40-Somethings - 40-something Valentine's Day Challenge

natamars
01-08-2012, 06:46 PM
I LOVED our challenges last year and they definitely made me more accountable, so I'm starting our first one for 2012.

V-Day is 37 days away. Post your goal(s) - calorie counting, exercise, water..whatever you want to work on. Post often to let us know your progress!!

Here are my goals:
1) Lose 5 lbs
2) Write down all food, and estimate calories as best I can
3) Try to stick to an up day, down day on calories
4) Only eat at night once/week
5) Vitamins every day
6) Exercise 5 days/week
7) Run 3x/week, working on distance and speed on diffferent days

Who's next?

ilsita
01-08-2012, 07:11 PM
I'll join your challenge! I'm new here and having a really, really hard time getting started.

My goals:

:: Get started!

:: Track my food and exercise, every day, even if I eat like a 13-year-old boy for 3 days straight, on my new My Net Diary App.

:: Meditate at least 1/2 hour every day.

:: No smoking (I smoke very moderately, and not every day, but I want to quit completely. It's gross and scary.)

:: Exercise at least 5 days a week.

:: Read my new Super Foods book.

:: I don't want to make a weight loss goal, because I'm not sure how fast the weight will come off. So, I'll say that the needle should cease going up and start going down. I'll take any loss as a success this time.

andrew80k
01-09-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm in!

Goals:

1. Lose 10 pounds.
2. Track 100% of my intake.
3. Get better at understanding nutrition
4. Eat 6 times a day, every day.
5. Exercise 6 days a week, no exceptions, 3 days cardio, 3 strength training.
6. Track my progress faithfully every week.
7. Support others.

ilsita
01-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Andrew says, "7. Support others."

I'm adding that one to my list too.

chicklett
01-09-2012, 03:40 PM
i like this too and am also having a hard time getting motivated to exercise, so that will be my first goal.

1. exercise FAITHFULLY at least 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week
2. strive for 10,000 steps a day
3. try to cut out white flour and focus on whole grains/whole wheat
4. eat more fruits and vegetables
5. become more disciplined in my weight loss and exercising
6. drink more water
7. support others (thanks Andrew! :) )

guacamole
01-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Great goals everyone! Exercise, support/fellowship, eating on plan, and getting to 165lbs are my goals for V-day.

Let's do this!!:hug:

Got to 165lbs 2/9/2012!

Moondance
01-09-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm in too!
My my goal date is actually a week sooner. I joined a "Maintain-Don't Gain" challenge at work. My weigh in before Thanksgiving was 193. I'd like to be at 183 by the final weigh in date of 2/7. My goal for Valentines Day will be one more pound at 182. To do this I will:

Stay with in my calorie goal of 1450.
Consistently track food and exercise on MyFitnessPal
Increase my steps taken on a daily basis. Current goal: 5000
Support others-come here every day.

annabetterlife
01-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Here are my goals till Valentines Day!

Lose 5 lbs
Don't eat after 6.30 p.m.
Eat Breakfast
Bed by 10 pm
Walk 5 days a week!

natamars
01-09-2012, 06:58 PM
First day on challenge going well food-wise, but my exercise buddy at work(we spend about 15-20 minutes going up and down the stairs) is away on a business trip, and I may bag the gym tonight and hang out with my family..some issues going on. I did take my vitamins for the first time in weeks.

anna, welcome, great goals!

moondance, I also plan to be on every day - the support will be great!

guac, good to see you here!

chick, what are you doing for exercise? I'm doing some running, elliptical, and body sculpt classes.

ilsita and andrew, YAY on the support! I'm adding that too.

HoosierMomma
01-09-2012, 08:08 PM
I'm in! My goal is:
lose 5 pounds
Exercise minimum 5days each week
10,000 steps each day
Track my daily calories (I really have no idea)

Theresa

chicklett
01-10-2012, 12:25 PM
sounds great, Nat!

i really like Jonathan Urla's Yogilates series, so i decided i will do that at least twice a week and focus on the old fashioned calisthenics (i always have had good results). i'll also be walking and riding my stationary bike too. whew, now im sweating just thinking about all that!! :exercise: if i stick to doing this, i think the pounds will come off!

as for my diet, i already do pretty good, the only meats i eat are chicken and turkey. i also have been eating lots of organic fruits, veggies, etc., so this is bound to help me as well. :carrot:

kandyrews
01-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Here are my goals:

1. Lose 5 pounds.
2. Track my calories per day
3. Be more consistant with my eating healthier.
4. Walk briskly 30 minutes 5 x a week.
5. Lift weights 3 x a week.
6. No eating after 7pm.
7. Cut back on sugar intake.

shiningthru
01-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Hi all! Im in too

I was hesitating to join this because I haven't actually weighed myself yet. Today is 6 days on my New Year, New ME plan :) and I think it will discourage me to weigh right now, but i see on here that I can have different goals for my challenge, so here goes

Goals:
1. Drink 3-4 liters of water a day
2. Take vitamins daily
3. Follow a healthy food plan and track it on my Lose it app (stay conscious and connected with all of my food choices)
4. Exercise 5-6 times a week
5. Take 1 day off of exercise a week
6. start meditating again
7. Support others (thats a good #7)

Thanks for this :)
Lets do it!!!!

shiningthru
01-11-2012, 12:23 AM
Hey there Natamars,
I saw that you put up and down days for calories, are you calorie cycling? I have thought about trying that in the past and did start to do it a couple of times but not really enough to know if it was working. I think it sounds like a good idea though. If so, how has it worked for you? thx :)

andrew80k
01-11-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm still on target with my goals. Yay! I've been reading some about calorie cycling, I'd also like to hear some input from someone doing it as well.

natamars
01-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Ended the day at 1525 calories, higher than I planned. Took my vitamins. Very pleased with my exercise, though - did the stairs at work for 15-20 minutes, then did 45 minutes on the treadmill, including running 1.5 miles at a 6.0mph pace. By the end of March I want to be able to run 3 miles at that pace, and to do a 5K in under 30 minutes this year. My PR is 33:30, so this would be big for me.

andrew, my plan is to take my daily calorie goal, say 1300, and then make that my average intake every day, with every other day being very low(800 or so) and the other being more like 1800. Some people will look at a whole week at a time and plan high and low days, just making sure the average works out to their daily goal. So far I've been struggling because I did not shop well - to get through the low days I need a lot of low calorie things that will fill me up. Some people like it because you have a high day to look forward to, others feel it thorws them off track because they're hungrier after the high calorie day. Worth a shot, though.

andrew80k
01-11-2012, 10:30 AM
andrew, my plan is to take my daily calorie goal, say 1300, and then make that my average intake every day, with every other day being very low(800 or so) and the other being more like 1800. Some people will look at a whole week at a time and plan high and low days, just making sure the average works out to their daily goal. So far I've been struggling because I did not shop well - to get through the low days I need a lot of low calorie things that will fill me up. Some people like it because you have a high day to look forward to, others feel it throws them off track because they're hungrier after the high calorie day. Worth a shot, though.

That's an interesting approach. I've read about 1 up and 3 down, 3 up and 3 down, but not 1 up, 1 down. I'll be interested in seeing how it works out for you. I don't think I could manage that low on low days, even adjusted for my weight. I'd have to adjust what I eat a LOT. Have you tried it before? Sounds like lots of carrots, celery, spinach to me. ;)

I'm thinking of trying 1 up, 6 down. Basically, one day at maintenance a week. Since I take 1 day off of exercise per week, that's only about 500 calories more on that day. I'm still losing pretty well so won't mess with anything anytime soon though. Once I get closer to my goal, I'm probably going to have to pull out all the stops to get that last 10 lbs off.

ilsita
01-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Goodmorning!

I just got back from my first good walk in a long while. I meant to start yesterday, but let the day get away from me. So today, I did it first thing. In the mornings, the dog and I take the kid to school and the man to work, and then I come home with every intention of getting right to work, but it normally takes me a while to settle into it (easily distracted people like me should not work from home). So, today, after I dropped the boys off, I got out of the car with the dog and took him for a long walk. I was prepared with my headphones, with my best wake-up-and-rock-out music queued up, so I didn't have to go in the house first. Dog was so happy.

Yesterday, I overshot my calorie goal by between 100-200 calories, but that still left me with a deficit. I made black beans and rice for dinner, and used Trader Joe's new Fast Cooking brown rice. Let me tell you something: fast cooking brown rice is too good to be true. It tasted like pond water -- a horrible taste that managed to overwhelm even the garlicky, oniony, peppery beans.

So, guys, I was wondering if anyone's interested in a daily accountability "check in". Maybe something like:

What did I accomplish yesterday?

What was a challenge yesterday, and how did I/will I handle that challenge?

What is my goal for today or tomorrow?

What do you think? It occurred to me last night, because I wasn't sure how to use this thread, exactly. And I was worried that I might just wander away from this challenge and quit checking in if I couldn't think of anything to say or a reason to drop in regularly.

annabetterlife
01-11-2012, 05:15 PM
I'll start then, if that's ok :)

What did I accomplish yesterday?
Yesterday I took an evening walk for 1 hour.

What was a challenge yesterday, and how did I/will I handle that challenge?
Challenge yesterday way giving the kids leftover cake (without eating it myself) ... / threw away what was left so I would not be tempted today.:dizzy:

Walking is still so new for me, my daily goal is to make sure that I get my walk in.

ilsita
01-12-2012, 12:29 AM
annabetterlife, I threw cake away today too! Though that wasn't much of a challenge for me, because I don't have a sweet tooth. Throwing away a pan of mac 'n' cheese on the other hand... ouch.

