Old 01-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #1  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Default Moving back in with parents, unhealthy foods galore!

tessss

Last edited by philana; 03-10-2013 at 09:19 AM.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #2  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

your honesty about the situation at hand is an asset. Use honesty as your vehicle. Home cooked foods with real ingrdients can be an advantage. prepare healthy colourful raw salads and eat that as the base w/ a scoop of your mom's home cooking as the topping. you are lucky to have supportive family members, although they might not be watching their weight they are there for you.
lucindaarrowspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I still live at home and I have sort of the same issue. My house is FILLED with tempting food! Luckily my mom does cook pretty healthy so I don't have to worry about dinner, but I make sure to avoid the the food I don't want and make my own breakfast and lunch.

After a while it becomes pretty easy to resist all of the food around you, especially when you start seeing results. I also find that I just can't stomach a lot of it any more so when it's shoved in my face and I'm told I should have some I don't even have to think about refusing.

Still, sometimes I do have strong cravings and the stuff is RIGHT THERE. What I've learned to do is savor the taste of food because what I used to do is just shovel it into my mouth for the sake of eating. When you savor the taste you learn that you don't need 30 chips to satisfy a craving—one or two will do. So that's what I do; I'll have one chip if I NEED that taste right away. I'll make sure to savor it and realize that I've gotten the taste and I don't need it any more.

First though, try chugging a giant glass of water when you feel the need to eat something. That usually does the trick for me
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #4  
PCOS and Tuesday weigher!

S/C/G: 288/295/175ish?

Height: 5ft4

Your mom knows you're a vegetarian and trying to lose weight though right? I think cooking for yourself is going to be the real key here or buying pre-made meals from the store that are reasonably healthy and suit your dietary needs. Is there anything you can make a big batch of at a weekend and then store to eat throughout the week? I'm not a vegetarian but when I'm home my mom makes giant dinners every day - luckily she knows now that I can't stomach them (carbs and calories!) and so just makes me the vegetables they have so I can add my own stuff in. She's not offended by it or anything, we just have different taste!

As for the candy, I struggle the same way! I can't have it in the house because if it's there I simply must have it. Again at home they have a lot of candy and cakes and such. I read somewhere else a saying that's really helped me with the candy and that's 'the second bite tastes the same as the first'. It's helped me to hold back because I don't need to eat tons and tons of candy - one or two pieces will do.
knoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #5  

One simple trick that can make things easier is to just swith the carbs in as many meals as you want with veggies. Might be hard to do on a bigger scale when you are a vegetarian tho.
Gabbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #6  
Tori

S/C/G: 172/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm back living at home for this semester too, and my mom is overweight and has the junkiest junk food in the house.
The junk in the cupboards I try to think as my "roommates", and it's not mine so I'm not allowed to eat it.
She's ok with cooking dinner.. tries to have a veggie, a meat and a ton of carbs which she knows I wont eat so my plate is usually pretty bare at dinner. But it's not always like that, like tonight I got home from school and there was cheese filled tortillini, so I just made myself a quick spinach salad so I didn't even have time to want the pasta.
It's hard, and the times that I have fallen off the wagon was because I saw something in the cupboard I couldn't resist.. and she doesn't understand that I don't want it in the house (because she wants it)
torito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #7  

It's hard! Put the food in a different cabinet and use another drawer for healthy items such as carrots, yogurt, fruits, fiber bars, celery, etc.
RHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:21 AM   #8  
say what?

thank you all for the wonderfull advise - making a salad of sorts and eating that with a little bit of what my mom is cooking sounds like a plan. I can also see how it would work better to have my own cupboard like when I lived with roommates. I'll think about it.

I already feel that now that I am really committed again, living in a house with carbjunkies is not an excuse to be one myself. The mindset helps a lot, but on weak moments it's still gonna be hard for sure.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 270/230/165

Height: 5'9"

I lived with my parents for five years after college, before finally moving out on my own. These are the things that worked for me:

1) Made ALL my own meals except for Sunday 'family' meal. Made me feel in control of my own choices
2) Contributed to the grocery budget so I felt comfortable asking for foods that I needed to be brought into the house
3) Asked my parents to keep the crap in their bedroom so it wouldn't tempt me
jennyplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 285/169/Ticker

Ahh! The story of my life (these last few months, at least). But at least you seem like you're handing it better. I moved back in with my mother in September and gained 15 lbs back. Just last week I decided it had to stop.

Now, I do my own grocery shopping and make food for myself at the beginning of the week (that needs to be cooked longer than 15 minutes) that I can just heat up throughout the week as desired.

Although I can't change what they eat or what they make or chose to have stocked at the home they own, I've made it a point to change what I choose to eat.

My mom's husband still cooks out; she still makes homemade greasy food; they still buy craploads of loaded sweets; I just don't touch it. Best of luck!
shellofself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: Current weight 80kg/176 pounds

Height: 5'5''

I have noticed this too, my mum loves eating out and hates cooking- which doesn't help me at all.

I agree 100% with shellofself with buying your own food (if you can afford it) or substituting certain parts of the meal for healthier options. I would highly recommend 'Cook Yourself Thin' (the pink book not the blue one!) which offers you traditional meals but with clever subsitutions.
talisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 138/138/110

Height: 5'0"

Does your mom cook all of the meals? If it's only dinner, you can eat fruits and veggies for all the other meals. Also make sure you get some exercise in there!
tomato sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote