Weight Loss Support - When did you start "dieting?"

View Full Version : When did you start "dieting?"

ArtyKay
12-14-2011, 03:43 AM
And when did you stop?
I've been yoyo dieting literally almost my entire life.

The earliest I can remember, is when I was about 7 or 8. I'm serious. I remember for a while purposely cutting everything on my plate in half, and only eating one half of it. The rest I wouldn't allow myself to eat. I wasn't overweight at all...I was actually a very skinny child due to very enlarged tonsils and being very active.

Anyway, I've done a lot of crazy diets in my life. I starved myself for a while, I chewed and spit for a short period of time (ew.). I've done low carb, eaten only fruits and veggies, eaten only salads 7 days a week, drank apple cider vinegar with every meal, juice fast, one big meal a day only, special K, slimfast, diet pills, calorie counting, coffee and cigarette diet....

So this is the first time in my life that I've actually counted calories consistently. And this is the first time in my life I've realized that I'm going to have to do it for the rest of my life. I can't diet my way out of obesity, and then go back to "normal" once I've lost the weight. :rolleyes:

It took me almost a decade or two to get it, but at 23 I've finally got it through my thick skull. :yay: I'm never going to diet again.

sontaikle
12-14-2011, 06:39 AM
I grew up overweight and I remember crying myself to sleep at night in elementary school wishing I would just be thin like the other girls. It was hard because there were a lot of bullies in my grade :(

There were two times I tried "dieting" but not real serious or anything. My first attempt was when I was 12. I tried not eating for a day. I don't know why I did this, but my parents saw right through it and made something I couldn't refuse for dinner (LOL they knew me too well) and that was done. Just one day haha!

The next attempt was the summer into 8th grade. I was wearing a size 16 and I thought if I exercised all the time that I would lose weight. I rode my bike for an hour every day and I managed to get into a size 14 by the end of the summer (which, trying those clothes on now was the equivalent of a 10/12). Looking at pictures of me back then I actually looked pretty "normal" but I still thought I was fat.

In high school I gained a lot of weight and went up to a size 18. I don't know how much I weighed back then (likely higher than my starting weight here) but I didn't try dieting or anything.

This is my first "real" attempt at dieting and I'm glad I found calorie counting. Thing is, during high school and college I learned that I didn't need to be thin to be happy. I loved myself and that really helped me start losing weight.

Satellites
12-14-2011, 07:53 AM
i first remember thinking about my weight and comparing my body size to other girls at around 10. by 12 i was purposely eating less and trying to lose weight, mainly by restricting most days with some days of not eating at all. by 14 i was obsessed with my weight, actively googling info for "zero" calorie foods and restricting heavily and exercising a lot. by 16 i had started making myself throw up every now and then and by 17 i had developed a fully fledged eating disorder which reigned supreme until i turned 22 and started therapy...

only now am i more aware of my eating issues (i have now been diagnosed and have been in therapy for about 2 years) and am actively trying not to let it control my life. it is extremely hard not to fall into old habits and whilst i am not a slave to it, i know i still lapse. still, this is my first time actually properly trying to lose weight without all the bad stuff and i'm doing reasonably well so far, i'm quite proud of myself (not so much for weight loss but for not letting the 'disorder' totally take over!)

Munchy
12-14-2011, 09:54 AM
I started at 11 and never stopped (aside from pregnancy when I didn't weigh/count anything) and I'm still doing it 18 years later.

Esofia
12-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Eight months ago. I'm a first-time dieter, and it's working out well for me, so "diet" isn't a dirty word for me. I'll stop when I transfer into maintenance, which isn't too far away now. I grew up with a mother who had very unhealthy attitudes towards weight, and who showed me by example that crash dieting and guilt-based approaches are extremely bad ideas, so I always avoided those.

Unna
12-14-2011, 09:58 AM
My Mom is a serial yo-yo dieter. I'm pretty sure she was dieting when I was conceived - does that count?? Do I win?

ArtyKay
12-14-2011, 10:07 AM
My Mom is a serial yo-yo dieter. I'm pretty sure she was dieting when I was conceived - does that count?? Do I win?

You made me :rofl: You win!!!

ShanIAm
12-14-2011, 10:13 AM
I first remember dieting a few months before I got married but they were definitely vanity pounds as I was 125 lbs and wanted to be 115. After I got married my husband and I ate a LOT of fast food. I rarely cooked. We lived it up! I gained a lot of weight and I started the cabbage soup diet. It was all the rage in the early 90's. I was miserable, my husband was miserable and our small apartment stunk ALL THE TIME. Then I embarked on the following:

1) The infidelity/divorce diet - i.e.; starving myself
2) The intro to AOL and chat rooms - i.e.; too enthralled/addicted to remember to eat
3) Weight Watchers - worked great but didn't stick to it
4) The break up diet - dumped a great guy to become miserable and not eat
5) Slimfast
6) Atkins

It was only last year did I hit my highest weight ever and in January I started my journey, not a diet. Like you it just finally clicked! So now I am low calorie, lower carb and exercising. Although I still struggle some days and I have gained a few pounds back lately I know in my heart that I will never again go back to where I was. This has FINALLY become a way of life. :D

berryblondeboys
12-14-2011, 10:30 AM
This is only my second foray into dieting... Or better but, caring about what I put into my body. First time I did weight watchers and exercise. I've tried to add exercise a couple other times too, but I always dropped it. This is the first time I mean business, I count calories, I watch my simple carbs intake (blood sugar issues I can control with diet alone) and I excise regularly. And I know I will continue with this for the rest of my life. There is no ending these methods. Took me until I was 41 to figure it out. Been going strong for almost a year and I feel better than I have in eons. The careless food fest made me feel like crap. I don't want to feel like that again.

djs06
12-14-2011, 10:39 AM
I can remember reading calorie labels at the snack bar at the community pool by the time I was in 3rd grade or so... but the first time I actually dieted was when I was 13. I ate the same thing every day (english muffin with jam, rice cakes, soup, and a small plate of whatever my mom made for dinner), lost 40 pounds and would cry if I "gave in" and went over 1000 calories, or if I ate anything but soup or salad if we went out to dinner. This went on for about 2 years, I think, and then I just gradually gained and gained through high school and college, and my life has been a diet again probably since 16 or so (27 now, so 11 years, I'd say about 1/3 of each year has been actively dieting)

QuilterInVA
12-14-2011, 10:46 AM
I've lost over 200 pounds and maintained it for 30+ years and I've never been on a diet. I do Weight Watchers and it has taught me that diets never work but making lifestyle changes leads to weight loss and maintenance.

MusicalAstronaut
12-14-2011, 11:03 AM
I didn't seriously start dieting until May 1st of this year. I've never yo-yo dieted before and hopefully this isn't the start of it. :/ Though in the past 2 years I've sort of been easing myself into a diet. It started with buying less snack food so I didn't have them around the apartment, then I cut down on ordering takeout (college...haha), then I cut out midnight runs for candy (a horrible habit to have). I lost about 6lbs in a year which isn't a lot, but it's the first time in my life I went down in weight instead of up. That's what sort of told me I could do this for real, so I tried it. :)

stimkovs
12-14-2011, 11:03 AM
I've never dieted.
I have always had a large body size, I have always been bigger, I have always been told to lose weight, my mother used to try to put me on diets as a child, but I never "dieted".

I am not "dieting" right now- I am living a lifestyle that I love, being consious that my body is not a waste basket.

Esofia
12-14-2011, 11:05 AM
I've just realised that I'm happy to think of myself as "dieting", but not "on a diet". The latter implies something too fixed, and has more of those negative crash diet connotations. Odd.

Munchy
12-14-2011, 11:09 AM
I've just realised that I'm happy to think of myself as "dieting", but not "on a diet". The latter implies something too fixed, and has more of those negative crash diet connotations. Odd.

I'm the same way. I don't care about the semantics of it because there is absolutely no end date for me and there hasn't been for almost 20 years. I have finally settled on a great plan that is neither under- nor over-eating and I feel great.

To me, "diet" implies I'm eating mindfully and doesn't connote a stop date.

Beach Patrol
12-14-2011, 11:44 AM
And when did you stop?
I've been yoyo dieting literally almost my entire life.

[this section deleted by Beach Patrol]

...I've done a lot of crazy diets in my life. I starved myself for a while, I chewed and spit for a short period of time (ew.). I've done low carb, eaten only fruits and veggies, eaten only salads 7 days a week, drank apple cider vinegar with every meal, juice fast, one big meal a day only, special K, slimfast, diet pills, calorie counting, coffee and cigarette diet....

So this is the first time in my life that I've actually counted calories consistently. And this is the first time in my life I've realized that I'm going to have to do it for the rest of my life. I can't diet my way out of obesity, and then go back to "normal" once I've lost the weight. :rolleyes:

It took me almost a decade or two to get it, but at 23 I've finally got it through my thick skull. :yay: I'm never going to diet again.

Wow. I could have written this! (except for the coffee/cigarette diet part) -and that "apple cider vinegar" thing - OMG, I used to drink a HUGE cup of that driving to class every morning when I was in college - oh, some of the crazy crap I've done in order to "lose a few pounds"... and some even crazier stuff in order to lose "a bunch of pounds".... :dizzy:

I'm glad I"m sane now, & doing it THE RIGHT WAY, and yes, I too will NEVER "diet" again.

lm3898
12-14-2011, 01:01 PM
6th grade was the first time I tried and failed pretty miserably. In the summer between 8th grade and high school I started running and dropped a lot of weight, people really saw a difference. When I got to high school I joined the track team and maintained, freshman year I was obsessed with dieting and the scale...I would stay home some days from school so I could monitor my eating habits...the next three years were ok, not huge, maybe a 14 at the worst and a 10 at the best. College was another yo-yo of dieting b/w 10 and 14 sizes. I've never been bigger than a 14/16 [18/20 in bridesmaid/wedding sizes] and about 7 months ago was when I really took back my life. I have ulcerative colitis and I owe it to myself to eat in a healthy [not crazy yo-yo diet lifestyle] and work out. I would like to drop another size [the equivalent to about 10 lbs if I still went by the scale - which i DON'T] but I'm happy. I can run 2 - 3 miles, workout for an hour or more. I understand nutrition, I know I can cheat and get back on without beating myself up - I'm getting happy in my skin...FINALLY!!!

Mimzzy
12-14-2011, 01:11 PM
I remember staring at myself in the mirror and grabbing the extra fat on my stomach when I was 10-11. I remember crying myself to sleep every night because I felt huge. When I was 12 the yo-yo dieting really took off since I had more control over what I ate and what I put into my school lunches. I would eat a small bowl of cereal for breakfast, take nothing to school for lunch and come home and eat a measly dinner. Then late at night, I would pig out because I was so hungry.

Looking back on it, it was pretty ridiculous. I wasn't even fat or over weight at the time, I just thought I was.

ItsMyTurn
12-14-2011, 02:33 PM
First time... that's a LONG time ago, :lol: When in grade school, my father used to ride me about my weight, as well as my aunt (his twin sister) - my mother kept trying to get him to stop and said I was beautiful. Unfortunately eating disorders run rampant with the females around me, so was easy to learn at a very young age... hide, binge on what you want, go to the bathroom and make sure you get rid of it. Honestly though, that got real old real fast...didn't taste as good that way, so just decided to get super active. I was active into sports anyway, but time to pump it up. I was in 6th grade, 5'2.5 and weighed 135. I started jogging late nights (is the only time I have available due to being so busy with activities). Mom didn't allow me to, said too dangerous... but she worked shift work and when she was on nights, dad fully encouraged anything to help me get the weight off, so at 1am... jogging I would go. In 8th grade I quit basketball... there was much turmoil in the house from it and my father was not speaking to me unless in a derogatory manner.. on goes the weight out of emotional comfort food. Again, God love her, mom still thought I was beautiful. Freshman in high school, my father told me it was time to join Nutri-system as I ballooned to a 18. He took it with me (back home this required a 75 mile ride one way to get to the weekly meetings). We started working out at a gym in a neighboring town (we lived where there was nothing, lol), and my mom even joined us for the workout portion (yay!). I went down to 175 fairly quickly (of course dad was just a pound or two from goal at this time) and I plateaued! I was working out 3x/wk, I was jogging on off-days despite the onset of Juvenile RA, totally stuck to what they told me to and nothing. Dad accused me of cheating and I wasn't. He said I must be eating beyond the 1200, I wasn't. This is when I learned... eat less, lose weight... that wasn't pretty. I did break plateau, but I would hide "meals" from my mom (dad saw me ditch them and said nothing)... then.. I got so tired of the insults from dad, I stopped. No more. Then there was utter horror in our house for a few years due to crap my brother pulled... depression hit, eating happened, activity down. You get the picture. I weighed in 228 my highest in high school until I met my fiance... lost a bunch again... through adult history, very active, always bigger (except during a party stage... apparently a pack of ramen noodles and then drinking all night while dancing is good for weight loss, lol). I was steady at 200ish (give or take 3-5 lbs) even when waitressing and running on feet 8 hrs a day. I have played tennis, coached basketball, etc. Active. never lost a pound. Then ballooned when medical issues hit again in the last year and a half. My highest weight ever was at the start of this journey most recently. I do not starve myself anymore (as I did for years - found out that is kicking me in pants now for metabolic rate ) I refuse to do unhealthy. I have always gotten an adrenaline rush off working out, so that's not hard for me... it's trying to increase calories. I am working with nutritionist, had a fitness coach help me get going, had my body typed (adrenal) to match me to the best vitamin supplements (ME? Vitamins? :O ) and the weight is finally coming off. It's slow, not gonna lie. Started end of March... but it IS coming off. My parents have BOTH complimented the progress, I have helped my mom along with me and she has lost too! My father is not the same man he was back then either though, matter of fact, their last visit in October, he gave mom and I some money to go get some clothes that fit :) I finally got correct answers on how to do this, I researched and educated myself where needed...and I enlisted the help of pros to fill in the blanks. Amazing it has been! Amazing it will continue to be!!!!

Beach Patrol
12-14-2011, 02:55 PM
I just realized, in my previous post, I didn't answer the question: "When did you start dieting?"

I started actually dieting right at around 12 years old. I was always a chubby child, always had a horrible sweet tooth. Always ate too fast. I had an eating disorder - BINGE EATING - but I didn't know that then. But when I hit "puberty" I suddenly lost "the baby fat" and started slimming down. Then I realized I was A GIRL, and my hormones went wild for every cute boy in the class! :rofl: (funny, but true!) So I did everything I could to not be fat.

I did keep my weight quite low (103-108) all thru jr-hi & hi-school. If my jeans were a bit too snug, I'd simply scale back the food for a few days, and they'd fit again. I now realize that I was probably suffering from water weight gain due to PMS, and that my weight did that up/down dance 3-5 lbs every month. :rolleyes: However, I also did some crazy things like taking laxatives & diet pills all the time. Drinking that gross apple-cider-vinegar concoction. Ugh. Eating yogurt for breakfast & lunch & then "pushing my food" around my plate at dinner. Just dumbness, really. But hey, whatever kept my "belly flat" so I could be "dateable". :rolleyes:

I had an abusive boyfriend and my mother sustained a horrible injury during my senior year. I didn't have her to "cook" for me so I started eating whatever, whenever. And I gained up to 121 lb by graduation. (What I wouldn't give to be "That fat" now!) I lost crazy weight after graduation - June, 1981... by August (3 months later) I was 92 lb. I just basically stopped eating. I would eat an orange or a banana in the morning, and drink some O.J. or a soda during the day, & that was it. I ate about one meal a week. You read that right - ONE MEAL PER WEEK. That's if my mom could get me to slow down enough to sit down & eat. Unsurprisingly, I passed out a lot.

After a car accident where I passed out & rear-ended someone, the doctor diagnosed me with hypoglycemia & anemia. He put me on a very strict diet, including no sugared foods & no fried foods. WHAT?!!?!?!? That's what I grew up eating! I'm southern, ya know. Fried chicken, fried squash & okra... mashed potatoes...southern fried steak, etc... puddings, cakes, etc for dessert. It took me a year to gain up to 115 lb. I maintained that thru-out college partially by diet & partially because I took weight-lifting as a class & got really into it. Plus, my boyfriend & I enjoyed hiking & other activities, so the weight pretty much leveled out at 115-118.

Then ... college ended. Life began. No more "free gym" (no more college) and well, that's when my "dieting" became "lifestyle" for me. Been doing it in one form or another ever since. Yo-yo'd my way up to 192 lb. Lowest "adult" weight was 126. Now, if I get down to my goal of 140, I feel "thin". But of course, never thin enough. I would really love to be about 125. But I don't feel like I can make it that low & then maintain it, so why even try? My lowest weight since I hit my 40's was 138. I was 3 lb from goal when I re-injured my shoulder & couldn't exercise, and gained & gained & gained til I hit 192. It's been 6 years since I was 138. So I figure... pushing 50 now, 140 is a decent goal. :^: Plus, thru all my years of dieting & exercising, I've come to learn that as we age, our bodies distributes weight differently. I'm thinner-looking now at age 48 & 155 lb than I was at age 32 & weighed 152 lb. That's so weird to me. But hey, I'll take it. :)

d130
12-14-2011, 04:57 PM
This is my first "diet", so it's been interesting to read so many stories about when and how people first started.

I started in May taking a good luck at what I ate and the portion size - I realised I had to do that after starting a bit of light exercise (walking) and not really making any progress with it.

I haven't stopped yet, but I'm trying to find more of a balance between losing and maintaining so I know about what my maintenance calories are. And as it's the holiday season, it makes me more likely to stay on track if I have some low calorie days and some higher calorie days. :)

January Snow
12-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Wow, I'm seeing some patterns develop in our stories. I, too, come from a weight obsessed family. My mother only weighed around 106lbs when she was my age (mid-20s), and she's a full 2 inches taller than me. She was obsessed with or depressed over her weight/size for as long as I can remember. (Note to yo-yo dieters, she's pushing 200lbs now.) My father is weight obsessed in a different way. He still (in his mid-50s) lifts weight every day. Being overweight is not tolerated well in my family, even though all of us have been there.

So on to me and my first diet, I was actually lucky enough to be a skinny kid in elementary school. I remember being questioned once in the 3rd grade for being underweight. The summer between fourth and fifth grade my mom had a friend that was running a one week overnight fat camp. My mom signed me up supposedly for the overnight camp experience even though I wasn't overweight. I remember I weighed either 74 or 72lbs the first day. It's interesting that I can recall this because I remember looking at the number with benign disinterest. I only committed it to memory because I knew other people would want to know. At camp, we ate portion-controlled meals and participated in lots of typical camp-style physical activities. At the end of the week we were weighed again, and I believe I weighed 68lbs, which again didn't interest me much. The whole experience did help ingrain a fear of being "fat" and an understanding that "fatness" was a condition that must be remedied.

Fast forward to puberty, though a little chubby, I didn't really worry about my weight in 5th, 6th or 7th grade. Then in 8th grade my school received a grant for fitness equipment. One of the conditions of this grant was that the school was weigh and take electronic body fat readings of students in certain grades. The whole thought of being accessed at school really bothered me, but the reading upset me more. I weighed some to the affect of 135 lbs and had a shocking 40% body fat. A friend and I heard that one of her sisters lost 15 lbs by giving up pop, so we gave up regular pop. I also gave up higher fat foods, practiced portion control and trier to make better food choices. I wasn't regularly weighing in, but I was going down sizes. By sophomore year I weighed 99lbs, had 13.5% body fat and typically wore a size zero. My body looked like Kirsten Dunst's in Bring It On. (Yea, I was a cheerleader.) Unfortunately I began to notice that my tailbone would hit the ground when I lied down on my back or my hip bones if I laid on my stomach. There were also some viscous rumors that I was bulimic (totally untrue). I slowly gained back 10lbs+ mostly by choice. Then in my junior year I had a lot of family turmoil and had to go live with my dad. All of my fitness outlets were gone, and my weight rose to 127lbs. When I returned to cheering senior year, my weight returned to around 120lbs. Since this is supposed to be about my first diet, I'll leave it there, but I detail the rest of my body history in other posts.

ArtyKay
12-15-2011, 01:40 AM
Wow, I'm seeing some patterns develop in our stories. I, too, come from a weight obsessed family.

Same here! Definitely a pattern...that's why I never want to diet ever again. I want to be healthy and eat right....When I have kids I don't want them to see me obsessing about weight! I want them to learn what a healthy lifestyle is through my actions.

ItsMyTurn
12-15-2011, 06:48 AM
Same here! Definitely a pattern...that's why I never want to diet ever again. I want to be healthy and eat right....When I have kids I don't want them to see me obsessing about weight! I want them to learn what a healthy lifestyle is through my actions.
Leading by example is the best way to teach and educate. Improving on what we were able to catch that our parents may have done wrong and changing it is also good... maybe one generation down the road, perfect parents will be bred :)

darway
12-17-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm in my 40s and over the course of my life have been on at least 4 significant diets (before this one) where I lost 20 pounds and gained it back again, plus some more. And I could probably tally 3 or so more dieting episodes where I lost about 10 pounds.

I think part of the reason this one worked, was I was sick and tired of failure. I was prepared to implement whatever number of changes were necessary, to finally make the progress stick.

Arctic Mama
12-17-2011, 11:11 PM
WHile I have changed my diet plan three times now, I have technically only made one attempt at dieting and it began in October 2008. I'm still doing it. Sometimes better than others, but I haven't ever given up or quit.