Weight Loss Support - Peanut Butter Stress

View Full Version : Peanut Butter Stress

leaningonthelord
12-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Hi everyone! So I had some peanut butter on top of banana slices for a snack, and now I'm totally feeling like I shouldn't have because this peanut butter has 15 grams of fat in 2 tablespoons. I'm pretty sure I didn't go over 2 tablespoons, but still, 15 grams of fat?? That seems like a big number. Am I wrong? Am I freaking out over nothing? I mean, 15 grams!!! :(

sontaikle
12-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Don't freak out!! Peanut butter is actually pretty nutritious! It's high in protein :)

leaningonthelord
12-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Good point! I'm trying not to freak out too much. That's what I told myself when I decided to have it, that it was high in protein...but it's soooo high in fat!!! Maybe it isn't all bad fat...I didn't get that far down the label. I just saw 15 grams of fat and that was it, I hit the floor lol.

ennay
12-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Peanut butter is healthy and satiating. There was actually a study pretty recently that showed people who ate peanut butter tended to eat less overall.

15 g of fat is relative. More and more they are finding that fat is not the evil it was once thought to be either in terms of weight or heart health. In fact LOWFAT might be far more dangerous to your health than high fat. Even saturated fat is being shown to be not as damaging as they thought.

The question is not "should you eat peanut butter?" The question is what would you have eaten if you hadnt eaten peanut butter? Was peanut butter what you wanted? Are you satisfied with what you ate?

Peanut butter is very calorically dense so it is one that is worth measuring until you get a really good feel for what a serving is.

124chicksinger
12-20-2011, 01:50 PM
I had 1 tblsp on oat nut toast and a banana today for breakfast. Don't sweat it. Just because you are on a diet does not mean you should have to exist on fat free, sugar free, broiled only meats and plain veg. A healthy diet incorporates fats into it because your body needs fats to process protein and keep your skin moister and eyes and organs healthy. You didn't eat a jar, you don't eat it every day. You'll be fine.

leaningonthelord
12-20-2011, 01:51 PM
sontaikle, I also have to say you look AWESOME in your pics! What an inspiration! And I totally want your Yoshi shirt! ;)

Munchy
12-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Peanut butter is nutritious and delicious, particularly the unsweetened kind.

There are about 200 calories for 2T of peanut butter. Don't stress over it! It should tide you over longer than the banana would alone. If it doesn't fit into your plan, next time maybe measure out 1T instead.

ArtyKay
12-20-2011, 01:57 PM
A fair amount of that fat is GOOD fat! I wouldn't sweat it.

leaningonthelord
12-20-2011, 02:01 PM
thanks for the encouragement, everyone! ennay you are right, what would I have eaten had I not eaten peanut butter?
And 124chicksinger that is true, it's not like i eat it every day... it's so easy to freak out when you're dieting! And i've only just started really paying attention hard to what i eat. I SOOOO appreciate everyone's comments! :)

leaningonthelord
12-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Thank you Munchy and ArtyKay! You guys are so right. I'm glad you all helped me see the GOOD side of my choices! Too often I just mull over the bad side til I get dragged down. So glad I found this forum :D

ennay
12-20-2011, 02:04 PM
And i've only just started really paying attention hard to what i eat.

Paying attention is 80% of it. Honestly I have never not lost weight when religiously paying attention, even when what I paid attention to was a binge or a party.

kateleestar
12-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Yes, I agree, don't freak out. I'm sure there are plenty of other things that are WAY WORSE for you that you eat, lol... No worries. PB is good! :D

ArtyKay
12-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Thank you Munchy and ArtyKay! You guys are so right. I'm glad you all helped me see the GOOD side of my choices! Too often I just mull over the bad side til I get dragged down. So glad I found this forum :D

It can be hard not to see the bad side. :p

Fat and carbs can be good...I'm trying more and more to eat mostly good fats and good carbs. Then I can feel good about it after eating it and not give myself a guilt trip. :)

stimkovs
12-20-2011, 02:43 PM
honestly? i didn't start having pb issues until about 185 lbs.

and when i say pb, im talking 6-7-8 tbls, it's not an issue!! just enjoy it, its nut fat, it's good for you

berryblondeboys
12-20-2011, 02:56 PM
It makes me so mad that people arer afraid of fat. Mad at the media and they crazy anti fat hype they propagated. We need fat people!! And good fats carry nutrients you can't get elsewhere. Same with avocados. Same with egg yolks. Fat is not bad. Just limit meat fat, but hardly anyone needs to worry about fat from vegetable sources.

I eat 3 tablespoons of PB nearly every day with apples and cinnamon. It's my lunch 90% of the time and I've lost 80 pounds this year and lowered my bp and cholesterol too by eating fat!

baker23
12-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Alot of studies have shown that adding peanut butter to your weightloss plan helps with losing weight. Its very nutritious and very filling after a small amount, so you end up eating less overall thanks to all the fiber and protein. :) I wouldn't worry about eating 2 Tablespoons of the stuff. You should be eating it more regulary is my only advice....

Personally, I can't stand the stuff. It brings back bad memories of soggy pb&j sandwiches in elementry school...xD prob why I don't like jelly either...

leaningonthelord
12-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks again for the input, everyone!
I think one can pay TOO much attention to what they're eating and start to pick every little thing apart until they're just not satisfied with anything, and I realllllllly don't want that to happen!
I know not all fats are bad. And it's true, the fats I do eat could be coming from way worse sources, right??
You ladies have obviously been at this way longer than I have! I appreciate every comment! :)

CherryPie99
12-20-2011, 04:48 PM
FWIW I live on peanut butter!! I think it is one of the better things I eat!

canadianwoman
12-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Peanut butter, in moderate amounts is good for you. Make sure it is the natural kind. No hydrogenated oils or sugars.

leaningonthelord
12-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the replies ladies! I will try to buy some healthier peanut butter. I did buy the reduced fat jif once and it was pretty good. But then i bought the regular kind because it was cheaper :P

rainydays
12-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Yep, I eat pb almost daily and have lost over 80 pounds. It's a great food!

canadianwoman
12-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the replies ladies! I will try to buy some healthier peanut butter. I did buy the reduced fat jif once and it was pretty good. But then i bought the regular kind because it was cheaper :P

Skip the reduced fat stuff. They add sugar to it to replace the fat they took out. What you want is the all natural kind. No other ingredients other than peanuts and perhaps salt if you cannot find an only peanuts version. The one I buy is just peanuts.

ArtyKay
12-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Its worth the extra money to get the natural stuff...especially if you're only eating a tablespoon or two at a time.

Also..almond butter, cashew butter...mmmmmmm

Chubbykins
12-21-2011, 10:42 AM
You NEED fat in your diet.

Just consider peanut butter to belong to the class of fats like olive oil and margarine when it comes to your calorie counting and planning.
A healthy woman should eat about 60gr of fat a day and most of those should be healthy fats.

The body cannot build fatty acids on its own and lack of those damages the heart in particular and other organs.

There must be a ballance in everything food related, no extremes.

leaningonthelord
12-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks so much guys- I was oblivious to the amount of good fats you should have every day, but now I'm getting an idea of it.
ArtyKay mentioned cashew butter and almond butter...do they taste as good as peanut butter? What about that Nutella stuff? They have a chocolate kind I've been thinking about trying...

indiblue
12-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Everyone is right on target. I just want to add that I would NOT measure my PB, I would weigh it. Since it is SO calorie-dense, it's quite easy to eat way more than 2 tbs, even with measuring.

Check out this very short demonstration to see how: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

ArtyKay
12-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Almond butter tastes like almonds. :) If you like almonds, you'll like it. Cashew butter is a bit milder (I prefer almond butter, I like the stronger taste.).

I love nutella...Only thing about nutella is that there is a ton of sugar and saturated fat. Not necessarily horrible for you, but I would definitely steer more towards the natural nut butters that are primarily nuts and not a bunch of added sugars and oils and salt.

I LOVE nuts and seeds of all kinds, mmmmmm...perfect snack.

ETA: There IS a natural hazelnut butter...I haven't tried it, but I want to. If its the chocolate hazelnut flavor you want, it might be better to buy some hazelnut butter without all the added junk and just make your own chocolate version with it.

Arctic Mama
12-21-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm right there with berryblondeboys, it makes me so mad that fat gets demonized. So much health damage is done by a low fat diet, given what ingredients have been used to replace fat in foods. It is essential for good health, plays a huge role in satiety, and is one of the nutritional substances that I cannot believe gets such a bad wrap.

Please do some reading here to put your mind at ease:
http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/skinny-on-fats

leaningonthelord
12-21-2011, 12:30 PM
ArtyKay thanks for the info on all the different butters! When we go shopping tomorrow I will check some different ones out and I'll pay special attention to the sugar/sugar substitute content. I'm not a big nut fan unless they're baked into something.

Munchy
12-21-2011, 12:35 PM
At pretty much every grocery store you should be able to find natural peanut butter. Even smuckers (http://www.google.com/imgres?q=smuckers+natural+peanut+butter&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1015&bih=563&tbm=isch&tbnid=BvavLSgNsHkwrM:&imgrefurl=http://www.chitowncheapskate.com/2010/11/free-smuckers-natural-peanut-butter-recipe-book.html&docid=H2Xpi1orBOGpJM&imgurl=http://www.chitowncheapskate.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/smuckers_natural_pb.jpg&w=280&h=280&ei=hxjyTqPXCubz0gHR1aBT&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=110&vpy=192&dur=2988&hovh=224&hovw=224&tx=119&ty=123&sig=111443629051878362447&page=1&tbnh=163&tbnw=163&start=0&ndsp=9&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0) makes one.

I buy mine from Trader Joe's because it's relatively inexpensive. If you look at the ingredients, it should only list peanuts or peanuts and salt.

ennay
12-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Nutella is not good for you. No matter how much the commercials try to convince you it is. It is the equivalent of taking 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and adding 1.75 tablespoons of sugar and somehow making that fit in 2 Tablespoons. It is also crack in a jar. It should be treated the way you would treat a candy bar.

I love zinke orchards almond butter. I hate all other almond butters. Zinke tastes like almonds. Maranatha and Kettle(? - the other major brand of alternate butters) and most others taste like burned almonds.

doopdoop
12-21-2011, 12:50 PM
There's nothing wrong with eating fat as long as you count the calories!

canadianwoman
12-21-2011, 12:55 PM
There's nothing wrong with eating fat as long as you count the calories!

And it depends on the type of fat too. :)

leaningonthelord
12-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Nutella is not good for you. No matter how much the commercials try to convince you it is. It is the equivalent of taking 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and adding 1.75 tablespoons of sugar and somehow making that fit in 2 Tablespoons. It is also crack in a jar. It should be treated the way you would treat a candy bar.

I love zinke orchards almond butter. I hate all other almond butters. Zinke tastes like almonds. Maranatha and Kettle(? - the other major brand of alternate butters) and most others taste like burned almonds.

I will keep that brand in mind when I go to the store. I've never tried anything other than peanut butter. I'll definitely stay away from those brands. I wouldn't want one bad experience with almond butter keep me from trying a yummy brand, know what I mean?
Munchy we don't have a Trader Joe's around here. I do get a family discount at an organic foods store so maybe I'll find some good peanut butter there and use my discount :)

leaningonthelord
12-21-2011, 01:15 PM
And it depends on the type of fat too. :)
Yes it does! And I'm happy to say I enjoyed my burrito I had for lunch. Guilt-free! I didn't freak out over the fat content. There wasn't a whole lot of saturated fat. I mostly focused on the fact that I was getting a good amount of protein :) :carrot:

canadianwoman
12-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Yes it does! And I'm happy to say I enjoyed my burrito I had for lunch. Guilt-free! I didn't freak out over the fat content. There wasn't a whole lot of saturated fat. I mostly focused on the fact that I was getting a good amount of protein :) :carrot:

Saturated fat is not bad for us either. In fact, the outer structure of all of our body's individual cells are made up of saturated fat. It is necesary for life.

Glad you enjoyed your lunch. I'm having a Subway wrap myself a little later. :)

leaningonthelord
12-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Saturated fat is not bad for us either. In fact, the outer structure of all of our body's individual cells are made up of saturated fat. It is necesary for life.

I have started eating a six inch turkey on the honey-oat bread at Subway :) I can't believe I used to eat TWO footlong chicken bacon and ranch subs in one sitting!!!
I never knew that about saturated fat. Amazing!

MeganTheMushroom
12-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Some people have found great success with weight loss on a high (HEALTHY) fat diet, of course, a diet like this should not be sustained for long as it can lead to pancreatic problems.
It's okay to eat a lot of fat every now and then. In fact, the FDA's standards of a high fat diet are anything over 30% daily calorie intake. So, if you eat 1800 calories a day, then that would be about 65 grams of fat a day. Many people consider 10% to be more appropriate though, but I typically eat what makes me feel good.
I never pay attention to macronutrients, although I am trying to stick to a high-carb diet (I will admit, though, peanut butter makes this hard!!). :)

Chubbykins
12-21-2011, 04:15 PM

We do not digest fat particles as a whole because they are too large to pass through the cells of the intestine. That is why cholic salts pick up broken up fats and small fatty acids derived from large fat particles and transfer them into the blood stream.

Saturated fat breaks up slower and the parts we absorb linger in the blood stream for longer. Pieces of unsaturated fat get absorbed from the blood stream faster and can form any type of fat when placed correctly in the right amount.

So no, we don't absorb the fat and immediately use it as it was. The body breaks it up and plays lego. Unsaturated fat is therefore healthier. Of course than doesn't mean saturated fat is the devil it is made out to be, it is just slightly more dangerous for those with circulatory or hormonal problems.

Esofia
12-21-2011, 04:38 PM
The only good reason to panic would be if you had a medical reason for being on a very low-fat diet, such as active gallstones where eating too much fat at once sitting can cause an agonisingly painful gallstone attack. Otherwise, there are lots of different ways you can balance out your diet, so feel free to try out several and see what works for you.

A lot of people here are on high-fat, high-protein diets, so you'll find a lot of support for them and a lot of people who swear by them. According to Thin for Life (and right now my copy is with a friend so I can't check the reference), the vast majority of successful maintainers are on low-fat diets. I think the figures were from the National Weight Loss Registry? Anyway, there's support for both, so go with whatever works for you. You can always change your diet later if need be, after all.

loose seal
12-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Fat helps satiate your hunger; it takes longer for the body to process it and when eaten w/good carbs/proteins I find it helps keep me fuller, longer.

I wouldn't consider eating an apple without peanut butter. For some weird reason apples almost always make me hungry but if I pair it with peanut butter, not nearly as much. Also love the banana w/the peanut butter. I don't use much . . . a schmear that I count as 100 cals so for 200 cals, yum! what a great snack.

I'm loving Smuckers Natural peanut butter with honey. Yeah I think there's some sugar it in too but . . . it is quite tasty. I like the texture too.

leaningonthelord
12-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Wow I'm so appreciative of all the comments :)
I picked up some Jif Natural peanut butter. It only has a little bit of sugar in it.
looseseal i am with you, the peanut butter really helps give me a fuller feeling when I eat it along with apples or bananas.
Esofia maybe I can find that book at the library!
All of you folks who have left comments are AWESOME! I appreciate your help and thoughtfullness :) You have all inspired me to learn about fats and sugars and how they affect our bodies.