Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 12-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Just found out I'm pregnant = overwhelmed

Hi all.

I just took a pregnancy test today and it came back positive. I'm really shocked and wasn't planning this at all. I'm a junior in college and a theater major. (In fact, I have two shows in the next three months that I have to do and one is quite active.) My boyfriend of three years and I are contemplating adoption, but for now, I really don't know what to do.

The nurse said I'm probably 5-6 weeks, which sounds right. Now I need support and lots of advice. I have been intensely working out since September and lost 15 lbs (eating around 1500 calories and using Jillian Michaels DVDs). What should I change right now?

I am also upset because I have struggled with eating disorders and am terrified of pregnancy. I don't want to gain weight, I want to lose weight. I do know there is a chance of miscarriage so I'd rather not tell everyone at school. That's why asking questions online is perfect for me.

I really need support, advice and stories right now. Thanks, everyone.
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Wow, you must be shocked. Congratulations. I am a mom - my son is 18 months old. Since you are discussing adoption, I assume you are planning to go through with the pregnancy? Adoption, IMO, is an act of love - a woman must truly love a baby to go through with a pregnancy and to give that baby to a family. If that is what you feel is best for the baby then we will certainly be here to support you through it!

As for raising the baby yourself, that is really for you to decide - if you are 5 or 6 weeks along, then you have a lot of time to decide. When you are pregnant, you should be eating at maintenance, not for weight loss unless a doctor instructs otherwise. You can still work out unless advised otherwise- I actually did weights until 41 weeks with my first pregnancy (and nothing with my 2nd, it was high risk and I lost it anyways).

The weight gain, yes, I admit is the hardest part for some women. Being honest with the nurse/doctor about your history is the best path, perhaps they can refer you to a prenatal nutritionist. Being a mother however does NOT mean you will gain *and* KEEP the weight, no! Is it harder? I admit.. yes, it is. But nursing and less social outings do help. You can read my goal photo thread if you want
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal...st-partum.html

Good luck to you. I am considering adoption too - but as the adoptive mother, not the birth mother. As a mom myself (my son is biologically mine), I know that giving the baby to the best family it is the greatest act a woman can do.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #3  
Ready...Set....GO!

S/C/G: 132/120/110

Height: 4'11"

bless your heart. What a hard spot to be put into.

I've had 1 baby (my daughter is 21 months), and seeing the scale go up is absolutely a hard thing to have to deal with. You've just got to remind yourself that you NEED to gain weight when you're pregnant. But also remember that it is NOT an excuse to eat whatever you want whenever you want-haha. I agree with the PP, I worked out through my pregnancy and never had issues. However, I also had HG and lost 20+lbs in my first trimester (but that only happens to 3% of women...so don't worry).

I totally admire you for considering adoption. I also agree with the PP that is is an act of great love and sacrifice!! We are absolutely here to support you!!!!
Emerald Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #4  

Thank you both. It means quite a lot.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 249.2/on hold/166

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations. I understand how shocking a surprise pregnancy can be and the whole weight gain thing. I am actually pregnant now with my surprise baby but am much older 37 and married so totally different circumstances but it was still a shock and I have to say my first emotion wasn't happiness (however now it is)

I too was in the process of losing weight and was down 45 lbs from my highest weight and the longest I have ever stuck to a healthy eating plan (7 mons) I was and still am dealing with the upset of gaining weight again but my goal is to stay on a healthy eating plan of maintenance calories and to exercise regularly and to try to keep my total weight gain to about 15-20 pounds. The first trimester was really had for me as I had all day sickness and huge fatigue so I found it really hard to exercise and had huge food aversions to any kind of vegetable to the point of being unable to keep them down. I am just now starting to be able to eat some veg occasionally. Anyway I lost weight in my first trimester (I always do, this is my third pregnancy past 7.5 wks) I do expect to start gaining over the next few months but hopefully keep within my goal.

You should come and join the Spring/Summer 2012 mamas group it is really supportive and we have another mama in the group who is considering adoption. I agree about adoption being an act of great love, one of my BF went through adoption 15 years ago and I was with her the whole time, was even at the baby's birth and the first meeting of the adoptive parents. There was a whole lotta love going on for that little baby.
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #6  

I don't know if anyone will see this but I'd rather post my question on my old thread than make a new one. I'm about 8 weeks along now and morning sickness has been miserable. I'm trying to eat what I can (crackers, bland foods, V8 juice, ensure drinks because it's hard to keep anything down).

I'm worried, though, because I'll still be in school starting next week. And the last thing I feel like doing is going to classes! But I must, and I will. I know lots of women work while pregnant. What advice can anyone give me on how to make it thru a busy day while sick? Thank you!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/138/125

racrane, I actually placed a baby for adoption when I was 19. I've been there.

Regarding morning sickness: I used to go ahead and puke. Even if it was just heavy nausea and I could avoid puking, I wouldn't. Something about the act of vomiting greatly abated the nausea for the rest of the day. My sickness ended around 14 weeks during both pregnancies that I had it, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.
jeminijad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by racrane View Post
I don't know if anyone will see this but I'd rather post my question on my old thread than make a new one. I'm about 8 weeks along now and morning sickness has been miserable. I'm trying to eat what I can (crackers, bland foods, V8 juice, ensure drinks because it's hard to keep anything down).

I'm worried, though, because I'll still be in school starting next week. And the last thing I feel like doing is going to classes! But I must, and I will. I know lots of women work while pregnant. What advice can anyone give me on how to make it thru a busy day while sick? Thank you!
I was at your exact gestation when I started the new semester. There's not much you can do but I found this helped:
- puke! (it DOES help, like when you've had too much to drink haha)
- cafeteria pizza. I would get up, leave class, eat a slice, and go back to class. It's okay!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #9  

I had success with the seasickness bracelets. You can find them at the pharmacy
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

I know the shock/awe of a surprise pregnancy...You are handling this much better than I did You have some big decisions ahead but you don't have to make them all now. My prayer is that God will lead you to what is best for your life.

On the nausea...Have you tried preggy pops? If you go to a good maternity store (a good pharmacy may have one), they have these lollipops that some say really help with nausea. I've heard of women who swear by them. The good thing is that nausea gets better closer to 12 weeks. Smile beautiful....you're almost there
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #11  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

If your morning sickness is debilitating, then your doctor can prescribe Zofran (and quite possibly other meds., it's been 6 years since my last pregnancy) for it. I had to take it while pregnant with my 4th son and it did help; I was sick morning, noon, and night until I got on medication.

Good luck to you!
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #12  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

Ginger helped me a lot. Ginger tea(check the other ingredients - some of them contain licorice root which can raise blood pressure) or chewy ginger candies.

I always carried some pretzels and saltines with me too. Don't worry about nutrition too much -at this stage - eat what you feel up to and stay hydrated. I remember walking around the grocery store one night feeling miserable - I was hungry but couldn't think of one food that didn't make me feel nauseous. And then it hit me - raspberry sorbet! I ate the whole pint.

For most women the nausea passes in the second semester and your energy should come back. I was actually much more tired in my first semester than in my third.

Good luck!
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #13  

Thank you, everyone! I'll try some of those tips. I dropped out of one class yesterday so I'd have a lighter load (15 credits instead of 18). I kind of feel guilty about it, but honestly, I need the extra hours to sleep. Anyway, I'll have to try the things you guys suggested. Thank you.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 249.2/on hold/166

Height: 5'5"

Nibbling throughout the day on stuff that settled my stomach really helped, especially when I was at work. I would pack my snack bag with bran muffins, salt and vinegar chips, milk, apples, etc and just have a nibble when ever I felt queasy. Also my midwife suggested taking a b-complex supplement and that seem to help with the actual vomiting. I had MS till 16 wks with my DS and with this baby.
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #15  
Ready...Set....GO!

S/C/G: 132/120/110

Height: 4'11"

it sounds weird...but carry lemons around with you. Even just the smell of them helped me, and sucking on them would ease my sickness.

I had Hyperemesis Gravidarium, so....the only thing that really "helped" me was having home health hook me up to fluids 2 times a day for about 2 months...

but before it got that bad, and after I got over the horrible part...lemons helped a lot.. That and peppermints (gum, tea, single mints etc...)

good luck, lovely!!
Emerald Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote