Ideal Protein Diet - A Poor Girls DIY Ideal Protein Success!

GoRosieGo
01-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Hello Everyone! My name is Rosie, and I am so happy :):carrot:
Before the holidays I had a nutrition consultation with an IP doctor, and I realized that I have metabolic syndrome which would account for my weight, high cholesterol, and hypothyroidism, as well as my weight gain, and struggle to lose weight. I am only 24 years old, and I've always been an athlete sports year round, my whole life, until I hit college, and everything went downhill from there. I rapidly put on weight, and I hit my staggering 265lbs, which I could normally hide being 5'10" girl, but that was just way too fat for me.
So, I decided to try IP, but the problem is, I am young, starting off with a Navy sailor, and I didn't have the $92+ a week for the diet. So, being the crafty DIY-type girl, I read all I could find about the IP diet, and I am doing it myself, for much cheaper.
Instead of the protein packets, I make myself Whey Isolate shakes that are sugar free carb free and fat free, twice a day, and I cook myself lean meats and tons of salad and veg. with Walden farms dressings (which I'm trying to get used to, but I use a lot of salt free seasonings and fresh herbs instead)...
I also got my own vitamin supplements, Ca, Mg, K, sea salt, and I am also taking Green Tea extract and Chromium, which I know helps with weight loss.
So, here's the conclusion to this post; even though I am still very far from my goal weight, today at one week, I've lost 14lbs! I know most of it is water weight, but I have been meticulous with the diet, and walking a few miles a day, and doing yoga. I am so happy, and this is the best confidence boost I could have ever gotten on my first week.
This site has helped me so much in terms of advice and motivation.
So, for those who are on a tight budget, but motivated, there is hope! You can DIY and have results, I just hope that I can reach my goal in time for my December wedding, and keep it off for the rest of my life!
I know I am only one week in, and I shouldn't get ahead of myself, but I am just bursting with excitement today and good luck to everyone in their fitness ambitions!!
Healthfully yours,
Rosie:D

Bellamack
01-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Rosie,

Congrats to you! Many people use alternatives, including myself, so you can get more ideas (foodwise) on the alternative thread. I personally hate the walden farms, they taste like chemicals. I do use the Bleu Cheese dip and mix it with Franks hot buffalo sauce and make a Chicken -wing-like salad. You can have 2 t of olive oil a day, so that is what I use on my salads. Keep up the good work, you are through the hardest week!

wuv2bloved
01-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Congrats on making this work for you. It is amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it. There are lots that are using alternatives on here so you should be able to get lots of ideas like Bellamack said. Congrats on that 14lbs....it is POSSIBLE even though it is water weight. Sounds like you have your head in the right place PLUS you have a goal to work toward....your wedding. Let us know if you need any help, we will be more than glad to help ya out as much as we can:)

DanafromAustin
01-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Congratulations on making it work for you. Great job!:carrot:

NavyMommy
01-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Way to go!! I'm just restarting with alternative products and feel the same way, can't wait to get to my first WI. If you search alternatives on this site there are TONS of great options and ways to customize it. I've just started ordering from Nausha Nutrition and I love the added variety. The first week is the hardest so as long as you don't give into bad habits you should be feeling great and ready for your wedding!!

mrsmurphy
01-02-2012, 06:11 PM
That's awesome Rosie!

I just started today and I am using all alternative products as well! I know I probably won't lose 14 pounds BUT i am hoping it is significant next Monday!

r101
01-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Good Job Rosie! It's always wonderful to hear success stories. Glad to know this diet can be modified and still be successful!

I've been on the fence about switching to alternatives. Anyone care to share what they ordered (actual product names) from Nashua and lindora. I've seen the alternative threads, and the comparison spreadsheet, but it would be great to know what folk order/reorder regularly because it works for them?

GoRosieGo
01-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Thank you everyone for all of your positive support and feedback, it really made my night! It is hard to not give in to bad habits, like tonight at dinner, I had some steak, but it was hard to ignore the big bowl of carrots potatoes and onions, and the buttery dinner rolls that everyone else was enjoying, but as I ate my steak, veg, and salad, I thought to myself how amazing I already feel, and that I would do anything to not revert to my poor food choices. I then took that opportunity to announce to my family that I weighed myself for the first time and lost weight! They were all so happy for me, and I felt great.
I also learned a new trick that works for me, maybe it will work for some other dieters that have in between meal cravings..
I realized that if I religiously brush my teeth after every time I eat, I don't have any lingering food taste in my mouth, and I feel so fresh and clean that I only can think of drinking some ice cold water to compliment the minty freshness :)
It's definitely helped me control my cravings, it may not work for you, but it definitely keeps the teeth nice and pearly white :)
Hope you are all doing well on your diets, and good luck to everyone in their fitness quest!
Rosie

JellyMae87
01-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Thank you everyone for all of your positive support and feedback, it really made my night! It is hard to not give in to bad habits, like tonight at dinner, I had some steak, but it was hard to ignore the big bowl of carrots potatoes and onions, and the buttery dinner rolls that everyone else was enjoying, but as I ate my steak, veg, and salad, I thought to myself how amazing I already feel, and that I would do anything to not revert to my poor food choices. I then took that opportunity to announce to my family that I weighed myself for the first time and lost weight! They were all so happy for me, and I felt great.
I also learned a new trick that works for me, maybe it will work for some other dieters that have in between meal cravings..
I realized that if I religiously brush my teeth after every time I eat, I don't have any lingering food taste in my mouth, and I feel so fresh and clean that I only can think of drinking some ice cold water to compliment the minty freshness :)
It's definitely helped me control my cravings, it may not work for you, but it definitely keeps the teeth nice and pearly white :)
Hope you are all doing well on your diets, and good luck to everyone in their fitness quest!
Rosie

I totally agree about brushing your teeth. It really does help!!

shelly ann
01-03-2012, 02:17 AM
Brava to you Rosie!!! I agree about brushing your teeth. It's a great tip. I applaud everyone going it alone. There are lots of terrific ideas, recipes and support here. Always good to have new people with new ideas.

mamacitaof2
01-03-2012, 08:44 AM
I've been using the ProtiDiet and ProtiThin products from Nashua Nutrition. I belive I also have some Weight loss systems products and they sent a sample of HealthSmart hot chocolate which I'll probably reorder. For RTD I use EAS Carb Advantage. You can find it at your local grocery. I paid $8 for a 6-pack. I also found it at Sams Club 24 for $28.

IPRound2
01-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Rosie

i agree on brushing teeth to help with cravings. I also read somewhere on the site to drink hot tea to help feel full longer. I think that really works for me between breakfast and lunch. I am using EAS shakes and a few Lindora products but i love the shakes and their easy so their 95% of my day. congrats on the great weight loss.

IPRound2
01-03-2012, 04:13 PM
i agree on brushing teeth to help with cravings. I also read somewhere on the site to drink hot tea to help feel full longer. I think that really works for me between breakfast and lunch. I am using EAS shakes and a few Lindora products but i love the shakes and their easy so their 95% of my day. congrats on the great weight loss.

I mean THEY'RE not their. Terrible of me.

Geminspector
01-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Hi Rose,
Like you, I am new and recently started my own DIY version of Ideal through alternatives. I have been lurking for several weeks and waiting for an new alternative thread to jump in and get my feet wet! We are sharing a similar daily diet with the exception of the shakes. I travel a lot and the EAS Carb control RTD's are much easier for me. I am trying to keep my carb count between 30-40 per day. Your 14 lb loss in the first week is outstanding!!! {{{applause}}}}(I would insert clapping bouncing dudes here if I knew how) I had my first weigh in today and though I was doing good with a 5lb loss! I also have been drinking hot tea to feel full while satisfying my sweet tooth - I use herbal apple and add a cinnamon stick with liquid stevia - It tastes like hot cider. Good job and I can't wait to see your next stats!

Mizzthingaling
01-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Congrats on your weight loss and sticking to it. I am also on alternatives after already trying IP with a coach. I use EAS, Designer Whey and Syntrax Nectar. I like a little variety. We are around the same age. If you ever need a buddy let me know.

GoRosieGo
01-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Thank you everyone for all the support, I did have the EAS Carb Control shakes for my first week, and they were $4.97 for a 4pack at Walmart. I like them because they helped with my sweet tooth cravings after dinner, and before bedtime... I like the dark chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. This week I got a big whey protein powder, pineapple banana flavor. It's okay.
I only changed because I noticed there was a little fate in the EAS shakes, and I thought I could try and cut out fat completely with the powder. It works, but it's definitely not as satisfying, I will probably switch back after I get through the barrel of powder i bought lol.
I appreciate everyone's advice for alternative products. I also was thinking of buying the IP cookbook online, my doctor has a copy in her office, and most of the recipes are just regular, you don't need the protein packs or anything, so I may get that for a bit of variety, I'm starting to get a bit tired of my meals, but I LOVE to cook (I think that's why I'm in this predicament to start!:P ) so I can figure it out.
Also, I am on Endonmondo online, it's a fun sports tracker that works with smart phones, it tracks your route via gps, tells you the calories burned, distance, time, etc, and it has many sports to choose from! It's a fun motivator, and a positive fitness community. If anyone wants to be my friend look for me!
Good luck in your fitness goals this week everyone! Rosie

sarahmayhem
01-04-2012, 02:57 PM
congrats on doing this on your own! the results speak for themselves; you're doing a fantastic job! it sounds like you're committed and motivated! keep it up, girl!

ps - nice to see another tall girl around here :)

wuv2bloved
01-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Thank you everyone for all the support, I did have the EAS Carb Control shakes for my first week, and they were $4.97 for a 4pack at Walmart. I like them because they helped with my sweet tooth cravings after dinner, and before bedtime... I like the dark chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. This week I got a big whey protein powder, pineapple banana flavor. It's okay.
I only changed because I noticed there was a little fate in the EAS shakes, and I thought I could try and cut out fat completely with the powder. It works, but it's definitely not as satisfying, I will probably switch back after I get through the barrel of powder i bought lol.
I appreciate everyone's advice for alternative products. I also was thinking of buying the IP cookbook online, my doctor has a copy in her office, and most of the recipes are just regular, you don't need the protein packs or anything, so I may get that for a bit of variety, I'm starting to get a bit tired of my meals, but I LOVE to cook (I think that's why I'm in this predicament to start!:P ) so I can figure it out.
Also, I am on Endonmondo online, it's a fun sports tracker that works with smart phones, it tracks your route via gps, tells you the calories burned, distance, time, etc, and it has many sports to choose from! It's a fun motivator, and a positive fitness community. If anyone wants to be my friend look for me!
Good luck in your fitness goals this week everyone! Rosie

Try going to justapinch.com there are a ton of low carb recipes there. My mom did alternatives and picked some up there.

AmberN
02-04-2012, 12:47 AM
Rosie I'm glad you started this thread. I have a few aquaintences who have had amazing results with this program and last year I tried to duplicate it on my own but at the time there didn't seem to be as much information on calorie amounts etc available online. This time around there is! yay! I'm so glad for this particular website!

I actually had great results the first time around but fell off the wagon after a few weeks. I also structured it a little closer to south beach but with shakes for breakfast and lunch because I get sick of eggs really quickly.

Anyways, I just started on the 1st. I actually started at lunch because I'm always putting off starting utnil the next day or the following monday, I figured enough excuses! Start now! I tried talking myself out of it because my birthday is next week and I plan on going out to a fancy teahouse and making a super awesome chocolate cake (I need a new picture for my website). I am not cancelling those things and understand that I won't get the loss that would be expected inthe first two weeks but it's my birthday...yeah yeah I know my weight loss should come first but if I ignore these things on my birthday then my day will go by without notice other than a phonecall here or there.

You see my hubby moved two months ago to another town to become the fire chief there while me and my two kiddos stay here until the house sells. It's been two months. :(

Anyway, had I taken advantage of the first two months I could be down major weight by now! But I'm starting now that's what matters. Even if I have a couple of planned cheats already, I am happy with my decision to start now rather than wasting another week.

Momto2cs
02-04-2012, 12:59 AM
Ip is a great program, but it is not a good program to start with a plan to cheat. You will not get the results.

Maybe it's best to wait until after your plans, or maybe you will be satisfied with little or no loss.

Survalia
02-04-2012, 11:18 AM
I thought I could try and cut out fat completely with the powder.

You NEED a little fat. That is why the IP protocol calls for 2 tsp olive oil per day. Don't try to cut it all completely. Others have posted that when their fat consumption got too low their loss stalled.

BCGirl
02-04-2012, 05:54 PM
... I actually started at lunch because I'm always putting off starting utnil the next day or the following monday, I figured enough excuses! Start now! I tried talking myself out of it because my birthday is next week and I plan on going out to a fancy teahouse and making a super awesome chocolate cake (I need a new picture for my website). I am not cancelling those things and understand that I won't get the loss that would be expected inthe first two weeks but it's my birthday...yeah yeah I know my weight loss should come first but if I ignore these things on my birthday then my day will go by without notice other than a phonecall here or there.

You see my hubby moved two months ago to another town to become the fire chief there while me and my two kiddos stay here until the house sells. It's been two months. :(

Anyway, had I taken advantage of the first two months I could be down major weight by now! But I'm starting now that's what matters. Even if I have a couple of planned cheats already, I am happy with my decision to start now rather than wasting another week.

AmberN, I'm so glad you're back on plan.

I just wanted to "weigh in" about your birthday - you could celebrate and recognize yourself by showing that you don't need the cake (tea is good!).

With it being so early being back on plan you'll prove to yourself that you can celebrate without food and your improved health will be the best present for you and your kids! There will be lots of time for cake when you get where you're going weight wise. In the last 6 months here I've seen so many people who wish they were strict with themselves about special occasions because there will always be another special event with special food treats.

Just my 2 cents - all the support in the world here either way :).

AmberN
02-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Honestly, it's the thought of a special piece of cake for my birthday that's getting me through the harsh cravings of the first few days with no cheats. I know it will throw me off, but I plan on having the cake cheat late in the day so I'm not going to be awake for the sugar crash and then the next day I'm right back on plan.

I am for the most part I am a healthy eater. My problem is overeating during meals and when it comes to snacking, I am an after dinner sweet carb eater. If I dont' observe this week as a diet week then it's just a week wasted full of granola bars and cereal, why not start getting my mind used to the diet even though I may be in and out of ketosis 2-3 days in my first two weeks.

As I noticed while on plan the first time around, it took a couple days to get rid of the more intense sugar cravings (past those now) and took a couple more to notice how sweet vegetables started to taste (my broccoli was soo sweet lastnight!) but it took over 2 weeks for my mind to reset to the point that I didn't have to think about every bite I was eating. I am taking this week to change my bad habits, not particularly to stay in ketosis from the onset.

I also remember from the first time around that I did have something sweet a few weeks in and all I could taste was the intense sweetness of refined sugar and the chalky taste of bleached flour, so perhaps it's just the mental image of the delicious treat that is getting my mind through and who knows if I will actually even eat a 'normal' slice of cake.

Anyways, my weigh in is the morning of my birthday, so I will have a week to enter back in to ketosis and continue losing. :D

How about for your mindset, you think of me as just making a lifestyle change then after my birthday you can think of me as being on IP? ;) heehee

thin4me
02-04-2012, 11:40 PM
I know I am only one week in, and I shouldn't get ahead of myself, but I am just bursting with excitement today and good luck to everyone in their fitness ambitions!!
Healthfully yours,
Rosie:D

With the amount of research you put into your diet you should be commended! You will succeed as you definitely have the determination to do so - totally awesome!!!

thin4me
02-05-2012, 02:37 PM
That's strange, I just read a post regarding "New Lifestyle Diet" but now it has vanished????

I was excited to see "chip" type products however the protein seems low and the carbs seem high but could be doable considering my premier protein shake has 30g of protein which would make up the difference. Unfortunately the same issues with delivering to Canada - taxes and duty :(

I'm looking for another site that is simple for Canadians to purchase from - have already ordered from Proteinwell but would like more of a variety

Patty17
02-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Way to go Rosie! I have been considering switching to alternatives because of the cost. Great to read your story, inspiring.

ITchick
05-04-2012, 04:38 PM
This is my first post so excuse me if I am doing this wrong. I have insulin resistance and it's really important for me to be at the correct weight. I have to say all diets have worked for me, but what completely doesn't work for me is my will power. The guy I am seeing did the IP diet and lost over 40lb in maybe 3 months. He now weighs less than me and that is real motivation to get my butt in gear. I am hoping to do my own version like what you are saying, but if my will power breaks again for the umpteenth time I will just join IP. I was curious if this is what phase 1 diet would look like from what I'm gathering.

- 3 EAS carb control shakes
- 1 lean protein + 2 cups of phase 1 approved veggies
- lots of water.

am I right? I already take a multi vitamin I don't know how essential the others ones are, you tell me. Thank you gals for all of the info.

Andie0606
05-04-2012, 04:54 PM
This is my first post so excuse me if I am doing this wrong. I have insulin resistance and it's really important for me to be at the correct weight. I have to say all diets have worked for me, but what completely doesn't work for me is my will power. The guy I am seeing did the IP diet and lost over 40lb in maybe 3 months. He now weighs less than me and that is real motivation to get my butt in gear. I am hoping to do my own version like what you are saying, but if my will power breaks again for the umpteenth time I will just join IP. I was curious if this is what phase 1 diet would look like from what I'm gathering.

- 3 EAS carb control shakes
- 1 lean protein + 2 cups of phase 1 approved veggies
- lots of water.

am I right? I already take a multi vitamin I don't know how essential the others ones are, you tell me. Thank you gals for all of the info.

Not quite. Go to the stickies at the start of this forum and read the information there. There are PDFs of the IP protocol.

staceyjblack
05-04-2012, 09:05 PM
ps - nice to see another tall girl around here :)

AHEM- 5'11"!

staceyjblack
05-04-2012, 09:12 PM
I also have been drinking hot tea to feel full while satisfying my sweet tooth - I use herbal apple and add a cinnamon stick with liquid stevia - It tastes like hot cider. Good job and I can't wait to see your next stats!

That sounds AMAZING!!!! I am definitely making a cup for dessert tonight!

Samba
05-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Rosie-- this is an awesome start for you. Keep going and you will be so pleased with results. My 27 yo son got on board as I started to lose on IP. He got into the concepts of the plan and then embarked on alternatives.

He was well on his way to joining me with metabolic syndrome. Now he has lost nearly 40ls in three months. He wore one if his 2005 vintage t-shirts today and was so pleased. The ability to follow the plan, not feel deprived and experience great fat loss has kept him forging ahead!

What an advantage for you to learn at this age about healthy eating. I wish I had known because I spent some miserable decades!!

You go, girl!!!

Jonsgurl0531
05-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Way to go Rosie! I also did my own alternative version of IP and lost. When I use powder I mix it in my coffee in the morning (SO YUM!) I also mix my vanilla powder in with chai tea. Both taste great cold as well or blended with ice cubes.

photogirl74
05-20-2012, 11:13 AM
That's strange, I just read a post regarding "New Lifestyle Diet" but now it has vanished????

I was excited to see "chip" type products however the protein seems low and the carbs seem high but could be doable considering my premier protein shake has 30g of protein which would make up the difference. Unfortunately the same issues with delivering to Canada - taxes and duty :(

I'm looking for another site that is simple for Canadians to purchase from - have already ordered from Proteinwell but would like more of a variety

Have you tried Kay's Naturals? They have a decent variety of chips, pretzels, cereals and puffs. They are also Gluten Free which is why I've used them. I think in Canada you have to buy thru ThinEvolution.

ptownevt
05-20-2012, 01:28 PM
I'm so glad to have found this site and, especially, the threads about alternatives. I simply cannot afford the $300+ joining fees and then the food costs. I plan on starting on Wednesday, after fasting blood tests Tuesday. I've been on WW and have lost 25 lb. The problem is that I am IR and struggle with cravings much of the time. I simply cannot fight cravings for the rest of my life. I want the relief from the carb cravings and the almost constant feelings of hunger as much as I want to lose weight. My questions are, how bad are the first few days and when can I expect to lose the cravings and feelings of hunger, present even after I eat, no matter how much I eat?

Mindseyedzine
06-19-2013, 05:23 PM
I am just now exploring IP with my sister and I was wondering if you all just followed the IP plan and used alternate supplements such as the ones found on nashua nutrition. I want to start this in the next few weeks!!!