My accomplishment today was walking in the morning and 1/2 hour on the elliptical in the evening. I stayed within my calorie range; tracked everything I ate. I feel really good about this, and happy that I'm in a groove. I haven't done a bit of exercise in a year. But I am very afraid that I will lose this momentum.

My challenge is focusing on work. I find that focusing on my diet makes me a little hyper and scattered and it's very difficult for me to string two thoughts together. It's almost like dieting is a job -- it's so consuming: planning, tracking, weighing, measuring, eating, exercising, learning... I did not handle this challenge very well today.

But, tomorrow, I'm going start dealing with it by first getting serious about meditation and by setting mini work goals. This might sound very weak, but if I can put together 15 straight minutes of undistracted work, I'll call it a success. No checking my email or headlines or IM or cleaning the kitchen or just getting a cup of tea first...

My goal for tomorrow is to walk, meditate, begin re-training myself to work without treating my body like a dumpster.

natamars
01-12-2012, 10:48 AM
What did I accomplish yesterday? Calories were 1335, did 19 minutes on the stairs at work, took 1 hour body sculpting class

What was a challenge yesterday, and how did I/will I handle that challenge? Forgot to take my vitamins - need to eat them with lunch so I don't forget. Still eating too much sugar amd processed food as treats. Abs in class are very difficult for me - need to be working on them at least 3X/week

Keep calories 1500 or below, run on the treadmill for 4 miles

andrew80k
01-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Yesterday: Stayed on my eating plan, got my run in.
Challenges: Still trying to eat on time though my body is now starting to remind me. I work 2 jobs temporarily while one trains a replacement. I had a conference call with the second as soon as I got off from the first and it set me back an hour in my schedule. I ended up having to run when it was time to eat. I didn't want to run after eating.
Today: Stay on plan. Eat when I'm supposed to, Upper Body this evening.

kandyrews
01-12-2012, 01:03 PM
First off...I've been meaning to tell you all my name...it is Kim. Well what I've accomplished is I've been on my treadmill every day since I bought it last Friday, so six days straight and I lifted some light weights 3 x a week and ate 1300 calories. Got on the scale today and I lost 2 lbs! It's a small start, but it's a start. Honestly, I didn't figure I would lose any yet, because a couple of days I went over the 1300 calorie limit...although not by much, but still I did. Only I still lost 2 lbs. Now if I can keep that up...I just want to lose 1 to 1 1/2 pds a week until I reach my goal which is 140 and if less then great, but I'm shooting for 140. I think I put on the board somewhere I weighed 185, but I actually started out weighing 180 not 185.

natamars
01-12-2012, 11:31 PM
What did I accomplish today? Calories were 1445, 21 minutes on the stairs, ran 4 miles on the treadmill from 5-5.7mph

What was a challenge today, and how did I/will I handle that challenge? Forgot to take my vitamins -realized I actually did take them the day before. Need more fruit and veggies - have to shop smarter this weekend.

What is my goal for tomorrow?
I am eating lunch out with my boss, so will allow myself an indulgence but try to keep the rest of the day light. No exercise other than the stairs - taking a rest day. Bringing dinner in for my family, but not planning to eat it myself.

Kim, 2 lbs. is fantastic - congratulations!!

andrew, you're doing so well. Saw your note on the other thread about your running a 5K in under 20 minutes - sounds like you're a natural runner. I bet a lot of that comes back as your weight drops.

ilsita
01-13-2012, 01:00 AM
Today's accomplishment: Walked, meditated, stayed in my calorie range (just little under), micro-burst working was successful, so I'm going to keep up with that. Also, 2 lbs down this morning!

Challenge: I did not get on my elliptical. I kept putting it off, I think because it's in the basement and it's cold down there.

Tomorrow's goal: To try out my wii Zumba and to plan meals ahead for the weekend, which will be difficult with my son and bf home.

If anyone has a Trader Joe's nearby, you might enjoy what I threw together this evening: I mixed a can of TJ's black beans (rinsed) with a container of their fresh mango salsa. I had that with their Apple Chicken Chardonnay sausage, sliced and seared. It was fast and delicious.

andrew80k
01-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Yesterday: I learned a lot about the "myth" of starvation mode. I also learned that I wasn't counting everything. I was not counting my after workout recovery drink and it's 220 calories. Ugh. I still ate good 2076 calories, did upper body.
Challenges: Doing my own research. I no longer will trust people that have something to gain from my loss.
Today, I got my run in already and I will continue to eat clean. I'm going to the beach so I won't be posting for a couple of days. My challenges for the weekend will be to stay the course and ensure that I don't stray. I am planning for a reward meal on Saturday night. First one since I've started.

Nat, I don't know, I'm more of an athlete than I am a runner I think. I'm too big to be a natural at it, I think. I can run hard for short distances, but the longer they are the harder they are for me. Once I get some of this blasted weight off, we'll see.

ilsita That sounds delightful! I don't know if there is a TJ's around here though.

TLT136
01-13-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm new to 3FC. I'd love to join the Valentine's Day Challenge!!

Goals:
1) Writing down what I eat, even if I know better
2) -10lbs
3) 60 min. cardio...6 days a week
4) 30 min. weights 4 days a week
5) remember not to do it ALL next week

BTW, I am still trying to figure out how to put the ticker on my profile :( If you know how I'd love to know.

Zumbachica
01-13-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm so glad you started it this year Natamars...I AM IN!!!!! I have really let myself go with all the personal stuff going on with my life. I need to drop ten lbs. I started Atkins today and I hope to have six lbs off by Valentines day!!!

Zumbachica
01-13-2012, 04:17 PM
What did I accomplish today? Not much....so far stuck to Atkins ...and worked out. Accomplishment tomorrow? Stick to my low carb diet and drink lots of water....

mairin7
01-14-2012, 02:33 AM
Hi! I want to lose fifty pounds before Valentines Day. Five or ten will be okay, I guess. I will do intervals on my elliptical on an empty stomach for 7 to 15 minutes. I will eat more protein and less carbs. Ditch the Coke. I will imagine myself thin and pray for it.
Heck, I sound like a low acheiver compared to the other goals, but I have odd health issues.
I am happy to support others in this fat battle. Good luck to all!!

meetzer
01-14-2012, 03:02 AM
I'm a little scared to give myself set goals and wind up not meeting them, but I'll give it a go anyway...

1. Drink only water at least 2 days a week, except for morning coffee. (I hate water!)
2. Lose 10 lbs.
3. 3 miles/day on the treadmill & 5 miles/day biking
4. Log all food and exercise
5. Play outside with my dog more often. (weather permitting).

Good luck all!

natamars
01-14-2012, 09:57 AM
What went well yesterday: Did 20 minutes stairs @ work, took vitamins

Challenges: I had a high-calorie lunch, which I planned, but ate past the point of satisfaction, including 3 pieces of focaccia. I couldn't sleep and ate the rest of my gnocchi and some cold sesame noodles at 1AM this morning.

Today: Back on plan, run, hopefully ice skating with my family

I was down .4 for the week. After the extra carbs yesterday I'm staying off the scale for a few days.

zumba, so good to see you! You sound like you're doing well with Atkins, and I know you always keep up with your workouts. Hope it continues to go well for you.

meetzer, welcome! People have found different ways to get their water more palatable - lemon, lime, cucumber, etc. Since it's winter and my office is freezing, I drink herbal tea all day to keep me warm.

mairin, good luck with your goals. Not sure how much coke you drink now but that alone is a great start.

TLT, very ambitious exercise goals - are you already very active? Impressive!!

andrew, I'm sure you're at the beach now..I'm very jealous as it is suddenly FREEZING here on Long Island after a mild winter. Hope you enjoy your off-plan meal..I think it's good to once in a while.

ilsita, YAY on the 2 lbs!!

Sum38
01-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Great idea!

Goals:
1. Drink 80 oz of water a day.
2. Take vitamins daily.
3. Log all my food on MFP
4. Walk 20 miles per week.
5. WEIGHTS!
6. Each week, have one day when I dress up pretty. Feel good about myself!
7. Support others :)

cinlo
01-14-2012, 11:19 AM
I'd like to join this challenge, too.
I'm going to keep my goals brief, because I'm trying to make other changes in other parts of my life as well. I don't want to overwhelm or disappoint myself.
1. Drinking at least 64 oz. of water/day.
2. Eating between 1400-1600 calories/day.
3. Begin some basic exercises daily (crunches, weights, etc.)
I'd love to be 10 lbs. lighter by Valentine's Day!

TiredOfMySize
01-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Valentines day is now a month away. I'de love to join your challenge, albeit a little late, here are my goals:
*drink 64 oz water daily
*do floor exercises 5x a week in the morning
*lose 5 pounds before Valentines day!

ilsita
01-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Yesterday's achievement: Stayed on track and exercised. I didn't manage to meditate, because my son stayed home from school. No peace.

Challenge: I have a dear friend who lives across the street who also struggles with her weight and is going through a particularly stressful time. For her stress results in cake, cookies, pizza, eating out. Our families are pretty close, and she has asked me to go out with her this coming week. I was hesitant, and she thought it was because I didn't want to go out with her. So, I had to explain that I was trying to lose weight, etc. I didn't want to add to her stress, but I think I did a little. I realize that someone's personal choices shouldn't impact anyone else. But she's a good friend, and at a time when she's feeling a little out of control, I'm here tracking every morsel I put in my mouth.

Goal for the day: try to get a little work done. Clean house. Exercise. Read. The basics.

