Weight Loss Support - NSV: Blood Pressure

View Full Version : NSV: Blood Pressure

startswimming
12-05-2011, 01:43 PM
In July I had an appt with my dr for the first time in a very long time. A month later was when I decided to start working on my weight. Anyway, at that visit my blood pressure was 140/100 and he was debating medication. He told me to lose weight to see if that helped. At today's visit my blood pressure was 128/82. I know it's not perfect, but that's pretty good progress in 5 months, right? I was relieved to see it lower! We'll see how all of the bloodwork comes back!

Liz

PreciousMissy
12-05-2011, 01:55 PM
That is awesome news!!!! Good job! Not having to go on medication because of a weight related issue is always good news!

deblosingit
12-05-2011, 02:49 PM
That's wonderful. Isn't it empowering to know that you can change your body and improve your health. Keep up the good work!

kirsteng
12-05-2011, 04:33 PM
I think that's fantastic - good for you!!! And you were probably a little stressed to get your bp tested, given your previous results, so your actual numbers are likely a little lower normally - which would put you in the normal range. That's amazing progress for 5 months - give yourself a huge pat on the back!! :D

Jojo381972
12-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Congrats! Excellent news about your bp!!! :carrot:

twinieten
12-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Great NSV!

berryblondeboys
12-05-2011, 11:44 PM
If only more people would actually exercise and drop weight to get healthier. Takings pill just shouldn't be so easy.

startswimming
12-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks all! Before I put all of this weight on my BP was always like the one teens over seventy something. But I obviously have a lot more weight to lose, so hopefully it will get back down there in time. He is a very young doctor and this was the first time he had ever seen me. I'm glad he gave me the chance to do something about it before rxing something! :)
I also felt a lot more "real" about my weight loss and hard work seeing the numbers in public. Woo!

Liz

Jojo381972
12-06-2011, 03:00 PM
^I'm sure it will.

I had the exact same issue as you. I was told last year that my BP was medium high 140/90, and that he wanted me to lose weight to get the BP down or he would have to put me on pills. I went back a few weeks ago and my BP isn't down at all. He told he was pleased I had lost weight, and that it will eventually come down. He also said that maybe 140/90 is normal for me since the last three times I went it hasn't budged. I'm hoping it goes down the more weight I lose. I'm sure it will as you have lost about 20 more pounds than me. It gives me hope. My doc never put me on pills cause he said at least it hasn't went up and he has hope it will go down over time. :)

Good for you though! :)

Misti in Seattle
12-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Way to knock that ole BP!!! Congratulations!