Dieting with Obstacles - Quick Question about BCP, PCOS and TOM!

DesertTabby
01-05-2012, 03:27 AM
Hey guys!

So I found out late last year (2011) that I am a strong candidate of PCOS (along with my hypothyroidism, low estrogen/protestrogen levels, and Insulin Resistance.) I am currently on birth control pills (Diane 35) for the first time. I have a question however regarding weight fluctuations and TOM.

Considering that you're on the pill up until the day you stop or take placebos, when does the weight increase for you guys for the TOM? I figure as long as you're taking the pills your body would keep thinking you're 'period free' and so you shouldn't be gaining until you stop, then you get your period two days after. Is this correct or do you still get PMS and pre-TOM weight gain while on the pill anyways? How does that even work?

I'm trying to decide if my weight gain was a result of my sodium intake levels and exercise or my upcoming period (I took a pill yesterday night but today will be my first day off and its still morning) so any help and experience would be greatly appreciated!

Buutastic
01-09-2012, 11:17 AM
I've been on bcp since I was diagnosed 7 years ago, so hopefully I can help a little bit.

For me, regardless of bcp or not, I always stall or gain a couple pounds the day before or day of my period. It usually stays that way until it's finished, and then I'll lose at least a pound plus any I gained. I know that everyone is different, but I still have PMS and retain water :(

Good luck to you, I'm sure as time goes on you'll figure out your body's pattern!

astrophe
01-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Been on the pill on and off since I was 16. I am also PCOS/IR hypothyroid.

For me, I always tend toward PMS bloat on the week before the placebo pills. When it sheds, I know TOM is about to happen.

But it is diff for everyone so just take notes on what YOUR normal pattern is.

HTH!
A.