Exercise! - Hooping Thread

View Full Version : Hooping Thread

Daimere
12-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Does anyone hoop? Curious about hooping? Ask away here! Talk about your last hooping session here! There are a few short exercise videos on youtube and there was one on exercise tv. There are a few exercise DVDs for hooping.

According to recent article from ACE, hooping burns 210 calories every thirty minutes. Let's get hooping!

Daimere
12-03-2011, 09:13 AM
My last hoop session was a combination of hooping/body weight exercises. Was tons of fun and felt great!

CyndiM
12-03-2011, 09:53 AM
I love hooping but have a very small apartment. All my hooping is just waist and hips, no room for anything else :)

Serval87
12-03-2011, 04:53 PM
I have some nice hula hoops, but can't seem to keep it up. :(

Raven132
12-03-2011, 04:58 PM
I love it, but until Spring my hoop is in hibernation.

Daimere
12-03-2011, 08:10 PM
I have some nice hula hoops, but can't seem to keep it up. :(

Are you sure they are the correct size? Larger is better, even for fitness (although those wavy/bumpy hoops I wouldn't suggest). I went through five hoops before finding one that worked for my body. Also, have you tried spinning with the rotation of your hoop? That means it gives you more time to hit the hoop with your body. Other saves are hooping faster and squatting to pick up the hoop back to your waist. Honestly if you do not have a strong core, it may just be hard in the beginning. When I found that good hoop, I could literally feel my muscles cramping up and stopping. There was no "hooping faster" because my muscles couldn't do it. I'd count seconds on the clock. Eventually I worked up to a minute, then minutes, then 16 minutes, after that, I felt accomplished.

Today I didn't sleep (I work nights) and instead I went to a two hour hoop yoga class. It was amazing. Makes me want to do yoga more often. Unlike the Just My Size Yoga, it felt like I was doing something and I wasn't bored yet not super fast like most yoga DVDs.

CyndiM
12-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Mine is a bumpy weighted hoop. I love it but if I slack I feel it. Takes some getting used to the weighted hoop hitting my hips. I would love to try a class!

Funny you mentioned yoga I have just started getting back to my yoga DVDs. I like classes better but both classes close to home ended and getting to one 40 minutes away just doesn't work. I do like the hour long Yoga Zone DVDs.

EllieFunt
12-04-2011, 08:21 PM
I love hooping! I need to re-clear an area in my basement so I can get back to it. I have a heavier hoop from Hoopnotica. It came with a great dvd.

Daimere
12-04-2011, 11:51 PM
I love the hoopnotica DVDs. I'm thinking of getting a Hoopnotica teacher certification once I can secure a host location (then I get it for free!).

Daimere
12-05-2011, 10:20 AM
I really, really didn't want to exercise today. Instead I just started hooping and did just the most important strength exercises in between hooping sets. I'm still sore from hoop yoga though. Some activity is better than none!

sontaikle
12-05-2011, 10:30 AM
I LOVE the hoola hoop. I usually use at the gym before the classes start because I'm always there 20 minutes or so early for some reason :joker:

I want to get myself a heavier one though, as the ones at the gym have become too easy for me.

Serval87
12-05-2011, 09:10 PM
I have a large heavy hoop and a medium heavy hoop. I've actually "hooped" the larger one once, but as soon as I stopped, I was never able to do it again. lol. I'm sure just trying and failing still gives me a workout since it makes me sweat, but I get frustrated.

Daimere
12-06-2011, 03:33 AM
If you're squatting to pick up the hoop, that's totally exercise. It took me a month of solid trying before even getting a good spin that barely lasted a few minutes, if that. The biggest key is building that muscle memory which is frustrating at times! I think Hoopalicious said once, "Always remember to hoop on your core and remember every skill can be hard. But you got to teach your body to do this. Then, you'll have a smart body!" Or something like that. It was inspiring and I go around saying to myself, "Go you! I have a smart body! Weeee!"

Serval87
12-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks. I might actually give it a try again. :)

Talina
12-06-2011, 10:35 PM
I love hooping! Unfortunately it's too cold outside right now, and I don't have nearly enough room inside. I've been hooping for a couple of years now, but haven't been picking up the hoop nearly enough lately.

The thing I love about hooping is that even though it seems hard, and some tricks seem near impossible, it just takes learning how to move correctly. Once you get that down it seems so easy and you wonder what took so long!

Daimere, that sure looks like an LED hoop in your picture! What kind do you have? I built one, but have been having issues with it. I'm thinking about rewarding myself with a PSI hoop if I can stick to my fitness goals.

Serval87
12-07-2011, 01:35 AM
So, have any of you seen results from hooping? If so, can you elaborate? Thanks! I'm psyching myself up to try again. :D

Daimere
12-07-2011, 03:24 AM
Daimere, that sure looks like an LED hoop in your picture! What kind do you have? I built one, but have been having issues with it. I'm thinking about rewarding myself with a PSI hoop if I can stick to my fitness goals.
That one is a lighted lifestyle one but I wouldn't recommend at this time one from them. I have another form superhooper (and you can get a polypro for free!). If I showed you some pictures of the mechanics of it, do you think you could help me downsize it? I got a 50" but I know nothing of electronics. I would love it to be at least 42" or 40". I feel so bad not using it now a days.

So, have any of you seen results from hooping? If so, can you elaborate?
When I hooped 30-hour a day, I maintained 250 super super easy while eating like a pig. I've been hooping for my exercise and I've lost 4 lbs so far.

Daimere
12-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Did my hoop strength workout and I'm starting figure out what moves I will keep and what moves I will get rid of.

Talina
12-07-2011, 09:46 PM
If I showed you some pictures of the mechanics of it, do you think you could help me downsize it? I got a 50" but I know nothing of electronics. I would love it to be at least 42" or 40". I feel so bad not using it now a days.

Unfortunately I don't think I could help you with that. I doubt that I could do much even in person. LED hoops are a pain in the *** to make. I understand why people sell them for so much.

I actually make all my own hoops. The only one I've bought was a collapsible one from Hoopnotica, The portability is nice, but I dislike the hoop so I never use it. Not that it's a bad hoop, It's just heavy and is made from a plastic that feels strange to me. My usual hoop is actually a poly pro. It's somewhere between 36-38". I use bigger hoops when learning a new trick or practicing with multiples.

So, have any of you seen results from hooping? If so, can you elaborate? Thanks! I'm psyching myself up to try again.

When I'm hooping regularly (Usually 1-2 hour most days) I get lots of comments about how I appear to be losing weight. I wasn't weighing myself at the time, but I was trying to eat decent. Not perfect, but I'd at least try to make healthier choices. I did start to notice my muscles getting bigger! My arms were showing definition and I got an amazing line in my calf that I'd never had before! My clothes also fit better.

For me hooping is all about fun, playing and learning new tricks. I don't do it as an 'exercise routine'. I don't life weights or do any of your typical workout moves. I just crank up some music and start dancing with the hoop. Hoopers call this hoop dancing. My style involves constantly moving all over my body. It goes from my knees, to my waist, chest, and then over my head. This gets my whole body involved. I may choose to get back into the hoop by jumping in. I've practiced so much that I can do this fairly smoothly. The great thing about this is I'm constantly moving in different ways which engages my entire body. My muscles are constantly doing different things. I consider it mostly cardio, but somehow I was still gaining muscle when I wasn't really doing any other exercising.

If you're having trouble hooping this is a wonderful article about how you don't have to have natural talent to get it! http://www.hooping.org/2011/02/hooping-is-not-a-competition/

I could talk about hooping for hours...but I don't want to bore anyone! I'm really missing my hoops right now. Darn this cold weather!

Daimere
12-07-2011, 10:51 PM
I don't remember reading that article but evidently, I did:
Thank you for posting this! I’ve been trying to waist hoop for a month now and still can’t waist hoop for more than a few seconds. I’ve been feeling down on myself thinking that I would never get it. Although I was lucky enough to be able to convince my friends to do it. ^_^ A group of us are going to a hoop class I found and hopefully she will get me waist hooping.

What I found out after that class was that I needed a larger hoop. And I'm sure that message I posted was before I wound up crying and screaming, "I can't do this! Something is wrong with me!"

Here's one girl's story: http://www.roccityhoopdance.com/about.html

The only one I've bought was a collapsible one from Hoopnotica, The portability is nice, but I dislike the hoop so I never use it. Not that it's a bad hoop, It's just heavy and is made from a plastic that feels strange to me. My usual hoop is actually a poly pro.
I have a troo hoop and one hoopnotica hoop. My hoopnotica one creaks so much! I just use a huge hoop on a daily basis. That's just how I like my dance. Although polypro is fun sometimes when I just want to do off body stuff.

Talina
12-08-2011, 11:00 AM
That's a very inspiring story! The biggest things that I try to warn people about hooping is that:
1. It will not whittle away your waste.
2. You have to do it often and pair it with good eating habits to see a difference.

My Hoopnotica hoop creaks too! For those without them, it's only an issue with the collapsible ones. Have you tried tandem hooping? I made a hoop that's about 5ft and have a friend that we work on figuring out tricks with it. It's also great to give to beginners. It moves so slow that 99% of the newbies that I've handed it to can instantly keep a hoop on their waste!

I'm avoid weighted/heavy hoops, because in my opinion with a lighter hoop you don't bruise easily and you can keep going for longer. I'm all about dancing and have been known to hoop all night long to great music!

Daimere
12-08-2011, 09:28 PM
That's a very inspiring story! The biggest things that I try to warn people about hooping is that:
1. It will not whittle away your waste.
2. You have to do it often and pair it with good eating habits to see a difference.
truth. My one local hooping friend lost 80 pounds when she switched to whole foods/4 hour hooping.

Talina
12-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Wow! That's very intense! I naturally lean towards whole foods. I think it's mostly because they're easier to prepare, and they also rarely upset my picky stomach. Now that I've started cooking again I'm hoping to eat much healthier.

Daimere
12-09-2011, 03:35 AM
Although she's great when I want to know more info on gardening, hippie foods, and whatever. After talking to her, I really decided to try green smoothies (but not the true green smoothie diet). She is also the friend I have that has screwed up her back by only hooping one way. LESSON OF THE DAY: ALTERNATE CURRENT!

Daimere
12-12-2011, 11:28 AM
I kept trying to tape a hoop session but for some reason my camera kept turning off. Evidently the camera mode wasn't on. I think I hooped to one song a billion times. I am so exhausted! I was huffing and puffing. Why does it seem so much harder when it's cold outside? It's like my lungs were burning.

sontaikle
12-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Although she's great when I want to know more info on gardening, hippie foods, and whatever. After talking to her, I really decided to try green smoothies (but not the true green smoothie diet). She is also the friend I have that has screwed up her back by only hooping one way. LESSON OF THE DAY: ALTERNATE CURRENT!

Oh goodness this. One way I can hoop so well and the other way I've just gotten it to stay up longer than a few minutes. I should have been alternating! Doh!

Daimere
12-13-2011, 12:21 AM
Oh goodness this. One way I can hoop so well and the other way I've just gotten it to stay up longer than a few minutes. I should have been alternating! Doh!

It took me months spin on my waist in my alternate current. Eventually, I had to reverse mid hoop to trick my body that it was the same motion. It's still really hard for me some days. Some days I can rock it, others not so much. It just takes time to get your alternate current. Hooppath says every time you drop the hoop, spin the other direction.

Daimere
12-17-2011, 10:17 AM
They are taking away our exercise room at work. I decided I'll hoop in one of the locked dining rooms now. I hooped on two of my breaks. It was fantastic and exhilarating.

Daimere
12-21-2011, 12:45 PM
I've been hooping a bit lately but not huge sessions. Just a few minutes here and there.

Although I've been able to secure a location to teach hooping classses! Yay!

Daimere
12-29-2011, 03:18 AM
Hooping.org is having a 30/30 that starts on Sunday. That's a challenge to hoop for 30 minutes a day for 30 days. I suggest joining in! It's great! I swear by daily practice. I'm so stoked because I've been out of hoop commission lately. :(

Daimere
01-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Hooping.org is starting a 30/30! http://www.hooping.org/2012/01/3030-new-year-hooping-challenge/

Daimere
01-01-2012, 07:06 PM
And I am in a contest and I'd appreciate some votes. I could go to a Biggest Loser Retreat if I win. I'll get the whole place hooping if so! I'm the entry that's hooping at the bottom, Shannon's Biggest Loser Retreat Entry
http://apps.facebook.com/contestshq/contests/160284/voteable_entries Thank you.

CherryQuinn
01-01-2012, 09:01 PM
hooping sounds interesting and despite doing belly dancing ive never been able to hoop lol i can work my hips like anything but im hoopless with hoops :P

Daimere
01-01-2012, 09:51 PM
hooping sounds interesting and despite doing belly dancing ive never been able to hoop lol i can work my hips like anything but im hoopless with hoops :P

The biggest key to hooping is a large hoop and the right technique. Most people need to push front and back or side to side. My hoop comes up to my chest. Hoops should be at your waist or to your chest. The larger the hoop the easier it is to keep it up. ^_^

Have you ever seen Valentina/Unity's videos? She bellydances and hoops.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQiDEaXeuc0

Daimere
01-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Did 30 minutes of hooping today!

Daimere
01-06-2012, 08:51 PM
I've been doing 30 minutes of hooping the last six days! ^_^

Daimere
01-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Instead of free dance, I did betty hoop's dance hoop workout. Killer!

philana
01-10-2012, 09:12 AM
I REALLY want to start hooping, but I've never gotten around to it. Have to buy/make a hoop and that's a big hassle already. Hahah. I'm a lazy sod sometimes. But it looks like so much fun!