Diabetes Support - *** January Chat ***

View Full Version : *** January Chat ***

Ruthxxx
01-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Good morning and Happy New Year! I'm not one for resolutions but do plan to end this year even healthier than I am right now which sure is better than January 9011.

I managed to avoid the bad stuff at the party last night although I did indulge in a tad too much wine. BGL is 4.3 this morning but weight is back to 182! :( That's possibly from the sushi which was absolutely delicious and worth it. Clean eating is the plan for today and no wine.

So ... how is your first day of 2012?

Riemontana
01-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Happy New Year!

I'm not much for resolutions, either. I would like to simply focus on being healthy, excercise, and eating well in the new year.

I hope everyone has a year filled with health and prosperity in 2012.

Rie

chipper15173
01-01-2012, 04:21 PM
good afternoon,
i am not doing resolutions either. i do have some goals, that i hope to make. mostly they are changes. these will be adjusted as/if the need arises.
today we went to the gym and had a nice excersie hour. stopped by the store, grabbed some fruit and veggies. came home, made yummy burgers and showered and put our jammies on for the day. what a nice relaxing day it has been.

hope you all have a great day

pattygirl63
01-01-2012, 06:20 PM
No resolutions here either. I too want to make changes as/when needed and plan to be healthier at the end of 2012 than I was at the end of 2011.

Ended up weighing a couple of lbs more today than yesterday, but still made my goal of starting the new year weighing less than I weighed at last docs visit. So I'm well pleased.

Happy New Year to all and I hope we will all have a healthier year this year.

fatmad
01-01-2012, 06:27 PM
So, My resolution is to continue what I have been doing, but to help myself do it better. Low carb, but sticking to plan better, to plan meals ahead. Exercise, more often and regularly. To get enough sleep.
I am doing this by changing how I work. The plans have been in the works for months, and now we are starting the new program. I am going to be on call this week, but doing very little clinic, just a few new mother and baby visits, and next week, I will just do clinic and not be on call at the same time. It is a big change from how I have worked for years, and I am excited about trying it.
THe plan is to exercise in the morning when on call, and in the evenings/afternoons when I am on clinic. The on call week, I might have to cancel/change my exercise times due to work, but I have the whole day to try.

I had a delivery New Years eve, and a good nights sleep. Beef stew in the slow cooker. Breakfasts made for the next couple of days. Planning lunches.
Ticker is correct for starting the year!

Butterfly50
01-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Happy New Year everyone I know I am late but I am all moved in now the fun part going threw and putting stuff away.. we unloaded everything in aunts garage now we have to organize everything. At least I dont have no worry about nothing right now I dont have to be in a rush. I am hopefully going to be getting back on food plan and workout plan this week.

Oh by the a nice present from the old house I got a allergy attack on the last load . It was pretty bad now It will take a few days for me to get rid of it.. At least I am not sneezing an deyes watering any more I am jest all stuffed up. Well I will be able to check in more often so more later....

Ruthxxx
01-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Good morning.

I guess I should reinstate my ticker but hate to do it when I'm up another pound to 183. It's time to start getting more fibre and liquids. I mean water, not the other liquids which have been plentiful this holiday! Today I purge the fridge of any leftover temptations. There must be five pounds of exotic (and rich) cheeses in there plus other tantalizing things. I see a lot of veggie soups in my future.

Here we go, girls, marching into the new year with determination!

Riemontana
01-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Good Morning!

fbs at 84 this morning after a sleepless night. My last day of rest before returning to work tomorrow. I am concerned because my partial plate is still very uncomfortable :( The dr said it may take a couple more days for the remaining swelling to recede.

I have been under 1000 calories and on plan with carbs for the last several days. I just don't feel like eating. The plan for today is to try to increase water and fiber.... :o

Fatmad, here's hoping that the regular schedule will allow you to take better care of yourself.

Ruth, I am with you.... let's get that last of the temptations gone. (I think my fridge is already cleaned out)

Trish, hoping dh is continuing to recover.

Hi Bonnie! It will be nice to have you back.

Be Back Later.

Rie

Lindyloo
01-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Back with you ladies:D

Most things have settled down around here with moving and renovations, so I will be getting back on plan.

I didn't gain anything over the holidays so that is a good thing and last A1C was 6.3 so everything is good. I just need to control the carbs a little bit more.

Have a great day everyone.:carrot:

pattygirl63
01-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Good Morning!
fbs at 84 this morning after a sleepless night. My last day of rest before returning to work tomorrow. I am concerned because my partial plate is still very uncomfortable :( The dr said it may take a couple more days for the remaining swelling to recede.

Trish, hoping dh is continuing to recover.

Rie - Hope the partial plate gets more comfortable as time goes on. I got DH Merck medical book out and read about IBS. I learned that all this stress in our home can very possibly have made a bad situation worse. DH and I had a long talk in the wee hours of the morning and I now know what is going on with him. He wants to sell our house and get a 2 bedroom condo or apartment so he doesn't have to deal with a yard and let them fin for themselves. He sees that they have no intentions of even trying to help by paying their share of things. Yet they can take the kids and go out to eat and shopping and I know they didn't pay their bills so they could buy Christmas. I'm thankful to know he isn't willing to go broke for them and it won't do any good for us to lose all we have. We need to sit down with all of them and talk to them and then maybe he will start getting better when he voices what he is thinking. You know it really isn't our responsibility to meet all their needs... it really is her husbands job to do that. I won't go into any more detail but suffice it to say that NONE of our rules are being taken into consideration by her, her husband or her children. Not only do they not help pay for the utilities etc that they use, but they are filthy and refuse to help keep things clean. I've never had a bug in my house and I have to work constantly going behind them to clean to keep from having them. I am ready for them to get out if they are not willing to change PERMANENTLY. I think Tony's health depends on it.

pattygirl63
01-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Ruthie - I'm beginning to think that fiber is very important to weight loss. I too plan to purge my fridge of somethings as well. I plan to do that tomorrow as the trash goes out for pick up Wednesday. I need to stock up on more health friendsly foods.

Bonnie and Lindyloo - Welcome back. Been missing y'all.

Fatmad So glad you are getting a better work plan and hopefully it will make things easier for you in other areas of your life especially your weight loss plan.

I almost decided to try the Dukan diet because I know a woman at beauty shop who does it, but I decided that I really don't want to do a fat free diet and put the book back on the shelf. I bought a roasted chicken to eat for the week end and realized that I just couldn't do an all day of nothing but protein. The thought of eating all that protein and nothing else makes me feel nauseous. So I couldn't do it any way. Besides the WW/Moderate LC seems to be working for me.

DH and I've been talking about the way we need to eat especially for his IBS. When we first married, we ate a lot of raw fruits and I would get veggies and cut them up and we ate them with low cal dressings for dip. So we are going to go back to eating that way again. I've kind of been doing that already on WW because the veggies are freebies. It will be helpful to both of us.

He has to go for another INR blood test at the hospital today and then I'll bring him home and I will go to the store. Have to go to Wal-mart to exchange a movie and then to another store for better fruit and veggies.

My WI shows that I actually only lost 11 lbs in December rather than 12 or 13, but a loss of any kind during the holidays is a plus as far as I'm concerned. We are all back OP and going in the right direction.:carrot:

Have a great Monday!!!

chipper15173
01-02-2012, 04:47 PM
afternoon,
so far a fairly good day here.
trish...i feel your pain. when our son lived with us (for the 4th time). he bought this old trailer and was getting it livable. but, seemed to not be moving fast enough for us on the work. he always ate out, and again ate with us. (yes he has has a huge weight problem). bought computer stuff he didn't need. we finally had to sit him down and say. look we love you and this is really hard on us. but, you had until (this date) to move out. if you can't than you will need to find some place to live. but, you can't stay here anymore. you can't use my car when yours dies anymore. you have to grow up. he started working on the trailer and we saw that so he had a two week extension. it was hard knowing he could have been living in his car. but, he made his choices. best of luck to you.
DH goes back to work tomorrow so i can get back into my groove again. stay warm. we are heading into some really cold temps for the south. i have my firewood ready.

fatmad
01-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Hi all: chipper and lindy loo, welcome back, hope to see more of you.
Had a quiet day, just a couple of visits which is nice after such a busy weekend. Stuck to plan today. My problem now is to get through the evenings without snacking. Moved around a bit, but didn't get outside much. Lots of snow today. It just keeps coming. I am happy because I will get the cross country skis out tomorrow and start on the flat trails and get into skiing shape.
Hives have been bad again.

Trish, I hope you and your DH can get through this trying time with tough love. I am feeling mildly this way about DD, who doesn't seem to realize that she has to contribute to school expenses. So we will have to draw some lines there too. In the long run, it will likely save us from going down the road you are on now. I strongly recommend some kind of meditation, tai chi or yoga class for stress reduction too, especially for DH with the IBS, but you as well. Guarantee it won't hurt, and should help some.

Ruthxxx
01-03-2012, 08:53 AM
How the heck can I go all through the holiday without eating Christmas baking and then succumb to two pieces of lousy Christmas cake last night? Grrr! I don't even like the stuff - it always makes me want to go and clean my teeth. I had "lost" the darn cakes but they showed up during my purge yesterday and I should have pitched them then!

"So forgive yourself and carry on" says Ruthless. Oatmeal with raisins will hit the spot this very cold morning - it's -28F out there. I had planned a walk for the mail this morning but will wimp out and get with it on a slightly more moderate day. The treadmill will have to do.

Family angst - been there and survived. Just stick to your guns because eventually the kids will be gone and there will be just you and your partner. :grouphug: This too shall pass.

Weight down a tad to 182.4 and BGL a good 4.3, normal person's FBGL.

Riemontana
01-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Hello Friends!

fbs up a little at 89 this morning. I didn't sleep well. My weight is holding. I was on plan yesterday, including a couple drinks last night at pool. Still under for calories and carbs for the day. My goal for today is to really up the water....

Ruth, tell Ruthless that you are on track now and exercise those pieces of cake away today.

Mad, isn't it funny how our adult children can easily get into a mindset that we will do everything? It always surprises me. Even in the smallest ways, it seems that we have to constantly set limits. I am in my 50's, I wonder if my parents still feel this way? :?:

Chipper, nice to have you back. It sounds like you handled your son in a way that works for you and him.

Lindyloo. Hello !!!! Good to see you.

Trish, I won't try to give you advice because you and dh have enough people pushing at you. I hope that you find your way through it. Your dh is in for a lot of trouble with the IBS if he doesn't get his stress level down and I wonder about the effect on you, as well. Remember, no one can take advantage of you without your permission:hug:

Well, I still have a very sore mouth but I am back at work today. I should be worried about food choices but I just don't have any appetite. I certainly can't eat my usual salads.... Later

Rie

Lindyloo
01-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Good Morning. Well, I already ruined the day. I had 2 pieces of sprouted grain toast with SF marmalade AND a bowl of cheerios.

No more carbs for me today, and I'll have to deal with a spike now :(

Have a great day.

pattygirl63
01-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Hello Friends!

Trish, I won't try to give you advice because you and dh have enough people pushing at you. I hope that you find your way through it. Your dh is in for a lot of trouble with the IBS if he doesn't get his stress level down and I wonder about the effect on you, as well. Remember, no one can take advantage of you without your permission:hug:

Well, I still have a very sore mouth but I am back at work today. I should be worried about food choices but I just don't have any appetite. I certainly can't eat my usual salads.... Later
Rie

We never got to talk to anyone because we aren't all together at one time. I agree that DH can't get control of his health until the stress level lets up so I made a decision to take control of this situation myself. I was upset when we were at the ER and the doctor came in to ask Tony why he was there. DD's DH stood behind the curtain doing a "sad story motions" like Tony was acting. We were at the hospital because DH blood work showed he was in trouble and the doctor sent him to the ER. This was serious. I lost all respect for him from that moment on. He is the one who should be taking care of his family, not Tony and me. So I made up my mind that I'm not allowing this stuff to go on in my house any longer. My DH doesn't have the strength to walk a room without losing his breath or having to sit down and rest before he can go any further so he can't deal with all this. So I did it. I took it upon myself to put my foot down with the children. I know they tell their Mother everything and I'm sure they did. I made it clear that obviously what they call clean and what is clean is very different. Made it clear that they may like living in filth, but I refuse to live like pigs. I already told the oldest GD that there will be no more late night baking since they refuse to clean up afterwards and leave crumbs all over the place because I am not going to have to clean up the mess they leave in my kitchen before I can go to bed. There are times I can't even get to bed until after midnight because no one wants to or will do it. I was very harsh, but as my own grandson says about me "I'm fair". I told them I didn't know if they were lazy, stupid or just didn't give a s*?t or just had no common sense but they needed to realize where they would be if their Grandad and I had not let them move in here. They would be living on the street. Told the oldest grandson that I know that his mother told him that her Daddy has money but he doesn't and our money is going fast and if we run out of money because they waste utilities etc, that we will have to sell our house and DH and I will have to move into an apartment or condo and they will find themselves on the street and it doesn't matter if they believe it or not because they will believe it and live it when it happens.

Thank you... I like what you said about no one can take advantage of me without my permission. I think that is what I realized this morning when I decided that I don't have to allow this to go on one moment longer and I wasn't going to. Last night DH told his DD that they need to take care of their cars because if they don't and they lose their car(s) or something happens to one of them that they will not be allowed to drive ours because that is all we have. We have noticed that while they say they have no money to help around here... they always have it to take the kids out to eat and I don't mean McDonalds either. I'm talking expensive places.

I told DH this morning that him and getting him well is my first priority.

Thanks Rie I appreciate the advice you have given me.

pattygirl63
01-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Ruthie - I have asked myself that question many a time. How in the world can I sit down and pig out on food(s) that I don't even like. Not sure what that is all about. If you ever find the answer, please let me know.

Rie - DH has a SIL who lost weight when she had all her teeth pulled and got dentures. I wondered if I would do that if I had mine all pulled, but when I had my teeth pulled and my bridges put in, it didn't work for me. In fact, it worked the opposite for me because I could now chew foods I couldn't chew before. Hope things get better for you soon.

Lindyloo - Your breakfast actually sounded good. I have also eat a whole grain waffle with sugar free jelly.

Fatmad - Actually like tai chi and would love to do it. One of my sons used to do it and spoke very highly of it. I never have trouble with my knees, but I did when I tried it before. However, I have wondered if maybe it would have made them stronger if I had kept doing it. Maybe I will try it again. I honestly believe meditation is very good for us because it give you a sense of peace. Hope things get better for you with your DD. It is so strange to me how they seem to believe we owe them something. I never felt that way with my parents and still don't. In fact, at this point, I feel it is my responsibility to be as helpful with my dad as I can be. In fact, I consider it a privilege and honor. Deceased hubby and I took care of his Mother and Tony and I took care of his Mother. I have to say that it was a privilege and honor to take care of them right up until they drew their last breath. Times sure are different than they were when we grew up.

chipper and Bonnie :wave: Are y'all enjoying our cold spell? It's already 27 degrees here and supposed to get down to 18 tonight. Sure will enjoy and aprreciate my warm bed tonight.

In the midst of all this, my eating has been right on. No problem staying OP.

I appreciate each and every one of y'all.

cbmare
01-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Hello all. I hope 2012 will be a better year for me but it isn't looking like it so far. I'm praying that I can garner the smarts to change some things without creating more distress in my life. I honestly need to run away or kick out a bunch of people in my life. Unfortunately, I'm related to those people.

I obviously don't know what I'm doing. I'm taking the Met 2 times a day and my morning reading is coming down. It is now in the 140s. I'm doing well with keeping my carbs within the 120 - 140 gms/day. However, it seems that the ones I let through are sending my numbers up. 2 hours after I eat my reading can be in the 200s.

I CANNOT get over the cost of those stupid strips! After insurance, I paid $75 for 100 strips. I can't afford to check my numbers more than 2 times a day and if I get an error, I won't check again. What a racket!

I'm supposed to have a class tomorrow but haven't received a call confirming. Hopefully it will come in after 7. We'll be taking the class together since he does most of the cooking.

Ruth, how do you get a BGL?

Lindy, do you have a meter that gives you the A1C?

I have a One Touch meter and VERY sore fingers. I had to increase the pressure to 6 because 5 doesn't do it for me.

Where do you dispose of your lancets? I'm collecting mine and think I'll take them to the grocery store around here that has one of those disposal things in the bathroom.

Ruthxxx
01-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Nothing to report - still 182 and BGL up a tiny bit to 5.0, probably from pasta last night. Did OK at the food fiesta yesterday - one glass of wine and three shrimp plus some celery.

Mare, I agree the strips are an atrocious price! That's a good idea for needle disposal although I use mine more than once for testing. My BGL is blood glucose level. Oh I just realized you wonder about my readings. In Canada we follow the international standard for measuring - a 4.3 reading is 77.4. Just multiply by 18. I don't know of any meter that gives you HA1C as it is a measurement from three weeks of 24 hour blood levels.

Off to the Big City (Ottawa) at noon today to spend 24 hours with my dear friend Shirleyanne. We've been friends since 1958 and still have lots to gab about despite weekly phone calls. I'll keep an eye on what I eat - she's a healthy cook but a food pusher!

Happy Hump Day, Chickies.

Riemontana
01-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Happy Hump Day!

fbs at 78 today. I slept well. Still not feeling strong enough to work out.

Ruth, a little shrimp, wine and celery are a victory and good for the soul. ;) Enjoy your visit with your friend.

Trish, good for you. I know that you will find your way through this. You are doing a good job of staying op with your eating. Do you think that dh would do some meditation with you? You might be able to download something from the internet as a guide. I used to do guided imagery with kids and often would use prerecorded tapes.

Mare, this whole process takes time. I know it is hard, but patience is your friend. Just continue to try to "spend" all your carbs on high nutrient/high fiber foods. Are you able to test on your arm? Or on the little pad between your index finger and thumb? Sometimes those hurt less.

Hi Lindy, I eat exactly the same thing every day for breakfast because then I don't have to think or make choices on the spot. It might be a good idea to add some protein to your breakfast.

Chipper, Bonnie, Fatmad, Good morning! Happy Hump Day :cool:

Rie

fatmad
01-04-2012, 11:40 AM
HI everyone: have been sticking to plan in spite of temptations, I succeeded in tossing out the tempting things in the fridge. A first, we took DD out for an after class meal, to a place called Zoup, and she had her soup and bun and I had, A DIET COKE. Did not eat, since I had had lunch 2 hours before. I can always find an excuse to eat, but I was honestly not hungry so didn't eat. Went to yoga afterward, and home for a decent supper. Its silly how proud of myself I am. :dizzy:
Rie: hope your mouth is healing up. DH has had several oral surgeries, and doesn't much like the soft stuff, so ends up losing some weight too.
Ruth, get that cake out of the house and eat well at ShirleyAnnes, a good friend I am sure understands healthy eating for you. The company will make it all taste excellent.
Lindy, I am not as good at meal planning as I would like to be, but maybe planning out some meals will help you bring that carb level to where you want it to be.
Mare: those spikes are telling you that those are carbs you may want to avoid, or only eat in small amounts. No matter what, grains really spike me. I can have the occasional half slice of sprouted grain bread with peanut butterm but otherwise, really cannot handle them. (the fat and protein in the pebu slows down the carb intake) You are paying too much, I pay $80 for 100 one touch strips with no insurance. I wonder if you order on line if its better, or switching meters. Lots of people use the relion from walmart. Its a lot cheaper. You might consider only testing a couple of times a day now. Make a chart, (or download an app) for tracking blood sugars, and test all over.
(like fasting and after supper one day, after lunch and before bed another day etc) so you are not so sore. Within a week, you can touch base on all your numbers a couple of times over.

Hugs to Trish: be a little starchy, its ok, and the kids will get over it and in the long run respect you more.
Hello to chipper and heres hoping that Bonnie is settling in ok.

Has been arctically cold here, but warming up today to just below freezing. Off to work. This week has been easy, no births, no all-nighters, but the planning is in place. Next week will be the office week, with regular hours. So far the new thing is working fine! always easier with so little work to do.
:hug: to everyone.

