Weight Loss Support - My 3 Hard-and-Fast Rules of Weight Loss

Blueberries
11-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Overall, I'm pretty flexible with myself on this journey. I subscribe to the "this is not a temporary change" mentality, and celebrate lots of small milestones and behavior changes. If I felt like I had to adhere perfectly to something, I know without a doubt that I'd fail, so I treat this as the rest of my life.

All that being said, there are three rules I have for myself that are non-negotiable:
1. Always track and be accountable for everything I eat, every time I eat something.
2. Make good decisions as often as possible.
3. Never eat ice cream when I'm home alone (based on prior behavioral issues).

What are your thoughts? Do you have any rules of your own?

rainydays
11-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Your numbers one and two definitely apply to me. I'd also add that if I mess up, I have to immediately get right back on track. No excuses. Great list!

canadianwoman
11-29-2011, 05:46 PM
Your first two rules are similiar to mine. :)

JoJoJo2
11-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Great rules! Since I am 'maintaining' I also weigh myself daily - this helps keep me from starting to regain the lost lbs. :)

lin43
11-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Like the others, I agree completely with your first two rules; they apply to me as well.

I also agree with your last one, except that I would substitute pecan pie rather than ice-cream (although I love ice-cream, too). Pecan pie is a "red-light" food for me (to borrow a phrase I learned long ago in Overeater's Anon). A month or so ago, I made one, thinking that I could eat one slice every other night. I even froze slices to encourage moderation. Well, a day after I made it, I found myself in front of the freezer eating frozen pecan pie (which, incidentally, tastes better to me than when it's at room temperature)..

A recent rule I've made is to try to keep most snack foods out of the house, for the most part. I find that if it is there, I will eat it. This doesn't apply to all snacks; some are no problem. However, I don't buy chips, for example, because I don't need that 150-300 calories I would eat every night (and that's if I can control myself). I do occasionally eat that type of food, but I try to buy it in single servings rather than big bags from the grocery store.

alaskanlaughter
11-29-2011, 05:53 PM
i dont know if you call these Rules or not....but here is what I aim for:

- daily multivitamin
- get enough sleep
- exercise 6 out of 7 days per week (days off vary depending on my work schedule but i try to take sundays off, but if i know i cant exercise monday because of meetings all morning, i will exercise sunday and take monday off)
- track what i eat, good or bad, try to stay within 1400ish calories
- AIMING FOR limited sugar/healthy carbs, not always successful on that one :)

ValRock
11-29-2011, 06:33 PM
I only have ONE rule. Never EVER EVER eat out of boredom.

124chicksinger
11-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Eat lightly for breakfast/lunch--that way I get a more "normal" dinner.
Make healthy choices and try to eat from all food groups daily.
Dinner is one plate of dinner....no 2nds. If it happens to be pizza, it will be one slice, served with salad. I try to have generic protein/veg/starch dinners.
Don't graze--for instance when eating grapes, don't take an hour to eat the grapes. Eat them and be done. (I think popcorn might be excused from this rule).
Drink water. Even when I don't want to drink water.

racrane
11-29-2011, 07:37 PM
I like your rules. Very similar to mine. My rules are moderation, limit sugar, keep track of everything and keep trigger foods out of my dorm room.

My biggest trap is bingeing. I'd rather eat one really good slice of apple pie at my mom's then eat the whole pie by myself in my room and feel awful about it. This semester I've been doing very well with that. I hope I can keep it up. :)

Beach Patrol
11-30-2011, 12:34 PM
My rules are quite simple:

1. don't eat unless I'm hungry
2. don't let myself get TOO hungry
3. stop eating before I feel full
4. rinse & repeat :D

ChickieChicks
11-30-2011, 12:48 PM
My rules are quite simple:

1. don't eat unless I'm hungry
2. don't let myself get TOO hungry
3. stop eating before I feel full
4. rinse & repeat :D

I love these! Having "eaten just to eat" for so long, it has been a long road to learn how to eat until I'm almost full. Knowing my portion size saves me a lot of tummyaches! :o

forloveofself
11-30-2011, 03:44 PM
1. 100 carbs or less every day, which means virtually no white flour or white sugar, or potatoes ("addicted" to fresh breads)
2. Eat something at breakfast, still don't like eating first thing in the morning, know I must
3. gentle exercising everyday despite physical limitations
4. Overall, take care of myself, it's okay to say no sometimes

dana813
11-30-2011, 04:40 PM
1. Plan! I plan out my meals a day in advance, and always pack my lunch for work the night before. If I have everything planned, packed, and ready to go in the morning when I leave for work, I have no excuse to get food from McDonalds or the vending machine.

2. If I slip up, don't beat myself up over it. If I start feeling really guilty about a not-so-good food choice, I end up turning 1 off-plan day into 30 off-plan days. I try to stay on plan as much as possible, but if I do have a day where I get off track, I make myself get back on plan the very next meal.

3. Avoid fast food as much as possible. Whenever I go to a fast food place, I end up ordering way more food than I should and go waaaay over my calorie allowance for the day. I just have no self control when it comes to fast food, so it's better to avoid it.

girlonfire
11-30-2011, 04:49 PM
1. Food is meant to be enjoyed, not mindlessly stuffed in.
2. No food is "good" or "bad"- some foods are better than others. Once I qualify food, it leads to binges.
3. Only eat when the tummy rumbles.

loose seal
11-30-2011, 05:09 PM
1. Never, ever, ever go food shopping when you're hungry. EVER.
2. Think before you eat -- stop and ask yourself 'does my stomach want this or does my mouth want this?'
3. Just say 'No'.

loose seal
11-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Oh and I've realized that yes, sometimes it's ok to be hungry. Not blood-sugar-in-the-basement hungry but just you know, hungry.

Bulanova
11-30-2011, 07:35 PM
A lot of these rules everyone is posting are also mine! Some good ones! I do have one other I abide by that hasn't been mentioned. :)

When I go out to eat at restaurants, I have heard to ask for a to-go box at the beginning and then divide your meal in half right away and seal away one half in the box so you can finish what is on your plate without eating the whole thing. I have found this doesn't work so well for me - I end up just finishing the box as soon as I get home or before even leaving the restaurant - so in addition to doing that, I also eat something small (such as an apple) before going out to eat. If I'm hungry when I go out, I just end up eating the entire meal! Something small to knock off a little of the anticipation helps me not get so caught up in the euphoria of filling a rumbling tummy with delicious food.

lobsteriffic
12-01-2011, 03:39 AM
1. Peanut butter is not allowed into my house. EVER.

3CatsMeow
12-01-2011, 04:38 AM
1. WATER WATER WATER
2. Eat foods that keep my blood sugar steady (i.e no sweets/choc)
3. Make sure I get protein, fibre and fruit and veg in there

melodymist
12-01-2011, 06:24 AM
Don't overindulge just because you excercised.

sontaikle
12-01-2011, 06:36 AM
My number one rule is:

Don't let others bully you into eating something you don't want. Be a b*tch if you have to.

nat123
12-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Great idea! i think rules are a much more efficient for staying on track...and reasonable ones at that..

My rules

1.Eat slowly...no need to rush!
2.Wait half an hour after a meal before even contemplating on having an 'after-meal-snack' which is usually SWEET
3. If you do cave in to a craving do NOT beat yourself up because it usually leads to a guilt-induced binge
4. If you're feeling lazy to go to the gym put on your gym clothes anyway... (great motivator)
5. Love yourself and your body despite the many changes you wish to make...i find that hating myself leads to self-loath binges :(

GonnaTurnHeads
12-01-2011, 10:55 AM
1.) Always go to the gym. Always. No excuses.
2.) Drink lots of fluids - always go with the lowest calorie/no sugar option. (Tea and Water always win)
3.) Keep track of what I eat, good or bad and never punish myself for it. No guilt, just accountability!

lin43
12-01-2011, 04:04 PM
My number one rule is:

Don't let others bully you into eating something you don't want. Be a b*tch if you have to.

