Ideal Protein Diet - Hi! Brand new to IP!

View Full Version : Hi! Brand new to IP!

Ilana1
12-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Hello everyone!
I am on Day 3 of Ideal Protein and so glad I found this site and support community. I am following everything 100%, but whew...it is an adjustment! I am finding that I am ravenous between the first packet and lunch. My 4 year old started laughing at my tummy rumbling..."Mommy, was that thunder?" :) I am also getting headaches in the afternoons. I am drinking a ton of water and using my salt. It gets easier right? :?: Have a Happy New Year!

SewingMomma
12-31-2011, 12:22 PM
It gets easier! I promise!!! You should feel better in the next couple of days. When I get the tummy rumbles, I drink a cup of hot herbal tea and find something to do to occupy my time.

Ilana1
12-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks! :)

Bellamack
12-31-2011, 01:05 PM
Welcome to the IP support group on 3FC! It does get easier, I had such a headache when I first started that I had to sit in a dark room for 2 days. lol. and then magically I felt great!

DanafromAustin
12-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Welcome and what a great way to start the new year. It will get better really soon. And once in ketosis the hunger will go away. Hang in there, you're almost there.

Trinique125
12-31-2011, 01:11 PM
funny I"ve had a bit of head pain on this diet but NEVER a full blown headache. Everyone is different. But I never allowed myself to become starved in between meals. Even now, 5 weeks into the program, I have a whole boiled egg around 9:30 with half a cucumber or some other veggies. That takes me easily til 11:30 when I have my huge salad and shake or some protein and salad.

I also find that having my restrictrive bars (always around 2:30 p.m.) that I'm not starving by dinner time.

Then I have my regular dinner, it's usually large enough that I don't need another packet at night (although if I'm really hungry I'll have a couple of pickles and some boiled egg whites).

Good luck. It's a great program if you stick with it and get over the first 5 days.

Ilana1
12-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the tips and support! I am looking forward to getting to Day 5! LOL. Making meals for my kiddos and hubby is a bit challenging, but I know it will be worth it. The family is eating the same dinner I am (I add a little complex carbs for the kids to it) to make it easier on myself. Off to eat some more lettuce. ;)

Pamelama
12-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Welcome! My first week my coach had me on 4 packets ( the extra one between breakfast & lunch) to help with hunger. I didn't "hit my stride" till the 6th day. You'll get there. If you don't have extra IP packets to spare, try some hardboiled egg whites (2-3) mid mornings and see if that helps. I'm in my 4th week and still do that occasionally if I have a "hungry" day. Hasn't affected my weight loss at all.

Good luck and happy new year!

Pam

galpal445
12-31-2011, 02:05 PM
My doctor told me to have two snacks a day to begin with because I weighed over 230 pounds. That may have been why I didn't have any problems with excess hunger!

Sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time with your tummy wanting more food. Hopefully, that will all calm down in a couple of days.

Good luck!

wuv2bloved
12-31-2011, 02:19 PM
You may be getting your salt in but could need a little more. Put 1/2 tsp of sea salt in the palm of your hand and lick it, then drink some water. Your headache will be gone within 10-15 mins :)

Ilana1
12-31-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't have the extra packets, but will make sure to get a little snack in between the morning and noon packet. Thanks for the salt tip....I will try that if I get a headache today (hopefully, not!). :)

Katied61
12-31-2011, 05:16 PM
I begin the program tomorrow morning. New year, new program, new attitude. 2012 - the year of infinite possibilities!

galpal445
12-31-2011, 07:58 PM
Good luck to you katied61! I hope you find this program as easy to use as I have!

dinki
12-31-2011, 09:46 PM
It gets easier and once you are in ketosis the hunger goes away...I am now on week 4...Happy I discovered this diet

patns
12-31-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the tips and support! I am looking forward to getting to Day 5! LOL. Making meals for my kiddos and hubby is a bit challenging, but I know it will be worth it. The family is eating the same dinner I am (I add a little complex carbs for the kids to it) to make it easier on myself. Off to eat some more lettuce. ;)

As I remember days 3 to 5 were the toughest.You are well on your way and you will be suprised with how much easier it becomes. What a great way to start the New Year!
Pat