Zumbachica
01-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Totally screwed up Atkins last night....went with a friend out to eat and did okay until she ordered a giant Napolean and asked me to share it with her. Sigh.....had bread today...burned a ridiculous amount of calories because I worked out for three hours today. Still, I know it means nothing unless I get my eating under control. I miss my clothes and my clothes that DO fit are so uncomfortable.....enough whining.....someone told me today she is going to start doing ********** shakes for one meal a day, does anyone here know anything about them?

natamars
01-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Emotionally horrible day yesterday. My home life is a complete disaster. My son deserves so much better than what I can give him right now, so I need to focus on him.

Amazingly my calories were OK at about 1355, after not eating for much of the day. Too shaky to run though.

Not sure how I'll handle today..will just try to put one foot in front of the other and take care of my son and me.

Sum38
01-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Goals:
1. Drink 80 oz of water a day. ~ Check
2. Take vitamins daily. ~ Check
3. Log all my food on MFP ~ Check
4. Walk 20 miles per week. ~ Walked 5.2 miles
5. WEIGHTS! ~ NO :blush:
6. Each week, have one day when I dress up pretty. Feel good about myself! ~ House cleaning Day
7. Support others ~ Check

Zumbachica
01-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Nat noone knows better at how an unhappy home life can create havoc on health and weight gain. I have never looked worse in my life (or felt worse) than I do right now, not even after taking my Dad off life support. But I refuse to give in to life and just give up. Better days are ahead (I refuse to think otherwise) and when they do I want to look decent...plus right now I can't afford to buy new clothes if I start going into a bigger size.....so chin up Nat....if you want to private message me for support you can. In the meantime focus on your son, NOTHING is more important than our children. And in order for you to be there 100 percent for HIM you need to take care of YOU!

Zumbachica
01-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Okay well I caved last night and had two bowls of cereal.....I've decided to do the ********** thing and keep low on the carbs. I was talking to a bodybuilder yesterday and she told me about things I should do to take this weight off in a hurry, not to the extreme of what bodybuilders do before competition but things like replacing a meal a day with a protein shake. The low carb thing doesn't work that well for me because of my level of activity. I can't stop working out because of some extreme diet. SUM I like how you have a list of things and you check them off...i may do the same.

TLT136
01-15-2012, 02:49 PM
I miss my trainer. I really hated him at first, who did he think he was pushing me to keep going when I was OBVIOUSLY tired and out of breath. Now, I'd give almost anything to have that again. Some how I felt like I couldn't let him down. I wish I felt that way about myself.

ilsita
01-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Nat, I'm so sorry to hear you hit a rough patch, and hope you and your kiddo are taking care of yourselves.

HoosierMomma
01-15-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm finally starting to see the scale move

-dropped 6 pounds
-worked out 5 days at 45 min elliptical and 2 days weight training
-only at ~8,000 steps and trying to increase each day

I've hit my 4th week of exercise and 1 week of calorie counting using a great ap called my fitness pal. It tracks calories and calories out and I wished I'd started using this a month ago but maybe the small, slow changes are best for me. My eating is mostly clean with the occasional treat, lol.
Theresa :carrot:

I'm in! My goal is:
lose 5 pounds
Exercise minimum 5days each week
10,000 steps each day
Track my daily calories (I really have no idea)

Theresa

andrew80k
01-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Weekend: I didn't do as well as I would have liked. I did ok, and still lost 1.8 pounds since last weigh in.
Challenges: Being away from home was tougher than I expected.
Today: I'm back on plan and going to get it done.

shiningthru
01-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Great job on the losses! HoosierMomma, Andrew, and Ilista and anyone else I missed!! And great job everyone on the goals!

Nat, sorry ur having a rough time, good job on keeping ur food in check! Glad u could post on here and keep taking care of U.

Im doing pretty good with my goals, for the most part Ive been having a great amt of water, and been exercising and keeping the food clean. However, I don't weigh yet, so Im not sure if Im going down at all. I think a little but it doesn't feel like much. Im also struggling a lil bit with how much to eat still, Ive increased the cals so hopefully that will be a good thing.

One thing that i have not been able to do much of is meditate more. That is in my goals and I would really like to change that. I dont want to put a ton of pressure on myself about it because that doesn't usually work for me, but it is a great goal and I know it will make me feel good :)

I can relate Zumba, on the missing my old clothes! I may do a shake as a supplement, i found these egg white ones that I like. I'll let u know if I do it.

Adios for now valentines

Sum38
01-16-2012, 05:34 PM
1. Drink 80 oz of water a day. ~ 72 oz.
2. Take vitamins daily. ~ Check
3. Log all my food on MFP ~ Check
4. Walk 4 miles 5 times per week. ~ Walked 6.7 miles
5. WEIGHTS! ~ NO
6. Each week, have one day when I dress up pretty. Feel good about myself! ~ All prettied up today
7. Support others ~ Check

natamars
01-16-2012, 09:32 PM
The server ate my post, so I'm afraid to write much. Doing OK on calories the last 2 days, too many bad carbs today, made big pot of veggie soup that I'm eating every day, took my son ice skating and went to body sculpting class today, ran outside yesterday but did less than 2 miles because it was freezing.

Thanks for the support from everyone..things are rough, but I'm getting by.

andrew80k
01-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Yesterday: Did good, stayed on plan, got my workout in. Running getting easier.
Challenges: I have to realize that my time is not always my own and I have to deal with that.
Today: Focus on today. Get through today. I'm making progress and I have to stay the course.

I'm tired. I haven't been sleeping well for a LONG time and I had hoped the increased exercise would help with that but so far, not so much. I've had a couple of good nights, but less than I'd hoped.

ilsita
01-17-2012, 02:55 PM
andrew, your challenge resonates with me too. And I'm sorry you're not sleeping well. That's the worst. When I'm having a hard time sleeping, I make sure I'm getting enough magnesium and potassium. That seems to help me a lot.

Accomplishments: Not feeling very accomplished at the moment, but I guess I'll say that, even after gaining back a pound (how??), not making time to work out, and feeling a little "Wah!" about cooking things for my family that I can't eat (really, my bf is too skinny and cannot afford to cut calories. He's enormously supportive, and will cook for me, but he gets pasta while I have mashed cauliflower), and sneaking an extra handful of plantain chips or popcorn -- I still managed to maintain a calorie deficit.

My son was home from school on Friday and Monday, which threw off my routine a bit.

So, today I'm going to straighten my wheels. Track consistently. And work.

Shiningthru, Meditation is one of my top priorities, too. I know it's hard to make time for, especially when it feels like you're making time to do nothing. Meditation has proven to be one of the most powerful tools in relapse prevention among addicted people, so it's definitely worthwhile for us too. :)

I hope everyone's having a glorious day!

shiningthru
01-17-2012, 03:57 PM
thx Ilsita Im loving ur post today, and to you too Andrew

I am going to try to focus on today, to not be selfish with my time and today Im going to do some meditation, thanks for the encouragement :)!

Hi Sum just read ur post too, i like the "all prettied up" part of ur weekly goals!!! so great! It reminds me of a friend who used to ask me when ever i talked to her, "What did you do for fun today?" I also like ur checklist!

Dressing up helps me to feel good about myself. As does spending time with my niece and nephews or doing a favor for my sister. I did those things yesterday and it really helped me not focus on how much I still have to lose but instead, just being with people and feeling good.

I have had some writing that Ive been needing to do, so last night I took myself on a date to my favorite little coffee shop, sat in a comfy chair and worked on it with some mint tea. :) This writing brings up some emotions for me, and Ive been having a hard time working on it, so it was a great way to get out of the house and just do it.

Nat Im so glad ur doing good with ur plan despite the emotional stuff!

thanks for keeping up the posts everyone

mairin7
01-17-2012, 10:53 PM
I invited my daughter, 13, to a St. Valentine's challenge. She is winning!! What an inspiration and an ever-present reminder! She exercised three times a day. Once doing a Dance video, the walks in afternoon and at night elliptical. And she stopped boredom eating.

Loving all the progress here, too, by all of you!!

natamars
01-18-2012, 08:24 AM
Tuesday, what went well: Calories @ 1450, 18 minutes stairs @ work, 45 minutes on treadmill, vitamins

Challenges: Still very sore from Monday's body sculpting, and it impacted my exercise Tuesday. My plan was to run 1.75 miles @ 6mph after jogging for 15 minutes between 5-5.5mph, but I only managed a few minutes at that speed before I felt very tired and winded.

Today: I was going to run outside and/or do another body scupting class, but I'm still sore..think I may just do the elliptical today and try to run again tomorrow.

mairin, your daughter sounds awesome - you must be so proud of her.

shining, I love your post - such positve thoughts to read in the morning

andrew, hope your sleeping gets better. That can really throw everything else off. I go through periods where my sleep is really messed up, too. You keep a food journal, right? Any chance anything you're having late in the day(caffeine, sugar, alcohol) could be doing it? Some people say exercise at night keeps you up, but personally it never impacts me..my problem is usually waking up at 2 or 3 wide awake.

Hope everyone has a great day.

andrew80k
01-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Tuesday: Did great. I had to go grocery shopping as DW is still out of town with DDs. 3200 calories out, 2300 in. Did upper body in 52 minutes. Dialed up the weights.
Challenges: Had to work my second job last night. I'm increasingly wanting to be rid of it, though the extra money is nice. The extra work, however, is not. I accomplished all my tasks though so that's good.
Today: Focus on today, get through today. Eat what I'm supposed to, get my workout in, take care of self.

Nat, My sleeping issues go way back. I'm keeping a food journal, and I used to think that maybe I was drinking too much caffeine during the day, but I've cut a lot of it out. I only have one adult beverage per week now, max. I don't eat much sugar at all.

I think it's a combination of several issues, but I have the same problem you do. I can go right to sleep but I wake up during the night and can't go back to sleep. Part of it is the mattress, but we are getting a new one. Part of it is my weight, I carry a lot of my fat viscerally and in my face which affects my breathing at night, which is probably most of my issue. Part of it is my damn cat. She insists on sleeping on me which bothers me at night. Despite the fact that I didn't volunteer, I have become the cat's person and have been relegated to her staff.

natamars
01-18-2012, 09:00 PM
1545 calories today. Starting to notice calorie creep/ I feel hungrier, maybe form more activity? No vitamins, too many refined carbs. 45 minutes on the elliptical - 295 calories burned.

Plan for tomorrow - fewer calories, stairs at work and speedwork on the tredamill.

andrew, hopefully with the weight loss and the new mattress things will get better. I have the same isue with cats - we have 2 and they like to pin our legs down and demand attention in the middle of the night.

natamars
01-18-2012, 09:05 PM
1545 calories today. Starting to notice calories creeping up. I feel hungrier, maybe from more activity? No vitamins, too many refined carbs. 45 minutes on the elliptical - 295 calories burned.

Plan for tomorrow - fewer calories, stairs at work and speedwork on the treadmill.

andrew, hopefully with the weight loss and the new mattress things will get better. I have the same isue with cats - we have 2 and they like to pin our legs down and demand attention in the middle of the night.

shiningthru
01-19-2012, 12:17 AM
Guess what.... I meditated for about 10 min this morning :) It was tough to sit with myself a bit in the beginning, but I know that two weeks ago before I started eating better again and moving my body I would have had so much more trouble sitting still and just breathing. Thx Ilista and all for the support and encouragement. Im going to shoot for once more this week and once on the wknd and hope to get started back again.

I can so relate to the sleep stuff Andrew hope it gets better, hang in there.

So interesting that you say that Nat, im feeling a calorie creep today too. I was in a hurry today and busy and ate too fast and got a lil too hungry before dinner. Going to try to keep it a little lower tmrw. And good for you for listening to ur body about the run, I had to do a lil shorter this morning too. Was just feeling kinda depleted. Ran about 10 min and then did some intervals, running and walking. Still got my body moving and my heart rate going. And thx, you help me too :)

Thx all for all the posts and keeping the challenge going.

andrew80k
01-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Yesterday: Did good but was tired! I stayed up too late the night before watching a basketball game, by the time it was over and I had wound down from watching, it was near midnight and I have to get up at 5:30 am. With all the other sleep issues that I'm having that made it really hard. But I stayed on plan, ate a few less calories and got my run in. I wasn't my usual self though and struggled through it. Still it was ok.
Challenges: I have to figure out how to manage my sleep better. I usually go to bed around 9:30 or 10 and as long as I stick with that I seem to do fine. Much later and I suffer. The cat may have to start sleeping in the laundry room.
Today: Get through today, focus on today. Eat on plan, Lower body tonight. Stay the course, stay the course, stay the course.

One thing I've noticed, Staying busy and focusing on the things I need to get done really help keep me on track. I don't sit around bored and I don't seem to get hungry. I do have to remind myself to get my last snack in every night though.

Thanks for the support.

ilsita
01-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Shiningthru, that's excellent you got those ten minutes in! I always dread sitting with myself, too. It's never as painful as I'm sure it's going to be, and I know the benefits are enormous.

My big challenge is turning out to be exercise. My elliptical is in the basement. The cold, dark basement. I tried to pretty it up a little, but it's still the basement. I haven't been outside walking in a few days because it's miserable out. Just dumping rain. I keep thinking that if I can make some headway with my work, I'll feel more comfortable making time to exercise. In other words, I'm being lazy and playing mind games with myself.

It's amazing how I can clearly see myself being an idiot, but persist in being an idiot.

andrew, I don't know if this will help with your sleep at all, but I have a guided meditation that I listen to sometimes, by Belleruth Naparstek -- whose voice I love. It might be a little woo for you, idunno, but if you're interested, you can download her meditations from iTunes or on her website. (She also has one for weightloss.)

I love Zumba so much. I started doing it years ago, and I know that it's something I can devote myself to. So one mini goal this week is to break out my wii Zumba and give it a try. I've had it for months and haven't touched it.

nat, I hope you're feeling better...

Time to hit the books! Have a great day everyone!

natamars
01-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Down 1.2 for the week - very happy with that.

Good: Kept calories ~1235 yesterday, and 45 minutes on the treadmill, and 17 minutes climbing stairs at work.

Challenges: Still struggling with "speed" on the treadmill. Trying to work up to a 10 minute mile pace. Last week I could do 1.5 miles straight at that pace, this week I struggled. Too many of my calories are still from sugar.

Today: More of the same. No gym tonight - Cub Scouts event. My only exercise will be the stairs at work.

ilsita, do you have a TV or anything down there? It is SO hard to get motivated at all in the winter - it's always so dark. I have to drag myself out in the cold at night to the gym when all I want to do is curl up on the couch under a blanket and eat cookies.

andrew, I'm with you on the boredom...I notice the same thing with myself. I have a desk job and when things are quiet all I can think about is food. I know it's not real hunger.

T G I F!!

andrew80k
01-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Yesterday: More of the same. It's starting to become rote, which is good. Change my habits, change my life, change my body.

Challenges: With the rote, comes complacency. Must not get complacent. That leads to calorie creep. Still trying to get more water in me. I struggle with that.

Today: Focus on Today, get through Today. My family is back from the beach and DDs start back to school on Monday. That will mean getting my workout in as soon as I walk in the door so I can help with homework. I didn't know I was going to have to go back through the fourth grade...

Nat That's great progress. Nothing like success to help keep you motivated.

ilsita Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

guacamole
01-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Interesting that other folks are also having sleep issues. I was watching TV last night, and decided to check the clock after the last show to determine if I wanted to go to bed yet - it was 1:30am! I really though that maybe it was 11:00pm. I was that untired sort of tired - which is where I am almost every night lately. I wake up feeling like I could sleep another 5 or 6 hours.

I also have this underlying annoying cold that I can't get rid of. It doesn't stop me from doing my daily tasks, but I am constantly stuffy, headachey, and have a mild sore throat.

My goal is to stay on plan tonight and over the weekend, when we will be seeing friends. Every weekend is such a challenge. I make a big effort not to eat white refined sugars and flours during the week, but I cheat on the weekends quite often.

Good luck, everyone!

TLT136
01-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Good Morning All-

I changed plans 2 days ago. I felt like I was starving. All I thought about ALL DAY was food. Seriously, watching the clock to see when I could eat again. I was feeling like such a wuss (feeling like i had no willpower).

I am soooo happy I found a plan that took into account that being a stay at home mom isn't a sedentary job! We need fuel, too. I don't sit on my butt all day and watch TV (though if I did that would be ok too) I do house repair, yardwork, general maintenance, along with the OTHER house stuff too. These things burn calories and should be calculated into the daily totals. Ok enough ranting..sorry.

I am NOT hungry AND I am not drinking coffee as an appetite suppressant . I think this will be a permanent change for me not "just until I reach my goal weight) I have been on DIEts for the last 40 years. I really want to live the rest of my life without the guilt and obsessive behaviour that I have developed these past 40 years. So far (yeah I know 2 days) it feels different.

Thanks for letting me share.

Julie

kandd416
01-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Hope it's not too late to join.

I started my life style change on 1-9-11 and one of my mini goals is to be down 10 lbs. by 2-13-11. Which amounts to 2 lbs per week. I know that may be a lot, but I know I have to have good results the first few weeks to stay motivated. I purchased a Body Bugg & so far am loving it & it's working pretty well.

So my goals for this challenge are:

Take vitamins daily
Log all my food
Maintain a daily calorie deficeit
Try to support others
And of course lose that 10 pounds

As of 1-16-11 I was 1.8 down
18% there

Zumbachica
01-20-2012, 03:09 PM
HI everybody.

I';m finally on track with my eating plan. It has been a few days. Went to the diner last night and I usually share a giant Napolean with my friend but I refused to share it with her last night, she ordered it for herself. It was hard not having any and watching her eat it but I keep thinking about how my jeans literally HURT on my hips and at this rate I will have no clothes that will fit me.

I bought the Ten Minute Trainer and pathetic me haven't done the workouts yet. I know I need to punch things up a bit, I just feel really overwhelmed.

I feel so motivated reading all these posts.....hang in there everybody.

shiningthru
01-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Hi everyone

I think Im going to add a new goal, to hike once a week. I went this morning and it was really beautiful. Im sorry for the cold and rain some of you are dealing with, I know come summer you all will be needing to help me thru.

I meditated a little bit on my hike but it was hard with people passing so I am still going to do my 10 min sometime this evening. Other than that, just going to take it easy, talk to a friend for a little while, who said she needed to talk and not sure what else, probably read my book that I can't seem to put down. Mellow Friday night for me.

Welcome Kandd, not too late at all. I started my New Year, New Me close to when you did, I think I started on 1-4-12. Hoping to make some great changes in this 2012

Zumba Ive always wanted to try Zumba... :) good job on not giving in to the Napolean!

shiningthru
01-21-2012, 01:27 AM
Hey there

Just wanted to post that I did some meditation tonight. Was still pretty tough to sit but easier than the last time

Gnight friends

natamars
01-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Yesterday, what went well:nothing, really

Challenges: My son was sick, so I worked form home and took care of him. He was up and down all day..he'd feel better, then worse..meanwhile my office was being extremely demanding and pinging me all day with ridiculous requests. I ate about 2100 calories(estimate because I ate a bunch of trail mix at the end of the day that I didn't measure) and got no exercise in. No vitamins either. Just stressed and didn't handle it well.

Today: It's snowing here, so no run outside..hopefully tomorrow. Had been planning on a dinner out, but may wait until my son is 100%. We were supposed to be at a chess tournament all day, but it was canceled, so I should be able to get to the gym and do some cardio at some point.

shining, your hike sounds awesome - I am jealous. Winter has finally hit Long Island these last few weeks.

zumba, great to see you - so glad things are going well with your plan.

kand, fantastic goals. Welcome to 3fc!!

tlt, glad you found a plan that's working for you.

guac, I have the same kind of symptoms. I don't know if it's allergies or what. Like you say it's not debilitating, just always there.

andrew, so wonderful that this has become rote for you - that's the key. All this stuff we have to do isn't going away once we hit goal.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

shiningthru
01-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Hi there

Just wanted to post today to help me stay on track. Im really tired today. I had to be up early for a meeting this morning and I didnt get enough sleep. So I came home from the meeting at 1030 and thought.... maybe I should have some chocolate almonds.... That's my thinking for ya... Its also my day off of exercise this week... so that is no reason to cheat either... So I paused and just crawled back in bed to try to take a little nap. Its kinda cold and cloudy here today anyway... good for a nap... I didnt end up sleeping, I just read and talked on the phone a bit, but I rested and now the craving has passed. I can still have some later if I really still want a few, but i think its a great idea not to have had them for breakfast... lol :) or post breakfast snack....

Natamars, sorry ur day was tough ystrdy. Its hard when plans change and not to react to stress with food. I can relate. Good for you for posting here and getting the support today. I am having a conversation this afternoon with a good friend of mine and Im nervous about it. We have had some miscommunication lately and are trying to resolve it. So Im going to stay in a healthy frame of mind and with my food too.

Best wishes to everyone today

ilsita
01-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Happy Saturday!

I ate crap last night. Popcorn (popped in oil -- I didn't add butter but ate a whole pile of it) and had a little ice cream. But, I'm fighting my instincts to feel terrible about it, especially because I know that leads to flouncing off in discouraged huff and it will be several months before I try again. I was consistent for 2 weeks, lost 3 pounds so far, and today I'm back on plan. The momentum is still forward.

shining, I think I can get a TV down there. I'll see if I can get that hooked up. So glad to hear you're making progress with your meditation.

Today's goals: Track, stay in range, elliptical or zumba (seriously!).

Challenge: Weekends at home with my sweetie are a challenge, food-wise. He loves to cook (does it for a living, in fact!) and really needs to eat high calorie because he's skinny. Lately, he's been having some major dental work done, so he's not eating enough and is losing weight that he cannot really afford to lose. His rings are falling off. So, finding a way to get extra calories into him while staying on plan myself will be interesting.

Kandd, I got a bodybugg last year and really liked it. There is something about wearing it that makes you want to move around. It's awesome. I'll think about getting started with that again... I just hate paying a monthly membership for it.

nat, I hope your kiddo is feeling better!

Zumbachica
01-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Hi Friends,

On this snowy weekend I am trying hard to get my eating and my emotions under control. Someone told me today that food to her means love and she turns to it all the time for that reason. How sad is that? Shouldn't we have someone love us enough so that we don't have to resort to food to love us? I suggested she adopt an animal that will love us unconditionally as long as we feed and take care of it......and if it is a dog she can take it out for a walk or a run and get some exercise...think outside the box to get what you are craving in life......a bowl of ice cream is not going to give you a hug, it doesn't talk back and it won't come to your funeral to pay its respects. Get PEOPLE that you love in trust in your life, not food.

Okay that was my Sunday sermon for today.

I have been able to stick to my diet so far this weekend, hope I can keep it up. Protein, vegetables and salad....No carbs....so far so good, I already feel a bit less bloated and gross. A teeny bit......After that time of the month comes and goes today I hope to have lost a few more.......

Ilsita, popcorn isnt' that bad a choice....especially since you didn't put butter on it....don't let that be the reason you fail. You collapsed , you conquered. Have your sweetie drink some shakes for extra calories......make them with ice cream and protein powder, whole milk. We did this for a friend when they were losing weight after chemo, it was easy to get down and it helped.

Shining...late night munchies are when we are more apt to fail.....keep away from the chocolate almonds, although almonds are a good source of protein and there are worse choices.....

Nat..enjoying being snowed in? It actually isn't too bad, but enough to make me want to stay in today and hibernate.

Ihope to get some of my ten minute training DVD done today.

natamars
01-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Had my off plan meal last night - 2 slices of Grandma pizza and a big salad with real dressing. delicious. What I hadn't counted on was eating 5 or 6 of my homemade chocolate chip cookies(Zumba, that's how I dealt with the snow! My son was sick and not up to playing outside, and the cookies cheered him up). I also never made it to the gym.

I got a late start today, and ended up grabbing a whole wheat bagel with light veggie cream cheese(I asked the guy to use half the regular amount), which was my breakfast and lunch. I'm waiting for my running clothes to come out of the drier and I'm going for a run outside..looks like the road is just wet at this point.

zumba, you're doing really well - we can do this!

ilsita, that doesn't sound bad at all! Not sure if you weigh ion every day but if you had salt with the popcorn you may want to hold off a few days.

shining, good for you for working through that craving!! I LOVE any kind of chocolate covered nuts.

Sum38
01-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Challenges: I had 5 days or so that I had no motivation. I got REALLY close to being under 150, and then I sort of lost it. I did not log my food and I found million reasons why not to get my walks in....

Motivation: Finally my DH literally dragged me out of the house for a walk. I was not happy because we had so much snow and it was hard! -- So kept saying...just think of that bikini you are going to wear! -- We talked some more and I said I need some shorter term goals. -- I decided to pull out an outfit I have wanted to wear for a long time and hang that up for me to see it each day; My reward; once I would fit in it, we would do a REALLY nice dinner out.... So I got home pulled it out and for kicks decided to try it on, and by gosh it zipped up! I was so amazed. I pulled out more size 8's and some of the jeans fit me great! -- So I got my motivation back.

Today: We hiked through snowy terrain for 5.2 miles at 4 mph. I was dead tired afterwards but happy, happy :)

I hope everyone is having an OP weekend and staying healthy!

Today:

natamars
01-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Good: I ended the day at 1085 calories. Walked .8 miles, jogged 2.4

Bad: Only one piece of banana in terms of fruit and veggies. I am supposed to do my long run on the weekends, but it's been so cold that I'm not lasting long.

How I will handle: I have all my food packed here at work, so I know today will be better nutrition-wise. The weather is supposed to be warmer next weekend..if not, I will have to do my long run on the treadmill.

Sum, that sounds like a great workout - way to go!

andrew80k
01-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Weekend: I did well for the most part, but my schedule on Saturday was weird since I had dinner at the in-laws. I saved up most of my calories for that since I knew it would be one of those dinners. It actually was fairly healthy, it was the adult beverages that got me. :( I did use diet soda as a mixer so it wasn't too out of hand. But I enjoyed it and it was fun. Now to get back on track.

Challenges: DDs start back to school today and I'll have to get back on to that schedule and get my workouts worked in. I haven't missed a workout yet and have remained healthy, which is nice. (knock on wood).

Today: Focus on today, get through today. Run tonight, Eat on plan.

TLT136
01-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Sometimes you have to be your own support team. Don't count on other "fit" never been "fat and out of shape" people to have a clue. I am so angry right now BUT the good thing about this is that I have NO DESIRE TO EAT my anger away. HAaaaa!!! something is working!

shiningthru
01-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Weekend was pretty good. Food was not as clean but calories were in line...
Except I realized late last night that I had forgotten to meditate. So I did a little bit but I was really tired. Didn't sleep very much either night this wknd. Going to shoot for every other day this week.

Today, slept great last night. Run this morning was about 2.4 miles. The most I had run before was about 2!! yay! I still can't run 2 miles straight, I need to stop a few times and walk for a minute, but today I ran over 1.5 miles before I stopped! This is progress! Then I did 15 min of weights.

I can tell that Im shrinking. I think I may start weighing myself once a week. Maybe on Fridays... Not sure yet, things are going well this way, but it would be nice to track my progress.

Zumba you are doing great!!! Ive done low carb before and sometimes I tinker between going really low again or just kinda low like i do normally. Great sunday sermon, pets are much better than ice cream for affection!!!!

Sum, great workout!! I also do so much better when Im tracking my food, it helps in both ways for me, to stay on track and also if I feel like I have over done it, i can put it into my tracker and go... ok well, thats not so bad, it was just one meal etc or just one day... etc.

Nat, great job on ur run, hope it warms up this wknd for ur outdoor run!

Hello to ya'all and have a great monday!

andrew80k
01-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Yesterday: Didn't eat great, but stayed within my limits. Got my run in.
Challenges: I have to learn to say no to reach my goals. Even to myself.
Today: Focus on today, get through today. Lower body tonight.

This is week 4 and I have to change my exercise program next week. I'm not sure yet which direction I'm going to go. I was thinking P90X but I'm not sure I'm ready.

kandd416
01-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Weighed in this morning:

1/9 190.8 (started challenge late)
1/16 189
1/24 187.6

Goal weight 180
% of the weight to goal is 30%

I love this forum & the people in it are so great & supportive.

As far as the rest of my goals:

Take vitamins daily- I think I'm 5 for 7
Log all my food -did great on this
Maintain a daily calorie deficeit- did great on this
Try to support others- I'm trying!
And of course lose that 10 pounds- See above

As I'm tracking my calories in & burned, I'm discovering that I really need to eat more protein. My fat % is good, but my protein is way too low. Also, I need to get more "exercise" I can't just rely on the running around at work to burn the calories I want to burn.

What is everyone's favorite workout DVD? If you had to choose only one to workout to, which would it be?

Kim

shiningthru
01-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Doing a lot better with water today than yesterday. When I am tired that is one of the first things to go for me. And I also wanted to say that I meditated ystrdy morning and I wanted to write it on here. My goal is every other day this week. It was really amazing how different it felt from just a couple days ago.

andrew80k
01-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Yesterday: Ate mostly on plan but am going to have to watch the calories. I was high and will need to cut back again. Got my lower body workout in, mostly.
Challenges: All kinds of weirdness yesterday made for a number of interesting challenges.
Today: Have to do better today. Focus on today. Get through today. Run tonight.

natamars
01-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Tuesday, what went well: 45 min on the elliptical(burned 290 calories). Ate huge salad for lunch

Challenges: Could not make it a low calorie day - ended up at 1495. Realized that TOM is almost here, so this is not the time for me to try to cut calories much

Plan for Wednesday: Stairs at work, time at the gym(not sure what), more water. I'm normally really good with water but haven't been having enough lately.

andrew, sounds like you did well despite challenges

kandd, congrats on a nice loss for the week!

shining, YAY on the running!!

natamars
01-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Wednesday, what went well: 1255 calories, 1 hour body sculpting class

Challenges: didn't get to do stairs at work, so no cardio. Forgot vitamins again! And I can't take them on an empty stomach - have to remember to take them at work.

Tomorrow: Try to keep calories under 1400, stairs at work, some cardio at gym

andrew80k
01-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Yesterday: Did pretty well. 2350 calories in, 3200 out. Still a little high on the calories, but I'm working on it. Got my 3 mile run in 36:05. Going to go with that pace for a while.
Challenges: Getting a little weary of eating the same things, so I indulged a bit on impulse. Not planning it was a mistake, but I recovered.
Today: Focus on today. Make goal-oriented choices. Upper body tonight.

Nat You're doing great! Up until recently, getting my vitamins every day was a challenge for me as well. I still miss occasionally on the weekend.

kandd416
01-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Shining, water is so important great job on drinking what you need & making time for yourself with the meditation.

Andrew, you've been doing great on staying on plan & getting your exercise in. You are really motivating me to kick up the exercise!

Natamars, sounds like yesterday was a great day, low calorie, body sculpting. I have a hard time remembering to take my vitamins too. I was just thinking of getting an extra bottle to leave at work because of it. lol

Everyone continue to stay on point! We're doing great!

Have a wonderful day!

chicklett
01-26-2012, 12:52 PM
While reading an article on the web, I found something very inspirational that I wanted to share...

"Just because you fail once, doesn't mean you're gonna fail at everything. Keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself, because if you don't, then who will, sweetie? So keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, keep smiling, because life's a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about." -- Marilyn Monroe

:sunny:

shiningthru
01-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Hi folks

Well, I went to see massage therapist yesterday and my leg is doing much better. Its funny I was really stressed last week and i think kinda running out my emotions.... and she said that calf muscles are connected to adrenals... makes so much sense... I like stuff like that. I was actually able to hike a little yesterday and its ok to take a little break from running. I also did some pilates yesterday. Figured if I can't run, I can do other stuff. Not letting it get me down. THanks for all the support :)

So as far as goals, Ive increased meditation, altho not doing it perfectly (forgot again ystrdy), Im drinking lots of water most days, taking vitimans, exercising 5 or 6 days and not getting discouraged, and my food has been really good! plus supporting others...

Hope everyone is having a good thursday!

ilsita
01-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Hi guys, I just wanted to check in, to keep somewhat accountable. I just learned that my mother has cancer and I am shocked and devastated. My commitment to my health is very strong right now, so i'll be back... It's hard to act normal right now, but I think it's going to be important for me to in order to stay strong.

I am going to go join the gym right now to get me out of the house.

I hope everyone is doing great and hanging in!

natamars
01-27-2012, 08:49 AM
I am up 1 lb. for the week. I know it's not real..my calories have been under my BMR every day. TOM is here, and I'm not feeling well - throat is sore and I feel wiped.

Didn't track perfectly yesterday, but calories were ~1600. Decided to skip exercise and focus on rest, as I will again today. Hoping to feel better in time to run tomorrow as weather is supposed to be good. I did remember to take my vitamins finally!

ilsita, I am so sorry about your mom. If you want to talk about it, we're here. There are also many great support boards online. I learned of my mom's cancer about 6 years ago - she initially chose not to seek treatment and actually hid it from all of us, but eventually she did go through chemo and radiation, and she's still here, 80 years old and quite active.

shining, glad the massage helped.

chick, great quote, thanks for sharing.

kand, good to see you checking in.

andrew, you continue to rock.

kandd416
01-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Nat, I hate even weighing around the TOM. I retain so much water my weight often goes up 5 pounds. Very depressing to see when you've been working so hard to lose! Even though you know it's not real it still is a downer. Hope you feel better.

Ilsita, so sorry to hear about your mother. It's tough, but as Nat pointed out it doesn't necessarily mean the worst. Keep strong & be there for yourself & your mother.

Everyone else, IT'S FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!! Yay!

I'm going out for margaritas after work for the girls at this great little Mexican restaurant. I'm not going to eat any chips. I'm not going to eat any chips. Maybe if I keep chanting it I will follow it? LOL

Have a great weekend & be good to yourself!

Kim

andrew80k
01-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Yesterday: Stayed exactly on plan, got my upper body workout in. Really cranked the weight up and am paying today. I hurt in a good way.
Challenges: Yesterday was pretty easy on the plan. I was prepared and toed the line.
Today: Focus on today, get through today. Run tonight.

ilsita Really sorry to hear about your mother. Hopefully it is something that can be treated and she comes through ok. Make sure to take care of yourself. It will be really easy for you to focus on others. You can help more if you are taking good care of you.

Nat hang in there. This too shall pass. :) Get better soon.

kirsteng
01-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Hi everyone!

Well I'm a little late out of the gate, but I'd like to join you for the rest of the challenge, if you don't mind! I seem to do better when I have a challenge.. and the last month has been awful for me as I've had a bunch of personal things come up. The good news is that I'm still the same weight despite it all. :)

Anyhow, there are about 18 days left before Valentines Day, so I'm going to set my goal accordingly...

CW: 254
GW: 249

Once I get to the 240's I'm going to feel FANTASTIC as I haven't been in the 240's since having my 3 children over 8 years ago now.

GL and keep up the fight everyone!!

ilsita
01-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Thank you for the kind words and expressions of hope. The cancer is pancreatic and has already spread, so... it's the big bad one. I'm a pretty solitary person, but finding it difficult to be alone lately (a very new feeling for me). I got my gym membership back so I could get out of the house, and I'm heading there now. I think the best way to honor my mother right now is to pull myself together and take care of my health.

kirsteng
01-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Thank you for the kind words and expressions of hope. The cancer is pancreatic and has already spread, so... it's the big bad one. I'm a pretty solitary person, but finding it difficult to be alone lately (a very new feeling for me). I got my gym membership back so I could get out of the house, and I'm heading there now. I think the best way to honor my mother right now is to pull myself together and take care of my health.

I'm very very sorry to read this. :hug:

As I mentioned above, I'd been dealing with some personal struggles over the past month or so. One of them was the loss of my step dad to colon cancer. He lived with metastasized stage 4 cancer for a year and a half - much longer than is ever hoped for at that point. So I totally understand what you are facing and wanted to send you one more :hug: and also to let you know how sad I am for you and your mom. :(

I agree - your plan to live your best life can only honour your mom and her struggles... keep up the great work.

I'm here anytime if you want to talk or pm me.

ilsita
01-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Thank you, Kirsteng. :hug: I am so sorry to hear about your stepdad. I really appreciate hearing from people who have been where I am.

I just got back from the gym. I was on the elliptical for about 45 minutes. It was a good decision.

I've dropped the ball on food tracking, but I'll pick that one back up again soon.

Zumbachica
01-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Ilsita, so sorry to hear about your mom. You need tot ake care of your self so that you can be there for her....exercise may be a good stress release for you during this difficult time...

I wrote a super long post and addressed everyone but of cousre i lost it..i hate when that happens.....anyhow I'm hanging in there with the low carb thing.....went to diner last night and had a sugar free dessert but it was really bad, I was better off not having it. The lbs are coming off slowly. I had a zumba class six times this past week but really need to do some other from of working out, figure I would do some Ten Minute Trainer DVD tomorrow...giving my body a rest today...my knees hurt.

Have not been taking my fiber, my vitamins or drinking enough wate.r That is this week's challenge!

Zumbachica
01-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Wow, I fell off the wagon today in a big way.....started when I heard a friend's Dad died and went by her house to give her my condolences...she made coffee and there was a ton of sweets on the table....before I knew it I had consumed an apple turnover and a muffin....it was all downhill from there...It doesn't take much lately to make me lose my will power.

andrew80k
01-30-2012, 08:49 AM

Oh, no! I'm so sorry to hear this. Take care of yourself.

kandd416
01-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Ilsita, In January of 2009 my dad was given 3-6 months to live due to stage 4 lung cancer. He passed away 4/29/10, two weeks to the day past his 70th birthday & I am so thankful for all the time I had with him. As hard as it was, I'm glad I had time to prepare myself for him going.

I'm crying now as I'm writing this, thinking of what you must be feeling. But the main thing is to take care of yourself & enjoy any time you have with your mother.

Hugs,

Kim

andrew80k
01-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Weekend: Did a bunch of garage work Saturday, so didn't get my workout in. :( I did run nearly 5k on Friday night. I ate fairly clean and managed to lose another pound since Thursday.
Challenges: I'm tired.
Today: Focus on Today, get through today. Run tonight.

Zumbachica
01-31-2012, 03:07 PM
Kannd..my Dad died 4/28/10...the day before yours did. He had a horrible stroke that left him locked in. Although he could hear us and understand he was not able to move. He never wanted to be put on a feeding tube so we had no choice but to honor his living will and took him off sustaining care. In other words we had to CHOOSE to let him die. There are no words to express how that feels. I would rather the Lord took him in his own way rather than us make a decision like that. My father and I were very close, and although it has been almost two years my heart has a huge hole in it. I'm sending hugs to you and to anyone here dealing with a sick parent......Enjoy each moment you still have together and try and focus on the good memories.....

Zumbachica
01-31-2012, 03:09 PM
Okay, now that I dried my tears I'll talk about my diet....;) This weekend I totally fell off the wagon but seem to have gotten back on. Setbacks are going to happen. Of course this means no more change on the scale...I feel like I reached a standpoint. I have to try a little harder. I'm teaching an extra zumba class tomorrow so I don't feel the need to work out tonight...my knee is hurting me so I'm resting it. Still doing the low carb thing....I feel my cravings slowly disappearing a bit. If you put a bowl of ice cream in front of me right now I wouldn't want it....a loaf of italian bread with olive oil to dunk it in would be a different story!!! have a good day all.

natamars
02-01-2012, 01:36 PM
It is good to be back! I was sick for several days and struggled just to get through the minimum of what I had to get done. I still have congestion but more energy. I was back at the gym Monday and did strength training at home last night, and have done the stairs at work the past 2 days. Still eating too many calories - let myself eat too many carbs and comfort foods while I was sick and have to wean myself off them again. Going to jog on the treadmill at the gym tonight and see how I do - not ready to attempt speed yet.

zumba, that is such a sad story, and while it must have been so hard to make the decision you did, you were honoring his wishes. I would never want to live that way either or have my children see me like that. I work with several people going through this with their parents now and the stories are heartbreaking - these poor people are wasting away in nursing homes for years, unable to talk. There has to be a better way.

andrew, glad to hear you're still doing well.

ilsita, I'm sure that's exactly what your mom wants you to be doing..we all want our children to be happy and healthy above all else.

kandd, I am so sorry about your dad. Mine died suddenly at 63 of a heart attack, and we were not on good terms when he died, which made it that much sadder. It also made me even closer to my mom.

kristen, I'm sorry you went through such a difficult time recently but am glad you're joining us for this challenge, and hope you can meet your golas.

Kitten1966
02-01-2012, 04:08 PM
I just started on this forum but I would like to join the challenge for the last 14 days. I need some motivation to get my going again as I seem to be just floating with no momentum either way.

My goals are for 14 days....
1) no soda water only
2) exercise at least 30 min per day
3) no snacking on salty things .. veggies only
4) buy new digital
scale that I can't cheat on with weight shift of feet.

kandd416
02-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Weighed in Tuesday morning but haven't been able to get online much results are:

1/9 190.8 (started challenge late)
1/16 189
1/24 187.6
1/31 185.6

Goal weight 180
% of the weight to goal is 48%

Woohoo! I lost 2 lbs. this week, but don't think I'm going to be able to make it to my goal in time. But I'm going to keep trying!

As far as the rest of my goals:

Take vitamins daily- still hit & miss
Log all my food -did great on this
Maintain a daily calorie deficeit- did great on this
Try to support others- I'm trying!
And of course lose that 10 pounds- See above

I'm thinking about joining a February challenge as well since I think this thread has helped to keep me accountable.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Kim

andrew80k
02-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Yesterday(and the day before): I did pretty well between the two days, though Tuesday was a tough day and I missed my workout. I still ate pretty clean both days, though I did kind of an up day on Tuesday and ate at maintenance. Yesterday I ate low to compensate. Got my run in last night. 5k in 33.5 minutes. I'm improving.
Challenges: Everything lately. I'm not 100% feeling right. Might be coming down with something. I was hoping to avoid that this year. Still working 2 jobs and I'm getting weary of it.
Today: Focus on today, get through today. Upper body tonight since I missed it on Tuesday.

I'm down another pound which makes me 13 pounds down total to date. I've met that part of my goal.

Zumbachica
02-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Hi everybody..I finally saw the scale go in the right direction....I'm hungry but feel like I am getting a handle on this again. Yesterday I taught a zumba class and then a half hour toning class.....my joinst hurt so I'm not going to do much today except push ups and crunches. I don't want one day to go by that I don't do "something". Feeling a bit down today but I will not turn to food for comfort..I refuse. Hang in there everybody..weekend is almost here!

natamars
02-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Ugh, still eating too much. My SD was visiting so I didn't make it to the gym last night. My son won a gift card to Baskin Robbins so we all went. I had looked up calories beforehand. The rest of them got Reese's pb sundaes - 1220 calories!!! I didn't tell them though. I ordered a small froyo, but the woman gave me way too much, and I ate it anyway :-(

Just did the stairs at work. Going to run outside at least one day, maybe both - want to test my new GPS running toy.

WTG, Zumba! I like the idea of trying to do something physical every day, just taking it easier when we need to.

Andrew, congrats on the weight loss!! You're really improving fast on your 5K time too. I need to work harder on that.

kandd, nice loss for the week!!!

kitten, welcome!! Those are great goals - you can do this!!

Happy Friday, all!

Sum38
02-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Challenges: Sodium and TOM. I am staring that darn scale too much!

Motivation: I took my monthly measurements, and even tho scale went up, measurements went down. ~ 1.5 inches off waist; 1 inch of bust 0.5 inch of hips. And since my belly is my trouble spot, I loved that 1.5 inch loss.

Today: We walked 6.9 miles @ 4.4 mph. In January we walked 123 miles. Goal is to walk 100 miles this month.

I hope everyone is having an OP weekend and staying healthy!

guacamole
02-03-2012, 03:35 PM
I don't want one day to go by that I don't do "something". Feeling a bit down today but I will not turn to food for comfort..I refuse.

Yes! I think that is the key...even if I am not performing at my peak...just moving is a victory. I went for a walk instead of doing the elliptical...I just didn't have the energy today. I almost skipped exercise entirely, but opted for a walk instead. Even though I didn't burn as many calories, I still feel good about my day.

Good luck on the comfort eating...I am feeling the same way! We can do this!

Zumbachica
02-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Failed today...ate bread. Damn stupid husband brought home fresh bread.

kandyrews
02-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Still been hitting the treadmill walking with some running 5 x a week for 30 minutes and lifting light weights 2-3 x a week. Keeping my calories, for the most part below 1350 although my dinner eating could be better. So far, I've lost 4 pounds, so I'm one away from meeting my Valentines Day challenge of losing 5 pounds. Hopefully, I can get down one more pound by then.

Zumbachica
02-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Wow, gained some weight back already just because of some stupid bread. How annoying. This is the part of dieting that makes me nuts, the constant fluctuations....but there is still time in this challenge so I'll keep on keepin' on. Feel really lazy today, am going to do some ten minute challenge in a moment....and push ups.

memoree
02-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Failed today...ate bread. Damn stupid husband brought home fresh bread.
haha you made me laugh! (not because you failed but love the adjectives for the hubby :) I couldn't have resisted fresh bread either.

natamars
02-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Exercise went well over the weekend. Went ice skating yesterday and ran 6 miles plus a warm-up and cooldown today. STILL too many calories. I have my food prepped for the whole week so that should go better. Staying off the scale until Friday.

Sum, great measurement losses - the walking is really doing it for you!

zumba, you know the weight isn't real, although it sucks to see it. I am about to indulge in some Superbowl food myself.

kandy, FANTASTIC!!!

Zumbachica
02-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Broke down and had some cream pie during Super Bowl. Had a horrible stomach ache afterwards, not smart to have sugar after going sugar free for so long....its done and I'm so happy that the Giants won that I don't care. LOL..whatever the scale says tomorrow it says..today was one day...it was one piece of pie...now onwards....

Natamars, good for you for skating, that burns tons of calories....

kandd416
02-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Chica, bread is my downfall as well. My parents were both from the south & we had some type of bread at every meal. And potatoes. mmmmmmm. I miss them both. Why does bread have to have so many calories?

My husband cracked me up last night as he observed that my dieting takes a lot of work as I was preparing my breakfasts & lunches for a few days. Yes it does, but like the saying goes "failing to plan is planning to fail". I believe that is so true with dieting.

Hope everyone has an OP week!

Sum38
02-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Zumbachica bread is evil!!! :hug: Truly is! I had to go off gluten because of allergy, and my DH started doing research how bad modern wheat is. Now he won't eat wheat, my DD followed the suit. Those two lost 10 pounds (and they are naturally thin). My DD's mood has improved, no ups and downs. Overall we all feel happier and healthier. My DS still eats it. ~ I feel that any dietary change/restriction (unless it is medical) has to come from within. BUT everything in moderation :D

kandd416 happy OP week to you too!

natamars My DH used to build ice skating rink on our back yard! I miss it!

kandd416
02-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Ugh! Weighed in this morning 185.6. Exactly the same as last week. Not TOM and I have no excuse. So disappointing.

Well, one bad weigh in isn't going to keep me down! Time to dust myself off & get back on that horse! Yee Haw!

Here's to an even more on plan week!

andrew80k
02-07-2012, 09:30 AM
One week to go in this challenge. Let's finish strong.

Yesterday: Right on plan, a little low even. Ran 5k.
Challenges: Recovering from parties takes a whole day.
Today: Focus on Today, get through Today. Upper Body tonight.

I'm still tired.

kandd416
02-08-2012, 09:17 AM
I don't think I've ever been so happy to start as I was today. Well............ maybe once or twice in my life. lol

It's TOM about 8 days early, but that helps to explain the non movement on the scale. Woohoo!

Kinda weird because I'm kind of like clockwork, every 26 days, but I know I usually gain around 3 lbs during my TOM so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that next week's weigh in will be good.

Have a great one!

Kim

andrew80k
02-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Yesterday: Good day, stayed on plan. New upper body workout done.
Challenges: Yesterday was a good day. No real challenges.
Today: Focus on today, get through today. Run tonight.

guacamole
02-09-2012, 09:43 AM
For the first time on this board I actually achieved a challenge/mini goal within the set time frame! Got down to 165lbs today! I can't wait to see what the next challenge will be for us 40 somethings. Until then, I will keep plugging away!

Good luck, everyone!

andrew80k
02-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Yesterday: I ate clean, ran my 5k.
Challenges: Staying focused on the other things that I need to get done. Not getting too wrapped up in myself.
Today: Focus on today, get through today. Lower body tonight.

Guac Yay!! Great job!!!

Zumbachica
02-09-2012, 11:11 PM
bad day in court today....ate whatever wasn't nailed down when I got home.....

andrew80k
02-10-2012, 09:12 AM
bad day in court today....ate whatever wasn't nailed down when I got home.....

How'd that make you feel? :D

I've long met my goals in this challenge and have enjoyed it. A few more days left and we'll need to come up with a new one. Any ideas? St. Paddy's? Memorial day is a little too far. Spring Break? That varies for most folks I think. Maybe just a monthly?

kandd416
02-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Great job for those of you that have already made your goals! Andrew, you've been great about updating your progress. Guac, it's great that you've made your goal, even better that it's a head of schedule!

It's looking like I'm not going to quite make my goal for Valentine's day. Two pounds a week is just a little too hard for me to obtain without being super strict in my diet. And I know being super strict is not good for me in the long run.

I've already joined a challenge for February for another short term challenge & then a challenge that runs unil the 4th of July. That should put me at my goal weight with a 1.5 pound per week loss, which I think is doable for me.

I think this challenge has helped keep me motivated. Since I have to report my stats. I will update Tuesday, but wanted to thank everyone here for their support over the last month.

Hoping everyone hits their goal!

Kim

natamars
02-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Finally weighed in and I am up .6 from where I started the challenge. I have once again learned the amount of exercise I am doing is not enough to compensate for too many calories. That even a primarily healthy diet with too many calories can lead to a gain. That the only way for me to be successful is to write everything down and keep to within a calorie range.

On the positive side, I started tracking again today. I've also decided to cut out sugar for a while. I'm not going to obsess about a little sugar in cereal or salad dressing, but none added to tea, and no treats. I swear any granola/fiber bar with chocolate in it has helped bring me to this point. Let's be honest - they're pretty much junk.

Also, I took my first ever swimming class last night! I never learned to swim properly, with my face in the water. I would always hold my nose when I went under. The classes will be one hour, one night a week. I swam for the majority of the time and enjoyed it, and think I burned some decent calories. Several of the people in the class had a real fear of the water, and it was cool to see how far many of them came. And I think they were all older than me.

Kim, 1.5 lbs/week is an awesome pace..fantastic work! If everyone sends me their stats I will do a summary next week.

andrew, St. Paddy's is a good idea, personally I perfer the shorter challenges tolong-term.

zumba, I'm so sorry you had a bad day. Courts can be so dehumanizing. It's a new day and it's Friday, and the sun is shining here..see if you can get out for a while today and just breathe.

andrew, what's your 5K time now? I haven't worked on speed at all the last few weeks. I just bought a foot pod to wear with my GPS watch for running indoors, so I'll be testing that this weekend..supposed to be cold and snowy here. I'm signed up for a 5K in April, but I may run it with my son so I can't be pushing the time. trying to get DH to do it too so I can run ahead of them :-)

guac, YAY on meeting your goal!!!

guacamole
02-10-2012, 12:04 PM
natamars -so cool that you are taking swimming lessons! I also like how you are taking your weigh-ins and learning something practical and doable from them. You are doing great!

kandd416 - I often don't make challenges in the given time frame either - it's just a goal to shoot for - but you WILL get there even if it is after Valentine's day.

andrew80k - You are really cruising along! I think that a monthly goal is a great idea! St. Patrick's day is Saturday, March 17th, 2012 this year. Maybe that is good time frame after this Valentine's Day challenge? It's fun to have a challenge revolve around a special day. Although, a simple last day of the month challenge is fine too.

I am a little bit leery, because I didn't lose a single pound in January, so what if I don't lose anything in March. Maybe I am doomed to only lose weight every other month? Well, I won't be a defeatist, and will try and do whatever monthly challenge we come up with next.

andrew80k
02-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Andrew, St. Paddy's is a good idea, personally I prefer the shorter challenges to long-term.

Andrew, what's your 5K time now? I haven't worked on speed at all the last few weeks. I just bought a foot pod to wear with my GPS watch for running indoors, so I'll be testing that this weekend..supposed to be cold and snowy here. I'm signed up for a 5K in April, but I may run it with my son so I can't be pushing the time. trying to get DH to do it too so I can run ahead of them :-)

I'm up for St. Paddy's too. I like the shorter term ones as well. It's part of my new "Slight Edge". :)

My best this time around so far is 32:23. I have a Suunto T-4 and I have a foot pod for it. I haven't tried that yet since I have really bad shin splints and have trouble running outside.

Andrew, you've been great about updating your progress.

Thanks! Are you interested in joining a St. Paddy's day challenge or an end of March challenge here?

andrew80k - You are really cruising along! I think that a monthly goal is a great idea! St. Patrick's day is Saturday, March 17th, 2012 this year. Maybe that is good time frame after this Valentine's Day challenge? It's fun to have a challenge revolve around a special day. Although, a simple last day of the month challenge is fine too.

I'm OK either way too. The Valentine's day puts us at the middle of the month and we could do an end of March or St. Paddy's day. After thinking about it we might be better off doing an end of March since there isn't any sort of significant holiday until the end of May and we can transition from month to month going forward until summer and we can do Memorial Day and July 4th. Thoughts?

guacamole
02-13-2012, 03:12 PM
After thinking about it we might be better off doing an end of March since there isn't any sort of significant holiday until the end of May and we can transition from month to month going forward until summer and we can do Memorial Day and July 4th. Thoughts?

I am fine with doing an end of March challenge. Whatever works for everyone else.

kandd416
02-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Does this challenge end today or tomorrow? I've joined a challenge through the end of February, through Easter & through the 4th of July. Whew! But I'm hoping that the mini-challenges will keep me on track.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-up-challenge/252712-easter-hopping-health-challenge.html#post4212960

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-up-challenge/251683-anyone-up-challenge-now-through-july-4th.html

I will update my stats tomorrow. I know I didn't reach my goal, but I'm on my way & moving in the right direction.

Hopefully I will see ya'll at another challenge.

Have a good one.

Kim

kandd416
02-15-2012, 02:30 PM
It's official. I did not make my goal by today.As of this morning I weighed in at 184.2. That's a total loss of 6.6 pounds or about 61% of what I wanted to lose. So now I'm trying to make the 180 by the end of February.

To all of you that made your goal, congratulations.

To all of you that didn't, like me, keep up the work & we will get there. Maybe not as quickly as we wanted to, but we will get there.

Hope to see you all around.

Hugs,

Kim

andrew80k
02-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Kim Congratulations. You made progress and you stuck with it. That's success in every sense. It's all part of finding a path you can follow for the long haul. You will get there.

guacamole
02-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Hey guys! Congratulations to everyone for getting healthier and working at forming good eating and exercise habits. That's the real benefit of these challenges - to keep us on track - even if we don't meet our weight goals at the end of them.

I started a new March challenge thread - so everyone up for the next 40-Something challenge, please join in!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/252928-march-madness-challenge.html

kandyrews
02-17-2012, 12:51 PM
I met my goal of losing 5 pounds by Valentines day, but it was a slow 5 pounds to come off. I just hit my goal right on the dot. I'm up for another goal, but don't know how well I'll do next time because already this past week I didn't lose anything.

guacamole
02-17-2012, 12:55 PM
kandyrews - Woo hoo! Congrats on the 5lb loss! Now you've got the ball rolling and it will only gain momentum and keep going from here! :carrot:
Join us in the March Madness Challenge! You can set your own goal at your own pace. It helps to have a place to check in every day.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-s...challenge.html

Also, read this post about 1 pound. It's really true and inspirational -

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/16319-one-pound.html

kandyrews
02-17-2012, 06:31 PM
kandyrews - Woo hoo! Congrats on the 5lb loss! Now you've got the ball rolling and it will only gain momentum and keep going from here! :carrot:
Join us in the March Madness Challenge! You can set your own goal at your own pace. It helps to have a place to check in every day.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-s...challenge.html

Also, read this post about 1 pound. It's really true and inspirational -

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/16319-one-pound.html

Thanks that 1 pound was a good read. As for the link http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-s...challenge.html it didn't work for me?

guacamole
02-18-2012, 08:47 PM
kandyrews - That one pound post really helped me put things into perspective. Glad you found it helpful too! I see you already found the March challenge, but hopefully this link will work for anyone else interested....

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/252928-march-madness-challenge.html