General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Weight Watchers Core, Aussie Style!

Hi guys! I searched around this forum to find out if anyone else was doing this program but it looks like it's just me, so I thought I'd start a thread on it. Hopefully a few more people would join and we can support each other, feels very lonely because since WW scrapped the old Core plan and introduced Simply Filling & ProPoints, it seems like I'm the only one left in the world doing this plan lol!

In 2007 DH and I came to Australia (he's from Perth so we spend half our time here) and I decided to join a WW group near me and it turned out to be the BEST decision I ever made where my weight was concerned! I immediately started on their core program which was basically a list of healthy foods to eat until satisfied (no pointing) with an additional 3 points a day (vintage points) for non core foods. It was pretty similar to the other core programmes around the world except that it had a few elements that made it even more liveable long term (like white rice, white pasta, grainy bread, high fibre cereal etc being core foods). It really was just normal healthy eating with a few rules to keep you on the straight and narrow. I had about 25lbs to lose which I did in 3 months! Shocking!! I successfully maintained my weight until I got pregnant in June 2010, didn't really gain much during pregnancy as I still followed the principles of core. Gained about 17lbs which I lost before I even returned from hospital lol. HOWEVER I started breastfeeding, massive breast feeding appetite kicked in and then POW 35lbs on my butt!!! Went back to basics core style and so far I've lost 30lbs. I'd like to lose another 15 - 20lbs to get me to my sveltest weight so here I am

I'm really hoping more of you would be interested in this plan so we can support each other, it really is amazingly effective no matter how much or how little you have to lose!

AUSTRALIAN WEIGHT WATCHERS CORE PLAN

RULES
  • Eat 3 meals a day from the core food list
  • Eat snacks at anytime of the day from the core snack list, only if genuinely hungry
  • Use 2 tsp healthy oils a day (olive, canola, rapeseed etc)
  • Have 3 points a day or 21 points a week for non core foods (you can use 49 pro points per week if you prefer, I have all my old books and points calculator so I stick to vintage points)
  • Aim to fill half your plate with 0 point vegetables
  • Eat until satisfied, not full to bursting
  • Follow the good health guidelines

CORE FOOD LIST

FRUIT AND VEG
WHAT'S INCLUDED
>Fresh whole fruit and fruit canned in natural juice
>All vegetables, fresh, frozen or canned in brine or juice
WHAT'S EXCLUDED
>Avocado and coconut
>Dried fruit, fruit juice and fruit canned in syrup
>Frozen or canned vegetables with sauces/flavourings/oil
LIMIT: Potato is limited to one meal per day

BREAD
WHAT'S INCLUDED
>Grainy bread such as wholegrain, multigrain, soy linseed, rye or pumpernickel or grainy crispbread (eg Vita Weats, ryvita, finn crisp, wasa)
WHAT'S EXCLUDED
>all types of white, wholemeal and brown bread
LIMIT: Restricted to 2 sandwich slices per day, or equivalent small/ medium roll; or 2 sandwich-sized crispbread or 4 regular sized per day

CEREAL
WHAT'S INCLUDED:
>Any high fibre non sugary cereal such as bran, bran flakes, oats, puffed wheat, wheat flakes/biscuits
WHAT'S EXCLUDED:
>Cereals with sugar coatings, dried fruit, nuts or coconut
>Liquid breakfasts in Tetra packs, ready made smoothies
LIMIT: Breakfast cereal limited to 1 meal per day and must be eaten with skim milk, no-fat flavoured yoghurt or low-fat natural yoghurt

DAIRY
WHAT'S INCLUDED:
>Skim milk: fresh, long-life, powdered or evaporated milk
>Low-fat soy milk, rice milk
>Diet or fat free flavoured yoghurt
>Low-fat natural yoghurt
>Low-fat plain cottage cheese
>Low fat ricotta cheese
WHAT'S EXCLUDED:
>Yoghurt with granola or muesli, confectionery or dried fruit, flavoured milk and drinking yoghurt
>Ice cream

MEAT
WHAT'S INCLUDED:
>Lean meat, trimmed of visible fat
>Extra-lean mince/ground beef (max 5% fat)
>Turkey bacon, lean bacon, trimmed of visible fat
>Deli-style ham, roast beef, silverside and pastrami, trimmed
WHAT'S EXCLUDED:
>Regular mince, sausages, fatty processed meats

POULTRY
WHAT'S INCLUDED:
>All cuts of chicken, turkey, duck, goose, pheasant and quail provided skin is removed and trimmed of all visible fat
>Deli-style lean chicken or turkey breast
>Eggs LIMIT: no more than 7 eggs per week

FISH AND SEAFOOD
WHAT'S INCLUDED:
>All types of fish, shellfish and roe
>Varieties canned in spring water or brine
WHAT'S EXCLUDED:
>Varieties canned in oil or with flavourings

SOUP
WHAT'S INCLUDED:
>Fresh or canned vegetable soups
>Broth-style soups with meat, seafood and vegetables and noodles
WHAT'S EXCLUDED:
>Soups with cream, sour cream, milk or coconut milk

PASTA
WHAT'S INCLUDED:
>Any type of dried or fresh plain pasta, unfilled gnocchi
>Canned spaghetti in tomato sauce
WHAT'S EXCLUDED:
>Filled pastas such as tortellini or ravioli
LIMIT: Pasta is limited to one meal per day.

RICE AND GRAINS
WHAT’S INCLUDED:
>Any type of rice, couscous, barley, wheat, polenta, quinoa or millet
>Bran and psyllium
>Air-popped popcorn
>Sushi (provided it does not contain avocados or any deep fried/tempura ingredients)
LIMIT: Rice is limited to one meal per day

NOODLES
WHAT’S INCLUDED:
>Any fresh or dried plain noodles
WHAT’S EXCLUDED:
>Instant noodles with sachets or flavourings

CONDIMENTS
WHAT’S INCLUDED:
>Artificial sweetener
>Baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar
>Fish paste, shrimp paste, fish sauce, oyster sauce
>Gelatine
>Gravy powder
>Herbs and spices, fresh or dried
>Hot chilli sauce (not sweet chilli sauce)
>Mint sauce (not mint jelly)
>Mustard, any variety
>Salad dressing, no-oil or fat-free only
>Soy sauce
>Stock and stock cubes, all varieties
>Tabasco sauce
>Teriyaki sauce (the thin one not the thick syrupy sort)
>Tomato paste or puree, tomato salsa, reduced salt & sugar tomato ketchup
>Vanilla essence
>Vegemite/marmite
>Vinegar, all types
>Worcestershire sauce
>Wasabi
>Yeast

DRINKS
WHAT’S INCLUDED:
>Tea, coffee and water
>Diet squash/cordial and diet soft drinks/soda
>Unflavoured mineral water, soda water and diet tonic water
>Cocoa powder
>Unsweetened tomato juice
WHAT'S EXCLUDED:
>Fruit juice
>Alcoholic drinks
>Hot cocoa drinks (diet & full fat)

FATS AND OILS
WHAT’S INCLUDED:
>Any monounsaturated or polyunsaturated oil such as canola, olive, sunflower, safflower, flaxseed, corn, sesame, macadamia and peanut oil
>Canola and olive oil cooking spray, a short spray only
LIMIT: Pouring oil limited to two teaspoons per day.
Any more comes from weekly POINTS allowance.

LEGUMES AND TOFU
WHAT’S INCLUDED:
>All legumes, raw or canned in brine
>Baked beans in tomato sauce
>Raw and silken tofu
WHAT’S EXCLUDED: Fried tofu

CORE SNACK LIST

Can be eaten any time of the day as long as you’re genuinely hungry and you stop when satisfied
>Fruit
>Vegetables
>Fat free flavoured yoghurt
>Low fat plain yoghurt
>0 point vegetable soup
>Skim milk
>Air-popped corn
>WW Fruities
Anything else for snacks must be pointed, even if “Core” at mealtime.

