Old 12-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default Can you still lose weight while on your period?

This is my second week and today I just got my period and my next weigh in is monday. can you still loose the weight or no? what did you guys experience.
lulupie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 184.6/169/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulupie View Post
This is my second week and today I just got my period and my next weigh in is monday. can you still loose the weight or no? what did you guys experience.
I think it just depends on your body. The first WI I had I started my TOM during the first week and still lost 5 lbs. However, I feel like I am getting ready for another TOM again and when I got on the scale tonight I was up a lb. So it really depends on your body and your hormones. I would suggest definitely getting in your water (if not extra) and stay OP! Don't give in to the hormones!!! Your hormones can be altered while on IP so be careful with your BC as well!!
4kiddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It's important to remember that TOM weight gain is only water weight (unless you're also overeating). So if you're sticking to your food and exercise plan, you can lose fat, even though it may or may not show on the scale until your body releases the water.

My TOPS (taking off pounds sensibly) group has a contest every month, in which everyone who has weighed in every week for the month, and has not had a single gain, share a prize of $10. Rarely do more than two people win - meaning that 28 out of 30 members have at least one gain during the month.

We call it the apple tree contest, because at the start of the month everyone has a paper apple with their name on it, pinned to a paper tree. If you have a gain (or miss a meeting) your apple falls off the tree.

In the 15 months I've been a member, I haven't won the apple tree contest yet. I haven't had a single month without a gain - and the gain is almost always TOM gain (for me, the weight starts to come on about a week before the period and woosh, disappears by the time my period is over).

So if you lose an average of 1 lb a week your weight might look like

week 1: lose 1 lbs
week 2: lose 1 lbs
week 3: gain 4 lbs
week 4: lose 6 lbs

(for an average of 1 lb per week)

You would have lost fat during your TOM gain, but the water gain would have disguised it

Last edited by kaplods; 12-28-2011 at 10:05 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6

ok thank you
lulupie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 269/236/180

Height: 5'8

I know I actually gain like 5 lbs on my TOM...but it comes right off plus some afterwards.

I admit, Can't help but freak when that scale moves up! LOL
NewSexyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #6  
Restart IP 10/19/2013

S/C/G: 195/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I read an article recently about water weight gain before TOM is supposed to equal the amount of blood loss during menstruation. Your body gears up for the loss. Drinking water causes your body to let go of water retention. So, drink plenty of water and maybe the bloating won't be as dramatic.
sekc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/174/160

Height: 6'0"

The first day I start this diet, I also managed to get my period. (What luck, right?) ...But my first weigh in and I was down 7lbs. I made sure to drink A LOT of water
sarahmayhem is offline   Reply With Quote