Old 12-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #1  

Default First Post / Medifast Favorites

Hi everyone.

I'm 5'5' and weighed in at 242 and freaked out. I started Medifast a few weeks later (on Saturday) and today is my third day. I thought I would share my experience thus far.

Day 1 and 2 were not fun, I had fatigue and a massive Medifast headache by about 3 p.m. each day. Today is much better (Day 3). I'm hoping tomorrow I will have that Medifast energy thing everyone talks about. ;-)

One of the things I did that helped with the hunger was add one egg white (with salt) for each Medifast meal in the morning. I'm using the 14 egg-white protein choice for my lean and green meal and a Medifast nutritionist said I could eat those 14 eggs all day long. I felt that this really helped with satiety.

Thus far my favorite foods are:

Peanut butter soft serve

Caramel and peanut butter bar

Parmesan Cheese Puffs

I'm a vegetarian so if you have any recs of your favorites please let me know!

I cannot stand the oatmeal, I made it soupy and also thick and it was vile both times.

My goal weight, for now, is 180.

Thanks for the forum and the good advice I've read here.
nycmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yes, those first three days are really hard for most people, but not everyone has that reaction. Still, you can expect it to get much better as your body adjusts.

I like the oatmeal, but not everyone does. I am a parmesan puffs fan, too!

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #3  

Tomato soup...ugh! Started 1/1/12, with a goal of 40 pds to lose.
Mosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Your tastes will change. I hated the oatmeal at first but love it now.

Many people seem to like these:

Crunch bars (Smores, Peanut butter, Choc mint, and chocolate)
Puffs (both)
Hot cocoa (my favorite!)
Brownies and soft bake cookies

Good luck!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:48 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 216/184/137

Height: 5'1"

I'm totally a parm puff/caramel/peanut butter bar/pre-made shakes addict!
sessa555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 260/138/144

Height: 5'4"

I love the coffee soft serve made as a shake with a packet of Via added, mint choc crunch bars, parm puffs, brownie and soft bake, tomato soup made as flat bread, root beer floats made with vanilla shakes and diet root beer, mango soft serve shakes made with diet Sunkist, spiced pancakes as a mug muffin. I've been on MF for over a year (I'm in maintenance now), so I have lots of favorites.
goldendoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #7  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I love all the bars, but especially peanut butter, oatmeal raisin and lemon. I like to put the caramel bars in the fridge.

LOVE the chili! I doctor it up with salsa and hot sauce.

I really like all the pancakes, and the discontinued scrambled eggs. I cook the eggs on the stove and top with salsa.

Love the puffs and pretzels, like the bites. I think the puffs taste better, but the bites don't get stuck in my teeth.

The brownies and hot cocoa are my favorite evening meals. I like to add extracts to the brownies or top with peanut butter. Hot cocoa gets made with hot coffee, or I add cocoa powder, cinnamon, ginger and cayenne pepper. So good!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #8  
40+ years, 40+ lbs

S/C/G: 192/163/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm a pudding fan -- I have my chocolate pudding as my kid's-in-bed-me-time treat just about every night. Also like the peanut butter and choc mint bars, shakes, brownies, bbq bites, parm puffs. Do *not* like the soups or the pancakes. I like the oatmeal better as a "mug muffin," but I've found that works better in small paper bowls (like the ones that come with the brownies).
40plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 350/320/200

Height: 6 ft

I look forward to the southwest eggs!
Mymedifastjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddy View Post

The brownies and hot cocoa are my favorite evening meals. I like to add extracts to the brownies or top with peanut butter. Hot cocoa gets made with hot coffee, or I add cocoa powder, cinnamon, ginger and cayenne pepper. So good!

Yumm!! Sounds like chocolate and redhots. That's a great idea!
Bones1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #11  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Hi Bones,
I used to buy this gourmet hot cocoa mix that had cinnamon and chiles in it. Doctoring up the medifast hot cocoa like that makes it seem much more decadent to me.

I just bought some coconut flavor - can't wait to try that in the hot cocoa!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 222/193/150

Height: 5'9

chocolate crunch bar, chocolate chip cookie, orange juice, dutch chocolate shake!!
londonlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

All of the bars are really good--except one that was a strawberry something or other. Too sweet. The chocolate mint is like Girls Scout thin mints! We'll continue to order the bars for midmorning snacks.

I liked the oatmeal. The pancakes were okay as long as you mixed them exactly right. We hated all the soups. The tomato based ones we'd doctor up with tons of salsa and that helped. I disliked the puffs--to fake tasting to me. The eggs were gross for both flavors (regular and southwest).

The shakes were all quite decent.

DH and I did the program for about 2 or 3 months, went off, gained some of it back and are now both doing Nutrisystem which isn't as low carb, but we like the food a lot better. I found that the time I was on Medifast set me up for too many cravings for pasta, so when we went off, I made pasta dishes every night for weeks (thus why we gained it back). With Nutrisystem, there is enough variety that we aren't feeling deprived of any food (like pasta).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:17 AM   #14  

I tried the coffee/cocoa powder idea with cinnamon, and it was delicious! I used to treat myself to a Starbucks mocha most mornings before work and the calorie count in those is ridiculous. This is an extremely satisfying alternative.

I have also tried adding extracts (peppermint and vanilla so far) to the brownie mixes and they were very tasty as well.

I have liked pretty much everything I've tried from MF, except the lemon meringue bars. But then I was never a huge fan of lemon meringue pie, either.
Bones1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #15  

Hello NYCMOM,

I too just started Medifast 3 days ago and had a huge headache today. This is my second time around on MF. The first time I lost a total of 93 pounds in a little under four months but have since gained 40 pounds back. My favorites are the hot chocolate, maple brown sugar oatmeal, broccoli soup, chocolate pudding and shakes. This is about all my MF consists of. I haven't tried the puffs or bars. I am worried for me it would cause me to want to snack once I reach my goal.

Glad to be here and share our goals.

Jen
Juniper Berries is offline   Reply With Quote