Dieting with Obstacles - Fibromyalgia #197

View Full Version : Fibromyalgia #197

Happy Canuk
12-29-2011, 01:58 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/christmas/christmas/NEW-YE_11818181815.JPG

Mima - glad that the surgery went well and that you are doing so well. Nice to get rid of some of that darn pain. We tend to blame everything on FM, when Arthritis and degenerative anything, is the cause.

I hope everybody has a Happy New Year.

Am going to try to get this one as a sticky.

Candicej
01-01-2012, 04:59 AM
Hi Happy..I tired to post yesterday but it wouldn't let me. Glad your BC is gone and hope it does not come back. Boy your grands are getting old! LOL I still do not have any, not sure I could help with them at this point, just taking care of sick animals is alot of work.

Mima...so glad you had great results with your back surgery!!!!!!

Meme...sorry for your loss:( Let your great memories help to heal your hearts.

Candicej
01-10-2012, 01:15 AM
Is this the right thread? No one been here in the last week.....

Pelvic pain is back..hope it goes away soon! Pup is on another med for kidney now. Haven't heard from the kids in Iowa if they are coming for thier x-mas gifts or if we have to take them out there later. Still got decor up and a few lights left outside.

Candicej
01-12-2012, 05:08 AM
I don't think the kids are coming, they seem to be very busy. Our son said to come out in the next month or so if they can't get here. We don't want to leave a sick dog! I took some more lights down before our blowing snow gets here but still got them out on the deck and bushes in back. Hope the neighbors don't mind...I like the lights..wish more would leave them up longer.

Candicej
01-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Its very very cold and snowy..the first of the year.....so I am hurting but I am not shoveling...it is blowing too much...we will ahve the plow do our drive later.

Happy Canuk
01-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Hi Candice. Hope you are feeling better. The winter, until Sat. night, was absolutely beautiful. As of Sat. night, the temp fell and it is now -32 and with the windchill -38. Not weather fit for man nor beast lol

Too bad the kids can't get home.

Hubby got transferred to the Edmonton area, so we will be having to move either before the end of Feb., or after the end of March. I have some surgery needing to be done, on Mar 01. Seems everything happens at once.

On New Years Eve, one of my oldest and dearest friends passed away unexpectedly. Have known her since I was 6 yrs old. It rocked me to my core, that is for sure. She was going to retire in April, right after her 65 birthday. Could have been a stroke, but the autopsy report has not yet been released. The funeral was a week ago, and I really am missing her.

Hope somebody comes to this thread, but they won't get any notification because they haven't been back to post on it.

Candicej
01-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Hi Happy...so sorry to hear about your friend....we are getting to that age where our friends are passing away. <ake sure you email me your new addrss so I can update my book. I thought hubby was retired by now? Hope the move goes well...what kind of surgery ya gonna have?

Our dog has Cushings Disease, a tumor on the pituitary and he is being treated with Chemo and other stuff. It's expensive but we wanted to see if it would help. He really doesn't seem to be in any pain or ahving any personality changes yet.

Yikes..I am up 4 pounds since the begining of Dec....I just weighed and my clothes are getting tight. Need to exercise..January I always gain...got 10 to lose plus the 4 new........oh my!

Candicej
01-27-2012, 01:34 AM
Just peeking in again:)

Happy Canuk
01-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Hi Candice. I guess our pets age just as we do. Hope the treatment helps.

I have to have an Ovarian Cyst removed. Found it when they were doing the abdominal Ultrasound last June (wanted to see if there was a reason for the blood clots). Anyway, can't do it the easy way. Must have a bikini cut, so hope it all goes well.

Hubby doesn't want to retire so will work a couple more years, I guess. He can quit anytime he likes. This will be a good move for him, as the place is a lot quiter. He works waaaaay to hard for his age. However, I think it is healthier to keep working if a person can. I may retire, but it depends on where we end up. Haven't found a place yet. I think we will move in April. That surgery comes at a bad spot, as far as moving goes. My kids are happy, as we will be moving closer to where they live, and I like it as well, as I am going "home". Have lots of family and friends in that area.

Hope you are having a nice weekend. Those pounds just appear out of nowhere. I had the stomach flu last week, lost a few pounds, had a glass of water, and back they came. Still not eating much. Just don't get it. Oh well, have to keep on trying. Good luck and hope the 14 pounds disappear for you and soon.

Candicej
01-30-2012, 07:35 AM
Happy hope the surgery goes well...at our age it will take time to recover properly so you don't make your self worse. I told dh I didn't want him to retire and he wants too in a few years. Her will get board, you can only fish so much!LOL

Joanne D
02-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Hello Everybody.. I never get notices from 3 FC and some how the time just slips by.
We had a nice Christmas and stayed a week with the daughter and family.
I am fine and seem to be staying as healthy as possible at my young age. I will be 79 next month..
We are waiting for news that our second G/Grandson has arrived. The Dr. told them this weekend,but, babies have their own time line.
My sister Eleni has just about stopped leaving her house. Her health is slowly going down hill. She is positive as she can be. But she is realistic.
My son is still out of work. he had a hopeful interview yesterday. Say a prayer for him. We help them as much as we can.
Have a good weekend and stay as healthy as you can..
Joanne

Candicej
02-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Hi Joanne....sorry to her your sis is not getting out much...I don't eitther. Hope your son finds a job.

Joanne D
02-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Candice- my sister has serious heart dx. and will never be better . I am thankful for every day/week/month/year she has..
I hope everybody has a HAPPY VALENTINE.
Joanne

Candicej
02-14-2012, 03:27 AM
Happy Valentine's Day gals:):val1::val1:

Candicej
02-14-2012, 03:29 AM
Joanne..Is your sis the one that used to post here for you???? I do not remember her being ill..sorry to hear that. I do not remember much these days!LOL

The dog is driving me nuts..having to go out all the time...his meds make him drink more so he is always begging to go out. It was pretty fresh snow out this last and not too cold but a light wind.

Candicej
02-16-2012, 03:49 AM
Headache day:(

Candicej
02-16-2012, 05:01 AM
Just went for walk in the light rain with the pup...'bout 39 out was still abit chilly.

Candicej
02-17-2012, 01:58 AM
:crazy::crazy::crazy:Achey today....and the scale is not being kind,,,spring better make a quick appearance.

Candicej
02-18-2012, 06:39 AM
:headache::headache::headache::headache:Still got a headache but took the dog for another walk....cold but you warm up by the time you are back home!

Candicej
02-19-2012, 06:16 AM
:dizzy:Hello .... hip and head still hurting and too cold for a longer type walk this am so on the pilates machine to stretch.:dizzy:

Candicej
02-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Off to the dentisit for a check up and cleaning.....yuck my jaw will hurt...will get some more walking in too;)

Happy Canuk
02-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Hi Candice. Sorry you have just been talking to yourself. I guess everybody has decided to pack it in on this thread. Hope you feel better today, and hope the dentist isn't too hard on you.

Going out for lunch in a bit - decided on the Swiss Chalet.

Surgery is sneaking up fast - 01 March. Everybody around me seems to be sick, so hears hoping and praying that I don't catch something and have to put it off.

Have a good day.

Candicej
02-22-2012, 06:00 AM
:pHI Happy..hope you can stay well for your surgery and hope all goes well. This month has flown by.:p

Meme, Joanne, Mima....where are you..hope it is not your health keeping you away!

Happy Canuk
02-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Hi Candice. Hope you are feeling better today. Headaches are just not a good thing to have - you have to move and that ache goes right along with you. Even laying down doesn't stop it. Perhaps you will need to get it checked out.l

Don't know where Meme, Joanne and Mima are. Wish they would pop in to see we are not quite 'dead in the water' here. lol

Candicej
02-23-2012, 12:37 AM
Happy have you moved yet or is that after surgery?

My headache is sinus and neck issues form falling alseep in the chair and the upa nd down weather temps. WE are getting some snow Thursday night again...not too much and with the warmer tmeps it shouldn't stay around long.

Happy Canuk
02-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Candice - I am also having sinus problems - headaches, aching face and teeth. Have been using the Otrivin Sea Salt with Aloe and it has been great. Just rinses out the sinuses very well.

Haven't moved yet - either 01 April or 01 May, depending on whether or not we find someplace to move into this weekend.

Snow expected here this weekend as well. Hope it won't amount to much. This has to be the warmest winter in recent history. Only one week of really cold weather, and tons of day over the freezing point - so nobody is complaining. Haven't had much snow either. Just makes a person wonder what is in store in the Spring!

Enjoy your day.

Candicej
02-25-2012, 03:25 AM
Happy is that a premix solution for your nose? Hope you find somewhere to move and will this be your last time to move?

Hope we do not get lots of severe spring weather!!!!

Snuggles1968
02-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Good afternoon. Wanted to stop by and I was good last night and didn't eat anything until I got up today. My goal today is to search these threads for help in creating an eating plan to reflect my restrictions. I am hopeful there will be some answers here.
oh the all too familiar pain of FM coupled with Hashimoto's (hypo-thyroidism) makes the weightloss journey difficult but not impossible. I'm new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself.
I see I'm not the only Canadian here either. Woot!

