Weight Loss Support - only lost 2lbs in the first week?! that normal?

makemeskinnny
01-08-2012, 04:44 PM
im kind of disheartened that it seems ive only lost 2lbs in the first week of my weight loss programme? (well unless ive lost anymore today, which i doubt)
ive been following my eating regime and drinking plenty of water. i know when ive done weight-watchers in the past i lost about 5-7lbs in my first week. im really confused to why ive only lost 2lbs any advice or help as to why this has happened?

CherryQuinn
01-08-2012, 04:47 PM
probably didnt lose as much water weight as you did with weight watchers. if youre losing alot more then 2lbs a week its most likely water and muscle and not fat. sounds like you lost fat this time

DrivenByAmbition
01-08-2012, 04:50 PM
I lost 2 lbs my first week and 5 the next. Points plus is different but I really like it. On the old plan I lost 7 the first week and none the second.

Foxevil
01-08-2012, 04:54 PM
I lost 2lbs this week too. It seems to be pretty normal. Some diets you get a big loss in the first week but it's almost exclusively water weight.

sontaikle
01-08-2012, 05:02 PM
:) "only" 2 pounds?

You still lost! That's wonderful! Be patient with your body; weight loss isn't a race.

makemeskinnny
01-08-2012, 05:04 PM
im just impatient and -2lbs from all the weight i aim to lose is nothing compared to how much i have left, ill never do it at this rate =[ im just losing the motivatin. i mean 87lbs is a lot and going to take forever.

CherryQuinn
01-08-2012, 05:08 PM
ive lost 70 and have 115 to go i wish i had 87 to go , youll do it itll just take more time than you thought

sontaikle
01-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Being impatient and trying to lose faster is just a recipe for disaster :(

When I started up my weight loss journey again in May at 192 pounds after dropping 8 in December 2010, I lost at a rate of around 1.8 or 1.9 pounds a week (I forget exactly, I did the math not too long ago) and I got to my goal weight in approximately seven months.

Seven months to drop that much weight isn't long at all. 2 pounds here and there adds up. If you focus on the immediate and celebrate each time you lose a pound rather than getting upset that you haven't lost more, your weight loss journey will feel so much shorter than it really is.

Because I focused on one pound at a time it seemed like my goal creeped up on me! Time had flew by and I was there already! :)

makemeskinnny
01-08-2012, 05:15 PM
yeah your right. ive given myself 1year to do it so thats still 357 days, 50 weeks. got plenty of time to lose it. i think because ive got so much fat on me i cant see the inches coming off. i mean is it possible to lose 14" off belly, 5" off bust, 7" off hips and 6" off thighs?

LW12
01-08-2012, 05:17 PM
im just impatient and -2lbs from all the weight i aim to lose is nothing compared to how much i have left, ill never do it at this rate =[ im just losing the motivatin. i mean 87lbs is a lot and going to take forever.

Keep going hun! You lost 2lbs, that's great, plus its more motivating that no loss at all. I'm in the same sort of starting position as you & I'm wanting to lose similar weight. Its a long road but as long as the numbers keeping coming down in the right direction we should be happy. :)

CherryQuinn
01-08-2012, 05:17 PM
i guess that depends on what your measurements are at now? in the last 23lbs ive lost 5 inches off of bust stomach and hips each. unfortunately i had no butt to begin with lol

makemeskinnny
01-08-2012, 05:23 PM
i want to be about 36/26/36 at the min i am 42/41/46...wow bigger than i thought, it is possible?

CherryQuinn
01-08-2012, 05:26 PM
definetly. i actually want to be the same measurements. youre only a bit shorter than me so i hope its possible lol! my measurements are 47-39-47 you might not get it perfectly 36-26-36 cause everyones body shape is different but yea its possible to get to a 26 waist

evilwomaniamshe
01-08-2012, 05:29 PM
2 lbs is AWESOME!
Look at it this way, you lost 2 of these!!!!
http://blog.mypypeline.com/2009/05/what-does-it-take-to-lose-pound-of-body.html

makemeskinnny
01-08-2012, 05:31 PM
yeah i dont mind them being out by an inch or two =] would like to be a 24 inch waist ideally but ill take it a step at a time lol. im aiming for a size 10-12 (UK) currently 18-20 =[ i just cant wait to wear a dress and feel sexy

CherryQuinn
01-08-2012, 05:33 PM
yea im a uk 20 id like to be 10 as well. seems we have similar goals.

makemeskinnny
01-08-2012, 05:33 PM
wow looking at it that way its actually made me much happier =] 2lbs is quite alot when u see it like that. thanks

makemeskinnny
01-08-2012, 05:35 PM
yeah, it be good to keep in touch with someone with same starting and goal weight as me :) whats your goal time? uve done really well coming down from the 300s im inspired

CherryQuinn
01-08-2012, 05:37 PM
right now im hopeing for an average of 2lbs a week maybe less so im thinking by next febuary or march ill be there give or take

makemeskinnny
01-08-2012, 05:39 PM
what size was you when you started if you dont mind me asking? im hoping to be my goal weight by new years eve this year.

CherryQuinn
01-08-2012, 05:41 PM
when i started at 335 i was i think in newfoundland 24 so 28 uk O____O

makemeskinnny
01-08-2012, 05:47 PM
and youve droped 4 dress sizes :O thats wonderful. random question but did your skin tighten up with the weight loss or do you have like flabby bits?

sontaikle
01-08-2012, 05:50 PM
i want to be about 36/26/36 at the min i am 42/41/46...wow bigger than i thought, it is possible?

I've got almost the same starting and goal measurements.

My starting measurements were (from what I remember): 44/35/46
My measurements now (at 131 pounds) are 37/26/36

A lot really depends on where you carry weight, your bone structure, etc. I think I have the waist that I do because I have a very triangular ribcage, which explains why it measures at 32" just under my bust but 26" at my natural waist :)

makemeskinnny
01-08-2012, 05:54 PM
wow now that has deffo inspired me :) and how long did that take?

LW12
01-08-2012, 05:54 PM
what size was you when you started if you dont mind me asking? im hoping to be my goal weight by new years eve this year.

I'm aiming for New Year's Eve too as my end goal (although I'm aware it could take less or more time depending on me). I want to buy a knock out dress & go for cocktails that night feeling slim & sexy. :)

CherryQuinn
01-08-2012, 05:56 PM
i dont have loose skin , everything went back right, my arms need toning but that comes with the female territory anyways lol they almost always need toning. i do a lot of dance i dont know if that helped keep me firm or just age and genes

makemeskinnny
01-08-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm aiming for New Year's Eve too as my end goal (although I'm aware it could take less or more time depending on me). I want to buy a knock out dress & go for cocktails that night feeling slim & sexy. :)

yea i want to buy a gorgeous dress and just go out into town bumping into as many people as i know for them to not recognise me. going to get my hair and nails done, the works.

makemeskinnny
01-08-2012, 05:58 PM
im scared of losing the weight but being all flabby and covered in stretch marks =[

sontaikle
01-08-2012, 05:58 PM
wow now that has deffo inspired me :) and how long did that take?

7 months to go from 192 to 135 :) but a little less than a month later (so 8 months) I was past my goal and hit 131.

Before that I lost 8 pounds in December 2010.

So altogether to drop almost 70 pounds it took me about 9 months. Not really a long time if you think about it! :)

makemeskinnny
01-08-2012, 06:06 PM
what was u average loss a week? gosh 9 months, i could be slim by my biryhday in september then.

LW12
01-08-2012, 06:07 PM
im scared of losing the weight but being all flabby and covered in stretch marks =[

Cross that bridge when you come to it hun. Its more important to get the weight off & be happy & healthier for it. Just imagine the both of us out in our towns on New Year's Eve totally happy with the progress we've made!

CherryQuinn
01-08-2012, 06:08 PM
any stretch marks you have will still be there most likely but if youre pale like me, they aren't noticeable unless someone is reallly close and really staring

sontaikle
01-08-2012, 06:20 PM

I have stretch marks and extra skin unfortunately. I gained a lot of weight quickly in high school and have a lot on my back. My arms and legs are toned (I lift weights so they're actually quite muscular) but I have extra skin on my stomach.

It's annoying, but trust me I would much rather be here with stretch marks and extra skin than at my starting weight. I can't even describe how great I feel being strong and healthy right now.

what was u average loss a week? gosh 9 months, i could be slim by my biryhday in september then.

I averaged it out to 1.8 or 1.9 pounds a week. I rarely actually lost that amount in a week though. Some weeks I might lose 4, another week I would lose nothing...I was all over the place. There were several points where I would be "stuck" at a weight for two weeks or more and then lose rapidly.

All I have to say is don't get discouraged and stick with it! The weight will come off :)

baker23
01-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Two pounds a week is amazing :) Those two pounds add up. In a month, oops...8-10 is gone...another month...the same....In two months you could potentially be down 20 pounds at that rate :)...Weight loss takes time. You didn't gain overnight, and you won't lose it overnight either.

Its taken me 3 1/2 years to drop 160 pounds off my body(with a 9 month break in that). I wish i lost as fast as you. Just be patient.

And don't worry about stretchmarks and "flab"....Even if you do end up with some, its a good tradeoff from carrying around all the excess weight :) Good luck on your journey and keep posting to help you stay motivated.

JM14534
01-08-2012, 07:09 PM
There's no miracles. We didn't get here overnight and were not going to lose it overnight either. Do your best every day and the change will happen. :-)

caliyah
01-09-2012, 01:18 AM
I just lost 2 lbs my first week. So long as the scale is going down that's all that matters. Some weeks it will be 2..others it could be four. take it as a victory
= ) Slow and steady wins the race

makemeskinnny
01-10-2012, 03:05 PM
well after getting on the scales yesterday morning after my first wee i discovered i havent lost 2lbs i only lose one =[ i was even more upset.
today though ive decided not to let it get me down, stick to my deit and think positive. i took the dog for a 2mile walk this morn and i did two zumba sessions on the wii =] i will beat this and become slim

Esofia
01-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Oh dear, have you been watching The Biggest Loser or something? Because 1lb in a week is actually a very good rate of weight loss, faster than average, and the most important thing is that you are still losing and still continuing. Any loss at all is great, the timescale doesn't matter as much. Trust me, once you start noticing the difference on your body you'll be thrilled. There's a saying somewhere around here that it takes four weeks for you to notice the difference on your body, eight weeks for the people close to you to notice, and twelve weeks for the people who don't know you well to notice, so you should definitely give it at least twelve weeks before you even think about quitting. In my experience, that timescale is dead on. Another popular saying here is, In a year from now, you'll be glad you didn't quit today. Personally, I've lost at a steady 1lb/week, apart from the last month where I've been ill and haven't lost at all. I'm secure enough in my dieting by now not to be too bothered, as I know that I'm continuing to stick to my diet and that it's just a temporary blip, the weight will continue to come off. I'm more or less at goal anyway.

I found that I was most self-conscious about my diet when I began it. After a while, you stop thinking about it as much and it becomes more routine, more natural.

As for stretchmarks, I don't have any apart from the very mild ones which have been on my hips since I was a teenager (no idea why, my weight was constant back them, it just happens to people), and I haven't ended up with loose skin (I'm 34). Nor would I say that I'm flabby, and this is despite being largely bedbound from disability and getting no exercise whatsoever. You're a youngster, your skin has a much better chance of springing back happily.

I noticed from your profile that you're a home care assistant. Good for you! I have a team of four support workers/care workers myself, and I hugely appreciate the work that they do. Judging from them, I'm guessing that your work times can be chaotic and lacking in space for mealtimes, so you'll probably need to make more effort to make sure that you eat regularly and sensibly.

makemeskinnny
01-10-2012, 03:53 PM
haha yeah i do watch the biggest loser, i watch all weight loss programmes, maybe its them that give me the idea that losing 1lb is not good. i guess it is good =]
this may sound weird but this is my 2nd week of weight loss and i think i can already tell the difference in myself - my stomach doesnt look as big, ive notices my skin is looking alot clearer since drinking plenty of water and taking multi-vitamins.
yeah being in a care home is very choatic and i dont always have time for a proper meal but i try to have my weight watcher meal at dinner time as it only takes 7-10 mins to heat in the microwave - that is my main meal of the day then i have a sachet of cuppa soup for my tea, im trying not to eat after 6pm as ive heard your body finds it hardler to burn off or something.
i take my water bottle with me where ever i go so im still able to drink enough fluids which to me what my main concern.

Esofia
01-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Sounds like you're generally doing well, apart from needing to disconnect from unrealistic weight loss shows! Ignore the idea that you should or shouldn't eat at any particular time, though, it's a myth. The most important thing about a weight loss plan is that it works well for you, that you are happy on it and can continue comfortably on it long term.

A cuppa soup for tea doesn't sound like much, though, especially if you're stopping eating that early. Are you not getting hungry in the evenings, or are you one of those people who does best with eating their main meal earlier in the day and eating more lightly in the evening?

Ryler832
01-10-2012, 06:49 PM

Sorry if i sound a bit harsh. This all depends on where you carry your weight and your body shape. Not everyone has the "ideal" hourglass shape with 36/26/36 measurements. If it were that easy everyone would work towards an hourglass figure.

Judging on your current measurement I am going to say that it may or may not be possible to achieve an hourglass shape. It is better to take one step at a time.

Losing 2 or even 1 pound a week is great. It's better than gaining so cut yourself some slack. Don't look at how far you have to go. It'll stress you out. Instead of looking at the big picture why not just make small goals and tackle each pound one at a time.

MeganTheMushroom
01-10-2012, 07:49 PM
I thought 1 lb was normal a week? 2 lbs for obese people.

Anyway, I think any loss is a good loss when trying to lose weight! :)