General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-16-2011, 01:06 AM   #1  
live ur life

S/C/G: 236/230/150

Height: 5'8

Default how realistic is 'I used to be fat' on MTV

Can you really lose 90-100 pounds in 100 days? The show just seems to be just giving unrealistic expectations or ideas. Any thoughts?
caliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

lol 100lbs in 100 days, can you say sharpei
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:51 AM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

I agree. Completely unrealistic. At the rate most doctors recommend, someone would lose a little under 30 lb. Of course some people safely and healthily lose more (especially if their starting weight is quite high), but I can't imagine a doctor advocating that kind of loss except in very extreme circumstances (which don't seem to be the case on the show).

I suspect the actual timeline is MUCH longer and they're calling it 100 days to make it seem more "inspirational" (aka tv-worthy).
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Height: 5'3"

I've never seen the show, but its totally not realistic in most situations.

I agree, they're just trying to sensationalize weight loss to get people to watch the show. I mean...who would want to watch somebody lose 100 lbs over a year...or many years? You know...the HEALTHY WAY???

I hope that the people who watch this show are aware of how unrealistic and unhealthy that much rapid weight loss can be, and that they don't seriously expect that of themselves.
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Possible? Yes. Realistic? No.

I've heard about the show but haven't watched it. I'm guessing they do a "Biggest Loser" type deal where they devote the entire 100 days to weight loss? If you workout 5 hours a day and eat very little you're going to lose. It's just not healthy or realistic for the average person.

Rapid weight loss causes health problems. If any of you watched Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition then some of those participants had health issues (I know of 3 that did. Others might have had and we don't know) because they frequently lost 100 pounds in a 3 month period of time and kept going at a similar pace for a year.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:33 AM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Short of a medical supervised VLCD? I don't think it is very plausible. Not impossible, certainly, but far beyond what most people are willing to do or can do, depending on their bodies.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:37 AM   #7  

Speaking of rapid publicized weight loss...has anybody watched the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"? I watched it a while back on netflix, and I liked it, but it seemed sooooo unrealistic and unmaintainable to me.

For those who haven't watched it, its about this guy who was on several medications for various reasons and he lost a similar amount of weight, weaned himself off the meds, and is now healthy all due to an extended juice fast, and now does shorter juice fasts frequently as a "reboost." He traveled the country while doing this and "spread the gospel".

The main thing is...he wasn't working while he did this. His whole life for the entirety of the juice fast (I wanna say it was 60 days??) was dedicated to drinking juice and exercising.

I just don't like all these quick fix fad solutions.

I think people just want that....a quick fix. A lot of them don't realize that its super hard to maintain it when you lose it that fast.

Last edited by ArtyKay; 12-17-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

ArtyKay: I know, who really has time and money for that??? I have a juicer - downstairs, in the basement. Do you know how much time it takes to clean that sucker after each juicing?? And buying the loads and loads of fresh fruit and veggies on a daily basis? And then exercising and filming the rest of the day.

That is a full-time job in itself. I guess it paid off for him, in the end, if he is in Netflix's collection.

From what I've seen of the biggest loser over the years, is that the delicate mental issues that are also a part of weight loss, that must be dealt with, are totally neglected in the process of super fast weight loss.

Most importantly, no one is taught patience or moderation. I can remember several interviews with ex-biggest losers that basically had a melt down after the experience - I suppose it doesn't help that everyone is watching your final move, waiting for you to gain once the show is over.

On a side note, one time I heard that harmful toxins are stored in the fat. So, if one loses fat too quickly, the blood becomes more toxic - making one feel bad. I've just heard this, I have no idea of it is correct.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:11 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unna View Post
ArtyKay: I know, who really has time and money for that??? I have a juicer - downstairs, in the basement. Do you know how much time it takes to clean that sucker after each juicing?? And buying the loads and loads of fresh fruit and veggies on a daily basis? And then exercising and filming the rest of the day.
Seriously. I just don't have the time, money, or energy to do something so extreme. And i know I'd cave in and buy a cheeseburger around day 2 or so.

Quote:
On a side note, one time I heard that harmful toxins are stored in the fat. So, if one loses fat too quickly, the blood becomes more toxic - making one feel bad. I've just heard this, I have no idea of it is correct.
Every fasting method does this. There's always a period at the begining of feelign sick, tired, face breaking out, and liquid poo (eww...sorry.) when you're fasting or doing something else extreme. Most people say that its toxins leaving your body, and put a positive spin on it...but I never thought about the blood becoming toxic!