Lorilou
01-01-2012, 09:33 AM
I started IP today. Had the fine herb omelet and it wasn't bad. I'm still hungry though. Can I have lettuce this early after breakfast? I do have extra packets my counselor gave me to help me get through. If I am still starving in an hour I may have one. From what I have read day 6 is the day it starts getting easier. I think I can make it until then. I go this!! Good luck to everyone! :hug:

Pamelama
01-01-2012, 12:33 PM
I started IP today. Had the fine herb omelet and it wasn't bad. I'm still hungry though. Can I have lettuce this early after breakfast? I do have extra packets my counselor gave me to help me get through. If I am still starving in an hour I may have one. From what I have read day 6 is the day it starts getting easier. I think I can make it until then. I go this!! Good luck to everyone! :hug:

I've felt your pain ;). Before you eat again, try a cup or two of herb tea, 2 hard boiled egg whites... Water... Do something to distract for 2 hours.... It will get better, I promise! Hang in there!

ptod
01-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Had the fine herb omelet and it wasn't bad. I'm still hungry though.

Welcome to IP! Things will get easier as the week progresses. If you are hungry - eat! You can have lettuce at any time.

For what it's worth....I have a herb omelet every day for breakfast. In order to keep me satisfied till lunch, I add 1 cup of veggies to it - bell peppers, mushrooms, etc. Makes it easier to get in all the veggies for the day. I also put 1/2 tsp of salt - gets the minimum in for the day.

The omelets also travel well - I have made several to take along when we travel - easy to nuke.

Keep coming back for support - great group of people on the board.

Traceym
01-01-2012, 02:34 PM
I am starting on 1/9/12, I am so excited to get started! I will definitly be looking on this website for info & inspiration!

JoLoMN
01-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Welcome to all new Ipers!

You'll find great support and information on this site. Come by and check in often!

The IP journey is the best thing I've ever done! Good luck to you all!

Jo

lindac36
01-01-2012, 03:53 PM
I am starting tomorrow! What do you use on your salads?

Linden
01-01-2012, 04:26 PM
I also put 1/2 tsp of salt - gets the minimum in for the day.

Really good advice about the omelettes but YEEK, 1/2 t salt. That's 1103 grams of sodium, close to the total one should take in in a day. If you happen to couple that with some of the IP soups, that have about that much sodium, too, you might be looking at water retention. I hope this helps. :)

New Englander
01-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Welcome!!! I haven't read everyone's responses yet, but I imagine I'll be repeating them (sorry). YES it does get easier! Way easier!!! The first 3-4 days are the absolute worse. I began 11/11/11 so I'm in about my 7th or 8th week and it's easy. After my 3rd or so week I was able to start watching all sorts of food shows (which I love)...and they don't bother me AT ALL!!! And being around prohibited food is NOTHING!!! :) My clothes are fitting much better and I feel much better!!! Keep up the IP diet and you'll be at goal before you know it!!!

New Englander
01-01-2012, 05:17 PM
I begin the program tomorrow morning. New year, new program, new attitude. 2012 - the year of infinite possibilities!
Welcome and enjoy the program!!! You'll do great and really love the support of this site!!! Be sure to read the thread on "what I wish my coach told me"...it's called something like that and it's really helpful!!! :)

New Englander
01-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Really good advice about the omelettes but YEEK, 1/2 t salt. That's 1103 grams of sodium, close to the total one should take in in a day. If you happen to couple that with some of the IP soups, that have about that much sodium, too, you might be looking at water retention. I hope this helps. :)
You're suppose to have 1/2 tsp of salt per day...it's part of the IP protocol...personally my coach said I shouldn't worry about it...but I still put plenty on my kale chips and turnip chips! yum!!!

GloverParker
01-01-2012, 05:22 PM

I think she was referring to the 1/2 tsp sea salt that is on my sheet as part of the standard IP program as a daily requirement.

Lorilou
01-01-2012, 06:00 PM
I've felt your pain ;). Before you eat again, try a cup or two of herb tea, 2 hard boiled egg whites... Water... Do something to distract for 2 hours.... It will get better, I promise! Hang in there!
Hi Pamelama! Thanks for the tips. I didn't know you could add egg whites in between meals. I thought I had to stick to the packets, veggies and meat/seafood. I will have to keep some on hand in case I feel like gnawing my fingers off...LOL

Lorilou
01-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Welcome to IP! Things will get easier as the week progresses. If you are hungry - eat! You can have lettuce at any time.

For what it's worth....I have a herb omelet every day for breakfast. In order to keep me satisfied till lunch, I add 1 cup of veggies to it - bell peppers, mushrooms, etc. Makes it easier to get in all the veggies for the day. I also put 1/2 tsp of salt - gets the minimum in for the day.

The omelets also travel well - I have made several to take along when we travel - easy to nuke.

Keep coming back for support - great group of people on the board.
Thanks Ptod! Adding veggie is a great idea. Would I reduce my veggies at lunch?

JoLoMN
01-01-2012, 06:06 PM

Hi Lindac,

I use garlic flavored olive oil. I know lots of people enjoy the WF (Walden Farms) dressings, but the olive oil with the garlic flavor totally took care of any thoughts of me missing Italian/pasta. I also carried the IP salt in my purse, and that added to the olive oil is awesome! Also, plain olive oil is offered in most restaurants and required less packing and pre-planning on my part.

Good Luck on your journey! You will do great! :hug:

Jo

Lorilou
01-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Well I almost made it through day 1. I will have my snack at 8 (vanilla pudding). I have been a bit hungry and took a nap to pass some of the time. I'm allowed an extra packed each day this week if I need it but I am trying not to have one. We'll see how it goes. I am determined to do this so whatever it takes to stick to it I am willing to do. I am tired of being fat and uncomfortable and unhappy. I will be 50 in 16 months or so and hope to have lost all the weight by then. I have 228 pounds to lose so i know it will be a long journey but well worth it. Good luck everyone and lets support each other!:hug:

Lorilou
01-01-2012, 06:15 PM
I started today and have been using the Walden Farms Blue Cheese Dressing. It's not too bad and I spread it out with some fresh lemon juice. Just about 1 1/2 teaspoons. Good luck!

JoLoMN
01-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Welcome Lorilou,

You got this!

Pamelama
01-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Well I almost made it through day 1. I will have my snack at 8 (vanilla pudding). I have been a bit hungry and took a nap to pass some of the time. I'm allowed an extra packed each day this week if I need it but I am trying not to have one. We'll see how it goes. I am determined to do this so whatever it takes to stick to it I am willing to do. I am tired of being fat and uncomfortable and unhappy. I will be 50 in 16 months or so and hope to have lost all the weight by then. I have 228 pounds to lose so i know it will be a long journey but well worth it. Good luck everyone and lets support each other!:hug:

Congrats on getting thru day 1. :carrot: If I may make a suggestion....use your additional packet this week. It's only for the first week and you'll still have a loss (I lost 7lbs my first week with 4 packets). I had mine between usually between B & L but do whatever works. Your body is adjusting to quite a bit.

PS regarding egg whites, I believe it's only 2 per day (if you really "need" it). I keep some hard boiled around for emergencies or if I'm between meals for too long.

Lorilou
01-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Welcome Lorilou,

You got this!
Yes I do!! Thank you!!

Lorilou
01-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Congrats on getting thru day 1. :carrot: If I may make a suggestion....use your additional packet this week. It's only for the first week and you'll still have a loss (I lost 7lbs my first week with 4 packets). I had mine between usually between B & L but do whatever works. Your body is adjusting to quite a bit.

PS regarding egg whites, I believe it's only 2 per day (if you really "need" it). I keep some hard boiled around for emergencies or if I'm between meals for too long.
I think I will have the extra packet. Thanks for the advice!

DanafromAustin
01-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Welcome to all of the newbies. You have found a great diet plan and once you get through the first 4 to 5 days you will be even happier. My best advice would be listen to your coach (if you trust them) and only eat what is on your phase 1 sheet. Best of luck to all of you.

ptod
01-01-2012, 08:04 PM

LOL.... I wondered if anyone would call me on putting all the salt for the day in the omelet. :D I wasn't used to using so much salt before IP. When I started I was having trouble getting the minimum salt in every day. I began experimenting by adding it to my breakfast - started with 1/4 tsp & after a while, I just put it all in. With all the veggies I put in the omelet, I found the salt brought out their flavor and doesn't make the overall dish taste salty at all. I wouldn't try regular table salt with this, but the course sea salt works for me.

I don't salt anything else during the day. When I cook protein for dinner, I just use some Mrs. Dash &/or pepper.

I didn't even think about sodium when I tried some of the soups. I really like the tomato & basil one, but I think it tastes better with a sprinkle of salt. I rarely have the soups these days, but I will keep the sodium issue in mind in the future so I can adjust my salt usage. Thank you.

I fill up a gallon pitcher of water every morning and drink it all+ during the day. Can one be retaining water when you find yourself in the bathroom every 20 minutes (or at least it seems like every 20 minutes)? :o

ptod
01-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks Ptod! Adding veggie is a great idea. Would I reduce my veggies at lunch?

As long as you get all the items on the sheet in during the day, feel free to adjust meals to suit your needs. I have 1 cup of veggies in my omelet, 1 cup on my salad at lunch and 2 cups at dinner. It has been working for me.

You will find your own rhythm on the protocol. Stay strong!

mrsmurphy
01-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Hello everyone ! I am starting this diet tomorrow... I cannot find a coach in my area so I'll be doing it alone with the help of this site :) I have read rave reviews about this diet. I have tried everything to lose weight. Once I lost 30 pounds on weight watchers in five months. Then that was it. I am hoping this diet gives me what I need. I know that it will be tough but i am determined. If I dont lose weight, I'm only going to continue getting bigger. Anyways, here's to hoping!

JoLoMN
01-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Welcome MrsMurphy!

DanafromAustin
01-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Hello everyone ! I am starting this diet tomorrow... I cannot find a coach in my area so I'll be doing it alone with the help of this site :) I have read rave reviews about this diet. I have tried everything to lose weight. Once I lost 30 pounds on weight watchers in five months. Then that was it. I am hoping this diet gives me what I need. I know that it will be tough but i am determined. If I dont lose weight, I'm only going to continue getting bigger. Anyways, here's to hoping!

Have you contacted IP through their website? I ask that because a friend of mine also doesn't have a coach in her area. IP set her up with a coach over the phone who talks to her once a week and ships the food to her. It sounds like it's working well for her so far.

Linden
01-02-2012, 01:51 AM
LOL.... I wondered if anyone would call me on putting all the salt for the day in the omelet. :D I wasn't used to using so much salt before IP. When I started I was having trouble getting the minimum salt in every day. I began experimenting by adding it to my breakfast - started with 1/4 tsp & after a while, I just put it all in. With all the veggies I put in the omelet, I found the salt brought out their flavor and doesn't make the overall dish taste salty at all. I wouldn't try regular table salt with this, but the course sea salt works for me.

I don't salt anything else during the day. When I cook protein for dinner, I just use some Mrs. Dash &/or pepper.

I didn't even think about sodium when I tried some of the soups. I really like the tomato & basil one, but I think it tastes better with a sprinkle of salt. I rarely have the soups these days, but I will keep the sodium issue in mind in the future so I can adjust my salt usage. Thank you.

I fill up a gallon pitcher of water every morning and drink it all+ during the day. Can one be retaining water when you find yourself in the bathroom every 20 minutes (or at least it seems like every 20 minutes)? :o\

:D Sounds as though you're being careful and flushing the salt out of your system. (Was that an awful pun, or what? :o) Just be careful. :hug:

Linden
01-02-2012, 02:33 AM
I think she was referring to the 1/2 tsp sea salt that is on my sheet as part of the standard IP program as a daily requirement.

I'm sure you're right. But sodium is sodium, whether or not it has great trace minerals in it that make it taste better and be better for you than table salt. 1,200 mg of sodium is the recommended amount for anyone concerned about high blood pressure, water retention, etc., and especially for those who are insulin resistant and their sodium/potassium rations are out of whack. If one isn't getting 4,700 mg of potassium a day and is insulin resistant, then they might want to look into this.

mrsmurphy
01-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks Dana I will try that!

Bellamack
01-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Welcome Everyone!

I lost 35 lbs doing the IP diet, I switched to alternatives at month 3 because of cost. I phased out in November and now am back to lose my last 15 -20 lbs. This program is the only one that worked for me, it truly is fabulous, but no cheating! That is what we are here for, if you want to cheat, grab a large glass of water and a dill pickle and log-on to 3FC, we will talk you out of it. Good Luck to all, be sure to post any great finds or recipes. :)

Linden
01-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Good Luck to all, be sure to post any great finds or recipes. :)

Well, good luck to you, too. I made roasted cauliflower with cumin seed and some dill weed last night. It was really good.