Note that where it says rice, potatoes, pasta, noodles etc are limited to one meal a day it does not mean that you can only have one carb meal a day, all it means is that you cannot have the same type of carb more than once a day. So you can have rice for lunch and pasta for dinner but not rice for lunch and dinner. This is just to encourage us to eat a wide variety of foods.

I'm here to answer any questions you might have, let's eat some good food and blast these pounds! YAY!!

Last edited by Macadamia Nut; 12-30-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Macadamia Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Just me on my lonesome here? LOL! Well it's day 5 back on track and I'm feeling great already! My jeans aren't as tight and my energy levels are up. Been really enjoying my food too, the plan is really conducive to eating out so DH and I have been enjoying breakfasts at our favourite cafe. Poached eggs on multigrain toast (no butter) with a skinny cappuccino, mixed fruit with non fat Greek yogurt and honey (pointed), oatmeal and fruit are some of the yumminess I've been enjoying. Lunches have also been great as I can just get a selection from a salad bar or some sushi. Dinners have been a little tricky though, DH loves cheese and has been requesting cheesy dinners! I've used a little cheese and pointed my portion but I need to think up some non cheesy dishes, I'm thinking Asian, Mediterranean, Italian etc... I weigh in on Friday, fingers crossed I get a good loss after Christmas excesses. Wish me luck!
Macadamia Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 205/199/130

Height: 5.3

Wink Your Not Alone

Hi, I'm Denise. I Thought I would let you know you are not alone I just started back on the core diet yesterday. I tried WW PP Plan last summer, but didn't maintain it and gained more weight. So I decided that I am going back to the basics. Hope you are still doing well. Best wishes!
4anewme2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #4  

Default Thank you for this!

I know it's been a long time since this post originated but I just came across it. My husband and I just started up the old Core plan again. We originally went on it in 2005, lost our desired weight, and were able to maintain it. In 2009 I was diagnosed w/ breast cancer and after my treatments was given a drug called Tamoxifen to take for 5 years! One of the side effects of the drug was weight gain and I quickly gained 40 lbs! Finished my 5-year regime this past Dec (6 years cancer-free! Yay!) and finally felt good enough to start exercising and losing the weight. Started Core because it worked for me before. Since Feb 1'st both my hubby and I have lost. He's lost 27 lbs and I've lost 15 lbs.

This Aussie plan sounds great! Can't wait to give it a try! Wondering why WW stopped the Core plan? My guess is it's too easy to follow on your own and no one was going to the meetings. When I went to meetings, I was always the only person in the room on Core so the meetings were focused on counting points. Pretty discouraging. Then they changed to "Momentum" and no longer offered Core support. I wasn't given a choice, they said I had to "get with the new program and count points", so I stopped going to meetings and continued Core on my own until my diagnosis in 2009. Then, understandably, everything went south. Glad to be losing on "old" Core and finding more folks doing the same!
Leevje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #5  

Default Core plan... It's September 2018

Hello Macadamia Nut... I hope you're still following this thread! So so happy to have found your post. I've been looking for Core info for a long time. It's the only WW plan that ever worked for me, and was especially helpful to me as a vegetarian. Following an old ww plan AFTER they've already dismissed one that was working so we'll for me, was impossible. Shame on ww for not allowing members to keep what works for them. Anyway, all the info you've printed here is SO MUCH APPRECIATED!!! i am starting now and looking forward to some positive results. If you, or anyone else is still following this thread, please reply so we can support one another. I'm hoping to start a Facebook group just for Core devotees! Wishing everyone great success, and once again THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Christine, AKA CurleyKale1963
Curleykale1963 is offline   Reply With Quote