General chatter - Presents!!

View Full Version : Presents!!

Unna
12-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Anyone get any cool presents???

Well, X-mas here is typically about just getting together as a Family and enjoying each other's company. I only get one present from my boyfriend - but that one present is pretty darn cool:

Tickets to a Feist concert in Cologne, Germany in March! The venue is super small and intimate. Of course he also gifted me a copy of the new CD. It is SO good.

I can't wait to download the cd onto my ipod and jog to it - it is sort of mesmerizing.

Did anyone else get anything unexpected/ cool??

retrogirl
12-26-2011, 11:08 AM
During xmas dinner my dad told me there's a box of my old toys somewhere above the garage! Not really a gift, but I'm excited to see what's there.
Fingers crossed for awesome 80's and 90's toys. I remember having loads of Barbie, My Little Pony and such.

IsobelRose22
12-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Well, I've been with my new boyfriend for 4weeks now and as we haven't been together that long, we agreed that we wouldn't buy presents, instead we'd go and do something together. On christmas eve he hands me a bag from a jewellary shop, and says that he saw it and wanted to get it for me. I open it on christmas day and inside was the most beautiful pendant, simple but striking which is me all over.

CanadianCutie
12-26-2011, 12:01 PM
My fiance's Sister and his nieces and nephew went to Build A Bear Workshop, and made me a cat. It is so cute and cuddly. And my fiance got me a charm bracelet and a pair of beautiful earrings.

mammasita
12-26-2011, 12:13 PM
I've been fawning over black diamonds for a few months now. My boyfriend got me an amazingly beautiful white and black diamond ring. I love it!

theox
12-26-2011, 06:09 PM
My parents gave me a big tupperware-type container (and threw in a 1/2 batch of their chili :drool:) and a grocery store gift card. Both of those will come in handy. They gave me a few other things too, but I mainly just enjoyed getting to spend time with them.

Ookpik
12-26-2011, 08:15 PM
My nieces gave me a gift card for Reitman's for $40. Reitman's is having a 70% off Boxing Week sale right now, so I can go get some nice clothes this week for school, which starts again in a few weeks. I wasn't expecting that, but certainly appreciate it. I also got a beautiful Labradorite inuksuk necklace from my brother and sister-in-law.

Santa was quite good to me as well, I got a trip to Las Vegas for midterm break in February! It wasn't unexpected however, as I am Santa in my house!

juliana77
12-26-2011, 10:44 PM
My sister got me a (Mr. Coffee) Keurig coffee maker! I have wanted one for a while and it is just perfect for one person. They also got me the reusable pod so I can use regular coffee in it. My son got me a bagel slicer (with Grandma's help - he is 8) because he has a bagel for breakfast a few times a week and I always complain about slicing them.

The favorite gift I GAVE was to my 2yo nephew - a kiddie digital camera. He absolutely loves it and has taken hundreds of pictures... mostly of walls, still working on the aiming part, but he is hilarious.

indiblue
12-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Among other things, my mom sent me a tiny little Mason jar drinking glass with Linus and Snoopy on it. I grew up loving Peanuts comics and have the same picture of Linus and Snoopy on a coffee mug I use every day that my mom bought me a few years back.

It was just a small stocking stuffer but it meant so much to me. I live halfway across the world and didn't get to see my family for Christmas this year (or last). Having a piece that my mom found, probably at some small antique or thrift store, that reminds me of my childhood is just so touching. I'm getting a bit chocked up just writing this!

I don't get all the complaints people have about bad Christmas gifts... it really is about the love they put behind the presents and getting to spend time with them. It's nice to see all the happy posts here about the touching and thoughtful gifts/experiences people received this holiday :)

theox
12-27-2011, 12:40 AM
Santa was quite good to me as well, I got a trip to Las Vegas for midterm break in February! It wasn't unexpected however, as I am Santa in my house!

:D

The favorite gift I GAVE was to my 2yo nephew - a kiddie digital camera. He absolutely loves it and has taken hundreds of pictures... mostly of walls, still working on the aiming part, but he is hilarious.

What a wonderful present!

chickadee32
12-27-2011, 03:19 AM
I gave a great gift that I got to enjoy as well. :D We normally visit my family for Christmas, but since we couldn't travel this year I got us tickets for a football game on Christmas Eve day. The tickets came with a parking pass for a lot that was literally a few rows from the stadium so getting in and out was a breeze, and we sat in the front row of a climate-controlled suite and watched our home team lose. :lol: Neither of us ever really watch football and so we were dependent on the cheers or jeers of the crowd to tell us what was going on most of the time, but we had a blast! It was just something fun and different to do together since we couldn't be with family for the holidays this year.

Sinoia
12-27-2011, 05:56 AM
My partner got me Star Wars; the old Republic MMORPG =) That takes care of the whole year!

sontaikle
12-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Sonic Generations from my fiancée. Running through 3D Green Hill Zone? Yes please </nerd>

ICUwishing
12-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Spouse got me a Bluetooth keyboard for my iPad to make posting on 3FC easier! :D

serendipity907
12-28-2011, 01:02 PM
I was gifted some really pretty scented candles in beautiful jars, some smellies and make up, and a DVD of Merlin s1-3 :D I really loved everything, but as I'm no longer a child I definitely prefer giving my friends and family their presents, especially this year as I'd found really ideal gifts for them!

I received some money also, so I did a little post-Christmas splurge and got myself a Clarisonic Mia, after years of longing for one :-)

LosinItIn2012
12-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Oh I had a wonderful Christmas!!!! My Fiance' bought himself the Star Wars Old Republic MMORPG that came out so I got him some lounge pants and shirts and also a rechargable screwdriver.. He got me a makeup brush kit, manicure set, diamond earrings, necklace for my locket that he got me on my birthday, awesome hairdryer! LOL.. My wonderful Mom got me some clothes from my favorite shop, Torrid.. But my favorite part was buying for all the kiddies in our life, we have so many neices and nephews, that we just had a blast buying them gifts and watching them open them!

Daki
12-29-2011, 02:21 PM
My partner got me Star Wars; the old Republic MMORPG =) That takes care of the whole year!

Nice! I wish I had cared to look more into that game, I should have asked for it! So for now I'm playing on my boyfriend's account when he's doing dungeons and dailies in World of Warcraft haha.

For Christmas I got a Nook Color! I was pretty sure I was getting it. My aunt wanted one and I showed my grandma that the B&N site sold certified pre-owneds for less money. My grandma is one for encouraging reading and knows I hate to carry books around because my purse destroys them. Really glad I got one! I'm now finally reading the Song of Ice and Fire series thanks to her :D

My boyfriend bought me a pair of Vibram FiveFinger Sprint! I told him back in August when I started jogging that I wanted a pair if I stuck with it. In typical me fashion, I forgot all about that treat! Thankfully, he remembered. And even got me the right size! He was sneaky and started a game of "how big is your hand against mine? what about feet?" then measured how far up my foot came on his foot! Boy do they take some getting use to, though. My feet and lower calves are so SORE today.

And my favorite gift this year was an apron. My EIGHT year old sister sewed it for me all by herself! IT'S SO CUTE. It has cupcakes all over it and the bottom part looks like a skirt. I just CAN'T get over that apron. It's the best. It took her 4 hours to make it which is like 3 weeks in 8 year old time.

Rainbowgirl
12-29-2011, 04:51 PM
I got a nice winter jacket I really needed. It's just from Wal-mart, but it's very warm and has lots of handy pockets. Will be useful when I move back to my parent's house as they live in a significantly colder climate than I do here on the coast.

I also got a really pretty bottle of Mariah Carey perfume; "Luscious Pink" is what it's called, I think.

Best gift I gave this year? My sister, mom, and I went in on a Kobo Vox for my dad. He loves it :)

My mom got diamonds :P Dad had a $100 gift certificate to the mall in their city courtesy of the mine he works at, so when he got off graveyard shift Christmas Eve morning, I went with him to pick out mom's gift. He bought a pair of heart-shaped diamond-chipped earrings and matching necklace. Cost a pretty penny but it's one of the few pieces of jewelry that mom's gotten and LOVED, so worth it. Plus, it stopped her from complaining when, on Boxing Day, he went and bought an icing fishing tent for himself LOL

roobear
12-30-2011, 07:34 PM
My bf bought me a Kinect and I haven't got on it once cos he is always on it!

Also (cool to me but maybe not to anyone else) I got a Cath Kidston sewing box and Cath Kidston Stitch book and Monopoly Plymouth version.

d130
12-31-2011, 12:40 PM
I got a few bottles of wine and champagne from family members and work colleagues, as well as a gift card for new pots & pans (desperately needed!) from my mother-in-law and tickets to an event in the new year that we love going to.

From the hubby, I got a beautiful diamond necklace and a lovely set of dangly pearl earrings. But the best thing he got me was a three year old watch! :D

It's totally silly, but I wanted it when I first saw it a few years ago, but didn't really have the money for it at the time, but I never forgot it. Well I had a bit of spare money this year so I started looking for it, not really expecting to find it. After having been to a few jewellers in the hunt for it, one of them recommended a website that has end of line watches - and there it was, waiting for me!

I told hubby about it and he ordered it for me (knew about this bit) but wouldn't tell me when/if it had come in, so I had to wait until Christmas to see he had got it - so cruel! :D

It's not that expensive, but suits me down to the ground and is from one of my favourite series of movies, so it's perfect.

lissvarna
01-03-2012, 04:52 PM
My boyfriend got me diamond white gold earrings. I love them and I've never gotten such nice jewelry before. It was so exciting. We also had a wonderful dinner when we exchanged, such a nice night together.

My parents got me a Kindle Fire (love!) and an awesome printer, and some other little things-- including an armband for my iPod when I work out. I absolutely love the kindle!

XLMuffnTop
01-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Nice! I wish I had cared to look more into that game, I should have asked for it! So for now I'm playing on my boyfriend's account when he's doing dungeons and dailies in World of Warcraft haha.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is seriously fun. We shelled out money for two copies since we've been at it since Beta and got early access. Well worth it for us!

I am quite proud of the gift I got DH. He always mentions my son's cool socks and how they only make cool ones for kids. I scoured the internet and got him some really funky pairs with skull and crossbones, sheet music, etc.

He got me a little one cup coffee maker (not a Keurig) to go in my office since I loathe the stuff in the break room. :)

LosinItIn2012
01-03-2012, 11:09 PM
I just have to say that I find it awesome how many people play Star Wars Old Republic.. My Fiance' is trying to get me to try it, he'e been in it since the Beta and splurged for Christmas and ordered the Collector's Edition, so I've basically lost him since it came out.. LOL.. He got into the Diablo 3 Beta and I tried it, so Im waiting for that to come out, until then I have my WOW =):carrot:

XLMuffnTop
01-04-2012, 11:27 AM
He got into the Diablo 3 Beta and I tried it, so Im waiting for that to come out, until then I have my WOW =):carrot:

I never got into WoW myself but that's attributed more to the fact that I was an EQ1 person and immediately jumped into EQ2 when it came out. I'm (sort of) leaving EQ2 for Star Wars. A ton of people I'm playing with got Star Wars for Christmas so it seems their release date timing was impeccable.

Princess Squish
01-05-2012, 06:23 AM
I got so many awesome gifts!
My clothing is starting to look frumpy on me so I got some new clothes. Yay! And might I say.. VERY flattering. ;)
I got some (more) makeup, which is always awesome.
And-- total awesomeness-- I got an Android tablet! WOOP!

shishkeberry
01-06-2012, 11:46 AM
A little late to the party, but I got some neat gifts this year. My 7yo son got me a plush Ravens football (my first Christmas present from him :love: ), some comfy Ravens socks from my mom, and both my ILs and my DF got me a new cast iron skillet. I used to have cast iron pans but I had to abandon them during a bad time in my life and they both had the idea to help me replace them. Too sweet. I love cast iron pans! Oh, and DF also promised to let me have a day off from being a mom. I was supposed to cash that in last week but DF fell down the stairs and injured his hand so I had to take a rain check. I'm going to wait and use it next month after we get our taxes so I can do more with it than just nap all day.

LosinItIn2012
01-06-2012, 09:03 PM
I never got into WoW myself but that's attributed more to the fact that I was an EQ1 person and immediately jumped into EQ2 when it came out. I'm (sort of) leaving EQ2 for Star Wars. A ton of people I'm playing with got Star Wars for Christmas so it seems their release date timing was impeccable.

Yeah it really was good timing. I knew my Fiance' was going to get it for himself as soon as they announced it.. LOL.. Neither of us got into EQ, he got me playing WOW when we first started dating and I've been playing it ever since. although lately I haven't been playing much of anything, just taking a little break.

FrouFrou
01-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Christmas Eve dinner with the family...best gift ever!