Riemontana
01-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Just wondering.....

What is going on with the ads on this site??? Pizza hut? Candy? Really?

cbmare
01-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Mare: those spikes are telling you that those are carbs you may want to avoid, or only eat in small amounts. No matter what, grains really spike me. I can have the occasional half slice of sprouted grain bread with peanut butterm but otherwise, really cannot handle them. (the fat and protein in the pebu slows down the carb intake) You are paying too much, I pay $80 for 100 one touch strips with no insurance. I wonder if you order on line if its better, or switching meters. Lots of people use the relion from walmart. Its a lot cheaper. You might consider only testing a couple of times a day now. Make a chart, (or download an app) for tracking blood sugars, and test all over.
(like fasting and after supper one day, after lunch and before bed another day etc) so you are not so sore. Within a week, you can touch base on all your numbers a couple of times over.

Thanks for the advice. I'm new at this. I've been testing for less than 2 weeks now. I'm still trying to find the right time of day. Since I am going to a nutrition class today, they asked that we bring our meters and test before and after we eat what they fix in class. That's fine with me.

I only test 2 times per day. Once before a meal and then again 2 hrs after. I'm writing down my numbers and what I ate. I'm putting all my food in fit day.

We'll see what is happening as I progress and take 1 or 2 more classes.

cbmare
01-04-2012, 02:20 PM
GM, all.

We'll see what today brings. I have a class today. They will be cooking for us. I'll be taking my meter with me. I'm hoping they will not want me to test more than once before and once after the food. I hate using more than 2 strips per day. At least I can use the lancet for a couple of days. I have discovered that I can't really go 3 days with it. It hurts too much after 4 uses.

We had lobster the other evening. There was such a lovely sale on live lobsters at the Asian market. I think I'll make a lobster omelet with the leftover. Good ole egg substitute works for me since I'll be spiking the cholesterol with the lobster. That is a lower carb option for me for brunch today.

How much are nuts, seeds and corn in your diets? I have diverticulosis and can't have those. I'm hoping that they won't use much if any of that today.

Ruth, I hope you enjoy your time with your friend.

Rie, I avoid looking at the ads. I find most of them annoying anyway. But you are right. You'd think they would screen them better. I found it odd that we are prohibited from discussing politics on here but there will be ads for certain propositions flashing by at time. If they are going to allow ads for pro or con on an issue, then let us discuss it. But, that's just me.

Trish, my heart goes out to you. You are in a hard spot. You said he has trouble walking from one room to another. Does he have a heart problem? After using Icy Hot Patches, I developed the same problem. I now have Atrial Fib, a permanent heart condition. I hope he doesn't have that.

Well, off to see what today brings.

cbmare
01-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Well, so much for the omelet. By the time lunch got here, I was craving lobster all right but decided to make a lobster louie. I made my Thousand Island dressing, lettuce, green onion, hard boiled egg and 4 oz lobster.

I'll be going to my class at 3PM with under 25 carbs. If I deduct the fiber, I have 20 carbs. I hope that will be low enough for them. That leaves room for over 100 more. I've been averaging less than 100/day, so I hope I'm doing all right.

pattygirl63
01-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Took DH to see our Primary Doc today. I had looked up side effects of 2 of his meds and we showed him the print outs. One was his glimepride and the other was his sertraline hydrochloride. He has almost all the side effect symptoms on the setraline. The doc had left it up to DH in the beginning as to whether he stays on it. So he told Tony he could come off of it and also that the medicine we take to lower our cholesterol could cause those symptoms as well. So he told him to stop taking that as well. He also said that the pain medicine that he takes could be causing the stomach problems so he will begin taking him off that as well once we get through this part. He put him back on the coumadin and assured us that we had no other choice but to do the filter since the coumadin had not helped keep the clots down on its own.

Mare - :welcome3: This is scary, but you are in a good place to ask questions. Everyone was so patient with me and all my questions and Fatmad is our nurse with loads of info. So be sure to ask as you find your way around this disease. Get all the info you can and then as I read somewhere... take control of it yourself and be sure to work with your doctor/dietician. My doctor told me that any diet would work; it is just a matter of finding "the one" that works for you. I trust my doctor immensely and he is so good to explain to me what we are doing and why. It has been good to have Fatmad to help me know why we do somethings too. Like when I wanted to come off of Met and she helped me to understand that it is suppose to help keep the diabetes from getting worse. My DH has experienced atrial fib but it never shows up on a monitor. I read that this is probably caused by the sertraline. Actually he did have heart trouble for years, but it hasn't shown up on the tests lately. It wasn't supposed to ever get better, but obviously it has. When we found out about his heart problems, his daughter found an article by a cardiologist telling how he treated his patients who had heart attacks. We even went to see him in Miami. He said the vitamin regimen he used wouldn't help Tony but they wouldn't hurt him either and he refused to treat him. I put him on the regimen of vitamins etc instead of having the surgery myself. Crazy thing is a cardiologist told us when we moved here that he knew DH had the problem because he could see it in his records, but they haven't seen it in any of the tests that they ran. They know he has these other problems but find no answer for them so hopefully, the meds are the culprit and by removing the meds he will get over this as well.

Mare - I use relion strips from Wal-mart because I wanted to test more often without having to turn all my readings in to Medicare. For the first year, I got one box of strips with my Medicare insurance D, but I also bought extra on my own. I have a step-sister whose DH tested everything he ate when he first learned he was diabetic to see how his body reacted to certain foods. I wanted to do the same. That is when I learned that oatmeal caused my FBS to go way over 200 mg/dl, but I could eat steal cut oats. One day I decided to try half a serving of regular oats and I seem to handle it pretty good. My DH still uses his One Touch they gave him at the docs office and I have one as well, but the strips are just too high for me to be able to test whenever I feel I need to.

Ruthie, Rie, Bonnie and everyone else :wave:

And thanks everyone for putting up with my ranting lately. I really appreciate you gals... y'all are the BEST!!!

pattygirl63
01-04-2012, 06:34 PM
HI everyone: have been sticking to plan in spite of temptations, I succeeded in tossing out the tempting things in the fridge. A first, we took DD out for an after class meal, to a place called Zoup, and she had her soup and bun and I had, A DIET COKE. Did not eat, since I had had lunch 2 hours before. I can always find an excuse to eat, but I was honestly not hungry so didn't eat. Went to yoga afterward, and home for a decent supper. Its silly how proud of myself I am. :dizzy:

Has been arctically cold here, but warming up today to just below freezing. Off to work. This week has been easy, no births, no all-nighters, but the planning is in place. Next week will be the office week, with regular hours. So far the new thing is working fine! always easier with so little work to do.
:hug: to everyone.

I don't think you are being silly being proud of yourself. You had a great accomplishment to build on. I feel the same way for doing so well during the holidays. I think we need those moments. Example, we got home from doctor's office and I was changing close. I got on the scales and saw a new low # and I shouted with excitement and shocked DH... and he asked "what was that are you okay?" Might seem silly to him or someone else, but they don't realize how hard we work to build those exciting moments.

So glad your new work schedule is working so well for you. I think that is going to help you get control of this part of your life as well.

Riemontana
01-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Just a quick note:

I have a freestyle lite meter. When I got it I went online and "registered" it so I could get a cord to download test results on my computer. I had to register with Abbot.com. I agreed to be in their care club, at no cost or obligation. They sent me a card that I present with my insurance when I buy strips. I like to test ALOT and my prescription allows 150 strips per month. My insurance cost was $45/100 strips. With the abbot membership, it costs me $15 for 150 strips. I get them at Sams club.

fatmad
01-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Rie: thats a great way to save money. Trish, glad DH is getting attention from his doc and maybe you will find some help for his problems. Thanks for the support. I had a good night last evening resisting when my DH got out the corn chips and salsa. Stuck to plan instead. Kept my goals in mind, reminding myself that I won't have successful weight loss if I just keep eating the junk.
Also, went for the first cross-country ski of the year. FOr the longest time, this was the only exercise I really enjoyed. Now I do yoga regularly too.
Its supposed to get warm this weekend, so may be my only ski for a little while, will get the nordictrack out to start dry land training.
have a good Thursday ladies

Lindyloo
01-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Good Morning.

I couldn't sleep this morning so I got up with DH before he went to work.

Mare no, I don't have a meter for the A1CI (but I think they are available now). Your doctor should send you for that blood test every three months.

I have a Breeze2 meter that I can download all the info to my computer. I don't test as much as I used to, but our health care plan pays for the strips except for the co-pay of about $10.00.

Have a great day.

Riemontana
01-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Hello Friends

I woke early this morning and couldn't sleep. Normally, it would be great because I would use that time to exercise but I am still conserving strength. fbs at 84 this morning.

Mad, you are doing great! Two recent episodes of self control is wonderful. It sounds like you have started the year with new determination. You are going to look wonderful at the wedding :D I have never cross country ski'd. We get so little snow that I would have to drive a couple hours to get to a place to ski.

Chipper, like you, up early today. I got more than 7 hours of sleep, though , so I guess it's ok. I sure miss the days of my youth when I could always go back to sleep in the morning.:(

Trish, congrats on the new low! :carrot: Yay! You are doing so well. Glad that the doctors are getting to the bottom of dh's medical problems.

Mare, how did your class go? Hang in there with us. It does get better.

Good Morning Ruth! I hope you enjoy your visit with your friend.

Off to meet the day. Later.

Rie

chipper15173
01-05-2012, 12:16 PM
good almost afternoon.
i posted yesterday and it didn't go though. so will try again today.
been cold here for the south. i have the grands all this week after school. it's to bad their 11 & 8. i walk up to the school to get them. it's maybe a mile. gets in some steps.
i got a part time job today. i will be answering phones at the gym's trainers place for a biggest loser promotion they are coming out with. it will just be for the week. i will get paid $100 a day. work 10 hours a day. but, for a week and 500 bucks i can do it. i have to try to get people to come in and listen to their promotion in person. he said i will have a script to read and i will be marti for the week. he sent these out last aug. they are preprinted. i will get me a new pair running shoes with the money. good ones.
well, gotta get some stuff done around here.

Butterfly50
01-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Hey Ladies alot has been going on here since I have been away well for me I am trying to get back on plan but I have a aunt now who likes to snack and since I have been 100% on plan here in the last month Its kinda hard plus I have been so sick.
Had to Change doc since I have moved couldn't travel 25 minutes to a doc every time I needed to go. Believe me I needed to go . They said that because of the mold that was in the house we moved out of and all the dust I have a bad sinn us infection I can tell cause it felt like someone punched me in myn face and I was inn alot of pain. On antibotics now and feeling better now to get in gear.

Well I hope that all is going well with all of you and I will check back with all of you soon...

pattygirl63
01-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Just a quick flyby. Been a fairly busy day. I decided that I can combine the lowcarb Dukan Diet with WW pts+ afterall. It is a pretty strict lc for 7 to 10 days, but then goes to another phase of alternating protein one day and veggies one day until you reach goal or that is how I understand it so far. Will learn more about second phase while doing the 10 day protein days. I saw some pictures of a couple of ladies doing it on a low carb site and they look great. Also one of the beauticians where I go get my hair done has lost a lot of weight doing it and she looks fantastic. I am so impressed that I bought the book today and purchased some of the things to get started tomorrow. It will help me get my health under control.

Saw another low number on the scale today. Will wait a few days to see if it stays before putting it on the ticker.

Till tomorrow.

descartesmum
01-06-2012, 07:26 AM
My last A1c was in the 8s so on Monday I'm going on the Metabolism Miracle Diet. It looks very diabetic vegetarian doable so I'm going to give it a go. I'm on metformin 850 3 times a day and I also have Byetta injections, the highest dose twice a day.

Ruthxxx
01-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Descartesmum, :wel3fc: and to our wee section. We're glad you found us.

Survived the Big City visit although a fair amount of wine and wonderful Tuscan Walnut bread crossed these lips. The scale showed me 181 this morning and BGL was 3.8 so no major damage was done.

I was out side before six this morning to shovel off my car so I could move it to let Richard plough. It was quite exhilarating and beautiful out there in the dark. I'm actually looking forward to shoveling off the dog decks later today!

Happy Friday to us all.

Riemontana
01-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Hello Friends!

fbs at 81 this morning. This despite the fact that I haven't had my januvia for two days:?: I made a mistake and ran out and the current system of faxing back and forth between doctors and pharmacy is slow. I am hoping to get it today. From now on I will put the expiration date on my calendar.

I am happy to report that I have whooshed down to a new low. :D My ticker has been high for over a week but I finally decided to believe lower numbers on the scale. A few days of very low calories has taken a couple pounds of fast. It makes me wonder if some calorie cycling might continue to lead me out of my plateau.

Descartesmum, welcome to our little group. Jump right in and join us in our daily journey. :)

Ruth, glad that you were able to enjoy a little without a scale or bs consequence. I am enjoying the incredibly warm (50's) weather here in Montana but I still long for a deep, wet snowstorm. Of course, I would probably complain if that happened.;)

Bonnie, so nice to see you back and I am sorry that you aren't feeling well. I look forward to talking with you again. Did you get to bring your wii with you?

Trish, the dukan diet sounds effective. I really think that the solution is to find one that works for you, that you can live with. I totally get how you feel about waiting to put those low numbers on the ticker. It sure beats getting on the scale the next day and seeing that it has gone up :p.

Chipper, I love it, a job that gives you a nice chunk of change and new running shoes? That is a great deal. Have fun walking with the grands..

Mad, hope that everything is going well.....

Lindy, did you have a good day yesterday?

I will check back later.

Rie

fatmad
01-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Hey gang, just a quick check in. Ticker same, but not higher. Busy with work for a couple of days, (finally) and hoping to go out to eat tonight, just for a change. Glad to read of everyone's adventures, BOnnie, hope you feel better soon.

pattygirl63
01-06-2012, 05:46 PM
aBonnie Sure hope the antibiotics kick in and you are feeling much better quickly.

descartesmum :welcome3: Glad you found us. Look forward to getting to know you. Good luck on your MM journey.

Ruthie Good for you surviving your Big City visit. You never cease to amaze me with all your activity. :) You go girl!!

Rie I like doing very low carb, but got to where I just couldn't do protein 24/7 for a long period of time. The 1st phase is pure protein for 2 - 7 days but average is usually 5. I think I can handle that. In the second phase I can choose to eat 1 day of pure protein followed by 1 day of vegetables + proteins alternating that woe until I reach my goal weight. Then the last 2 phases teach you how to learn to maintain that weight. It will be a while until I get to those 2 so not sure how it works yet.

Well, I had to call the insurance company I have my Part D with and found out that because DH turned 65 last month that he is still in his 3 month window to get on a Part D plan. So he now is covered. I am so thankful. He will hit a a gap after 7 months, but it will really help us especially if he ever gets into a situation like he did last month. Because he didn't have Part D insurance, they said they couldn't/wouldn't even try to help us with paying for the Lovenox injections we had to purchase. If he needs it again during the 1st 7 months of his coverage, we pay nothing for the generic. Sure gives me peace of mind. He is still sluggish, but DD found out in class today that magnesium may be his problem too. He started taking it years ago for his heart, but recently he had started eating loads of almonds so I guess we were over doing it. I told her that I had used these things to improve his heart and it had worked, but in the process we had produced another problem. So now we have to learn how to balance things. I'm only giving him the vitamins the doc has told him to take. I have often felt that if he would eat right that he wouldn't have to take a lot of things. Example, I eat more than 2 fish meals a week so I don't really need fish oil. He won't eat fish unless it is fried so the doc put him on 2 fish oil gels a day. I think he is going to have to learn how to eat healthy.

I'm enjoying my new way of eating. The book says don't count or measure anything, but I still count WW points and I measure some foods. I think I have to do this the way it works for me so I can succeed. Guess I'm just ready to do it. For one thing I've come to the place again where my health is more important to me than anything else. A good place to be when needing to diet.

chipper, lindyloo, fatmad and others :wave: Hope everything is going good for y'all today.

Have great Friday evening!!!

Riemontana
01-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Happy Saturday

I am up too early today. Little dgs woke me at 530. Ds was up here immediately to redirect him but I was not able to go back to sleep. So, I am enjoying the quiet of the morning.

fbs at 80 today. It was 75 at bedtime. One of my friends/employees has been hospitalized with pancreatitis He is in terrible pain. They are saying that he will need insulin for a while, at least. He was unaware that he had diabetes. His wife told me yesterday that the doctors told her that he has been diabetic for a while. I hope he does well.

Nothing much to report today. Football playoffs, a party this evening.. maybe a glass of wine ;) Have a good day.

Rie

Ruthxxx
01-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Quickie post this morning after a restless night with just 4 hours of sleep. Darned dogs banged the door open and joined me in bed so ...

Did OK at dinner last night - I thought! I had salad and a tourtiere I bought from a Church sale. I assumed it was all meat and carefully ate just the filling with my salad. Discovered this morning when I was getting the leftovers ready for the dogs that it had potatoes, carrots and peas in the filling as well. It's a good thing I didn't weigh or check blood this morning! The other one that I have in the freezer will be "gifted" to someone who needs a ready to bake dinner.

So ... clean eating is on the menu today - bean soup at noon and a chicken breast, green beans and salad for dinner. The Festive Food Frenzy is now officially over!

Lindyloo
01-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Just a quick post as I am up early again today and have a busy day.

DH left around 4:30 this morning to go pick up my brothers furniture from the group home. He can't go back there after he gets out of the hospital as he will need more care than what the care workers can give him there. Busy trying to find room here for it.

Out for dinner tonight to our favorite Italian restaurant. I probably won't be good either.

Decartesmum Welcome. I remember you from another board.

Have a great day.

fatmad
01-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Hi everyone: didn't wind up going out last night, as we were invited to a dinner party tonight. Turkey dinner, and salads and veggies, so I should be able to eat properly as long as I can have the willpower to avoid the stuff I shouldn't eat. So send a little mental willpower my way this evening. I made soup and we stayed home and had a fire and got a pay-per-view movie (The Help, which we both enjoyed).
Just a few visits today. As of 11 pm tomorrow, will be switching to the "off-call" week schedule, where I will work 4 days during the day, but quite busy days, and no on call time. Then a 3 day weekend off. the last week of on call work was a bit quiet for my taste, but didn't have any all nighters, (spoiled) but my body is pretty happy with sleeping every night and regular meals. Planning to go to yoga at 5:15 every evening after work during the week. Excited to be able to plan that!
Have a lovely weekend ladies.

pattygirl63
01-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Good afternoon everyone.

I guess this was a day for getting up early. 1 day when I could have slept a little longer and I was awake by 6 am. I've had a really good day though. I went to the beauty shop this morning and talked to the beautician who is doing Dukan Diet. I told her that I really didn't like eating FF or no fat foods, but she said that we do get some fat in our meats. She also told me that she did 5 days of the kick start phase which the book says is the usual. I think the health benefits are what matters. And the one big thing is that after just 1 day OP, my FBS has come back down to 129 today from the 150s, so I will definitely continue doing it for at least the 5 days and just might make it for the 7 days. I saw the low # again on the scale today, but just not ready to put it on the ticker until it is more stead and not bouncing around. Sure hope it is here to stay. The book also talks about having a plan of what to do when you are losing weight and get to that stage of wanting to give up and stop for some reason such as a stall or something. He suggests going back to phase 1 or even you may be ready to change to something else. So I've got my backup plan. "If" I get to that stage, I'm thinking this is so similar to South Beach that I could switch to it if I need to some where down the line. However, I hope I don't have that problem. He says some people do and some don't. Going to try to stay in a positive mood concerning all this and not look for any problems and maybe I won't have any.

Rie So sorry about your friend. Hope he is able to get help and get better.

Ruthie I hate it when I eat something I think is OP or safe and find out it wasn't. Hope the results aren't bad.

Lindyloo Good luck at the Italian resturant. I would not be able to stay OP if I had to eat at one. Hope your brother get better soon.

Y'all have a great day.

kris2008
01-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Probably a stupid question. Just diagnosed with Type II but given 3 months to get sugar down myself. My doctor seems more concerned with losing weight than what I eat. It seems to me that lower (and better) carbs, more water and exercise should be the ticket without losing weight. (Though I hope to lose weight also.) What do you guys think from your experience?

pattygirl63
01-08-2012, 01:03 AM
PC maybe down for a few days. Be back as soon as possible.

Riemontana
01-08-2012, 02:53 AM
Hello Kris!

Welcome to our little group!

I will try to respond to your question but remember that my advice comes from a fellow traveler on this journey - not medical advice.

I was diagnosed 15 months ago. My A1c was 13.6 :( I was encouraged to begin a fairly low carb diet with portion control. I started eating about 75 carbs per day and making healthy low fat choices. I lost about 6 pounds per month for a long stretch.

Exercise is so important to stabilizing blood sugar, in my opinion. My 3 month A1c dropped to 6.5 at the 3 month mark. For the last nine months, it has been in the 5's. My fasting rates are rarely above 85.

With testing, and some experimentation, you will learn what foods cause your bs to raise and those that don't.

Good luck, hang in there! Glad to have you as a part of this group!

Rie

Ruthxxx
01-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Fly-by again. I should not have to fret about sleeping late on a Sunday.

Kris, welcome to our corner of the Forum. Yes, cutting the carbs and drinking water plus exercise will not only help you lose more weight but will lower your BGL. Rie is right. It also worked for me.

181.2 this morning so I am getting close to re-establishing my ticker. BGL was 5.3, probably from a slightly carby supper, not the one I'd planned. :nono: I start back at the gym tomorrow morning which always pulls me back on track foodwise.

Enjoy your "day of rest".

fatmad
01-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Hi Kris: welcome to the journey! Your doctor is right, in that losing weight by any means (even high carb, low fat diets) reduces your insulin resistance and therefore your blood sugars. Doing the weight loss with lower carbs and exercise will also help you control your blood sugar and therefore prevent further damage from diabetes. Whichever you do, will only work if you can stick to it, so steadiness is the key. When you do go off plan a bit, (and we all do from time to time) do not beat yourself up, but just get back to normal again and keep plugging away at it.
If you don't have an appointment for diabetic education and sugar testing yet, ask for it. We can also recommend some good reading, from "diabetes for dummies" to the on-line page "bloodsugar101" . You can usually get a free blood sugar metre for the cost of 100 test strips, or you can request a free one from the manufacturer. Check out the prices of the strips, they have a big range in prices and if you are not covered by insurance, its a big cost. As far as we know, there is no disadvantage to having the cheaper strips (walmart relion for instance), as there don't seem to be published studies about the accuracy of one brand over another. By law they have to be accurate to within a certain percentage only.

For my part, the dinner party last night was lovely, but I should have taken a dessert, I succumbed to having a couple of chocolates at the end of the evening, and a few crackers with the cheeses, so a little higher carb than usual. I used a cat allergy as an excuse to leave at 930 pm, so I would stop eating. Well, any way we deal with temptation is ok, right?
I did get out for a trail walk with the dog yesterday too.

Today I am going to see baby Lilia, can you believe she will be 1 year old in 2 weeks? She is just back from her Christmas in Holland, so I can't wait to see her. If this is how I am with my daughters' friends kids, imagine what a doting grandma I will be! Ok, yes, I will be over the top. :D

Have a lovely Sunday friends.

chipper15173
01-08-2012, 10:36 AM
happy sunday....
doing ok, just ok. i just got back from the gym with DH. had a nice workout. got in a little running, some walking and weights. feeling pretty good.
i got a part time job. it starts tomorrow. it will be for 9 am to 7 pm. i will answer phones for the trainers at the gym. they are having a biggest loser promotion. so for the week i will be sitting and making appointments. and the pay is $100 a day. i can sit on my behind for that money, and just the week.
need to get a chicken in the oven for some meals for the week and plan the others. crock pot here i come. at least maybe on my breaks i can get on a treadmill or something for a few minutes. LOL. that's a perk.
later

Riemontana
01-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Hello Friends!

fbs at 81 this morning and my weight is dropping a fraction every day so I feel comfortable with my ticker. My eating has been really good, although I indulged in a glass of wine last night. I still came in way under calorie and carb goals.

Sometimes I notice that people here mention wine as raising bs? Am I getting that right? For me, a glass or two of wine puts me at risk of a low. For example, last night, at bedtime, I was at 68, despite having a small piece of chocolate cake a party. Anyone else have this experience? I have tested within an hour of drinking wine and my bs is dropping? Weird.

Mad, enjoy the visit with the little one. Yes, it will even be better with your own grand kids. However, I still tend to be grandma to everyone.

Ruth, it is good that you slept in a little. It is Sunday.

Chipper, enjoy the day and your new job this week. It sounds like fun.

Trish, hope your internet gets repaired soon. I know that we will miss you.

Kris, good morning! How are you feeling and are you getting some information on a plan?

Bonnie, I hope you are out there somewhere doing well.

Rie

kris2008
01-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Rie: I feel fine. I have been doing lower carb with a caloric limit, more water and exercise for several weeks now. I don't test anything so don't know numbers. I go back for blood work in 2.5 months. My BFS has been slowly creeping up over the last few years with "pre-D" numbers, but my A1c was always okay. With a BFS reading of 129 2 weeks ago, I needed to take control.

Before, I ate mostly healthy foods during the day but craved carbs late afternoons and evenings, and ate mega-sugar junk every night. I'm off the junk carbs and do not have the cravings any more! Love it! As long as I stay away from the trigger carbs, I seem to be okay with the quantity of food.

Thanks for everyone's help and education!

pattygirl63
01-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Kris :welcome2: The others have given you some really good advice just as they did me when I came to this thread after I learned I was diabetic. My step-sisters DH was diagnosed diabetic T2 several years ago. He tested himself after everything that he ate and learned what raised his blood sugar, how much and what didn't raise it. He has kept his bs under control ever since without fail. So I did the same thing, but I had a problem finding a plan that I could live with that fits my lifestyle and my personality. So I took a long journey to search for it. And it is beginning to really work for me. My doctor told me that "any" diet would work; I just had to find the one that I could live with. I do lowcarb/lowfat combed with WW Plus Pts. I also use the Intuitive Eating rules with it. I only eat when I'm really hungry and I eat only what I want savoring every bite and I stop when I'm satisfied. I don't allow myself to overeat.

As far the strips, I use Walmart's Relion strip because they are cheaper and I get the same reading as I get with the One Touch meter the doctor's office gave me. I tested with both to be sure. Also Medicare will help pay for only one prescription for me to test once a day because my bs reading wasn't high enough to test more often. I think there may be others out there but I'm not sure.

I read somewhere that those who take control of their own diabetic journey are the one who succeed. My doctor told me he could tell who works at it and who doesn't. So remember this journey is something you do for YOU.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here or of with doctor and of course of those he may send you to in order to educate and help you. Also remember that what works for you may not work for someone else and vice versa. For example... My daughter can eat high carbs and follows the regular diabetic diet without raising her BS. I can't and never could because it raises my FBS reading. Most people can eat a regular serving of oatmeal. I cannot, but I can eat half a serving with no problem.

Good luck and remember we are here for you!!!

pattygirl63
01-08-2012, 04:35 PM
A quick flyby as I heard the baby calling "Nannie" which means his nap is over.

Just want to say that I am very excited about this way I've learned to do low carb/low carb WW/IE thing I'm doing. It really works for me. Today was my WI day and I've changed the ticker to show that I have lost a total of 15 lbs now. I hope to be in the 2teens next Sunday.

Catch y'all later.

Ruthxxx
01-09-2012, 07:03 AM
Good morning. Today I'm back to reality - returning to the gym and re-instating my ticker. BGL tested a tad high this morning. I wonder if munching my way through a packet of candied ginger hand something to do with it. :nono: A friend and I indulged in a bottle of the leftover bubbly which may have had something to do with it!

Keepin' on keepin' on!

Riemontana
01-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Hello Friends,

fbs at 85 this morning. I lifted weights for the first time in a long time. It is not my favorite exercise routine but I believe that it is good for me. My weight is still ticking down slowly day by day, ounce by ounce. I am eating my mega fiber breakfast as I type this.

Ruth, I hope that you enjoyed the bottle of the bubbly. :D I guess that wine raises your bs? I think I posted a couple days ago that I am convinced that it lowers mine. Weird.

Well, here's to starting a healthy week and enjoying the process of taking care of us. For me, when I try to see it as a pleasant task and have a better attitude, it is easier. Be Back Later.

Rie

Ruthxxx
01-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Nope, wine does lower my BS too, Rie. I think it was the carby dinner followed by the candied ginger. I usually run around 4.3 (77.4) in the a.m. which is supposed to be a non-diabetic FBGL.

pattygirl63
01-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Ruthie & Rie I'm not sure wine does anything to my FBS. I've drank it hoping it would lower it, but didn't help significantly.

Ruthie You are so cute. I've never had candied ginger and don't want to as I absolutely love ginger cookies so I'm sure candied ginger would not be safe around me. LOL

Rie I told DH today that I'm going to work out my own exercise routine. I don't really have room to do any of my dvd exercises that I like. But I've done enough exercises over the years to make up my own routine in the little space I have in my bedroom. I can do the stationary bike for a few minutes but not for a long time. I've decided that any exercise is better than none. This is why I go out by myself sometime and just walk around in stores window shopping. My Daddy used to do that, but walked at a much faster pace than I do.

I was so proud of my DH today. I had to go pick up our prescriptions and asked him if he wanted to go. I figured he would just let me go in and put the prescription in and then go back and drop me off to pick it up. He dropped me off so I could turn in the script and then drove to Steak 'n Shake to eat lunch. When we went back to get the meds, I was surprised that he parked the car and wanted to go inside. He would walk around a bit and then sit down, but he even did some shopping. He felt he should do what he could and I know he was pushing himself so I was so very proud of him.

I was off plan a bit at lunch, because I made a wrong choice. I ordered the chili because it said it had onions and cheese in it. It didn't mention that it was mostly beans which are not on Dukan Diet. However, I was right back OP when I got home. Then I read some more on the Dukan Diet thread I had found on a lc site and learned that #1 many of them tweak and modify the diet to fit them. And one lady who has lost loads of weight on this diet said not to think of it as a cheat, but to think of it as just choosing an off plan meal and then get right back on at the next meal. So that is what I did. I still don't like the idea of cutting back so much on the fat and learned that some of them modify that as well and still lose weight. They are looking for healthy weight loss and that is how they modify it to fit their life so they can live with it for life.

So over all, our day has been very good. Hope all is well with everyone.

fatmad
01-09-2012, 09:34 PM
had dessert yesterday when out to brunch, so sat down and thought out the next two weeks. Decided I want to eat the Indian food at Lilia's birthday extravaganza in 2 weeks, so will stay strictly on plan until then. So today, it was my administrators birthday, I bought her favourite pie, (raspberry custard) and didn't have any. Had a very delicious healthy lunch, and enjoyed the company of co-workers, without the pie. I will consciously not have the sweets, and remind myself of the wonderful indian food coming up at the birthday party.
Went to yoga this evening, and generally had a good day.
Planned all meals today, including snacks for before yoga, and DH followed my meal plan and supper was ready when I got home. Heaven, I think. :D
Hope everyone else had a good Monday

Ruthxxx
01-10-2012, 07:39 AM
FBGL of 4.3 again. Did the gym thing yesterday but my PT goes not want me to do leg work until I get my leg checked out. (Injured it mid-summer and it's still a bit lumpy. We're thinking haematoma. ) I did do treadmill and some arm work but it sure wasn't the usual work-out.

My appetite and cooking enthusiasm has disappeared again. I am not eating properly. I had planned a beef stir-fry for supper but ended up eating another frozen pasta dinner - low in calories but also low in protein. I guess I should have prepped the veggies and meat for the stir-fry while I was doing my marathon baking for today's funeral but ... Maybe tonight.

This will be a day of just trudging though - plumber will be here this morning to fix a leak, funeral and lunch this afternoon and then pet therapy with the dementia residents at the nursing home. I'll need a decent supper!

fatmad
01-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Ruth: do eat better. I know the meds reduce your appetite, but healthy eating is important too. HOpe the funeral isn't too difficult, and the reception afterward not too sweet filled. (thats where I have problems, after a sad and draining service, to be faced with all kinds of sweet treats, then I can't resist)
I guess you did a lot of the baking, so hope you made something that you can enjoy a bit.
Enjoy the pet therapy!

I slept ok, and weight is at ticker, hope to have s loss later this week if I can stick to the plan. I will be eating 4 planned meals a day, but supper is late at 7 or 730, and I hope that will help me avoid desserts and sweets.
GOing to yoga again tonight, and maybe even a trail walk as well. Today is a light work day, so will fill it with good stuff.
Happy Tuesday friends

Riemontana
01-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Hello Friends

fbs at 82 this morning. My weight is pretty stable but ticking downward a fraction of a pound at a time. I am also hoping for a weight loss as I head through the work. Today I am back at the oral surgeon to have stitches removed and treat an area that is not healing. :(

Ruth, :hug: I hope the service isn't too difficult. I think pet therapy will be a lovely and healing way to complete the day. Good luck on your eating. I also find that prepping food early in the day is the trick to sticking with a healthy meal in the evening.

Mad, your plans for the day sound wonderful. I guess the new scheduling is working for you? Nice!

Well, I am off to face the day. Later.

Rie

Ruthxxx
01-11-2012, 07:19 AM
Good morning. 5.4 BGL this morning after a veggie and meat stir fry. That puzzled me for a while until I remembered munching on dried strawberries while watching TV. :shrug: and :doh:

Life is way too busy lately so I need to control what I can. Meals are planned and partially prepped for today.

chipper15173
01-11-2012, 07:32 AM
good morning....
well once again, go into work and no fliers in mailboxes. this is getting frustrating. i get ready makeup and hair for just an hour to see it they showed. i ready to get this job done and over with. now it's looking like i will need to work sat and mon. if i do end up having to work the hours stated (9-7) than i will need the weekend break. i just want to get it done. i haven't been able to plan anything for the days. oh well, i just keep telling myself new running shoes and coach purse. that's what i plan with my pay. DH said i could get my coach purse i have been wanting for years. i want the running shoes first. LOL
hope everyone is doing good.
check back later

Riemontana
01-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Hello All.

Happy Hump Day! fbs at 74 this morning. Yesterday was another trip to the oral surgeon for followup. Some good and some bad. He had to do a little more work on the spot. Ouch. Other than that, I am hanging in there.

Today is a long day at work followed by pool league. I am doing really well with my eating although my calories are really low. I am thinking that I need to cycle in a higher day or two each week to keep the averages in a reasonable range. I have been staying at around 900.:?:

Chipper, hang in there. New shoes and a coach bag are worth a week's frustration.

Ruth, did you get your leg checked out or an appointment to do so? Hope your plan goes well for today.

Hi Mad, have a good day!

Rie

kris2008
01-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Riemontana - Are you on any medication or are you managing with just diet?

Riemontana
01-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Kris,

I am on metformin and Januvia. I also control carbs alot. I love the januvia. My bs has been so stable since I started it. I don't have any side effects from either medication. I also take a small dose of lisinopril, a blood pressure med, because it somewhat protects kidneys. I am hoping to come off that med if I can lose more weight.

Rie

pattygirl63
01-11-2012, 01:32 PM
A quick flyby. Leaving as soon as DD gets home to take DH to get his blood test. Don't know if we are going any where else or not. Had planned to goto Long John Silvers for his favorite fish and then to Sams but not sure he feels like it. Told him it didn't matter to me as I can just stay 100% OP if we don't. I plan to take the breading off the fish and chicken at LJS, but it will be tempting not to. If we don't go to out, I may bring him home and go get my nails done as the girl who does mine is going to visit family for 2 weeks in Vietnam and leaves Monday.

My FBS this morning was 113 :carrot: so I actually have the incentive I need to stay 100%. However, if I decide to make it an Off plan meal, I just get right back On with my next meal/snack. So I've learned not to make it a big deal... that is real growth for me. So either way I am ready for whatever comes. And I would really love to be under 220 when I see the doc in 3 weeks.

Ruthie Do the best you can to stay as close to OP as you can and get that leg checked.

Rie Hope your not in any pain.

Chipper Just stay focused on your goal and maybe the time will go quicker for you.

Kris, Fatmad and everyone else:wave:

Have a great Wednesday.

FatLea
01-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Hi everyone. :)
I am new here and I'm thrilled to see a community of diabetics all supporting one another.
I was doing Atkins for a while which my diabetes loved but....There is always a but isn't there?......I developed insulin resistance and ended up on ridiculous amounts of insulin. I am still battling this and my bg's are awful but I am a fighter so I won't give up.
I am just keeping to lowish carb and portion control at the moment, foodwise. I really need to lose this weight though. I'll be interested to see how everyone else has done it. :)
I look forward to getting to know you all. I am an insomniac so will probably pop in and out of here at all hours to keep myself motivated.
Any ideas will be very gratefully received. :listen:

Riemontana
01-12-2012, 03:15 AM
Hi Lea! Welcome to the thread. Great group here.

Rie

fatmad
01-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Welcome fatlea, and it doesn't matter how you lose it, you need to lose to reduce your insulin resistance. Exercise will also help a ton.

Went to yoga again last night so am pleased to be doing well that way. Making a big salad for work today, hope for yoga again tonight, and DH planned a good supper for us afterward. However, yesterday messed up with chocolate. The food I had planned for late pm snack before yoga turned out to be off, and hungry, reached for the first thing, the choc the local pharmacy had sent over as a business thank you gift. No thank you, must get that out of the office......
otherwise no major issues today. Enjoyed some social time with another couple, played euchre until a bit too late, so am a little tired today, but in a good mood after a nice night.
Happy Thursday friends.

Ruthxxx
01-12-2012, 09:25 AM
:welcome: Lea. Yes, losing weight will definitely help your diabetes - it did mine!

Since I am a MOD and ADMIN on this Forum, I don't have time to do personals every morning but try to check in with my FBGL and a bit of a report. I do read everything though. Just sayin' ...

FBGL of 4.5 this morning and I DID cook dinner last night. So there! It's a terrible day with ice pellets happening so I'm grounded today. I plan to make clam chowder for lunch and will even have some (measured) potato in it! My appetite and enthusiasm for cooking are slowly returning after cutting my Victoza dosage a bit.

Re the leg: I see the doc tomorrow morning to get the requisition for a test. I think it's a Doppler test on both the leg and the arteries in my neck. It sucks to get older but when you examine the alternatives ...

pattygirl63
01-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Lea :welcome2: This is a great group for support. Jump in and let us get to know you. I agree with the others that losing weight is the key to keeping the insulin under control.

Ruthie I'm so glad you are getting the leg checked out. I agree with you that about getting older. DH mother told us before she died to "Never think of yourself as old". I also remember an aunt who also said that she never felt old until she hit her 80s. I always say I don't mind getting older as it is better than the althernatives, but I just don't want to look or feel old.

Fatmad Strange no matter what situation we find ourselves in, we always find that there is something to challenge us. I suppose that is what keeps us on our toes.

Didn't go out to eat yesterday. DH didn't sleep well the night before and it was cold, raining and dreary out so we just came back home. I ate dinner and got sick. I think I need to put a little bit of fats in my diet. I ended up making 6 days on the Attack Phase of Dukan Diet which I'm happy with since the average is 3. Read an article yesterday that someone shared on another site about why low carb works. It also showed the importance of having some fats. Don't have to go heavy on the fats, but they do need to be included. I'll see if I can get the link to the article and post it here. The article also shared that berries are a low carb fruit. So I got my Atkins book out and read it again and found that the only difference between Atkins Induction and the Cruise phase which you go on until you reach goal is the fats. Atkins allows fats and Dukan doesn't. I'm not fond of going fat free. I think it plays an important part of eating especial of weight loss. So I decided if I'm going to be eating a diet that almost equals Induction any way, why not just do the Atkins Induction using a small amount of fat rather than doing the Dukan Cruise with no fat. I just think it is dangerous to cut out all fats. Stranage isn't it how I fought going on strict low carb and ended up choosing to do it after all. FBS has improved so I guess I've to admit that my body only functions well on one way of eating and that is low carbing. I went back to when I first got on low carb after learning I was T2 diabetic and the FBS showed the same improvement. It's time to stop playing around with other diets etc and face up to the fact that this is the way I have to eat if I want to be healthy and just do it.:dizzy: If I can do 6 days of only protein then I can surely do Atkins woe as a lifestyle.

Bonnie I hope everything is going well for you.

Rie, Chipper, Lindyloo and everyone else:wave:

Y'all have a good Thursday.

kris2008
01-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Very interesting article on the affect of exercise on diabetes and fat.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/11/exercise-hormone-helps-keep-us-healthy/?src=me&ref=general

Let me know what you think!

Riemontana
01-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Hello friends!

fbs at 86 this morning. Probably because I didn't sleep well. I ate my usual breakfast and I have my day planned. I intend to make this a low calorie day so I am planning for baked fish and roasted veggies for supper. I absolutely love roasted cauliflower! yum.

Trish, I am very fond of low carb or moderate low carb. When I was first diagnosed, I was allowed the standard diet of 145 carbs per day. I actually ate 45 - 60 at most. I don't eat huge amounts of fat but I get some olive oil in cooking. You will find your way. Hang in there.

Ruth, it sucks to get old.... I agree. I just don't agree that any of us are old. ;) All four of my grandparents lived until their mid 90's so my ideas of old may be different. Glad that you felt like cooking yesterday.

Mad, yup, I am amazed at the temptations that abound in our worlds. For me, it was some mexican chicken creamy dip that was served at a meeting yesterday. I took a tiny amount and two chips and then kind of pushed it around on my plate. :( Planning works but I am often troubled by the amount of "obligatory" eating that we have to deal with.

Lea, what kind of plan are you thinking of using?

Well, I will check in later.

Rie

pattygirl63
01-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Here is the article I mentioned earlier.

http://www.youmeworks.com/whylowcarb.html

kris2008
01-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Trish - Very interesting article! Thanks -

pattygirl63
01-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Rie I'm sure low carbing is the way I need to eat if I want to get the blood sugar where it should be and where I want it. I should be thankful that this works. Thanks for the encouragement.

Kris The article plus the Atkins and the Dukan diet books pretty much made it clear to me how I need to eat. I know there are other ways, but I believe this one is the right way for me.

Oh, BTW, I have made my goal of being under 220. My scales were a stable 219 this morning. Hooray!!!

Butterfly50
01-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Hey Ladies Sorry I havnt been on here lately but on Sat night my aunt had to be rushed to the er . They didnt know if she had a stroke or a heart attack . They said her heart showed signs of distress and that she had to stay in the hospital for two days . She is doing good I have been helping her out here alot so not alot of time on here I hope I can get back soon...She is doing alot better now so I am gonna do my best to get in the routine I have had before ... Will get back on here as soon as I can to let you all know How it goes...

Riemontana
01-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Hello Friends!

Trish, I really liked the article. Thanks. One thing it really explained to me was the whole concept of "net" carbs. Lately ( 45 days or so) I have been eating a lot more carbs than usual in the form of extreme fiber cereal, flax seed and chia seed. I have seen absolutely no increase in my bs - in fact - often lower. I wonder now if it is because of all the fiber. I am averaging about 40+ grams of fiber per day, so my 100 or so carbs per day is still only a net of 60. Interesting....thanks!

Bonnie, bless you for taking care of your aunt and I am so glad that you were able to stop in. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Be back in the morning

Rie

Ruthxxx
01-13-2012, 07:17 AM
Drat! Lost a long post and no time to re-create. When will I learn to copy things before I go wandering off to check new posts. (Scammers delight in posting in the wee small hours of the morning!)

Great to see Bonnie popping in. Kris and Patty good articles. Rie impressive fibre intake!

Me? Holding at 180 and FBGL 4.8.

pattygirl63
01-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Good Morning Chickies

Kids are off to school, baby still sleeping and house is quiet so thought I would drop in now. Busy day ahead.

Hope you chickies up north are staying warm. It is 28 degrees here and I'm freezing this morning and I know it is much colder for many of you even having snow and ice. Stay safe.

Ruthie I hate it when I type a long message and lose it. I never know if I hit a wrong button or what but it is gone. You have a great day.

Rie Thanks for sharing. I think fiber is important just as it is important to have some fat. I will probably work that into my plan as well as I tweak my low carbing. I want to watch the amount of carbs and get that stable and then slowly add the fiber so that the weight comes off steadily and stays off. Definitely plan this to be the year I lose as much as I can of this weight and be healthier in the process.

Bonnie So sorry about your aunt. It appears that you moved in just at the right time. Prayers coming your way. I've been in that position several times and although you are happy to be there for them, it is also stressful to be the caregiver. It is important to be sure to find a moment for yourself along the way so you can have the strength to be who you need to be for her at this time.

Go to the beauty shop for perm today and hope I can get my nails done today. Then I will make my Saturday shopping this evening so I don't have to go out tomorrow. Then I can do what I haven't done in years, sleep in on a Saturday. If I can't get my nails done today, I won't be able to do that as I'll have to get there early in the morning to be her 1st customer before she gets busy. She leaves Monday for Vietnam to visit her family.

Y'all have a great Friday.

Lindyloo
01-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Good Morning!!

Interesting article Trish, makes sense to me.

I forget to take my medication last night and woke up with a 8.0 reading this morning. I'll bet that didn't have anything to do with the bag of turkish delights that called my name all day.

DS & DIL stayed with us last night so they could catch the early morning plane to Phoenix. Nice to have them here for a change.

Have a great day.

BBL

Riemontana
01-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Happy Friday Everyone.

fbs at 70 this morning so I am eating my fiber cereal mixture before working out. I actually slept in this morning.... but I was up pretty late last night. I am working at home this morning and then I have my monthly charity pool tourney tonight. It will be a long day so it is good that I slept late.

Lindy, I am glad that you had a nice time with the kids. What are "turkish delights?"

Trish, I think it sounds like you have a good plan. I have added back all these fiber carbs after almost a year of pretty low/controlled carb eating. I am surprised that it works. When I started, I tried for less than 15 carbs plus a protein source for breakfast and I focused on non-grain carbs as much as possible. Good luck.

Ruth, good numbers. I recently installed a new browser and 3fc has been working better for me. But, it seems like every time I don't copy my post, POOF! how frustrating. Oh well, like in gift giving, it is the thought that counts. We know that you were a chatty cathy this morning.... :D;)

Mad, how's your work week?

Well, I am off to do aerobics before inertia and laziness grabs me :carrot: Be back later!

Rie

Ruthxxx
01-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Well, could not get enough blood for a test this morning so quit after three tries. I'm pretty sure it's around the same though.

Mr Scale seems to like being at 180 and is paying no attention to our discussions. It was expecting me to be eating more yesterday and just refused to budge overnight. Because of weather, both my lunch and dinner dates were postponed and I ate healthy food at home, not what Mr Scale had expected so he refused to change his plans.

The Doc examined my leg again yesterday and has given me the go ahead to do legwork at the gym. There is still a very large and deep bruise in the leg which he says is slowly going away - it's been six months. Because of concern about clots, he will schedule some tests at the hospital - ultra sound and electro-cardio gram, I think. (My ears sort of shut down when I hear "hospital'!) He also wants me to increase my Vitamin C intake which he says speeds healing.

Today will be a 'safe" day although I am going to the Diner for breakfast - two poached eggs on toast without butter. Veggie/bean soup, an orange and Greek yogurt is on the my lunch menu and I guess supper will be be chicken breast again with Chop-Chop salad which is a mix of finely chopped veggies, no lettuce.

I will kick Mr Scale in the butt!

Butterfly50
01-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Hey Ladies I am back again everything here is quiet right now everyone is still sleeping. I have been up took my meds and ate my breakfast and now jest sitting here waiting for everyone one else to get up thought about getting dressed and going walking but it is so cold out their this morning. Went to sam's Yesterday and bought me three huge cases of water so I am planning my days out think I am gonna have to start Monday when all will be back to a routine .

My Aunt is doing fine my Son took her to her DR Apt Yesterday and he said she didn't have anything wrong with her heart they they think she had a bad Anxiety attack and too much stress. She dont know how to release her stress. She has a daughter who is living with a guy and has a baby by him. Well needless to say he is a drunk so when he starts drinking bad she will take the baby and leave and she call her mom and then all the fighting starts. That is what happened last weekend and my daughter was their and we always told her that is she dont feel comfortable to call and we will come get her and that is what happened. She had this attack on the way home from her house and seems like my daughter got the blunt end of it cause she was their at the house when all the drinking and arguing started and then when my aunt had her attack then she ended holing the baby head still cause my aunt was driving the car when it happened and her daughter had to slam the car into park to keep from wreaking the car well my daughter hit her head and then jumped out the car and ran to her dad who pulled in behind them they had to go to the nearest gas station and wait for the Ems and then they had my daughter ride with her to the hospital and wait for them to drop the baby off to me and get their.
Now she is showing her anxiety signs again she has been sleeping with her younger sister cause she thinks something is gonna happen.

It has been some week I am jest glad we were here to help and that we can keep her from worry about so much stuff that dont need to be worried about right now and she not lonely any more.

I know this is long but I must be getting up and get some stuff going here. I will be back soon.

Riemontana
01-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Hello friends!

fbs at 81 this morning. I am very tired because I had a late night and only got about 4+ hours of sleep. My scale is not cooperating. I am wondering if I am eating too low calorie right now. My ticker is still accurate but it sure hasn't dropped after a week of less than 1000 calories per day. :mad: I will persevere.

Bonnie, I am glad that you are there to help your aunt. Family troubles are the pits. We look forward to you hanging out with us.

Ruth, I think our scales are in cahoots. Grrr. Hang in there. It is good that your dr is being careful about the possibility of blood clots. At least you will know that everything is ok.

I hope everyone else is having a good weekend. I will check in later for more personals.

Rie

Riemontana
01-14-2012, 01:31 PM
:bday2you:

Happy Birthday Ruthie!

:gift::woo::celebrate:

Have a really great Day

pattygirl63
01-14-2012, 02:19 PM
:bday2you:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RUTHIE!!!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

:gift::balloons::woo:

pattygirl63
01-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Ruthie - Glad you are having the leg checked out and pray everything will be okay... no clots. I forgot about Vitamin C being a healer. DH has good and bad days and he just might need some Vit-C to help speed up his healing. I'll have to tell him about that.

Rie - You could be cutting your cals too far back at 1000 and throwing your body into what they call starvation mode and it is holding on to what it has. It is something to think about.

Bonnie - So sorry about the family problems going on, but glad you are there for your aunt. Sounds like she really needs you. Hope things get better soon.

I woke up this morning with another charliehorse in my left leg. I wake up to one in one or both legs everyday. I take the B vitamins but it isn't keeping me from having them. I decided that I'm not going to put up with them. I'm going off the Metformin since cutting it back doesn't seem to help either. Decided there is only one thing to do, take care of the FBG with low carb diet. Definitely on strict low carb kind of a combo of Atkins/Dukan. More of an Atkins with lower fat. I'm not much of a fat eater any way, but I really think the fat is important. When I've gone too low on fat, my hair starts falling out and my nails go frail. So I will not do a no fat diet at all. I will be eating more of an Atkins with some fat. I know this will control the blood sugar, I'll lose weight and I love how people who lose weight eating low carb looks. I should have stuck with this a year and a half ago when I first found out about the diabetes. It took me only 3 months to get all my blood work #s back to normal with Atkins. I was so stupid as I treated it like we do most "diets"... I hit my goal of getting things under control and then I quit and started playing around looking for a diet that would let me eat whatever I wanted and IT'S NOT OUT THERE. Plus my body obviously likes and functions better with low carb. So I'm going with it. I finished 6 days of the Dukan Attack phase, so now I'm switching to Atkin's Induction with a little tweaking on the fats.

Everybody have a great Saturday. Catch y'all later.

Ruthxxx
01-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the BDay wishes, chickies. I've had a day doing exactly what i felt like doing which included a trip to the city to poke around the shops. My special dinner tonight will be moules mariniere with toast and a spinach salad. there will be a bit of chamagne sipped as well - leftovers from Christmas Eve.

Ruthxxx
01-15-2012, 07:51 AM
FBGL this morning 4.3 and Mr Scale finally dropped into the 170s!

Riemontana
01-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Good Morning!

fbs at 79 this morning. My weight is no longer "steady". I am now calling it "stuck". Of course, saying I am having slow digestion problems (sorry tmi) is an understatement. I will keep on and keep the faith.

Ruth, Into the 170's....:carrot: Yay. what a great birthday present! I am happy for you.

Trish, What about potassium? I get charlie horses really bad if I don't get enough potassium and calcium. I have always eaten bananas to provide potassium and then started supplementing when I got the diabetes dx and I don't eat them anymore. If I miss a few days..... OUCH. Just saying.... It could be the metformin.. but how much potassium are you getting?

Bonnie, Mad and others.... Happy Sunday.

Rie

pattygirl63
01-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Ruthie - Yahooo!!! So happy for you to make it into the 170s.

Rie - I was also having some pain in my back and it seems to have lifted a lot since I stopped the Met. I usually take potassium with magnesium, but haven't in the last few days. Maybe I should start taking it again. I take 1200 mg of calcium a day as well beside the foods I eat with the calcium because I know that calcium is so important when eating low carb. Thanks for the reminder. I thought my exhaustion feeling was the extreme low carb I had been doing, but maybe it is the combo of not taking the potassium and the low carb. I had worked myself up to 2000 mg Met a day and backed off to 1500 mg. Maybe now that I'm eating healthier with moderately low carb, perhaps I can take just 1000 mg. I really hate giving Met up completely. Doc had told me that I could up it to 2000 as long as my body could handle it. Perhaps my body is telling me that it can't handle the 2000, but will handle the 1000. I know it is important at least until I get the blood sugar completely under control and I'm not really there yet. I decided to divide the 1000 mg in half and take a total of 1000 a day starting today.

Today, I was my WI day and I really am down to 219 lbs. I am now working toward 209. I found my little book where I wrote down my weight and measurements on Dec 26th and I have actually lost 9 lbs since Christmas. Didn't check the measurements as I plan to do that on Jan 26th. I have made my 1st goal which I wanted to make before I go back to the doc. I go back on Feb 1st. So I have time to go down some more before then.

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday.

Ruthxxx
01-16-2012, 06:18 AM
Up way too early again although I didn't go to bed until 11. BGL just fine despite my birthday dinner last night. Yes, I did have a small piece of my BD dessert and it was worth the calories! I may have laughed them off though.

A normal day lies ahead with gym at 7:30, being gentle and careful with my legs. It's cold today and the osteo-arthritis is acting up. "Uncle Arthur is visiting" as they say around here.

I hope your mid-January Monday goes well and you do something nice for yourself.

Riemontana
01-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Good Morning all!

fbs at 84 this morning and I did 50 minutes of "old school" low impact aerobics. It was fun and a really good workout.

I have been wishing for snow and we are getting it. However, I was hoping for one of those pretty, large flake gently falling kind of storms. Instead it is currently -16 below and the wind is blowing something fierce. :p

Ruth, I smiled at the image of you laughing away the calories at your birthday supper. How lovely. And certainly deserved. :hug:

Hello out there! BBL

Rie

Butterfly50
01-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Hey Yall Good afternoon here boy this day is almost gone . I hope to be able to come by on a daily bases now everything is calmed down. I am getting my TV hooked up tonight and I will alos have them hook the wii back up too. Then I can get to working on loosing weight again Yes I have not really gained much but I need to get back into it. Guess I will be on meds longer then I wanted to. Well I better be going I have lots to do. I hope all is having a great day....

pattygirl63
01-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Good afternoon. Guess I needed the potassium as I didn't wake up with leg cramps even though I took 1000 mg Met yesterday. So hopefully that will help. FBS was back up, but it's because I ate too many carbs yesterday so not doing well on a very low carb woe. I am still counting WW P+ for portion control and doing moderate low carb. I figure that is better than doing nothing. Drinking loads of water and green tea today.

Have the kids home today and no one told me that SIL had to work today so I stayed up late and got up late to find that both DD and her hubby were gone and 18 yr old was taking care of the baby. He had stayed up late and planned to sleep in himself. I don't think he knew his step-dad was working today either. He usually has Monday off and we all just assumed he was since no one told us different.

Bonnie Glad to see you were able to check in and that things have calmed down.

Rie We haven't had a snow yet. We were told you don't get one every year hear by the guy who built our house, but we've had at least 1 and sometime 2 every year since we moved here 5 years ago. However, we have had the cold.

Ruthie I think you deserved to enjoy your BD dessert. Glad you did.

Not much going on here today. I think sleeping late only makes me sleepier. I could take a nap everyday about this time.

Y'all have a good Monday.

fatmad
01-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Hi Friends: first of all, A belated :bday2you: for Ruth! Sorry I missed it.
Was away for a few days, visiting with friends, managed not to gain or go off track from plan, so was happy to be able to be social and not go off plan, other than a small glass of wine one evening. Got out a a little ski while there. The weather was cold and crisp, and I need to remember to take my puffer BEFORE exercising in those conditions.
Today (tmi) having very loose bowel conditions, so tummy is sore and gassy, hope to be able to go to yoga later, but not if I have to worry about leaving the room too quickly.
This is on call and post-partum visit week for me, but not expecting to be terribly busy. Start a little holiday on Monday for 2 weeks, looking forward to it. GOing skiing for a week. FBS are in the 5s, but I did a random last week, my bs monitor said 5.7 but the lab value was 3.1 (a low!) I used blood from my arm, not a capillary to test, so don't know why that was. So have to wonder about the tests that keep showing in the 5s, maybe I am doing better than I think.

WOW, such a lot happening. Ruthie, you are chasing me down the scale, I must get on track and match you. I think lower carb WW would be a solution, and I may even join for a while to get on track.
BOnnie, hope all is well for Auntie and her family, and that you are all a blessing and can help reduce stress for her.
Trish, congrats too on your weight loss, thats a nice milestone to pass. Keep up the good work, and hope DH gets better too.
Rie, Lindyloo and everyone, :carrot::cp: hello.

talk to you all tmw I hope.

fatmad
01-17-2012, 09:02 AM
good morning ladies: fbs was 5.8 this am, inspite of not eating much yesterday. Weight is true to ticker, as I had an upset tummy and the runs and didn't eat much as a result. Feel ok this am, so back to normal eating. Meeting a friend for lunch, going to a place where I can eat on plan.
Researched local ww meetings, there is one on Wed nights in my area, so I am thinking of it. What do you think of the costs? Is the support and info worth it?
Have a good Tuesday friends.

pattygirl63
01-17-2012, 09:37 AM
:wave:Everybody

Busy day today. Therapist comes at noon to work with the baby and I have loads of work to do today. Weight is up a little bit because of going from strict low carb to eating. I think the best food plan that probably combine Atkins and Dukan is South Beach. Going to continue using WW P+ to control portions, but use the South Beach Phase 2 as a guideline because it uses good fats and as you know I don't like going totally FF. I just don't think it is healthy. Even my doc says you need some fat.

Mad I do WW at home so not sure about the cost. I would probably do meetings if I had the time, but don't have the time right now. The wonderful thing about WW these days is that it will fit any way we decide to eat. Check and see, but I think you sometimes can have a free visit to see if you will like it or it would be helpful to you.

Everybody have a great Tuesday!!!

Riemontana
01-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Hello all,

Well, for the first time in months, I forgot to test this morning. What is up with that??? Oh well, I tested a little more than an hour after breakfast and my bs is a steady 103. Pretty good. My weight is still stuck, hoping that I will see a loss later this week.

Mad, I have never done ww. I have watched lots of people do it, some with success, some without much success - like any other plan. I have looked at it but I had a hard time with converting to points and then counting points. I would rather just count carbs and calories. The reason that there are so many diet plans is that we are all blessedly different.

Trish, I think that we need some fat, also. It is important for so many body functions. I hope you have a good day. Sorry about the baby sitting mix up yesterday.

Bonnie, it will be lovely to have you back in the group.

Ruth, I also forget about the value of vitamin C. It is interesting to me that many of my canadian friends speak of their docs recommending supplements at various times. Rarely happens her in the US, except for calcium and aspirin therapy. Hmmmmmm.

Hello to everyone I missed. I am just running late today. Later.

Rie

Lindyloo
01-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Freeeeezing here -31 and with the wind chill I think it's about -40. Glad I don't have to go out anywhere.

BS was 7.1 this morning, not bad for me.

Ruth, a belated Happy Birthday to you. Sorry I missed it.

I have done WW a few times, but just can't seem to stick with it. I also can't see paying whatever it is now ($15?) a week. Just can't justify the amount every week.

Slow cooker beef soup for dinner tonight and I might treat myself to a WW bun.

Have a great day.

fatmad
01-17-2012, 09:54 PM
for those who can handle oatmeal in the mornings, (personally love it) I made steel cut oats in my slow cooker. I put in the oats, with a litre of soy milk, (I always cook mine in milk or soy milk to up the protein) in the crock after I had sprayed with non-stick spray. It cooked overnight while I slept. Was enjoyed by all.

Got to yoga this am, and ate on plan today except for a bit of chocolate. I am a chocoholic and may have to enter rehab to get off this habit. But calorie-wise, did fine today.

THink I will check out ww tomorrow night, can't hurt and probably better than the doctor bernsteins I was thinking of.

Ruthxxx
01-18-2012, 06:54 AM
Dragging a bit this morning - maybe because the darned scale is going up again. I suspect it's water weight and am going back on the diuretic this morning. I need to nip it in the bud before I put on 19 pounds again! FBGL 3.7.

Threw together a veal stew in the crockpot yesterday morning. It was so nice to have a lovely aroma in the house on a cold, cold day. I love my crockpot.

Not sue what today will bring. It's gym day but the driving may keep me home. If so, I'll hit the treadmill.

pattygirl63
01-18-2012, 08:23 AM
:wave:Y'all have a great day!!!

chipper15173
01-18-2012, 09:39 AM
just a quick update on "the job". (car has an appointment in few)
well, everyday he would text me. i'll call if the fliers are in the mail. so everyday i would get up dress, makeup, hair, and wait. i knew by noon if no text, no fliers. so friday i had a really bad headache and was laying down to get rid of it, just in case. he textes again "i'll call if their in the mail". i texted him back, "if they aren't in today, get the other girl to do them, i am not going to do this anymore". everyday i had included in my prayers that if they were suppose to be there, then let them be. and those darn fliers showed up in saturdays mail. so that was my sign i just was not suppose to do this. but, part of my (low selfasteam) says you should have just waited. i was just tired of waiting.......so no new shoes. with tax money.
gotta get going. lots of accidents out there today. it rain. that's a new thing around here lately.

fatmad
01-18-2012, 09:53 AM
accidental exposure to grapefruit yesterday when a co-worker was having one, and my food got squirted. Answers the question of whether I am just allergic to lemon or all citrus. WORST hives in months. no anaphylaxis , but my torso and butt are just one mass of red. My bum is so warm, you would think I was sitting on a heating pad. FBS was 7.4 this am :(, suspect it has to do with either the meds or the reaction. Weight also up this am, suspect I am retaining fluid in the hives. (who knew it would add 3-4 pounds though):p

Spending the day in comfy pjs until I have to work.

Riemontana
01-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Hello Friends.

I was awake early this morning after a very stressful day at work yesterday. fbs at 81. My weight is still not moving but I am keeping the faith and the program :p I lifted weights this morning. Even though it doesn't take as much time or burn as many calories as aerobic stuff, I am trying to keep my goal of direct muscle work. I feel the need for toning. I am eating a little more but still getting in at 1100 - 1200 calories per day.

Mad, I am so sorry about the citrus accident! That must be so uncomfortable. Though there was no shock from that tiny amount it is concerning.... Imagine if you had gotten a bigger exposure:eek:

Ruth, glad that you are back on the diuretics before things get out of hand. Feel better. :hug:

Chipper, I think you were being treated badly. Self Esteem is a consequence of valuing yourself and refusing to be treated badly. I'm sorry you will have to wait to get your shoes but I am glad that you stood up for yourself.

Bonnie, How's it going?

Trish, you have a good day, also:coffee:

I will check back here later.

Rie

Ruthxxx
01-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Donna and I did go to the gym, icy roads and all. I feel much better for having done it.

fatmad
01-18-2012, 09:40 PM
I did it, went the WW meeting. Felt like going to AA, my name is Madeleine and I am a foodaholic. Maybe the accountability will help me. DIdn't feel like the "meeting" part was particularly helpful, but they sure supply you with a lot of "stuff" to read and that included a menu plan. These are helpful for me. I gotta get DH on board with menu planning so that he cooks more complete meals.
Well, off to sign in online with my membership. If it works, the price is small.

Butterfly50
01-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Hey Ladies well Still have to get my Wii hooked up in my room will make my son do it in the am. Went walking tonight almost the whole family joined we only walked one mile But better then nothing.

Still trying to get my food under control I have some things I have to do. My FBS was 81 this morning so that isn't bad. Well I better be going I have to get up in the am to go walking again..

Ruthxxx
01-19-2012, 05:27 AM
Good morning. I'm up way too early, thanks to the doggie howling chorus. We have coyotes (wolves?) in the woods and my darlings are auditioning for their choir.

BGL 4.2 and weight starting down a bit thanks to the diuretic. Food was very good yesterday although I did change my supper menu from pasta to a chicken salad - just ran out of the energy to cook a sauce. I'll do that this afternoon. I got my order from Low-Carb Canada and will be giving the magic noodles another try. They are not the same as real pasta but ...

Mad, are you doing WW online or at meetings? I tried both and decided meetings were a waste of time and money. The leader tried but the meetings were repetitious. At least with South Beach, I can bore myself! However, everyone has to find a food plan that suits their own lifestyle. Believe me, I've tried them all - except fasts and purges. :yikes:

I hope everyone has a day of mindful eating - you are worth it!

fatmad
01-19-2012, 09:34 AM
HI all: fbs this am 5.8, still not coming down much, and never really has. SO, I tucked my "bready" breakfast into my ww guide, and its 4 points, before I put any peabu or cream cheese on it! I was surprised, but looked at the bag of flaxmeal, and realized that while it is low carb, (the carbs about equal the fibre) it is high fat. Never realized. Good fat of course.
The new points plus plan doesn't count most veggies, and same for fruits, they all have 0 points, so that is my filler, close to what I do now, but gives some freedom for fruit. Will be planning on snacking on apples etc. Thats something new I will enjoy.
The meeting was weird, with stars being given out to people who had lost weight. Don't really love that, but I like supporting others. Maybe in a few weeks I will be able to genuinely celebrate the successes of my ww the way I do here. It made me realize how much you all mean to me, having the support here and wanting to hear how people are doing here.
Ruth, I am doing a combined plan, I am to go to a weekly meeting, at least to weigh in, but pref for the whole thing, and have access to all the online stuff. I like the points calculator and food tracker. I tried fitday and another one, and didn't find it helpful. This one is easier to use, so I might actually use it.
They weren't alarmed about me not eating grains, but they are adamant that we eat to our points. (I am sure you mostly know, you get base points and flex points, and we are to eat to base points so we get minimal nutrition every day.)

On another note, insomnia struck again, but usually when I can't sleep, I am wide awake, but this am I was really tired. Got up and came downstairs, and napped a bit on the couch so that was good, though I had weird dreams.
Have a busy day, and have to figure out how to manage my points between lunch potluck, the afternoon snack at a meeting and a potluck party tonight.
There won't be much opportunity for exercise so I need to get on the treadmill asap.
hope to read about you all tomorrow morning.

Riemontana
01-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Hello Friends!

fbs at 92 this morning. A little high, possibly because I had a very restless and practically sleepless night. I also ate a few wheat thin crackers last night at pool.:(

We are having a major storm here and yesterday morning I slid on ice and had a wreck. bummer. I haven't had an accident since I was 15 years old. It was very slow motion, not serious and I am thankful that no one was hurt. Although I was the driver in the rear, and therefore "at fault" for insurance purposes, I didn't get a ticket. It wasn't really a big deal but I went immediately to work, had back to back meetings all day and then headed for home. As I exited the interstate near my home, another driver lost control and forced me of the exit. I had to drive over 3 miles on very icy road to get to the next exit. And this was with my heart pounding! I came home and just cried. I had to go out again last night for pool league - it was probably a good thing although it was scary to drive. I am ok, though.

Fatmad, I am proud of you for going to the meeting and checking out a new plan. It will be nice for you to be able to enjoy some fruit. It will take time for you to feel a true part of the group. If that doesn't happen for you, the program might still work well. I agree with you about the support here. It is like no other group that I have joined.

Bonnie, your fbs is solid so that is really good news. It sounds like you are really settling into your new life.

Trish, Lindy, everyone.... I hope you have a good day with mindful eating.

Rie

aliasihaya
01-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Hello everyone. So I've been staring at the Chat thread for awhile and just now got up the nerve to join in. It would be nice to have some support for what I find is a very confusing disease for me. Sorry in advance for the length. :-)

I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago. I was actually told by a nurse over the phone after my doctor diagnosed it from my blood work. Now I really do like my PCP. She's informative yet non-judgemental. But really a nurse over the phone? And it was right before I was taking a 3 week trip overseas. So because I didn't really get any guidance (just a script for 500mg metformin) I didn't really take it very seriously. So over the past year I've pretty much avoided it. I never tested my blood sugar and was bad about taking my medication. So surprise, surprise, my checkup six months ago showed no change and she uppded me to 1000mg of metformin.

So about 4 months ago I decided to take really take the weight loss thing seriously. I'm diabetic, have high blood pressure, hashimotos, depression/bipolar. Got a lot going on and many different doctors. Overall I know that a weight reduction will help all of this (except maybe the hashimotos). I hired a trainer and nutritionist in October. It was the nutritionist who really convinced me that I needed to really start taking this seriously. She told me to get a glucose monitor and set me on a low carb diet.

And of course I ignored the diet for a few months. I'd try it every now and then but would give in to my cravings. I also didn't give up alcohol. And I'm in a neighborhood that drinks a lot together. So I went back to my PCP in December and found out that my sugar was still up around 200. She upped my metformin to 2000mg and I decided it was finally time to get my life in order.

So starting in January (not a resolution though!), I really started meal planning and working out 3 times a week. It's only been a few weeks but it's really helping. We've gotten my post meal bs down to around 112 - 130. Way better than what it was. But unfortunately my fasting sugar is still anywhere between 150 - 190. I'm worried that when I go back to my PCP in March that she's going to want to change my medication. And I DON'T want to go on insulin. So I'm hoping that some weight loss will start to help my numbers.

Anyway, sorry this was so long. But this is my story. I'm hoping that starting to talk openly about this will help with my journey. I really have to take this seriously and I don't want to fall off the wagon anymore.

Thanks for listening!

pattygirl63
01-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Another quick fly to say :wave: to everybody and :welcome3:to aliasihaya.

Have some errands to run. I'll be back later for indies.

Lindyloo
01-19-2012, 03:28 PM
:welcome:aliasihaya.

Just got back from taking the dogs for a haircut and it's -25. I wouldn't have normally, but wanted them clean for the dog sitter next week.

I forgot to take my medication last night and FB was 7.7.

Mad, I hope WW works for you.

Rie, so glad no one was hurt. The roads around here are the same. Today was the first day I ventured out since Monday.

Bonnie, good luck with the Wii. I love mine, but I don't seem to use it as much as I'd like to.

Have a great day.

fatmad
01-19-2012, 07:21 PM
did pc testing twice today, since I added fruit. I had a small dish of blueberries with breakfast and some melon and strawberries this afternoon. (had fruit tray and cheese tray served at one of the 4 meetings of the day). Both pc sugars were WNL so I can handle the fructose, it will remain to be seen if I lose weight. Its good the veggies are 0 points, but eating to atkins otherwise sure has the points adding up fast. Will be using a few flex points tonight at the party. A friend took his citizenship oath today and we are going to a "Canadian" party.
I resisted the urge to make tourtiere and tarte sucre, the French Canadian specialities that I excel at. THe latter would do me in totally. I love it, and its good I no longer live in Quebec to eat it regularly. ALso no beaver tails.
But we do have good stuff, like Lumberjack shirts, I am dressing as Superman (a Canadian created comic!) and DH will be Doug MacKenzie.
SHould be fun.
Have had supper, so planning only diet soda and some cheese tonight.

Riemontana
01-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Mad, so a "canadian" party is a costume party?

Ruthxxx
01-20-2012, 05:48 AM
:lol: at Rie. I think they are dressing up because of a new Canadian - just for fun. I'm drooling thinking of the Quebecois cooking though. I'm sure glad Mad is not doing that good stuff.

BGL up a tad to 5.6 this morning because I did not take glyburide last night. Duh! I guess I still need the tiny dose I've been taking - half a 2.5 mg tablet.

I need to get my sleep straightened out. Once again I woke at 4 for potty and the brain went into full speed ahead. :shrug: I had been taking Melatonin but the very vivid dreams are getting to me. Maybe switch to something else?

pattygirl63
01-20-2012, 09:17 AM
Good Morning Chickies,

This has been a busy week. DH had a doctor's appt with digestive doc and we learned that DH has a protein c & s deficiency. Searched it on line and DH is going to have to force himself to start moving around more or he won't get any better. Don't know if I can sell him on that one or not. Sure hope his DD or one of his other docs can help convince him. Sure hope something will click for him.

Yesterday was kind of a carby day, but today will be a lot less. Go this afternoon to get my hair color back to red... color I was born with. Highlighting has begun to damage my hair and the gray is more than the blonde so I'm ready for a change.

Ruthie I used to take Melatonin but it got to where it left me groggy the next day. So had to give it up. Can't take sleeping pills either. I took half of an over the counter sleeping pill night before last and was in a fog all day yesterday. Just don't do well with anything like that.

fatmad Your party sounds like fun. Hope you had a good time.

Rie So glad no one was hurt in the accident. Sounds like you had a stressful day. Hope you have a great day today.

aliasihaya I agree that this is truly a confusing disease. About the time I think I've got it under control, I don't seem to. My FBS always reads a little high (all over the place). It can be 150s one day and 110 the next. However, when I go for my 3 month checkup, it is normal. My doc who is very caring says the A1c is the most accuratge so doesn't seem to worried about my morning readings. I have checked it during the day and it is always good. I've read that what it reads later in the day is most important. I still work at it and have recently decided that losing weight would do more to bring it into control than anything else. So I've made the weight loss my main focus. You will learn that we each have to take control of our own situation and find what works for us. One size doesn't fit all. My doc told me that any diet will work and the key is finding a diet that you can live with. Good luck on your journey.

Bonnie, Lindyloo, Chipper and others reading:wave:

Y'all have a great Friday.

Riemontana
01-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Good Morning All!

fbs at 84 this morning. I was on plan with eating yesterday, maybe a little low. I am proud of that as I felt a little munchy but I resisted. I ate two hard boiled eggs with lunch salad and I think that really helped. It is a little chaotic here this morning so I will wait until dgs heads off to school before I work out.

Ruth, thanks for the clarifier on the party! :D I am with you on waking for potty and then not being able to get back to sleep. Today, I was able to drift back into sleep but most days my brain engages and I struggle. :( As for the dreams, I do better with valerian root for sleep. Melatonin never really worked well for me. Actually, on work days, I often take Ambien - I have been doing that for a long time. I know that there are consequences to sleeping pills but there are consequences to sleep deprivation. However, I usually just take the valerian on weekends.

Trish, good luck on your busy day. I am sure that you will enjoy your new hair. Like you, over the last few years I have shifted from the overly blonde and highlighted hair of my whole life. I am a blend of browns, red, and a few golden highlights. It covers my emerging grays nicely! :D

Mad, I hope you enjoyed the party last night. Did you have room in your points for a couple of party treats?

I am expecting a new shipment of wonderslim stuff today. I use the shakes to make low calorie heavy protein smoothies. I rely on the bars when I am playing in pool tournaments and have no access to healthy food. I can't seem to find anything local with the right blend of taste, low carb/calories and high protein. It is the only "frankenfood" that I eat.

Aliasihaya, this is a confusing disease. One of the struggles is that we each have to experiment to learn how our particular bodies react to different foods. For me, I didn't get good control of my bs, including mornings until I lost weight. I have been working at that for almost 18 months now. My weight loss has slowed a lot in the last few months, and I currently hope for a loss of one pound per month.:^: Of course, I do not consider myself to be on a "diet" and I intend to eat this way forever...... Keep posting and asking questions.

Bonnie, hoping you got the wii hooked up. You will be dancing and marching your way into good health soon!

Lindyloo, are you taking a trip next week because you need dog sitters? Fun!

Well, ds and gds are finally out the door. I am going to work out and then finish my breakfast. Later!

Rie

aliasihaya
01-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the welcome. Rough morning for me. My biggest challenge against weight loss are my depression issues. Today was an off day for me so I did a pseudo binge. But not a full on binge so at least I can say that I didn't give in fully to the cravings. But I am really hoping that losing some weight will help with getting my numbers under control. But fighting against so many physical problems makes it soo difficult which I'm sure you all understand. I was going to avoid logging my binge today since my nutritionist sees it, but then suddenly came to the conclusion to stop lying to myself and those around me. By not logging it, it becomes a lie. I need to lay it all out on the table for good or bad or I'm never going to get the help that I need. So epiphany day even while being depressed. That's a first for me.

Riemontana - You use valerian root? My sister recently told me about it and suggested that I use it for sleep. I had never heard about it. My issues center around what I call dreaming too hard. Having strong dreams so that I wake up exhausted as if I was awake all night. My sister thinks this will calm that. What is your experience with it? Do you think that it really helps? My other problem is waking up and then my mind starts racing so that I can't get back to sleep. But I don't think there's any magic pill for that.

pattygirl63 - Good for you about the color change. My hair color is the one thing that I feel like I can control on my body so I've dyed it for the last 15 years. My opinion is that hair is just another accessory. And it's always good to change up your accessories every now and then. I'm currently dark red after being blonde for 6 months. I've found as I've gotten older that I prefer the darker colors now instead of the light. Or maybe it's just a personality thing. :-)

fatmad
01-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Ruth: lower dose of melatonin (the liquid drops easier to lower dose) or 5 HTP instead? I find the herbal insomnia prep works well for middle of night stuff, although I am not as prone to that as I used to be.

Re the Canadian Party: some in costume, (we went as Bob and Doug McKenzie, for those who know this old comedy routine) there was also a superman, and a Frederick Banting. Everyone brought something fun, we played a Canadian trivia game, we had Martin recite the "I am Canadian" rant, (an alternative citizen ship oath, courtesy of Molson's the beer makers) and bestowed upon him a graduation robe (northern tartan) and a B EH, (as opposed to a BA) degree. ALl in good fun.
As usual I over indulged on the party food, inspite of eating a good supper before hand. Have been trying to figure myself out, will never be able to keep weight off until I can conquer this.
I appreciate being able to whine about that here. I do this over and over, and I don't seem to have found the way to keep this problem in check, but until I do, I will not have long term success. I may go late to Lilia's birthday party, and even leave early, and just go over and have some time with the baby during the week, to avoid the food temptations.

Trish: I hope DH will get a bit more active and get his health into control. You two are sure having issues this year. Hugs and prayers going your way.

A big hello to all.

fatmad
01-20-2012, 04:11 PM
by the way Ruth, I love your Icon, with "mon pay c'est l'hiver". And no, I didn't make any quebecois tasts tempting foods, which is good because I overindulged on the usual stuff, imagine if there was tarte sucre in the room? Diabetic coma.....

Riemontana
01-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Hello friends

In case you guys come back tonight, I want to comment and offer some support.

aliasihaya, yes, honesty with yourself and others is the first step to great progress. The only advice I can offer is to drink plenty of water and get back on plan as soon as you can. Don't do the "I will do better tomorrow, Monday, next week...." try to be on plan now. It happens, but progress is about how well you recover. :) Hang in there.

Mad :hug: I don't know what to say except I have given up on the plan to eat dinner before I go to an event effort. It doesn't seem to help me. I usually just try to have some low calorie protein and then accept that I am going to eat, drink and be merry. I hope this gets better for you. It sounds like such a great party.

Rie

fatmad
01-21-2012, 01:45 AM
Thanks Rie:I do better when I can get away from the food. Unfortunately, last night we were in a smaller house and there wasn't a good way to be away from it. I have to learn not to eat everything in sight. At home and work I put things away, and while this is a good technique, I still have trouble when food is in front of me.
When I was young I could eat anything and not gain weight, BUT, I don't think I was unable to stop eating. I think I ate a lot of stuff, but ate what I liked, and didn't eat stuff I didn't like much. I didn't have good eating habits, but not the uncontrolled eating I can do now. DOn't know quite how I got to this point, but will keep trying to figure out what to do to help this.
Thanks for the support. have a good night ladies.

fatmad
01-21-2012, 02:00 AM
Hi Aliasihaya

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Rough morning for me. My biggest challenge against weight loss are my depression issues. Today was an off day for me so I did a pseudo binge. But not a full on binge so at least I can say that I didn't give in fully to the cravings. But I am really hoping that losing some weight will help with getting my numbers under control. But fighting against so many physical problems makes it soo difficult which I'm sure you all understand. I was going to avoid logging my binge today since my nutritionist sees it, but then suddenly came to the conclusion to stop lying to myself and those around me. By not logging it, it becomes a lie. I need to lay it all out on the table for good or bad or I'm never going to get the help that I need. So epiphany day even while being depressed. That's a first for me.

This is great that you have realized this. :carrot: Its a breakthrough. There is a thread for bingers by the way. Denial is a problem for most overweight people, and getting past it gets you past a major hurdle to weight loss. Good for you for admitting it. Its hard, we know, but your honesty to yourself is great.

Riemontana - You use valerian root? My sister recently told me about it and suggested that I use it for sleep. I had never heard about it. My issues center around what I call dreaming too hard. Having strong dreams so that I wake up exhausted as if I was awake all night. My sister thinks this will calm that. What is your experience with it? Do you think that it really helps? My other problem is waking up and then my mind starts racing so that I can't get back to sleep. But I don't think there's any magic pill for that.

Valerian is a wonderful herb. It is the major ingredient in herbal remedies for anxiety and insomnia. I use it sometimes for the middle of the night waking as well. Melatonin is useful to help people sleep through longer. (Its available OTC in Canada, not sure about the US) 5 HTP is a form of tryptophan that helps people sleep too. These are all fairly safe remedies, no major side effects. They work to varying degrees for different people, so if you decide to try anything, make sure you can sleep after taking it. My husband finds that he has trouble waking up in the morning and needs 9-10 hours to sleep after taking any of the above remedies, but I find they just help me rest and can get up and go to work if needed.

Other OTC sleep aids are usually based on antihistamines that cause drowsiness. (Unisom uses bedectin, and gravol and benedryl are also used in some brands) They can have a stronger effect and may make it harder to wake up. Side effects like dry mouth are common, and so are nightmares for some people at some dosages. Another side effect is to have opposite effects at certain doses. A full gravol for instance, can make some people hyper active, yet they fall asleep if they just take 1/2 a tab, so finding the right dosage for you is important.

)

Wannabehealthy
01-21-2012, 08:49 AM
I haven't been here for a while, but now I have a puzzling question. My FBS runs around 120-127 normally and depending on what I eat, it may go as high as 140. I am going for a CT scan today so I am to hold my Metformin until 48 hours after the test. Last night I ate pizza. Not a lot, but pizza usually raises my FBS significantly and I didn't take the Metformin. This morning I tested and I was 108. I don't get it. I'm NEVER 108 unless I have gone a really long time without eating for some reason. Things like this are why I just don't understand diabetes.

Ruthxxx
01-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Mad, Your last post is a tad mixed up. I think you replies within the quotes. I checked my stash and I do have tincture of Valeriana! Any idea as to the amount for my first dose.

aliasihaya
01-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks fatmad! Great information. I think my sister wants me to use the valerian for help as a destresser. She mentioned using less than I would if I wanted to use it for insomnia. My doctor gave me some ativan to help me with that, but I'm hesitant to get reliant on a drug like that. Besides the fact that I tried one of them and didn't feel anything from it. Probably a dose issue. But regardless I'm not too fond of needing one more medication in my life.

I think this morning my blood sugar is getting back to normal after my pseudo binge yesterday. Yesterday it was up over 260. Now its back down to 140 my normal fbs. Now I have to figure out how to get back on track. That's going to be hard just because we got some snow last night (little compared to the more northern states), but I generally like to hole up in the house and not do anything. My normal behavior is to take that time to sit, eat, and watch tv. I need to figure out how to break that behavior. The good thing is that I don't have any junk food in the house so I don't really have anything to binge on. That's helpful. So we'll see how today goes.

Riemontana
01-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Hello friends.

fbs at a steady 81 this morning. I did low impact aerobics with my "friend" Gilad on a dvd. I have been exercising with him on the tv for ages:D. I added some hand weights to the toning section and WOW, I was sweating and mentally begging for it to be over.

This afternoon my ds, and some of his young friends who are fathers are bringing their young kids out to the farm to go sledding. We have some old sleds that we will pull behind my dad's large 4 wheeler. It should be fun.

Ruth, I buy valerian at the health food store in tablet form so I cant help with a a tincture dose. I don't get dreams from taking this although I do get them from benadryl. For me, the best thing about valerian is that I can take it if I wake at 1am and can't return to sleep. It seems to be out of my system in about 4 hours.

Mad, oh how I wish I had the metabolism of my youth!:cool: I was working on my family's farm, raising kids, going to school. I certainly wasn't thin but I was strong, fit and carried tons of lean muscle. I ate like the men that I worked with and enjoyed every bite. My lifestyle, and my sluggish metabolism, just doesn't support that kind of eating anymore. I have absolute faith that you will find your way.

Aliasihaya, I think you are correct to avoid the use of ativan unless you really need it. Follow your dr advice but that class of medications can be very seductive and easy to over-use. Remember, any movement is helpful. I used to sit with a soup can in my hand and do bicep curls while watching tv. Or, make yourself get up and march in place during comercials. You can do this if you start taking baby steps.

Carol Sue, This is such a confusing disease! I guess it is possible that the pizza fit in an overall balance of carbs and protein with fat that didn't cause you a spike. Or, maybe it caused a real high last night and your body had fought to bring back balance this morning. :?: Thinking good thoughts about you today.

Bonnie, Chipper, Lindy, :) Enjoy the day!

Rie

Butterfly50
01-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Rie no I havn't gotten the wii hooked up yet But I have been walking I walked two miles yesterday and a mile the day before. I am waiting to see if it is gonna rain today But I am getting it hooked up if I have to corner the hubby to do it for me. I have been eating better but I am getting the urge to go find something I dont need to eat. I weighed in yesturday and I am up 6 pounds not bad for the two months I havnt been able to exercise and be on plan. I will get back into it I have to go to the Doc next week for my yearly blood so I must be getting back into the working out..

Willing to hear encourgment from anyone I dont need to go check the cabinets to see what I can have we are still unpacking and storing stuff in the garage The last two days we have been working on the aunts fridge it froze up and leaking water all over the place . Thank god we have three of them here so we werent out nothing . Well I better be running My aunt is wanting to go to take some cloths to the cleaners and do some errands but I will be back.

Oh yeah besides the fridge going out the internet modem went out too.... Too many things happening at once....

fatmad
01-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Carol Sue; get a book about type 2 diabetes from the library, or check out the Blood sugar 101 website: and read about sugar dumping. Our liver stores glycogen, (we made glucose from it) and we dump it into our blood overnight. The metformin is supposed to help that, and it your fasting stays high, your doctor may recommend a higher dose over time. Keep taking it, and keep testing and recording it, so you and your doctor can make an informed decision about it. FOr lots of us, it gets better over time, especially if you can start lowering your overall carbs.

pattygirl63
01-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Been a busy week and week end. I am staying on plan, but forgot to take my Metformin last night. I took the Valerian Root last night when I went to bed. I set my clock for 8am to go to a church meeting and was surprised that I not only slept really well, but I actually woke up 30 minutes early ready to go.

Not a lot going on around here. I saw where DD was talking to a friend of hers on FB about them moving up here and all of them moving in together. He told her they were looking at property up here. There may be hope for peace in my home again in the future although I'm not getting my hopes up until it happens. DH says they'll expect me to babysit, but I told him that I'm not going to do it. I do have a life and plan to get back to it when they move. I had to give up my Wednesday morning Bible Study this year and I plan to go back next year.

I signed up this morning and payed my deposit to go to Charlotte in October to attend a women's church function. I wanted to go this past year and couldn't, but I decided that I am going this year. I am going to work toward getting a lot of this weight off to be healthy so I will be able to get around. This gives me a goal and something to work towards.

chipper15173
01-22-2012, 07:10 AM
quick wave as i pass by on my way to the gym this morning. DH likes to go on sundays. so saturday is now my day off. i liked sundays. today is the last day of a perfert week for me. it's been a looooonnnnggg time since i have had a perfect week. as in eating exercise will come back again. eating is the most important part. excited to see what the scale holds in the morning. i have taken peeks here and there and looks good. need to get breakfast so i can get going.
later

Ruthxxx
01-22-2012, 09:07 AM
4.4 but weight is up a bit - probably from the swelling of my knee which is somewhat better this morning. I was feeling sorry for myself yesterday and eating was not good. :( Today will be better although I am still going to take it easy with the knee. I'll have a high fibre shake for breakfast, some bean soup for lunch and plan to make a yummy tomato mushroom sauce to have on $hitaki noodles for dinner with a spinach salad.

Hang in there, chickies. We can control this thing.

fatmad
01-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Still learning about ww systems and trying to marry the low carb and ww. I have been indulging in a few more carby things, and I think thats a bit of a problem, although I am in points range. With the higher fat diet of atkins, which I am used to, I have to lower my fat intake with the extra carbs I am eating. ww doesn't count unsweetened fruit, but the extra cals with the fats seems to be a problem.
Today is my sweet Lilia's first birthday, and I will be going to a lovely birthday party, complete with east Indian buffet feast. I am making "cauliflower rice" to use there.
Realized suddenly that my holidays start tomorrow! DH and I have taken a cottage near a ski area, and I will be skiing and playing on the trails with the dog all week long. We will have internet, so will still be checking in.

CHipper, glad you had such a good week. Ruth, watch that knee. ANd Trish, here's hoping a new year will bring some good changes at home.

Riemontana
01-22-2012, 11:24 AM
Hello Friends. Happy Sunday!

fbs at 81 this morning. I am very frustrated with the scale but I am going to keep the faith and hope for a loss soon. I went sledding with the kids (pulling sleds behind our big 4 wheeler). It was so much fun. I am a little sore this morning but it was worth it. I don't feel too bad because my ds is also sore. I was teasing him that he is 20 years younger than me :devil: so he shouldn't complain. I did injure my tailbone in a fall and I can't sit unless I shift from side to side.

Ruth? What is wrong with your knee? Is that the injury from last summer? Take care of yourself?

Mad, isn't it interesting how different plans emphasize different foods? How is your hunger with the change from fat to more healthy carbs? I love that cauliflower rice recipe. Enjoy Lilia's birthday. And I can't wait to hear about the cottage and your adventures.

Trish, I am so glad that you registered for the women's event. It is so important that you do things for yourself. I hope that things get better for you in this new year. Hold fast to your determination to be a grandma in the future and not a babysitter/mom. It is the right thing to do for everyone.

Chipper, here's hoping for a good result for you on the scale!

Rie

Ruthxxx
01-23-2012, 07:59 AM
Rie, the knee is the other one. :( I had a total replacement in 2008 and the thing is giving me grief. No idea why as it just happened overnight. Tylenol3 and Aleve are my friends. It's almost back to sore normal this morning though.

BGL was 5.2 this morning - up a bit from usual although I had $hitaki noodles as my pasta last night. (Gotta love that censor that can't handle those noodles or pu$$ywillows!) I'm off to the gym this morning for gentle treadmill and upper body work. I don't want to get out of that good habit again.

Happy last full week of January.

pattygirl63
01-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Good Morning Everyone.

Just a quick hello this morning. Today is a day of house cleaning and laundry. My usual Monday with some other stuff thrown in that I need to do. I've let a lot of things I need to do for Tony and me go to take care everyone else. Changing that today. I'm in the process of taking charge of my life in a lot of ways other than just food. I can't stand my house the way it is so going to try to get some things organized.

Rie - I am taking my life back. I intend to find a calm time when I can have a talk with DD and let her know what I expect. Tony told me a few nights ago that my only responsiblity is supposed to be him. He has made it quite clear over the years that we couldn't take care of different ones in my family and I intend to make it clear that I feel the same way about things. I am 68 years old and I've babyset (had my on business for year) all I really want to. I retired because I am ready to enjoy what years I have left of my life. She had her tubes untied so she could have this baby so she and her DH need to take responsibility for him. Tony made it clear when they moved here that he is their responsibility when they are home and I have been enforcing that lately. I had to because I learned that if I would get him up and take care of him then she wouldn't do any of it. Very sad but if I give her an inch she will take a mile. I will say that on her DH days off, he takes care of him. I don't see him or the baby much when he is home. I really get a day off when he is home unless he has a migrane which has only happened once and he kept him until he just couldn't.

Ruthie - I hope your knee is better soon.

Bonnie, Chipper, Fatmad and everyone else:wave:

Guess I better get to that wash.

Y'all have a great Monday!

aliasihaya
01-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Good morning. My fbs was 140 this morning. Not great, but not as high as it usually is. As usual, after I see my morning reading, I fret over what my doctor is going to say when I go back in March. And then I get over it and hope that it'll be better tomorrow. I'm frustrated with myself as usual because I 'fell off the wagon' again on Saturday. I just get sooo bored on the weekend and have no motivation to do anything so I end up sitting around doing nothing. Watching tv mostly. And that leads to eating. So my nearly 10 pound weight loss is now back to nearly 8 pound weight loss. :-( I was soooo close to breaking 220. And now I've got a few more weeks again before that will happen. Anyway, I'm trying not to wallow in it, pick myself up, and get motivated for this week. But I definitely need to figure out something to do over the weekends or I'll always set back any weight that I lose during the week.

So that's my story for the day. Hope everyone has a good Monday.

chipper15173
01-23-2012, 11:51 AM
good morning....
i see everyone is going right along with life. trish..today is my cleaning and laundry day. i just finished it. went to the gym to start putting together a strength training workout for me. today i wrote down the amount of weigh i need to start at. now to put it all together. the scale was great this morning. down a few pounds i will take what i can get. washer is going, house clean, me clean, doggies sleeping. i think i might go watch some tv, have some lunch soon, and take a nap.
have a great day.

Riemontana
01-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Happy Monday!

fbs at 90 this morning and I am not sure why it is up a little. :?: Nothing in my diet yesterday or last night to bring it up. Oh well. I am happy that the scale finally moved a smidge and I am down another pound. Yay! :carrot: I did an hour of walkitout this morning and included about 10 minutes of stretching.

Ruth, I am sorry that the knee is giving you fits. The ortho guys here are really pushing me to get mine done. I would really like to come closer to goal weight and get even stronger before that happens. Hopefully!:^:

Trish, I am proud of you for finding a way to stand your ground. It is tough but it is better for everyone. My ds moved in here when his little one was almost 2. The little guy had issues and needed treatment and stability. Ds does ALL the housekeeping, marketing, etc to "earn" his rent. Now he is going to school and still does the majority of the work. :hug: Tony is right - at this stage in your lives you should only be taking care of each other. The most difficult thing for me, has been to LET him parent. Sometimes I would jump in ahead of him. I have really tried to train myself to let him be a parent his way. That is hard.

Aliasihaya, this is a journey, one step at a time. It sounds like you have identified a problem with weekends. Can you get the junk out of the house? I know, for me, it all starts with that morning workout. If I get that done, I am much less likely to eat badly or make other bad decisions. I watch tv much less than I used to.... it is important to break the habits. Another trick: I used to tell myself that I could only snack or eat after I had eaten something like 2 large cups of plain romaine lettuce. Filled me up and stopped the urge to snack or binge. Believe me, once you change your relationship with food, it is a very different life. Hang in there.

Chipper, good for you for mixing weight lifting in your routine. I am trying to get back to that because I would really like to just enjoy aerobics everyday. However, I believe in strength training.

Well, Bonnie, Lindy, Mad and others..... I will check back later.

Rie

Butterfly50
01-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Hey ladies been busy here. Had to take my daughter to the dr this morning she had a bad allergy attack this morning from some face cream. I also went to the Dr this morning and my FBS was 99 this morning and my A1C was 5.6 so was up three point from last time but thats all good. But she has kept me on all my meds . But I will be good. Got to run so will get back soon....

fatmad
01-24-2012, 12:40 AM
Hi everyone: I am on holiday but the owners of the cottage we are borrowing have left internet and their laptop for us. Which is good, since DH forgot to pack my laptop cord.
Ruth, Hope the knee straightens out, don't know why it would act up now, unless the coumadin is causing problems? if its not better or gets work, get thee to your doctor ok?
Trish, I think there is something to backing off and letting her parent in her way, even if you don't like how that is. You can still be a loving grandma to this little one, and still have some sanity.
Hello to everyone.
Didn't get skiing today, between packing, and appt this am, and the drive here, and the rain, it wasn't the day for skiing. We took the dog on a nice trail walk. We are not so close to skiing here as renting slopeside, but we can bring the dog and that is nice not to have to pay for kennelling, and she is happy here. Tomorrow should be colder, and snow coming, so here's hoping for some activity point.
Decided to embrace the whole ww thing. I am "smart carbing" and bs ok with that. Lots of veggies, my celeriac soup is just 1or 2 points a bowl, all from the olive oil I used to saute the veggies before they go in the broth. I am making pot roast tmw, and most of the veggies will be freebies too. It is hard to get away from the higher fat of atkins, but if it works, I will be happy.
Trish, I am not sure how you are marrying the atkins or low carb and ww. I found I was too hungry and was using up all my flex points and still hungry. I didn't worry about portion control too much on atkins. No I am measuring and weighing. I bought a new kitchen scale, my old one wasn't working well and wasn't digital, so this one is more accurate. Even if I go back to atkins later, learning portion control will be good.
I did well at the party yesterday, better than I was worried I would be, anyhow.
tata friends, and hope Tuesday is a good day for everyone.

Riemontana
01-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Good Morning!

fbs at 87 after a short and restless night. Whhooooosh goes the scale as I am down another pound this morning. This is my lowest weight in about 20 years.:carrot: I am in the middle of a busy week so the goal will be for measured eating and activity.

Bonnie, I hope your daughter recovers quickly. It is so nice to hear from you.

Chipper, how did it go at the gym?

Ruth, hoping the knee is continuing to improve.

Mad, I will enjoy hearing about your holiday. It sounds really lovely

Trish, is your dh starting to feel better? I hope so.

Alias, remember, progress, not perfection.

Must run. So much to do today. Take care.

Rie

pattygirl63
01-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Rie - CONGRATULATIONS on the 1 lb loss. I know it has been slow coming. That is where we have to be patient knowing that given time it will come off. Maybe just not as fast as we want, darn it.:)

Bonnie - Hope DD is feeling better today. Allergies are really difficult to deal with sometimes. Your BS really was good as you have been so busy.

Fatmad - I agree. I don't think DD is as attentive as she should be with her baby. I realize she is very busy studying etc, but she seems to not want to deal with him. This is why he was behind with his growth before they moved here, because no one played with him or worked with him. He was sort of put on the back burner. It was easier just to change him and poke a bottle in his mouth. Tony made it clear to them in the beginning that they were expected to take care of all their children when they were home. I have had to go along with him although I do spend quality time with the baby and he is such a smart little boy. Just needed someone to work with him. He feeds himself finger foods and we are working on using a spoon now. I do love watching a little one learn and grow.
As for the Atkins and WW, I didn't do it very well because of the fat content. I'm sort of embracing Intuitive Eating with WW. I'm trying to learn to recognize when I'm hungry and eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm satisfied and not eat on a schedule or by the clock. I think WW used to have a plan similar to this which I think they called Core. Some of us combined Flex and Core and I think they called it Flore. I guess you would say that is kind of what I'm doing now. I love being able to have most veggies and fruits as freebies. There are so many to choose from and I too love to make soups with them. and I also love salads made with the freebies so that I only have to count the dressing or oil in it. The nice thing about soups and salads is they are more like volumetrics woe and they make you feel full because of the fiber in them. I'm finding that I am averaging about 35 pts a day give or take a few which actually uses up the weekly pts as well as any activity pts I may have although I don't really count activity pts. I just enjoy being able to eat what I want and I'm finding that I really want what is good for me and since I'm satisfied I don't get hungry as often.

Ruthie - Hope your knee is feeling better today.

Chipper - CONGRATS on being down a few lbs.

Aliasihaya - Don't be too hard on yourself. It takes time to get things together with this disease and find the way that we can make a lifestyle we can live with. I think I have to learn how to eat for me to be healthy and get this disease under control. I know from past experience that I can get down to a weight to where diabetes is no longer a part of my life, but I also realize that I have to see it from a different perspective. If I had done that before I would not be struggling with it again. I have to learn how to eat and make it a normal way of life for me eat to live healthy and not to ever think it as a "diet". I got my diabetes under control twice in my life, but when the numbers either became normal or improved, I went back to eating the way I did that brought it on. For me a "diet" is something you do to reach a goal and then you go back to eating the way you did before. Reach goal and "dieting" is over. So I can't think of my way of controling diabetes as a "diet". I think the only way I will ever succeed at getting it back under control is to just eat healthy and think of it as a "lifestyle". At least that is what I hope will work for me. I can follow a plan like WW, but I just can't think of it as being on a diet any more. Just me.

Guess I better go feed this little boy. I'm not hungry, but I'm sure he is. Didn't intend to make this so long.

Have a good day.

fatmad
01-24-2012, 11:59 AM
fbs 5.3 this am, and that included a few more carbs than usual for me yesterday. So I am doing ok with "smart carbs" and limiting the grains, but having more starches. I am bringing down the fat in my diet, but it goes hard. Making my morning omelet, I used less butter and oil, but didn't even think of cooking spray!
I agree Trish, I made a great soup last night, it will be about 1 point per bowl, all from the oil I used. It is celeriac and celery, so will be nice and filling, and no points. Plan to have it with a toasted cheese sandwich on sprouted grain bread for lunch. That will be my one grain for the day.
Rie: I am thrilled for you to be at a new low weight. You have accomplished so much.
Getting ready for a bit of cross country now, get those activity points in!

pattygirl63
01-24-2012, 01:37 PM
I have started keeping a journal of what I eat and how it makes me feel. Started yesterday when I had a cup of coffee and had cloudy thinking. I decided to check my bs and it was 40 pts higher than my fbs. I had started using FF half and half and switched back to splenda. Today I had it with just the Splenda and it was up 35 pts. So tomorrow I will try it plain.

Today I ate a sl of cheese toast and a sl of toast with peanut butter (use double fiber bread) and I didn't check the bs, but it didn't stay with me very long. Ended up eating a few blackberries and strawberries to stop the hunger pangs.

Any way, I thought that was interesting about the Splenda because I thought it was not supposed to raise the bs. However, I have learned that just because one diabetic can handle something does not mean that all of us can. I just thought this might be helpful if someone else finds they can't handle something they are told they can have. Even my doctor was surprised when he saw the numbers I showed him of how high regular oatmeal makes my bs go.

Riemontana
01-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Trish

Your reaction to the splenda is really interesting. I didn't realize that something without carbs or calories could raise bs. I know that each of us reacts differently to different foods.

For me, a good example is bread. No matter the type of bread, it seems to raise my bs. However, I seem to be able to eat baked potatoes or sweet potatoes with impunity. It is all interesting.

The other thing that often raises my bs is fasting too long. Does that ever cause problems for anyone else?

Later.

Rie

pattygirl63
01-25-2012, 12:00 AM
Trish
The other thing that often raises my bs is fasting too long. Does that ever cause problems for anyone else?
Later.Rie

You know I had gone without breakfast because I wasn't hungry. I have to wonder if the mini-fast could cause my bs to be raised as well. I have to go for a fasting blood work in the morning at 8 am. I think I will check it before I leave and the I will see how I feel when I get home and check the bs again. Glad you mentioned that. I've never checked to see if I could eat a baked potato just assumed that I couldn't. I might buy a potato to bake and see how I react to it. I just think it is wise to test after some foods and drinks to see how it affects me. Thanks Rie for sharing.

fatmad
01-25-2012, 06:18 AM
Rie and Trish: caffeine by itself raises blood sugar, and splenda does have 1 carb per packet to provide "filler". We all respond differently. I am hoping I will be able to handle some oatmeal. Prefer the steel cut, and for most, the slower the oatmeal cooks the better for our sugars, but it doesn't seem to hold me much either. I always cook it with milk or soymilk to increase the protein, but that doesn't seem to help.
Also have trouble with bread, with spikes worst from white, then whole wheat then a bit lower with sprouted grain breads, but still high. I am surprised trish that with cheese and peanut butter, which have fat and protein, that it wouldn't hold you better. Wonder if a glass of milk with the meal would have made it last better than tea or coffee.
Stayed within points yesterday, so made it through my first week of ww. I think I was within points, and I was honest about what I ate at the 2 parties, but may have miscalculated points. I have a few flex points left over, so hope that covers anything I may have missed.
Suffering that early insomnia again, after a day with a 90 minute ski and a 20 minute walk for the dog.
hoping to get back to bed soon.
hope everyone has a good wednesday.

Riemontana
01-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Good Morning!

fbs at 74 this morning. I joined mad in the "early morning wake up game" :p Lower bs is a puzzle since I had very low calories yesterday and added a small serving of fiber one in the evening.

Mad, the info about splenda and caffeine is interesting. I have a pretty serious coffee habit so I am glad that it doesn't seem to move me. I also drink it black. Congrats on your first week of WW! I hope you continue to enjoy the holiday.

I wonder if it would be good to share some of our meal ideas here again? Or look at menus? I tend to eat the same pattern of foods daily so here is my menu from yesterday:

BF: 1/2c fiber one cereal with a sprinkle of flax and 1/2c unsweetened almond breeze, one med. apple with 2 tbs PB2 (powdered, de-fatted peanut butter)

Lunch: 2+ cups of romaine lettuce salad with a scant serving of light ranch. (I dilute it a little and it dresses the salad more easily with a small amount), 2 large strawberries. Sometimes I add a little lean meat or protein to lunch but wasn't hungry yesterday.

Supper: steamed cod fillet with cajun season, steamed broccoli, english cucumber spears, 1/2c polenta

Evening: whole flax seed, ground flax seed in 1/2 almond milk, dannon light and fit vanilla yogurt with a sprinkle of sf choc pudding stirred in. And last night - 1/2c fiber one

1042 calories, fat 38g, 154 carbs, 61 protein, 61g fiber, 72 oz water

The interesting thing to me is that my bs doesn't seem to react to the increased carbs in this plan. Perhaps it is because there is so much fiber? :?: Anyway, I would be interested in seeing what you all are eating/like to eat.

Bonnie, I hope things are going well for you.

Alias, how was your day yesterday?

Ruth, I hope the knee is good and that you are having a good week.

Later.... Off to work.

Rie

pattygirl63
01-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Well, I'm back from getting blood drawn. Couldn't get it out of my arm so had to get it from my hand and still didn't want to flow. I think it was mostly because I was so cold. Although they had to get it out of my hand last time. I've stopped taking aspirin because it makes me bruise (same reaction my grandmother had with it). I need to find the baby aspirin and see how my body handles that. I took FBS before I left for blood work and took it again when I returned and it was 18 pts lower when I got back. Trying a plain c of coffee. I seem to handle caffiene in green tea so hope I can handle my 1 c coffee in the morning. If I can't, I will go to green tea in the morning. I have no problem drinking the green tea w/o sweetner.

Fatmad - I forgot that Splenda has a filler. I was using Stevia, but I stopped and went back to Splenda because I thought the Stevia was upsetting my stomach. However, that was when I was doing the lc the Dukan way with FF/LF stuff. So it might have been the FF/LF woe rather than the Stevia. I never had problem with the Stevia. May go back to it, but want to see if the caffiene in the coffee causes a problem. I've heard that diabetics needs a little caffiene, but if my body says "no", I'll have no problem going to the green tea for the caffiene and switching my coffee to decaf. I do eat bread on the WW, but I use the Double Fiber bread by Nature's Own. I seem to handle it pretty well. Thanks for the suggestion of milk with the cheese/peanut butter toast as I sure do like both and so does little Jaxxon. It is our favorite breakfast. I didn't know about cooking the oatmeal slow. I always nuke mine. However, I do like the steel cut. I have found a brand here in one of my SC stores that is quick cooking in microwave and doesn't spike my blood sugar. I always love eating oats because my Mother's family had high cholesterol and she ate it to control hers.

I decided this morning when the tech had trouble getting my blood that I've got to get serious about exercise even if I have to join the YMCA. It just has to be done and that is it. I've been dropping little hints to DH that he is going to have to take control of his own health. Last night he started about some things he wants to do to make some changes. So I'm going to work at getting myself ready to work with him.

Got to feed the little one. Talking about oats has made me hungry for some so going to go make the kid and me some.

Ruthie, Rie, Bonnie, Chipper and anyone else I missed:wave:

Have a great day Everybody!!!

Ruthxxx
01-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Late check in - weight down a single pound but ticker still a big fat liar. Well, a two pound liar! BGL was 5.0 which is fine. Interesting about coffee raising your BGL.

Just back from the gym where I did do some more leg exercises. The knee is still a tad sore but my PT wants me to ice it a bit off and on today. It's not swollen but I never thought of icing it just for inflammation.

Patty Darling, yes! DO get serious about exercise. After being a complete slug for over 70 years, I just started doing it and it has made a tremendous difference in my life. Three mornings a week at the gym work just fine for me and I always feel great after I've done it. I don't really think it's the endorphins - I think I'm just darned glad I did it! Yo deserve it. :love:

pattygirl63
01-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Ruthie - Glad the scale decided to be nice to you today even if it is one lb. Thanks for the encouraging word about the exercise. I really am going to get to work on it.

Rie - I tested after the black coffee and it only raised the bs 3 pts :carrot: so I get to keep it.

Had the steel cut oats with blackberries and plain yogurt with a little bit of Stevia. Get to keep the Stevia too.:carrot: Checked bs and up only 10 pts 2 and 1/2 hrs later and I've had green tea and 2 chewable vitamin c during that time. So that is really good to know. I'm going to get me some extra stips today so I can check more often like I did a year and a half ago.

fatmad
01-25-2012, 10:47 PM
trish, I usually take blood from the "difficult" people and am the midwife in the practice who starts iv on "difficult" people too. Since I used to be a NICU nurse, and started IVs on babies, I can deal with very small veins. Let me share what I do for people, and maybe it will help you. I always ask which are is best, (most tables are set up for one arm only and techs are bad about switching) you should insist on them using the arm you want. I put a hot blanket or towel on the arm and leave it for 5 minutes or so. Take a hot water bottle to the lab or doctors office with you. again, insist on waiting until you are "warmed up" before allowing the blood draw. I also have small butterfly needles for taking blood from the hand when I need too, they are less painful than the ones we use for the arms. This said, last Saturday, I was helping at a genetics clinic and there was one Dad I couldn't get blood from, no way no how. After 3 tries we all agreed to try a buccal (cheek) swab from the poor guy. He was a good sport and said his wife gets all kinds of needles during pregnancies and he couldn't complain. None of the other vampires, I mean, blood drawers, at the clinic could get blood from him either. I always have the midwives at my clinic draw my blood, I have had too many painful blood draws from some techs, and while others are good, I have never had a problem from me greenest student.

Ok, enough about my rant. I am having a nice holiday, and had another great ski this afternoon. SO we went out for supper tonight, we go to this seafood place every year when we are here. I decided to have a little splurge, and have been trying to figure out how to count the points. As I am sure you all know, ww allows you to eat anything as long as you count it. I had a glass of wine, a salad, scallops in mushroom cream sauce, and for dessert I had a slice of flourless chocolate cake, (shared that with DH) . I figured it out to about 19 points. I am trying to be really honest, and the points are helping me to figure out how to ration my food out.
SO far, ww is ok. I finished the week out last night, with 6 extra flex points unused. (the new system is not the same as the old one, and I think they are now plus points actually, don't want to confuse folks. )

No scale here, so don't know how I am doing. This would be weigh in day, but am not at home to do that. So next week will have to do.

Planning for another good ski in the morning, and more snow is coming.

best wishes to everyone.

chipper15173
01-26-2012, 08:37 AM
good morning...

well joined weight watchers last night. DD came by after her gym visit and asked me to join with her. so i guess it's time for a change. i joined when they changed the program last year. didn't last long again. see how long this time.

need to go eat breakfast. just not hungry this morning.

pattygirl63
01-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

Fatmad - Thanks for the advise. I will keep that in mind for next time I go get blood work.

Got up this morning and did some exercises first thing. Will do more throughout the day. Mainly want to do a lot of leg exercises to get my legs stronger. I couldn't do them very well when I was on the Fenofibrite (not sure I spelled that correctly). Any way when I read how it can effect the legs I stopped taking it. I got to where I could not do leg squats at all, but did them this morning holding on to the cabinet in case I had a difficult time coming up and no leg aches. So the medicine evidently was the problem. This means that I can go back to doing L. Sansone's 1 mile dvd walk. My FBS was back down to 126 this morning. And strange thing is that I had the shakes. Not sure what that is about except that it still swings high and low. I was surprised it was down like that because we ate at Arby's yesterday. I was careful and didn't eat all of my food. Since I'm learning to listen for the signals from my body that says "I don't want any more" I stopped when I realized that I was starting to feel full. I ate only when hungry or when I thought I was hungry and I ate what I wanted to eat.

I talked to DD last night about how she eats. She is normal weight and never seems to think about food. I asked her if she eats on a schedule or if she eats only when she is hungry. She said a lot of times by the time she eats that she is starving and then she just looks to see what she has that she might want to eat. Many times she just gets her mind on something else and doesn't eat. That is the way I ate when I was growing up. I never thought about food. I ate only because it was time to eat and Mama made me come in and eat. When on a coke date our would go out to eat, I never ate all my food or didn't even order anything except a cold drink or maybe I would have fries with it. Never ate sweets because Mama was a sweet eater and it was readily available and I didn't have her sweet tooth. LOL What in the world happened? I started gaining weight when I stopped eating normal for me and started eating "normal" according to everyone else... 3 meals and snacks. Social eating which became fun time became my down fall. As I write this I think about when I started smoking years ago. It was the same way. I had a sister-in-law who smoked. (Neither of us smoke today thank God.) But I would visit with her and I would have a cigarette with her until finally one day I was a smoker. Never associated overeating being a social habit like smoking. Bad habits become a norm because we practice it. Is it possible that we could practice good habits and make that the norm? Just an interesting thought. Sorry, guess I'm just thinking out loud here.:dizzy::?:

Y'all all have a great Thursday.

pattygirl63
01-26-2012, 09:08 AM
good morning...

well joined weight watchers last night. DD came by after her gym visit and asked me to join with her. so i guess it's time for a change. i joined when they changed the program last year. didn't last long again. see how long this time.

need to go eat breakfast. just not hungry this morning.

Hi Chipper, I guess we were writing at the same time. I tried WW last year and it didn't work for me. Then I decided to try it again about the time they made changes this year. But I didn't make the changes, not even sure of all of them. I just started using the materials I bought last year and it clicked for me. Hope it does for you too. There are certain fruits like berries that are easier on our blood sugar. I love strawberries and blueberries in my oats or just put them in yogurt with a few nuts. I like pecans. I used to eat walnuts but don't like them any more for some reason. I love taking the freebie veggies and either make a homemade soup with them and of course they make a good salad and the only pts you have to count is the dressing you put in them and any meat I put in them if I want a chef salad. One thing I noticed that Rie said she does with her dressing is that she dilutes it. That will cut down on the pts too. In fact, I plan to start doing that and use my apple cider vinegar to dilute it. the ACV is good for lowering BS so I will get a double whammy there. Enjoy the dressing with less pts. I really think that WW is a good plan now because you use it with any way you want to eat whether low calorie or lowcarb although you have to be careful with the fats as they use a lot of pts. What I do there is use lowfat or ff where I can and I'm picky about the fats I really want to use. Like I said I like the fact that WW will work with any plan all you have to do is count the pts. I like that for portion control. I use with Intuitive Eating just to see how many pts I am eating. Also while I'm trying to get better control of the diabetes as I test to see how certain foods affect my bs. Good luck with it!

Ruthxxx
01-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Thinking out loud is sometimes good, Patty. You've given me some things to think about.

Fatmad, I'd love you to draw my blood. At the Clinic there is one nurse who does it perfectly - years more experience - and two who are terrible. If I get one of them, I give them one try and then ask for Jane.

Strange but FBGL is running a tad high for me this morning at 5.6 (100.8). I think it's from the lingering soreness in my mysterious knee because food was spot on yesterday. :shrug: Dinner was perhaps a tad salty because I really seasoned the roasted Brussels with garlic salt. (That stuff gets away from me sometimes.) Weight is down a smidge but more to go to get back into the 170s. Fluid retention in the knee may be that problem.

Today's challenge? Lunch with my sister and a long catching up chat. I've not seen her since summer for various reasons and we need to update. I really love my sister but we have totally different lifestyles. "sisters are like two different flowers from the same garden." We are going to a local "upscale" restaurant where the choices should be good. Supper tonight will be omelet and salad to keep the day light.

Hope your Thursdays go well.

fatmad
01-26-2012, 10:24 AM
HI gang: I think the difference in the "new" ww program, we get fewer points for the day overall, but most unsweetened fruit and veggies are 0 points. I personally think that bananas and carby veggies should at least have 1 point. (like potatoes have some, but not turnip) In any case, whether you use the older point system or the new I think the point is to have lots of veggies and fruit everyday, with added condiments (like dressing) minimized and made healthy. Like an olive oil and vinegar dressing give you a healthier fat. My homemade mayo in 100 olive oil, so while it is fatty, its a healthy fat.
Hope those who are starting ww like it. If you get the option for going online, let me know what you think of the plan manager, esp if you used daily plate or other online tracker before.
happy thursday, off to ski!

Riemontana
01-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Good morning friends!

fbs at 74 this morning despite the fact that I didn't sleep much. Tonight I have a business gathering at a local bistro. I am controlling calories all day and I intend to simply enjoy the evening and try not to over eat. I also have a family dinner at a local steak house on saturday and I intend to enjoy a juicy steak and just control the carbs. Life happens, right?

Mad, I loved your "rant" about blood draws. If they find the vein on the first try, my veins often collapse with the tubes attached. At my current dr, the lab techs use the little butterfly needles and small tubing and that works really well.

Trish, my personal theory is that years of over eating caused me to lose track of hunger and satiety signals. These days I feel more comfortable with my body's signals but I am not totally confident. You are figuring things out for you. Great news that you can still enjoy your morning coffee.

Ruth, I loved your quote about sisters! I hope you enjoy the day and that the knee settles back down.

Chipper, perhaps it will be fun and helpful to have a diet partner with your dd?

Well, I am off to face the day. I will check back later to see about anyone that I missed.

Rie

fatmad
01-26-2012, 08:31 PM
just a fly by check in, had a great ski, but by the time we got home, I was ravenous. Good thing we had supper planned, or I would have pigged out on granola bars. They are still calling me, so I will have another bowl of salad and see about a snack, or some berries and yogurt for dessert.
SO yes, planning is still a big thing! am racking up the activity points anyhow!

chipper15173
01-27-2012, 09:14 AM
morning...
rainy day here today. so already have housework done, laundry started and now to get some desk work done, and read today. have my werq and zumba classes tonight. 2 hours of dancing exercise. reminds me of richard simmons dancing to the oldies...boy i am old. i loved those videos. still have them.
have a great day

Ruthxxx
01-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Ice here today. BLL was good and the weight is slowly inching down.

No big lunch challenge yesterday as my sister decided to just come for coffee. She and her DH were at the Farm hoping to ski - they should have listened to me about the snow conditions - 6" topped with solid ice! My BIL commented on how I looked great and then realized I'd lost weight. A nice NSV. .

Made pea soup yesterday which will be just perfect for lunch on this housebound day. I used a smoked ham hock which was not at all salty. I guess they don't salt-cure the smoked hocks, just the actual hams. I'll definitely do that again- maybe bean soup next time. By the way, pea soup is great with a couple of good big handfuls of chopped spinach thrown in.

Since I'm iced in, I won't be venturing out to the gym today but I WILL do treadmill. The knee is still somewhat sore but it's not going to win this battle!!!

fatmad
01-27-2012, 10:50 AM
way to go Ruth! FBS 5.3 this am. I don't know if I mentioned I am not sure of my meter on low numbers, since I did it once at work when the lab value was a low of 3.1! and my meter registered over 5. SO i am not gonna get worked up by the number itself, but that it is steadily in the low 5s and not changing up and down, so I think I will be happy with the numbers.
Last day for skiing, DH hurt his arm a couple of weeks ago, and could only take a day of skiing and has been sitting out since. So we are going home a day early.
have a good day everyone.

Riemontana
01-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Hello Friends!

fbs at 87 this morning. I did well at the board retreat last night. Halibut, a little potato, soup. I left a little of everything behind. There was a lovely tasting menu for desert and I enjoyed the perfect two bites of dark choc mousse.

Ruth, good for you in the NSV. Sometimes it is easy to get discouraged, thinking that we are not making progress. In the midst of our daily ups and downs, we are trending in the right direction. :carrot:

Mad, sorry that your holiday is ending a day short but I have enjoyed the fact that you have been out skiing. Hopefully it will work out for the best as you will have an extra day to get ready for the regular routine.

Wow, Chipper, you are getting an early start on everything. Enjoy your classes. I still haven't found the courage for a zumba video - even though it looks like fun. I have those old videos too! In fact, one of the videos I use is an old compilation that I did myself of Gilad and his sister doing the old "bodies in motion" and "basic training workouts". I made it 20 years ago and I still love to do it sometimes. Yup, I am old. LOL

Well, to Bonnie, Trish, and others..... Have a great day and I will check back later.

Rie

pattygirl63
01-27-2012, 02:21 PM
DD was off today so I got up put my laundry in to wash and then went to Wal-mart. Bought some fruit and a few other things. Had to go get an Anniversary card for DH. We've been married 9 years today. We are supposed to go out to eat at Ryan's if he feels like later. Will see. My blood sugar was a little high today, but then I remembered that I had just taken a baby aspirin that is chewable and sweet tasting. I can't take adult aspirin so I've started taking baby ones. I usually take it at night and decided I would take one in the morning too. However I forgot and took it before testing. So not sure what this morning's FBS was.

Ruthie How nice for your BIL to notice how good you looked and your weight loss. A great NSV. The soup sounds really good.

Fatmad So sorry about DH hurting his arm and you having to cut your vacation short. I was thinking yesterday about you getting all that "fun" exercise in that you enjoy. Hope he heals quickly.

Rie You did a really great job with the meal at the meeting last night.

Chipper I loved those oldies tapes too especially the Sweetin to the Oldies. I got that one of dvd. I still have it just don't have room to do it any more since my exercise area became our office when the kids moved in. I miss my exercising and have got to figure out how to make room somewhere in this hourse to do them again. That dvd was a great exhausting 30 minute work out.

Bonnie I hope you are having a great day.

Hope everyone has a great Friday!!!

Butterfly50
01-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Hi Ladies Been busy here the girls finally got their Ipod touchs with camera that we promised them finally yesterday they are so excited. I got my daughters old one . The first app i downloaded was the my fitness pal. I jest have to find time to get to working out I walk here and their but his aunt like to stay in the roads we all ways have something to do so I am very busy.

Been good her FBS is staying low . My Uncle is freaking out cause his dr said his sugar was elevated and I asked him what it was and it was only 109 . He goes back to the dr Monday so I gave him some pointers on what to stay away from and stuff.

Other then that not alot going on here I have jest been busy so I will get back as soon as I can.

Riemontana
01-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Hello Friends!

Just a quick stop here....

fbs at 83 this morning. I am tired as I was out with friends til the wee hours and then couldn't sleep this morning. There is a pool tourney. I am not playing but hanging out. This morning I am going to indulge in a coffee with a little baileys :o

I will check in later today. Nice to hear from you, Bonnie!

Rie

pattygirl63
01-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Just a quick flyby. Went to beauty shop this morning and she lightened my hair since she didn't like the way it turned out last week. She knows DH likes blonde and she is used to it being lighter so I am now more of a strawberry blonde.

I joined WW online yesterday. I am going to enjoy the etools. I made a homemade vegetable soup and put the recipe into the recipe builder and it turned out to be about 2 pts a serving. May be even less as I showed it being 8 servings and I think I am going to get more servings out of it. Still eat only when hungry, but I want to know more about the foods I eat and how much. Also how healthy.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Ruthxxx
01-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Holding the line. The ice storm took out our electricity for most of the day yesterday and I had a ton of catching up to do this morning. No light in the bathroom this morning (or water) but power came on around 8 a.m. so was able toe at a proper breakfast. I seem to have forgotten lunch though so will get cracking on supper very shortly. It's been a strange day.

fatmad
01-28-2012, 09:10 PM
wow Ruth, the storm didn't even make the news! Glad you have power again though.
We changed our plans, and came to Niagara this weekend. An uncle had an 80th birthday party. (Uncle J, and it was very fun) So, I managed by watching my other uncle.,Uncle G, used to be a very large overweight man, for as long as I remember. He finally lost weight for a heart operation, using south beach, and has kept it off for the most part. He says he has no "off switch" which is also my problem. He has said before, (at our family picnics) he is better not to start eating, as he can't stop. So he wasn't snacking at this party. There were trays and trays of goodies. I was in agony, but determined not to start. I had a couple of cubes of cheese, and walked away. It got better over time. So I managed to avoid all the sweets. I didn't eat the sandwiches either, as they all seemed to have mayo, and that is now an allergy. (virtually all mayo has lemon juice).
Made soup and sandwiches at Dad's house for supper. Will check pc sugar in a bit, I am a bit worried today, as few veggies and too many carbs.
So my fav ww gadget is the points calculator. The new points system is a bit complex, and the calculator takes the carbs, fat, fibre and protein and spits out a points value. I took it to the supermarket this afternoon and comparison shopped. Chose the bread this way, and picked up a granola bar to try for a snack/dessert. The ones DH chooses are 5 points, the ones I chose were just 3. Will keep the little calculator in my purse for these occasions.
Not much exercise today, but walking tomorrow. All together, pretty happy with myself to have avoided the treats that I didn't need. I WILL be slimmer by JUNE!

pattygirl63
01-28-2012, 10:12 PM
I found a thread group on the WW online who are doing WW with Intuitive Eating. Although they do say we should use most of our basic points everyday, I noticed that some of them can't use all their points because they aren't hungry. I had this problem today. However, I did make myself eat all but 1 pt. I had only 25 pts instead of the 26. I just spread it out over the day.

Fatmad - You did a good job at the party. You know I remember my Daddy telling me that when he was younger that it was easier for him not to even start eating because once he started eating he couldn't stop. I have had that problem in the past myself. Even now I try to save pts for the evening because I am a night time grazer. I don't know why, but I am. I hope that I can change that eventually.

Ruthie - So glad you got your electricity turned back on. Do you have heat when the electricity is off?

Rie - Hope you had fun at the pool function.

Bonnie - Good to hear from you.

Chipper and others reading.:wave:

Ruthxxx
01-29-2012, 08:03 AM
:lol: at Mad. It sure made the news around here although it seems there were only 443 homes affected. I don't imagine Eastern Ontario is reported much down there in the banana belt. Ottawa was bad but they had power. The Canal is closed which is a shame because the city is full of visitors for the NHL All-Star weekend.

Patty, no heat or water when the electricity is off. I have an electric pump and an oil furnace that need power to run. I do have a propane stove in my back room (formerly the summer kitchen) but that does not heat the whole house.

(By the way, my slightly higher reading of 5.6 the other morning was NOT from salt. I realized I had munched my way through a lot of dried banana slices. I don't even like bananas but the ones I make myself are very yummy. I make them for dog treats.)

Weight is slow to disappear these days. I need to start using Fitday more often as I may be eating too many carbs. I was thinking pasta last night but ended up eating veal stew from the freezer stash. I won't freeze that again as it was absolutely tasteless. Tonight will be a challenge as we "girls" are doing our monthly "family" dinner and I am to bring a potato recipe to go with Karen's roast pork. I am making Kugelis, a Lithuanian potato dish with bacon and cream - it's absolutely yummy but I'll avoid it.

On with the day after a spinach & strawberry smoothie! Then I'll get the potato dish organized before Church because I have a 1 PM meeting according to my Timely Reminder thingie. (Sometimes I hate that thing!)

chipper15173
01-29-2012, 03:18 PM
morning...
DH and i are staying in jammies today. we cleaned out his part of the closet, the dresser, went through the kitchen and freezer, made grocery list and enjoyed a movie. nice day but, productive.
bonnie...i am on myfitnesspal same usename as here.
fatmad....there is an app for android called ww scancal and it works great for most products. went through walmart yesterday using it to find cheap snacks. picked up most bar codes. that's all it does is scan bar codes. than i use w w calc for a points calculator. i don't like dragging mine everywhere. i find it easier sometimes.
well, off to play on computer some more. DH is napping.
enjoy your sunday.

pattygirl63
01-29-2012, 04:34 PM
It was so cold I wanted to stay in bed, but talked myself into getting up and going to church. DH couldn't sleep so he went with me. Just the 2 of us and the 2 DGD. Came home and the DD and her hubby took all the kids and left for a while. I think they finally got it. I had to tell the kids several times the last 2 days to turn off lights when the leave a room and they still don't do it. Oldest DGS smarted off about how they hear this every month. I finally told him, "We told your Mother when we agreed to this that we couldn't pay more than what we paid before you came here to live. Now I don't have enough money to pay all the bills this month when they come in". We got home and she had written a little note in a card that she wanted to give us something for our anniversary and she knew that this was stressing us out and how she didn't expect some of the things that happened with their situation naming them and there was a check in it for $25. Of course she has to know we won't cash it or I don't think DH will. I got up this morning and found water on the floor in the laundry room so not sure if my washer has gone out or there is a leak somewhere. Can't buy another one right now with all the hospital/doctor bills coming in. It will work out but they do need to remember what we have been trying to tell them even before they moved here.

DH and I have been watching tv and just enjoying the quiet. We don't get that much. I thought we were starting a new series at our small groups at church and I had planned to go, but it starts next week so I have one more Sunday night of do nothing and I plan to enjoy it.

Eating has been good. Staying OP. Today is my actual WI day on WW and I'm down 2.5 lbs since Friday but still not back down enough to make ticker truthful. I eat a lot of veggies which I love.

Fatmad, Chipper, Bonnie, Rie and Ruthie and everyone else Have a great Sunday.

Ruthxxx
01-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Good morning. Weight down another smidge to 180.4 but still not back into the 170s. BGL good at 4.6 though, amazing after a big meal of stuffed roast pork, potatoes and a lemon square last night at "girls'" family dinner. (Four of us "singles" get together monthly with their kids for a traditional Sunday night dinner.)

Knees are too sore for gym this morning so I've opted out. I may do a bit of gentle treadmill. I'd love to get back to walking but there is still ice all over everything out there.

I'm not on WW but am evaluating my meals lately and know I need more veggies. Salads just don't tempt me in winter but I do enjoy roasted veggies. I found some Brussels sprouts in the local store once again and will plan my meal around them.

Patty, sound like you and your DH are reclaiming your lives. Stick to it!

pattygirl63
01-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Good Morning Chickies,

Hope everyone is staying warm and dry. It is going to warm up a little each day here and then start going back down and rain this week end. Up rather early this morning and already got my exercise done this morning. Had a few bites of watermelon and will make either egg omlet or oatmeal in a few minutes. Haven't really decided which I want yet. DSIL is working all week and that will be good. I will have to get up each morning by 6:15 and I can get my exercises in each day which is hard to do when everyone is around.

Ruthie - Sorry about the knees. You think the cold weather has much to do with it? I have had my right knee acting up last few morning. I am hoping the exercise will help. I know it always helps my hip joints when I exercise. After a few days of exercise they seem to settle down. You would think that would get me off my duff and exercise doesn't it? And these are the "golden" years? LOL Although I do eat salads during this time of the year, I don't eat them as much, however, I am really enjoying eating homemade soups.

Got my wash done and last load in the dryer. I hate folding clothes, but on WW housework counts for Activity pts so that is enough to motivate me although I don't use my Activity pts. I just like to have them for any error in counting pts. Also don't use the Weekly Pts much either just like to know they are there for special occasions. My washer is leaking and not sure what is causing that. Not leaking a whole lot so I'm thinking a hose could be loose or gone bad. Hope it is something simple. DD said this morning that if we couldn't get it fixed that they would bring theirs out of storage and use it.

I weigh every morning and my weight is almost back down to what shows on my ticker. Hopefully it will be right by the end of this week. I'm actually enjoying WW this time around and losing the weight helps inspire to stay with it.

Sorry I'm a little wordy this morning. Guess I better get busy and feed this little boy here.:)

Bonnie, Chipper, Fatmad, Rie and everybody have a great Monday.

fatmad
01-30-2012, 11:51 AM
hi all. fbs 4.9 today. First time under 5 in ages. I had a granola bar before bed last night, so maybe even with the metformin I need a carby snack at bedtime.
I have been trying to get away from eating in the evening for weight loss purposes, but keeping my sugars stable is first thing. Will try that for a little while.
Going for a trail walk this am with the dog, and getting in a few appts this week while I am off work. Planning activity everyday. A bit of snow here, but not too much to manage. Hope you stay warm Ruth!
Trish, enjoy the peace and quiet when you can. Hope the washing machine doesn't require an expensive fix. It has probably been working overtime for two families.
Hello to everyone else, and keep posting, I love to read how everyone is doing.

Riemontana
01-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Good Morning!

fbs at 89 this morning and I am not sure why?? I woke with a little scratchy throat but I feel ok. I did 40 minutes of walkitout.

Ruth, I hear you on wanting to walk outside. It is mostly dry here but I just know that I will be the one to slip, fall, and injure myself. I just can't afford the setback... I hope your knees continue to feel better.

Trish, hopefully the washer is just a hose or something... :hug:

My weight is up this morning but I think it is the result of non-home cooked meals and water retention. My rings are a little tight. My plan is for really good eating for a few days til the superbowl parties on Sunday. :o Life happens, right? I would really like to see the 160's.

Well, Fatmad, Chipper, Lyndy and others.... Happy Monday!

Rie

fatmad
01-30-2012, 09:17 PM
took DD out for supper this evening to Swiss chalet, was about to track the points, afterward but didn't have the handy restaurant guide to help me, good thing I had the 1/4 chicken with salad, not the chicken pot pie. (10 points vs 19!) I love the chicken pot pie. Will have to look up some recipes to make my own at home with reasonable points.
The snow is piling up here. Plan to ski at the conservation area tomorrow.

Ruthxxx
01-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Mad, I love Swiss Chalet! Good for you to resist that wonderful pot pie! I spotted my x-country skis in the barn the other day and was tempted but my old knees yelled "No!No!"

BGL up at 5.7 this morning and old Mr Scale is still constipated at 180.4. Just a half pound would allow me to fix my ticker. Yesterday was a bit carby with pea soup and crackers at noon and pasta for supper. Duh! What do I expect?

Got my eyes tested yesterday and got heck from my optometrist. I knew but had forgotten that diabetics need an eye test yearly. I haven't had one for three years. No problems though. My left eye distance vision has deteriorated slightly so I need just one new lens. Whew! I also still have that wee cataract but he says it is very small and can stay there as long as it doesn't interfere with my vision.

Hey! Last day of January at last. We'll start a new thread tomorrow - first person in gets the honour!

pattygirl63
01-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Good Morning,

My computer crashed yesterday so just have very basics. DH had to start it over with the factory settings so will be like a new pc. We just have to put things back in that I use a lot like 3fc. I was really lost without it. I still don't know what happened, but as much as I would like to share it, I don't think I will do it this time. I'm just not going to take the chance again. I never had any problem except with the pc not wanting to read the printer before I started sharing it. DH must have worked all night just to get it to the place to where I can use it on line.

I had to pull the Metformin back to 1000 mg a day. I'm having muscle spasm in places I didn't know I had muscles. I'm taking B-100, calcium and magnesium to stop the leg spasms and still had them even when taking 1500 mg. So I can't take more than 1000 mg. Hoping I can keep taking the 1000 mg. FBS up this morning, but the scales are moving down and the ticker is finally honest again. So like I've said before, I do believe that when I get the weight down the blood glucose will be better as well.

Fatmad - Good job choosing the 10 pts chicken instead of the 19 pt pot pie. It really makes it difficult eating out sometimes and I have had to guesstimate many times when eating out. You did a good job.

Ruthie - Hope the knees are better soon.

Rie - I experience some swelling when I eat out in some places too. I think some places use more salt than others. It means drink more water than usual to flush it out.

Chipper, Bonnie and others - Hope y'all are doing well.

Have a good day!!!

fatmad
01-31-2012, 10:17 AM
fbs back to 5.3 this am. The bedtime snack I had wasn't so carby I guess. (greek yogurt with raspberries and a handful of fibre 1 cereal). That particular meal is only 4 points using nonfat yogurt so I had it for breakfast too. Quite filling, and better than the cereal with milk and berries, I get more protein and it really "sticks".
trish, I hope it wasn't other family members on the computer who did something to make it crash. I have a password on my laptop now because DD kept using it and changing things, drove me crazy. I bought her "university" laptop 6 months early and banned her from the ones DH and I have for just that reason.
Got quite a bit of snow last night, the trail should be great. Ruth, I don't know if you have flat rail trails in your area, but we do, no hills, so the knees are happy since there is no impact. ON the other hand, if one isn't stable and falls, well its nasty getting up again.
I am calculating I will be about 160 lbs for the wedding if I can keep losing 1 pound a week. Not as much as I would like, but will plan to keep going for the whole year, (I figured I need to lose 40-50 pounds) and learn to go through the whole year this way, so it will be 2nd nature.
after giving up the chicken pot pie yesterday I have a terrible craving for it, so will plan that for supper tonight. Have found a few recipes on line so it can be far fewer points, easily. Yum!

Riemontana
01-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Good morning all!

fbs at 86 this morning. My weight is still up a little but I am being patient. Today is my mom's birthday and I have agreed to take her to here beloved china buffet for lunch. I will just be careful and enjoy the time with her. Ds has a really low cal supper of fish and veggies planned.

Mad, that breakfast sounds good and similar to what I often eat. Enjoy the ski time.

Ruth, remember those "nordik trak" ski things? Supposed to be easy on the knees but I sure couldn't do it. Too bad, I always thought it looked like fun. I hope your ticker gets tired of time out soon.

Very strict rules are required for computers. I recommend that you password protect yours. It helps. Such a bummer that the metformin keeps giving you problems. Sorry. But you are right that getting the weight off will help.

Chipper, Lindy, Bonnie.... Hello!

Rie

Ruthxxx
02-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Here's our new thread. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/251945-february-chat.html#post4198306