I love this one! Incidentally, my husband, who is "naturally" thin & has NEVER had a weight problem, does exactly this. Even if there is just one bite of something he really loves left, he will absolutely not eat it if he is full already. Even if I'm the food pusher and say, "Come on---there's only one bite left; have it"--he won't. I've learned a lot from that behavior. When he or anyone else tries to push food on me, unless I really want it, I refuse to eat it.

sontaikle
12-01-2011, 05:57 PM
I love this one! Incidentally, my husband, who is "naturally" thin & has NEVER had a weight problem, does exactly this. Even if there is just one bite of something he really loves left, he will absolutely not eat it if he is full already. Even if I'm the food pusher and say, "Come on---there's only one bite left; have it"--he won't. I've learned a lot from that behavior. When he or anyone else tries to push food on me, unless I really want it, I refuse to eat it.

My fiancee is exactly the same way!!

If you put his favorite food in the entire world in front of him and he's not hungry, he won't eat it. I wish I was like him!

melodymist
12-02-2011, 03:30 AM
My number one rule is:

LIKE!

canadianwoman
12-02-2011, 04:48 AM
My number one rule is:

My new sig!! :D:carrot: ...........and excellent advice.:D

Blueberries
12-02-2011, 10:54 AM
I love all of these that everybody's added.

My fiancee is exactly the same way!!

If you put his favorite food in the entire world in front of him and he's not hungry, he won't eat it. I wish I was like him!

Yep, my husband is the same way. You'd think after seven years of marriage it would have rubbed off on me by now. Not so much.

peanutt
12-02-2011, 11:26 AM
My list:
1. Record and track anything eaten, even if it's off-plan or a "cheat".
2. Look out for myself first. It's not selfishness, it's self-preservation.
3. Move every single day.
4. Don't eat mindlessly or blindly.
5. Food is not love.

lissvarna
12-02-2011, 05:39 PM
1. Eat light for breakfast and lunch. Dinner is usually the meal I want the most, and I can have a pretty big dinner when I follow the first two rules.
2. No craft beer, ever. (this one makes me sad..) Too high in calories. If I have one, I won't be able to get something light if I have a 2nd drink.
3. Always go to the gym. Even if I only have time for a 15 minute workout; the habit of going keeps me motivated.
4. Track and count every bite of food and every minute of exercise.

lin43
12-02-2011, 07:09 PM
1. Eat light for breakfast and lunch. Dinner is usually the meal I want the most, and I can have a pretty big dinner when I follow the first two rules

I don't know if you count calories, but if you do, what has helped me is to start my "day's" counting with dinner rather than breakfast. So, for example, today's dinner calories go on tomorrow's log. They get added to breakfast & lunch tomorrow to form a full day's calories. I start my "day" at 5:00 p.m., so anything eaten between 5 p.m. on one day and 5 p.m. on the next day is one day's calories. Doing this has really helped me to stay on track since dinner is my most unpredictable meal; it's much easier for me to know what I'm eating for breakfast and lunch than it is for me to know what I'm eating for dinner.

Esofia
12-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Interesting. I find it easier to adjust dinner when I start counting at the start of the day, since it's easier to play around with a larger range of calories than it is a smaller range. My dinners vary by up to 150cal, but I would have trouble concocting a breakfast for less than a certain amount.

NCchickie
12-03-2011, 01:50 PM
1. Eat sitting down with the food on a plate. No standing up, no nibbling while cooking. Being fully conscious of every mouthful makes a difference.
2. No second helpings.
3. Don't eat off anyone else's plate.
4. Do meaningful exercise each day.

Esofia
12-03-2011, 02:44 PM
1. Track everything I eat and drink, and as far as possible, do this before I consume it.
2. Measure food in some way or other, tailoring the accuracy of the measurement to the fat and calorie density of the item. So I count almonds individually and weigh edamame beans, but I make rough estimates about spinach.
3. Weigh daily and keep an eye on the overall trend rather than the individual days. This helps me know that the diet is working, and it also helps to keep me realistic so that I don't overreact to temporary minor ups and downs.

severine
12-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Love these! Some good ideas here. My rules:

1. Track everything I eat (even if I regret it) and all my exercise. I am a data geek and the stats keep me motivated.
2. Drink 2 litres of water every day.
3. 5 hours of exercise per week, minimum.
4. "If the problem isn't hunger, the solution isn't food."
5. No quitting!

Rule #4 is by far the hardest for me. It's a work in progress!