General chatter - What are you reading Jan 2012

View Full Version : What are you reading Jan 2012

Smiling_Sara
01-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Happy 2012 3FC!!!

Please share with us what you are reading this month? I am actually at a point where I am not in the middle of one, and don't know which one to start. Maybe you all have a recommendation??

CanadianCutie
01-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Well, I'm still reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, it's a Fantasy novel, and it had me from the first page, and I'm picky about the fantasy novels I read.

theox
01-01-2012, 11:04 PM
I doubt I'll be reading any books this month that aren't related to work, school, or health. (World's tiniest violin, right?) However, if I do start a new novel it will probably be something by Pat Conroy. Maybe The Prince of Tides. I read The Lords of Discipline last month and was blown away by his writing.

souvenirdarling
01-01-2012, 11:13 PM
CanadianCutie: Patrick Rothfuss is great. I've read Name of the Wind and A Wise Man's Fear and cannot wait for more.

I'm not sure where to start yet but I received a gift of many books. One in particular called 'Mind Training" about meditation will most likely be my next read! I always feel more introspective in the winter...

twish
01-01-2012, 11:24 PM
I've just started "The Innocent" by Taylor Stevens. It is a sequel to her first book, "The Informationist", which I really enjoyed.

ShyHeather
01-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Right now I am reading Clash of Kings (Game of Thrones series). I'm also reading The Reaping by Leighton. =) Both great reads.

Daki
01-01-2012, 11:27 PM
I'm reading A Game of Thrones from the Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin! I feel behind the times because EVERYONE I know has already read all of them but whatever! Thank goodness for my Nook though, it has me reading a lot more :D

gardenerjoy
01-02-2012, 01:04 AM
I'm reading American Nations by Colin Woodard, a fascinating piece of nonfiction that says that there are 11 "nations" on the North American continent that cross state and international boundaries. New England, for example, has very different aspirations and ideals than the Deep South and all of that springs from the different ways and people that founded each "nation." He says that accounts for a lot of the divisive throughout our history and into today. I'm learning all kinds of stuff about 17th and 18th century history, both global and American, that I never know and really explains some things.

I've heard lots of good things about Game of Thrones, but I've resisted so far. They are so big!

audri8301
01-02-2012, 01:12 AM
Right now I am working my way through The End of Overeating, which I've found really informative and helpful. I've also been reading [I]The Book Thief[I] to see whether it's anything I might be able to use with my advanced students. I've been meaning to read it for years, but avoided it because of the way the first couple of pages are written. Now that I'm getting further along it's written so beautifully and I can't wait to see how it progresses.

theCandEs
01-02-2012, 01:38 AM
I am on the last Hunger Games book, Mockingjay. I had to force myself to stop reading because I wasn't sleeping. I read Catching Fire in one day and night. I probably would do the same with Mockingjay if I let myself. It's getting late again, and I want to read a little of it, but I know I can't, because then I'll be up the rest of the night.

I started A Clash of Kings, but then I stopped when I got my Nook for Christmas and bought all of the Hunger Games books. Not sure what to do now. I read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes yesterday (it was short - about 250 pages, so it only took me an afternoon). The Nook is a dangerous thing for me to have. I also bought The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I'd like to read it before I see the movie.

FreeBird3
01-02-2012, 05:05 AM
One of my new year's resolutions is to make a sincere effort with dating in order to find 'the one' and get married. My friend just became engaged last week and she met her guy online. So I went to Amazon.com, read several ratings/comments from people and waiting for the following books to arrive in a couple of days to start reading:

Why Men Love *****es: From Doormat to Dreamgirl - A Woman's Guide to Holding Her Own in a Relationship

Why Men Marry *****es: A Woman's Guide to Winning Her Man's Heart

The Rules for Online Dating: Capturing the Heart of Mr. Right in Cyberspace

All the Rules: Time-tested Secrets for Capturing the Heart of Mr. Right

I keep on attracting jerks (even online!), so I know I'm doing something "wrong". I hope I find 'the one' this year. I went to a friend's party for NYE and I was the only person attending that was not part of a couple. I hope to change that by the next NYE.

gardenerjoy
01-02-2012, 11:51 AM
audri8301: The End of Overeating started me on this final weight loss journey. It flipped the switch in the brain for me. I've been thinking that I want to read The Book Thief as well, especially since I've been recommending it to older teens based on other people's recommendations.

Bellamack
01-02-2012, 12:23 PM
One of my new year's resolutions is to make a sincere effort with dating in order to find 'the one' and get married. My friend just became engaged last week and she met her guy online. So I went to Amazon.com, read several ratings/comments from people and waiting for the following books to arrive in a couple of days to start reading:

Why Men Love *****es: From Doormat to Dreamgirl - A Woman's Guide to Holding Her Own in a Relationship

Why Men Marry *****es: A Woman's Guide to Winning Her Man's Heart

The Rules for Online Dating: Capturing the Heart of Mr. Right in Cyberspace

All the Rules: Time-tested Secrets for Capturing the Heart of Mr. Right

I keep on attracting jerks (even online!), so I know I'm doing something "wrong". I hope I find 'the one' this year. I went to a friend's party for NYE and I was the only person attending that was not part of a couple. I hope to change that by the next NYE.

freebird,
relax & enjoy the "good" things that come from being single and remember that it is much better to be single than to be with a jerk. you will meet "mr right" when you least expect to.

I am reading the Janet Evonovich series I am on #8, what a hoot. Hubby got me a Nook tablet for Christmas. Must be he is sick of all the piles of books I have all over. lol. Happy 2012!

ANOther
01-02-2012, 02:47 PM
All done with my holiday reading *sigh*. Last night started Murder She Wrote: Skating on Thin Ice

chickadee32
01-03-2012, 03:36 AM
I read Every Last One by Anna Quindlen last night (the whole thing; I couldn't put it down!) and it was excellent. It's been sitting on my bookshelf for a while and I hadn't pick it up, mostly because it was hard cover and I really prefer reading paperbacks (not sure why!). It was so good though - I should have read it long ago. Now I need to check out my bookshelf and see what other hard cover books I've neglected, lol.

DesertTabby
01-03-2012, 04:54 AM
I just finished The Hunger Games trilogy, wanted to be sure I've read it all before the movie! I have to admit the second book was not my favorite but the third book did redeem it quite a bit.

Currently I am in the middle of reading The Help; its better than I expected but it can get a bit annoying at times (for example I am really not that interested in Skeeter's character.)

After that I'm going back to some Jim Thompson books; I loooove me some noir books and no one can write 'dopey idiot of a man who is secretly a sadistic psychopath' like Jim Thompson (he wrote The Killer Inside Me.)

lissvarna
01-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I really liked it, although I saw the movie last night and I actually liked it more than the book. I may start The Girl Who Played with Fire... but I don't know if I should start something new instead.

Also, i LOVED The Help. I assumed it was overhyped but I absolutely adored it. However, I didn't like the movie at all.

Riddy
01-03-2012, 04:10 PM
I started this in December, but just picked it up again yesterday - Green Suede Shoes by Larry Kirwan. He's the Irish born frontman for Black 47, and the book is his memoir. Although I'm not a big Black 47 fan (I don't care for Larry's singing voice), he is quite a writer. I got sucked right in. Each chapter starts with the lyrics to a song, then the chapter refers back to the song or the characters in it. I may have to buy a CD before I finish the book. :o Fascinating if you love music or Irish life/politics.

rachaelm
01-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Oh how I love my e-reader. I got BN gift cards from my sister & my dad, so I've been burning up the books.

Over the 12 day holiday:
The last two books in the Stieg Laarson trilogy. Eh, they were all right, I liked the first book best.
The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson. Good story, I was into the characters, but sad story
Mile 81 by Stephen King. Loved it, but short story
The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan. Pretty boring, flat characters
four Samantha Moon books by J.R. Rain. Very entertaining, easy read, and super cheap. I think it was $1.99 for all four.
Florida Roadkill by Tim Dorsey. Liked it! Will get more of his books.
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Very good story.
The Ninth Life of Louis Drax by Liz Jensen. Another, eh, it was all right.

I also have The Night Circus loaded, hopefully I'll get to read it this week.

treasureBelle
01-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Last week, I read (and finished) The Time of My Life by Cecelia Ahern. Nice kind of fluffy chick lit (though not too fluffy/stupid), quite enjoyed that one.

Now, I'm on to Pigeon English by Stephen Kelman. It's OK so far, though upon starting it today, I found that (to my mind, anyway), it's written for teenage boys. Still not bad, though.

I also got 2 nonfiction books for Christmas, both of which I'm planning to read soon.
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is about the life of an African-American woman, whose cells were taken without her knowledge; those cells have been the foundation for many scientific works, some winning the Nobel Prize. And yet, she never knew that (so far as I can tell, anyway). The scientific community mainly knows her only as "HeLa". I'm so glad I was given this book actually... it's the story of the life of the woman behind all that scientific research that has saved so many lives.

The other book is A Train In Winter by Caroline Moorehead. (Another non-fiction.) This is about a group of French women who resisted the **** occupation in France, and who were sent to Auschwitz. Many of them died, but some of them survived - and it was their friendship that helped them through.

teamcoco
01-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Wheat Belly
Psychopath Test
Happiness Project
Steve Jobs Biography

Riddy
01-03-2012, 11:25 PM
treasureBelle, A Train In Winter sounds interesting - I just added it to my Kindle wishlist.

chickadee32
01-04-2012, 02:24 AM
lissvarna - The Girl Who Played With Fire was my favorite book of the three. Definitely read it at some point!

treasureBelle - The story of Henrietta Lacks is fascinating, and the book brings up some very interesting issues related to ownership of biological samples and informed consent for genetic research. Really interesting stuff, and definitely a hot topic in the community that focuses on human scientific research. If you like the science side of the story at all, you might also be interested in reading a book called A Conspiracy of Cells. It's much older and not nearly as well written, but it tells a different and also interesting story about the HeLa cell line - how it grew like wildfire and contaminated samples in labs all over the world, and the way the scientific community reacted to internal questions and criticism regarding their results and work.

lvlisanthropist
01-04-2012, 08:05 PM
I am reading Simon Becketts "Whispers of the Dead". Great book so far! Just read his first two of the Dr. Hunter series in December and I am so loving his writing. Especially how you really do not expect the ending, both previous books it has been stunning how he twists the plot around and as youre reading youre like WHAT?? Hasnt happened like that in a while...

HMM3
01-05-2012, 02:03 AM
I'm reading Elizabeth George's "This Body of Death" .... not that I've read any of hers before ... just because it is here somehow.... but I'm enjoying it ...

FrouFrou
01-07-2012, 05:23 PM
The Gift of an Ordinary Day...Katrina Kenison, started it in December but was busy and just didn't get it finished. Next book will be Rescue by Anita Shreve

sheddinglbs81
01-07-2012, 06:39 PM
I just started reading The hunger games! It is so good, I can't put it down!!

kailpea
01-07-2012, 07:00 PM
I enjoyed the Hunger games quite a bit but I kept feel that the story had way more potential than Suzanne Collins allowed it to have. I don't know if that makes sense. But it was like, this story has the potential to be the new dystopian novel of our time. . . a mix of 1984, Brave New World and The Lottery all in one. . . and then it kept falling short of that power. (With that being said, I majored in Literature, so sometimes I am a little too critical of novels). I enjoyed them, but at the end wanted something more from it. I am looking forward to the movie, though. The previews look amazing!

Currently I'm reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. . . I'm not sure if I care for it or not. I'm about 100 pages in.

I need to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I downloaded it a few months ago and haven't got around to it yet. My ebook downloading is out of control.

Aclai4067
01-07-2012, 09:07 PM
George Orwell- 1984 and my new fav magazine http://mentalfloss.com/ Got a subscription for Christmas!

shepherdgirl
01-08-2012, 01:36 PM
But it was like, this story has the potential to be the new dystopian novel of our time. . . a mix of 1984, Brave New World and The Lottery all in one. . . and then it kept falling short of that power.

Totally agree, kailpea. It was an exciting story, but I found myself comparing it to the novels you mention and it just didn't measure up. Granted, Suzanne Collins has a lot to compete with. Lois Lowry's The Giver is one of my absolute favorite novels and it is distopian children's literature. Doesn't have much in common with the Hunger Games (other than being in the same genre), but it is must read for anyone that enjoys literature (it won a Newbury medal--Lois Lowry's second). Anyways, I'm looking forward to Hunger Games movie--maybe I won't be disappointed with it like I was the book.

shepherdgirl
01-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Well, after reading The Hunger Games, I decided that I should read a classic, so I'm reading Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens. I've heard the BBC miniseries is really good, so will be watching it once I've finished the book.

For those interested, I just started a blog on literature--I won't link to it in case I get in trouble. :) I'd like to increase my readership. It's mainly for book reviews and literature, but may be expanded as time goes on.
You can find it by googling "anovelgirl wordpress" if you are interested. I only have 1 review so far on there, but hope to write more as the year goes on (one of my non-health related New Years Resolutions!)

ANOther
01-08-2012, 02:06 PM
The Jefferson Key by Steve Berry

Glory87
01-08-2012, 03:04 PM
I enjoyed the Hunger games quite a bit but I kept feel that the story had way more potential than Suzanne Collins allowed it to have. I don't know if that makes sense. But it was like, this story has the potential to be the new dystopian novel of our time. . . a mix of 1984, Brave New World and The Lottery all in one. . . and then it kept falling short of that power.

I know what you mean, I kept thinking - they are making children (children!!) fight to the death and you don't really feel that horror. I thought King's (Bachman's) Long Walk did it much better. I couldn't even read the second/third books.

kailpea
01-08-2012, 03:16 PM
I know what you mean, I kept thinking - they are making children (children!!) fight to the death and you don't really feel that horror. I thought King's (Bachman's) Long Walk did it much better. I couldn't even read the second/third books.

Glory: You hit the nail on the head. That's what I have been trying to explain since I read the novels. There was a lack of horror. I wanted to feel horror, and I didn't get horror. I haven't read The Long Walk. But I wikipedia'd it and I might have to pick it up. I am a huge nerd for dystopian novels.

Glory87
01-08-2012, 03:23 PM
The Long Walk is excellent, it will stick with you.

chickadee32
01-08-2012, 09:06 PM
The Long Walk is excellent, it will stick with you.

Agree 100%.

Buutastic
01-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Yay for a thread about books :D

I'm reading Dr. A's Habits of Health and Robin Hobb's newest series, The Rain Wilds Chronicles (both are absolutely fantastic!)

Delphi
01-12-2012, 05:21 AM
Just finished the Vampire Journals and just downloaded the Hunger Games to my Kindle.

Buutastic
01-13-2012, 05:37 AM
Okay, so I bought The Long Walk. I almost didn't get to bed last night reading, haha. Thank you guys for the recommendation!

FrouFrou
01-14-2012, 07:50 PM
So...finally finished The Gift of an Ordinary Day by Katrina Kenison. Got sidetracked though and read Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris, lol. Finally on Rescue by Anita Shreve...should have it done by tomorrow evening, we'll see. Made a goal of 50 books this year (and last-didn't make it, 15 short) and I plan on reaching that goal since I didn't make it last year...life got in the way, lol.

CanadianCutie
01-15-2012, 12:07 AM
I lost the book I was reading, I will replace it when I can, but for now I have One for the Money, based on the recommendations here. Anything to help take my mind off things.

kailpea
01-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Made a goal of 50 books this year (and last-didn't make it, 15 short) and I plan on reaching that goal since I didn't make it last year...life got in the way, lol.

I always make those goals and fail, so I didn't make one this year. But now that you've said it, maybe I will. In anycase, I'm behind, I haven't finished anything yet.

Alicia87
01-18-2012, 10:43 AM
I like the idea of making a goal for books read! I think I will go for 50 too and see what happens lol. You can't ever read too much :)

Currently rereading The Help, really love this book. And also reading The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks. Got a nook tablet for Christmas and so am now reading books on there plus the huge stack of paper books that I already had bought/borrowed lol! I really need to get cracking on that pile :)

alinnell
01-18-2012, 02:31 PM
DS gave me a $30 gift "card" for Amazon for books for my Kindle Fire. I just finished Before I Go to Sleep (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GUSG4M/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title) which was kind of freaky about a woman who has no memory and she forgets everything while she's asleep. It was good, but not nearly as mysterious as it could have been

Now I'm reading 1Q84 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LROUW2/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title) which had gotten good reviews but I was a bit daunted by it's size (1000 pages). I'm only on the 3rd chapter but so far I like it a lot.

sheramama
01-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Triangles by Ellen Hopkins...her adult debut all written in verse. I loved her YA books and she did not disappoint with this one. The one character that really gets me is a housewife with 3 kids who drops 60 lbs and delves into the world of affairs bc of her craving for attention.

Dawn2Dusk
01-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Trying to get myself to start reading Life of Pi.

alinnell
01-21-2012, 12:25 AM

I loved that book!

Mikan
01-21-2012, 01:00 AM
"Lester Higata's 21st Century" By Barbara Hamby.

Alicia87
01-22-2012, 01:35 PM
I have Life of Pi in my too read pile!! Let me know how it is!!

Ciao
01-22-2012, 03:13 PM
i'm currently reading a book assigned by my english teacher: crime and punishment by fyodor dostoevsky (a russian novel from the late 1800s)

this book is... well, it's interesting. it's definitely not one that i would choose to read. it deals a lot with the main character's- raskolnikov- psychological state after he murders a pawn broker who cheated the peasant people of russia.

he goes into a state of despair from what he has done murdering the pawn broker and the author details all these gruesome dreams and thoughts of his.
then he reasons with himself that it was for the good of the community- that murdering the pawn broker saved hundreds of people from being cheated out of their money.

it doesn't detail that he has a split personality, but there's definitely a lot of mental conflict. and i think that's one of the things that turns me off about this book. i almost feel crazy myself after reading it. ;)

kailpea
01-22-2012, 08:41 PM

Life of Pi, just might be my alltime favorite read. It is an amazing, emotional, heartwarming read. Read it. =)

alinnell
01-22-2012, 10:50 PM
I have Life of Pi in my too read pile!! Let me know how it is!!

I loved this book, but a friend of mine tried to read it and hated it and didn't ever get into it.

bargoo
01-23-2012, 10:29 AM
i am reading "Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter" a thriller by Tom Franklin. My list to read includes "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand the author of "Seabisccuit".I had a gift card from Barnes Noble so have ordered "Descendants", I haven't seen the movie and probably won't.

Smiling_Sara
01-23-2012, 11:48 PM
I picked up at goodwill 'durable goods' by elizabeth berg. I think its young adult lit,
Its good so far, going quickly.

alinnell
01-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Following the rumors about a remake of the Princess Bride (thankfully only rumors), I downloaded that book. I loved the movie (who doesn't?) and I understand the book is even better. Gotta finish 1Q84 first, and then I have a new book that I preordered (can't remember the title) that I was just informed has been released and that's downloaded as well.

Alicia87
01-24-2012, 08:30 PM
I picked up at goodwill 'durable goods' by elizabeth berg. I think its young adult lit,
Its good so far, going quickly.

I've read almost every Elizabeth Berg there is! She is such a good writer!! Love her books and they are usually fairly quick reads :)

Nadya
01-25-2012, 10:39 PM
I have a short story class so I read whatever the professor assigns mostly. I'm too busy to read much else this quarter...

So far, we've read works by Turgenev, Chekhov, and Tolstoy. Next is Nabokov starting with The Doorbell, Music, The Return of Chorb, and A Nursery Tale.

kailpea
01-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Following the rumors about a remake of the Princess Bride (thankfully only rumors), I downloaded that book. I loved the movie (who doesn't?) and I understand the book is even better. Gotta finish 1Q84 first, and then I have a new book that I preordered (can't remember the title) that I was just informed has been released and that's downloaded as well.

What do you think of IQ84? I'm not very far in. The Princess Bride is amazing!

Anyway. . . I've stopped IQ84 for the time being and am reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Amazing! Can't believe I haven't read it sooner.

Alicia87
01-27-2012, 12:50 AM
I am now reading "I Beat the Odds" by Michael Oher, and a *guilty pleasure* "Too Hot to Hold" by Stephanie Tyler, it's a romantic suspense novel.

alinnell
01-27-2012, 09:57 AM
What do you think of IQ84? I'm not very far in. The Princess Bride is amazing!

Anyway. . . I've stopped IQ84 for the time being and am reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Amazing! Can't believe I haven't read it sooner.

I'm only about 150 pages into 1Q84 (hard to tell on the Kindle) but so far I really like it.

I've never read The Handmaid's Tale, but saw the movie. I tried to read one of Atwood's more recent books and couldn't get into it at all.

Looking forward to The Princess Bride.

Ruthxxx
01-27-2012, 10:16 AM
I was in school with Margaret Attwood many years ago. The Handmaid's Tale is her best book, IMHO. The later ones seemed to get a tad too weird for me.

My Book Club is currently reading The Girl With The Pearl Earring which I'm enjoying mightily. I love peeking into lives in the past, especially in Europe. This one is set in Delft at the time of Vermeer and told by the servant girl who modeled for the famous picture which is sometimes called "The Dutch Mona Lisa".

Glory87
01-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Love the Handmaid's Tale!

Just finished reading Night Strangers (http://www.amazon.com/Night-Strangers-Novel-Chris-Bohjalian/dp/0307394999/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327677354&sr=1-1). Awesome start, supremely ridiculous ending. I was almost angry at the end of the book! Thank goodness I checked it out of the library and didn't buy it.

rachaelm
01-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Love this thread, I get great ideas for new reads!!

Anyone read The Night Circus by Erin Morgensen? I did, and really enjoyed it.

FrouFrou
01-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Finished Rescue by Anita Shreve, read Kill Alex Cross...James Patterson and Blue Nights by Joan Didion and now am reading A Vist from The Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan.

Aunty Jam
01-31-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm reading "The Pillars of the Earth", I can't remember who wrote it but it's really good. It's set in the 1200's and told from several different points of view and that makes it really interesting.

mystyblue85
01-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Finishing the Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest (the 3rd book in the Dragon Tattoo series) and next up is The Hunger Games and Stephen King's The Long Walk
My Kindle (whom I affectionately call: NerdFlow2 because my first kindle NerdFlow died a horrible death) is going to be the reason I am up to ears in debt. I cannot stay off amazon buying books, its so DARN FUN!

sapphire9
01-31-2012, 07:25 PM
Someone gave me a Kindle for Christmas but I haven't set it up yet. Wish I'd known that before I bought the hardback of 1q84 which is sitting on my pile waiting to be read. I recently finished my first Wallander mystery, "firewall" which I loved. I'm reading a book by Henning Mankell called "Italian Shoes." I thought it was another Wallander book but it's a novel about a Swedish surgeon who lives an isolated life after he makes a terrible mistake. It's very good.
I've read the Stieg Larsen trilogy and seen all the films. I've always been fascinated with computer hackers. Don't know why, since I have mediocre computer skills.