South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 05:43 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default SBD Chat - The Weekend - Dec. 24 & 25

Good Saturday morning. I got another early start today and that coffee sure tastes good. I am so glad Linda "forced" me to buy a Keurig and even gave me coupon! Yesterday Donna gave me one of those carousel thingies to hold the K-cups so I'm all set.

Yesterday morning, Claire and tall Matthew came over and finished up those dratted outside lights. Next year they will go up in November! They also hung some garlands in archways for me, a job that I can't do without a ladder. I did get a lot of party cooking done although there is more to do today. As I get closer to the event, I simplify the menu more and more - think "Restaurant Impossible" and Gordon Ramsay. Maybe I can just put out a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter?

Neighbours dropped in last night and we celebrated the season with some single malt. My kitchen is a complete disaster which I hate but I was just too tired when they left to do my usual "Martha" out there. When I write myself my usual post-Christmas letter, I must make a note to cut down on the variety of food I think I have to serve at my Eve party.

Time to crank up the day - which has several "relax and pet the dogs" tasks in it. My ear worm for the day seems to be "I will survive". Thanks Gloria Gaynor!
Old 12-24-2011, 06:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning, Ruth! Your party sounds delightful! How many are you expecting? Did I tell you that I *think* I'm getting a Keurig for Christmas? I'll tell you tomorrow.

I'm up early this morning on purpose. I have to get seafood for gumbo and I'm hoping to miss the crowds. Tonight, we are having finger foods. I'm making a muffaletta sandwich on a long french bread. My MIL and her sister are making every kind of dip imaginable. Tomorrow evening, I'm making my famous seafood gumbo. One of the things I'm thankful for is, with my MIL being sick and my BIL just having surgery on his ankle, everything will be at MIL's house. I did not have to clean for company!

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas Eve --- and short lines at the store!

Last edited by Chelby29; 12-24-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

Michelle, last year there were 46 people and six well-behaved dogs! All my food is finger food. Lots of it is hot but I just need to rewarm in the oven or crockpots and I'll be set - spanakopita, empanadas and tiny meat pies. Quite a bit to do this morning - cucumbers get soggy if you stuff them with feta in advance! I just rolled asparagus, cream cheese and smoked salmon into a large ww tortilla to slice into pinwheels at the last minute. I've crossed making more goodies for the baskets OFF the list. Enough already!
Old 12-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Good morning Ruth and Chelby, I'm enjoying my wonderful Keurig coffee right now. I hope you get one tomorrow, Chelby!

We're be having a houseful later this afternoon, with a big family Christmas Eve dinner that somehow always end up turning into an Open House. I don't mind in the least though, as that's what holidays are all about. All I have to do yet is run out to buy some fresh baguettes that I'm going to hollow out and stuff with spinach dip, then slice them into rounds, so that's easy. And I'll wait until right before dinner to toss together a nice Christmas salad.

I wish each and every one of you a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-2011, 07:23 AM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Good Morning!

Ruth, thanks for getting us started! I have to admit as I stuffed the leftover sushi into the fridge the thought crossed my mind that I "could" just not cook today. With the leftover sushi and all the other stuff hanging out here Kirks DD and her BF would probably be very happy. The cooking and prep keeps ME healthy. Thanks, too, for the ear worm! Have fun today!

Chelby, enjoy you day as you prepare your favorite gumbo AND get to take it to MIL's house!

Me, checking in then I'm starting the declutter at the dining room table (where I'm sitting right now). I'm going to put out some cleaning products and make a list for DH: Pledge this, scrub this, vacuum this, wrap this. Hmm...THIS could be fun. I think I'll get away with it since we're entertaining his DD today. She's pregnant so this should be an exciting holiday for them.
Her BF is from Mexico so we're having black beans, brown rice, guacomole and a Mexican Christmas salad. We'll grill tortillas at the table. Pretty darned OP, except for the coconut cake which will be served w/sliced mangoes for dessert.

OK, I did manage to sneak down this morning. I'd better get to organizing while it's quiet down here!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 12-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8"

Hey all,
Just a quick check in to say Merry Xmas and I hope everyone has a great day today and tomorrow. I have to run out and get dessert and wine to bring to my BIL's tomorrow, as well as some last minute little gifts. There is church this afternoon and then dinner with friends.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #7  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

quick stop in too - having a 2-year old around makes for a very busy and very tired Jenn.

Happy holidays! Will check in tomorrow after noon when the in-laws depart.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #8  
Come on Spring!

Wishing eveyrone a good Holiday Evw whether Hanukkah or Christmas or
Solstice plus 3!

I have enough food ready to feed the 8th army and that does not include dessert which Claire is taking care of. The champagne is chilling on the back deck, the punch stuff is chilling and the oven is set to turn to 425 for 8:30. I think I'm all set.

Now to tiddleup and head for Church.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #9  

Merry Christmas, Chickies. Jeff and I have been up for an hour. Auston is still in bed! I remember being a kid and really not sleeping the night before Christmas. I guess the three of us fed off of each others excitement.

I made the most beautiful roux for my seafood gumbo yesterday. We'll have that for dinner around 5.

My MIL asked my FIL to shave her head yesterday, after she found a clump of hair in her sandwich. My Twit-Nephew was sweet when he told her, "You are beautiful even without your hair." Of course, Jeff and I had a Sensitivity-Training talk with both boys, because when we told them what was happening, Auston yelled, "Disgusting!!!"

I hope all of you have a great day with family and friends.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #10  

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I'm starting this Christmas morning off right by listening to a rousing rendition of the Hallellulia Chorus and a mug of coffee with a healthy dose of Bailey's.

It looks like Santa visited sometime during the night, there's presents under the tree!
We're meeting up with my brother and SIL at 9:30 and driving over to my DD's in New Jersey for Christmas Brunch and to spend the morning, then have to get back here in time to prepare dinner for my parents, DS and family, and anyone else who happens to show up.

Chelby, did you get your Keurig? I feel so bad for your dear MIL. It was a very poignant moment when my mother had her head shaved. But it's only hair and it WILL grow back. And a bald head is a small price to pay for having her here to enjoy another Christmas. Give her my love.

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 12-25-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #11  

S/C/G: maintaining

Happy holidays to all! I've been checking in, but busy with family and, yes, in a food coma The celebrations here end Monday night and I can't wait! Yesterday, all day with my in-laws. Today, small Christmas with the boys then house guests overnight; no idea when they are arriving. Tomorrow... (back to the gym with my mom then) our family Hanukkah party. Will for food never end!!!??? My fingers feel like sausages from either a ton of salt going in or not nearly enough water! Sigh.

Happy, merry, whatever you celebrate.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #12  

My FIL bought the present I assumed was a Keurig and we are opening those presents tonight. I stopped by their house yesterday to see if they needed anything from the grocery store. He told me to get 'whole coffee beans'. So, now I'm thinking it may be some kind of coffee grinder. If I don't get a Keurig, I'm going to find one at an after-Christmas-sale.

MIL was tough yesterday. I think she's glad to have it gone. Her sister shed some silent tears. She is scheduled for her second round of Chemo on the 29th. What kind of cancer did your mom have, Linda. Is she okay now?
Old 12-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelby29 View Post
What kind of cancer did your mom have, Linda. Is she okay now?
My mother has lung cancer, but right now it's in remission, praise the good Lord. She's not out of the woods, yet, and has to have a C-scan every 6 weeks. But each day she's with us is a gift.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #14  

I just wanted to wish everyone a happy holiday before I head off to church. (Ruth, I sent you an email).
Old 12-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #15  
Come on Spring!

Good morning and Happy First Day of Christmas. I'm hoping that partridge in a pear tree is a really big one as there will be about 21 for dinner at my son's in-laws' place this afternoon.

My Eve party went well but there must have been about 60 people here and six dogs. There were seven but Oliver the English bulldog stole food and was sent home. One doesn't argue with an English bulldog. When I got home from Church there already were 20 people here so I really had to scurry to get the food and champagne served. Luckily the Pypers were here and all of them helped. (The kids, 17 & 19, have part-time jobs doing catering so ...)

The last guest left about one and the dogs and I turned on the dishwasher and headed for bed. I do have lots of champagne and other things here so come on over! If you come right now, you can help me empty and re-load the dishwasher.

Cottage and Chelby, my heart goes out to you both. Your mothers are very brave ladies. I'm sure you are cherishing this Christmas with them.

Pourthe tea, got the email and no problem. I'll action when I get my techie brain out of Christmas mode. I'm glad we had our Church last night as I sure don't feel like going outside this morning. We are very cold at well below freezing.

OK time for another load in the dishwasher so I can officially start the day with Keurig #2!

Enjoy your day, Chickies!
Closed Thread