Candicej
02-28-2012, 12:08 AM
Hello snuggles...yes it is an extra effort with illness to keep your weight under control. I eat well I jsut need more steady exercise...that on days I cannot get due to pain.

Candicej
03-08-2012, 12:55 AM
NO one posting yet? This weather has been so up and down lately, more than a usual spring.

Happy how did the surgery go? Hope you are doing well:)

Happy Canuk
03-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Good morning Candice. Wello, the surgery is 1 week old today! Not running any races, that's for sure. I came home from the hopsital on Sunday, was back in ER on MOnday with this dang Atrial Fibrillation. Finally got the staples out yesterday. HOme care came and removed them.

I need a few weeks to feel better, and no driving for at least another week.

Diet wise, this is ok. I am back on the Warfarin, so have to limit my vitamin K veggies, but if I eat the same amount each week, they adjust the Warfarin to that. The idea is to keep it stable.

Hope all is well with you. Aren't you glad you didn't get bombarded with a LOT of snow this winter? I would have to say, that SPRING seems to be on it's way, but this is Alberta, and one NEVER knows for sure.

Candicej
03-09-2012, 06:57 AM
Happy glad you are ok and getting better each day even if it is slow! ;) Did you find a place to move into? You are probably pretty well scalled down by now with all your moves....me I sitll have too much stuff..plan to get rid of some but need help with lifting heavy boxes and stuff and with my cleaning help gone for almost a year now it is hard to do it all...since sh can't lift or do stuff that will hurt his back.

Wish the gals would post her more....miss them.....:(:(:(

It was very brisk out this am when I took the pup out..too cold to walk much, it tenses me up.

Yes so glad we did not get much snow..just and inch or two at a time this year and not often.

Here's to a speedy recovery! Do you have a pacemaker?

Joanne D
04-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Sorry to not be around much.. I just seem to be forever doing something for someone. Mainly my hubby.. I look forward to 7 pm everyday as that seems the time I can relax.
HAPPY EASTER EVERYBODY..
Orthodox Easter is next weekend. We are going to our son's Sunday and they will come here next weekend.. I only have very close family anymore. There will be five of us next weekend if our daughter comes down. She lives in N/Florida. It is a long trip for just a couple days. I do love seeing her though.
Stay well..Joanne

Candicej
06-08-2012, 05:05 AM
Hi Joanne....I keep forgetting to come back here, since no one posts much anymore....been very busy in the yard!

Hope everyone is doing ok:)

Candicej
06-08-2012, 05:13 AM
:dizzy:

Candicej
06-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Hello.........

Joanne D
06-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Hello Everybody.. I am sorry to not keep up.. Things have been very hectic in my life lately.
Our son and his wife moved in with us and now I am trying to get used to that. They have been helpful and that is nice.
I have had a couple times back in the hospital. Don't feel my best.
Have a Good weekend and week .
Joanne

Candicej
06-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Hi Joanne...it's good you have them there so they can help you:) Hope you feel better soon...all is ok here busy with yard work and house stuff as usual:) Pain pretty good when I get up but after I do all my stuff...well I hurt!LOL

Candicej
06-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Outside watering all this week..way too dry for this time of year and hot.

Joanne D
06-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Candice we have just been getting some rain after a couple years. Florida has been in a drought
Kids helping.. Not feeling good yet..
Joanne

Candicej
06-15-2012, 03:41 AM
Joanne..sending you (((HUGS))) and a speedier recovery!Glad the kids are there for your:)

Joanne D
06-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Hello Candice.. to top off my week , I fell in the house and hurt my side ,upper chest. I got a good jar and now have some pain. I doubt anything broken.. If it were a rib they wouldn't do anything about it anyway.
My kids are being a big help. I think they may want their own place but that is out for right now... My daughter was down from N/ Florida for a few days. We went shopping and she went with me to some Dr. appointments.
Hope Everyone has a nice weekend.
Joanne

Candicej
06-16-2012, 02:40 AM
Hi Joanne..glad you didn't break anything! I am always tripping on something but usually catch myself before I fall. Hope you get to feeling a bit better...but again so glad the kids are there too help you out. Is DH doing ok and your sis????????

I am still watering, cleaned the cats room the other day form top to bottom and am hurting really bad..mostly my right hip...a sharp pian when I try to cross my legs, never had that before...if it is not gone in 2 weeks will see a doc I guess...never know waht is Fibro and what is not.

Are you able to go on your beach walks anymore?

Candicej
06-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Hurt my back today.....hope it heals fast....beendoing too much I guess.

Joanne D
06-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Candice, I am slowly feeling better..
My hubby is getting weaker and although he won't give up the driving the car . He can't walk very well.He sleeps more than he is awake. We are doing the best we can with him. He is a stubborn Greek. Ha.
My sisters health has gone downhill ,but, she has still tried to stay strong. She does as much as she can . Her daughter and G/daughter are always there to help. Her hubby is a jewel among men. Not many like him.
My son and his wife are good to help me.. Our daughter lives 200 miles away but comes down and helps when she can. We go shopping when she is here.
I hope you are feeling better soon.Back pain is no fun..
Looks like most of the other friends have left us.. I see Tammy and Mimi on Facebook now..
Have a Good Day..
Joanne

Candicej
06-21-2012, 09:03 AM
That is scary if he won't give up driving!!!!

Nice you sis ahs a good amn to take of her.

I still can't bend due to my back and do stairs due to my knee.....tryting to get some rest..b ut it;s hard.

Candicej
06-21-2012, 09:07 AM
What names are MiMI and Tammy under on FB....

Joanne D
06-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Candice Mimio it might br Mima< Is Enerestine Maxwell and Tammy is here as Tammy I am Joanne D

Candicej
06-24-2012, 03:24 AM
Knee and back are slowly getting better...Joanne how are you doing?

Joanne D
06-24-2012, 10:07 AM
I have felt better.. trying to hold out till 5th July for Dr. appointment..

Candicej
06-25-2012, 09:33 AM
((((((HUGS)))))

Candicej
06-25-2012, 09:34 AM
The landscapers are supposed to finish up today..they never made it last week.

Joanne D
06-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Are you living in a different house this year? You seem to always have a project going..
We got a lot of rain yesterday. May or may not get more today.. Lots flooding in the county. I was not bothered by it.. Christie was o k with the rain . She went out as usual in the rain. Some dogs just won't do that.
have a good week.. I got to work harder on my weight..
Joanne

Fibrofighter
07-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Hello! I am new to 3fc and am glad to find support with others who have fibro. I am currently trying to lose weight using WW. I used WW in 2001 very successfully, but stopped tracking and eventually gained weight again. Then a back injury and my fibro diagnosis came and I gained even more. I was successful in losing weight without a great change in my activity, but I am worried that I won't be as successful this time since my activity level is so reduced. I can walk for 15 minutes and do stretching to keep my joints loose and strengthen my back, but that is about it. Any time I have to walk a great deal in the day I have to use my electric scooter to get through it.

A short intro to me: I am happily married and have 2 kids; DS16 and DD14. I also have 2 dogs; one medium sized mutt that looks like a rottweiler was squished in a vice (he has a lean body and lean face, but the coloring of a Rott.) and one 17 lb Chihuahua/Pomeranian mutant (he is in my avatar). I used to be a middle school science and math teacher, but I quit due to the fibro. I am trying to get into training people on software part-time.

Joanne D
07-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Hello Fibrofighter.. I too am trying to get back into my WW way of eating.. It is not easy as our grown son and his wife are living with us and there are snacks all over the place.. I started new today. I will see how long I can last. I need to lose about 15 lbs to get back to goal.
I don't have Fibro but a list of other things.. I won't bore you with my complaints.. I don't like to think about them..
Stick around ,maybe, we can help each other..
My hubby is a retired teacher and I am a retired nurse.Our son is a out of work Architect. Thank God his wife has a good job.Things are not so good here in Florida in his field. Our daughter is a teacher.
Hello Candice.. Hope you are getting relief with your back.
Have a Good Day and 4th.
Joanne

DivineFidelity
07-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Hi everyone!

My mother was diagnosed with Fibro years ago, and also has degenerative disk disease.

Over the past few months we have found out I have two bulging disks, and when treatments for that pain weren't making me feel better the doctor turned to Fibro (side-note: I also have PCOS and Endometriosis). I just took my first Cymbalta this morning, and I feel better then I have felt in years! I thought that all of those aches and pains I had were normal, and that everyone felt like that. I'm almost in tears thinking about how I've been in so much pain without realizing why, and just trying to ignore it and live my life. This is all new to me. I'm almost in shock right now. When the doctor told me, I thought it was a sentence to be in pain for the rest of my life, and I cried all day. I see how miserable my mom is (the medications don't work for her, and the one combination that did had too many side effects and she was still miserable) and I was scared that the rest of my life would be like that...

I am amazed to find this much relief with the Cymbalta. I'm completely new to this, and I don't know what the future holds, but this definitely explains why it has been so hard for me to motivate myself to work out, because it always hurt so much. Hopefully now that I have a diagnosis and treatment plan, that will help me actually be able to start getting active again.

I wish that there was more information available about Fibromyalgia out there. I told some close friends I had been diagnosed with Fibro, and they laughed at me and told me that wasn't even a real thing. They thought the whole thing was made up. It really made me angry/hurt, and I didn't really know how to handle it. Has anyone else ever been in that kind of situation?

I'm trying to lose weight with WW at home (not paying for it, just using the program)....and I haven't been very successful yet because I just went off birth control (I've been on hormones for 13 years because of PCOS and I don't feel it's safe anymore) and I've been gaining wait even thought my eating hasn't changed. It's probably just water weight from all the hormone changes. I hope...

A couple years ago I lost 70 pounds and was down to 180, my lowest adult weight ever. I've gained all of that +12 more back over the course of the past 2 years. I've got to get it off because I feel unhealthy and because my boyfriend and I are beginning to talk about marriage and children (because of the PCOS I'm afraid of waiting too long to have children) and I don't want to try having a child at this weight. I would be scared for my health, and the health of the baby. I'm currently around 262, and want to get down to around 155. I have over 100 pounds to lose, and it's a little overwhelming...especially with this new diagnosis. The Cymbalta has given me hope though....and that's something I desperately needed.

Sorry for the long post guys >.<

Fibrofighter
07-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Hello Joanne! I do know it is a challenge to change eating habits when there are others in the house. I am in charge of making dinner, so I can control that and have options for me and them. Avoiding their snacks is the hardest.

DivineFidelity: I am so glad the Cymbalta is helping you. As far as the naysayers go, I was fortunate that no friends acted that way, but I have had several doctors who were less than sympathetic. As far as information goes, there are 2 organizations that I rely on: NFA (National Fibromyalgia Association) and Fibromyalgia Network. They both have websites and magazines. Fibromyalgia Network does not have ads and reports more on studies than NFA. You can get back issues from Fibromyalgia Network. I found them very helpful when I was first diagnosed. The book "The First Year - Fibromyalgia" by Claudia Craig Marek is very good. Since you are getting married, I recommend the book "Beyond Chaos" by Gregg Piburn for your boyfriend. It is written by a man whose wife has fibro. I bought both on Amazon. If you have any questions, you can send me a private message here.
I am surprised you gained weight coming off the hormones because I gained weight after starting them and this is what pushed my to try to lose weight again.

Happy 4th of July!

DivineFidelity
07-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Fibrofighter: Thanks for the information. We're not new to all this, my mom was diagnosed a long time ago so she's been living with it for years, but I don't know as much about it as I probably should. Have you heard anything about changes in diet that can help? I've read so many conflicting things I don't know what to believe.
As for the hormones...My doctor said it's because I was on them for so long without any breaks. I originally did have some weight gain, but I was 9 years old and growing so it wasn't really noticeable. It leveled off after a couple of years though....and then I was on it for 10 more years after that. I think my body just isn't used to being without the hormones. My ritalin and Cymbalta both suppress my appetite though, more then is probably good. I have to force myself to eat. I just make sure I'm eating enough WW points each day, so I know I'm not starving myself. I don't even think about food anymore, I have to set an alarm on my phone to remind me to eat lunch. It's pretty bad, but as long as I make sure I'm eating I don't think it's a reason to stop taking the medicines.
I will definitely look into those books, especially "Beyond the Chaos". My boyfriend seems to deal well with it (i'm assuming I've had it since the pain and memory loss and sleep problems started which was years ago), but sometimes he can say insensitive things without realizing it, mostly about my forgetfulness.

I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of july! I ate a lot of broccoli, a little potatoes, and some fruit.....I didn't want anything else after that, I had to force myself to eat that much. Then we shot off fireworks, which was definitely fun. :)

Diona
07-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Hi Fibrofighter! I'm Diona, and I got diagnosed with Fibro officially the last part of April. All in all, I think I'd been misdiagnosed for years...but hey. It's a new thing, now that it's acknowledged in the medical community as real. I found out a lot from my neurologist about what they know so far with the syndrome, and it is real. I am currently doing the South Beach Diet, that works for me quite well, as far as food and nutritional needs. And I'm taking Lyrica (finally!) but that has its drawbacks as one of the main side-effects is edema and the other main one is weight gain. I don't care, I'm going to succeed anyway! Still working at walking with some amount of coordination, and getting up to 20-30 minutes every 3rd day..when I start hurting I just tell myself that "this will not kill you and it will not hurt you other than pain, and pain you can deal with for a little while" Then I pretty much collapse and have a few down days, but it is getting easier!! Today I put on a top that I haven't been able to wear (too small!!!) and it is tight-ish. I put it back in the drawer with a grin and told me "This is your goal shirt! When you can put this on in a week or so, you can really celebrate how great you are!", then put on another top that I couldn't wear for over a year..and its a little bit loose on me! PROGRESS!!!!!!!!!!! Celebrate small victories...they add up to huge victories! :D

Joanne D
07-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Hello Everybody.. Still having a problem with my eating..
I have a nasty heel spur. It has been injected and I have been given medication. I see the podiatrist Friday. Hope he can do something. It has been a month now.Lots of pain..It has limited my walking.. I don't walk the 4 miles a day anymore . Knees are gone and I can't have the surgery due to my health.
We have been getting some good rain.. We sure needed it..
Hello Candice, Happy. I hope you are well..
Joanne

Happy Canuk
07-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Hi Joanne and all the new gals. It's nice to see some new people arrive on this thread. We have been quite quiet for too long.

Diona - A big pat on the back for you for your attitude. It is great and will get you far. Knowledge is power and FM is painful; it doesn't take the pain away, but at least you know the cause of it and that it won't kill you - so they say! I haven't been on Lyrica and probably won't go on it, due to other meds I take. Glad it's helping you, and good luck with your eating program.

DivineFidelity - a higher protein diet is what they used to say. I am glad that Cymbalta has helped you. I know it works well for quite a few people with FM. I hope that you have been having good results with the WW program.

Fibrofighter - This syndrome takes away so much of the life we are accustomed to, but it isn't the end of life. Doors open in other directions. Hope all is going well for you.

Candice - how are YOU doing.

I know that the heat for most of us, has been bad this year. I, for one, feel miserable with too much humidity and that seemed to come with the heat this year. Hope all are well.

Joanne D
07-20-2012, 06:40 PM
Yes , I too have been quiet.. Things have made a change at my house. Our son and his wife have moved in.. They are a big help,sometimes too much.. I don't want to ask too much of them. I am still able to do for myself in a lot of things.
I have a lot of problems with my feet. Lots of pain. The podiatrist said that bone spurs don't cause pain. Just excess tissue and my high arches. So they sold me 50.00 inserts for my shoes.. Expensive but if it helps so what. I have hardly been able to walk by evening times lately .
It has been really hot down here to. We did get some rain this week so that helped.
Have a good weekend Everybody..
Joanne

sandramac
07-29-2012, 06:24 AM
This is my first post, and I hope I am in the right place. I am 62, have fibromyalgia, and I used to walk up to ten miles per day, both to keep my weight down, and to keep my spirits up. Last year, a drunk driver hit our van and threw my disabled (quadriplegic) husband and I 500 feet into a field. Fortunately, I only badly sprained my right ankle, and twisted my neck, but that is my pain side. The swelling and pain made the ankle unworkable, according to my physiotherapist. I have an ankle brace and orthotics I wear daily. I, too, have been advised that ankle or heel spurs do not cause pain, but you could fool me! Some days, even with a cane, I cannot put weight on my foot, because that sets off ankle pain and swelling, then hip pain, back pain, neck pain, finally, headache.

I used to do yoga -- lifelong. However, my orthopedic doctor said that anything that produced pain flareups should be avoided, as I am now at the age when arthritis is setting into my injury sites. So, with reduced activity, the weight naturally comes on. And that exacerbates the pain. It also makes sleep difficult, which increases the fibromyalgia pain. I refuse to take SSRI or antidepressants; they have not worked before, and I fear the added weight gain I always hear comes from taking these medications.

My dear husband is very supportive, but since I am supposed to be the able-bodied one, there are so many things that need doing that don't get done. Frustrating.

I am on a protein shake meal replacement for dinner, with a high fiber grain and herb cereal replacement with almond milk for breakfast, to combat constipation. I try to drink water often, throughout the day, and have herbal tea with Splenda, late night, before bed. My weight has remained twenty pounds heavier than it has ever been except when I was pregnant. It is stable, but not moving, no matter what else I do, what I eat, nor how much I exercise within my limitations. I am so uncomfortable,nothing fits, and I cannot afford a new wardrobe.

Sorry this is so long. I guess I had better copy and paste it into a notepad file, in case it is rejected. If I am in the wrong place to post an introductory post, I apologize. I am new here, and just seeking validation and support. Please forgive me if I have offended anyone by posting in the wrong place. I realize there have to be a lot of rules, to keep the forum from breaking down, to keep it interesting to others, and to eliminate spam. I have read the rules, and the FAQ, and hope I am compliant. Thanks.

Joanne D
07-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Welcome all you new people.. I too have heel pain. I have heel spurs that I was told do not cause pain. It has been a month and half that it has been very painful to walk. I was sold some inserts for my shoes that has helped some.. For fifty dollars they should help.
My weight is 10 pounds more than I want. I keep trying.. I used to walk 4 miles a day to keep my weight down. I can't do that anymore. Bad knees and being 80 years next March has slowed me down..
We had a visit from our nephew and his family yesterday. We haven't seen them in a year. They live across the state in Orlando and are very busy.. It was a pleasant afternoon. We gave them lunch and had a nice visit and catch up..
Hello Candice and Happy.. I hope you are well and the summer is being kind to you. There are so many people in a drought and I know are wishing for rain.. We have had some but it seems there is never enough..
Have a good week..
Joanne

Happy Canuk
07-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Hello Sandra and welcome to this thread. You are in the right place.

Sounds like you have not had a fun time the past while. Injury can sure set weightloss back, or it can start weightgain. In my case, it was the gain. It's ok though, because I am still on this side of the grass and that is the most important thing.

You do have a bit of a challenge having to look after hubby as well. That can't be easy, when you have such a hard time yourself.

Instead of those carbs try protein for a few days, and limit the carbs to 60-90 a day. See if that will help nudge those pounds.

I am a carb addict. Don't care for a lot of protein but have been trying this for the past 5 days, and I am down a good 5 pounds, perhaps 6. I am hoping this will work for me. I have tried so many diets, but they are mostly CARB based and, of course, that is easy for me to eat. I am switiching up a LOT of stuff and it seems to be working - AT the moment.

Joanne - Nice you had a visit from your nephew. I had one of those last week. My nephew and his wife are being transfered to Houston, Texas, so they stopped in to say goodbye. I sure enjoyed the visit we had with them. I remember being that young and full of optimism. It's great.

I sure would like to send the rain to SOMEBODY other than here. I am more than willing to share it. We have rain everyday. Even last night, during the night, there was a shower, but those are the ones I like. Wake up in the morining and the air is fresh and smells amazing. We haven't had steady rain, but it gets annoying to plan anything. It doesn't just sprikle, it comes thundering down. July is going down as the 5th wettest month since they started recording temps. So much flooding and uprooted trees. August is a calmer month, so MAYBE it will be different. The days have been really hot as well, so the humidity is high, and that causes pain.

As for no pain in the feet from heelspurs. I had such a sore foot a few years ago, it was so darn painful, Dr. THOUGHT it WAS a heelspur. Turns out it was a broken metatorsil bone on the side of my foot. Also, this toe I had surgery on, is ok as far as getting my shoes on, but it hurts when I walk and it tends to swell, so not very comfortable.

I hope you all have a good day. Candice, come on out and play for a while.

Mima
08-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Yikes I have been away so long, I first need to tell you that I have a massage wand-Conair-14 bucks in Walmart, I use it for my feet because I have had plantar fascitiis in the past, It really works,
I have 3 kinds of arthritis and do stretching exercises for a half hour in the morning-mostly because I had back surgery last year which has improved my life big time.And I take a couple of different meds to help me sleep because lack of deep sleep is one cause of fibro.Enough preaching.
I am so glad to see your posts Anne and Joanne,
We ahve had a nice summer here but lots of rain-sporadic. We have been camping a couple of times-my husband actually built a small one.
We bought another car and left one in FL so now we can fly back and forth.Already have the tickets. That ride was not fun for me.
My new granddaughter is 6 months old and has feeding problems-she is ony 11 lbs. But she has reached all her other milestones. My son and his wife have been to doc after doc=the latest at MAss General which is the number one hospital in America, They put her on baby prilosec because she may have gerd. I will try to post her pic if I have one.
Lily is over 2 and her dad has gone back to Afghanistan for 10 months. She sure misses him-she calls my daughter dada. He recorded a book on cd and sent it to her-she was thrilled.
Is Meme missing too.
Nice to have new people-boy we are all in the same boat. I started taking Neurontin at night-a little ike Lyrica,
Well-bye for now-look what happens when you haven't been on for long. Mima can;t upload

Happy Canuk
08-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Mimi, it has been such a long time since I have seen a post from you.

When did you have back surgery? I am so glad it has helped you. Those backs cause havoc in all parts of the body it seems. I guess because all the nerves are attached to the spine.

Another gbaby as well. Hard to believe that Lily is already 2. Sorry for the little one and her problems. Hope she gets better soon.

I see you are still travelling to Florida and that is good.

Haven't heard from Meme for a very long time. I don't go to Facebook, but next time you go, would you drop a line on her Wall and ask her to come visit. Even Candice is missing. Wish she would come on back. Have you heard from Tammy? I sur ehope she is well now.

Take care. Hearing from you is like having a nice big hug.

Mima
08-02-2012, 06:29 AM
I can't get in touch with them/ My Aunt-favorite Aunt-89-fell and broke her hip last Feb and is in ong term rehab. She has failed a lot. Going to see her todaay. Mima

sandramac
08-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Thank you, Happy Canuck, for the welcome and the advice.

I will have to see where I am sabotaging myself, and will start a food diary. Although I do not think I eat a lot of carbs, portions may be creeping up in little but significant ways. Thanks for giving me a target range for carbs within which to work.

I take gabapentin, lorazepam, clonazepam, and benadryl for sleep and allergies. Lack of deep, long sleep is a significant issue for me, due to pain and the need to assist my husband to reposition half-way through the night (he is quadriplegic). So, I may be a getting lax in portion control for my few "luxury" carbs like coffee whitener. I will return to carefully measuring every component in my meals. I prepare all our food, so that should be easy..

Although I take gabapentin, lorazepam, and clonazepam for sleep and panic attacks, I do not think I get enough deep REM sleep, which as we all know is so important to minimize fibromyalgia. Pain wakes me frequently in the night. It is easy to slip up, when you are sleepy during the day!

Now that I am ready to begin more serious exercise, I think I will include my miles and speed for cycling and walking, and log my weights and reps for strength training. Pain keeps me from doing everything I should be doing, regularly, but if I write down what I have done each day, I believe I will see where I can make changes.

I know there are on-line sites you can record and track your mileage and reps with weights, but I do not have the links handy, right now. I am liking this idea more and more. Thank you so much for the advice!

Candicej
08-06-2012, 04:57 AM
Hello Newbies...good to see lots of chat over here:)

Happy send me the rain..we are in the worst drought ever..I have been lugging hoses and sprinklers around all summer!!!!! Not the year to have new landscaping put in!

Joanne...we are in the same house 4 yrs. now but still doing upgrades and stuff. I am still not officially unpacked! I need a 2 bedroom sets and a dinning room set and office furniture....just tires me out to go shopping anymore. I fight with planter fascitis like Mima. My orthotics help and and my Birkenstocks.

My pain has been pretty good this summer except for my pulled back muscle that is better now. Doing all my own cleaning hurts me terribly.
The gal that did it quit over a year ago. Using a step ladder gets my hips hurting and stuff up high needs done too!LOL

I will tell Meme to come visit..she is doing ok, slowed down a lot I think. and Tammy just got back Ireland. She looks great inher pics she posted.

Well hope to get back more often now that I am not talking ot myself.

All newbies..been there done that ya just gotta find what works for you....everyone is so different. Me I can't tolorate a lot of meds and I do WW on my own..but have not been walking do to the heat lately and it takes the walking to lose the weight. Do pilates on a machine at my own apce to helps me to stretch things out. Will look up those books suggested.

Have a great daY:):):):)

Mima...good to see you and glad your surgery is still having a positive affect for you. Another baby..great! My neice just had a cute little girl..they are so sweet.

MemeToo
08-09-2012, 01:45 AM
Looks like the thread is finally alive again. I did check back quite a bit a long time ago but no one was ever here so I quit. Glad to see everyone back and some new people as well.

I have been sliding down a slippery slope. The pain is getting measurably worse, esp in hands and feet/ankles. I still do most of my housework and shopping but it's getting harder now and I'm requiring more help. I don't do anything at church except sing and occasionally teach a class (not often that).

But, let me say I'm not complaining! I'm happy ... I'm ok. I'm staying home more and learning to let things go. I've learned that it's 'mind over matter' - things do not matter if you don't mind and there are just so many things that don't matter to me any more since I've lost my mind!

New people (new to fibro) I've been diagnosed with fibro for 35 years now (I'm 65) and it will make you believe you are losing your mind ... not to fear, that's just the fibro fog. It's hard to deal with at times but just get a grip and have a laugh at yourself. It's not the end of the world when you can't find your keys or put the empty can in the fridge instead of the trash. Exercise helps but some days you just hurt too bad to move. Getting off white flour and sugar helps but some days you just have to have something sweet or you'll DIE! (and some days you have to have choc or you'll kill somebody else) Welcome to Fibromyalgia. I also have Osteo and Rheumatoid Arthritis and Anemia plus a few other things that won't kill me but just make me wish I was somewhere besides on earth some days. The moral of the story is, take one day at a time and each day one hour at a time. Do a lot of research and find what works best for you. Don't take any meds offered by any Doc until you have checked out the side effects and made sure you're willing to take the risks. Good luck! You're flying by the seat of your pants on this one b/c it's an individual thing. No two people are exactly the same.

Candicej
08-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Great to see you Meme:)

MemeToo
08-10-2012, 12:50 AM
Oh GEE! I hope you can't actually SEE me!! :eek: LOL

Candicej
08-10-2012, 02:58 AM
Now that's the Meme i know:) LOL

Happy Canuk
08-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Hi Candice and Meme. Long time since we have been on here together. I believe we were all on from the beginning several years ago.

Candice - I would like nothing better than to send this rain to you. It would be ok if it was just rain, but every single night it is a thunder storm, with pounding rain. Beautiful during the day. We have had floods, fires, downed trees on homes and cars, and just plain bedlam. The fellow from Environment Canada was on last night, saying that the reason our weather is behaving so strangely, is because we are getting American air (from the South) that is hot and humid, thus causing all these storms. We usually get the Canadian Air (from the north, or from the west) and it is dry. We usually have 46 thunder storms during the summer, somewhere in the Province of Alberta, and this year, so far, we have had over 92 and there is still 6 weeks to go!!

I am glad you have been feeling good. That is great. Still haven't got your house together? That would drive me crazy. I need organization. Quite liking my new place and like living closer to the family.

Meme - At last you have learned to say NO!! I know you were practicing before this board got so quiet. :) I am not happy to hear that you are not feeling well and having a harder time of it.

I guess this getting older is not for the faint of heart. A year ago I ended up in the ER with DVT and Pulmonary Embolisms. Have now joined the ranks of the Warfarin people. In march I had a major surgery, and have still not completely bounced back from it. Get tired much to fast, but that could be from the embolisms. We moved closer to Edmonton, in May, and that has been a good move. Next up will be the sugar levels. It never ends. I am cutting out a lot of stuff, but doubt it will help. The Beta Blocker I take increases your change of Diabetes by 30% and a predisposition to Diabetes as well, increases it even more. All I can do is try and keep the levels of everything stable. My oldest brother (70 yrs old) has just been diagnosed with Diabetes and he also takes a Beta Blocker and he exercises and walks like a mad man. Not me:o My toe hurts too much when I walk to far.

My other brother has been a Diabetic since he was in his 30's and my Mom was also. Grandfather, nephew, cousins. Asked the Dr., and he said unfortunatley, there isn't much of anything that works as well for the Atrial Fib. Don't need all this help. All these meds we take, just seem to cause other problems.

Well now I have written a novel and I must get to the grocery store. Have a family reunion on Sunday, so have been trying to get stuff ready. Be gone tomorrow, so won't get much done then.

You two take care, and it's nice to hear from you both.

Candicej
08-11-2012, 04:47 AM
HI Happy..glad you are liking your new move:)...There is so much junk here from mom's stuff and MIL's stuff and then my stuff that my kids have not gone through yet....it was stressing me out so I just ignore it! Need to scale down, but since my help quit last summer and we were going to start on boxes...well...no gonna happen any time soon and dh is not much help and I can't do it all myself. We are still very dry here and hot.....

Can just eating differently keep the diabetes away with your meds causing it? I have been pre for years WEll....... Walking does it for me..but then I don't walk enough when I don't feel well..I have foot pain too:(

Candicej
08-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Finally cooler here:)

Happy Canuk
08-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Hi Candice. Glad you have cooled off some. It's much cooler here as well, and our Canadian Air has returned (from the North) cooler and dry. We were getting the American Air coming from the South, and that was hot and so humid. My poor body dislikes humidity.

I guess today is the last day of the Olympics. Haven't watched too much of it, as I prefer the winter olympics.

Yes, it is prediabetes and I will have to start trying to walk some each day. Some days it just hurts so badly and then the pad on the ball of the foot swells up. So uncomfortable. I can't stop taking the meds, so I will have to do something and hope it works.

Have a good day. Off to a Family Reunion today.

Candicej
08-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Happy have fun at your reunion:)

Happy Canuk
08-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Reunion was good. Always nice to catch up with everybody and the weather was perfect.

I feel so foggy and loggy today - raining and cloudy. It will be gone soon and we will be back to nice weather. Perhaps then I will be more "with it".

Hope all is well. Meme, come back and don't stay away so darn long. Joanne, where are YOU as well.

Mima - you popped in one day, so hope you do again.

Candicej
08-15-2012, 03:08 AM
Happy glad you had a nice time...we had cloudy and drizzley the other day but we are still in a serious drought!!!! I would love a few or maybe a week of steady rain! I am hurting a bit form the weatehr going upa nd down..hot one day and not the next...I need the perfect kind of weather!!!! :)

did some light yardwork today...need to trya nd walk again I guess.

sandramac
08-15-2012, 04:50 AM
Hi, all,

I read several mentions about rain, over the past few days. We had rain and cooler weather here in Saskatchewan, too. We didn't get a lot of rain, but the gloom and drizzle seemed to catch me off guard.

One thing that really helped me, this past weekend was that a friend of ours came for dinner the other night, and my husband had asked her in advance to help me with some things around the house.

One advantage of being married to a disabled man is that he, of necessity, has no problem asking for help. He asks for help when he needs it, and doesn't waste time or energy apologizing or justifying it.

All I could bring myself to ask for was help vacuuming the living room and master bath. My inability to get it done, with the yard work and everything else this summer, had really depressed me, lately.

She is a great friend, newly single and returned to town, so she could use the distraction, and I need the help. Even with an ankle brace, and all else I do and take to control the fibromyalgia, sometimes, I need help, and it is so difficult for me to ask.

Just having the one task done, even if not by me, lifts the depression that always dogs fibromyalgia and chronic pain, and keeps me from doing the other things for myself to lose the weight.

Before it rained, I have been cycling every day, and I reduced my carbohydrate intake by 38 grams per day.That's just two slices of bread... I've lost 2 pounds! And, I have been back to working with weights, just 8 pounds, but that is usually where I start after I have been away from them. Now, to keep it up!

Joanne D
08-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Well I wrote a good sized post and it is somewhere out in space..I will make this short unless it shows up.
Florida will take any rain sent our way.
I fell last week and I guess nothing is fractured as I am walking. Just got a lot of pain..
I talked and saw my brother in AZ on Skype this weekend. It was amazing and a lot of fun. We laughed a lot. I haven't seen him in over a year. He will be here in March. I will be 80. I don't want them to plan anything more than a cookout here at home..I am sorta quiet these days.
I now have 2 G/G/Grandsons.
My Grand daughter is getting married in April. That will be a nice time. I am looking forward to it.
Have a Great Weekend.
Joanne

Happy Canuk
08-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Dr. Pellegrino has seen thousands of fibromyalgia patients in his practice at Ohio Pain & Rehab Specialists, and has had fibro himself since childhood. This information is reproduced here by popular demand, with his kind permission.*

Weight Gain

A common problem observed in Fibromyalgia is weight gain. Many patients complain to me that weight gain became a major problem once Fibromyalgia established itself.

It is not unusual for a person to put on a 25- to 30- pound weight gain in the first year after Fibromyalgia was diagnosed. Various factors are involved in weight gain and include:

1. Decreased Metabolism

Various hormone changes can slow down the metabolism in Fibromyalgia. Studies have shown hormone deficiencies or imbalances (cortisol, thyroid, serotonin, growth hormone) in Fibromyalgia. Insulin and other hormones are probably affected as well.

Dr. Leslie J. Crofford** has described hormonal abnormalities in Fibromyalgia and how they interfere with physiologic communication between the brain and the body. Closely linked with hormones is the autonomic nervous system. The autonomic nerves are the small nerves vital in the coordination of the body’s hormones, and thus they play a role in the regulation and delivery of nutrients to our cells.

The hypoglycemic roller-coaster effect is a good example of the combination of hormonal endocrine imbalances and autonomic nervous system dysfunction leading to hypoglycemic symptoms. Overall, neuroendocrine abnormalities in Fibromyalgia probably interfere with the body’s metabolism (by decreasing it), and part of the treatment involves replacing or supplementing hormones to help improve the body’s metabolism.

A slower body metabolism means fewer calories are burned on a daily basis to “run” the body’s machinery. If fewer calories are burned with no change occurring in calories consumed, weight gain will result over time. Also, women in their late 30s and 40s often develop Fibromyalgia along the same time as early menopause (decreased estrogen). This can further decrease metabolism and increase the potential for weight gain.

2. Hypoglycemia (Abnormally Low Blood Sugar)

As I mentioned earlier, increased sensitivity to insulin will result in too much glucose being removed from the blood stream and pushed into the muscle. All this extra glucose pushed into the muscles has nowhere to go as the muscles have very limited ability to store glucose.

The body is forced to go into a fat-storing mode where it converts this extra glucose into fatty tissue. Contrary to the popular myth that obesity is a result of eating too much fatty foods, obesity is usually the result of eating too many carbohydrates. A carbohydrate rich diet causes weight gain by converting the extra glucose into fat and, if Fibromyalgia causes more insulin activity and sensitivity, then the weight gain can be even greater.

Another myth is that most overweight people overeat. Actually, most overweight people do not overeat. They may have a craving for carbs, and the carbs are easily converted to fat. Fibromalgia facilitates this process. A diet modified in protein and lower in carbs may help.

3. Medicines

Side effects of medicines used to treat Fibromyalgia can cause weight gain by decreasing metabolism, altering hormones, causing fluid retention, and increasing appetite. The most common offending medicines are the antidepressants.

Medicines such as estrogen and prednisone can also contribute to weight gain. If certain medicines are causing weight gain they may need to be stopped or adjusted depending on the individual’s medical needs.

