Does it Work? - Meridia pills - Does this RX work?

SlenderMe
02-17-2003, 03:19 PM
I went to my Primary Care Dr. last week and told him I wanted to try something to help lose weight since my metabolism was so slow because of other RX meds I have to take for physical problems, etc. He prescribed Meridia - 10 mg pills, and told me that this has worked for some patients. I was shocked that they cost $ 99.00 at my pharmacy where I got them. I asked my pharmacist was there a generic and he said NO. but that another product that they have there is very, very similar and it is called,
"Fastin or phentermine is the other name for it". He told me that Fastin is also a whole lot cheaper, but for this month I went ahead and got the Meridia that my dr. prescribed and I planned on bringing this up to my dr. at my appt. in 4 wks. My dr. said I must come in and be monitored by him every 3 to 4 wks or will not prescribe anything.

Do any of you know anything about the Fastin or phentermine as well as the Meridia? And, can any of you tell me what experiences, if any, that you had with these prescription weight loss pills. I gained 70 lbs after my back operation in 2000 and for a long time had to be almost totally inactive, but am now able to pick up exercise but still not a lot since I broke my foot 2 mos ago and it still has not completely healed.

Thanks, April :D

goodiegurl
02-25-2003, 10:36 PM
i have indeed taken phentermine and yes it does work along with a diet plan i was on a low calorie diet the pill suppresses your appetite i think i lost about 31 lbs in about 2 1/2 to 3 months but unfortunately i gained it back because i got pregnant im actually thinking about starting back because its a good pill and i know it works i hope this helps good luck oh the price now is about $40 for the generic brand when i was on it about 4 years ago it was a little cheaper it is kind of popular

SlenderMe
02-25-2003, 10:53 PM
Thanks for your reply. However, I am taking now the MERIDIA, so do any of you have any experience taking it? Please let me know...Thank You.

Harpo2332
05-16-2003, 04:35 PM
There is a program to help you with the cost of the meridia...the phone # is 1-888-340-2159. You save 25% the first month and 40% the next 5 months. I am going to fill my RX tonight.

nance

ginya
05-18-2003, 12:50 PM
I am taking marida and it is a god send. It kills my appitite and I just don't think about food anymore. I have not noticed any side effects, but I am montiered every month by a Dr. I go to a wieght loss clinic and since Jan 20th I have lost 55 pounds. It is not for everyone, and thank god my insurance covers it. You have to commit to a program and go to the Dr. But for me it is worth it. Good luck!

Houston456
05-21-2003, 02:40 PM
Medria is BAD BAD BAD for you I say that because it is in the same famly of drugs as phen-phen. So there for it can have the same risks and side affects.

loranden
05-21-2003, 09:24 PM
Also, a word of caution on Meridia:

Do not take this medication if you are on the fluoxetine antidepressants (aka Prozac), or you can have a serious reaction to having both drugs in your system.

NicoleNYC
05-23-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Houston456
Medria is BAD BAD BAD for you I say that because it is in the same famly of drugs as phen-phen. So there for it can have the same risks and side affects.

That's not necessarily so. Fen/phen was a combination of TWO drugs and ONE of the drugs was considered to have been the problem.

skankasorus
05-29-2003, 01:09 AM
Meridia does work. I think a lot of it is psychological though. I have been on Meridia since April 2002. I have lost close to 30lbs. During that time I have had my ups and downs. I have gone from excercising and eating super well for months to not excercising at all and heading for junk food. During my lazy months ( due to working full time and school at night ) I knew what I was doing wrong. From February 2003 until April 2003 I only lost 5lbs. During these months I started to eat a lot of fast food again and I was rarely working out. Since getting back on track I have lost 2 lbs in 1 month.
I highly recommend Meridia. It gives you that extra push and it does work. I have had no side effects whatsoever. The downside is that it is expensive. My Aunt first started taking it, she has lost over 45lbs. Meridia works but only with common sense.
You have to eat less ( half of what you normally eat is a good way to go about it ) and excercise at least 3 times a week. Meridia works because it aids you in eating less. You do get to a point where the drug plateaus. You can feel it not work as much. My Dr. bumped me up to 15mg. It has helped a bit. I know I need to just excercise harder and more often. If you do that and try to eat healthy I can promise you that you will lose weight. It is the only thing that has worked for me. Believe me I have tried it all.

Mark&Ivy'smom
05-29-2003, 01:18 AM
To go along with what Lori said.....You should not be taking Meridia with ANY anti-depressants, especially SSRI's. I was talking to my Doc abuut it and she will not let me, and after checking them out through different web sites it just confirms that it can be highly dangerous to your system.

But to all of you that have had success... :bravo:

mick10
09-23-2003, 02:30 PM
hi,
i'm new to all this, and i do have a question. my doctor recently prescribed meridia for me, i have not filled prescription yet, because it's so expensive and my insurance will not cover it. i read a few articles about it; both good and bad. does anyone have any first hand knowledge of it? my doctor wants me to try as the first step toward bariatric surgery, anyone have any first hand knowledge of that? i did weight watchers and did really well and then i just got stuck at my current weight and started having major health problems, which is why he is recommending the surgery. i cannot do alot of exercises right now as i have a heel spur that needs to be removed and my hmo is so very slow with referrals to a podiatrist. so i have been doing small walks. i tried using a crossbow(similar to a bowflex) but have problems with my rotators in my shoulders(which hopefully will soon get fixed). just wanted more info on meridia and the surgery; which i have done alot of research on but haven't really decided to go ahead with it. any info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks so much
mick10:?: :?:

Rowan Bailey
09-25-2003, 10:36 AM
I did the lower dose of meridia and did alright. But when my doctor was able to get my insurance to cover it and they prescribed me a stronger dose. I am on the high strung side anyway...I ended up in the Emergency room with benign heart palpatations. My blood pressure is in the normal range and it shot up to 180/110 and they gave me strong tranquilizers to slow down the heart rate and lower the blood pressure. I stopped and was fine the next day.

This was incredibly upsetting for me as I did not tell my boy-friend and he came to the ER to be with me....he was great about it, but I was so upset, that I am sure that when I realized he was on his way (he had no idea what was happening to me and my father died of a heart attack this past year and he was with us) I am sure that my blood pressure went up even more. I say this because stress might have been a part of why this happened to me.

However....I have spoken to others who have had NO problems and love Meridia. As long as you are closely monitored and they work you up and you don't have any heart or blood pressure issues then I would not let my experience deter you. I felt the same way you did when I started it, but I realized that I was so unhappy and physically challenged when I decided to try it that the quality of life convo seemed to take precident.

If you decide to do it, my suggestionis to try the lowest dose and monitor yourself carefully, it may just work for you. But if you really are uncomfortable with it, then listen to your instincts.

Also, check around with some of the smaller pharmacies in your area, sometimes they are cheaper than the bigger pharmacies and they will cut you a deal if they have the meds in house in order to not have the inventory for long.

Good luck whatever decision you make. You can also check on the WLS surgery thread on this site, there are wonderful people there that have all been where your at and made the decision to have the surgery. I was considering the surgery and that is how I found this site. They can tell you more than I, they are kind and generous.

mick10
09-25-2003, 10:55 AM
Thanks so much for responding, i have read so much since the doc gave me the prescription. and i just didn't know what to do. i do have blood pressure issues, this really scares me. i am already taking 50 mg of atenolol because my blood pressure goes up when i'm working. so i am really thinking that i don't want to try this, but my doc knew about my blood pressure issues and i get my blood pressure checked twice a week. so if he thinks it's ok should i try it or not?

diphthong
09-25-2003, 11:08 AM
Is it possible that prescribing the Rx is a first step, or required, by your HMO so that they will cover the surgery, should you decide to have it? (Rx as an alternative treatment to a very expensive surgical procedure and hospitalization.) If that's the case, he has it on his chart he prescribed it; doesn't mean you have to take it.

Just out of curiosity, would you mind posting your age, height and weight? and how long you have been at a weight that would 'qualify' you for the surgery? I'm doing some research of my own. Thanks.

dip

mick10
09-25-2003, 11:22 AM
hi
i'm 36 yrs old, soon to be 37(october 10).
i am 5 1 3/4 tall and 260 lbs.
i've been struggling with my weight since my 2nd son was born 15 yrs ago. i just didn't lose the pregancy weight. I went to weight watchers and had lost 25 lbs and kept it off for 2 years. then my dads health went downhill, i worked full time, had 2 sons to raise and just was sooooo tired all the time. i forgot to take care of myself. then i tore 3 ligaments in my knee and was off my feet for 8 months, the pounds just piled on. then when i started exercising again i stayed right around 200 lbs, but then about 5 yrs ago, i just started gaining and gaining and gaining. I was still eating the same way and my mom and i walked 3 days a week at least 2 miles a day. i was sooo tired all the time, all i wanted to do was sleep. 2 years ago they tested my thyroid and said it was a little underactive. In january i switched doctors and he tested me again, and gave me thyroid meds. while i don't feel as tired all the time, i don't see much of an improvement. my sister and i walk 2 miles; 3 times a week and now have added bowflex to our routine, i've lost a few inches but nothing major.
i think that the meridia is a first step toward surgery but i'm so afraid to take it.
i've been doing so good with my diet, more veggies and less fat. it seems like the last 5 years i've been going backwards!!!

Rowan Bailey
09-26-2003, 11:19 AM
mick
if you this concerned then i would not do it. i felt the same way and i did it anyway, i wanted it to work. my md wanted me to have the surgery.....i am 5.4 and was 237, I have just dropped off 10 pounds. It was when I began to research the WLS that was how I found 3fc, did I realize how serious my issue was.

i have made a agreement with myself that if i cannot get my weight under control by next spring, then i will have the surgery. giving myself that deadline it has made take my weight control seriously. the surgery is just a tool in weight control, you still have to diet, it is just a forced diet.

I have slowly over the past two months have integrated the south beach diet/low carb and hypnoisis along with this message board and now the dr phil challenge. the next step is exercise for me. i figure that if i don't do everything (and i pretty much have at this point) then i will do the surgery. that is what motivated me to get here, and, if i don't stay, then i will have the surgery.

good luck to you, just stay out of your head....if you go to the fat chicks on the beach thread, frannymae does these great posts every day and she did one that talks about sabaoteurs of our diets...and it is us, it is a good thread to read every day, it keeps thing focused....and keep remembering, we all share a weight issue and we all can be working on it, or not.....at this point i would rather be working on it then hiding from it, and with 70 extra pounds, that makes it darn impossible.

there are so many inspiring women and men who have lost 100s of pounds, they inspire me every single time....i keep waiting for a time that one of these stories doesn't touch me, and it just doesn't happen.

Good luck and keep posting!!!

-rb

sami
10-11-2003, 02:36 PM
Hi I just wanted to drop a quick note I too took merida and I was doing pretty well on it but my bloodpressure shot up and when I went off it came back down stayed off for awhile and tryed again samething so I can not take it! I will say if you really read the papers that come with it Meridia doesn't promise a big weight loss I think it says something like 3 lbs a month are normal! And that is a big price to pay for just 3 lbs!
I hope this helps
Sami

Rowan Bailey
10-16-2003, 10:56 AM
Sami,
I tend to agree with you....I get the same results when I just stop eating sugar and white carbs. I don't know if I would take that chance....I know for me I would be stressed just knowing that I was taking it and then would probably experience more issues.

Take care of yourself and be careful....good luck!!

rb

supersized
11-10-2003, 01:54 PM
I took Meridia for one month a few years ago when the commericals were on every channel. My heart rate and blood pressure shot up. I normally am around 112/68. I don't remember how high it was but it was enough for our nurse at work to have me come in daily to be checked. At the end of the month I had lost no weight and was still hungry. Since my insurance wouldn't cover the pills, I decided to discontinue them. I was on the higher dosage.

jiffypop
01-18-2004, 08:00 PM
wow! i made a resolution to explore more of the forum, and here i am!!!! rowan. mick. you are welcome on the wls board ANYTIME!!! we LOVE answering questions. there's so much that goes into this decision that sometimes being able to ask any little tiny thing makes the difference.

we don't push the surgery. it's a VERY individual decision that must be made very very carefully. so.. if there's ever anything we can do, just holler!!!

and it sounds as if you are both off to a great start. i wish that this surgeon weren't necessary for some of us. i wish that another alternative existed. but it doesn't. not at the moment.

pkall
03-11-2004, 09:14 AM
I'm thinking about trying that and/or Xenical for that extra needed boost........or incentive. I'm plum out of willpower but see the drastic need for change in my current diet.

Thanks for any help! Kathy :)

deepfried
03-11-2004, 10:35 AM
I've never tried meridia, but I've used Xenical for several months. I think Xenical is probably a good drug for folks who eat too much fat. In my case, Xenical became a ticket for me to eat more because the bad stuff, well...got flushed down the toilet :o So, I really didn't have good results with Xenical because I didn't exercise restraint and portion control.

pkall
03-12-2004, 07:10 AM
I've never tried meridia, but I've used Xenical for several months. I think Xenical is probably a good drug for folks who eat too much fat. In my case, Xenical became a ticket for me to eat more because the bad stuff, well...got flushed down the toilet :o So, I really didn't have good results with Xenical because I didn't exercise restraint and portion control.

Thanks for the info! I also looked at past posts (I haven't logged into this website for a "Long" time) and found others opinions.

Kathy :)

Ruthxxx
03-12-2004, 10:12 AM
If your heart is OK, go for Meridai - per my doctor pal who is a well-known endocrinologist. Xenical works too if you can stand the side effects!

jiffypop
03-12-2004, 08:22 PM
from what i understand, meridia and xenical increase your weight loss by about 10%. they're not magic pills, but they can help boost the weight loss..

Hot Flash
03-15-2004, 12:14 PM
I'm thinking about trying that and/or Xenical for that extra needed boost........or incentive. I'm plum out of willpower but see the drastic need for change in my current diet.

Thanks for any help! Kathy :)
Kathy, don't waste your time or money on Meredia or Xenical. I took Meridia for four months last summer and lost no weight. I would have better spent the money ($350.00 on four months RX) on a good pair of walking shoes and a better pedometer. Meredia is supposed to cut your appetite back but I didn't notice that I ate any more or less. Xenical doesn't allow you to absorb fat but it has a lot of very unpleasant side effects too. Get involved with Weight Watchers. It isn't a drastic diet, you can eat anything, you can do it for life. Forget the supplements. I have tried every one of them and none of them work. Good luck

ryzmom
03-15-2004, 12:29 PM
I have to agree with the others, neither Meridia or Xenical worked for me or a close friend. One of them (can't remember which) gave my friend some terrible gastric problems, in the form of occasional abdominal pains.

Sunnysideup
05-22-2004, 09:56 PM
and found it to be a big help as long as I followed the program, I.E. lowered my fat intake. At first there was some sensation of bloating, and my (pardon me) stool was looser. But I never experienced loss of control. I would still use it if I could afford it. You probably know it's expensive. My doctor gave me samples to try.
Sunny

MichelleRae
05-23-2004, 09:43 AM
I am using Meridia now! I love it!! But of course I follow the plan! I exercise 6 days a week at least and eat no more than 1200 calories a day! My sister used it for 4 months and lost 40 lbs and reached her goal weight. After I saw her success I asked my doctor about it and Started it on May 1 I have lost a total 14 lbs since then and I am beginning to get my self esteem back :) I also havent had any side effects my blood pressure actually went down probably because of the weight loss, and no gastric problems what so ever, the only thing I noticed was in the first 2 days that I had a little headache but that is gone now and I am having wonderful success! Yes Meridia is very expensive but my insurance covers it so I only pay 20 bucks a month for it!! I would recommend it to anyone!!
Michelle

MichelleRae
05-23-2004, 09:45 AM
IMHO the people who didn't experience a loss did not follow the diet of lowered calories and exercise!! but thats my 2 cents! I know my doctor is impressed with my weight loss :)
Michelle

dilleight
05-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Surely you're bound to lose loads of weight if u only eat 1200 calories a day. Sounds like you should give yourself more credit Michelle :)

MichelleRae
05-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Yes very true, but meridia helps me feel full, where maybe I wouldn't have before :) I don't get that feeling as if I'm "starving" any longer. Meridia is reported to also help you burn calories at a faster rate than normal too. I give myself loads of credit because I work my butt off quite literally I do walk aerobics almost everyday, and I eat healthier :). I am hypothyroid and I'm fairly sure that if I didn't have some sort of help my weight would come off a lot slower :)
MIchelle

cat90
05-25-2004, 02:41 PM
I don't want to 'scare' anyone but i did an online search about Meridia for another girl who was thinking of taking it and what i found out was'nt good :fr: in less than 4 years on the market it has been linked to 34 deaths worldwide, 29 of them being in the states :( side effects include heart disease, increased blood pressure, rapid heart rate, stroke, seizure and mental impairments! There is currently a lawsuit pending :( if it is working for you..Congratulations :) but i for one will stay well clear of ANY of these drugs.
As with any drug consult a doctor before taking them :D for info on meridia or the lawsuit go to www.meridia-news.com/ and www.meridia-recall-lawyers.com/

MichelleRae
05-25-2004, 09:34 PM
Cat - don't worry hasn't scared me away from it at all!! I'm monitored by my doctor and take my bp daily and my bp has actually gone down! I feel great!! I know 3 different people who have used it and they didn't experience the side effects either, I think that it is the carefully screening by a doctor that determines whether or not a person would be a good candidate for meridia. :)

Thanks for the stories though
Michelle

cathyxxx
05-26-2004, 09:04 AM
You know....I was reading over this thread and thinking that the only thing I am really scared of....is being OVERWEIGHT! *sigh*

MichelleRae
05-26-2004, 09:18 AM
Cathy!!! Bingo girl!!!!! That is exactly my fear too being overweight and unhealthy!! I'm working on that now, and I feel better than I have in a long time part in thanks to meridia. Keep up the good work Cathy!!

Michelle

cathyxxx
05-26-2004, 09:42 AM
Hey Michelle! I knew you would understand what I was saying!

I just wanted to say that you are doing really great!
Look at how many miles you have walked this month! WOW!
62 miles already! MAN AM I IMPRESSED!
and a weight loss of 22 lbs! YOU ARE DOING AWESOME! :cp:
glad you're feeling better too!

hugs,
cathy

MichelleRae
05-26-2004, 10:47 AM
:) You are walking up a storm too girl!! Keep it up!!

Michelle

ncdixiechic
02-28-2005, 12:02 PM
:dizzy: hi, i am new to 3fc and i just wanted to know if any of yall take or have taken meridia for weight loss?? my doc put me on it last week. i am on a low fat diet and plus the meridia, i cant even finish a whole lean cuisine. i know that this is gonna sound ridiculous, but i weighed yesterday and have lost 11 lbs. since feb 21, 2005. plus i am gorging myself with water, (like 2 or 3 gallons a day so i am constantly in the bathroom). i know that i have lost mainly water, but it feels so good. i am not going to take the meridia for long just 2 more weeks, but i would like to get some input on it!!!

marbleflys
03-02-2005, 10:58 AM
I have started Meridia today actually.....I don't feel any difference, but ate a small , normal breakfast and don't feel the urge to go hunt up a donut. However, my real problems begin at night.....so we'll see.

I would appreciate comments feedback from others who have taken it. Does it take a couple of days to get into your system?

MrsJim
03-02-2005, 12:38 PM
If you do a search for "Meridia" you'll find quite a few posts/threads here...

marbleflys
03-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Thank you, I was asking for RECENT posts, I already did a search.

MichelleRae
03-03-2005, 04:10 AM
Marbleflys
I have been on Meridia for almost a year now, it helps me with small consistant losses. It's not a miracle drug and does keep the appetite at bay. Meridia has never made me feel different or caused a rise in my blood pressure. I'm one of the people who suffer no ill side effects of this medication.

As for recent posts on Meridia, the information presented in the thread that MrsJim pointed out is pretty recent, no new changes to the med have been made.

Now if you are concerned about night time eating a few simple things may help.
1. are you really hungry? Hunger you feel from the neck up is an emotional craving, hunger you feel in your stomach area is real hunger.
2. Emotional eating CANNOT be curbed by an appetite suppressant. Emotional eating accounts for a large portion of overweight people. They eat when they are happy, sad, bored, you name it they'll eat when they feel it. I always ask myself if I'm eating because I'm bored, 9 times out of ten when I head to the kitchen it's because I'm bored so have signs on my cupboards and refridgerator asking myself these questions.
3. Are you really hungry? Drink an 8 oz glass of water, do you still feel hungry afterwards? If you still feel hungry have a small healthy snack, (lowfat yogurt, a few almonds, a piece of fruit, some veggies, small salad) This should do the trick.
4. Losing weight is NOT about dropping your calories drastically low to lose the weight fast. I found when I started on Meridia that I wasn't hungry and was barely getting in 1000 calories a day. I've adjusted the way I eat and now eat between 1200-1400 calories a day. If you aren't eating enough you are going to first go into starvation mode then once your body has nothing left to hang on to you start losing muscle which as you know is essential to a healthy body. Make sure your body is getting enough fuel.
5. On top of your appetite supressant remember to exercise. Meridia isn't a miracle pill, I still do at least one hour of cardio a day at least 6 days a week. You can't rely upon the med to do the work for you that isn't what it was designed for. Besides, if you lose your weight by only using meds there's a 99% chance that you will gain the weight back and then some.
6. In order to make your weightloss journey a successful one you must make lifestyle changes. Taking a pill daily isn't going to do it, you must change your bad eating habits in to good eating habits, you must turn your inactivity into activity. Once you achieve your weight loss goals you must continue with your new healthy habits. Having obtained your goal isn't free license to jump on the junkfood bandwagon. It would destroy all your hard work.

I assume you are taking this medication under the care of your primary care physician and are going to be seen monthly for weight checks? This is so important to anyone taking medications of any type. If you notice any ill effects after starting on the medication you need to contact your physician. Not every medication is safe for every person. Ordering medications off the internet is not advised.

Dixie, I seethat you have been drinking your water, it is very possible to lose 11 lbs in that amount of time. However, it is water weight you've lost. Our bodies will hold on to water for several reasons such as if you have a high sodium consumption it causes us to be dehydrated so your body will hold on to water to keep it hydrated. Same thing, if you aren't drinking enough water, your body will hold on to it. Once you start replenishing your body with water you'll begin to drop that water weight. Great Job so far! Keep us updated on your success!

Hope this helps!
Michelle

ncdixiechic
03-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Well for me, I felt the effects of the Meridia the first day! I have a huge appetite and the first night on it, I couldnt even finish a whole lean cuisine for supper! I feel no bad side effects of the drug, but I just came of the anti depressant Effexor.(Which I would like to warn everyone about). When i came off Effexor it was a nightmare. I had the worst withdrawls.I even gained 10 lbs in about 3 weeks after I went off Effexor. I am afraid that if I continue the Meridia that when its time for me to stop using it, I will feel those same withdrawl effects again. So I am not taking the Meridia each day. Has anyone heard about any withdrawls effects from Meridia??? i am scared of anykind of med that plays with the chemicals in my brain. My doc did prescribe it to me, but even with his advice i am still a chicken.

ncdixiechic
03-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Michelle, when u first started Meridia how much did you loose right off, because you said your calorie consumption was so low?? Thanks for your input!!

marbleflys
03-03-2005, 01:42 PM
Michelle:

I've read some of your posts in the past and thought they were older as your weight tracker seemed the same.....
thanks for your information. My doctor prescribed it (10 mg QD) because my weight loss is so s-l-o-w.....I've completely changed my diet and do a combo. of wts. and HARD-cardio between 4-6.5 hours per week. In 1999 I had lost 60 lbs. over a 20 month period and I'm horrified that 32 lbs. re-appeared on my body! I'm s/p accident (2 fractures) 6 mos. ago that left me pretty inactive until last December, and under drs. care for depression but I was weaned off Zoloft (and it gave me a voracious appetite!!!! so DUH, yes gaining weight ADDS to my depression and the stuff made me think I hit early menopause!).

you are ohsoright about emotional eating.

I just need to see the scale move a little faster than 2/10 lb. per week when I'm working so hard at it.....my body seems to like to hang on to every ounce and not give it up without a fight. I did not have a weight problem at all until I hit my mid-30s, then it seems my body & metabolism betrayed me, but I'm determined to get back to a healthy weight and reclaim my waist!

I feel fine and have no signs of HTN so far. I work at a large med. facility and have my BP monitored 2-3X per week. The only thing I've noticed is that I am drinking more through out the day (which is good)...I don't "like" water, but I do lemon herbal tea or red zinger, both have no caffiene. it may be a placebo effect, but I'm not real interested in sweets the last 2 days????

Dixie, Hi! I never took Effexxor, but was on both Zoloft and Welbutrin, both did NOT agree with me.... please keep me posted on how you are doing maybe we can compare notes. thanks!

MrsJim
03-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Michelle:

I've read some of your posts in the past and thought they were older as your weight tracker seemed the same.....

Just an FYI - when you change your avatar and/or signature in your profile, it changes in all of your posts - not only your new ones, but your old ones as well. ;)

However each post is marked with a date and time in the upper left corner...

MichelleRae
03-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Dixie,
I lost 17 lbs the first month I was on it and then upon examining my food journal my doctor told me that I must hit at least 1200 calories a day even if it slowed my weight loss down. So after that I lost between 2-8 lbs a month. I am hypothyroid and had a very hard time losing any sort of weight whatsoever even when eating very low calories and exercising every day of the week for at least an hour! I also hit a plateau but I think that was due to my changing my eating plan rather than anything else. I switched from South Beach Diet to Weight Watchers. Weight Watchers proved to be not a good plan for me as it applied the slippery slope theory lol Once I had a treat I had to have more and it was a downward spiral. I still exercise every day and I eat sensibly and I'm happy to have a 2 lb loss every month. I didn't gain the weight overnight and I certainly don't expect it to come off overnight. As a matter of fact I gained 50 lbs in a one years span and I've slowly taken it of in the same time span. So slowly but surely wins the race :)

Marble, yes my posts may appear old because anytime I change my weight tracker it changes it for all of my posts just as Mrs.Jim explained :) I've also discussed the long term side effects of meridia with my doctor and she says that she doesn't believe that I should have any problem with withdrawl. I actually determined that I wanted to come off the Meridia when I hit about 170 because then I'm out of the morbidly obese category and want to accomplish the rest of my loss on my own. I'm assuming that your doctor has taken the necessary steps to find the cause of your body's resistance to weight loss.

Another hint to help you both is to write down every single thing that goes in your mouth crumbs and all. This really helps me to disect what I'm eating and to eliminate what I shouldn't be eating.

I wish you both luck in your weight loss journeys! Please remember to eat enough whole foods and eliminate synthetic foods, if you can't produce the name of an ingredient you probably shouldn't eat it lol. Also don't forget your exercise, the most important factor in your successful weight loss!

Good Luck!

marbleflys
03-04-2005, 01:14 PM
Michelle:
thanks for the info. This is my 3rd day and I feel really good. My BP was 110/70 today and I sleep OK...I feel "perkier" during the day, but that's a good thing. I get in between-4-6.5 hours of exercise per week wts./cardio if I'm not ill (or too depressed which has sabatoged me in the past)

I still get hungry and eat a regular meal, but feel satisfied with less food. (no longer a member of the clean-plate club). my thyroid is completely normal, so that is not an issue either.
TTYS, thanks!
I am aiming for 5-6 lbs. a month

ToniMarie
03-07-2005, 05:16 AM
Hi. Where in NC? I am in Wilm.

As for Meridia, my only experience comes w/my friend who took it for a year, about 4 years ago. In her, it caused heart damage. She now has an irregular heartbeat that the doctor, has since, proclaimed originated b/c of her taking Meridia.

I am sure that there were other factors involved but she has had lawyers approach her saying that they have many other patients also suffering from cardiovascular issues that were not present before taking Meridia.

On the bright side, for her, it worked. She lost 95 lbs with it. After she won't off it, she gained 150lbs and ended up choosing wls as her next option.

So, it's all "second hand" so take it for what you will...but I would just stay really on top of how you feel, as with any new meds.

Good luck!

MichelleRae
03-07-2005, 10:15 AM
I fortunately am not one who has had any ill side effects of meridia. I have had 2 EKG's over the last year and both were completely normal aside from my heart murmur which I've had since I was born Meridia hasn't affected my heart. That is why I think a person needs to be monitored very closely by their doctor when taking these meds.

ncdixiechic
03-07-2005, 01:51 PM
hi toni, im from gastonia, nc. close to charlotte. sounds like the meridia was doing good for your friend. I have a mytro-valve prolapse (kinda like a heart murmur), but my doc seems to think that ill be ok on it. I am still not having an weird side effects yet. i just dont want to have weird feelings when go off it!!!

golightly
03-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Hi, I am a new member as of today. Is there any updated news on the pill Meridia. I read some of the posts of a couple of years ago, now wondering if anyone knows any updates. My doctor gave me a RX for it yesterday, but haven't filled it. Worry about side effects. I can't seem to lose any weight but continue to gain although I go to Curves 3 or 4 times a week, I know this isn't enough but the speed with which I am gaining weight has me concerned, I know I gained 6 lbs since Dec., but didn't even ask what I weighed. I just don't want to go anywhere anymore. It is an effort to get up and get dressed, I have lost all my self esteem. :(
Thanks for information

nelie
03-23-2006, 08:35 PM
I was on Meridia for a short period of time and didn't lose any weight. The doctor took me off Meridia because my normally low blood pressure (100/60) shot way up (130/90) or something like that. It does have side effects which can be very dangerous and one indicator is increased blood pressure. I'd make sure you monitor yourself while also going to the doctor at regular intervals.

almost there
05-25-2006, 10:36 PM
A friend of mine is interested in Meridia, which is an appetite suppresent. She got a prescription from her doctor for it and she was wanting to know if anybody has had success on this and how rapid did you lose the weight?

kaplods
05-26-2006, 05:28 AM
I lost a little at first, maybe 15 lbs, in the first month, and then nothing. I was on it for maybe 6 months before giving up. My husband says he hopes I never try it again, as I had severe moodswings on it.

nelie
05-26-2006, 09:17 AM
I only tried it for a short while but I didn't lose anything. The doctor pulled me off of it because I have low blood pressure and it made me have high blood pressure. If your friend does go on it, she has to make sure she gets checked regularly because it does have some very bad side effects if you aren't careful

pmteub
05-26-2006, 02:38 PM
I was on it 6years ago and developed high bp. Be sure your friend keeps an eye on this - high BP can be very dangerous if not supervised!

Pam

RobertW
05-26-2006, 04:43 PM
It sounded pretty much like "stone soup" to me, from what i read in the New England Journal of Medicine Article (http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/353/20/2111) Of course you are going to lose weight if you exercise and consume 1,200 Cal/day! I want a drug that makes the pounds melt off without consciously following a diet regimen.

almost there
05-29-2006, 11:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I will let her know what was said about the high blood pressure.

MrsKeltsy
01-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Hey my fellow 3FC visitors. I have a question that hopefully I can get some answers to. I went to the Dr's yesterday and asked him about some aid in losing weight. He suggested using Meridia. This type helps surpress your appetite and inreases your metbolisom. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and does it work and did you have any side effects.

I would love to hear back from anyone who knows anything about Meridia

Thanks

cbmare
01-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Is that the one that has small amounts of Prozac in it?

If so, you may not lose weight, but because of the Prozac, you won't care.

OK. Bad joke.

I don't know about it, but there are forums here in the "Does It Work" section. You may find some answers there. In fact, this post may be moved to that section by the moderators.

nelie
01-18-2007, 02:14 PM
I tried Meredia but it has some dangerous side effects so if your blood pressure goes off, you need to go off of it. I took it for a month and my blood pressure went way up so the doctor took me off. I didn't feel less hungry and I didn't lose weight.

marbleflys
01-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Meridia doesn't work for everyone....I took it for about 6 months....it didn't do too much in the weight control, but it worked better than any anti-depressant that had been prescribed for me in the past. it boosts your seratonin levels supposedly so you feel satisfied with less food.

I had better success with a short term use of Ionamin (time-release resin base Phentermine)

Jaana
01-20-2007, 03:40 PM
The Dr. perscribed Meridia for me a few years ago. I did eat less, but not like phentermine. With Meridia I only ate until I was full. It was like it helped me recognize when I was full so I didn't have seconds or dessert.

Watch out for severe constipation as a side effect (I didn't get it so bad as a friend who tried and was miserable--sorry, TMI) and I think they have to closely monitor your blood pressure.

baimak
01-20-2007, 08:04 PM
My sister in law is on this has been since the end of November,she was walking 5 miles a day and doing WW, but she just coudnt get rid of the weight, she dropped 28 pounds fairly quickly she said the biggest problem was she has to force herself to eat, the doc told her that at the rate she is losing he doubts that at the next weigh in she will get a refill, she said she has a had a couple of days when she felt crappy, but other then that she loves it, I dont have enough weight to l.ose to get prescribed it, it has helped her change her way of life, before her family lived on junk, now she just isnt hungry. so like anything it right ofr some and not others.

gumboot
01-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Hi there, I took meridia for 6 months last year. It really worked for me as I dropped 45lbs. I had some annoying side effects though that made me stop taking it. I suffered from constipation, dry mouth and headaches.

I would say it took 3-4 weeks before I *felt* like it was working. I must say though, this is no magic bullet. You still have to eat right and exercise. It just controls the part of the brain that regulates hunger.

Another down side is the cost. It was costing me $130 Canadian dollars a month as it was not covered by my benefit package at work.

Hope some of this info helps.

MrsKeltsy
01-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Thank you all for the replys. I guess for everyone it works different. I have been on it for 2 days, today is my third day and I do find that I am not as hungry. I have been on the go so that may be it, so I will see in the next couple of days if it really is working since I will be at home.

Sounds like constipation is a side effect for many, I plan on eating lots of fibre so it hopefully won't be as bad.

I will let you all know how I am doing on it and if I lose any.

Thanks again

MiraculousMe
01-24-2007, 12:00 PM
The key with Meridia is that it doesn't work instantly. My doctor prescribed it for me and i told him I tried it before and it didn't work and he said that it actually takes about three months to truly see results from it. I didn't stay on it for three months so I couldn't say whether or not that is accurate. I ended up getting Phentermine which my doctor didn't approve of but has agreed to let me use it. That works instantly.

buckettgirl
01-27-2007, 09:07 AM
I was on Meridia about 3 years ago.... I lost about 40lbs, but I only ate about 900cal per day. It isn't a magic pill. If you don't watch what you eat you won't lose anything.
I didn't feel hungry when I took it, and I didn't care about food. It is expensive and insurance won't cover it. I had headaches and dry mouth everyday... not severe, but definitely annoying.
If you don't know if you can stick with healthy eating and exercise, then I'm not sure I'd waste the money on it. When I went off Meridia and off my diet, I gained everything I lost plus another 60lbs.

THE BIG ORANGE BABE
01-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Yes, it works if you want to constantly go through the day with a brown spot on your panties!!!

You have no control....

BOB

nelie
01-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Big orange,
I think you are thinking of Xenical which will make you pass fat which if you eat too much fat will end up in your colon. Your colon isn't designed to deal with fat/grease so it can't stop leakage.

THE BIG ORANGE BABE
01-28-2007, 12:11 PM
OOPS....SORRY....yes I was and my mistake....BUT MERIDIA does tend to raise the blood pressure.....and that's not a good thing!

BOB

nelie
01-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Actually, Meridia can do worst than raise blood pressure. The rise in blood pressure is a sign that something worst (heart attack or stroke) can result. Which is why if you take Meridia, you really need a doctors supervision. If your blood pressure goes up, then you need to stop taking meridia immediately.

Leenie
02-05-2007, 08:42 AM
I tried it a few years ago. The only thing it did for me was give me wicked stomach pains and gas that could melt the wall paper off your walls.

WICKED STUFF IMHO :fr:

sharonrr
02-05-2007, 08:53 AM
My cousin is on Wellbutrin which is an anti depressant. The doctor prescribed it for weight loss. She likes it. She doesn't have any side effects.
I'm sure everyone is different.

MrsKeltsy
02-05-2007, 05:37 PM
well I am on the second week of it and the only side effect I have had is a "little" bit of constipation. Nothing too bad, but I am trying to eat more bran to help. I actually do feel less hungry and have to tell myself "okay it's lunch time, you have to eat" because I usually don't have that hungry feeling. There are times that I do get that hungry feeling and I eat regularly.

Since I have been on it my weight has been up and down. I have been down 5 pounds and then the next time I weigh it is up 3 more pounds. The doctor said the first few weeks are the water loss, not the weight loss.

I asked him about the blood pressure because they didn't take mine before and didn't say anything about following up for visits. He said not to worry about it. He took my blood pressure and said things look good.

I am hoping this is something that helps, the cost is expensive, but if it helps control my hunger that that is good.

I will let you all know how things are going.

honeybcharm
02-06-2007, 05:59 PM
I took Meridia when I lost my original weight. I believe 100% in it. I felt full quickly and didn't feel the need to eat as much. I started in Feb of 2003 and by August of 2003 I had lost 50 lbs.

I wish I had some more of that. :( :?:

rosemarie0007
02-16-2007, 02:08 PM
I have just started meridia. I am on day 4. I have lost about 2 pounds even though it is TOM.

I was wondering if others could share their experiences with me. I need to lose about 30 pounds. I know I am a borderline canidate for it but none the less I believe I really have a problem with my metabolism. I am 5'6', 43 years old and wiegh 168. I have been trying for over 2 years and I can't seem to lose. Most of my life I weighed 145 to 150 even after having 3 kids and gaining 50 pounds with each.

I noticed my mood and energy seemed to improve, although when I first take the pill I get a buzz and then feel sleepy. After the initial buzz food does not seem to interest me. It seems like it puts some control on my eating.

I have a two month supply. How long do I need to take it? and what exactly is this drug? Is it some sort of antidepressent combinied with speed? After reading the info on the drug I didn't understand exactly how it works. I also have trouble sleeping since starting it and I am waking early, a good thing since I seem to have been having really low energy, waking at 10. I really do believe you have to get your energy level up to lose weight, and how do you lose if you have trouble getting out of bed? I also seem to need to nap two hours a day, but I skipped my nap today.

I know about the blood pressure thing, but doesn't being over weight raise your blood pressure too?

Yes, I've tried antidepressents before and hated them.

I exercise a few hours a week and eat "healthy", my problem is bingeing.

-Elaine

-Elaine

walking2lose
02-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Hi there,
I'm just curious - are you under a doctor's care? I don't know a lot about meridia, except that my mother-in-law took it. She had some success, but I think she quit it because of side effects. However, she is much more overweight than you are (still about 80 overweight, I'm guessing, not sure how much over when she started it).

Like I said, I really don't know much at all, but it just seems to be that it's serious stuff and that your dr. should fully explain to you how it works. I'm sure there are people on here who can give you some good insight as well.

Good luck to you

rosemarie0007
02-17-2007, 11:07 AM
No, I am not on under a doctor's care, but I plan on checking my blood pressure and if the side effects are too much I'll quit. I only have a two month supply, I really was just trying to boost my weight loss because I haven't lost any more WW since earlier this year when I went from 177 to 166 at WW, then I gained back almoxt all of it and am having a real hard time getting below 169.
I have been hovering at this weight for almost 2 years and have been trying
various diets and exercises.

kaplods
02-17-2007, 12:52 PM
I was on Meridia for about six months. I lost a little weight on it, but the side effects were too extreme. My doctor prescribed it even though I have high blood pressure, and he adjusted my medication to compensate.

Generally Meridia is only prescribed for those with over 60 lbs to lose, because the blood pressure spike can be dangerous, and at weights less than this the benefits are generally not thought to be worth the risks. Particularly because of the way the drug works. In most cases, the effect of the drug is not dramatic, but for a person who is very overweight the theory is that any loss is better than none, and might give a person a small jump start in weight loss.

Meridia was created as an antidepressant (no speed, but antidepressants can make you feel "wired," especially at first. This might be a sign that it is affecting your blood pressure and heart rate, however). The appetite suppressing effects were discovered by accident, and because it's antidepressant effects weren't any better than drugs already on the market, they developed it as a diet drug. Like most antidepressants it can actually increase appetite in some people. It can also affect mood both positively and negatively.

It really shouldn't be taken without medical supervision. When I was taking it, I had to see my doctor every two weeks at first, and every month once I'd been on it for a while. The potential side effects for a thinner person are just as severe as for a more overweight person, as my doctor said it is unpredictable as to who will have side effects, which is why he wouldn't prescribe it to anyone who had less than 100 lbs to lose.

Also Meridia, like other antidepressant drugs can have serious drug interactions (I think there might be food interactions too, but I don't remember if that's true of Meridia).

walking2lose
02-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Wow. Didn't know all those effects. Personally, I think I'd be scared to use it without seeing a doc.

Mami
02-17-2007, 07:13 PM
I have just started meridia. I know I am a borderline canidate for it but none the less I believe I really have a problem with my metabolism. I am 5'6', 43 years old and wiegh 168. I have been trying for over 2 years and I can't seem to lose. Most of my life I weighed 145 to 150 even after having 3 kids and gaining 50 pounds with each.

I exercise a few hours a week and eat "healthy", my problem is bingeing.

