Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 292/281/190

Height: 5'7"

Default Anyone doing No Flour No Sugar?

Hi! I've been enjoying information from this group for a while and decided it was time to join and introduce myself and see if anyone here was doing the no added sugar or flour diet.

I've been watching what I eat and getting regular exercise for almost 10 weeks now but seeing no results on the scale. My doctor is happy with my bloodwork (I look great on paper except for my weight) so she suggested I try cutting out processed foods, and pointed me toward the recipes in Dr. Gott's No Flour No Sugar Diet (NFNS). The recipes are good and it's pretty easy to follow, so I'm positive about it, but I'm drinking so much tea and water I think my kidneys are floating! Of all things, I'm getting bored with beverages. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Is anyone else trying this NFNS diet? How are you liking it?
Annabear42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 172/172/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm doing something similar to this. It's sort of a low carb concept, but not really. If it's bread pasta or sugar, I won't eat it. It's not as hard as I thought it would be, once I got over the idea of no more spaghetti.
fruitlooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #3  
Hang on little root!!

S/C/G: 164/146/132

Height: 5'5"

WELCOME!

I haven't had sugar in 9 days (my 10th will be today), and ya.. no flour... so I know how you feel, but I'm on the Sonoma diet. Which means I have whole wheat products, instead of white flour.

Try black coffee, or black tea... you'll start loving water, trust me.

I like water coolers (flavored water) that don't have too much acid. And I drink mostly green tea with lemon packets (pressed lemon). I suppose you could substitute some of that artificially flavored drink mix stuff...

but it's terrible for your body! You'll have serious health problems down the road if you drink too much of them. Trust me... I've been down that road before...
Have you tried aloe water? (some brands are really good!)
There's also SoL'eau water... but I'm not sure if that's good for you, since I haven't had a lot of it...

If you haven't seen any results for 10 weeks, and you're cooking quite a bit, you should try the Sonoma diet. I've lost almost 8 pounds in 9 days! Oh, and get the cookbook... it's much easier that way. I haven't even read the "diet book," just the cookbook.. and I'm happy with my results. Tomorrow, I get to start eating fruit! YAY!
reanbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I use an exchange plan for portion control, because it's very easy for me to overeat, even on "good carb" diets, and the exchange plan format allows me to include anything I can fit into my budget.

That being said, I'm finding that I have to avoid virtually all of the processed carbs, and have to be extremely careful with even the "good carb" ones, especially grains and the sweeter fruits.

Wheat I have to eliminate entirely, because it doesn't agree with me. I don't know if it's a true allergy or just a severe intolerance, but it aggravates my autoimmune issues, the pain of my arthritis and fibromyalgia, and especially my inflammatory skin issues.

The longer I avoid wheat, the worse the symptoms get from smaller and smaller amounts. When I first started noticing the connection, the bread in a sandwhich (2 slices) would make my face get red, puffy and flaky within 24 hours, but I could eat small amounts of bread and didn't seem to have a problem with pasta at all (which made us think that I might either be allergic/sensitive to the yeast, or to a specific type of wheat, rather than wheat in general). Now, even a few bites of wheat can trigger the skin issues.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #5  

Thanks everyone! This isn't too bad since I can have whole grains. I'm still working out portion sizing and realized I needed to switch calorie counts on breakfast and lunch (my higher protein breakfast didn't have enough calories to keep me from being a grump later in the day it seems). Thanks for the drink suggestions. I'm trying to stay away from artificial sweetners, after a while they seem to disagree with me. I haven't tried the aloe water but I'll put it on the shopping list!
Old 12-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #6  

Hi AnnaBear,
I've never tried the NFNS but did go for about a year with no Dairy, Eggs, Wheat or Corn so I have plenty of reccomendations for yummy meal ideas if you need any
Also watch out as a lot of the substitutes are much higher in calories, Cassava for instance has a lot of protein (dependant on variety) so whilst good for you, your body doesn't need very much of it.
P.S must mention that Cassava bread Sloppy joes are AMAZING! but as a treat!

Healthy Angel

Last edited by HealthyAngel; 12-09-2011 at 04:42 PM.
HealthyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #7  

My mother went on a diet of NO FAT, NO FLOUR, NO SUGAR for 2 years.
She lost 75 pounds.
Plus she counted her calories.

(I just count my calories.)
Best wishes to you on your weight loss journey!
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #8  

Talking

No luck on the aloe water, but I did find a few things that have spiced up my drinking habits (wow that sounds bad):

Ginger and lemon peal water
spiced apple tea
pumpkin spice chai tea

I made a jumbalaya tonight from the No Flour No Sugar cook book, I'll let you know how it turns out. So far the recipes have been pretty good.

Thanks for the warning on Cassava. I also learned the hard way this weekend you can over lentil as well. Who knew?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #9  

So far I'm liking this. The food is pretty good (thank goodness I can have cheese in moderation!) and I've lost 4 lbs so I'm not complaining. And I found the Aloe water!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #10  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your 4lb loss to date!
Best of luck on your journey!
What is Aloe water??
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote