Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning:
Weight at ticker. Ate slowly and sitting down everytime including ( I blush) sitting down on my shopping cart to eat and red velvet cupcake sample. (Oh Well) This weekend I will chart my hunger during meals while I am at a family wedding in San Francisco. Yoga this morning.

Valerie: I am sorry to hear about your friend.It has only been recently that I have experienced the loss of friends. I guess I have been lucky. It is really the permanence of the absence that strikes me. I often think like a child wondering, "It has been long enough. Is she back yet?"
BBE Today's task is to be aware of what I eat and judge my hunger at the beginning, middle, and end of every meal. Being aware of what I am doing while I am doing it is half the battle. I didn't finish my breakfast because I realized I was full half way through.
gardenerjoy: I love trampolines. In California we have giant warehouses made of trampolines with dodgeball courts and trick rooms. I love going there with DS and we have a great time. I can't do it too often however because I have plantars faciatis (bad feet) and its doesn't help them.
Fyreflie: Congrats on the "onesies." I remember that feeling. I also remember my first single digit clothing item. There is a lot to look forward to.
maplover: Credit for more detailed advantage cards. It is hard to picture life without food obsession but once I could envision it, it became a possibility.

Last edited by maryann; 12-02-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #17  
Beck follower

S/C/G: 136/134/120

Height: 5'5

Hello coaches/buddies!

Have been without power and now all is restored so am back in action. So did not track for a couple days but now am again. Did well on TG. Did not overeat and was happy about that.

Finding my ARC cards are not motivating and dont find reading them helps but do it anyway. Has anyine else found that?

I like the " oh well" and no choice words, those seem to have an impact on me, cool! Dont want to keep weighing, it just upsets me.

Thank you for some previous thoughts from
Gardnerjoy and 4everlearning! Very helpful and Ive been thinking about them. I liked them a lot and appreciate them.. Still wish I had tons of time to read more here on this site! So much good stuff!!!

Happy friday and see you tomorrow!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #18  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Friday

Coaches

Many good posts today. All of them spoke to me.

Well for the first time ever I actually had 85g of pasta for dinner. This was the suggested serving size on the package. I added the suggested serving size of pasta sauce=1/2cup and had some meatballs at 1.5 servng size. It was 9 meatballs vs the suggested 6. Next time it'll be 6. I made DH about twice what I had and he saud it was to much. He would have been happy with half. So, next time we're both having the suggested serving size.

*credit for pre=planning, weighing and measuring, and willingness to do so.

I did run into trouble with some beef jerky DH made that's in the fridge. I was going to snarf it down and then realized I had to track it and that slowed me enough to think and to make a conscious decision to eat it or not. I chose to eat it and track it. *credit*

Another good day in spite of the snowiness of it.

See you tomorrow coaches.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #19  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Tomorrow's challenge: a pot luck party from 3pm to 5pm. Kind of awkward timing for a meal and yet I would probably like to eat at least a meal's worth of calories. So, the plan is to have a snack noonish and combine my second snack and lunch at the party. Then a late, light supper.

WI: -0.15 kgs, Exercise:+45 95/1300 minutes for December, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 12-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #20  
Beck follower

Hello again friends and excellent coaches,

I have read back through posts and totally agree with alot there. I do not want to obsess over 10 lbs when everyone thinks I look great or am "almost there" according to a gal at the gym who recent lost a lot of weight by cal ctg. Ive always felt "almost there".

One asked what program Im following and Ive slacked a little on all aspects of Beck but its on the front of my brain daily, sitting for ea meal, have not been as diligent about NO deviating from the plan giving it the "oh well" and not the way dr beck intended it!

So great advice, going back to mastering the skills better, maybe only weighing once a mo, sitting for all meals and once again eliminate nibbling. I guess I wasnt seeing the weight change and had a minor "give up" mentally.

I was not at all displeased with 2 lb weight loss. Would be thrilled with that or any further losses with any consistency, that is huge for me in a week, did I really say "only"?

I love the comment what healthy goal is and what my vain goal is. That hit the nail on the head right there.

No not losing inches, clothes are definitely NOT looser, if anything tighter which feels awful and from now on will just change those pants out right away in the morning! Be kind to myself!

Look forward to tne day I get a better hang of how to post in bold and get to know everyone better! Right now I will have to make notes at my desk and then type lol

Thanks again coaches...
holly
Old 12-03-2011, 05:40 AM   #21  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Finished another chunk of the painting that I have to do, CREDIT moi, and made a realistic plan for the remainder that acknowledges that sleeping arrangements will have to be juggled so that DW isn't affected by the odors from oil based paint. The small section of oil based stuff will be delayed until after Christmas, but the bulk can get done before guests arrive for the holidays.

Needed to deal with dinner while going out between 5:30 and 9:30, so had my pulled pork leftovers as a high protein snack just before leaving. Had expected to have a late dinner, but changed plans and skipped dinner entirely. CREDIT moi for a solution that actually resulted in a lower calorie day than planned. I do like that being busy makes hunger go away just as surely as does a meal.

onebyone – 85g of pasta is certainly Kudos worthy. As is your decision to be mindful about your choice with the beef jerky. (We had our one snow last month and are now clear.)

Joy (gardenerjoy) – 3-5 is an odd time for a potluck.

maryann - LOL at sitting on your shopping cart, with Kudos for taking your Beck strategies seriously. I've personally not become enchanted with 'red velvet' - still tastes like a cupcake to me. And any cupcake reminds me of the fourth grade.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Congrats for breaking into the one-eighties - may you never need to cross that line again. Love the goal of minimizing weight that you'll have to peddle on your long bike ride.

maplover – Sending supportive thoughts for your mother's recovery. Kudos for choosing your two eating plans.

Hollyp – Yay for power. It's easy to get used to it. Such an interesting feeling, "almost there" - Kudos for recognizing it so you can be aware if it lingers beyond its welcome. To post in bold, click on the B icon above the message typing window. So many things in life are easy - after the first time, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 6 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating
experiment 6 Prove that you don't need to eat when you're upset.
what to do . . .
The next time you feel a negative emotion and want to eat in response, do the following:
. . .
4. Make a Response Card to help you cope. It might say:
Emotions are not an emergency. I don't have to eat.
I can tolerate this feeling. Eating won't solve this
problem. It will only make things worse because then
I'll have two problems: the original one, plus feeling
weak, guilty, discouraged, and worried that I may have
gained weight.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 88.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 12-04-2011 at 04:20 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #22  

Could use some suggestions here (Day 3: Eat Sitting Down). Mindfulness of what I eat is one of my biggest challenges. I have resurrected a card I made the first time I did Beck. It is decorated and it says "sit down" and it is now back on my refrigerator door. But what other things do you do to remind you of this?

Also have to confess that the iPhone reminder system for the advantages card did not repeat yesterday so didn't use it. I'll have to look into how I get it to repeat (I'm sure that is possible).

Also thinking on more and more detailed advantages. Stay tuned.

Thanx for the support.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #23  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

Yesterday defied planning, and yet I was very pleased with my ability to put my Beck skills to good use. We ended up at our local mexican restaurant for lunch. We used to eat out there 5 lunches a week and split nachos w/cheese and beans. Vegetarian, right?? Well, we haven't been there for at least 6 months and it was theoretically OK to do the same thing. I sat back and recognized I could make a better choice and ordered a bean tostada-no cheese. credit. I did have several bites of the nachos but DH sure enjoyed having the plate 95% to himself.

BillBlueEyes, Glenwood Hot Springs boasts the largest outdoor year round hotsprings. One pool is almost 2 blocks long and is 94 degrees. The hot pool is 104 degrees and is heavenly, especially in winter. It's only 10 ft from the door to the water which can be quite brisk. It's the place to be after skiing and we've certainly seen our share of famous folks after their day of skiing at Aspen.

Great job everyone, negotiating through all the daily food challenges. We're without heat at my moms this morning and I need to get a repair person in. It figures to happen on a weekend.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #24  
Beck follower

Gm friends!
Lexiss, . Where in CO are you? DS loves in steamboat and we are moving to Boulder soon. Cant wait! Love your SIT card idea, need to make one of those!

So setting out today to stick to planned menu. It does make me feel better. In exchange for that I am not counting cals and listening to mybhunger cues. Will do my pos reinforcements today all day and include one extra, "love myself a little today". A very important one for me.

Have a full day planned of activities and going to get some xmas lights, swim with my twins, planned exercise this am, I am so grateful tonhave heat again!

I was considering skipping a meal one day but am worried about slowed metabolism issues as I think mine is slow already. I want to show myself not eating os OK. And that hunger goes away but the key is to not PIG out at that next eaten meal, not sure I would have any control!

Happy saturday all, Holly
Old 12-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #25  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

GD everyone!! I was MIA yesterday because I spent 5 non-stop hours in a card tournament and I was exhausted. I put every ounce of my mental energies into winning and I was wiped out for the remainder of the day. One of my "Enriching My Life" means becoming quite the card shark. I have learned several games in the past several months, including poker, and now I am ready to begin to learn bridge.

I also made "Enriching Your Life" as one of the Team Challenges of the Buddy Challenge I am still hosting. I gave the directive to make a large collage of all of the activities they wanted to accomplish once they lost the weight. However, once they have done that little do they know but I am then going to ask them to start working on those things. No time like the present right?

Maplover I think the biggest "thing" that I have taken away from the BDS (Beck Diet Solution) is that: to become more aware and conscious of the choices we make regarding our food consumption, our relationship to food and how to control the outcome so that it is positive rather than negative.

It may not seem like a big deal once you are here long enough in this group but I also "belong" to two other non-Beck groups and let me tell you I read people struggling so much with their food plans and weight lose efforts that is reminds me how much this works when I "work it". I have shared with the other groups many of the Beck Principles. I am not sure how well they are received but I have shared and it is up to them how/what they wish to do with that information. Oh, did I mention, I am also a recovering codependent care-giver? As I remind myself, "teach by example." (either by doing what I do or don't do what I did)

I am fortunate in that I can take as long as I wish to eat my meals since I eat the majority of them at home. My biggest "beef" back a decade ago was when I had to eat my lunch within 20 minutes (by the time I walked to the lunchroom and then set my meal out). I could count on one hand how many times I was able to finish my lunch within that allotted time over a nearly four year period. IMO, the way American business is set up is to "foster" fast eating when you are on "their time". My Dad, who is also a very slow eater, used to complain about it for over 33 years until he retired. Now, he has the kind of meals he always wanted----Euro-hours not American minutes.

I guess, the only "suggestions" that I can come up with regarding mindful eating is to become very mechanical at it until it becomes a habit. I have heard of some people taking a bite, setting down their fork, chewing slowly, then picking up the fork and repeating. I have also heard of others who set a kitchen timer (or you could use a microwave timer as well) so that they "prolong" their meal time to a specific time.

The main stumbling block I am working on (and probably will forever) is staying within my recommended calorie range. Although, Dr. Beck doesn't address this issue directly (that I am aware of), it is very problematic for me. In fact, I am beginning to view my former enjoyment of eating out as something that may have to be shelved for the upcoming New Year, especially if I want to reach my maintenance goal this time next year. I'm mulling over that for the time being.

onebyone Isn't it amazing how small most serving sizes are especially when it comes to pasta? I watch these commercials for restaurants like Olive Garden and what they are showing is essentially 4-6x a normal serving size. I learned in the "Managing Diabetes" classes I took this past March that the USDA (here in the U.S.) is the one who sets the serving size you see listed on the food label. It is us (you and I) who are the ones who determine what portion size we wish to consume. Therein, lies one of the biggest "truths" I had to embrace for me to lose weight. Portion sizes are not the same as actual serving sizes. So glad you are finding out you can live with eating less and that you are okay with it. Major goes your way on this "discovery".

Lexxiss I remember taking a hot springs dip after a cold wintery outing. You lucky dog!! It doesn't get any better than that.

Bill Barbeque in Boston?? Who knew! So glad to hear that your work is near completion. Now, when does the tree et al go up?? Will we see final photos?

Today is the annual Christmas party. I am very happy to report that I had multiple outfits to choose from which is a first for me. I felt like a teen awaiting prom. I am also happy to report that I am wearing something that I saved from 13 years ago. It is a bottle green velour dress with matching cardigan. I decided to shorten the dress to street length to show off my slender gams, one of my best features. With some sparkly jewelry and a pair of new shoes, I am ready to accept a slow dance with Paul. This is life without extra food. It doesn't get any better!

Enjoy your day all!

Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 12-03-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hello Everyone,

It's a very snowy Saturday at my house now. Hoped to get all my errands done today so I don't have to venture out tomorrow but it looks like I'll be grocery shopping in the snow. Such is life when you live in Alberta!

Well after a really decent week OP I have to be honest and admit that since dinner last night I have not followed anything. I think at this point it's because I'm just tired and have no motivation to take the time to properly prepare any meals. It's not that I have been eating non-stop but the choices have not been good. But I'm not going to feel guilty about it and I know I have the tools to get back on track now and not let it continue.

I have weighed both days, tracked my pedometer steps and did go to boot camp this morning even though I really wanted to just stay in bed. I think I'll do that tomorrow morning.

pamatga Have a great time at your Christmas event tonight, I'm sure you look fabulous in your outfit showing off those great legs and new shoes.

onebyone Credit for having one serving of pasta. With DH's new journey it weight loss it was a big eye opener for him and the boys when I showed him what 1 serving really looked like. Because we do the calorie cycling we only have pasta on our higher calorie days. Big congrats on your 11 pound weight loss on WW.

fyreflie24 Congrats on being almost half way through your journey. Now that I'm on the down side it's hard to believe that it's working and I can do this. I focus on losing 2 pounds at a time and have one of my cards as a mini goal with the next 2 pound increment. When I started it read 175 and now it reads 166, it's quite hard for me to believe sometimes.

Hello to everyone else and hope you are enjoying your weekend.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #27  
Green Tomatoes

My eating didn't go at all well. A combination of that weird party time and an attempt to eat away some free-floating anxiety. Fortunately, the challenge of a mid-afternoon potluck is unusual. If I had to do it again, I would have my normal lunch and eat sparingly, if at all, at the party.

I'm jumping off the internet for a week or so. Here's a pledge to my coaches that I'm not jumping off my sane eating and that I will be back with a report on the 13th of December at the latest.

WI: +0.25 kgs, Exercise:+40 135/1300 minutes for December, Food: 60%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 12-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies!

Had very little sleep last night due to may dog being in lots of pain and crying all night. Poor girl! I did manage to eek out a productive day cleaning the garage and getting out the holiday decorations.

I ate all of my meals sitting, with only dinner in front of the TV. I did leave 1 bite on my plate at each meal too. I did not log my food, but will plan and log tomorrow's food first thing in the morning.

I've been thinking a lot over the last few days while posting and am curious to know from those of you on or closer to the maintenance part of life why was this time a success for you?

BillBlueEyes, great job at the BBQ place. Are you seeing a light at the end of the rennovation tunnel?

Fyreflie24, your success and enthusiasm are inspiring. Congratulations!

GardenerJoy, have a great week!

HollyP, glad you are getting back to normalicy. I guess the good thing about days long power outages is that you have to totally clean out the refidgerator and freezer, right? (Just don't think about the cost involved in replacing everything and focus on just restocking healthy stuff.) Hang in there with getting your plan set!

Lexxis, bummer not having heat! GREAT job beating the old habits of the Mexican restaurant. That is a real tough one for me!

Maplover, great job with the reminders. It is funny how much we can dread going back to what didn't succeed for us before.

Maryann, hope the wedding goes great!

Onebyone, great job with portion control for the pasta dinner.

PamAtGA, congratulations on the card tournament. What a great idea for your challenge.

Tazzy, great job getting your exercise done in spite of being off plan with food. I hate being too exhausted to get the basics done!
Old 12-04-2011, 12:42 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckfolks-

I am nursing some bad back pain. I am trying to make some good choices. This has been a tough 18 months for me, healthwise. I feel embarrassed to say that once again, something is wrong. I should/hope I'll be fine in a couple of days. I will carry on.

Checking in.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:09 AM   #30  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Ran into the kind of tension that gives me trouble. Seems that the guys who installed my baseboard heat some 30+ years ago took a shortcut to save themselves cutting one piece of metal. It didn't matter much at that time, but it gives me grief as I make some changes. So, I'm in for a little extra work and, worse, a slightly less appealing appearance. Ouch and D*rn!!! So, I did the first thing I could think of to solve the problem - I ate a handful of DW's trail mix. Double Ouch and Double D*arn, LOL, per "Now you have two problems ...".

I've devised a fix and will proceed today. DW laughs and points out that anyone who's done a bunch of carpentry gets better at accepting that projects always have little flaws that bug. I notice that contractors aren't phased by this kind of thing; they just barrel forward and don't mention it. Need to pay more attention to accepting this kind of thing since this one set my schedule back a day as I pondered a solution where the tiny flaw wouldn't be visible. There is one - it would take about a week to implement and I'd be the only one to notice anyway. So, today I'll move forward and work on acceptance.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Ouch for "free-floating anxiety" as a reason to eat - I do know about that one. Have a good journey off web.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – LOL that nachos w/cheese and beans is vegetarian - so it must be good for you. Kudos for a good choice at the Mexican restaurant. [Super neat to be swimming in a hot spring; I hadn't thought of that.]

Beverlyjoy – Sending supportive thoughts as you deal with reality once again. You certainly have had a challenging 18 months.

FutureFitChick – Ouch for the pain of watching a loved dog suffering. Congrats on a productive day cleaning out the garage - from someone for whom a garage would be heaven, LOL, since my neighborhood just doesn't do garages. [Yep, the renovation nears completion, although I'm becoming aware that it might never end since it includes putting back everything taken from the walls and rehanging pictures may take forever as each is re-evaluated for its right to be hung, LOL.]

Pam (pamaga) – First time I've heard "card shark" as a weight loss goal, LOL. Super Kudos for being able to make choices when dressing rather than just hoping something will fit. [DW just mentioned tree last night - it caught me by surprise that we're so close to Christmas.]

Tazzy - Yep, good choice, "get back on track now and not let it continue." Kudos for pedometer and boot camp even when not particularly feeling like it. And thanks for keeping the snow up there in Alberta, LOL.

maplover – Yep, nibbling while standing is a challenge - I like your "Sit Down" reminder on the fridge. No great suggestions from here. My own experience was that by working to be mindful, it slowly became easier to notice that I was putting food in my mouth while standing; from there it became easier to work on stopping.

Hollyp – Just terrific to work on "love myself a little today." My take is that skipping one meal won't affect your metabolism enough to be a big problem. I didn't experience the desire to PIG out at my next meal - that was a big surprise to me then.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 6 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating
experiment 6 Prove that you don't need to eat when you're upset.
what to do . . .
The next time you feel a negative emotion and want to eat in response, do the following:
. . .
5. Take steps to solve the distressing problem, if you can.
6. Write about how you feel in a journal, if you wish.
7. Talk about the problem with a friend or your Diet Buddy. He/she can help you change your thinking if you are viewing the situation in an unhelpful way.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 88.
Closed Thread