-Elaine

A few months back I followed your plan but also wasn't losing anything. I realized it really is all about the number of calories consumed as deducted by calories burned through resting metabolic rate, daily activities and exercise. I think my numbers show if I dont get any exercise in a given day, I need to eat less than 2000 calories or I will just maintain or even gain. I can eat as healthy as I want, but if I eat too many calories as compared to calories burned, I wont lose fat (and its sure easy to eat more calories than one thinks). I've been counting every calorie that I've eaten for a while now and its so easy now to see what's going on. When I go up, I see why. If I lose, I can see that too, that I've been eating less or burning a lot at the gym. I have a spreadsheet to track the weight, cals burned, cals eaten and the deficit; the weight sure does keep up with the deficit column. Hopefully the meridia will help you control the binges, but I would still count calories eaten and burned (this helps to motivate you to go to the gym) to see what's going on. :dizzy:

marbleflys
02-19-2007, 11:56 AM
I tried Meridia for about 6 months....it really did NOT suppress my appetite, but it worked GREAT as an anti-depressant....I specifically remember waking up on day 5 or 6 and feeling GOOD....(I usually felt like **&^%).

for suppressing my appetite I had better sucess with phentermine.

rosemarie0007
02-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Coleen, you said," Meridia was created as an antidepressant (no speed, but antidepressants can make you feel "wired," especially at first. This might be a sign that it is affecting your blood pressure and heart rate, however). The appetite suppressing effects were discovered by accident, and because it's antidepressant effects weren't any better than drugs already on the market, they developed it as a diet drug. Like most antidepressants it can actually increase appetite,"(I know use the quote button, I am not a forum whiz yet, I don't even have an avatar)
from what I researched I read that it is the chemical sibutramine which is a stimulant related to amphetamines. I think it tells your brain when you are full or something, is that the antidepressent part?

I would say it also stays with you a long time. Also my mood has improved.
I have not lost any weight though, so I agree its not some magic pill, but i'm not gaining even though its TOM. It was weird but after taking it for 5 days even though I kept waking up in the middle of the night and waking early I looked better. I didn't take it for a day and the depression set right back in.
I also noticed that when I take it I seemed to be able to tolerate stress around me better.

I also am not experiencing an increase in appetite. From what I read the increased appetite is a less common side effect. I do find the drug hard to take though, there are side effects, the waking in the middle of the night is annoying.

I have all the WW materials. I quit going because I would track till lunch then binge every night and eat 10 extra points at night. So I am going to go back to tacking on my own, and see if I can get this bingeing under control. So far, I'm doing better, but still have not lost anything.

Thanks for the replies.

-Elaine

kaplods
02-20-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm not sure Elaine, mostly I'm going by what my doctor told me and the handouts I got from the doctor and pamphlets from the drug company that makes it. At the time I was taking it, you could sign up on the drug company website for a discount card which came in the mail along with a bunch of pamphlets. I just remember that the company was emphasizing that it was NOT an amphetamine. I suppose that doesn't mean it isn't LIKE an amphetamine.

I do remember that the drug was supposed to work by increasing the levels of several neurotransmitters, if I'm not mistaken seratonin, dopamine, and norepinephrin (may have spelled those wrong). Most antidepressants increase one or more neurotransmitters, but which ones, and how they accomplish it can be different.

When I was in graduate school we studied a lot of the antidepressants and other neurotransmitter effecting drugs (I have my master's degree in psych), but Meridia hadn't been out yet. All the neurotransmitter affecting drugs can have side effects of increasing or decreasing sleep, sex drive, appetite, energy level, and mood (including suicidal thoughts). Some of them are more or less likely to affect one or the other (or affect it in a particular direction), but any affect is possible. This is why antidepressants can be dangerous when not prescribed and supervised appropriately. Someone who is depressed, but who has never been suicidal, and not aware that the antidepressant can actually provoke suicidal thoughts might actually be at risk for suicide. The chances of any antidepressant making a person suicidal is more common in teens, but can happen in anyone. I've not heard of Meridia doing so, but I suppose even that is possible.

rosemarie0007
02-21-2007, 08:58 AM
Uhh, it raised my blood pressure, 147/94.

I think it was 140/90 when I had my knee surgery in January.

I had been to a cardiologist and he said I was fine, so I don't know if this is from
anxiety or what. I think it is the extra 30 pounds which is doing it,
but the drug seems too risky. We are getting a monitor and I am going
to monitor myself for a while off the drug, although I am not sure if it is even the drug.

I have a family history of heart disease so I am getting worried about being unable to lose this 30 pounds, no I didn't get any help from the doctor.

I don't know what I'm thinking, anyway after a week I didn't lose anyway.

nelie
02-21-2007, 09:26 AM
I will say that I've always had low blood pressure (normal for me is 100/60). When I tried Meridia, my blood pressure went to 150/90 and the doctor told me that I couldn't take it anymore. It didn't do anything for me anyway. It would've been nice if it did work and if it didn't have dangerous side effects.

rosemarie0007
02-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Can't they come up with something, that everyone can take and is safe?

I mean I'm not afraid to diet and exercise but sometimes we need help with appetite or whatever, or our metabolism has really slowed down.

They have help for smokers, and drinkers, (antabuse and revia), why not something for eaters?

I even tried smoking to try and lose weight, but I really don't like it, and I actually ended up gaining, go figure.

rosemarie0007
02-22-2007, 09:35 AM
look, I got an avatar

indigal
06-24-2007, 05:46 AM
That's what they call it in US, Here in India it's Obego.
Generic name is: Sibutramine Hydrochloride Monohydrate.

I went to an endocrinolgist Friday, to get my glands tested...He only tested thyroid, which I knew was fine. He also tested for Diabetes and Cholesterol.

No diabetes, though my cholesterol is 293, so I'm on Lipitor now for that.

He prescribed Obego 10mg capsule to assist in weight loss. He said it's for assisting in weightloss as I am obese... to be used with diet and exercise.

Anybody out there taking it? Seeing results? Side effects?

:?: k

dreamcatchers
04-12-2008, 03:40 PM
I was just given a script for Meridia. I have taken Phentermine with exceptional success years ago(although weight is now back on). Dr. did not want to give it to me again due to side effects involving heart valves. I am going to start the Meridia tomorrow and was wondering if anyone has had success with it. The dose starts low and then is increased from what I understand.
What I am looking for is a jump start or little boost. There are little to no side effects.
If anyone has been on this can you give me an idea of what to expect??

Lisa

rosemarie0007
04-13-2008, 08:56 AM
I took it for two weeks. It gave me chest pains, and I've heard it can raise blood pressure. I am now having success with wellbutrin, love it, it gives me energy and I don't keep thinking about food, and I lost some weight.

Idealmuse
04-13-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm also on Wellbutrin. More for the depression aspect but it helps a bit with food appetite somewhat. I haven't used Merida, but I've had friends who have it's supposed to work in the same type of way (hence why you can't take both at the same time)

dreamcatchers
04-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Well...day 1 on Meridia. More conscious of my intake of food also. Going to make trip to grocery store tomorrow for some healthier foods. I need to get some fruit and low cal snacks. I need those sweet snacks like cake and cookies.
Any ideas on some treats?? The 100 cal packs are a life saver but I would like to make some quick and easy things too.
Lisa

Dina1979
04-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Meridia and Phentermine didn't really work for me because I never had an out of control appetite that needed suppression. I did find, however, that i was drinking LOADS of water because both meds gave me severe dry mouth.

As for the snack ideas, Lisa, I've found that a great snack for filling you up and curbing the sugar-cravings are mixed nuts/dried fruits. But not Planters or any of the mass-produced commercial ones - try to find the organic mixed nut/dried fruit that comes in a plastic container usually in one of the perimeter aisles of your grocery store. They don't have the preservatives or added sugars of the bigger commercial brands, so they're better for you overall.

Good luck!

kaplods
04-16-2008, 01:20 PM
My meridia experience (possibly TMI)

Meridia raised my blood pressure, but my doctor felt it was a small enough increase that it was safe to continue. Meridia was originally intended to be an anti-depressant (both anti-depressants and some appetite suppressants affect seratonin and other neurotransmitter levels).

I did lose about 15 lbs with careful dieting, but I was going through some stressful (positive and negative) situations, including becoming engaged and marrying my husband. Dating and marriage can wreak havoc on dieting, and my husband was certainly trying to impress me with fine dining. So failing to lose more (but not gaining), might have actually been success rather than failure.

My husband actually asked me to stop taking it, because he said it changed my personality. I felt very confident and decisive while taking it, but also couldn't sleep well and had night terrors (waking up in a panic). It also drastically affected my sex drive (in a way, you think a man would be happy with, but my husband said it made me "scary"). It was rather extreme, and I couldn't even concentrate at work.

All anti-depressant type drugs can have these effects, and they can affect different people in opposite directions. Sex drive for example can go drastically up or drastically down. You might find that you are unable to sleep, or sleepy all the time.

amalthia
11-26-2008, 02:15 PM
I've been on this for 3 days, and I am curious as to whether anyone on here has tried it. Does it work?

nelie
11-26-2008, 02:25 PM
I tried it around 4 or 5 years ago? Not only did it not work for me but caused my normally low blood pressure to shoot up and my doctor took me off of it.

My only recommendation if you take it is to not skip out on seeing your doctor at least once a month.

Leenie
11-26-2008, 02:51 PM
I was on it years ago and all it gave me was horrible stomach pains.

amalthia
11-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Oh great. Thanks for the link. :)
And stomach pains...yikes.

katiejames
01-04-2009, 11:01 PM
i was on meridia for a month in june and i can honestly say it did nothing.. my friend was also on it for a month and she lost 3 pounds... its a waste of the 100+ $ prescription...

beerab
01-05-2009, 05:00 PM
I agree with the others- I was on it for two months and lost 10 lbs, then gained it all back the second I got off of it!

Now I'm doing the fat smash and in one month have lost 6 lbs and am still going strong.

The pills are just way too expensive!

timetoshrink
02-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has tried or is taking meridia, I will be going into my fourth week and so far things have been going well. I have only had a few side effects that included a dry mouth and mild headaches which have since disappeared. I also find that if I don't take it first thing in the morning I am not able to sleep at night. I'm curious to see if anyone knows how long this medication works for. I would Love to hear your views on this medication.

Take Care :)

Jen
04-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Hi there. I took meridia a couple of years ago but not for very long because my dh and I decided to have another baby. Well I am 6 months post partum, finished breast feeding so I started taking it again. I hasn't been very long so I haven't really noticed anything yet but the first time I did lose a bit of weight, not as much as I could have because I really didn't do much with my diet and exercise but this time I am more committed to eating better and exercising.

Leenie
04-10-2009, 02:27 PM
I took it years ago too, it gave me wicked stomach pains so I stopped. I even tried it again about a month after that but the same side effects came back so I stopped.

mellyann
08-28-2009, 06:38 AM
My brother is trying to get me to try Meridia. He said his friend used it and she lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks. Has NO appetite.

Anyone try this? I'm toying with the idea of taking it for a week or two to get a jump start.

bacilli
08-28-2009, 07:51 AM
I lost a ton of weight on it a few years ago, because I was never hungry and had to force myself to eat. Once I went off of it, my body was like hi remember me? You haven't fed me in months, let's eat!

nelie
08-28-2009, 12:07 PM
I merged your thread with a few other meridia threads out there over the years. Many people have posted their experiences in the past.

Froufy
12-25-2009, 04:38 PM
I have been on Meridia since June 2009 - prescribed by my endocrinologist after complaining about how hard a time I was having trying to lose weight and I was so focused on what I could and could not eat. She gave me a couple of 'trial' packs of the 10 mg and I tried them and WOW - what a difference! I was no longer obsessed with food and could go hours without eating. And eventually I settled into a pattern of eating less...and making some better choices.

At the time I had been going to a TOPS group and had struggled to lose 15 lbs - but the meridia sure helped speed things up and I have now (Dec 2009) lost 35 lbs. I notice things are slowing down a bit and dr had given me a prescripton for 15 mg so I just filled it the other day and I am taking that now (hoping it helps thru the holiday season).

What Meridia does is affect the satisfaction centers of the brain - so that you SHOULD be satisfied with less food! My dr said I was very lucky cuz in her experience it only worked for 25% of her patients.....not everyone could tolerate it or had any significant results. I realize the problem is not eating as much.....it is very easy to 'continue' eating - however you need to be aware of your 'satisfaction' levels and monitor them carefully.

For example I can now just eat half a sandwich for lunch, a bowl of soup or small salad w/tuna - instead of what I was normally eating. Of course it's easy to eat the other half of the sandwich but of course that may slow down your weight loss.

Meridia should always be used in conjunction with a good eating plan and exercise. Since losing 35 lbs my bp has gone down (I am on bp meds), my insulin is normal, my sugars are normal, and my cholesterol is still good. Hoping to lose at least another 25 lbs if possible but I am so happy now cuz I am getting fit and have started buying some new clothes in smaller sizes (and have given all the big clothes away).

Would love to hear others' experiences with meridia and dosages...and any side effects they encountered!

Thanks!

P.S. Luckily here in Canada my prescriptions are covered by my drug plan (80% of cost)...and I do visit my dr every 2-3 months!

alhiser
12-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Works AWESOMELY! BUT....BIG BUT, you have to work hard to maintain, or you will gain it back. Plus the expensiveness is kinda a let down. I think it is something you have to be on long term in order to keep up :(

markjoetay
01-02-2010, 05:37 AM
I am also new to this forum. I have also started taking meridia medication to reduce my weight. I would like to share my experience with it.

Now I am also in race.:carrot:

CJZee
01-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Apparently Meridia is now linked to an increased risk of heart attack and stroke for some patients. Here is the FDA info link (http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm198221.htm) posted 1/21/10.

JessLess
10-08-2010, 01:29 PM
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/214352-warning-meridia-off-market.html#post3513847

Meridia has been taken off the market.