measured in a bra store, with supposed experts. Told me I was a 34c. ROFLMAO! In a 34c I'd look like I worked in the red light district! I'm a 36DD in most, but depends. Just gotta try them on.

HAHAHAHA I almost dropped dead.

i wear a 34 DD or a 36 DD depending on cut.

I recently got measured.

apparently im a 38 C.

AHAHAH. I CAN FIT A FRIEND IS IN THE 38, or is there a new trend about tucking your girls in the band of your bra that i wasn't informed about??

canadianwoman
01-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Have you tried any thrift stores? I always see lots of women's (and men's) belts in there.

Aclai4067
01-12-2012, 10:06 AM
On the bra measuring, I can say this is really difficult on large chested women. The whole, just hold your arms out to the side thing isn't going to cut it for the band measurement, you end up taking it too low. You have to have the guts to say "I need you to hold up your breasts," which can be a little akward (especially when your 18 and just working at Lane Bryant for the discount). It's also difficult to the the cup measurement right since you only measue how much the breasts go out, and don't account for all that going down that you need to lift up!

I don't bother with the measuring tape. Just try on your bras, if your not falling out the bottom of the cup or spilling over the top, you're on the right track!

weebleswobble
01-12-2012, 11:04 AM
When I was sized, they told me I was a 42 B or something like that. I fell out the bottom of the band, lol.

38DD. D if I lose a lot of weight. 40 if I gain a lot of weight. :)

I buy belts at thrift stores. know your waist measurement over your pants, take a cloth tape measure.

Munchy
01-12-2012, 11:08 AM
I actually finally had a good fitting (at Victoria's Secret) where the woman straight up told me they didn't sell bras in my size (32DDD). I was thrilled at her honesty, but I already had an inkling because the 34DD has been fitting so poorly.

Beach Patrol
01-12-2012, 11:15 AM

This is SOOOO aggravating!!! I can't tell you how many times I've had something altered to 3/4 sleeves because I get tired of having sleeves that come down to my knuckles!!!

caryesings
01-12-2012, 12:26 PM
I actually finally had a good fitting (at Victoria's Secret) where the woman straight up told me they didn't sell bras in my size (32DDD). I was thrilled at her honesty, but I already had an inkling because the 34DD has been fitting so poorly.

I remember stopping in VS during my weight loss to see if I could now get a pretty bra, as my band size now 34. I asked the woman up front where I could find cup size GG. She politely laughed and told me "bless your heart", not in this store!

Kahokkuri
01-12-2012, 06:48 PM
I can't complain about clothing sizes enough. The only thing I can consistently buy in the same size are shoes, so I've been able to order a pair online in the past. It's a good thing I'm not fitting room averse like some of my friends; I've accepted that even with the same manufacturer, same style and same size that two pairs of pants may not fit the same. I can't help but think that a major part of the problem is outsourcing the production to locations that will produce cheaply and quickly rather than accurately.

jeminijad
01-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Kahokkuri, much of it IS the outsourced production, when you are talking about variation within a brand. Also I find that some companies do different cuts intended for different figures on the designer's board, but that information never makes it to signage/labelling on the finished product (improving with the different jean cuts that are popular now.)

Kahokkuri
01-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Trying to change styles is such a pain! I bought a pair of "Rock Star" pants at Old Navy in a size 16, but in their other styles I was a 14 (in most) and almost a 12 (in some)! The difference between stretch jeans and non-stretch is mind-boggling, too. While I really think the industry needs to shape up and start streamlining sizing, I accept that I just have to try on every single thing I wear.

abejune23
01-15-2012, 12:34 AM

my legs are super short comparatively, and it's very hard for me to find pants that fit too! even the petite or short length pants end up being too long :(. i have a pair that is so long, i have to roll them up 4x at 2 inch intervals!!! even though i'm overweight, i don't think it's even a fat issue-- it just seems that designers can be really insensitive to inseam length. it's times like these that i lament not having sizing guidelines men have (even if they might be off).

aliasihaya
01-15-2012, 09:08 AM
I totally understand and am completely frustrated with clothes. I feel like I live at Lane Bryant. And even there I only see non-functional belts. And why is that when you're overweight they feel like a nice shirt needs to be bedazzled or full of crazy mixed up colors/patterns. I'd love to find just a nice solid colored blouse. And sadly when I walk through the mall and window shop and drool at 'normal' stores the majority of them cater to stick thin women. Even if I lost the 80 pounds that I need to I would never fit into the skinny jeans that I see in the window. I actually have hips and curves. When is the clothing industry going to come around and stop making clothes only for models? How long will it be for them to accept that there is a HUGE market for nice plus size clothes? That they should try to cater to the majority of women who are over a size 4. Ugh, I'm so fed up that clothes shopping for me is an excruciating chore. I end up getting sweat pants most of the time because it's easy. But that doesn't help me with work clothes. So when I find a shirt that I like I usually buy all of the colors that it comes in and/or wear it to death. I'm so tired of that. Anyway, I'll stop preaching to the choir. In the end it's just frustrating.

kimicat76
01-15-2012, 01:43 PM
i have a wide butt, long torso, big breasts, and short legs. so right now i like wearing junior sizes (sounds weird i know.) well the pants are 15. they are way too long and i have to roll them up. they are also too big and i got a simple braided belt from walmart. (i wear long t shirts so my belt hardly shows) the 13s are a bit too tight so im like urgh either my butt looks like its sagging or i get a camel toe >.< i cannot wear baby doll cut shirts. they show off my tummy which is a no no thanks to the stretch marks my lovely son gave to me =P also, there is no regulation on cup sizing after D on bras. im a 38DD so it sucks really bad getting a bra from other than VS. ive tried walmart. they are either way too big or fit like an A cup =/