40-Somethings - 40-Something Chat. New Year = Fresh Start! Welcome!

Pages : [1] 2

patchworkpenguin
01-01-2012, 12:06 AM
The New Year is a chance for us to start fresh with new ideas, new goals and, hopefully, some new friends!

berryblondeboys
01-01-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm in my 40's. I still need to lose weight. I'm still working on improving my fitness.... Seems to fit me! So, for the new year I'll be joining you.. . By the way, I'm 42 years young,

patchworkpenguin
01-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Great to have you join us, Berry!

traveling michele
01-01-2012, 01:11 PM
New year and I'll join you all if I'm welcome. I've been maintaining my loss for a few years and usually hang out with the maintainers. I'm 44, married with two daughters. My eldest is away at college and my youngest leaves in the fall, which will leave me an empty nester. My dh travels a great deal so I suspect this will be an interesting year for me. Maintenance is always a challenge-- trying to balance food, exercise, work and family.

mgruce
01-01-2012, 03:32 PM
would love to join. I am 45 and have 30 pounds to lose. This thread has been pretty quiet. It would be nice to see it active

NEMom
01-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Happy New year to all!! Here is to hopping back on the wagon and losing my final 10lbs. Gonna try a bootcamp class this month. Hope to build some muscle. Wishing us all the best this year!!

KylieH
01-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Hey, guys! Welcome to 2012. :) I'm taking the new year as an opportunity to get back into shape and deal with some issues that caused me to relapse.

girljam
01-01-2012, 05:29 PM
I am 40! I started P90X last month but spent the last couple of weeks sick and stopped working out. I will be starting again tomorrow. I was posting on the Beachbody sight on a P90X forum but it's so intense over there. I'm not really into figuring out the percentage of protein to fats to carbs I'm eating. I like to keep it simple and focus on clean eating and moderation and working out, of course. I am 5'9" and weigh 175. My goal is to lose 30 lbs. Look forward to getting to know everyone on here a bit! Good luck to you all! :)

Angie Dixon
01-01-2012, 05:34 PM
I just joined the forum. I'm turning 44 in 26 days and intend to lose 75 pounds of my intended 115 by age 45. I have two teenagers, a husband and a best friend supporting me, so I know this is going to be a great adventure.

patchworkpenguin
01-01-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm happy to see so many new people and returning members!

Michele, past your goal and maintaining. Good for you! I'm glad you decided to join us!

Mgruce, glad to have you back

NE, bootcamp sounds very tough. I hope you enjoy it!

Kylie, welcome glad to have you join us!

Girljam, glad to have you join us. I did P90x a few years ago and also got sick between the 2nd and 3rd months. I didn't follow Tony's eating plan and certainly didn't count anything or figure precentages! Too much work for me!

Angie, glad to see you join!

I went shopping for sweatpants and didn't have much luck. I'm long waisted which means for most pants if the waist in is the right place the crotch dangles down about 3 inches below where it should, so low rise styles work the best, but most of the pants I tried on were so low-rise that the waist didn't even come up to my waist. How do they expect the pants to stay on??? The good news is that most XL fit while the 1x were too big. yay. Bad news is I only found one pair of pants.

We also did the groc shopping, and did some other errands. I'm going to try to convince Hubby to take me to a Walmart tonight to see if I can find anything there.

Debbie64
01-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Hi ladies, Debbie here. Would like to join you as well.
I started IP the day after Thanksgiving and boy do I have a lot to celebrate this NY! I am 17 lbs lighter and full of energy. I am a 47 year old RN who works 4 10+ days. I am still in Phase 1 but loving it now. I still struggle with the whole, "dont exercise" piece but I do know that it will come.
I look forward to hearing and sharing ideas. As my coach lives in MI and I am in NC all the information and support I can get will be most appreciated.

patchworkpenguin
01-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Sun Jan 1
B= 2 c milk, vits
L= Jason's Deli 1/2 Plain Jane potato, SW Chicken Chili poured on top {yum}
D=Chili's 1/3 Monterey chicken breast, all Broc, 1/2 mashed potatos
S= handful grapes, slice colby, 15 tomato/basil wheat thins, 1/2 apple
E= does shopping for pants count?

I did finally find 2 pairs of $7 sweatpants at Walmart. I have yoga pants but nothing really warmer to wear around the house or take the dog to the park. I hit the clearance rank, finding both a pretty purple tank for $3 and a Danskin jacket for $11.

I have to remember to feed my bread starter for tomorrow's baking!

Debbie, Good job on the 17lbs you have lost! I'm glad to hear you found something that works for you.

traveling michele
01-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

Penguin-- I miss Jason's deli! I'm from Texas but living in california and we don't have any here.

girljam
01-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Penguin, thanks for the welcome! I agree, too much work! I have to keep it simple or I will quit for sure.

Michele, congrats on maintaining your goal for three years! That is so great!

NEMom, congratulations on your success too! Bootcamp sounds like a lot of fun! I love a good, kill you workout (as long as my stupid injuries stay under control.) Muscles are SO important.

This already looks like it will be a great group! -Cindy

guacamole
01-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Hello, everyone! Nice to see the 40 somethings active again! The last week of December was not a good one for me diet-wise, so I am back on the wagon again starting today! Looking forward to the weight loss fellowship on 3FC! It's nice to know I'm not alone. Thanks for starting this new thread, patch!

evilwomaniamshe
01-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Happy New Year to all of us young ladies! :).
Just wanted to say best of luck to you all with your goals. I'll be 45 soon, yet I still feel like a teenager. I'm fit & strong and I'm able to give a punch & certainly take a punch too if needed! ;).
I will resume my 80% eating clean & 20% not so clean & continue with my daily workouts as this is how I roll! Oh yeah, I'm going on 5 YEARS maintenance in a few months! :)

berryblondeboys
01-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Well, this morning I about fainted when I saw the scale say 185.6. That is 14.4 pounds in less than 3 weeks. Now, yes, I did eat over this holiday season, but not by that much! Not even close! No wonder I used to get so discouraged with weight loss and that it seemed I could gain a ton overnight. My body balloons up when I over eat on carbs! I am beyond ready for this holiday season and all these parties to be over. I need to see that scale going DOWN!

lulablue11
01-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Ready to join in -Again. In review the year was a good one. Year was slow and low year-gradually lost weight (20lbs). I switched to low-carb in March. Gluten free in April. Then Paleo/Primal in June. So goal for 2012... I add the fitness component. Good luck to you all. Feel like magic is about to happen.

patchworkpenguin
01-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Morning all! Today I'm doing laundry and breadbaking, which I do every Monday morning! The routine continues! :dizzy: I'm planning a TB circuit with extra cardio for exercise.

I just want to point out that I post my menus because I find it works for me to help me stay accountable, I don't want anyone else to think that they have to post their foods unless they want to. :D

Lulablue, welcome, glad to have you re- join us. I like your quote!

Berry, I tend to lose/regain the same 5 lbs, which gets to be very discouraging. My mother is the same way but she's a size 6, I"m not sure which is worse however, 5 lbs on her is a differnt clothing size, while 5 lbs on me is a blip on the radar.

Wendalyn, glad to hear you are doing so well.

Guac, glad to hear you are back on the wagon!

Michele, Hubby loves Jason's so we eat there every Sunday after church {for about 3 years now}. I think I've had everything on the menu a couple of times, and have started making up things, but Hubby almost always gets the Beefeater sandwich with broc/cheese soup.

Cindy, I counted calories for over a year but all the numbers {not my strong point} really got to me. I tend to experiement a lot while I'm cooking so I never make the same thing the same way so each time I made something I had to redo the numbers for everything. More time than I wanted to put into my food/diet. I felt I was getting more obsessed with food not making it less important. But some people love it, and find that it works for them, it just didn't work for me.

traveling michele
01-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Wenalyn: when is your birthday? I'll be 45 on March 3, so we must be very close.

Berry: I'm always shocked at how quickly I can gain and how slowly I lose. I was up over 2 pounds today from yesterday and I did 90 minutes of bikram yoga yesterday! I'm praying some of it is water weight and I can flush it out in the next few days.

NEMom
01-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Berry. I too am having scale woes. It is upper than I want to admit too. Hoping some of it is water weight since I have been off work I have not been getting my water in. Went to the store today and stocked up on healthy food so I have a supply at work and home. My new goal is 150 and I am hoping to reach it by my 42nd bIrthday in April. Did get up and exercise today. I really don't want to go back to work but I need the routine it provides.

patchworkpenguin
01-02-2012, 06:49 PM
NE, when is your birthday? Mine is April 22! How did I miss that you were an April baby too? :dizzy: Good job on the exercise!

berryblondeboys
01-02-2012, 10:09 PM
NE, when is your birthday? Mine is April 22! How did I miss that you were an April baby too? :dizzy: Good job on the exercise!

My sons birthday is April 22nd - earth day.

patchworkpenguin
01-02-2012, 10:30 PM
My sons birthday is April 22nd - earth day.

Ha! I'm older than dirt! When I was a kid is was just my Bday, then they made it Earth day! Sorry I love that joke :dizzy:

patchworkpenguin
01-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Jan 2, Mon 1-2-12:D
B- 2 c milk, vits
L= leftover potato + soup from Jason's
S= grapes
D=1/2 can Veggie/beef soup, 1 slice cheese bread
S= 1.5 choc croissant
E= 61min cardio/weights + 10min yoga

We bought a package of 3 frozen 'bake and serve' choc croissant however we didn't read the package very well. They had to rise overnight, so we put them in the fridge to start to bake Sun morning, then forgot about them. So I baked them tonight with the bread. Yummy! We each ate 1 then split the 3rd because we knew it would never be as good reheated as straight out of the oven. We need to stay away from those!

berryblondeboys
01-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Ha! I'm older than dirt! When I was a kid is was just my Bday, then they made it Earth day! Sorry I love that joke :dizzy:

:D I didn't know it was the same day every year (thought it might be a roaming day) until my son was born on that day and the next year it stayed April 22nd... Hmmm... So, he always have t-shirts and stuff that say , "every day is Earth Day" and the like.

NEMom
01-03-2012, 09:34 AM
PP and Berry - My birthday is April 22 too! How weird is that. It is called Arbor Day here - same as earth day. Really is a small world.
Back on track today. Got up and exercised, packed my healthy snacks and lunch and hope to have a good food day. Of course one of my biggest hurdles is night time eating so I know I will have to continue to work on controlling that. My sale is still up 5lbs this morning but that is better than the 9lbs it was up over the weekend. Stupid water weight.

berryblondeboys
01-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Good day all. Scale I sthe same today which is good as I was not good yeterday. I have been so consistently good for a year and then bam.... These holidays through me for a loop. Doing a spinning class tonight and a step class tomorrow. That should help me get back on track.

traveling michele
01-03-2012, 11:19 AM

Did you see a preview for the movie coming out on Earth Day? It is called Orangutauns and it looks amazing! I can't wait for it to come out.

I posted about my daughter on the maintenance thread since that is where I'm better "known", but I'll post here so you all can learn a bit about me. My daughter will be 21 tomorrow and she suffers greatly from Tourette's Syndrome. She is an amazing young women who perseveres through her adversities, anxiety, and pain daily. She is a senior at Gonzaga University, majoring in Special Education, and will be an incredible teacher. She is on a quest to get a service dog who will help her in so many ways, but the service dog will be frightfully expensive. We are trying to spread the word, so that she might get some donations to offset the costs and the loan that she (we) have already taken. If you are interested in reading about her journey, her website is adogforkatherine.vpweb.com
Please feel free to share her story as we are trying to get the word out.
Thanks in advance!
Michele

patchworkpenguin
01-03-2012, 12:21 PM
I woke up with a headache/migraine so I took some meds hoping it will go away soon. The good new is I lost a lbs so I'm back to what my ticker says! I gave April <--- her Spa Day {brush, baby wipe down, claws clipped, and brushed her teeth}. I'm supposed to clean house today, finish some laundry, along with boxing for exercise. Hmmm, we'll see what gets done, LOL. Since we had to cancel Christmas because we were sick we've decided to have my parents over this Sat for dinner and presents, and just go visit Hubby's parents so they don't have to go to a lot of trouble just for us.

Michele, your daughter sounds amazing!

NE, I think I"m a year older than you, I'll be 43 in April.

Berry, don't forget Secretary's day or Administrative Assistant Day of whatever they call it now. I think that's the 23?

guacamole
01-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Hello, everyone! Just checking in. Staying on plan so far today, although I have been tempted several times to stray..... Feeling bloated and PMSy - although it seems too soon for that? Who knows. Now that I know eating certain foods (white sugar, high fructose corn syrup, sodium) makes me achy and brings on cravings for more, I have a new rationale to stay away. It's like I have to detox from those foods for the next few days after I eat them.

Hopefully, I will remember this feeling and not binge again.

Good luck to everyone today!

patchworkpenguin
01-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Guac, I hope you feel better soon!

My head is feeling better so I'm cleaning house, I've got the vacuuming done but now onto the mopping. I tend to splits the tasks up taking breaks to keep my back from hurting.

After not losing weight for a long time now, in the past month I've lost about 10lbs. My Mom asked me how I did it, and I've thought about the changes I've made and it comes down to two things! 1) I cut my portion sizes in half, but eat many small meals/snacks a day 2) I doubled my cardio. Neither one of these things is something I really wanted to do, and have resisted doing or trying for a long time but it came down to nothing else I tried worked and I'm so tired of 'trying' without success at losing weight. But finally I've made some progress!

patchworkpenguin
01-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Tues Jan 3
B= w c milk, vits
L= 1/3 Chili's Monterey chicken + 1/3 potatoes, 1/2 can of carrots
D= 2 homemade sliders, 1 bun {they got hard, yuck!}, 1 c of Michael Symon's recipe for Mac and Cheese
S= 4 blocks of Hubby's Mr Goodbar
S= 1/2 apple + 1 TB PB, 1 Lindor dark truffle
E= none :(

Right = I got everything else on my list done

Regret = but didn't get to the exercise. :o

berryblondeboys
01-04-2012, 07:57 AM
Morning all. I got to the spinning class last night and I'm getting ready for the BodyStep class this morning. That one will be tough, but I have to get at it. Scale was down 2.5 pounds this morning from eating clean yesterday. I'm flabbergasted at how much water weight I hold when I indulge in anything sugary. Just a big red glad to stay away from it.

I now really want to get to my all time low by Valentine,s day. Took me 17 days to gain 14 pounds. I'm giving myself 6 weeks to get those pounds off. Seems like a huge injustice that it takes so long to undo damage. Crap.... What if I was actually binging? I wasn't! By calorie count I should have gained no mo than 4-5 pounds. Guess my body doesn't read how it's supposed to react!

traveling michele
01-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Berry-- what is BodyStep? Is it a step class? I've done BodyPump and BodyCombat at my gym, but we don't have BodyStep. If you can lose 2.5 pounds overnight, losing 14 in 6 weeks should be a breeze!

My scale is also cooperating and is down 2 pounds since New Year. Now not to indulge with my daughter's 21st birthday today! She has made a tiramisu (sp?) cake from scratch. Luckily that isn't my favorite so I'll just have a polite sliver. We are also going out to eat, but I know how to order where we are going, so I'm good there. Not sure that I'll get exercise in today which makes me grumpy, but we'll see.

BuffJim
01-04-2012, 11:40 AM
I had one good week in early November, and since then not too good. Now reall trying again. So far this week my eating has been good. But I sprained my ankle at the gym last Friday, and can't exercise right now. Yesterday the doc drained my knee of 80 CC's of fluid (about 3 oz.) and gave me a cortisone shot. I should be able to exercise in a few days, because draining fluid from my body is not my preferred weight loss method. :(

patchworkpenguin
01-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Today was the first day back at Bible study for the new year! Nice to see everyone and get back in the swing of things. I got a lot of compliments on my grown out hair; I guess it took a month away for everyone to notice but it was nice to hear.

Its getting colder around here, yesterdays high was in the 30's but today is closer to 50*!

I've planned cardio and LB for today, I sat all morning so that should wake up my tailfeathers!

Jim, good to hear from you again. Sorry about the ankle and extra fluid, yuck, but glad you are getting better.

Michele, good job on the 2 lbs. Happy Bday to your daughter! Nice of her to make her own cake and something you dislike so you won't be tempted!

Berry, good job on the 2.5 lbs loss! My theory is our bodies are trying to drive us crazy by gaining so quickly and dropping so slowly. Trying to builld our character

andrew80k
01-04-2012, 03:33 PM
I'd like to join if that's ok. I'm 45 and want to look and feel better at 46 than I do at 45. I'm using fatsecret to track my intake and exercise. I'm doing good so far and am excited about getting to it.

berryblondeboys
01-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Berry-- what is BodyStep? Is it a step class? I've done BodyPump and BodyCombat at my gym, but we don't have BodyStep. If you can lose 2.5 pounds overnight, losing 14 in 6 weeks should be a breeze!

Yep, BodyStep is from The Les Mills studios and the same line. It's a step routine, but it incorporates strength training into it too. I also do BodyPump. My gyms also have BodyVive, but not BodyCombat. I like these classes as they aren't dance, but are athletic moves.

And congrats on your loss too! Have fun with your daughter's birthday.

berryblondeboys
01-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Berry, good job on the 2.5 lbs loss! My theory is our bodies are trying to drive us crazy by gaining so quickly and dropping so slowly. Trying to builld our character

I know, right? My husband and I we at the same weight for about 3 days (he recently lost 25) and ove the holidays he ate more and moved less and gained 2 pounds. I ate less, moved more and gained 14 pounds. Where is the justice in that?

berryblondeboys
01-04-2012, 03:52 PM
I'd like to join if that's ok. I'm 45 and want to look and feel better at 46 than I do at 45. I'm using fatsecret to track my intake and exercise. I'm doing good so far and am excited about getting to it.

Welcome Andrew!

berryblondeboys
01-04-2012, 03:54 PM
I had one good week in early November, and since then not too good. Now reall trying again. So far this week my eating has been good. But I sprained my ankle at the gym last Friday, and can't exercise right now. Yesterday the doc drained my knee of 80 CC's of fluid (about 3 oz.) and gave me a cortisone shot. I should be able to exercise in a few days, because draining fluid from my body is not my preferred weight loss method. :(

Yuck! Not a nice way to start out the year. But with getting derailed right around the holidays isn't rare. It's a tough time of year! Hope you heal quickly, but remember to not overdo it when you feel better or you could end up with even more injuries.

shiningthru
01-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Hi Im new here and thought I would check out this thread. Im really needing some support to stay on track. New Year, new me!!! :) I haven't braved the scale yet, sometimes it discourages me too much. So Im going to wait a little bit to do that, but so far today is going pretty good. Healthy breakfast, exercised a little bit (25 min) Good start! Im not sure what kind of food plan i want to do. Ive thought about weight watchers and Ive done a something similar to the zone in the past. Not sure where to start exactly but just not binging will be a good start! Look forward to getting to know ya'all. I just turned 43 in November and I hope that i can still do this and get to feeling great again. Just need a lil help

patchworkpenguin
01-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Yay! more new people!

Andrew, welcome, glad to have you join us!

Shiningthru, sometimes we need to take small steps and small changes; too much change at once can unsettle us and cause us to rebound back to our old comfortable ways. Don't feel you have to weigh until you feel ready, feel free to use other ways to track your progress. Good job on breakfast and the exercise. I started working out to a 20min beginners VHS and very slowly worked my way up to longer dvds.

Berry, I get really mad when I go on a diet, start cooking better/smaller portions, and my Hubby loses more weight than I do on my diet! :dizzy:

traveling michele
01-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Hi Im new here and thought I would check out this thread. Im really needing some support to stay on track. New Year, new me!!! :) I haven't braved the scale yet, sometimes it discourages me too much. So Im going to wait a little bit to do that, but so far today is going pretty good. Healthy breakfast, exercised a little bit (25 min) Good start! Im not sure what kind of food plan i want to do. Ive thought about weight watchers and Ive done a something similar to the zone in the past. Not sure where to start exactly but just not binging will be a good start! Look forward to getting to know ya'all. I just turned 43 in November and I hope that i can still do this and get to feeling great again. Just need a lil help

Of course you can do it! Where in AZ are you? My dd will be going to University of Arizona in the fall. I had never been before we visited in November-- loved it! I lost my weight with WW and am a huge proponent of the plan-- I even work part-time for them as a receptionist. I'm happy to answer any questions if you want.

Welcome Andrew too!

traveling michele
01-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Yep, BodyStep is from The Les Mills studios and the same line. It's a step routine, but it incorporates strength training into it too. I also do BodyPump. My gyms also have BodyVive, but not BodyCombat. I like these classes as they aren't dance, but are athletic moves.

And congrats on your loss too! Have fun with your daughter's birthday.

What is BodyVive like? We don't have that either. I know we also have BodyFlow but I haven't tried that one yet. Do you not like the dance classes? I like most of the classes, even the dance ones-- as I like variety and I feel like my body is constantly guessing then!

shiningthru
01-04-2012, 08:14 PM
yay! thx for the feedback already :)

PatchworkPenguin, thx good to have the feedback about not weighing yet and the small steps. I think patience and support is the answer to staying in it for the long term. Ive been thinking about getting a workout video. Today my 25 min included walking and a little jogging on the treadmill.

TravelingMichelle, Im in Phoenix, but I went to school at UOFA in Tucson. Its a great school hope ur dd likes it. And AZ is beautiful esp in November. Also thx so much about the WW questions. My mom did WW when I was growing up and Ive always known that it is a good plan. And then for some crazy reason I did a fad diet about 6 months ago (i cant believe I got suckered into it.) It was recommended to me and I really didnt know what i was getting into. Unfortunately it messed me up more than helping me, so Im really looking for something trustworthy and positive.

Still doing pretty good today with the food. :)

patchworkpenguin
01-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Wed, Jan 4
B=2 c milk, vits, 1 slice cinn bread
L=1/2 turkey sandwich, grapes
D= sweet potato, 1 c mac and cheese
S= 2 cuties, 2 c choc milk {not together!}
E= 30min cardio/LB + 45min barre/pilates/yoga

I developed a cough today, I've been cold most of the day and I just plain don't feel good. I took some Nyquil and am drinking the choc milk to kill the taste. Note to self to see if Nyquil comes in pills. I've also been sucking on cough drops all day. I just got over being sick I don't want to be sick again!

Does anyone use Firefox??? Hubby downloaded it for me since I've been having such touble getting 3FC to load quickly or correctly. BUT I'm vision impaired and I can't read 'normal' print. We can't figure a way to enlarge the print like we have done on IE. Any Ideas?

Shining thru, I like your avatar. I use workout dvds. What kind are you looking for, I might have a suggestion.

girljam
01-04-2012, 09:36 PM
So this week has been okay so far. Not great. Ugg, it's hard to get back in the swing of it when you ate so much crap over the holidays. Excuses, I know. What progress have I made? I worked out Monday night. Did P90X Core Synergistics and I got my husband to do it with me. Food hasn't been great but I did have some luck, had smoothies a couple of times: skim milk, greek yogurt, frozen berries, orange slices, flaxseed, spinach and collard greens. Way healthy and I couldn't taste the veggies (good thing!). I'll check everyone's posts more later. Just wanted to check in so I don't abandon my plans. Tomorrow I'll be working out with a friends so that is already scheduled, yay!

andrew80k
01-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Does anyone use Firefox??? Hubby downloaded it for me since I've been having such touble getting 3FC to load quickly or correctly. BUT I'm vision impaired and I can't read 'normal' print. We can't figure a way to enlarge the print like we have done on IE. Any Ideas?

I use Firefox. Use "ctrl+" (= key) to zoom the screen. That'll increase your text size. Firefox isn't as good as it used to be, but is still MUCH better than IE. The fewer add-ons you have the faster and more stable it will be too.

andrew80k
01-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Did good yesterday, 2000 Calories. All stuff that's good for me. No sugar, except for what is 2 of my snacks, both have a few grams. My wife made the Fish Taco's out of Bill Phillips' Eating for Life book for dinner last night. Used Swordfish and they were excellent. Had the Breakfast casserole out of the same book this morning. I wish he would put the calories in the book, because figuring it out is a pain. Ran a little over 2.5 miles on the treadmill @ 5.0 miles per hour. Not burning it up yet, but I have to start somewhere.

berryblondeboys
01-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Weight is still slowly creeping down. Losing the same pounds always sucks! Set up alarms on my iPhone last night so I can get signed up for all the classes at the gym I want - I hope! I'm going to try my hand at yoga. This will probably be every comical!

NEMom
01-05-2012, 10:25 AM
PP- I hope you are not getting sick again. Sending healthy vibes your way.

Andrew - Fish tacos with swordfish, sounds icky to me but I am not a fish person and I am glad you and your wife are finding creative healthy dishes. Good job on the treadmill, your right, we all have to start somewhere.

Berry - I hope you enjoy your yoga class. I have signed up for a bootcamp class but this one does not start until the end of Feb. Hope it does not kill me.

My weight is slowly going down. I hate relosing pounds I already lost. Blah.
Yesterday I went to the doc with my daughter (she is 20 yet mommy has to go sitll). She is so beuatiful, feels very confident in how she looks but when they weighed her, I about had a heart attack. She is only 5-6lbs less than I weigh now. I tried very sensitively to tell her she does not want to get bigger and talked with her about exercises she can do in her dorm room, I do not want to make her feel fat when she loves how she looks but I do not want her weight to go out of control and her to end up where I started. I have a 15 year old son who is also overweight and I try to encourage him to eat healthier and exercise. He plays FB and does weight training at school and I can really start to see his muscels build up. It is such a touchy thing to talk with my kids about their weight, I do not want to make them feel bad but I do not want them to end up like I was, overweight my whole life, and they are. Makes me feel like a bad mom and I love my kids more than anything.
My hubby is overweight too. He carries it all in his stomach, the worst place for a man. He has a high rate of heart disease. I have tried encouraging him to be healthier because I fear for his health but again, I do not want to push.
Love my family to pieces just feel I have failed when it comes to their health.
Hope you all have a wonderful Thursday!

Audie O
01-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Hi Everyone! I turn 46 tomorrow. I quit smoking August 17, 2010, and just tried to get through that for a year or so. (Still smoke-free!!!) I was walking on the treadmill for about 14 months then decided to start running - ran 353 miles from 10/1/11-12/31/11. Then decided I needed to get some muscle so I'm on Day 5 of JM Ripped in 30 (and I think I already ripped something - I was always an over achiever1 LOL!!!)

I have 4 kids ranging from 11 to 22. I'm looking forward to a great healthy year and looking for support, ideas and to be a blessing to someone if I can!

shiningthru
01-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Hi all :)
Im feeling good today. Glad to have that first day down! Yesterday I ate well, exercised and drank a good amt of water! yay! Still hard to deal with the image in the mirror and see what Ive been doing to myself but Im not going to let it discourage me. Getting ready to do a little exercise at lunch time here.

Happy Birthday Audie!

PatchworkPenguin, thx :) i like her too, she makes me feel beautiful. I hope you are starting to feel better and dont get sick again. Good job on ur food and exercise ystrdy!!! Im open to dvd recommendations. Do you use one for the bar/pilates? Have you ever tried Tracy Anderson's dvds or is there a yoga one that you like. thx

Will read and catch up more later, gna go get my workout going.

Moondance
01-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Hooray! So glad this board is active again. I haven't checked in for awhile because it was so quiet. Glad to see all the new faces.

Me? 46, married, 2 DD's, 18 and almost 15. Highest weight: 205. Got serious about losing (again) at 200. Holiday's were a bit rough, but I feel like I'm getting back on track (though the cravings are still hanging around).

Have a great, OP day!

patchworkpenguin
01-05-2012, 07:38 PM
I've spent most of the day either in bed or on the couch. I already feel much better than I did last night, so hopefully I can get over this quickly. I think my immune system was just weak front the stomach bug over Christmas so I was open to getting this cold {or whatever}.

I'm trying FireFox so that 3FC will load better. I know I'm a bad speller and I make a lot of typos, LOL, but Firefox is letting me know everytime I make a mistake by running a zigzag red line under each mistake {like in Word}, Kinda making me nuts.

Moondance, you do realize the thread will only stay active if we all keep posting! :D

Shining, I've never tried TA but I've heard both good and bad about her, she does systems which are something I try to avoid. I'm not a big fan of yoga but I like Rodney Yee''s style of power yoga with short holds. My favorite of his is AM Yoga for Your Week . It has 5 short 20min practices each with its own focus. http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/rodney-yees-am-yoga-for-your-week-5567 'Element Ballet Conditioning', although its more of beginner ballet http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/element-ballet-conditioning-7905 is my favorite for barre workouts. Ellen Barrett has some good ballet/yoga/pilates fusion workouts. Power Fusion is a favorite. http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/ellen-barrett-live-power-fusion-6032

Audie, welcome, good to have you join us. Congrats on quitting smoking! I like your 'ripped' joke!

NE, I think its wonderful that you care enough for your kids to want the best for them and I'm sure they understand that! Hopefully, your daughter will see the positive changes in you and want those too.

Andrew, thanks for the help with Firefox. 2 more ???. How do I make the blinky cursor larger so I can see it? and how do I make a favorites list, is that the bookmark list??

Berry, I have terrible vision related balance but even I can do yoga. Its not my favorite exercise but afterwards I always feel great.

Girljam Core Syn is soooo hard! Its one of those workouts that grows with you so it never seems to get easier. Great job getting you Hubby invovled.

berryblondeboys
01-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Got another workout in and this time I feel tired. Could be my interrupted sleep last night. That couldn't have anything to do with it, right?

Can't wait for this weekend to be over. It's orthodox Christmas and my husband's birthday, and then that is IT of all these high calorie days. Even now I am going to try to keep it low key for me. I am satiated with goodies and hate what they do to the scale!

cheekiemonkey
01-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Hi Ladies,

Mind if I join you on this quest?

I am starting again new. Fell off the wagon for awhile and decided to start getting serious about my goal. I turn 43 on the 29th....I am now in the worst shape of my life.

I also just bought a bunch of junk at the grocery store because i went there hungry. I am thinking of throwing it out or giving it away before i eat it.

My goal is to get in the best shape of my life by the time 12/12/12 rolls around. Yeah- 11/11/11 would have been cooler but that ship has sailed.

I want to buy a treadmill and am curious about the bodybug thingy- anyone have any recommendations?

Best to you all!

Cheekie

Bilbi
01-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Happy New Year. I'm 43, trying to lose the same 25 pounds for the billionth time but somehow they keep creeping back. I try to eat healthy, cook mostly from scratch, excercise and still find it is much harder to lose weight now than it was even 2 or 3 years ago. It just sticks to me and won't let go:(.
Good luck to all of us.:carrot:

patchworkpenguin
01-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Thurs, Jan 5
B= 4 c apple juice, 1/2 bowl pre-packaged oatmeal
L= 1/2 can beef/veggie soup, more apple juice?
D= leftover Chili's chicken + pot, carrots
S= spaghetti, cheese
S= 1/2 apple, 15 wheat thins, cheese
S= rest of box of wheat thins split with Hubby {60+ each , we were bad!}
E= none

Right= staying home to not pass on the germs

Regret= the wheat thins- mindless eating for the sake of eating

~~~~

Bilbi, welcome glad to have you join us!

Cheekie, I can't help you with the BodyBugg but I've seen threads here. I think there's a support group for people using them in Exercise?

andrew80k
01-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Andrew, thanks for the help with Firefox. 2 more ???. How do I make the blinky cursor larger so I can see it? and how do I make a favorites list, is that the bookmark list??

Unfortunately, the cursor size is an OS thing, not really a Firefox thing. There is an addon called NoSquint (I can't post links yet or I'd link it for you) that you can use to adjust things around and that might help, though I'm not sure how much. It gives you more control over what you enlarge and what's left the same size than ctrl+ does.

You can do favorites/Bookmarks two ways. You can use the Bookmarks menu to add them or you can click on the little star in URL bar at the top where you see the site name. On the far right is a little button that has a star in it if you are not displaying the Menu Bar at the top.

Let me know if you have any more.

natamars
01-06-2012, 07:45 AM
Stupid me..I was still posting in the old thread, wondering where everyone was!

I am up 5 lbs. from 12/15..finally got the courage to weigh in this morning. So tired of this pattern..stop paying attention to what I eat, and the 5 lbs. are back within 2 weeks. I'm doing OK with exercise, just have to get back on track with food. Have cut of food by 4PM the last 2 days, and am making some better choices, but still too many calories overall. Had fun at Zumba last night - they moved the class time earlier so I can rarely get there now because of work. I'll do the stairs at work today and try to get a long run in tomorrow - supposed to be about 50 degrees here. I'm looking at training plans for the half-marathon I want to do in May.

TGIF!!!

andrew80k
01-06-2012, 07:48 AM
I spent half the night building my new weight bench, ( I sold my old one before I moved this summer), finally got done and got my workout in. Weight training, lower body. Went ok. Once I get the weight right it'll go better.

I ate good and came in at 2000 calories. Right on target. I keep track of my food on fatsecret so don't really want to repeat all that in here.

I took a preliminary weight this morning, though I do my "official" weigh-ins on Saturday. I'm down a pound in 4 days. Not bad. I'll have to see what BF% is tomorrow.

eightiesbabe84
01-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Hi everyone! I am new to the forum and a returner to the site. Hi to Debbie; it is good to see another RN. It is good to have someone who gets the whole "nurse taking care of everyone but herself" thing that nurses do. I am 45. I would like to get my weight down to keep up on the floor without feeling like "you know what" when I get home. Working in health care constantly reminds you of what you should be doing, high time I started paying attention. Good to have you all!

guacamole
01-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Quick check in. Nice to see so many folks on board!

natamars - I know what you mean about losing the same 5 lbs. Been there done that - it's been the story of my weight loss journey and the reason for my slow progress.

patch - hope you are feeling better.

Got to get through the weekend - always tough for me. So many treats, so little time.

Stay strong everyone!

Moondance
01-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Patchworkpenguin: Yes, I'll keep posting... :) I like the inclusion in your post of what you did right and what you regret. I think I'll adopt it.

I've got a busy weekend on tap. My goal is to eat when I should, not wait until I'm so hungry I go for anything fast.

Yesterday's success: ate within my calorie count
Yesterday's lesson learned: don't forget to take BP pill!

Hope everyone has a great day and a great weekend!

patchworkpenguin
01-06-2012, 12:44 PM
I feel much better today. Still stuffy and tired but okay. We are having Christmas tomorrow so I am baking the pumpkin pie, will make the stuffing later today, and check to see if the turkey breast is thawed for tomorrow's sauna in the crockpot!

Since I'm sick my hunger cues aren't cueing, so I'm trying to eat at regular intervals whether I'm hungry or not, but trying to make good choices.

Moondance, glad to hear you will stick with us. The 'right/regret' is a shorthand version of the Beck plan of credits for what we did right and goals to work toward.

Andrew, obviously this is going to take some getting used to. Thanks for you help. I'm on 2 forums daily {err, multiple times daily:dizzy:}. The exercise forum seems to work better on IE while Chicks works better on FF. always something! I'm sure you know this but keeping track of the weights you use each workout will help you find the 'right' weight easier.

Babe, welcome, glad to have you join us!

Natamars, I'm glad you found us. I was wondering where you went! I'm sorry to hear about your gain. I felt I was doing so well with food, then yesterday I had 'the crackers!". Very discouraging. All I can do is start again!

andrew80k
01-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Andrew, obviously this is going to take some getting used to. Thanks for you help. I'm on 2 forums daily {err, multiple times daily:dizzy:}. The exercise forum seems to work better on IE while Chicks works better on FF. always something! I'm sure you know this but keeping track of the weights you use each workout will help you find the 'right' weight easier.

I'm happy to help. Let me know if you have any more questions I can answer. Or any I can't... :?:

Yes, ma'am. I do know to keep track, but I've been a VERY long time removed from working lower body and it was getting late, so I guessed. At least now I have a better idea of where to start going forward. I wasn't too far off in some things, but quite a bit in others. It's a process.

NEMom
01-06-2012, 01:30 PM
TGIF!!!
Had a good food day on Thursday and so far on track today. I woke up late this morning, shut my alarm off instead of hitting snooze, so I did not get up in time to exercise. I will try to get in in tomorrow before house cleaning so I get my 5 days in this week.
The scale was down a little this morning, not moving down by leaps and pounds but down is better than up, which is what I have seen the last couple of weeks.
I really sounds like you are all off to a great start this new year.
Have a wonderful weekend!

patchworkpenguin
01-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Yes, ma'am. I do know to keep track, but I've been a VERY long time removed from working lower body and it was getting late, so I guessed. At least now I have a better idea of where to start going forward. I wasn't too far off in some things, but quite a bit in others. It's a process. I saw on another thread that you've done P90x, which is where I learned about weight sheets. Some of my friends on the exercise forum ordered X2 and are working their way through the rotation. They seem to like it but X1 was enough for me!

NE, congrats on the scale being down!

shiningthru
01-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Hi there
Hope everyone is having a good friday. Im grateful i found this thread. Today is my 3rd day and Im hanging in. I didnt sleep very well last night but Im still doing ok today. That can be a trigger for me so Im just trying to be mindful. Got a couple of frustrating phone calls and feel kinda grouchy... lol sorry to vent. I know the first couple of weeks getting back into exercise are tough so Im just trying to keep going. Today i did some walking and jogging for about 30 min and then a little bit of abs and actually tried a few lunges! yikes...

Im mad at myself about the gain and having a hard time wanting to see people. Having body image stuff and frustrated with my weight. So I want to stay positive and balanced. I am doing great today and thats the best thing I can do.

Patchwork, thx for the ballet barre recommendations, i have always wanted to try those. I too am not sure about TA, thx for the feedback. Glad ur feeling better

NeMom, congrats on the scale moving downwards!!! good luck on ur exercise program tmrw :)

moondance, good job on ur success

guac, love ur avatar and name! :) good luck getting thru the weekend

natamars, i can relate, sorry to hear about ur gain!

good luck to everyone

patchworkpenguin
01-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Fri, Jan 6
B= 2 c apple juice, 1/2 oatmeal package
L= 1/2 turkey sand, 1/2 apple
D= 2 meatball pizzas on bread= 2 slices bread, sauce cheese, 4 meatballs, 1 Lindor truffle
S= grapes, cereal {not together}
E= 12min cardio + 60min yoga

Today was supposed to be long cardio and short yoga, but I knew I couldn't do much cardio so I did a Mile with Leslie Sansone to warm up then tried a few yoga dvds until I found one I liked. Most of what I have on dvd is power yoga but I wasn't up to that {down dog with a stuffy head give the pose a whole new dimension:dizzy:} I finally found one I hadn't tried before which turned out to be very nice.

Tomorrow is our postponed Christmas with my parents; hopefully nothing else will go wrong. All in all a good day.

Shining, good job on the exercise! Stick with it. :hug:

kidsrgrown
01-07-2012, 10:50 AM
February will be 6 years post hysterectomy for me, and January 11 will be a year of not smoking. I sailed through a forced menopause with no medications except for a brief time on anxiety meds. to help with a hormonal imbalance. (Don't mean to give tmi, but putting all my cards on the table in hopes that I can get honest feedback). I was worried then about weight gain, because I was told to expect it, but it never happened. I ate what I wanted, didn't really have to do a structured exercise and just enjoyed life pain free. -until now. With the kids older, and it being just my husband and I most of the time, life has slowed down and the weight gain has started. Within the last year, I have gained over 20 pounds. It was a fairly quick gain, mostly within the last 6 months. I am looking forward to having someone to chat with and share my weight loss experience with.

I am not quite five feet, so any weight I gain shows up easily and hope that the same will be said for any loss as well. With being extra careful with my diet this week, I have lost 3 pounds. Much easier with the holidays and holiday eating out of the way.

Lets do this together!!!

patchworkpenguin
01-07-2012, 01:30 PM
We got the turkey breast in the crockpot! And the dining room cleaned cleared out fot dinner tonight, including the huge dog crate! Yay! we are both a little stuffy, I'm beginning to blame the quick change from freezing to warm to moderate weather we are having. Its raining and colder today at 55*. Bad news, we decided we really need to give April a BATH so that's next after lunch!

Kidsrgrown, welcome, glad to have you join us!

Hubby just arrived with lunch. Be back later!

StraitLover
01-07-2012, 03:05 PM
About the Firefox font thing:

Click on Tools, Options, Content. In the middle see Fonts & Colors. See if monkeying around there helps.

FYI - I am a lurker here. I'm hoping soon I will have the courage to start actally posting. :o:dizzy:

patchworkpenguin
01-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Straitlover, we would love to have you join us! Thanks for the FF tips.

April <--- got her bath, then I got a shower, then Hubby cleaned the bathroom. He's so helpful!

HoosierMomma
01-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Hello All ! My name us Theresa and I found This forum while doing a search for strength training. I am soon to be 44, would like to lose 30 pounds. I gained more than 15 last year due to stress eating from a stressful job. I recently changed jobs and the stress is decreasing so it's time to get in gear and get healthy.

I started going to the gym 3weeks ago and I've lost 4 pounds and 1 inch. I try to go the Y at least 3-5 days a week and really need to work on my diet and my love for chocolate!

It's nice to "meet" you all, Theresa

patchworkpenguin
01-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Dinner went well, and we got to open presents! I hope I looked more tired than contagious!

Sat Jan 7
B= Dayquil, 2 c milk, 1/2 mug coffee
L= 1/2 Chili's Burger, BBQ sauce, 6 fries
S= 1 c milk, 1/2 apple
D= turkey breast, dressing, green bean cass, sweet potato cass, cran sauce, sliver pumpkin pie
S= Nyquil, 1 c milk, another slice pie!
E= does cleaning the house, moving furniture, giving dog a bath, cooking dinner, and cleaning up afterwards count as exercise??

Theresa, welcome, glad to have you join us!

natamars
01-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Down 1.6 lbs. this morning. Ate better yesterday and kept my calories down. I was SO happy with my run last night - I did a .8 mile warm-up and then ran 5.6 miles! Longest I've ever run continuously..it was one of those rare(for me) runs where you feel you could go forever. But it was getting quite dark and the oncoming headlights were blinding me!

pp, that stuff DEFINITELY counts as exercise!

Theresa, you're off to a great start! I gained 30 lbs. when I started working full-time again in a VERY stressful job. That eventually led to health issues for me, so it's great you got out!

patchworkpenguin
01-08-2012, 10:36 AM
I couldn't sleep last night because I was so stuffed I couldn't breathe. I finally slept upright in the recliner couch, then about 5am went to bed. Hubby woke up about 6 with a horrible headache and spent the rest of the night on the couch until I woke up and sent him back to bed. My mom texted me this morning, I thought she was going to say that they were sick but she just told me they had a nice time and she was wearing the scarf I knit her for Christmas to church today.

I got 8 workout DVDs mostly k/boxing, and 1 Season of Classical Stretch workouts {new to me} as well as a gift card to Olive Garden. I picked out the DVDs myself. Hubby told the 'guys out at work' that he bought me workout DVDs for Christmas, lol, they all thought he was in trouble until they found out I picked them out, he just paid for them {I had to wrap them also.:(} Now if I can just get well so I can try them out!

Natamars, good job on the loss and great job on the run.

andrew80k
01-08-2012, 10:57 AM
I've been doing pretty well with the eating, though I did have an adult beverage last night. I've done pretty well this week and weighed in this morning. I'm down 2.5 pounds. Which is better than I was expecting. Worked out 6 days last week too.

shiningthru
01-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Hi Good morning
Great to see all the successes on here! I still have not braved the scale but today is 5 days of clean eating! :) Yesterday I was able to do more running, its tough getting started again but Im hanging in here. I think I ran 2 miles and then walked. All in all i did about 45 min cardio.

So great natamars on ur run!!! and ur loss!!! I cant wait til I can go longer :)
And andrew, congrats on ur loss and even after ur fun evening!!! WTG!
Penguin, how fun that you got 8 new dvds!!! Hope you get to feeling better soon!
Theresa, glad ur on here :)

Stacie68
01-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Hi Penguin! I love your profile picture. :) You seem so supportive of everyone here. Thanks so much from a newbie. <3 You are beautiful in your photo...keep it up...you look great!

Stacie

Stacie68
01-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Natamars and Theresa, y'all are doing great! Keep up the good work! :D You are both inspiring me to go do my exercise today even though I feel like taking a nap. lol

Andrew80K had to laugh at your comment about the adult beverage. Trust me, if it weren't for the diet, I'd be doing that a whole lot more often. I'm a teacher! :p

CANi2012
01-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Hello everyone, I started last week just trying to eat right the week went okay just have to make myself eat at work because I am always busy...Love this board. Keep up the good work everyone...As for my I am trying to keep the faith...

patchworkpenguin
01-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Stacie, thank you! you are very sweet! :hug: I hope to get a new picture taken soon. That one is from last spring, sadly, I haven't changed much, but my hair is longer, lol.

Andrew, adult beverage, lol. Good job on the loss!

CanI, good job on your eating! Sometimes one little change can make a big difference overall.

Shining, good job on the cardio. Running, too! I'm impressed. Cardio is not my thing but it seems to be what my body wants.

traveling michele
01-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Stacie-- where in Houston do you live? And teach? I'm from Houston, but currently live in CA. Miss Houston though!

Great job to all of you "losers"! Good weekend for me overall. I was planning an off-plan meal Saturday night, but the restaurant had 1.5 hour wait (they don't take reservations), so we went somewhere else and my meal was OP!

patchworkpenguin
01-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Sun, Jan 8
B= 1c milk, aspirin {went back to bed}
L1= turkey breast on a dinner roll, 4 bites of sweet potato casserole
S= milk, 1/2 apple
L2= 2 eggs, 1 bacon, 1 toast w jam, 2c milk
D1= Abbay's 1/2 meatloaf, 1/4 green beans, 1/2 mashed potato w gravy
D2= 1/3 can turkey chili w cheese and corn, 1 cheesebread
S= sliver pumpkin pie
E=none

I felt like I was eating all day, well okay I was, but I was hungry at each meal/snack and didn't over eat. Not something I usually do, but I did a rough track of the calories and came up with 2306, when I should be closer to 1800. I did drink about 600 cals in milk alone, but in some cases I need to make better choices.

We both have dentist appointments tomorrow. Better go brush!

Michele, I wouldn't have waited either, I don't care how good the food is.

shiningthru
01-09-2012, 03:44 AM
Hey all
just thought i would chime in about Houston. I lived there for a few years. I used to love to go running there actually... something about the humidity i actually liked.. go figure :) I also like running in the rain in AZ so i guess thats kinda the same.. hee hee

I lived in the Heights mostly, worked in Montrose and on the Southwest side
Houston was fun! I actually played in a band when I lived there and we won best world beat band from the Houston Press... lol, that was a while ago! :)

good to think about for me today. Got a tough phone call earlier and have been crying a lot today. Food has still been fine, gna try to get some sleep
gnight ladies and gents :)

natamars
01-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Yesterday went pretty well. Too many carbs, though, and a big lunch of eggplant parmeggian and whole wheat pasta(yum). 45 minutes on the elliptical - burned about 300 calories. Stopped eating early in the day.

I started a Valentine's Day 40's challenge thread - please stop by!

shining, hope you got some sleep and that today is better for you.

pp, good luck at the dentist.

michele, glad dinner worked out for you!

CAN, find some snack-type foods that you can eat quickly - things like bananas and almonds are usually good.

Stacie, did you get some exercise in? I usually don't feel like it, but I project ahead and know I'll feel better about myself if I just do it.

andrew, what a fantastic week you had!!

andrew80k
01-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks, everyone, for all the support.

I took yesterday off the exercise to get a little rest and recovery in. I will be back at it later today. Ate clean, though not enough. I slept late and missed a whole meal, ugh. But I was tired so that helped with that.

To all of you that fell off the wagon over the weekend. Get back up on it. To those that stayed on it, good for you. Keep up the good work.

If you're just starting out, plan, prepare, get advice. There's lots of good stuff here.

berryblondeboys
01-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Two days of holiday carb eating equals 5 pounds on the scale. At this point, I just have to laugh, but, back to lowering my carbs again. It will be a tough couple days though. Yikes!

Bought some PB2 powder to try. I hope it is as filling as regular peanut butter. What is the point of lowering the fat content if I just need to turn around and eat more to keep from getting hungry? We will see.

traveling michele
01-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Hey all
just thought i would chime in about Houston. I lived there for a few years. I used to love to go running there actually... something about the humidity i actually liked.. go figure :) I also like running in the rain in AZ so i guess thats kinda the same.. hee hee

While I do NOT like running, whenever I go to Houston in August, I always run for my exercise. Because I don't have my gym, I run around my in-laws lakes in their community-- I try to go early, but I'm always drenched by the time I return. It helps me to maintain my weight though when I'm there and exposed to all of my favorite restaurants.

NEMom
01-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Good Monday all! Hope you have a wonderful on track weekend!
For myself, I totally fell off the wagon this weekend and I am really starting to get disgusted with myself. I do good for a couple of days and then screw up on the weekend or I do well during the day and screw up in the evening. I just need to get it together so I can lose my final 10lbs.

misskitty
01-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Hi all,

I'm back. It was spring 2010 when I did so well. I maintained pretty well, creeped back up a bit, but then this past summer, my 15 yr old was diagnosed with epilepsy and we spent the summer together, every minute of every day while he was on meds to control the seizures (infrequent, thank goodness), but he was angry, I was angry (at the unfairness of getting sick when he should have been striking out and becoming more independent), and this fall I also had to be home when he was home, not sleeping, worrying about him having a seizure between about 2 and 6 am, eating, going to therapy (family and for me), and working of course. Longer story, no need for more details at this point, but I've gained my 20 pounds before having reached my initial goal, and need some sort of motivational help. I'm sad, sad, sad, about my baby boy. And I sent my (19 yr old) baby girl on her study abroad program last week. And it's winter in Pittsburgh. And the Steelers lost last night.

I'm not sure I'll start smash fat again since that's hard to follow on my own and feeding my son (my husband would be happy to join me on this because he's feeling the approach to 50 as well), but I'm thinking about it.

Thanks all,
Misskitty

Moondance
01-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Happy Monday everyone!

To those of you struggling to get (back) on track...take it one meal, one food choice at a time. Plan ahead! You can do it!

To those who are seeing the scale down with some regularity...great job!

I seem to be somewhere in between. Overall the scale is going down, but I'm still struggling with cravings from all the sweets I've been consuming. So hard! Now if I could just get motivated to move my body more!

Moondance
01-09-2012, 03:25 PM
And the Steelers lost last night.

Sorry about that.

Go Broncos!

patchworkpenguin
01-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Good reports for both of us from the dentist. We did some shopping, too. We hoped to have some time to take April for a walk but it starting raining before we made it home.

I'm feeling better and itching to try my new workouts soon! Tomorrow I have a routine visit to the eye doc, why do these things get scheduled back to back?

MissKitty, welcome back! What a tough stituation but I bet the extra time with you son is nice.

NE, I've felt that way for a long time. I felt I was doing so well, seeing some progress and then just 'walked away' or I binged on something, destroying whatever progress I've made. Keep tryihg; where would we be if we gave up completely .

Berry, what iS PB2?

Natamars, your pasta sounds wonderful

Shining, sorry to hear about the phone call...hope you are feeling better.

natamars
01-09-2012, 05:51 PM
OK, posting here and trying to avoid the kitchen. I did well with food today but had a very stressful discussion with DH this afternoon and am trying not to turn to food. I had a Skinny Cow as soon as I walked in the door but am trying to leave it at that.

pp, glad you're feeling better.

moondance, so true - the more junk we eat the more we crave it! also trying to wean myself off after the holidays.

misskitty I'm sorry you've had such a rough time - good to see you back. I liked fat smash when I did it because it's very close to my normal way of eating anyway. You'll find what works for you and your family.

NEMom, I hear you - been struggling with the same thing. But we're still here trying, right?

berry, I'm sure the 5 will be gone quickly - you know you didn't really gain that. But it sucks seeing the number all the same.

HoosierMomma
01-09-2012, 07:19 PM
I had a great day yesterday at the gym 35 min in the elliptical and weight training on my arms. Im sore today but was a bit bummed to see an extra 2 lbs on the scale. I think it's just water weight since I seem to be down about 1 1/2 inches but I still am anxious to see the weight start to disappear :0(

My biggest problem in the last 2 days seems to be sweets-I have got to conquer sweets, especially chocolate. Otherwise my eating is great. Theresa

patchworkpenguin
01-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Mon Jan 9
B= 2 c 1% milk, 1 c cereal + 1/2 c milk
L= Longhorn Steakhouse ~ 1/2 Fontina Chicken sand 1/2 sweet pot +butter and cin/sugar
S= 1/2 apple
D= 2.5 oz {yes, I weighed;)}, 1.2 c green bean cass, 1/2 c sourdough dressing
S= slice pumpkin pie, 1/2 apple
E=none

Calories = 1587

I'm not sure I will keep up the C Counting. I've tried it before without very great results; I felt deprived {at 1800+}, like I couldn't eat anything 'yummy' without exceeding cals, and I felt like I was spending more time concentrating on food when I was trying to become less obsessed. I'm in a better place now with food, but I'm afraid of going 'there' again. :o So we shall see what happens.

Theresa, Good job on the exercise. I feel you will be able to conquer cravings.

Natamars, be strong. Eating something won't make you feel better!

CANi2012
01-09-2012, 11:50 PM
Today was a wonderful day...I ate good and exercise...:cheer3:

Natamars, thanks for the idea and how do we find your valentine challenge? :val1:

Theresa good job exercising:carrot:

Patch do what works for you just keep moving forward :twirly:

misskitty the black and gold went DOWN....:D

andrew80k
01-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Another good day for me. It's getting easier to stick with it. I prepare at night for the next day and that makes it easy to ensure I eat what's on my plan and only that.

I did a mid-week check and I'm down a couple more pounds, which bothers me some as I'm sure it's mostly water weight. I can tell I'm starting to lose weight and my metabolism is starting to kick in but I'm 10 days in and down 6.5 pounds. That's a bit much. I've been trying to get my water intake up, but I'm still not where I need to be, I guess.

I'm starting to work out harder this week. Not a lot harder but some. I jogged almost 3 miles and did some intervals during it.

Nat -- you hang in there. We men can be ... difficult sometimes. Food is not really a comfort thing. You need a heavy bag. :) Something you can punch.

Moondance Often our cravings are telling us something. Typically we crave the things we are missing from our diets. Particularly if you are not eating enough. I'm 1000 calories down per day from my maintenance level and the only time I get hungry is when I lose track of time and wait too long between meals. I actually don't crave anything, which is surprising considering that M&Ms (peanut) have been a staple for me for years. Seriously. Years.

MissKitty That's tough. My grandfather had epilepsy and dealt with it his whole life. Remember though that the healthier you are, the better you will be able to handle the stresses in your life.

Patch One of the things I read recently was that you shouldn't constantly have to count calories. Most of the time we eat the same things over and over. Once we know how many calories that is, there isn't really any need to count them. But if you aren't getting the results you expect, it's always good to be able to account for what we're doing and adjust accordingly. Do things like spot check. Count them for a day and see where you are. Figure out what your exercise is adding to that and make sure you're eating to accommodate.

NEMom Get back on the wagon and buckle up.

andrew80k
01-10-2012, 08:51 AM
I had a great day yesterday at the gym 35 min in the elliptical and weight training on my arms. Im sore today but was a bit bummed to see an extra 2 lbs on the scale. I think it's just water weight since I seem to be down about 1 1/2 inches but I still am anxious to see the weight start to disappear :0(

My biggest problem in the last 2 days seems to be sweets-I have got to conquer sweets, especially chocolate. Otherwise my eating is great. Theresa

Put the chocolate down and step away. In fact get it out of your house if you are unable to overcome the temptation. That will help a lot. If you don't buy it you won't eat. ;)

NEMom
01-10-2012, 12:14 PM
PP-Glad your feeling better. I use to write down everything I ate and added up the calories. I eat basically the same foods so I know the calories in them. I have concentrated on keeping better track of what I eat because I really need to get back on track.

HoosierMomma-Glad you had a great day yesterday. I have to keep away from the chocolate too. Definably a weak spot for me.

CANi2012-Glad you had a great day yesterday.

Andrew-Sounds like you are rocking your plan. Good job!!!

Natmars-I have been trying to stay out of the kitchen too. In fact, I retreated to my bed room at about 7:30 last night to keep myself from stuffing my face.

My Monday was ok. Food was pretty good and I have exercised both mornings this week. Trying to stay on track on day at a time.

kandyrews
01-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Got my treadmill on Friday...been on it everyday so far for 30 minutes. Eating better, but still struggling with it. And my motivation is already waning. Not wanting to get on the treadmill at all today, but going to make myself best I can.

andrew80k
01-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Got my treadmill on Friday...been on it everyday so far for 30 minutes. Eating better, but still struggling with it. And my motivation is already waning. Not wanting to get on the treadmill at all today, but going to make myself best I can.

Try skipping a day and doing something else. Zumba on youtube, walking the neighborhood, etc. Might help. I can't get on my treadmill every day either.

patchworkpenguin
01-10-2012, 01:16 PM
My eye specialist didn't find anything wrong with my eyes, yay, but now I'm dilated so everything up close, like the screen is blurry.

Going to try a little exercise today.

Kandy, I find my treadmill to be very boring, even with audio workouts or listening to music. Maybe try 2 20min workouts split up??

NE + Andrew, I don't feel I eat a lot of the same things, even though I probably do:dizzy:. I thought I was doing well, but the 2,306 day really threw me for a loop. Now I'm a little paranoid about how much I'm eating.

andrew80k
01-10-2012, 01:47 PM
NE + Andrew, I don't feel I eat a lot of the same things, even though I probably do:dizzy:. I thought I was doing well, but the 2,306 day really threw me for a loop. Now I'm a little paranoid about how much I'm eating.

Patch, what's your maintenance level? Was your 2306 day a reward day or include a reward meal, or was it just an ordinary day? If just another day you may need to re-evaluate your plan. ;)

Moondance
01-10-2012, 02:50 PM
but now I'm dilated so everything up close, like the screen is blurry.

Don't you just hate that? Once I tried shopping after having my eyes dilated. Couldn't read any of the price tags! Congrats on the clean bill of eye health!

Often our cravings are telling us something. Typically we crave the things we are missing from our diets. Particularly if you are not eating enough. I'm 1000 calories down per day from my maintenance level and the only time I get hungry is when I lose track of time and wait too long between meals. I actually don't crave anything, which is surprising considering that M&Ms (peanut) have been a staple for me for years. Seriously. Years.

Unfortunately, the only thing I'm craving is more chocolate! Now if they would add that to the latest nutritional pyramid or circle or whatever, I'd be all set!

Overall, I'm hanging in there. As NEMom says, One day at a time!

natamars
01-10-2012, 02:56 PM
I have managed to eat 400 calories in chocolate-covered peanuts at the office today. Done with them - so unnecessary.

I'm already at 1180 calories so I think I'm done for the day. I want to try up day down day but I have to prepare by getting some more filling, low calorie food. Planning to run on the treadmill tonight and work on my speed and a shorter run.

k, agree with everyone else, better for you overall to cross-train anyway.

NEMom, you're doing great! I shut myself in my bedroom by 6 last night, but my son and I played board games and read books in my bed :-)

andrew, that's great on the planning - for me that's more than half the battle.

CAN, yay!!

LAgreeneyes
01-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Hi everyone. I'm 45 with no kids, so I have no excuse not to get out there and exercise. I will be getting an elliptical on this weekend, so I my goal is to do the elliptical a minimum of 4 times a week.

I need to lose about 50 lbs. I have researched and have come up with a healthy grocery list. I plan on eating healthy and natural foods, cutting out all sugar. My new sweetner is local raw honey. My downfall is eating sweets. I love cookies, snack cakes and ice cream. I have no will power.

I am wanting to get on a 1500 calorie daily meal plan. So far, I have lost 14 lbs and just have 50 more to go.

I see the weight falling off but now I have to tighten up the middle section, so I'm looking for ab exercises that I can do to lose the tummy.

I look forward to the many posts on this thread.

patchworkpenguin
01-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Patch, what's your maintenance level? Was your 2306 day a reward day or include a reward meal, or was it just an ordinary day? If just another day you may need to re-evaluate your plan. ;)

I don't usually count cals and haven't counted anything for over a year. I did for a while and it really screwed me up; I wasn't happy, I was eating things I didn't like because they were low cal, and I felt very deprived.

2306 was just an ordinary weekend day {except the sick part} but I felt as if I had eaten a lot and had two of almost every meal:o. I don't do reward days/meals. This past month I've cut my portions but still ate what I liked. I'm trying the 'several small meals a day' again. Last time I tried this I felt like I was eating all the time and getting more obsessed with food. I've spent the last year working on my relationship with food more than weight loss. I felt that 'relationship' was at the heart of my weight problem and until I get in a better place, I couldn't lose weight and keep it off. In the middle of Nov I decided to try weight loss again. so I'm kinda feeling my way and seeing what works and what I feel comfortable with, I wouldn't say I have a plan that I follow, more like guidelines. I'm trying to go by hunger cues, then eat just enough. Little bit of trial and error, but I've had a 10lb loss so something seems to be working. hope that made some sense

ETA: proofreading & I had a thought. {nobody faint!} I think 2306 might have been more like what was a normal weekend day before the middle of Nov, but I actually felt I was doing well on that day until at the end of the day I looked it over to post and thought 'this can't be right".

HoosierMomma
01-10-2012, 08:55 PM
I finally found an ap that tracks my calorie intake and exercise and am blown away how many calories there are in the foods I eat. Let's just say I don't think I'm going to be eating any more Oreos anytime soon.

Anyway, I had a great workout today and feel great about what I ate today. I admit I'm frustrated with the scale not moving but I am losing inches so that helps. Ive been exercising for 3.5 weeks now and i feel great and have tons of energy.

I'm also excited to start my class at the YMCA on Thursday. It's called Lose 10 pounds in 10 weeks. I can't wait to meet with the trainer to get some feedback on my workout. Theresa

CANi2012
01-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Good job everyone!!! I worked out again today after working late I am beat!!! until tomorrow WORK IT!!!

patchworkpenguin
01-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Tues Jan 10
B= 2 c milk, vits, 1 c cereal, 1/2 milk
L= 1/2 Chickfila grilled wrap, 2 TB honey-mustard dressing, 1 choc pecan
D=Rachael Ray's Chicken Tortilla Soup + 13 tortilla chips
S= 2 sugar cookies,
E= 2 separate 25min Classical Stretch {stretch fusion workouts}

Calories = 962 Hmmm, may have a snack later. {had an apple +100}

Dispite the workouts I wasn't very active today. I went to the specialist, sat, got home, did a few loads of laundry, sat {hey, I just push a button not go beat clothes on a rock}, cooked dinner, sat, played on computer a lot, well, sitting. I feel much better but don't have a lot of energy, tire quickly, so the sitting is probably very good. At least I'm not napping all day anymore like last week. :D

Cani, good job with the workout.

Hoosier, That was my problem with counting cals, some things I just don't want to know. :o

needtolose2012
01-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Hi all! Just wanted to introduce myself! I'm a 42 year old married mom, my goal is to lose 50 lbs. I don't have a set date in mind but I'm hoping to lose 1.5-2 lbs per week. This is my Day 2. I'm new here and hope I can join this group also.. looking for motivational, inspirational and positive people to talk to!

I'm determined to change my life NOW!

Good Luck to all of you in 2012!

Current weight 197 - goal weight 145

shiningthru
01-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Hi there 40 and fabulous-ers :)

Just want to say hi. Ive been reading the past cpl days and haven't had a chance to post, so thx for the support to my last note.

Feeling a little "squirrelly" (sp?) today and tonight. Food has been pretty good, I know that Ive been tired today. I am trying to get my water in, that is one of the harder things for me to do when Im tired. So Ive had almost 3 liters today, and Im glad about that.

Did a alittle easier workout today since I was tired but I still did it and it felt good. Tonight I had 4 dark chocolate covered almonds, I dont have anymore so there is no risk of me eating anymore and I feel ok about having them.
6 days of clean eating as of today. Now just gotta keep it up so the weight can come off...
hope everyone had a good day

ladysheets
01-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Hey everybody, I am a 48 year old married woman living in alaska.I have 50 pounds to lose.I had lost 36 pounds and kept it off a year and a half . Then i had spinal surgery and have put a lot back on.
I live in a ski community but i dont ski so i bought myself a seasons pass for the fitness center and pool at our only hotel. Walked 1 mile last night on the TM. then swam and did a lot of water exercises.

I hope everyone has a great week. Sounds like we have some motivated people here ! thats great!

treadmiler
01-11-2012, 12:22 AM
Hi Gang! 45 year old widower here, type 2 diabetic. Started hitting the treadmill 3 times a week (hence the handle) for 30+ minutes a pop.

My diet is crap. Wayyyy too much fast food, especially for breakfast. Does nobody make a healthy-ish breakfast (that's not oatmeal - gag)?

shiningthru
01-11-2012, 02:23 AM
Im a big fan of greek yogurt. Its hard for me not to eat it for breakfast. Its also great for being on the go in the morning. Not much to prepare.

Sometimes I have Chobani greek yogurt lemon or pineapple mixed with plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese and other times I have Fage 2% or fat free with stevia and fruit.

Other breakfasts i like:

Omelette, 1 egg. 2 egg whites with veggies and cheese. With or without wholegrain toast, depending on food plan and hunger

or Ezekiel bread toast with almond butter and 1 small greek yogurt

Welcome new joiners!

andrew80k
01-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Still keeping on. I ate right, though I probably had a bit more of my DW's Bison Stew last night than I should, but I didn't want to leave half a serving in the container. So I'm a couple hundred calories over what I wanted to be yesterday. I did weight training on lower body and abs last night and I'm getting the weights dialed in so I hope to start making some strength progress in the coming weeks.

Patch I don't really count my calories so much as I track them. The difference is that when I'm getting my meals together and planning I don't add up the calories beforehand to decide what and when. I try to enter them as I eat them so I have a notion of what I've done and how much I have left to go. It's a worthwhile exercise to count them up from time to time as well as figure out your needs. Sometimes you can get off without realizing it. Also remember that your needs decrease as your weight does. I also eat every 3 hours whether I get hungry or not.

treadmiller Like shiningthru,I typically do a 3 egg omelet with one whole egg and 2 just whites and two pieces of whole grain wheat toast and some sort of fruit, usually banana or Apple. I skip the cheese though since I use cheese as a snack later. By the way, if you make your oatmeal right it's not so bad.

Welcome to the other newcomers. Glad you joined us.

chicklett
01-11-2012, 08:51 AM
*peeks around the corner* can i join too? :o

my valentine goals are also my all the time goals. i want to exercise more, stick with my healthy eating and finally lose this weight. i hate going into spring/summer being depressed and insecure. i start the beginning of the year saying 'this time it will be different' and and have all these great goals, but overtime they diminish. i dont even have a scale... LOL, so i dont really know my exact weight and honestly... i kind of like it that way, and thats a problem. i know i need one, it would help me stay on track and maybe even encourage me a little, too. anyway, here i am, and im ready to go! :sunny:

natamars
01-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Did OK on food yesterday once I put the chocolate covered peanuts down. It shouldn't amaze me anymore at 43, but I consumed 400 calories worth of the peanuts in about 5 minutes, and 45 hard minutes on the treadmill only burned 355. Ugh!!

I decided to have a snack once I got home because I was planning to run. I jogged 18 minutes at a 5-5.6mph pace, then ran 15 minutes at 6.0. I'm trying to add 1 mi per month at a 10 minute pace - my goal is to run a 5K in under 30 minutes this year.

Did the stairs by myself at work for 15-20 minutes also. Calories for the day were 1525.

andrew, what's your weight training schedule like? I've been neglecting strength the last few months in favor of cardio and need to find a way to get both in.

tread, welcome! Sorry, I love oatmeal..I make it baked though, in muffin tins. You add things like mashed banana, applesauce, blueberries, eggs, and milk and bake them as though they were muffins. I love it because I make a dozen on the weekend and my breakfasts are done for the week.

hello, lady! sounds like you had a great workout!

shining, everything sounds good!

need, welcome!

hoosier, you sound great!!!

andrew80k
01-11-2012, 11:02 AM
andrew, what's your weight training schedule like? I've been neglecting strength the last few months in favor of cardio and need to find a way to get both in.

I do 3-3-1. 3 days of cardio(M-W-F), 3 days weight training(T-Th-Sat), 1 day off. For weight training I do every other weight training day I rotate between upper and lower body. Last night I did Lower, tomorrow night, I'll do Upper. I do all the major muscle groups for each every time. Upper I do Chest, Shoulders, Back, Triceps, Biceps. Lower I do Quads, Hamstrings/Glutes, Calves, and that day I do abs as well. As I get more into it I'll actually rotate my abs to cardio days. And do something else those days. I want to add some P90X in later too, so that should be interesting.

shiningthru
01-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Morning folks

Getting ready to do my run and just thought i would say hello
Im recovering from an injury and seem to be getting stronger and stronger. I was sick at the end of november and acutally coughed a rib out! Yikes! Well, ive learned that a rib takes about 4 weeks to heal and its been kinda crazy how weak my whole back and body got. So the other day i was able to run 1 mile straight and then another mile with some walking in between and Im going to try to do that again today. Its been slower than I like to get my time and distance back but Im doing it :)

Natamars, your run plan inspires me!!
Also Nat, do you have a recipe for your oatmeal muffins?

Andrew, i had started working with a trainer doing some weights before the back thing happened and hope to get back to that too.

Patch, I like what you wrote about listening to your body, hunger cues etc and working on relationship with food vs dieting. Its a good topic. Also I like that you know what discourages you, ie the counting... Im like that with the scale right now, i know that if i get on before Im ready it will just make me feel bad. Anyway just my thoughts :)

Hope everyone is getting off to a good start today.

berryblondeboys
01-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Morning all. I'm feeling Bette and better as the holidays are finally behind us (went until January 8th in our house) and I'm back to normal eating and normal routines. Yay! As you can see by my chart. Eating carbs spikes the scale! (the 7th was orthodox Christmas and my husbands birthday and the 8th was a winter festival and my weight spiked up).

Doing a double class tonight at the gym. Hope it won't kill me as I am still getting back into the swing of things after taking the month of December off from the gym.

But you know.... Starting out this year with just 20-25 pounds to lose to get to goal is a lot better feeling than starting out the year knowing I wasn't going to hit my ultimate goal during the yearnlike last year. Even with the holiday gain, I can so do this!

patchworkpenguin
01-11-2012, 01:38 PM
I have more energy today but its cold and raining outside {which means it feels colder inside} and its supposed to snow tomorrow!!! Yuck! Why do we always get bad weather on the two days I week I have to leave the house early???:(

My anti-'formal exercise' Hubby texted me today and asked when we could do another one of my new workouts??? Yay, I'm converting him at last! He's always had physically demanding jobs but now has mostly desk/paper/computer work. {does paperwork still exsist?}

Berry, I'm glad you are feeling better and are much more positive about reaching your goal this year!

Shining, I did a banana-peel fall in Nov and thought I cracked a rib, there was no point in having it checked and nothing I could really do but be more gentle with myself and my workouts. I didn't see much point in working so hard to lose the weight while I *knew* I would just regain because of my food issues.

Natamars, it does seem unfair that its harder to lose weight than put it on.

Chicklett, I seem to remember you from before?? glad you are back.

Andrew, from your discription I was tracking calories. but I would usually end the day being over my goal or frusterated because I was at-goal and still hungry. I think I've decided I'm only going to keep track for a few days to see where I am. I tend to do this with the scale, also.

Treadmiller, Glad to have you join us! I don't really like breakfast in general and oatmeal in particular. My problem is I have to add so much stuff so I'll choke oatmeal down its no longer healthy. I do have some homemade oatmeal/bran muffins in the freezer for quick breakfasts. I'm currently eating cold cereal, which isn't that exciting, either.

Ladysheets, welcome, glad to have you join us! Your gym pass sounds great, especially the swimming. I used to swim a lot after classes in college. That's also when I was at my slimmest!

Need to lose, of course you are welcome here! I'm not very good at meeting specific set goals either, if I do set one than if I miss it I get discouraged.

andrew80k
01-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Andrew, from your discription I was tracking calories. but I would usually end the day being over my goal or frusterated because I was at-goal and still hungry. I think I've decided I'm only going to keep track for a few days to see where I am. I tend to do this with the scale, also.

Probably need to shake your food up a little bit then. Once you've tracked it for a few days look to where you are getting your calories from and see if you can substitute some stuff that will make you feel full while lowering your total a little. It might not take much to see a difference.

guacamole
01-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Hello, everyone! Just doing a quick check in. It's really nice to see so many active 40 somethings! It's also overwhelming to think about responding to everyone's posts individually, so know that I am reading, even if I don't comment!

I have been really down since the end of last week with a family issue. I hope and pray that this issue will be resolved, and my husband and I are taking active steps to resolve it (it's not a marital issue), however, I tend to fall into depressions when a crisis hits. I have been in bed practically all day, even though it is a nice and sunny day outside. I have a lot of things to do, but am just getting the minimum done.

It's all I can do not to binge on comfort food, but I am proud to say that I have stayed on track, foodwise. Right now, my main goal is not to do any emotional eating.

I wish everyone a successful day!

NEMom
01-11-2012, 03:22 PM
My food was okay yesterday. Probably ate more at dinner than I should have, not a surprise since nighttime eating is something that I seriously need to work on.
I am suppose to start my first bootcamp like class tonight. Should be interesting just hope I do not hurt myself.
Sounds like you are all doing well on your plans.
Happy hump day!

patchworkpenguin
01-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Hello, everyone! Just doing a quick check in. It's really nice to see so many active 40 somethings! It's also overwhelming to think about responding to everyone's posts individually, so know that I am reading, even if I don't comment!

Guac, Don't feel that you have to respond to everyone every time you post. We won't be offended! :hug:

Ne, take it easy the first time and be sure to modify if necessary!

Andrew, I just don't want to over think my eating.

andrew80k
01-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Andrew, I just don't want to over think my eating.

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm just thinking that maybe if there were some obvious quick changes you could make to get it down a bit it might help get you going.

patchworkpenguin
01-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. I'm just thinking that maybe if there were some obvious quick changes you could make to get it down a bit it might help get you going.

After a year of trying to lose something, anything!, I'm just glad I've finally had a loss over the past 1.5 month.

patchworkpenguin
01-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Wed, Jan 11
B= 2 c milk, 1 c cereal, 1/2 c milk 287
L= 1/2 Longhorn Fontina Chicken sand 340
S= 1/2 apple + 2TB PB 250
D= serving homemade Easy Chicken Potpie 350
S= last sliver of pumpkin pie:(, 2 Lindor Truffles 150
S= grapes 62
E= 25min Classical Stretch

Calories = 1590

I have an early morning tomorrow, and I'm subbing for another leader at Bible study; I'm not crazy about speaking in public but I've gotten much better at it in the last year. Practice helps.

NE, how was the bootcamp?

andrew80k
01-12-2012, 07:58 AM
2271 calories in, 3205 calories out, yesterday. Mixed up my run yesterday a little. I think I'm starting to adjust and get some stamina back. It's slow, but at 45 I should expect it to be slower than when I was 25. 2.75 miles in 30 minutes. I did 10 minutes at 5.0, 10 minutes at 5.5, and 10 minutes back at 5.0. Going to the beach this weekend to hang out with my family. I'm looking forward to getting away for a few days.

NEMom
01-12-2012, 09:56 AM
PP - Bootcamp was pretty good. The cardo exercises were hard to keep up with but for the most part I felt like I did pretty well for a 42 year old lady. I am going to try to go 2-3 times a week on top of my regular exercises I do at home. I am hoping mixing it up and adding new exercises will help me get the remaining pounds off and build some muscle in my fat flabby thighs. I can hope anyway.

Andrew - good job on the running. Cardio is definitely something I need to work on.

The one benefit to exercising after work was it helped to suppress my apatite so I did not eat all evening long at home. My scale was finally back down to 156 (same as my ticker) after being up up up the last month. Hope this is a good sign.

natamars
01-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Yesterday went pretty well - did the stairs at work, body sculpting class, calories at 1335. Still eating too much sugar and processed food in my snacks, which I will keep in mind as I shop and plan next week's menus.

NEMom, that's awesome on the boot camp. I wish my gym had that class! I bet you will see a big change if you go 2-3 times a week.

andrew, were you a runner before? I did the corporate challenge once in my 20's, mostly for the barhopping afterward. I just started again about a year ago and I'm really enjoying it(most of the time). I don't expect to ever get fast - if I can get average under a 10 minute mile on 5-10K's I'll be happy. Have you signed up for any races? They're really motivating!!

pp, your pb calories sound high - think it's more like 190 calories in 2T? I love how you write everything out - I'm doing that in my journal and it's helping.

guac, hope things turn around for you soon...sorry you're dealing with tough times right now.

kandyrews
01-12-2012, 12:06 PM
I've been on my treadmill everyday since I bought it last Friday, so six days straight. I'm not that great today, so decided this would be the day I take off, but I feel so guilty just for taking this one day off.

andrew80k
01-12-2012, 02:08 PM
andrew, were you a runner before? I did the corporate challenge once in my 20's, mostly for the barhopping afterward. I just started again about a year ago and I'm really enjoying it(most of the time). I don't expect to ever get fast - if I can get average under a 10 minute mile on 5-10K's I'll be happy. Have you signed up for any races? They're really motivating!!

I've never really considered myself a "runner" in the sense that I think you mean. I was an officer in the Air Force for four years, and I "had" to run. I say it that way because I didn't have to run as much as I did, but we were required to run a timed 1.5 m every year. The last couple of years I was in, I decided to actually prepare for it and started running at the gym every other day. I worked in a multi-service environment and ran with some Army guys. They had to do 2 milers every 6 months. It kind of took off as a competition between us to see who could do the 2 mile fastest. Their requirements were much more stringent than ours, but I would regularly beat them. From there I started working on 5k's and I would run 5k every other day. Some days I could actually run a 5k and finish faster than the guys doing a 2-mile. I got all the way down to doing sub-20 minute 5k's, before I got out. I never really had any desire to run farther though. I like to run harder, not necessarily farther. My goal right now is sub-30 minute 5k. Once I'm able to do that regularly I might try to do some races.

traveling michele
01-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Hi all. Sorry I haven't checked in. Been a rough few days with dh being gone (business travel), older dd home from college and not getting along with younger dd.... Sigh....

At least I've exercised and eaten well, though I've certainly been tempted not to.

I'll try to check in again soon.....

Moondance
01-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Happy Thursday!

Just a quick fly-by to read everyone's post and say hi. Hope you're all having an OP day!

shiningthru
01-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Hey there
Just thought I would check in here today. Having kinda a down day today, stuff going on in a relationship that has been hard. Tried not to let my emotions eat lunch for me and just stay conscious of what I was eating. Ive done well on my food and exercise for over a week now, so that is good. Did another 2 miles running yesterday and then walked some and today it was a little lighter.

Im taking tmrw off of exercise, give my body a break, Sunday will normally be my day off, but I have to be out of the house tmrw and so it just works for me this week. Haven't started back to my hiking routine, but I can tell that Im getting stronger on the treadmill and that my cardiovascular endurance is increasing.

Andrew Im wondering what formula or BMI/BMR calculator you use to figure out what your body needs each day? A lot of times when I start back on a healthy eating plan again, I tend to under eat a little bit for a couple of days and keep it "super" clean. I think it helps me not slip back into the food for the first few days or so. Its gone on a little longer this time than I would like and so Im consciously increasing the calories today and just thought I would talk about it a little and find out a good formula that works and is healthy. Thanks :)

guacamole
01-12-2012, 06:39 PM
On track today with my eating. This is the first time in years that I have had an emotional crisis and haven't eaten my way through it. It's progress!!

Good luck, everyone.

patchworkpenguin
01-12-2012, 08:55 PM
The electricity must have blinked last night because the computer kept telling me the ISP was down, my brilliant Hubby got home from work and fixed it. Something about the modem, whatever...

It snowed a little today more of flurries. The sun came out after I got home from Bible Study, but the temps are dropping {20's tonight}. I took 2 naps today, and felt much better after the second one.

Natamars, Thanks for keeping an eye on me. I tend to round up a bit because I'm so bad at math.:o The 250 included 50 cals for the apple and 200 for the PB.

Back later.

patchworkpenguin
01-13-2012, 12:52 AM
Thurs, Jan 12
B= 2 c milk, vits, 1 c cereal, 1/2 c milk
L= Rafferty's ~ 1/2 Bacon cheeseburger, 1/2 sweet potato
S= cheese, 2 Lindor truffles {again, not together;)}
D= Baked potato, leftover Tortilla soup, cheese, tortilla chips
S= apple
E= none.

I'm not feeling as well today as I have the past few days. I'm tired of being sick!

Guac, great job on your improved coping skills! :dance:

Shining, I like your phrase "let emotions eat lunch for me" How true that can be! Hope your situation improves.

Michele, Hope things quiet down for you. My sis and I never got along and it drove my parents nuts. :dizzy:

Kandy, good job keeping up with the exercise.

NE, Glad you liked the class! As you know I workout to videos. Sometimes I'll put in a workout by a perky 20-something who's been active all her life {unlike me!} and I'm trying to follow her moves, and she doesn't have a clue what its like to be unfit, inflexible, and just plain tired, and I feel so old and out of shape! However, I do feel {and am!} more fit in my 40's than I was in my 30's! Goes to show what exercise can do for a body.

Andrew, the beach sounds wonderful! and warm!

shiningthru
01-13-2012, 02:09 AM
Hi thx Patch that situation really got me down today. Its been super hard not to over eat. But Im hanging in here. I think also when Im getting back on track here the self esteem stuff kicks in about the weight gain, so I need to do all i can to keep my spirits up :)

Also i forgot Andrew, that you may be at the beach already. If so enjoy!

andrew80k
01-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Andrew Im wondering what formula or BMI/BMR calculator you use to figure out what your body needs each day? A lot of times when I start back on a healthy eating plan again, I tend to under eat a little bit for a couple of days and keep it "super" clean. I think it helps me not slip back into the food for the first few days or so. Its gone on a little longer this time than I would like and so Im consciously increasing the calories today and just thought I would talk about it a little and find out a good formula that works and is healthy. Thanks :)

I've used a few of them to average them out. I used Tony Horton's from P90X, but I modified it a bit based on the logic he uses. I also calculated it using a couple of the free sites out there, just to make sure I was in the ballpark. I do the same as you. I try to under eat a little, change what I'm consuming. Most of the things I eat when I switch to a healthy lifestyle, I eat anyway, I just eat more of it and cut out the junk. No fast food, no sugar, no processed foods. I keep this up for a while to "cleanse" a little. After a while I don't really miss all that junk and I can maybe ease in a reward meal here and there. Stuff I like but just can't eat all time. My first one in 2 weeks will be tomorrow night. I've eaten clean the whole time. :dancer:

Oh and I head to the beach this afternoon. :)

andrew80k
01-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Well, I discovered something a bit unsettling yesterday. I use an after workout recovery drink, and I don't know why but I wasn't putting it in my food diary. I looked at it and it's a whopping 220 calories. So now I have to make room for it or stop doing it.

Anyway, I ate 2076 calories and burned 3200, that includes the recovery drink. :) I did upper body last night, I really dialed up the weights too and I am feeling it today. Since I'm traveling to the beach tonight, I got up early and got my run in. 10 minutes at 5 mph, 10 minutes at 5.5, 5 minutes a 6, and 5 minutes back at 5. 2 and 3/4 miles in 30 minutes. Now I'm tired, but I got it in.

NEMom
01-13-2012, 12:09 PM
It is Friday. Yippee!

PP - I am getting in better shape in my 40's than I ever have been in my life too. Have to admit that the back of my legs hurt today still. I have been continuing my regular exercises but not pushing too hard. Ouchie, sitting all day is tough.

My NSV today is that my body must be changing some because my jeans are getting baggy in the front, even though the scale is not wooshing down.

Food this week has been okay. Hoping I do not blow it totally this weekend. I tend to let loose too much on the weekends. Going to work on staying on track this weekend.

Hope you all have a good on plan one.

LAgreeneyes
01-13-2012, 12:19 PM
I will be getting my elliptical tomorrow and I am so excited to begin my journey to a healthy lifestyle.

patchworkpenguin
01-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Greeneyes, welcome, glad to have you join us.

traveling michele
01-13-2012, 01:10 PM
It is Friday. Yippee!

PP - I am getting in better shape in my 40's than I ever have been in my life too.

Me too! I started my journey shortly after my 40th birthday. I decided I'd rather be fit and forty, then fat and forty. Now I get amazing comments occasionally, like "you are an athlete"-- it blows my mind still. The other week the instructor in a class I was taking asked if she could embarrass me. I didn't know what she talking about, but she then showed the whole class my inner thigh muscles!

Happy Friday!:carrot::carrot:

LAgreeneyes
01-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Greeneyes, welcome, glad to have you join us.

Thank you very much. I am so happy to be here. :carrot:

berryblondeboys
01-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Gals and fellas, I am so flipping sore from strength training two days ago and yoga last night, so much so that I didn't go to step class today, I was hobbling when I walked. Egad.... Why can't we tell we are overdoing it while we arer doing it?

shiningthru
01-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Howdy folks
Welcome Greeneyes and congrats on gettin ur elyptical. I have a treadmill at home and it is so convenient!

Ok... TravelingMichelle Right on! That is so great, good for you. So... I am about the same height and close to the same goal weight and Im wondering how you did it? What worked best, helped the most etc. if you care to post about it.

Doing ok today. I ate out today for the first time since I started. It was a little challenging, but I did great! Today is day 10. Also took today off of exercise to rest my body. I think this coming week Im going to try to keep increasing my performance with running. Ive was able to do 2 miles a couple times last week and the first mile was without stopping then walked a min and ran 1/2 and then the other half etc, so may try to increase something in there in time or performance.

PP I tried a new exercise tape, jackie warner, I think. It was on sale at target so I thought I would give it a try. Im pretty new to exercise videos (other than the Jane Fonda Workout I did as a kid, lol) but it was cool bc you can choose 15 min or 45 min, total body or abs etc. Anyway... we shall see.

Great job NEmom and BBB on ur workouts!

And thx Andrew I will figure out what I need to do, i think with one of the online calculators. I think Im pretty close.

natamars
01-14-2012, 09:34 AM
I did pretty well yesterday until about 1 this morning, when I couldn't sleep and ate my leftover gnocchi from lunch, and then some cold sesame noodles from my family's Chinese dinner, which I otherwise did not partake in. I had a planned rest day(other than doing the stairs for 20 minutes at work)and a planned off meal(my boss was in town and took me to lunch). Too many carbs yesterday so I'm avoiding the scale for a few days. I was down .4 lbs. last week , but my week was really only 5 days. Going forward my official weigh-ins will be Fridays.

shining, great job with the running. I have 2 goals this year - to increase my speed on my 5K and to complete a half-marathon. So I try to do one short run where I work on speed, a long one where I increase distance, and the third is either hills or interval.

berry, I hear you! My abs are still sore this morning from Wednesday night's strength training. Hope you're feeling better today.

greeneyes, welcome! I really like the elliptical - hope you enjoy yours! Keep us posted on your workouts.

NEMom, hope your weekend goes well. I think you're heading for a whoosh soon!

andrew, I hate when that happens! At least now you know and can decide if it's worth the calories.

pp, hope you're feeling better!!

kandyrews
01-14-2012, 12:02 PM
I like this saying by Sharecare on Facebook... "Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." ~ Jim Ryan. Strive for progress, not perfection with your health goals.

patchworkpenguin
01-15-2012, 12:16 AM
We slept really late this morning, then took the dog to the park for a bit, went to the grocery store, then I came home and napped on the couch; I guess I overestimated my energy. After feeling pretty bad for the past few days I'm back to feeling better again but no where near 100%:(

natamars
01-15-2012, 06:43 AM
Yetserday was really, really tough. I'm been having problems at home and it all kind of came to a head yesterday. I was unable to eat for most of the day, but finally got shaky and had to have something. I ended up at about 1350 calories for the day, and am proud that they were mostly healthy. I did not feel up to my run, though.

I know I'm in for rough times ahead - my diet and exercise may be the only things I can control, so I am going to do my best.

patchworkpenguin
01-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Well, I woke up feeling much better! Hubby is still asleep but he mumbled that he didn't feel very well. I hope this isn't like last year when we kept passing 'the cold' back and forth. Its still in the 30's outside but the sun is shining!

I joined April outside and we played a gentle game of fetch for a few minutes. One of the reasons she hurt her leg in the first place is she has two speeds; asleep and dead run, she tries to grab the toy as she's racing past, but if she misses she tries to stop on a dime before someone else gets her toy. Silly dog!

Natamars, I hope today is better for you!

chicklett
01-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Patch: im kind of new here, i joined in November as a first timer. :)

patchworkpenguin
01-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Chicklett, I thought I recognized your avatar. I see a ballerina dancing in the truck and branches. Glad to have you back.

I did a 25min stretch fusion workout that wore me out! Hubby's up but not feeling great either. We are having a cuddling on the couch watching tv day.

mom2sweetT
01-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Hi- I'd like to join the 40's group. I'm new here and have hit rock bottom. I haven't weighed in yet so I don't have my stats on my profile but I'd like to loose 100 lbs. My husband and I just became first time parents to a beautiful 7 yr old girl (at the age of 46!). It's been quite a transition and I am finding I have no energy to keep up with her!
So now it's time to bite the bullet and get things right before I hit 50. I want to be around for my family and I've got diabetes staring me down on both sides of the family. Would love to get rid of the pain in my feet and knees, do away with the BP meds and just get healthy once and for all.
I will be starting Medifast as soon as my food comes in and plan on being on it just to get a boost on the weight loss. I'm a former chef and love to cook and use high quality food so eating all the packaged food does not sit well with me. I figure I'll use it to get my portion control going and to boot the metabolism into gear, then I'll probably go into whole foods/calorie counting for life.
I'm so glad I found this site b/c it sounds like it can be supportive and there's lots of good info from people who are and have succeeded with the beast of weight loss. :smug:

patchworkpenguin
01-16-2012, 12:41 AM
Sun Jan 15
B= 1 c cereal, 1/2 c milk,
L= 2 slices homemade pizza, grapes, apple juice
D= Cracker Barrel ~ 2 eggs, 2 turkey sausage, 1 1/2 pancake with peach topping
S=apple juice
E= 25min stretch fusion workout

Hubby wanted pancakes, but I brought half my pancakes home for breakfast tomorrow. I"m so happy that I felt well enough to be able to do a workout! We did end up going a few places. Hubby was delighted that he bought a belt in a smaller size because of the weight he had lost!

Berry, Hope you are feeling and walking better now.:hug:

Shining, I have one of Jackie's, its a good workout. Great job on your running!

Kandy, great quote!

Mom2, welcome, glad to have you join us! When I first started to lose weight Hubby and I bought a bunch of Healthy Choice frozen dinners, and ate them for about a month, prehaps not the greatest method but it did teach us portion control! I enjoy cooking, and I'm trying to make better, healthier meals for us, but in smaller portions.

andrew80k
01-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Had a good weekend at the beach hanging out with the family. Didn't do as well on the plan as I would have liked. My favorite place was closed for the season so that put me a bit off on the plan and I ended up eating a little looser than I planned. Not terrible, but not as clean as I would have liked. I didn't keep track of my calories, and I have little hope of being able to recreate them, and that may be a good thing. :censored:

Anyway, back on the plan today. Lost 1.8 pounds last week, so still progressing. Almost 9 pounds down from start. :carrot:

Nat Hang in there. Hope things get better for you.

LAgreeneyes
01-16-2012, 09:59 AM
I got my elliptical and I started using it on Saturday. I only did 30 minutes but I felt good. I will try to exercise at least 5 times a week. I ended my 30 day juice cleanse on yesterday and I had a total weigh loss of 20 lbs. Now, I'm back to eating food. I will document to make sure that I am not getting too many calories. I'm going with the 1500 calorie plan.

cinlo
01-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Hi! I'd like to join in and make myself more accountable.
I'm ready to make a big effort to lose weight this year. I'd like to lose 63 pounds but will be happy with 40.
After years of infertility, then a surprising 2 pregnancies 19 months apart, becoming a stay at home mom, and dealing with health issues then the unexpected death of my dad, I just got overwhelmed with life and let myself go. It's still hard to see myself as overweight until I see photos - UGH!
I want to get healthier for myself, my husband, and my kids! I'll probably go back to work teaching in the fall, and I need to be healthier for that, too.
I'm working on staying within a 1400-1600 calories/day goal and drinking at least 64 oz. of water each day. I need to add exercise into my daily routine and not offer up excuses why I didn't do it that day.
I want to get back to feeling healthy and attractive.
So far, I've lost 3 lbs. since Dec. 28, and I'm determined to keep going down!

patchworkpenguin
01-16-2012, 10:43 AM
I feel almost normal today, but still have a lingering cough but I think its mostly sinus related. Cinnamon bread and laundry today and hopefully a workout or two!

Andrew, it sounds like you had a great time in spite of the challenges.

Cinlo, welcome, glad to have you join us. Sounds like you have a great plan in place.

Greeneyes, great job on the 20lb loss. 30min is a good place to start to get yourself going. I like to split my workouts up during the day, so there's less dread factor for 1 long workout.

LAgreeneyes
01-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Greeneyes, great job on the 20lb loss. 30min is a good place to start to get yourself going. I like to split my workouts up during the day, so there's less dread factor for 1 long workout.

Thank you and thank you for the tip about splitting up the workouts. Great idea!!! I will do that as well. :carrot:

chicklett
01-16-2012, 12:44 PM
thanks, Patch. :wave:

im doing pretty good sticking to my goals even without a scale, though i need to pick up my exercise some more. i think cutting out (mostly) white flour was such a good decision for me as i feel so much better. i still give myself that one day a week where i can have a few things i like, otherwise i feel too deprived. i've noticed though that even when i 'splurge' i dont go too far overboard. maybe i really am making it work this time. :sunny:

guacamole
01-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Quick check-in. My eating hasn't been great this week because of some out of the ordinary company/activities/dinners. It's nice to see family and friends, but not so nice in the "staying on plan" department. I always tell myself that I will resist temptations or ordering badly at restaurants, but usually fail. I did some things right, like bringing along my own salads, but still....I am not looking forward to weighing in at the end of the week. I have a sore throat and runny nose, so, I hope I don't get a full blown cold in addition to eating badly. The good news is that I did get some exercise in.

Hope everyone is doing well.

CANi2012
01-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Got some exercise in and eating is getting better everyday....this is a lifetime change so GOD is still working on me... I am feeling good and up on my game.

natamars
01-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Doing OK the last few days calorie-wise, too many bad carbs though. Today was a good exercise day - went ice skating with my son for 90 minutes or so(took some breaks in there) and then did an hour body sculpting class. Yesterday I ran less than 2 miles before the cold was hurting me so badly I went home.

I've made a salad, vegetable soup, and oatmeal to get me through the workweek. I have flatout bread, turkey, and hummus for sandwiches too, and plain Chobani and trail mix for snacks. Just need to stop the eating early and keep the calories down and I should be OK.

Time for bedtime stories, will catch up on everyone's notes later.

patchworkpenguin
01-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Jan 16, Mon
B= 2 c milk, vits
Brunch= 1.5 pancakes, syrup, whipped cream
Lunch =1 c chili, 1/2 sweet potato, 6 chips
S= more chips and salsa
D= Italian chicken pasta w veggies {experimental cooking}
S= 3 small slices Banana bread
S= 2 slices cinnamon bread
E= 2 25min stretch fusion workouts

Hubby doesn't like to leave things to the last minute, so he comes home today with 12 roses, a Valentines day card {with penguins on it}, and two small loaves of banana bread. He doesn't want to forget to get me something, so he's very early. I seem to remember him doing this last year too.

I felt my eating was okay until I opened the banana bread, then it was downhill. The cinnamon bread was fresh from the oven so I might be given some slack there, lol.

Chicklett, my secret is out. I pay more attention to avatars than I do names! The pictures are so big and pretty!

Natamars, that was a lot of exercise!

CanI, glad you are feeling so positive!

Guacamole, I hope you are feeling better soon and don't get sick! My eating wasn't very good today either!

patchworkpenguin
01-16-2012, 11:44 PM
double post

andrew80k
01-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Back on plan yesterday. About 2100 calories in, and 3200 out. I ran just over 2.75 miles. 10 minutes at 5.0, 10 minutes at 5.5, 5 minutes at 6.0 and 5 minutes at 5.5. Still trying to go harder. I didn't eat anything that's not in my plan and I'm feeling pretty good. The trip to the beach was great, but I have to figure out how to stay on plan when I'm down there. DW and DDs not helping with that.

Welcome to the newcomers, you've come to the right place.

Patch You know you can have SOME banana bread, you just can't have ALL the banana bread. :D

Nat Make sure you are getting plenty of rest.

patchworkpenguin
01-17-2012, 11:36 AM
My abs and back are sore from yesterdays workout! I'm supposed to clean house but I think I'll just vacuum and put the rest off until I have more energy. Its warmed up to 68* outside but raining on and off.

NEMom
01-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Read through all the posts and it sounds like you all are doing a great job!

I am feeling really frustrated today. Last week the scale was down to where it was before my holiday free for all and now it is back up a pound when I have been trying really hard to eat well and exercise. Ugh. Just really tired of it today. Usually, I can get my focus but its just not working today. To top that off, I must have pinched a muscle in when I was lifting weights this morning and it really hurts.
Enough of my whining. Wishing you all the best!

guacamole
01-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Just want to pop in and say hello and great job and thank you, etc.! You all give me such inspiration to keep trying - every person who posts here makes me feel less alone, so thank you!

My eating and exercise was not great today - well, no exercise (although I am sore from yesterday and I haven't felt sore from exercise in a long time - oddly enough, I want more of this feeling!) and my eating has been - eh! Could be better could be worse. Will be a crazy 2 weeks - this week and next - for family reasons. I will try to stay on track...

Thanks for being here and good luck to everyone!

patchworkpenguin
01-17-2012, 11:55 PM
Tues, Jan 17
B=1 c cereal, vits, 1/2 c milk
S= 1 apple + 2 TB PB
D=1/2 homemade burger, homemade sweet potato fries, 1 slice Coconut bread
S= 1 c cereal, 1/2 c milk, 1 oz cheese {not together!}
E=I also did another 25min stretch fusion. Loved that one. Started out with an active warm up, moved into barre type legwork, then into upper body stretches.

I made Coconut bread today. Yummy! And my house smells amazing! I decided to halve the glaze recipe next time because I thought it made way too much.

Right= didn't emotional eat when I wanted too!

Regret= I let something silly upset me, so then just lazed on the couch when I could have been up and doing something, worse yet, it turns out I jumped to a wrong conclulsion so I was upset for nothing. :o

Guac, I've been feeling pretty alone too, so I'm glad you are here also! :hug: Hope your week isn't as crazy as you expect.

NE, we all have off days, whine away, that's what we are here for! Sorry to hear about the muscle; Try to keep stretching so it won't stiffen up and ice/heat is always a big help for me. you get a :hug:, too!

shiningthru
01-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Hi there

Just thought I would post a lil tonight. Im having a kinda hmfp! day. I think Im feeling physically depleted and kinda antsy at the same time. Tried having dinner out bc i was just needing to change it up a bit and then I didnt really like it or feel full, I think it was also due to the depleted feeling. I still did fairly well, just didnt love it and so then felt like having something else. But I didnt. Just an orange. Now gna take a bath and hopefully have a better day tmrw.

Patch, ur coconut bread sounds yummy as well as ur sweet potato fries. I love cooking! (most of the time :)) I made some homemade dark chocolate the other day... I know, right... Its the way I get some coconut oil into my diet, I use stevia and I really like it.

NE hope ur muscle is feeling better and good luck Guac with ur family stuff the next couple weeks Gnight all

Sparx
01-18-2012, 02:58 AM
Hi I'm turning 40 in two weeks so would love to join you guys, my plan is leading a healthier life style, eating less moving more and staying positive :D

natamars
01-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Still hanging in there. I had 1450 calories.would like to get it closer to 1200. Still too much sugar but better on the procesed foods overall - eating my homemade vegetable soup every day for lunch with some chick peas for protein, and oatmeal and fruit every morning. 45 minutes on the treadmill. Still sore from Monday's body sculpting, so will not do that class tonight, probably just the elliptical and maybe some upper body work.

welcome, sparx!! What a great birthday gift you are giving yourself by starting here!

shining, I know that feeling! Hope you're getting some good sleep and that today is better for you.

pp, what is this coconut bread you speak of? I love coconut anything!!

guac, as long as you are being mindful, you're succeeding..keep posting!

NEMom, the unexplained gain is frustrating!! Trying to lose an extra 10 is very hard and can take a long time. Maybe you are retaining from the boot camp classes though?

andrew, do you get to go to the beach a lot? Can you get some extra/different exercise there that might offset the extra calories?

Have a great day everyone!

andrew80k
01-18-2012, 08:04 AM
I'm staying on track. I had a little over 2300 calories though, which is a little higher than my average. Still under my maintenance and well under my output of 3200. I didn't eat anything I shouldn't and I got my upper body workout in. I'm really trying to dial up the weights and push myself.

Nat Normally I don't go very often, but we recently moved and are now within driving distance so I'm hoping to be able to go more often. I do have access to a basic gym when I'm there. I just have to use it.

Patch Coconut bread sounds delightful. Can you email me some? :D

Shining Winter blahs setting in, maybe. Maybe take a day off and get some rest. Rejuvenate for the next phase.

Welcome, Sparx.

NE Nothing worse than getting hurt when you are trying to get back on track. Take care of yourself.

patchworkpenguin
01-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Its 27* outside and the windchill is 20*. Arrrgggghhhh! How many sweaters is that going to take????

Andrew, I could try scanning it...if I knew how to use the scanner. How about the recipe instead??

Sparx, welcome, glad to have you join us!

Natamars, your veggie soups sounds very good.

Shining. I have stevia and put it in my coffee, when I drink it. I haven't quite caught on to using it in anything else, such as baking. I think I did cut out some recipes that uses it. Maybe I should check out the website???

patchworkpenguin
01-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Coconut Bread
Mix together:
2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup oil
4 eggs
2 tsp. coconut extract

Add:
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts

Pour batter into two bread pans. Bake at 325 degrees for one hour. Poke holes in bread with a toothpick while loaves are still warm.

Glaze:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp. margarine
1 tsp. coconut extract

Heat glaze ingredients in a saucepan, and pour over warm bread after holes are poked in it.

I got the recipe from a woman here at Chicks. I subbed 1/2 cup applesauce for 1/2 the oil and next time will only make half the glaze.

NEMom
01-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Still feeling blah and very tired today. I am going to bootcamp exercise class tonight. Don't really feel like it but have all day to psych myself up and I know I need to go.

Sparx - Welcome! So glad that you have joined us.

P&P- I wish I had your kitchen skills. I HATE HATE HATE to cook and bake. My DH does all most all of the cooking at our house, thank god. I want to give you BIG kuddos for not emotionally eating when you wanted to. I have this problem and know it is very hard to resist and overcome. Extra high fives to you!

Shining - I am sharing your blahs the last couple of days. Try to stay focused, that is what I am working on. Tomorrow will be better, right? and we will fell so much better tomorrow if we stay on track today.

Natmars- Great job on staying committed with your eating and exercising!!! Dedication girl, that will get the job done.

Andrew-I am always impressed by your dedication to exercise and keeping your diet on track. Great Job!!

Happy Wednesday All!!!

patchworkpenguin
01-18-2012, 01:12 PM
NE, Thank you for the kudos. I can say I've been working on my emotional eating off and on for the past 10 years and finally feel like I'm making real progress! I was watching a cooking show where the chef talked about 'using cooking/baking as a stress reliever" and I thought "okay, I can understand that...its the part about not sitting down afterwards and eating EVERYTHING that I have the problem with!"

Thankfully most of the coconut bread was eaten! and I got compliments and requests for the recipe.

ladysheets
01-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Hi everybody just thought i would post and say what a good week i have been having. staying on plan.Had my 3 month post op appt today and im doing really well. I had spinal fusion surgery in october. Im swiming and walking a mile on the treadmill right now. feels great !
Enjoy the rest of the week. Ladysheets

patchworkpenguin
01-18-2012, 11:26 PM
I've been a baaaad Penguin today!:o

Wed, Jan 18
B=1 c cereal, 1/2 c milk, vits
L= 1/2 burger, 1 slice coconut bread, 2x2" slice choc cake
{and it all went downhill from here!}
D= turkey, dressing, gravy, more coconut bread
S=5 choc Dove + PB
S= tortilla chips and refried bean dip {I maintain the insanity is TOM related!}
E= 25min cardio, 50min Classical Stretch

At least I tried some cardio, I did okay but coughed a lot so I cut that part short. I did do all 75min consecutively, so that's a feather in my...well, penguin!

Ladysheets, how wonderful that you have recovered so well! Glad to have you check in!

shiningthru
01-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Hi friends

Welcome Sparx good for you. This is great place to stay motivated and connected. Glad ur here.

Thanks so much everyone for the support about yesterday. I may have needed to take today off of exercise but I didnt really know it til I started so I shortened the workout. I thought, with my strange meal and food cravings last night, it was a little safer for me to move even if just a little bit today to start the day on that note. And then... tonight I treated myself to a MASSAGE!
yahoo. It felt really good.

Patch... Im a big fan of stevia. I use a liquid vanilla cream stevia in my coffee and it is so good! :) Glad ur coco bread was a big hit.

Ladysheets,so great about ur body healing, yay!

Nat thx i did get some sleep last night and now with the massage Im hoping for more :)

Andrew, yeah myb some blas going on. Ive been hitting it pretty hard for about two weeks now. Ive taken days off, but not much. Today is 15 days back on track i think, with food and exercise. Im not doing too much in general but a lot compared to what I was doing. I had an injury going on. So its good to get the feedback and support to rest when needed. thx

gnight 40 somethings! Sweet dreams!

andrew80k
01-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Yesterday I was really tired. My day off isn't until Sunday. Not sure I'm going to make it. We'll see. Stayed on plan with 2300 calories in, and 3200 calories out. Got my run in but since I was so tired I didn't push myself too much. Ran 2.6 miles in 30 minutes. Was glad I did it but was dragging after. Took forever to loosen up and then was hard to get the last 5 or so minutes in. Got more sleep last night, but am still feeling a little tired today. Lower body tonight so that will help.

Patch You were a bad penguin yesterday. Hope you enjoyed. Now get back to it. :)

Shining Take care of yourself. Get some rest if you need it.

NE Hope you got through your boot camp class. It's good for you.

NEMom
01-19-2012, 12:02 PM
I did survive boot camp class. Worked on arms and shoulders last night and I really thought I would be more sore today. Going back tonight for more.
Did not have a great food day yesterday, ate too much dinner and ate over my calories for the day.
PP- Glad everyone enjoyed your bread. Even though you had a bad day, sounds like your back on track. Just brush it off, we all have them.

Shining and Andrew-Wonder if something is in the air, we are all so tired this week. We need a vacation and I need someone to pay for it. lol.

It is cold here today. Woke up to 4 degrees, -13 was the actual temp. BRRR!

kandyrews
01-19-2012, 01:33 PM
So disappointed! I was on the treadmill walking/jogging everyday except one this past week, worked out with weights 2 days and kept my calories below 1350 and didn't lose a single pound. :-( I worked so hard. I went from doing nothing to doing all this in a week and nothing. It's times like these I want to just quit.

patchworkpenguin
01-19-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm trying to be a better Penguin today! They needed help with the 3yr olds in Bible study so I volunteered. They have so much energy! I got compliments from the other teachers on how well/quickly I could get up off the floor, lol. Good to know exercise is good for something!

Kandy, I know its difficult to work so hard and then not see a loss, but keep at it, every good choice brings us closer to success.

NE, its warmer here today and the sun is shining which makes a big difference.

Andrew, hope you get your energy back.

Shining, your massage sounds wonderful.

Sparx
01-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Hi everyone, just checking in, healthy eating is going great, and as i did NO exercise before i have managed two 3 mile walks and a 7 mile bike ride this week. I love reading everyones progress :D

natamars
01-19-2012, 02:17 PM
kandy, that just sucks. sometimes that happens. sometimes it take a week to show results. I know it's hard, but don't give up.

nemom, good for you for going back for more punishment. and yikes it's cold where you are!!

andrew, good for you for perservering. you are doing SO well. I hope my run goes OK tonight..sometimes when I have a bad one that sticks in my head when I try to run again. So much of it is mental.

shining, NICE on the massage - way to treat yourself!!

pp, I'm getting hungry reading your food log!

lady, what an amzing amount you've been able to do post op. Your doc must have been so proud!

My calories have been creeping up a bit. I really want to keep them closer to 1300 on average, and the last few days have been 1450 and 1535. Maybe it's the cold. I'm coming up with a BMR of about 1340, and then based on my activity level about 2050..this seems reasonable to me as a maintenance calorie level.

guacamole
01-19-2012, 03:14 PM
In response to Kandy, sometimes when I don't lose weight, I think to myself, if I hadn't been watching what I was eating or exercising, I would be facing a weight gain instead of maintaining my current weight. In the beginning, I also didn't lose anything, but I also didn't gain (and I had been gaining steadily). So, that in itself is a victory!

It seems like our bodies fight to hold onto fat! If you keep doing what you are doing, eventually, your body is going to give it up. It might happen in a big whoosh or a tiny trickle, but it will happen! Also, think about how you have felt this past week watching your calories and exercising. You probably felt pretty good about yourself, right? So, keep going with that feeling and don't give up! Soon, you will see tangible results!

I am holding strong and doing well with eating. I weighed myself today - not sure why because I usually weigh on Fridays - and I am still holding steady at 169. I am going out for dinner tonight with my family, so I will have to make wise choices. I really don't like eating out anymore - I have so much more control over what goes into my food when I make it.

Good luck today, everyone! I am so proud of all of us for keeping up the good fight!

ladysheets
01-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Hi everybody,
i have been so busy this week only made to the gym once. thats not good. But i have been staying on plan and feeling really good.

We are having such a cold winter here in Alaska. you hate to get out!

cheers to everyone! have a great weekend

patchworkpenguin
01-19-2012, 11:35 PM
Jan 19, Thurs
B= 2 c milk, vits, 1 c cereal, 1/2 c milk
L= Chili's 2 shrimp fajitas, 1 SW egg roll, 3 truffles
D= Easy Chicken potpie, spaghetti squash w sprinkle romano cheese and bacon
S= apple
S= chips and 1/2 amount bean dip I ate yesterday
E= 35min cardio + 25min Classical Stretch

I felt much better today than I have since before Christmas. I had a better day today but there's still room for improvement. I ate more than I should have, even chewing my special mint choc chip gum didn't help. I blame TOM cravings.

Right: I had enough fajitas mix for 4 more but brought those home for later. Upped my cardio.

Regret: mindless eating

Ladysheets, great job staying on plan. Stay warm!

Guac, hope you have a great weigh-in. I get grumpy looking at menus, because everything seems so fried, spicy, unhealthy, and calorie laden when it doesn't have to be.

Natamars, I hear you on the calorie creep {:dizzy:} okay my point being even if we are extra careful it seems they creep up anyway. More food each day, next thing we know we've regained.

Sparx, everyone needs a rest day now and again. There's always tomorrow.

shiningthru
01-20-2012, 01:26 AM
Hi
Im posting kinda late tonight. Im tired and getting ready to take a hot bath and go to bed. I stayed up too late last night reading a good book I could not put down!!!! Aaay! :) And yes the massage was really great! It was perfect timing for my body too, I needed it.

Had a good work out today, ran 2 miles and then walked on an incline for 10 min. Then did about 10-15 min of pilates kind of stuff. Im new to pilates so its kinda funny... I feel like a big dork, but I will get the hang of it :) and so far Ive kept my calories pretty good. A lil lower than yesterday. Nat and Patch I so agree with the difficulties of the calorie creep.

Kandy, so sorry that has to be frustrating. i love what Guac said, its so true, the losses are different and sometimes dont show on the scale or happen at odd times. Im not weighing yet, because I know that it can really discourage me. Good luck and hang in!

Sleepy tonight, just wanted to say hi to everyone and check in today to help me stay on track.

P.S. I made some great chicken tacos tonight. Yum... see Im sleepy and still want to tell ya'all about the good food... lol gnight :)

natamars
01-20-2012, 06:43 AM
Down 1.2 lbs. for the week. I'm very happy with that. I had some slips over the weekend but overall worked hard.

Yesterday was good overall - 1235 calories, 45 minutes on the treadmil, ran almost 3 miles plus warm-up and cooldown Still too much sugar..that seems to be my theme. I don't want to completely cut it out, but I'd like 80-90% of my calories to be pure nutrition, and I'm not there.

shining, was the pilates a class? I was doing that for a while and miss it- my current gym doesn't offer it. My lower back muscles are really weak and the classes really helped with back pain.

pp, glad you're feeling better!

lady, glad things are going well.

guac, hope you had a great dinner out! We're going tomorrow, but for me it will be a bit of a splurge - decided to let myself do that once a week and see what happens.

TGIF!

andrew80k
01-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Still hanging in there. 3200 calories out vs. 2200 in. Ate according to plan, got my lower body workout in. Started reading New Rules of Weight Lifting. Guy's funny. I'm not sure I made much progress this week, but I'm still ahead of where I was expecting to be so far. I still have a couple of days before I weigh in officially. Still trying to learn to be patient...

Hope everyone has a good weekend. Stay on the wagon folks. :D

kandyrews
01-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm going to hang in there. Although I did decide this week I'm taking off Friday and Saturday. I usually only take Friday off, but have some moving stuff to do Saturday. I'm starting to get burned out already, so decided to take take two days off a week when I need it. I'm trying not to let not losing any weight this past week discourage me....hoping it will show up on the scale at a later date. I just still can't believe I didn't lose anything. My eating may have not been perfect, but it sure wasn't bad either. It was fairly good. Better than it used to be. But I really need a digital scale, I have one of the old kinds, with the needle, so it's actually kinda hard to tell if you've lost weight or not. I'd like to say Congrats to all those who are doing a great job with your weight loss efforts, good job!

natamars
01-20-2012, 11:57 AM
kandy, if you can get a new scale, I definitely recommend a digital one that measures in the smallest increments possible..sometimes I celebrate a .2 loss!

kandyrews
01-20-2012, 12:03 PM
kandy, if you can get a new scale, I definitely recommend a digital one that measures in the smallest increments possible..sometimes I celebrate a .2 loss!

You are so right. I would celebrate any loss. I desperately need a digital scale. I may have lost a pound or two, maybe my old needle point could be wrong.

shiningthru
01-20-2012, 12:04 PM
good morning!

Nat, thats so great about ur loss and ur run!!! Awesome! Well...Ive been cleaning out my upstairs "catch-all" room and I found an old pilates dvd that I think I ordered years ago and actually never tried it. Its pretty basic but it was good for my low back too. I usually like to go to live classes of yoga and other things, but I thought this was a good way to start and get some strength back.

Kandy I think thats a great way to beat the burnout! Rest if you need it, physically or mentally. I thought I was gna need to do that this week too but my energy has perked up and I have been sleeping well so that helps.

Patch, also so glad ur feeling better!

Andrew, Hope u have good results when u do weigh in!

Well, Ive decided to go for a hike this morning. I have the time off and its crisp but sunny here and looks gorgeous out! I hope its not too crowded. I know its gna kick my butt!!! So I will let you all know how it goes. :) Wish me luck and that I don't back out!

guacamole
01-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Kandy - another suggestion - sign up for one of the free food log/calorie counting websites. For a few days - even just one day - track every food and beverage that you consume. I know that when I did this I was SHOCKED at how many calories, fats, and carbs I was consuming. This was after I had already lost about 30 lbs and thought that I was eating fairly healthy. It was a real eye opener and helped me to get a realistic perspective on what I was really putting into my body every day. I now track my calories every few days to make sure I am on track and I just started tracking exercise - so I know how many calories I am burning too.

patchworkpenguin
01-20-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm working on cleaning up my sewing room. I used to sew a lot so I made the 'breakfast room" a sewing room. This is a weird room that used to be a 3rd bedroom but previous owners took out part of a wall to create a passway from this room to the kitchen, opening up a outside storage room to create a laundry room. My sewing room has a big window to the backyard, so it has a nice view anyway, and gets lots of sunshine. Its a pretty small room and since its now a hallway from the laundry room {and I use that term loosely...picture a closet just big enough for a stack washer/dryer!} I have to keep a center pathway clear. I don't sew much anymore but things tend to collect in the room and my sewing machine is still out on the desk for the occasional fix. I put away a few things then go do something else for a while {like post here} so I don't get overwhelmed!

Shining, hope you have a good hike.

Kandy, I recommend a new scale also. I had a $20 digital Heathometer which was great and very accurate but decided to splurge on a scale that told me water, bone, muscle precentages which was interesting but not really worth the extra money, sometimes I just wish I had kept the old one.

Andrew, I haven't read NROWL, but know some people on my exercise forum who got great results following the program.

Natamars, I have several 10 Min Solution pilates dvds with short programs. I like the benefits of pilates but find I can only take it in short sessions, lol, and many of the pilates exercises are very similar to traditional back exercises.

patchworkpenguin
01-20-2012, 04:25 PM
The good news is that while I was in the sewing room I was prompted to finish making the cushions for my 'new to me' rocking chair! So now I might spend more time in there since I have a comfy place to sit. The bad news is now that I have another comfy place to sit, I might spend more time sitting.

shiningthru
01-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Hi friends

Patch Love ur sewing room story today. Comfy seating is crucial!!! Ive been working on cleaning out an upstairs room of mine. I tend to get a little overwhelmed with it, so a couple times I have done 30 min sessions, sometimes it goes a lil longer but I commit to 30 min. And Im making progress.

Well, I did my hike! So proud of myself! It was quite challenging, everything is a lil weak still, but I did it! And January in Arizona is so beautiful!

ladysheets
01-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Ive had a good busy day today. stayed OP. got some new work out clothes in the mail today so now i have plenty of pants and tops to wear.
TGIF Im pooped tonight.
Everyone should have a little space of their own. if it has a big sunny window then your really lucky :)
Have a great weekend Girls, Ladysheets

natamars
01-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Bad day yesterday - my son had to stay home from school sick and I had to balance keping an eye on him and getting a full day of work in at home. He is 8 and fairly independent, but he would start to feel better and get too active, then feel worse and get clingy. I ate over 2100 calories, and I know it was stress. Couldn't get to the gym either. It's a new day today.

lady, congrats on another OP day.

pp, sounds like you had a productive day.

kandy, I ordered an Omron scale from Amazon that also measures body fat and weighs in .2 increments. I keep telling myself the body fat % is inaccurate because it still has me at 36% even though I am not technically "overweight" and I exercise 5 days a week. I do think the weight is accurate though, as I've compared it with weight at the doctor. It shows your BMI also.

ladysheets
01-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Hi,
I didnt have the best evening last night,got board and started grazing.
I kept telling myself thats enough.
Today is another day and so far i am ok. Gotta keep on track in the evenings my hardest time.
N

Natamars hope your boy is feeling better now. No fun being sick.

patchworkpenguin
01-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Fri Jan 20
B= coffee
L= Chilis leftovers 2 chicken fajitas
S= grapes
D= 2 square slices homemade meatball pizza, {I tried a homemade crust, not a big success}
S= 1/2 lf fudge pop, 1/2 c ice cream
S=chips {sigh}
E= none

Yesterday wasn't a good day for me either. My back keeps hurting, as it does, but I think yesterdays sewing aggravated it. Also, Its TOM, I wanted to go to the store to get a single serving of ice cream, which I did, but then Hubby bought fudge pops and a pint of ice cream for himself. Not helping!!! He didn't force me to eat 1/2 a pop but it didn't help that it was there! Looking at my meals for the past few days, my mornings have been a bit skimpy so maybe that's contributing to my night snacking??

I have an NSV to report. I was able to buy a smaller sized jean today. 20->18w. Strangely enough my favorite jeans are 18m, which now fit also, proving that sizing is weird!

Shining, I'm glad you had a good hike. Planning short cleaning periods is a good idea. Its easy to get overwhelmed if a project seems too big. I also managed to clean off a shelf so I have more places to put stuff keeping the floor clean. I think part of the problem is the room as turned into a dumping ground since I don't spend any time in there. Easier just to dump and go then take the time to find a home for something.

Ladysheets, Glad to hear you are OP. I wish I could say the same.

Natamars, If your scale has an 'athlete' setting try weighing on it. Hope your boy is feeling better.

patchworkpenguin
01-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Sat Jan 21
B= 2 c milk, vits, 2 slices homemade cinnamon bread french toast, syrup, 1 slice bacon, 1 mug coffee
L= 1/2 Commissary BBQ sand, beans, 1 deviled egg, few sips of Hubby's coffee
S= 5 Dove + 2 TB PB
D= 2 slices leftover homemade meatball pizza, 1 choc truffle
E= none {April didn't get her dog walk, it was raining}

Right= splitting BBQ with Hubby; spreading my meals thoughout the day

Regret= probably would have been just as happy with 1 slice toast; no exercise but I could have done a DVD.

shiningthru
01-22-2012, 02:45 AM
Hi all
Well i stayed fairly ok today but kinda by the skin of my teeth... lol. I was super tired and here I am up late again tonight. Gna keep it short and get to sleep here. I had some dark chocolate after lunch today (didnt have it after breakfast so that is a positive... :)) And I stopped after 2 pieces. Really pretty good considering I wanted a lot. But Im so tired today and kinda emotional etc... myb TOM... And I ate lunch out today and this time I really enjoyed it and it was healthy and yummy. Also my dinner at home was good, relaxed and not as high protein as normal. So I think it was good actually, it wasnt a super clean food day, but it was also my day off of exercise and kinda nice to relax a little... Just so long as it wasn't diving into that chocolate... to relax

p.s. a bit sleepy hope that made some sense

Sparx
01-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Hi all,
Patch - hope ur back is better
Shining - well done on ur hike
Natamars - hope ur boy is feeling better
Ladysheets - oooo enjoy ur new clothes

Im just checking in had a good week, I have fitted in some 5k power walks and even introduced some weight training which I have never tried before :D tonight tho is my fellas birthday and I will be enjoying a nice glass of red wine just the one tho!

guacamole
01-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Hello, everyone! Feeling really blah today. I have been craving sugar really badly, but I don't even have any cheat foods in the house to binge on! It's making me angry, but at the same time, I know that I will be glad in the morning. I really want a brownie or some chocolate chip cookies right now, though.

I am feeling really down. I feel like I have nothing to look forward to or be excited about. The weather is awful, and I really need sunshine and walks to perk me up, but it's not possible right now.

I think that being stuck at the same overweight weight for the past couple weeks is getting to me too. A few months ago, I was feeling so pumped about going down sizes and shopping. Now, it's more of the same and I feel like I am struggling to maintain my current weight loss much less lose more. I want that high back that I get from losing weight.

Lots of people are going warm places and taking vacations - I think I am down because I have nothing like that planned. Anyway, I didn't eat too badly today, that's about all I can say about the success of my day.

patchworkpenguin
01-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Guac, I'm sorry you are feeling so down. Its tough to be stuck at one weight for a while, even though we feel like we are working so hard to lose. Mr Scale won't co-operate! Just remember that every good choice is one step closer to goal.

Sparx, great job on the good week. Hope you guys have a nice bday celebration!

Shining, good job on the chocolate! Hope you have a restful night.

patchworkpenguin
01-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Jan 22, Sun
B= 2 coffee, 1 c milk, vits
L= green salad, drizzle dressing, leftover chicken pasta
S= 1/2 apple
D= 1 wings + 1 leg roasted chicken plus veggies {onion, red potato, sweet potato, carrots, brussel sprouts};
S= 5 Dove + 1 TB PB
S= fudgepop
E= 60min cardio

Right = the first half of my day went well; exercised on rest day

Regret = the fudgepop; overeating at dinner

andrew80k
01-23-2012, 07:47 AM
So, not a bad weekend. I wasn't extremely strict with myself. It was nice, I made good choices for the most part, and planned for the not so good ones. :) I haven't really taken statistical measure of myself since I started and I had really planned to start them weekly after the first month, but I went ahead and took all the measures that I did when I started 3 weeks ago.

Weight: 9 lbs lost.
BF%: 1% lost.
Measure: 1 inch lost from middle section.

Yesterday was day off of exercise. I got my upper body in of Saturday, and my run in Friday night.

Still a long way to go, but I'm getting there.

Guac hang in there. This too shall pass.
Patch Nice job on the sewing room. I've been working on my all-purpose room and it finally is taking shape.

NEMom
01-23-2012, 12:52 PM
guacamole - I am feeling the same BLAH's you have. The last couple of weeks have really been a struggle to stay focused and not give up. Food has not been too bad but if I am honest, I know I have not been perfect either.
Really wanting to lose the additional weight, have plenty of extra fat to lose, and I know deep down I can do it but not giving up is tough.
One day at a time, keep repeating the ultimate goals and we'll get there.

Happy Monday all. Hope you have a great start to a new week.

natamars
01-23-2012, 08:51 PM
So I'm trying a slight variation on the UDDD diet(up day down day) where I'm going to try to eat 1800 calories one day and 800 the next. Today was my high day so I packed a higher-calorie cereal, a banana, whole grain pasta with sauce and cheese, salad, yogurt, and trail mix. Came home and ate a flatout bread with peanut butter and some chocolate chips on it(yeah, I know). Got dressed for the gym so I could head out when DH got home to be with our son. But DS just vomited all over his bed. And then the toilet. Not IN the toilet, ON the toilet. and all the surrounding walls. I have not seen somthing like this since a party in my dorm room freshman year. And he ate blueberries, apples, pepperoni pizza, and red peppers for dinner. Lovely.

I'm going to skip the gym because I'm just too distracted. I did the stairs for 23 minutes at work so I did get some activity in. Looks like one of us will have to be home tomorrow, and get this kid to the doctor - this hit him Thursday night - he was better yesterday and played out in the snow - maybe he overdid it. He also got through today at school OK. He's had a bit of everything - headache, stomachache, sore throat, cough. ..not sure what's going on.

NEMom, since you're actually trying to get below your original goal, it's extremely tough. The advice I've always heard to lose "the last 10" is that you have to eat extremely clean - basically just fruit, veggies, lean protein, and whole grains. I've never been able to be perfect like that. But you sound like you're challenging yourself with new classes and things, so I'm sure you're making progress, even if it's not showing on the scale yet.

andrew, just excellent job all around.

pp, your dinner veggies sound yummy - how did you prepare all that?

guac, January sucks. Would you be able to get away? Maybe you just need a break. If not, get some time outside the next time the sun's out - even if you have to bundle up in 3 layers, the sun will feel good.

sparx, what a great week you had! hope you enjoyed dinner out.

shining, sounds like a good day to me.

lady, I have the grazing issue too. Most nights I just cut off my food in the late afternoon and don't eat at all once I get home.

patchworkpenguin
01-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Mon Jan 23
B= 2 c milk, vits
L= leftover steak in a sandwich with spicy ranch dressing
S=1/2 apple
D= Baked potato smothered in 1/2 can turkey chili, added cheese
S= fudgepop
S= 1/2 apple + 1TB PB
E= 32min cardio/weights circuit + 50min stretch fusion {CS} workouts

Today was pretty much a regular Monday except I didn't bake bread today, because we have a stockpile in the freezer. :dizzy: And I did a little more cleaning in the sewing room.

Right = didn't eat as much as I have in days past, exercised

Regret = actually had a pretty good day today.

Natamars, Sorry to hear about your DS! Hope he's feeling better! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sandra-lee/maple-glazed-chicken-with-roasted-country-vegetables-recipe/index.html This is the recipe I started with. I always have to change something, lol. I mixed the glaze and coated the veggies first, then prepared the chicken to put on top, by pulling out extra fat, giblets, etc. I made a rub out of garlic powder, paprika, thyme, dry mustard, poultry seasoning and rubbed that under the skin all over the chicken {hubby watched but I couldn't get him to help here, :D}. I forgot to rub oil on the skin of the bird but it was okay. I also added onion and sweet potato to the veggies.

NE, This can be very frusterating! Be tough, don't give up!

Andrew, good job on your losses!

shiningthru
01-24-2012, 02:21 AM
My right calf has been hurting today and tonight. Really bummed about it. I felt so great on my run this morning but myb I over did it. Bummer!!! I hope that it is just something minor. I guess I know its something minor I just hope it heals quick. Trying not to get discouraged because that does not lead me to good places.

Nat, so sorry about ur son, thats interesting about ur UDDD, is it every other day?

I think its true, it takes a strong extra effort to lose vs to maintain. And patience is a part of that... i need to hear that right now...

andrew80k
01-24-2012, 07:49 AM
I got a new pair of running shoes last week and used them for the first time Friday. They were a little uncomfortable, but I got my run in anyway. I put them on last night to get my run in and I made it 6 minutes before I had to take them off and put my old ones on. Ugh! They're going to have to go back. When I put them on initially, they felt fine. It wasn't until I had run in them that they became excruciating. Too much arch for my feet. They're causing me to cramp up. Back to the running store.

So, I made a pretty large blunder yesterday. I ate something I shouldn't have and it threw me for a loop. I still managed to eat the right amount of calories, but I struggled all day and nutritionally wasn't the best day. Lesson learned, don't eat stuff that you shouldn't just to be polite.

I got my run in and ran 3 miles. I slowed down, and kind of enjoyed it. I had to take a break 6 minutes in to change shoes but that was only a couple of minutes. Listening to "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" on my ipod. It's pretty good.

Shining Make sure you are getting plenty of rest. Nothing sets you back like an injury.
Nat Ugh! No fun. Hope he gets to feeling better. Hang in there.
Patch I'll bet your house smells wonderful. How do you stand it? :D
NE Stick with it. It'll come. You could try calorie cycling, or switching up your exercise. Our bodies adapt to our changes pretty quickly.

NEMom
01-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Yesterday was ok food wise until I got home, ate to much dinner. This is really something I need to work on.
Thank you all for your support. I think this morning I decided that my attitude was starting to suck and I need to take a step back and look at how far I have come. Would I like to lose 10 more pounds, you bet. I still have plenty to lose but I feel like I am putting too much stress on myself. I need to really take some time to appreciate my hard work, continue to eat the best I can, exercise, enjoy the new classes I am going to take and go from there.

Nat-Sorry about your son. I have two sick teenagers at home right now too, its no fun for you or them. Hope he is feeling better soon and I REALLY hope that he does not share the fun with you.

Andrew-Sorry about the shoes. If you get them from a good running store they will generally take them back if they do not work out for you, even after you have used them.

PP-I am glad you had a good day yesterday. Those good days can really make us feel good about ourselves!

Hope you all have a very happy Tuesday. Getting my hair done tonight and I cannot wait. It is driving me nuts.

patchworkpenguin
01-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Andrew, since I'm home all day I get used to and can't smell the yummy smells. Its funny to watch Hubby come home from work and see him stand at the door and take a deep breath, sometimes he'll tell me he could smell dinner as soon as he got out of the car.

NE, I think taking some time to reflect on you hard work is a good idea. One thing I have learned is sometimes we learn more from the process than we do the goal. If I woke up tomorrow at my goal weight I would of course be happy but I'm pretty sure I would regain because I haven't learned how to maintain.

Shining, I'm a big fan of Aspercream myself. Hope your leg feels better. I usually have rest days but I can always tell when I've overdone a workout because the next day I climb out of bed feeling hit my a truck...allover sore.

shiningthru
01-24-2012, 01:05 PM
I didn't sleep very well last night :( Injuries really stress me out. Im not sure if I stress ate last night or what, I was actually really hungry, but eating late at night is not my idea of a good plan. Well, I didn't go crazy and my calories for yesterday were about 1600, not as low as they have been lately, but not bad. I guess its like a calorie cycling day. I really like that idea anyway. I ended up eating 2 oz turkey, 1 slice lowfat swiss, 3 corn thins, and about 1 serving or less of ..... dark chocolate almonds... yes thats right, so mostly it was good... well, they were organic :) Not going to beat myself up about it today!

The good news, leg feels a little better today even tho I only got about 5 hrs sleep. I may go today or tmrw to my massage therapist if it is still really bothering me. She is kinda a miracle worker. I just was there last week, more for relaxation, but its important to not let this get to me.

Thx Andrew it helps to have the feedback. I just finished the 1st book, Girl w/ Dragon Tatoo and Im going to go see the movie soon. I can't wait! Maybe I'll go tonight while Im resting my leg.

Patch, thx for the idea, I like China Gel, and I didn't use any last night, should have. I did take a hot bath.

NEmom, I like ur reflection on all ur hard work. You have really done so great!! That might be good for me to do today as well. Ive been doing really well for 20 days now! And I feel so much better than I did 20 days ago!!

Nat, hope ur kiddo is doing better

ok, have a good day everyone, will check in more later

guacamole
01-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Shining - feel better with your injury!

Nat - I never got used to cleaning up vomit - even if it's from my kid! Hope he feels better soon.

Patch - Your baking sounds divine!

NE - I wish I were 10 lbs away from goal! It is frustrating to hit a plateau, but you know how to do this! You have a good method, it's worked before, it will continue to work - just at a revised pace.

So, my husband left a fresh box of donuts at home this morning. When I tell you it took all my will power not to dive in! I made a big pot of veggie soup (had about 4 cups), had 2 Greek yogurts with cereal, an apple, and 4 small salmon/tomato corn/flax wraps. Basically, I really overate today to keep from eating the donuts. At least it was healthy stuff. Sometimes I really feel like my husband is trying to sabotage me.

shiningthru
01-24-2012, 10:03 PM
ok donuts are unfair... i think they are actually evil :devil: lol

great job Guac on staying away from them!

Hanging in, my calf feels ok, not super but not too bad. Im going to use some china gel tonight. I really want to be able to run tmrw, but that might not happen, It feels like just a tight muscle but still... so maybe a walk in the desert or go to the gym and ride the bike....

I made some green juice today. It was fun to make, haven't gotten out the juicer in a long time and it was good, thirst quenching. But can I say GADGETS... on my counter right now is the crock pot, the blender, the food processor (because Ive been making this raw apple/strawberry sauce) and now the juicer... its a little nuts! Good thing I dont have a coffee pot, just a french press... lol!!

ladysheets
01-24-2012, 10:58 PM
Had a good dose of omega3 today with my salmon.Hubby filled the freezer last summer i have really enjoyed the fresh fish.

did good OP today. Walked and Swam felt good. Had to take a pain pill later my lower back was feeling a little sore.
I was a good day today.
cheers. ladysheets

patchworkpenguin
01-24-2012, 11:09 PM
Tues, Jan 24
B= 2 c milk, vits
L= 2 c salad greens, extra carrots, drizzle dressing, leftover chicken pasta
S= few spoonfuls choc ice cream, 1/2 apple
S= 1/2 c dry cereal
D= homemade chicken and veggie stirfry with brown rice
S= 2 pumpkin/chocolate muffins
E= 45min cardio + 25min stretch fusion

Right = has a few spoonfuls of ice cream but wasn't enjoying it so I threw the rest out and had an apple instead {was that really me?}, exercised

Regret= I made the muffins but was only supposed to have ONE!

I agreed to give a devotional Thursday morning in front of 300+ people. Public speaking is not my thing; I am naturally shy, and I spent 8 years of my childhood in speech therapy for stuttering. {yay for forums!} I gave the devotional in front of a smaller group of women, then was asked to give it again. Naturally, I was flattered and agreed, but the closer the date gets the harder I have to work to not be nervous!

Ladysheets, I'm glad to hear you had a good day. Does your Hubby fish?

Guac, is he trying to drive you nuts or get his donuts thrown away???

Shining, I like gadgets too, but I have a really tiny kitchen with only one electrical plug so I have to be selective about what stays out.

andrew80k
01-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Yesterday was just strange. DW took one of our DDs to get her haircut while I stayed to presumably work out and help the other one with her homework. So the phone kept ringing, and I couldn't seem to get in a rhythm on my work out. I almost got it all in, but came up a couple of sets short on my abs work when DW showed back up with dinner. She got me the lowest calorie Panera Breads sandwich they had. And it was quite good. But it was still 600 calories and while still within my working limit, was more than I really needed. I was closer to maintenance than deficit. I still had 600 calorie deficit, but that's not the 1000 that I like to maintain.

Guac Good job on the donut avoidance.
Shining Hope your leg is feeling better today.
Patch You'll do just fine... Take a deep breath...

NEMom
01-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Had a decent night with food last night. Had to have a quick dinner before I got my hair done, which took 2 1/2 hrs. Good thing I really like the person who does my hair.
Food so far today has been on target but generally I do ok at work, its when I get home and on the weekends that I have trouble.
My state of mind is much better today since I decided to no push so hard to lose the last 10lbs, will keep working on it but am focusing more on appreciation and exercise.
Found some really good home exercises today on the Multi Grain Cheerios Fitness website. I am going to watch them a couple more times and then give it a shot at home. Have bootcamp tonight and Thursday.

Nat- How is your son? Better I hope
Shining-Take care of your leg. When I tried a running program last summer I got tendinitis in my knees and it took over 3 weeks to heal. Have not tried it again.
Patch-You will do great on your presentation! Good job throwing the ice cream out and grabbing the apple.
Andrew- You dedication continues to inspire me. I am glad your DW was thinking of you and got the lowest cal sandwich for you.

Happy hump day all!

kandyrews
01-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Kandy - another suggestion - sign up for one of the free food log/calorie counting websites. For a few days - even just one day - track every food and beverage that you consume. I know that when I did this I was SHOCKED at how many calories, fats, and carbs I was consuming. This was after I had already lost about 30 lbs and thought that I was eating fairly healthy. It was a real eye opener and helped me to get a realistic perspective on what I was really putting into my body every day. I now track my calories every few days to make sure I am on track and I just started tracking exercise - so I know how many calories I am burning too.

I have been tracking my calories with livestrong.com and so far have been keeping my daily calories below 1350 and drinking plenty of water, although I'm sure I could drink more. One of my problems is, although I am keeping my calories under 1350 a day, what I am eating for dinner isn't allways the healthiest. What I'm eating for Breakfast and lunch is fairly healthy, it's just dinner that's the toughest because I cook for hubby and he insists on "normal" food. So I just try to eat dinner in moderation. I took 3 days off last week, then have been back on the treadmill again everyday since Monday. I've added in more jogging now too. I guess I'll find out if anythings changed when I get on the scales again later this week. But I'm definitely going to buy new digital scales soon.

MzMoMo
01-25-2012, 07:02 PM
I am joining you all late! I just joined this site a few days ago. I am 43 and just started trying to lose weigh Jan 2, 2012. I hope to be inspired by your post as well as be an inspiration for you all.

patchworkpenguin
01-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Jan 25, Wed
b= 2 c milk, vits, 1 c cereal, 1/2 banana, 1/2 c milk
L= 1/2 pbj, 1/2 apple
S= 1/2 banana, 1 c milk
D= leftover roasted chicken breast, veggies, fudgepop
S= 2 c cereal, 1/2 c milk
E= 40min cardio

Right = Had a big breakfast so I wouldn't be tempted by the snack table at Bible study; did my exercise even when I could have blown it off

Regret= should have picked the fudgepop or the cereal not both

We had to take April to the vet. Good news, she's very healthy for her age {10?}, and she's lost 15lbs over the past year.

MoMo, Welcome, glad to have you join us.

andrew80k
01-26-2012, 07:55 AM
I've been doing pretty well, not always perfect, but staying mostly on plan. 2350 Calories in versus 3200 out. Still a bit on the high side, but I'm still refining. I want to feel like I'm not depriving myself all the time. I'm actually starting not to miss the junk food which is progress. I occasionally spot check my weight during the week to see how I'm doing based on what I've eaten. I dropped another 1.1 pounds, so that's good.

NEmom I try. :D I'm liking your new attitude of enjoying your success.

NEMom
01-26-2012, 12:39 PM
My food yesterday was pretty good, a little higher than normal but I double exercised yesterday and wanted to make sure I took in enough calories. Bootcamp last night was not bad, have it again tonight, gonna work on legs so I am sure I will be limping tomorrow.

Kandy -My food plan is very similar to yours. I keep my calories low during the day (500 or under) and then eat whatever my hubby fixes for dinner (he is the cook). I have done this for the past 11 months because I did not want to have to make 2 dinners. There are some things I do not eat, like I substitute cottage cheese for potatoes, french fries and such.

MoMo-Welcome to our group!!! Glad you joined us.

PPGood job getting the exercise in even though you did not want to. It is these types of accomplishments we must give ourselves credit for!

Andrew-Congrats on your loss. You are rockin it dude!

Happy Thursday, getting so close to the weekend. Yippee!

patchworkpenguin
01-26-2012, 02:12 PM
The devotional went well; I didn't fall flat on my face trying to get to the podium, babble too much, or sneeze repeatedly but I'm glad its over! I got a lot of compliments, and my dad got a cd/recording which we listened to afterwards. My parents took me to GiGi's cupcakes after lunch :love:

guacamole
01-26-2012, 03:12 PM
patch - congrats on your public speaking success!

nemom - you are doing so great with the exercise!

andrew - you are really committed to a lifestyle change! I'm glad you are getting good results.

mzmomo- welcome! I know that you will be inspired by the folks on this board.

kandy - It's great that tracking calories has helped you see this pattern of dinnertime setbacks. Dinner was the roughest meal of the day for me too. Now, I make myself something separate from everyone else - but they share some of my "stuff."

For example, last night I made my kids pizza and pasta (I used to indulge right along with them). For myself, I made salmon and a spinach salad. Two of my kids ate the spinach salad and enjoyed it. Tonight, I am making chicken dogs for the kids. I used to think that chicken/turkey dogs worked for me - but they don't because of the bun I like to eat them on and because of the baked beans I like as a side (I don't like them plain). So, I don't eat them anymore. Instead, I will have some of the leftover vegetable soup I made and possibly some leftover salmon. I will probably give the kids some of the vegetable soup too (made with lots of root vegetables and spinach - all pureed).

I just can't eat the same dinners as my family - partly because I can't just stop at one hot dog with a bun, or one slice of pizza (love the homemade crust!), or one cup of pasta. If I could stop at a reasonable portion, I probably could indulge. However, I am a carb addict, and I need to know my limitations. I allow myself carbs made with white flour one day a week over the weekend. The rest of the time I try to stay clean.

andrew80k
01-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Patch Glad it went well, but Cupcakes? How were they? I'll have to live vicariously through others. :D

Guac and Kandy I've come to the conclusion that I will have to eat differently than the rest of my family sometimes. DW is talking a good game but hasn't come totally around yet. I'm working on her. She does dinner for us and for the most part she does very well on the healthy stuff so no complaints. But she's just as apt to order pizza. I want to do pizza pretty bad since that has been the family night food of choice for 7 or 8 years every Friday. But I'm not going to do it for a while. Not until I'm sure I have a firm handle on myself.

I'm still a work in progress as far as my plan. I'm going to have to get more precise when I get closer to my goal. But so far so good. Much work to do yet and I do hope that my commitment will inspire others to do the same. I get a lot of inspiration from people that have reached their goals and seeing all the great before/after pictures. I hope to provide that same inspiration to others.

kandyrews
01-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Kandy -My food plan is very similar to yours. I keep my calories low during the day (500 or under) and then eat whatever my hubby fixes for dinner (he is the cook). I have done this for the past 11 months because I did not want to have to make 2 dinners. There are some things I do not eat, like I substitute cottage cheese for potatoes, french fries and such.

Yes, I eat pretty healthy during the day, then eat a regular dinner and try to watch my portions. Have you been losing weight doing that? I only lost 1 pd this week and last week none. I'm starting to wonder if it's not the protein drink I'm drinking for breakfast. It's suppose to be healthy and give you energy, but I've also read with all the protein, you can acually gain weight.

patchworkpenguin
01-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Thursday, Jan 26
B=2.5 c milk, vits, 1/2 banana, 1 c cereal
L= Chick-fil-a 1/2 grilled chicken wrap, 1/2 choc mint cupcake
S= 1/2 c salsa, 1/2 c tortilla chips? crumbs from bottom of bag
D= 2 eggs, 2 bacon, 1 french toast, syrup, coffee
S= 1/2 cupcake
E= none

I took a nap this afternoon. I was watching TV and kept falling asleep upright so I obviously needed it. I kept waking up last night thinking I was late for my devotional!

Andrew, only one cupcake. Pretty good, bit of a sugar rush, lol, even split in half. I"ve been trying to convince Hubby to eat better, with smaller portions, since 2006. And its just now sinking in.;) Don't give up on DW.

Guac, do you use a recipe or a mix for you homemade pizza crust? I could use some help with mine.

NE, bootcamp 2 nights in a row? you are a brave woman.

Kandy, I used to eat protein shakes and bars but finally figured out for the same calories I could eat something I liked better. They can be pretty high in calories considering.

shiningthru
01-27-2012, 01:02 AM
Hi there

Well, I did kinda a splurge tonight and it wasn't out of control but Im really hoping I didnt really hurt my efforts. I think maybe the calorie cycling idea got to my head :) and thought this might be ok... In hind sight Im not so sure. Would be really interested in feedback

I ate really well today and went for a long walk in the desert with some hiking, so that is positive... I had a very healthy breakfast, snack, and lunch and they were all 3 to 3 1/2 hrs apart. So that is helpful to my metabolism... see im pointing out the positives. :D Then I went out to eat with my sis and her kids and we went to smash burger. I had about 1/2 of a medium smash burger with cheese, some sweet potato and regular fries, some ketchup and a lil bit of mayo and I also had a spinach and romaine salad with croutons and a little bit of dressing.
Calories before dinner were around 800 i think. I haven't plugged it all in yet to my tracker yet.. And I also think Im going to see if I can find nutritional info for it...

I really have been doing so great and normally this would send me into a case of the "screw it all"... but I didnt, just drinking water and had part of an orange... so anyway... thx for letting me dump this on here and just let it go... I think its been 22 days today without any overeating... and I didn't overeat tonight.. just worried about the choice a bit...

thx

... ok that was a little scary looking up nutritional information for a cheeseburger... aaay!

andrew80k
01-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Pretty good on plan day yesterday, 2224 calories in, 3205 calories out. Right in my range. Yay! I did upper body and I REALLY cranked up the weight last night and man do I hurt today and very stiff. But it felt good.

Shining I've done that. Scary. What's worse than the cheeseburger is the french fries. Ounce for ounce, worse. I can't have more than a handful of fries the rest of my life. Ugh, why do they have to be SOOOO bad for you?!

Patch It's funny but DW has been trying to get me to eat more healthy for years. Now when I'm doing it, I can't get her to commit to eat better more consistently. She's not bad, but she's got a few bad habits.

Kandy what are your ratios? I can't imagine at your calorie level that you are getting enough protein to make you gain weight.