4. Decreased Activity Due to Pain

People with Fibromyalgia hurt more and are not as active because activity increases pain. Thus, it is difficult to increase the energy expenditure or calorie burning related to exercise and activity. Less calories burned can mean weight gain. Any treatment program in Fibromyalgia must include attempts at increasing overall activity level.

RATIONALE

We’ve discussed some of the basic problems of Fibromyalgia, the metabolism changes and the dysfunctional carbohydrate responses, especially. The problems contribute considerably to many of our most bothersome symptoms, including aching; fatigue; brain fog; irritability; anxiety; dizziness; carbohydrate craving; irritable bowel syndrome; food intolerance; and food sensitivity.

The American “diet aggravates and perpetuates our Fibromyalgia problems. We may have tolerated the higher carb, low fat diet before we got Fibromyalgia, but since we got Fibromyalgia, this diet no longer works for us and it’s probably making it worse.

• Because of our slow metabolism, it is difficult for us to eat less and notice a difference.

• Because of our pain, it is difficult for us to increase our exercise level to burn off more calories.

• Ideally, we need a diet that improves the efficiency of our calories burned by providing us with the right “quality” of food to enhance our metabolism and calorie-burning abilities.

FOODS THAT ARE OKAY

1. Good proteins.

• Meats, such as lean meats, skinless chicken, turkey and fish. Lean cuts of steaks, sausage, and bacon contain higher amounts of saturated fats so they should be kept to a minimum.

• Eggs. This breakfast staple is a great source of protein; egg whites are healthier.

• Tofu.

• Soy meat substitutes.

• Dairy products. These include cheese, cream, butter, skim milk, cottage cheese and unsweetened yogurt. Try for low fat dairy products.

• Legumes. This class includes beans, peas, peanuts, lentils, and soybeans.

2. Good carbohydrates

• All vegetables. Vegetables are a source of carbs that are highest in fiber and lowest in sugar. Some vegetables such as corn have more carbs than others.

• Fresh fruits. Avocado, raspberries and strawberries have the least carbohydrates of fruits. Avoid dried fruits.

3. Good fats

• Plant oils, especially olive and coconut oil. Other vegetable oils are acceptable including soy, corn, sunflower and peanut.

• Fish oils (rich in Omega-3)

• Almonds

• Avocados

4. Others

• Salad garnishes which include nuts, olives, bacon, grated cheese, mushrooms and other vegetables are allowed.

• Flaxseed oil. A healthy supplement which contains essential fats.

• Artificial sweeteners and sugar-free beverages are allowed in moderation. If you feel you are sensitive to aspartame, avoid products that contain it (NutraSweet) or substitute a different artificial sweetener, such as sucralose (Slenda) or saccharin (Sweet’n Low). Stevia is a sweet supplement alternative to sugar. Xylitol is another one of nature’s sweeteners like Stevia that won’t raise blood sugar levels and can substitute for sugar.

[Note: Dr. Pellegrino’s detailed list of FOODS TO AVOID includes what you don’t see here, such as sweets; breads & pastas, especially white-flour based; rice, especially white; potatoes; partially hydrogenated oils (trans fats); carbonated drinks; alcohol except in moderation. See also his review of the hormonal and nutrient deficiencies commonly found in fibromyalgia patients - "Nutritional Approaches in FM - Deficiencies, Symptoms, and Supplement Strategies"]

SPECIFIC DIET STRATEGIES

1. Think Protein Always

A key with this diet is not to eat any carbohydrate foods by themselves, even if they are considered good carbs. “Orphaned” carbs will increase the risk of hypoglycemia/insulin hypersensitivity in someone with Fibromyalgia, so foods that have some protein in them should be consumed every time we eat. Therefore:

• We shouldn’t eat pancakes and syrup for breakfast because it doesn’t contain any protein. Insulin is controlled by the balance of protein and carbs each time we eat.

• If we want a salad for lunch, we should not just eat plain lettuce and vegetables. We need to have a protein source in our salad as well, such as chicken, tuna, turkey, eggs, cheese and more.

• We should not eat a plain spaghetti supper. We should have spaghetti and meatballs (made with lean ground chuck meat) or lean sausage.

• If we crave a snack, we shouldn’t eat a sugar cookie. A small bag of cashews would be a better protein-laden choice for a snack.

Once you are trained to think about protein every time you put something in your mouth, it becomes easier to stay within the framework of the Fibromyalgia diet.

2. Avoid The Rush

Hypoglycemia is often the result of a sudden surge of glucose in our bloodstream after eating a carbohydrate-rich food. The Glycemic Index of foods is a measure of how fast the carbohydrate triggers the rise in circulating blood sugars. A GI over 70 is high. Examples of food with high GI are: Rice Crispies – GI 80; corn muffin – GI 95; mashed potatoes – GI 88.

To avoid a carbohydrate surge, take a few bites from proteins first whenever you eat. Even if you are eating good carbs, if you take the first few bites from protein, you can minimize the carbohydrate “rush”:

• Eating proteins first activates the protein digesting enzymes and slows the absorption of carbohydrates.
• Plus, proteins require hydrochloric acid for proper digestion, carbohydrates don’t. If we eat carbohydrates first, hydrochloric acid may not be activated and subsequent proteins eaten may not be properly digested.

Foods rich in fiber and fats also slow the absorption of carbohydrates.

3. Eat Until Full

Try to eat at least 3 meals a day and have 1-2 snacks. At meals, eat until you are comfortably full but not stuffed. Some people with Fibromyalgia actually do better by eating 5 to 6 smaller meals a day or by eating 3 smaller meals and 2 larger snacks.

Those who are bothered by irritable bowel syndrome sometimes can do better by eating smaller portions more frequently.

Eat slowly and take your time to chew food well.

4. Weekdays: Behave!

I recommend that the Fibromyalgia diet be followed strictly for 5 days each Monday through Friday, and I allow people to splurge a little on the weekends. That is, the diet is 5 days “on” and 2 days not so “on.” This allows people to follow the basic rules during the week (more proteins, good carbs, good fats) but also allows the anticipation of favorite foods over the weekend....

This Fibromyalgia diet can help decrease sugar cravings, help rebalance your body’s chemistry, especially insulin and blood glucose levels, and can help you shed weight.

This was posted on the ProHealth Board.http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=12301

Happy Canuk
08-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Hi. Candice, today it's sunny buy just around 70F (19C). It went to 46F (8C) last night. Starting to get cooler, although the forcast for the next 7 days is great - 80F + for all those days. Fall felt like it arrived yesterday however.

Sandra - glad you got some help. Thankfully with the OA and FM I have not had to deal with depression as well. I hope I never do. Glad your hubby asked for the help you need. It isn't easy to give up our independence, but at times you just need to turn to somebody and get stuff done. Otherwise, you just get bogged down. CANDICE - doyou hear me???? :)

I see you are my neighbour - I am in Alberta, just outside Edmonton.

Joanne - sorry to hear you had a fall. That is never good. Even if you don't injure yourself, you do shake everything up and feel it for days after. So 80 yrs is coming your way. That is wonderful. Glad you got to talk to your brother. Skype is great now that they have the video on it.

Well, better go get some supper ready. Wanted to post that diet. Think I will give it a go.

Have a nice evening.

Candicej
08-18-2012, 04:06 AM
Hi Happy..thanks for the info..Dr. Mark P visited our support group here years ago, did you also know he is hearing impaired? His is very nice and great man! That info on "Diet" can be followed by anyone...I do good except for the sweets part.

I was hurting yesterday...had my dental check up and cleaning ..all ok and then shopped abit....my son took me since I have not driven the new car yet and DH wants to show me some stuff on it. I jsut didn't want to deal with it, plus my eyes were not good yesterday..some days just can't see well.

Joanne...sorry you fell..your gonna be sore for awhile..you are doing fab for 80!!!!!!

Candicej
08-23-2012, 06:09 AM
Been cleaning and watering...very sore right now......:(

Joanne D
08-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Hello Happy,Candice and new people. This last fall was not a good one. Still in pain after 2 weeks. X rays and Dr. visit. He injected my back yesterday. We will see if it helps. Otherwise more tests. I have had osteoarthritis for years and it has only got worse,not much they can do about that. I can't take arthritis med. Over the years they gave me ulcers.
Yes Candice the sister(Ms Eleni) who told you guys about my stay in the hospital a few years ago is the one who is not well. She has a defibulator(sp) and pacemaker that is keeping her with us. She has to spend most of her time at home and rests a lot in bed She has a great husband who helps her a lot.
We are expecting a storm. Time will tell where it will hit. the rain will be good but not too much wind and damage..I take it that Tampa is worried because of the RNC starting Monday. Maybe it will cut down on some of the protesters and their actions.
Have a good weekend everybody..
Joanne

Joanne D
09-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Hello Everybody.. I wonder how many turned off the T V after Joe Biden spoke last night besides me.. Just didn't need to hear more ... I'll be glad when all this is over..
My back is still not good. Lots of pain when on my feet or walking. Had another Ex Ray of back yesterday.. I can't keep taking pain meds.That is not the answer in my book.
Saw my daughter and G/children this past weekend.. What a joy they are. I wish I could see them more often..
Have a good weekend..
Joanne

sandramac
09-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Hello Everybody.. I wonder how many turned off the T V after Joe Biden spoke last night besides me.. Just didn't need to hear more ... I'll be glad when all this is over..
My back is still not good. Lots of pain when on my feet or walking. Had another Ex Ray of back yesterday.. I can't keep taking pain meds.That is not the answer in my book.
Saw my daughter and G/children this past weekend.. What a joy they are. I wish I could see them more often..
Have a good weekend..
Joanne
Hi, Joanne,
I am so happy for you to be blessed with grandchildren. I see the joy friends ofmine esperience with theirs. My daughter and her husband cannot have children, so I suppose I will never know that. Fortunately, I love my cats...

I watched all I could of the DNC. Even though I live in Canada, now, this election is critical to the entire world, and I live in Canada because of the health care system available here. Now you know my take on all that...

I have found that yoga helps my back pain, when other forms of exercise will not. Gentle stretching can really help with trigger points. In addition, I have recently invested in a board with "digits" that you place against your trigger points for self massage. I cannot yet post links, but it is available through the "Lose the Back Pain" site. I invested in it because it reaches the specific points my doctor used to inject with lidocaine, years ago, and nothing else I knew does that. I have found it REALLY helps, especially with spots that are "just underneath" ligament or tendon, where nothing else reaches. It helps break up metabolites that interfere with muscle nourishment and healing. It takes a little time to find the exact spots, but a very detailed DVD accompanies the board and digits, and that, combined with stretching, as explained in the video, has helped me a lot, recently.

Even if you cannot afford the help this form of self massage provides, just placing and massaging by rolling gently on tennis balls tied into a sock can help. I find this particularly helpful with base of the scull points that sometimes give me headaches.

Hope this might help you, or others here.

Joanne D
09-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks or the information Sandramac.. Getting on the floor for any reason for me is not a possibility. I cannot get up without a lot of help.. Both knees are gone. I have a replacement in one but not the other due to my health..
I had another ex ray of my back. Negative,, So..I gather it will just take time to heal..
Yes the grandchildren are a joy.. Maybe your son and his wife would think about adopting. My son never had children.. His wife has two grown children. Not the same for sure. They are nothing but a drain on them. My son lost his home helping his wife keep one in rehab. I feel sure that is not the end of that . They live with us now. On top of that my son a Grad design Architect has lost his job,due to the market being gone, he hasn't found another since. Things are not easy in that field right now.He is 54 and maybe they want younger men/women..
They help us a lot .I am grateful for that..
The country needs a change.. It couldn't be any worse.
Hello to all my friends..
Have a good week.. Joanne

Candicej
09-10-2012, 01:53 AM
Hi Joanne and Sandramac

Joanne...was hoping your pain was better..I'm sure your falls did not help.I cannot take arthritis meds either or pain meds...I am having lots of back pain this year plus hip pain.....I use orthoics in my shoes and it helps some.Tell your sis E hi for me and hope she has some good days where she can do things.

Sandramac...I use tennis balls alot and have a pressure point hand held thingy but can't always get into the right palce...it is a wand that looks like a thumb on the hook end that you push in your trigger points...will try to find that web site to look at your board..thanks for sharing:)
I have cats too and a dog..no gkids yet but soon......

Candicej
09-10-2012, 02:20 AM
Sandrmac..I could not find your site or the back board???????????????????????

Mima
09-14-2012, 06:55 AM
Good morning. I am so sorry you fell Joanne.Hope you get some relief.
I am doing pretty well-the only thing that bothers me is my right leg-I get shots for bursitis but it seems there is an underlying cause. I do my exercises but not sure I have one for the upper back of my leg-.
Leaving for FL on the 23rd of Oct. Been really nice here. Little Adalyn is ceawling-she's almost 8 months. Lily is going to dance class for toddlers..
Just made a quilt for a baby shower and now knitting a sweater for Lily.
Bye for now/Mima

sandramac
09-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Sandrmac..I could not find your site or the back board???????????????????????
Hi, Candice, and all who are interested:
I am unable to post links, yet, due to my junior membership, but if you go to the site Lose the Back Pain dot com, (all one word) by typing into the address bar of your browser, then, after the dot com, type into your address bar the following: /back-pain-relief-products then press Enter on your keyboard, you should come up with the page showing all their products. I have no stock in this company, but I have read Jesse Cannone's book, and I use several of the products listed on the site. The Trigger Point system is the board I am currently using.

If you have painful points on your body that most of us call "muscle knots," or if you can press any spot on your body that is painful, and pressing it causes pain to radiate to any other place on your body, you probably have active trigger points. There are 11 specific spots that are used in identifying fibromyalgia, although I believe it is really 18 points. Personally, I have all 11 points, and I used to receive injections of dilute marcaine into my trigger points located in areas I cannot reach with my hands. Most massage therapists I have been to are either too timid to really press these painful spots, or simply are not aware of their existence.

By following the DVD instructions that accompany the board, and referring to the photos in the manual that also accompanies it, you can locate and treat your trigger points yourself. The pressing and releasing, followed by stretching, and moist heat or a warm bath have helped me immensely at times when even pain meds have not worked.

Let me know again, if you cannot find the page. I really have been helped by products on LoseTheBackPain, although I haven't tried all of them, but I am not affiliated with the site other than as a grateful user of the products and ideas listed and explained there.

Good luck, and I hope we all can continue to give one another personal support here; sometimes,there is nothing like hearing that something worked for someone else. We all have to get really creative, sometimes, to deal with our pain!

'Bye now...Sandra

Happy Canuk
09-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Hi everybody.

Jo Anne, sorry you are still not feeling good. Makes life just a little harder when that happens. Glad your son and DIL are there to help you out.

Mima - not long before you pack up again. Glad you are feeling not too bad. Sometimes after surgery, it takes awhile for that sciatic nerve to settle down.

Candice - I think this is the link you need - go do products at the top
then scroll down to that trigger point mat. Looks interesting.

http://www.losethebackpain.com/back-pain-relief-products

Sandra - thanks for that link. I also you the hook thing for trigger points and it does a pretty good job. I also have a back magic product that I like. Keeps the curve in the back, that is so important.

It's a nice day here and will be for the next 7 days in any case. Around 70F. The nights are getting colder though, and this morning there was frost on the roof tops. I love the Fall weather.

Haven't been feeling too well, being lightheaded and so darn sleepy. Dr. ran some tests and it appears I am hyperglycemic, so need to add more protein each time I eat and need to have something every 2-3 hrs. I have felt like a prisoner in my house, because I wouldn't dare drive my car as I might get to feel like I was going to pass out. The past couple of days have been better.

I hope everybody has a good week.

Happy Canuk
09-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Here is another site - one for the Back Magic http://www.backmagicworks.com/index-2.html

Joanne D
09-17-2012, 10:04 AM
I am seeing the Dr. again today. I am going to ask for a MRI .. I need to get rid of this pain.
My son and his wife are a good help. Sometimes too much of a help.. I want to stay independent as long as possible.. The hubby seems to be going downhill . he wants only to sit,sleep and will eat and bathed when pushed..
The days are still in the high 89's and 90's here. I will be glad when it gets cooler.
Have a good week everybody..
Joanne

Candicej
10-04-2012, 03:14 AM
Thanks Happy and Sandra..I looked at them and might give them a try..I have the hook thing and like it but can't get to all my spots and use the tennis balls alot and have a cushioned curved thing I also stretch my back with...no bumps on it for trigger points though. It is my hip/pelvic/lowerback pain that is my main problem right now and sitting up straight is very hard cause it makes my pelvis and hip hurt...so try to sit in a recliner or on the floor (reclined of course) or up walking or stretching when I can. AND>>> I love my pilates machine to stretch me out and tone my muslces. I booked marked the pages to go to later....gonna run them by my son first:) (the DO)

Joanne hope you can get an MRI and get some relief from the pain!

Candicej
10-04-2012, 03:17 AM
I'm gonna be a first time grandma in February and it's a girl:):bb::bb::bb:

Joanne D
10-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Congrats. Candice. I remember when my first Grandchild was born. Now he has two babies of his own ,which, makes me a Great Grand Mother now..
I had a MRI and have a herniated disc. I am seeing a orthopedic Dr. on the 9nth. It has taken two months of pain to finally see a Dr. that may help me.. I find it hard to understand the reasoning of why it takes so long to get health care these days.
I watched the debate last night and was amazed to see Obama smirking .No class.. I guess he thinks he has it all tied up.. He may have and what a shame that would be..
Have a good weekend everybody.
Joanne

Happy Canuk
10-05-2012, 06:53 PM
CONGRATULATIONS Candice. It is SUCH an exciting time. My first gd is now 14 and I remember being beside myself waiting for her arrival. With my own kids, I just wanted them out lol Anyway, you will surely enjoy this baby.

Joanne - sorry to hear you have a herniated disk. Sometimes PT helps and other times it is surgery that is needed. Mine ended in surgery. Hope they can figure out something for you that makes you feel better. In the USA they can do this surgery pretty easy in the office of the Dr. At least that is what I read. It saves the 4 or 5 months of healing time.

Take care and look after yourself.

MemeToo
10-16-2012, 01:04 AM
Hey everyone ... I'm still alive!

Congratulations, Candice. There's nothing like 'em!
Sorry to hear about all the sickness & back problems. Joanne, sure hope you don't have to have surgery!

I haven't been feeling very well myself. Haven't really been doing much lately. Nothing much to report here. Hubby retired and hasn't been home very much since. He stays gone or on the phone. Don't see him much during the day and at night he is either on the computer, phone or asleep. I'm not really complaining! ha I'm just doing what I have to do and not much else! I think the pain has finally pretty much taken over my life.

Joanne D
10-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Hello Everybody.
Happy, I say a Dr and had a very long visit to his office. I was not a happy camper when I left. I told my son I was unsure about the whole thing. Two blocks down the road it hit me and I was really upset and told him I could not do what they wanted. I called my primary and made an appointment and then the next day called the first Dr and cancelled the whole thing..
My back is and will get better. The primary injected my Bursa and told me these things take time and that he couldn't believe what the other Dr's wanted me to do. Like stop the coumadin.I could have thrown a clot and that would have taken care of all my problems.Considering the controversy about spinal injections I felt among other things to leave things to take care of themselves.
I believe when something doesn't feel right you don't do it.
Meme- So the hubby has retired? good that he is not under your feet all the time.. Mine is another story. Feel better.
have a good week. Joanne

Candicej
11-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Where did you all go again?

Joanne..good you are geing some rain then....glad the kids are helping you.

Happy I need you zip.......code

Joanne D
11-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Hello Candice and Everybody.. I try to reply when someone comes on..
Candice ,not much rain lately.. Season for rain pretty much gone..Yes the kids have been helpful although things seem to be going downhill lately.. The daughter in law needs her own house to run.. I think so too. Our house is kinda small with one bath room. Time will tell if things smooth out.
I am still having a problem with my back.. It is better but could be even better..
This is the first cool day and it looks like it may get cooler by night. But, this is Florida and you never can be certain how the weather will be.
Joanne

Candicej
11-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Joanne as DH says after 3 days company stinks like fish! Something like that..I think it would be ahrd to live with 2 families under one roof and obly 1 bathroom is a nightmare! Hope it allworks out for you and them.

I am hurting really bad...weather and overdoing I gues.

WE need Meme and Ann to check in!!!!!!!

Joanne D
11-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Candice , I think and want them to get their own place if this doesn't settle down.. I am going to be 80 in March. I don't any or need this stress.. Right now we are getting hostility.Yes to be right they need to move.Prayers needed...Joanne

Candicej
11-12-2012, 01:23 AM
Sending prayers our way....hope all works out for your family.......no one needs extra stress!

I am still aching...got some relief for a few days....we are geting rain and a very cold front coming through.....been baking some for a cookie excahnge...it warms me up! But Then I EAT too much!

Rhonda Marie
11-19-2012, 01:58 PM
I am new here and have RA and fibromyalga

Happy Canuk
11-19-2012, 02:09 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/christmas/thanksgiving/21.gif

Happy Thanksgiving Jo Ann, Candice, Meme, Mima and to all Americans. I am so glad that Canada's Thanksgiving is in October. Don't think I could handle 2 big holidays within a month. Hope you have a fun time.

Jo Ann - Hope things are settling down at your house, and that your son and DIL have found a new place to call home. It isn't living with others for a long period of time - unless they are children (little ones)

Candice - hope you are feeling better. The weather plays such a role in pain levels.

Rhonda - welcome to our little thread. Nice to see another Canadian here. I was in New Foundland last year, and it is an amazing province - so very different than the rest of Canada.

Pain levels have been higher with the change of season. Also, have developed hypoglycemia and had a bit of fun with that one. I seem to be doing better on that level now. Good grief, it's always something, and the Afib is playing games NOW! Need to get in to see my Dr about that.

Well, that's about it. Wish Meme would stop back, but I understand not feeling well and trying to think. Mima, wish you would drop in as well. You are now in Florida?? Did "Sandy" get to your area??

Everybody have a good day.

Joanne D
11-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Welcome Rhonda.. Tell us something about yourself.. Are you trying to lose weight? Do you have children? Etc...
Candice,Happy, hello..Things are about the same here. I am waiting to hear that the son and his wife are finding a place to move to. It doesn't look promising yet.I am trying to keep control of my life as I want it to be.
My back is a little better. I fell again the other day and that set me back some. That doggy gate is no longer there for me to fall over.. Christie now has the run of most of the house..
Thanksgiving is almost here. For the first time it will just be the hubby and me. The son and wife are going to her daughters.. I will cook a small turkey and dressing for us.. Our daughter and her hubby are going camping somewhere in Ga. As I said this will be the first time all our family will not be together.. Makes me a little sad.. I just can't handle the large gatherings and all the work that goes with it.. We thought about going out ,but, around here it would be hard to get a foot in a door of a eating place without a long wait.
It is cool here today.In the 60's. It will be much warmer in a couple days. Yes,I know that is warm to a lot of you.HA!
Have a good week everybody.
Joanne

Rhonda Marie
11-19-2012, 04:56 PM
I am 50 and way over-weight, I currently weigh 291 lbs and I am 5ft 6in. I have |RA and fibromyalgia. I have 4 grown kids and 4 grandkids, I am also married to a man how lost 80 lbs himslf. I feel the presure is on and I am ready, willing and able to overcome this weight issue, just need some tips and encouragment.

Joanne D
11-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Rhonda , I don't know if they have weight watchers in Canada.. I went when my weight was 212.. I lost 74 lbs . If I could get my act together and get as healthy as I could you can too. I was on a merry go round of lose and gain for 30 years. I have kept most of it off and am now 15 lbs over my goal. Believe me I have tried to lose again. It has not happened. I will be 80 in march. This is a worry to me but I don't want to go back to WW.I feel if I haven't learned anything by now I may never.
Happy the son and wife are still here. They are not showing any signs of moving. This is hard on my nerves. Maybe that is why I overeat. Feel better.
Joanne

Candicej
12-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Hello gals and Welcome Rhonda...yes WW is great program..I still use it to this day and am staying within 3lbs of goal.

Happy good to see you back ...did you get my card yet? Didn't know your new zip code.

The y beast is back....I get it every December...not fun!......Had an early x-mas with the out of town kids...it was nice.....Got the outside of the hose decorated with my lights and a tad done inside...not going all out this year.cause I ahve not felt the best...arm/shoulder pain and hip pain..so digging through boexes is not a good thing right now.

Joanne...I was hoping they were gone by now...Hugs to you:) Becareful so you don't break anything!!!!!

Joanne D
12-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Hello Everybody...Still not much relief with the back. Hurts some days and seems better other days.
The son put a nativity scene in front yard. Tree been up since Thanksgiving. We will see how long it takes for someone to say something against it. You never see one anywhere in this area in the past years.
Yes they are still here and it doesn't look like they plan to move. At least anytime soon.. The hubby and I will be going to our daughters for Christmas week. That will give me a needed break.. I have yet to buy the first Christmas gift.. To me that is stressful every year..
We will be married 59 years the day after Christmas.. How the years go by.
Hope you all have a good week.
Joanne

Yami no Ryu
12-16-2012, 08:29 PM
it's nice to see this thread here. I honestly believe that having FM has contributed to my weight gain. it makes exercise difficult....the last thing I want is to be in more pain.

My FM isn't treatable with drugs. I'm allergic. I have to find other ways to treat it. Unfortunately, my doctor isn't much help in that area. except to tell me I need to exercise and lose some weight.

is anyone out there treating their FM with "non-conventional" methods?

Joanne D
12-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Welcome Yami no Ryu.. Not having Fm. I am not going to try and relate to it..I have osetoarthritis ,Heart Dx and am diabetic.. I went to Weight watchers and lost 74 lbs. that helped a lot with my pain.. They have a really good program. I am unable to do much of any exercise now but I still follow the WW program and have been losing a few pounds I put on slowly. I will be 80 in March.If I can lose 6 more lbs ,I will be 150 and be satisfied with staying there. Of course I will take a few more lbs if I am lucky to lose it.. Losing is not easy ,but in most cases can be done.. I just have little will power at times and go on a binge. Not good for me.
Hello Happy,Candice and everybody.. We plan to have a pretty good Christmas. We will be with our daughter. The son is staying here and they will be with her daughter for the day.. They still live with us!!!
I still haven't finished my shopping.UGH!!!
If I don't get back on here MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU
Have a good week.
Joanne

Yami no Ryu
12-17-2012, 12:46 PM
wow, 74 pounds! good for you! that's amazing.

I do find it difficult sometimes. I hate complaining, because the last thing I want is someone's pity. and most people don't really understand. I don't LOOK sick, after all.

Today is a bad pain day. I'm having one heck of a flareup. so I'll do what I always do....what needs to be done. luckily I work for myself, so I'm able to make my own schedule. this afternoon, I'm working from home. I'll drink lots of water, try to be as comfortable as possible and hopefully tomorrow the pain will be less. :) it's all good. the cane is still in the closet and after not having used it for just over two years, any day without it is a good day.

Joanne D
12-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Stay positive. The easy part is losing The hard part is keeping it off. This has been a life long struggle for me
Joanne

Happy Canuk
12-18-2012, 12:37 PM
PLEASE DON'T POST HERE. NEW THREAD. HERE IS THE LINK TO THE NEW THREAD http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles/271666-fibromyalgia-198-a.html