Last edited by ArtyKay; 12-17-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:19 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

I'm not a biologist, and I don't even really remember the biology class, and I'm too lazy to look it up - but I would bet the substance in the fat-cells eventually has to enter the blood to then be absorbed and discharged by the liver and/or kidney.

You brought up another good point - caving and buying cheeseburgers! Do you think he is really going to film all the times he caved and ate things other than his juice??? No Way!
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:29 AM   #11  

Quote:
.Fasting might prevent the ingestion of toxins, but it does not promote the removal of toxins from the body; your MD is correct.

The liver's role in detoxification of drugs, etc., is a complex one. It is achieved through a complex system of enzymes that metabolize chemicals so that they can be excreted in the feces or urine. These functions do not depend on one's fasting status (within reason -- prolonged starvation impairs liver function).

Fasting does nothing. It's not fasting that removes toxins from your body, it's the body that does all the removing through the liver, the kidneys, the skin, and any other way you can think of. When a person is fasting, because there are no toxins entering the body, it allows the body to work on removing toxins that have been stored in it for long periods of time, instead of trying to keep up with all the toxins people keep stuffing in themselves.

If you eat correctly your body doesn't need to "keep up with all the toxins people keep stuffing in themselves" and then such cleansing fasts are not necessary. The body is only over-worked and over-taxed in this regard if your diet is truly horrible, but if this is the case, you are unlikely to be the sort of person who would consider a cleansing fast anyway, right? MDs say these kinds of things because it makes more sense to correct your diet and eat properly than it does to keep eating crap and then to go on regular fasts to cleanse yourself. This is hardly foolhardy advice, is it?

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/MDs_say_fasting_does_not_remove_toxins_but_doesn't _the_liver_excrete_toxins_into_the_feces#ixzz1gmZb zPz4
Cool! I did NOT know this!

Know what? I think that people feel like crap because they're having sugar/carb/soda withdrawals in addition to not eating proper meals....not because their body is flushing toxins.

EDIT- I hijacked your thread, I'm SO sorry!!! I feel bad.

Last edited by ArtyKay; 12-17-2011 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #12  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

many people on that show end up losing only
60 - 70 lbs in the 100 days, which is still a
great majority of weight to lose in such short time.

you also have to understand that the people
on the show are working out 4 - 6 hours
a day with a personal trainer and are under
VERY strict diets. it's possible but not recommended.

Last edited by Ciao; 12-17-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 457/see sig/200(or size18)

Height: 5ft9

If it was easy to loose that much weight that fast I think everyone would be doing it. Because quite frankly didn't most of us take the easy route which got us into this fatty mess to begin with. That rate of weight loss would give the feeling of having done something at every weigh in, however once the weight got lower it would not be healthy to loose that percentage of your body weight. I read somewhere 5% per month is acceptable. Which someone starting at 200lbs would loose aprox. 30 lbs in 100 days where someone who is say 400lbs would loose aprox. 60lbs in 100 days if they followed the 5% a month guideline.

I have seem a few episodes and the seniors in High School are loosing the weight the summer before going to college so they can start at college a new person. I do not know how much they are working out a day or how restricted their diets are, but from my point of view the "kids" who are on are chunky, so when they loose 70lbs they look like a thin kid. One episode you could tell the boy was having major issues with extra skin because of the weight loss. I wonder how those "kids" have adjusted and if they faired well.
qtkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 457/see sig/200(or size18)

Height: 5ft9

The doctor I spoke with about weight loss said that hormones and chemicals can be trapped in the fat like testosterone. Which was one of the reasons she said that I do not get my period on a regular basis. I really am thinking she ment Estrogen *lol* least I hope unless she knows something about me I do not *rotfl*
qtkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtkitty View Post
The doctor I spoke with about weight loss said that hormones and chemicals can be trapped in the fat like testosterone. Which was one of the reasons she said that I do not get my period on a regular basis. I really am thinking she ment Estrogen *lol* least I hope unless she knows something about me I do not *rotfl*
Now you know that women do have testosterone in their bodies. Just not as much as men have. (Men have estrogen in their bodies too.)
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote