General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/201/170

Height: 5'9"

Exclamation First Step help? Please?

Wow, I've been reading a lot of your posts and seeing your amazing progress!

I'm 30, 5'10", 225 pounds, and frustrated. I'm able to "start" a diet but if I'm not losing I get frustrated and give up. All throughout my early 20s I was 165-170 pounds. I'm a teacher and coach so I'm on my feet a lot and don't like food that requires a lot of prep or a plan that leaves me super hungry. I'm hoping you all can help! :-)

1) How did you lose your weight? Were there any foods you added/deleted to your diet that made a big difference?

2) What was your weight loss definition of a successful week?

3) What happened when you "cheated" or fell off of the wagon?

4) How did you stay motivated? What was your inspiration?

Thanks for any help that you can give! Hopefully I'll be posting in the success columns soon!
JM14534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #2  

1) How did you lose your weight? Were there any foods you added/deleted to your diet that made a big difference?

Calorie counting and portion reduction. I really needed to learn how much I was eating.

Depending on the week. Sometimes just staying level. I also had a body fat component on my scale that I watched quite a bit. Generally not considered accurate, but I got excited about the body fat reducing.

Learned two weeks ago that guilt is NOT worth it. I have been working on changing mindset since then. If you are a person that eating "off plan" will result in a several day disaster then that is one demon. In my case that isn't usually what happens and I was blown away to feel actual guilt and disgust in myself. At that point I had to stop and re-evaluate what matters to me right now. I got a lot of inspiration from the posts of people going very slowly and very mindfully.

Really I am just trying to learn how to eat for my aging/changing body and to keep me healthier for life. I really embrace that I want to be healthy for myself physically and emotionally. I am inspired by strong, healthy people that take the best care of themselves that they can. I can only ask myself to do the best I can do for my health.

----

Figure out what works for you. Do you need mini-challenges and competitions and timelines? Or are you someone that is less interested in a specific pace and timeline?

I love all the posts in which a huge amount of their success is simply not gaining any more. You have to admit, that is a great way to look at it - obviously they have achieved some liveable change at that point.

Best of luck.

Last edited by HikingChloe; 12-11-2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: spelling
HikingChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #3  

PS.

I guess is there was one "food" I significantly cut it was soda and raspberry ice tea. Ironically I didn't drink either of them often, but when you are learning calories you will find yourself less willing to give up 150 calories + for a drink. I would say I probably had the flavored ice tea once a week? (soda was extremely rare - although full sugar, I won't do the artificial).

I will probably put the flavored ice tea into the very rare category now. I am lucky I didn't have a big sugar drink addiction so it wasn't a big deal. I know for some people that is a huge deal.
HikingChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I also have lost weight through calorie counting. Portion control has been key, but I've also cut out a lot of processed food by accident, because it just has more calories.

My definition of success is about 1.5lbs a week, although this can be difficult because my body has gotten into this pattern where I won't lose any weight one week and then drop 3-4 lbs the next so I've started looking at weight loss two weeks at a time.

If I cheat, or have a day where I don't count that's fine and I don't beat myself up about it. The important thing is to get up the next morning and be on plan. Feeling guilty about an off day will only make me more likely to continue to eat off plan the next day because that's what i'm focused on.

I have two main motivators currently. The first is that my pants are almost too big, so in a few more good weeks, I'll get to go out and buy the next size down. The second and bigger motivator for me, is that I calculated out my future weight loss if I lose that 1.5lb a week and I will make it to wonderland right before my birthday. I've decided that's my birthday present to myself this year so I'm not going to let one bad meal, or bad day keep me from it!

I would say keep trying. You may need to start a few more diets before you find the one that works best for your lifestyle and body.

Good luck!
spetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

1) How did you lose your weight? Were there any foods you added/deleted to your diet that made a big difference? Calorie counting. I cut out 90% of processed foods, especially artificial sugar, diet coke, etc. For me those are band-aids and didn't help me towards my goal of weening off my rabid sugar tooth. Significantly cutting down carbs (150 g/day).

2) What was your weight loss definition of a successful week? Staying on-plan. I learned that you can't rely on the scale to define your success.

3) What happened when you "cheated" or fell off of the wagon? I don't really consider it cheating. I consider it not eating on-plan. I wouldn't weigh myself the next day or two and just hop back on. Don't look back.

4) How did you stay motivated? What was your inspiration? My weight loss is tiny compared to everyone else's, but it really is more than the numbers. It's about learning how to manage my weight, which I've never really been able to do before. It was about getting control of weight gain that happened (10 lbs in 4 months) before it got control of me. It was about learning how to eat properly and healthfully.

And honestly, all my motivation and inspiration came from 3FC!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think we spend a lot of time looking for the "secret to success" - meaning for finding a diet that will net results that we will be satisfied - and that's actually the problem.

I've spent the last 40 years looking for the "secret to success," and only in the last few years realized that finding "the secret to success" wasn't my problem - it was in learning and understand "the secret to failure."

For me, that secret to failure was being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM14534 View Post
.. able to "start" a diet but if I'm not losing I get frustrated and give up.

My secret to success was in learning not to give up - ever. Not when the weight loss was slow... not if I didn't like my food plan... not if I suspected that I was never going to be able to lose even one more pound let alone all the weight...

My doctor helped me a lot by helping me understand "normal" and to realize that I was doing far better than normal, not far worse. All my life weight loss has been like running a marathon in which I thought I was in last place or near to it, because I saw 1,000 runners ahead of me, not realizing that there were 10,000 people behind me.

I was in the top ten percent, but I thought I was in the bottom ten.

What I said to my doctor was "I should be able to lose at least 2 lbs a week like a normal person, instead of the 1 lb per month, I was accomplishing," and my doctor told me that I was being ridiculous - that "normal" was losing nothing, or losing a little and regaining it all plus some to spare - that giving up was normal, and all I had to do to be in the "extraordinary" category was to not give up and to MAINTAIN the weight I had lost. At that point I hadn't even yet lost 30 lbs, and he said that just maintaining the weight I lost would be an extraordinary acheivement.

I left his office feeling extraordinary, and wanting to KEEP that feeling, and to do that I had to keep off every pound (and maybe lose one more). I discovered that losing really wasn't much more effort than maintaining, so if I was going to put the effort in to maintain, I might as well try to lose "just one more." And I've lost all the weight since, one pound at a time. Sometimes it took a month to lose that pound. Sometimes it took longer, and sometimes I lost two pounds in a month (I still haven't averaged more than 4 lbs in any month, yet).

In the past, any diet that resulted in less than 2 lbs per week, I defined as failure. And if I failed more than two or three months in a row, I quit (often still losing, just not losing fast enough to feel successful) By that definition of failure, I have "failed off" every one of my 101 lbs.

I've lost 101 lbs on a dozen or more different plans. The first 20 lbs, wasn't intentional (it was a side-effect of sleep apnea treatment).

Since then, I've experimented with a lot of different food plans, and low-carb definitely works the best for hunger-control and consistent weight loss.

I added a lot of non-starchy veggies, and subtracted most of the quick-digesting carbs. But I didn't "blame myself" for eating off plan, and I didn't judge off-plan eating as "proof" that the plan was "unsustainable." Not being able to stick to a plan perfect didn't mean anything - I judged the plan by my results, not my ability to stick to it. I decided that I could "learn" to stick to it, or at least could get better at sticking to it.

I didn't have one. This was probably the biggest change - one of the key "secrets to success." Whenever I set a weight loss goal, I felt like I failed, even if I was perfectly on my food plan. And if I had made even an infantesimally small mistake - I decided that my imperfection was the reason that I didn't meet my weight loss goal.

I decided that I was going to only make changes that would be healthy - even if no weight loss resulted. Things like eating more vegetables and low-sugar fruits, aiming for a calorie-goal for the day (but not stressing if I missed the mark), moving more... And I judged my success based on not the "results" and not on being perfect, but by whether or not I had done better than the week before.

For example, I clipped a step-counting pedometer on my shoes, and every day my goal was to beat the step-count of the day before (and I wrote it on a calendar, so I could see my progress over time).

I don't allow either of those terms/phrases in my mental vocabulary. I also removed, "Starting over" and "starting fresh."

My mottos became

"There is no starting over, just moving on."

"Every bite counts, every pound/ounce counts."

"Maintenance is even more important than weight loss, so when I believe I can't lose another pound, I remind myself that I CAN keep off what I've already lost" (even when that was only the first 20 accidental lbs).

"If I'm going to work to maintain my weight, I might as well work to lose "just one more."

By making maintenance more important than weight loss, I never felt tempted to binge, and if I caught myself in a small binge - I didn't use it as an excuse to allow a bigger binge in order to start over.

Even how I looked at gains was different. For example, a few days ago I was up a pound, so I couldn't celebrate 101 lbs lost, but I could still celebrate 100 lbs lost. I looked at how much I was maintaining as the real measure of success, not the amount I was losing.

I stayed motivated by documenting and rewarding my progress. Not only did I document the progress (and it was rewarding to see), I looked for ways to reward and recognize the progress.

At first it was a sticker chart. I'd plan a reward for every 5 lbs lost. Then I switched to a "Pandora" style bracelet, with each bead representing 5 lbs (technically I got "double rewards" for the first 50 lbs or so because I wanted to have a bead for every 5 lbs).

The "real" Pandora beads are pretty expensive, but I discovered that Jo-Ann Fabric and Michael's have the beads for less than $1 a bead (if you buy them on cards of 5).

As for inspiration, I actually "gave up" on inspiration. I realized I didn't need inspiration, I needed a commitment. And my commitment was to making progress, not "being perfect," and my commitment wasn't to losing weight, it was to making healhty changes that would be good for me, even if weight loss wasn't the rsult.

I didn't ever make even one single change that was going to be temporary. I've even resisted restricting my calories to a sub-maintenance level. I am hoping that I will be able to maintain a healthy weight on 1800 calories, so I haven't reduced my calorie level below that - because I don't want to have to "change again" at my goal weight. I'm not trying to learn to lose weight, I'm trying to learn to have a healthy lifestyle.

At first, I refused to make even one single change that was contingent upon weight loss. I've never been satisfied with my weight loss - even when I lost 8 lbs, I wished it had been more - or I'd overanalyze and point to the mistakes I'd made that week and would think "if I had been PERFECTLY on plan I would have lost 9 lbs!"

Taking weight loss out of the equation has been miraculous. I've since added it back in (I've rejoined TOPS - taking off pounds sensibly, a not-for-profit weight loss organization with monthly meetings like WW, except you can follow any food plan you'd like). There are prizes for weight loss, and I've been motivated by them (for example if you lose weight during any month, you earn a future month's free dues). There are also prizes for best loser every week, for going a month without a gain... several ways to earn recognition and even small gifts and cash prizes.

Most TOPS chapters offer some of these contests and other weight loss incentives, so it's fun as well as supportive (the tops.org website has a meeting finder if you're interested).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:12 AM   #7  

Wow, there's so much different and so much in common. Thanks do much for sharing! I'm definitely going to understand that it's the little victories that count and you can't stress about the small stuff! Thank you thank you & keep em coming! :-)
Old 12-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #8  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

While I started my weight loss journey about a year ago and restarted back in May, I really count the beginning of my journey as starting seven years ago, when I was 16. That fall was when my mother took me to her gym because she noticed I was gaining weight. Exercise became a regular part of my life for the next few years. I know I lost weight, but I don't know how much since I didn't weigh myself.

Because exercise was so ingrained in my life, it was pretty easy to add the next thing: eating healthy. I stopped eating a lot of "junk" food and tried to make sure I was eating lots of fruits and veggies. I didn't lose any weight during this time, but I sure as **** felt a lot better!

And lastly, in December I cut my portions which wasn't that big of a change. Exercise was part of my life for about six years at that point and eating healthy was second nature. I didn't keep this up, but that month I lost 8 pounds. When I tried again in May I learned about calorie counting and...here I am.

Small changes that turned into habits got me here. I think if I tried to change everything all at once I would have crashed and burned.

Sticking to my plan. If I lost weight, great. I learned from daily weighing and tracking my weight that I didn't lose in a linear fashion. Some weeks I would lose several pounds while other weeks I wouldn't lose at all. My graph is all over the place!

I actually never did because nothing was off limits. If I wanted a piece of cake, I planned for it in my calorie count. If I wanted fast food, I planned for it in my calorie count. If I wanted pizza I planned for it in my calorie count. I still lost weight and I was still able to enjoy some fun foods every now and then.

Every time I saw the scale move or I had to buy smaller clothes was a really big inspiration, but I really found others' success stories to be a giant motivator. Every day people, just like me lost the weight! It was very motivating to keep going on the days where I got discouraged.

Also a big inspiration was one of my best friends She's lost about 100lbs so far and started before me. I admit I was jealous when she started losing weight but I realized that I could either sit around and be jealous or I could move my (rather large at the time) butt and join her!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I lost the weight calorie counting. I did take some foods out of my diet, but I did so for health reasons, more than because I wanted to lose weight. I was calorie counting, but not because it was a "diet", but rather because I had no concept of what was enough food for me in a day.

Calorie counting = portion control.

For my own health reasons, I eliminated soda (including diet) and I haven't looked back. Best decision ever. But rather than just eliminating foods, I started to ADD food into my diet, like vegetables and fruits. I told myself to eat 5 servings (the "recommended" allotment per day).

A week that I stayed on plan, for the most part!

With calorie counting, there is not "falling off the wagon"..... you're just counting calories. I counted calories. Yes, even those high calorie days, to document what I ate and what happened afterwards.

When those days did happen, I asked myself why they happened? Was I just hungrier than normal? Was I stressed? Was I traveling (my downfall!)? And I learned to let it go, take any answers I got and promise to do better next time.

Well, my health was my initial inspiration/motivation, but it just turns into a routine. It becomes a habit. I never touched a Coke again. So, why would I start now? It's been so long since I had one, I don't crave it, I don't miss it.

It is about creating new healthy habits, new healthy hobbies, new healthier ways of related to people/food.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #10  

Sontaikle and Rana, how long did your transformations take? Thanks for the wisdom! :-)
Old 12-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #11  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

It depends on how you factor things. I started last December and then stopped (but kept off those 8 pounds) then started again in May.

So if you count the months I just maintained 192 pounds, then it's been a year. If you don't count the months I wasn't in weight loss mode then it took me about 8 months to lose the weight.

Personally I just say 8 months since I really wasn't even trying to maintain. I had just slipped back into old habits.

Last edited by sontaikle; 12-12-2011 at 08:28 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #12  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

I counted calories and slowly replaced my old junk foods with healthier foods. I didn't really make any sudden changes, just traded soda for water, then stopped buying candy at the gas station, then started cooking more at home.. There wasn't anything I can say I "outlawed" from my diet, I just slowly tried to eat more healthy rather than changing my whole lifestyle all at once. Now, looking back I cant believe how differently I am eating now vs. a year ago, but the changes were so subtle that I really hardly notice unless I really sit and think "wow I really used to eat ______ all the time!"

I didnt really have a lot to lose, so I would weigh every day and then at the end of a month I'd be satisfied with any downward trend. If I get too hung up on the numbers I tend to sway into disordered thoughts...

ugh, this is me right now. The sooner I can get back on track, the better. Ive honestly been way off plan for almost a month... but coming to the boards and posting seems to help and I've got to remember that even though the scale WILL be up tomorrow morning, ive got to nip it in the bud before I do something I REALLY regret. I also have a hard time being nice to myself when I get off track, which is something I really need to be better at.

It depends on the day. Usually, its enough to remember that I want to be as healthy as I can be, but sometimes- I need swimsuit season or an upcoming dance audition to motivate me... I also want to look good for my hubby! ;-)
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM14534 View Post
Sontaikle and Rana, how long did your transformations take? Thanks for the wisdom! :-)
This is the start of year three on this plan. I started "unofficially" on October 1, 2009. (I say it that way because I never thought I would be here now!)

Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 250 / 210 / 210

Height: 6' 4"

Everyone else has hit the 4 questions pretty well.

I'd like to say the FIRST step, really, is... Convincing yourself that you can make a permenant change, learn from past mistakes - and stop doing those.

Yes, you may slip up briefly and need to reboot. But you have to persuade yourself that you're on the road to success and not just "trying".

Last edited by darway; 12-13-2011 at 09:30 PM.
darway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #15  

Calorie counting & cycling (i.e., calorie cycling). I didn't cut out any foods because I knew if I did, I wouldn't last. However, I do limit the amount of desserts I eat because it cuts into my calorie count too deeply.

I focused mainly on changing behaviors. So, if I was consistent with my goal behaviors, I considered that successful. I did not weigh myself for the entire time I was losing.

Believe it or not, this rarely happened. I cannot think of one week so far where I've gone over my calorie allotment (I add up weekly calories, so if I overeat on one day, I just make up for it on one or more days on the rest of the week). On days where I eat more than I planned, I naturally start to feel those familiar guilt feelings, but this time, I've made a conscious effort to squelch such feelings. I tell myself that everyone overdoes it now and again, and I move on.

So far, I haven't had a problem with motivation [knock on wood!], but I've already decided that if my motivation wanes, I will identify the tweak needed in my plan and make it. I plan to be flexible. If calorie counting stops working for me, I'll try something else. If I get bored with my current activity level, I'll try something else. The only thing that isn't an option is giving up and regaining.

Last edited by lin43; 12-13-2011 at 10:50 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote